Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252550 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9200 on: July 13, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
MOD NOTE: An ongoing  debate over guns is veering way off topic. If you feel the need, start an "off topic" thread and copy over the relevant posts.

Honestly, I'm not that dedicated to this. So I'll drop it if others will.

Just caught up with the warning. I'm done.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9201 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of absolutes....

THIS! THIS! It applies to so many things in life and yet, people I know very well seem to debate in absolutes. No shade of grey, or varying degrees of focus between the absolutes.

Thank you all for some really good thoughtful discussion about so many topics. I had some time off today and I'm hellbent on getting to the end of this thread as it stand today. Sorry for the response overload from me. There will probably be three pages at the end just from me running my mouth.

Keep it coming!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9202 on: July 13, 2015, 02:41:23 PM »
Yeah, your manhood depends on owning (or being in debt for) a couple of tons of metal that were manufactured in a factory and that anyone can buy, including wimps and females. But a couple of tons manufactured in a different shape (Prius) is wussy. And manhood is also something that you have to insure, and you can lose it completely in a car accident. Gosh, that manliness is delicate, just like testicles.

And sometimes that big lump of American pickup truck badass is actually built in another country like Mexico or Canada. ;)

I once worked on a couple of industrial projects for Harley-Davidson at my employer. Several significant parts of that American symbol of 'Murica were made in Italy, Taiwan, etc. Nice bike no doubt but I didn't want to hear any more grief about my older used Honda that I paid nearly nothing for and rode year 'round (our second family vehicle during that period).

Actually today - let them point and make fun at those "non-American" rice burners while I chuckle about their non-American-but-"American" bikes.

People also often ignore the fact that those foreign car companies "stealing our jobs" in fact have factories in the US and employ American workers. I owned a Subaru with a sticker saying it was made in Indiana. I live about 20 miles from a pretty big (from the look of it) Toyota factory. If Toyota went out of business tomorrow, those (American) people working at that factory would all be out of a job.

To the masculinity thing: It's actually really ironic to me personally because I associate big trucks more with women than men anyway. I worked at a place with a drive-thru for about 2 years and a vast majority of the big trucks that came through were being driven by women and that formed the association in my mind.

I'm one of the minority that doesn't cares whats "masculine." I drive what I drive because I like it, I wear what I want because it's comfortable, I have no shame in enjoying both the football and theater, and anyone that has a problem with this can kiss me @$@ :-). Life's too short to do things you don't want to do.

+1 to both of you. Yeah, me too - do what I want to, drive what I want to, etc. I'm glad for any company to be here in the USA employing Americans. Jobs are a good thing for our economy. Back during the depths of the "Great Recession" the desperate and unemployed were starting to steal things and shift their energy into things that lead to arrests...  The newspaper had plenty to report. This person stealing, that person making meth, another passing bad checks, etc. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9203 on: July 13, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »
People also often ignore the fact that those foreign car companies "stealing our jobs" in fact have factories in the US and employ American workers. I owned a Subaru with a sticker saying it was made in Indiana. I live about 20 miles from a pretty big (from the look of it) Toyota factory. If Toyota went out of business tomorrow, those (American) people working at that factory would all be out of a job.

My father gave me grief for driving an Indiana-built Subaru rather than an "American" car, like his Ontario-built Ford.

I had a very embarrassed coworker who adamantly argued his Ford or Dodge or whatever was American made while the other coworker's Asian brand vehicle wasn't. Finally when the facts were checked, the American brand driver got really, really quiet. His was built across the border and the car was built in the states. He gota lot of ribbing for that one.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9204 on: July 13, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »
Beaverlick, Ky is a wonderful little community; and the locals get a bit mad when you laugh at the name.

is that anywhere near Flippin', Kentucky? (a real place)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9205 on: July 13, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »

We just did this - for the second time, for my wife. The iPhone 4s is nearing the end of life meaning none of the software upgrades will work with it starting later this year.

Not true! iOS 9 will work on the iPhone 4s.

http://www.evad3rs.net/2014/10/ios-9-supported-devices-compatibility.html

Then the salesman at the Apple store lied to us. We didn't buy from him that day. Just asked questions. DW purchased her phone online from Apple.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:29:28 PM by Joe Average »

Pylon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9206 on: July 13, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »
Man, if I could get a house here for "nearly 200k", I would have signed yesterday.

No kidding, if I sold my current home and bought one for 200k I would have over 250k cash left over.  What a boost that would be to my nest egg.

$200,000 buys a really nice house here.  I spent less than half that on mine.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9207 on: July 13, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Man how did I miss the y'all conversation?

I agree- y'all is NEVER singular. It is always plural.
All y'all is more plural.

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I would love to hear such a robust southernism pulled off in a British accent.

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:
You might could do that but instead maybe you should do this.

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

"Fixin' to" is a popular expression in Kentucky as well, followed shortly with the standard confirmation query, "Ya-un-to?"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9208 on: July 13, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.
Uh oh time for an oil change. Might as well buy a new car instead of paying the $50 to get it changed at the dealer... I guess some people never learn!

...or changing it in the driveway yourself... Takes me about 20 mins including cleaning up.

Some cars, sure. But I can't get the oil filter on my Miata off without a lot of swearing and annoyances. Frankly, I'll go to the shop to do it every time. Besides, after the cost of oil it is about $10 for them to do it for me.

yeah, my CR-V is like that. The filter is way up on the back of the engine. Can't see it while you loosen or tighten it b/c your arm is in the way. Not a big deal. Have done all the oil changes since 1999 when we bought it or about ~300K miles ago.

You just have to adapt.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9209 on: July 13, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »
MOD NOTE: An ongoing  debate over guns is veering way off topic. If you feel the need, start an "off topic" thread and copy over the relevant posts.

Honestly, I'm not that dedicated to this. So I'll drop it if others will.

Just caught up with the warning. I'm done.

I would be cautiously interested in a thread on gun control, as long as everyone can be polite. It's something I find fascinating about America because it seems to be such an integral part of all y'all's (I did it!) self-image but it's something I really, truly and fundamentally do not understand.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9210 on: July 13, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
[That does sound like a good plan. Any ideas on where to buy these inexpensively? I am moving in about a month, and want to get a set of good containers for making lunch and dinners.

Search amazon for "Pyrex Storage 10-Piece Set, Clear with Blue Lids"

That's the very same set.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9211 on: July 13, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with Disney. My younger child claims a classmate has been six times. Friends of modest means have gone for whole weeks on a package deals that they might not have been able to afford (complaining about money woes in other budget departments). I used to live near the place for a while and don't feel compelled to ever go there. Not for the Disney characters, not for the rides and mostly b/c of the cost.

Oh, I understand it.  We have been twice.  Both times during the 'low week' of the year; not only is there almost no lines, the trip costs about half as much as at any point in the rest of the year.

http://www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com/2013/09/final-ultimate-field-trip/

Pity, it looks like they don't do this anymore.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9212 on: July 13, 2015, 03:12:25 PM »

That's a shame. There are a few people I work with like that, but I think of them as quaint country-folk, not as the norm. I suppose over the years I've taught myself to separate people from their politics, since most people mean well, just haven't looked into the science and facts much.

I live and work in a rural area of a northern state.  I have had actual discussions with coworkers disagreeing that Obama has not, in fact, had the most Executive Orders ever.  This is something that is a fact, and can be found online.  But nope, the Dictator in Chief is definitely just sending out dozens of those babies every week.  Also, carbon dating is a giant worldwide conspiracy theory and they're doing it wrong, because the 6,000 years old earth as stated in the Bible is the way it really is. Oy.

And dinosaurs never existed the same folks insist. Wife gave up 15-20 mins to a coworker once who wanted to make his point that the world was only 6,000 years old and never any dinosaurs. This was a college educated person too...

I thought the dinosaurs coexisted with humans. Didn't Jesus ride one into Damascus?

Maybe... Maybe... (running for the door to avoid a sermon) HEHE

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9213 on: July 13, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
I use the rectangular pyrex for entree/side leftovers (place all in one container. Another good option for soups and salads (my usual lunch) is the good ole Mason/Ball jars (wide mouth). Also freezer safe so I usually make a big batch of soup, put into jars, freeze and when lunch is needed, pack it in my lunch box. Bonus that since its frozen I'm not worried about having it sit in my lunch box at my desk until lunch (the office fridge should require HazMAt suit to open).

Are Mason jars microwaveable as well? (Learn something new every day...)

Proper mason jars, yes.  In fact, most any real glass is microwavable, but not all will actually claim it, in case a defect causes it to burst.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9214 on: July 13, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with Disney. My younger child claims a classmate has been six times. Friends of modest means have gone for whole weeks on a package deals that they might not have been able to afford (complaining about money woes in other budget departments). I used to live near the place for a while and don't feel compelled to ever go there. Not for the Disney characters, not for the rides and mostly b/c of the cost.

And people take their kid that's 2 or 3. That kid is not going to remember a thing! The parents are doing it for themselves.

Yep. Not sure I understand what's fascinating about that place for an adult though... Again live and let live and all that... ;)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9215 on: July 13, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

And people take their kid that's 2 or 3. That kid is not going to remember a thing! The parents are doing it for themselves.

Yep. Not sure I understand what's fascinating about that place for an adult though... Again live and let live and all that... ;)

Walt Disney World is the #1 honeymoon destination in the world.  A lot of people go there to get married there.  I've never been there without kids, but I do know they have areas of the resort that are definately not intended for children.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9216 on: July 13, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
"That late fee is $29! And who has $29 lying around? I know I don't!"

O or E?  This gets funnier the higher up I imagine the quote coming from.

I'd be embarrassed to say something like that out-loud. I want to show my superiors that I can manage my own affairs, build their confidence in my ability to take care of things so in my professional capacity they will trust me and rely on me.

Imagine a work place where someone says something silly like that during a meeting or complains they are broke and BAM! - they are fired on the spot. Can't manage your life on a generous (competitive) salary? Then why should I trust your expertise as a professional in my company. We pay you to be smarter than that...

Reality returns: never mind, having short sighted employees can be useful too I'm sure. A previous employer liked to have folks up to their noses in debt (I think) - employees were a little desperate to keep their job and would work ridiculous hours and go dangerous places like the border towns of Mexico to manage projects.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:34:58 PM by Joe Average »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9217 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

"Fixin' to" is a popular expression in Kentucky as well, followed shortly with the standard confirmation query, "Ya-un-to?"

Ever heard "of the night"? Its been a while since I heard anyone use it in a sentence but I recall it being used in place of tonight or last night. Might have been a one man linguistic malfunction but that's what a fellow I knew two decades ago would say.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9218 on: July 13, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »

Walt Disney World is the #1 honeymoon destination in the world.  A lot of people go there to get married there.  I've never been there without kids, but I do know they have areas of the resort that are definately not intended for children.

What do you mean? Serious restaurants? Pub style places? Topless dancing revues? Seven dwarves doing bawdy standup comedy?? ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:36:31 PM by Joe Average »

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9219 on: July 13, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »

Love it.

Ever heard "of the night"? Its been a while since I heard anyone use it in a sentence but I recall it being used in place of tonight or last night. Might have been a one man linguistic malfunction but that's what a fellow I knew two decades ago would say.
Well, yes; but that phrase is particularly context dependent, and I've never thought of it as a regional thing.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9220 on: July 13, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »

Love it.

Well, yes; but that phrase is particularly context dependent, and I've never thought of it as a regional thing.

Can you give me an example of it being used in a sentence? I can't quite remember how he used it.

Finally read this whole thread!!!! Guess it's time to move on to the Heard on Facebook thread... ;)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9221 on: July 13, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »

What do you mean? Serious restaurants?

Yes, there is that.

Pub style places?

Yes, those too.  Mostly in 'Downtown Disney', but both those can be found inside the parks as well.  Most require reservations 6+ months in advance, and I've been to several.

Topless dancing revues?

Nothing like this, no.

Seven dwarves doing bawdy standup comedy?? ;)

Well, close.  Not terriblely bawdy, but PG13 or so, yes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9222 on: July 13, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
I use the rectangular pyrex for entree/side leftovers (place all in one container. Another good option for soups and salads (my usual lunch) is the good ole Mason/Ball jars (wide mouth). Also freezer safe so I usually make a big batch of soup, put into jars, freeze and when lunch is needed, pack it in my lunch box. Bonus that since its frozen I'm not worried about having it sit in my lunch box at my desk until lunch (the office fridge should require HazMAt suit to open).

Are Mason jars microwaveable as well? (Learn something new every day...)

Yes, you can microwave them.  I use them for soup and to portion out yogurt (wide mouth pints and half pints are very convenient).  Wal-Mart sells plastic lids that fit on Mason jars and are much handier than the 2-piece canning lids.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9223 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

1) A lot of nostalgia from the few times I went there as a kid
2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

I don't really care about the characters, but Disney does a better job of immersing you in another world than other theme parks.  Last time I was there, I fully wasted my money eating at the restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean.   You're in the frickin' bayou.

p.s. it's cheesy as hell, but so am I

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9224 on: July 13, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »

Can you give me an example of it being used in a sentence? I can't quite remember how he used it.

Finally read this whole thread!!!! Guess it's time to move on to the Heard on Facebook thread... ;)

"She was a lady of the night" would be one context that had nothing to do with "Remember that dinner we ate (of) the night of that big lightin; storm?"  The ( ) part being grammaticly unnecessary, but often used..
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:50:56 PM by MoonShadow »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9225 on: July 13, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »
So replacing the grammatically correct "on" with "of".

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9226 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »

Topless dancing revues?

Nothing like this, no.

Well, I asked Ariel really nicely to take off her clams....

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9227 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

1) A lot of nostalgia from the few times I went there as a kid
2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.

And a lot of the real resturants in the parks are just plain cool, whether or not you have kids.  Remember Cinderella's castle that is in every advertisment?  There is a 6+ month advance reservation resturant inside there, where all the servers are characters from the movie.  And they don't do this half way, this looks real up close, even when you know it can't be so.  However, that turned out to be $150 per plate, so I never did it again; but damn, was it an entertaining brunch.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9228 on: July 13, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »

Topless dancing revues?

Nothing like this, no.

Well, I asked Ariel really nicely to take off her clams....

I'd bet she very politely declined.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9229 on: July 13, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
So replacing the grammatically correct "on" with "of".

I guess so, but I never really thought about it before.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #9230 on: July 13, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
... I studied several Romance languages at school and always appreciated being able to distinguish between the singular 'you' and the plural 'you', especially on the internet where tone fails can result in a lot of fallout. I therefore took to using "y'all" when I mean "you people generally" as it lessens the chance of an individual poster thinking that I am talking about (and possibly insulting) them personally. In this case I used it to distinguish between "you, the poster I am replying to" and "all of you Americans generally".

Careful! Y'all is often singular. Use "all y'all" to be sure.

Another option, used about as often as y'all in this area, is y'uns. Short for you 'uns, of course.

ETA a husband tells me "y'all" was pretty well universally adopted aboard ship (US Navy) because it fills a practical need.

What the heck are yinz talking about?

There's a Pittsburgher in the house!

The Chinese also have a word for y'all...ni men.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, but I never used yinz. I've only come across one sentence where "you ones" would've made sense. I picked up y'all almost immediately when I left the Burgh though ("y'all" at least makes grammatical sense to me).

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9231 on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9232 on: July 13, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
I mention that he should have looked at a mini-van if he needed the extra space and it would get better MPG. He looked at me with a shocked look and stated he would never be caught dead driving a mini-van...

Anymore the minivan hate tells me alot about the person I'm talking to - such as appearances > utility. The American rejection of minivan people haulers is just dumb. Its a tool and if it fits use it. I've driven some very comfortable minivans.

The one my inlaws has can tow 2,000+ pounds, gets high 20s in MPG on the highway (probably not when towing...), and fits a full size couch into it with all doors shut (!!).

More useful than most people's trucks.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9233 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.
She called you "massa"; you spoke to her, leading with "you people"; and she didn't even change her expression?!?!?!  This is so wrong on so many levels . . . *eyes bugging out of my head, ears bleeding*

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9234 on: July 13, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »
She called you "massa"; you spoke to her, leading with "you people"; and she didn't even change her expression?!?!?!  This is so wrong on so many levels . . . *eyes bugging out of my head, ears bleeding*

Yeah, I'm not sure if that was word for word, I'm going off memory.  Still, she didn't break her character; no matter how many levels of wrong I may have been.

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9235 on: July 14, 2015, 06:38:45 AM »
For a non native english speaker, what does "massa" means? couldn't find on google =(

And I'm totally partial on regards to disney. I went once when I was 25, and it was like a dream. I felt like I was 8. Everything was just magical, the architecture, the characters, every single detail taken care of to make you feel like you are indeed on a magical land.
It was some childhood dream to me. But even I would not return every year, or multiple times in a short period. I have plans to going again two or three times during my lifetime, though.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9236 on: July 14, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
For a non native english speaker, what does "massa" means? couldn't find on google =(

It's a colloquial or phonetic spelling of master, which draws on the terrible history of the enslavement of black people in the US.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9237 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:03 AM »

It's a colloquial or phonetic spelling of master, which draws on the terrible history of the enslavement of black people in the US.
"Enslavement" is such an ugly word.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9238 on: July 14, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9239 on: July 14, 2015, 07:13:19 AM »

I've been called "master" exactly once in a non-bdsm setting that was the correct use of the term. I was about 13 at the time, and "master" is the male equivalent of "miss".

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9240 on: July 14, 2015, 07:17:14 AM »

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!
My upbringing was Yankee as hell, and I'm perfectly capable of using 100% standard English, but I freely admit to regularly using such colloquialisms after a dozen years in Alabama and Mississippi. All y'all can just freakin' deal with it xD

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9241 on: July 14, 2015, 07:32:57 AM »
Aaaaaah....

"Y'all" tends to be restricted to our rural friends from lower latitudes.   Here in the PNW we say "you guys."

I am, at this moment, sitting at SeaTac waiting my flight to Heathrow.  Perhaps I will bump into you there?

As an Indian person, born in Canada, but lived in Atlanta for 20+ years I can't help but use y'all and find this comment more offensive than a lot of the recent race discussions from the Facebook thread.

Don't worry, I'm not mad over it just think it's interesting how American it is to throw around labels and classify people....

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9242 on: July 14, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
On "might could":  I grew up hearing and using that expression--and I still use it in colloquial speech, even after later learning to regard it as "non-standard usage" and an example of a "double modal."

In my experience, though, "might could" has a shade of meaning that "might" and "could" do not have on their own.  "I might do it" indicates doubt about doing the thing; "I could do it" indicates conditionality, ability, or ability in the past; "I might could do it" indicates doubt about the ability to do the thing.  "I might could do it tomorrow" means something like "It's possible, but not certain, that I will be able to do it tomorrow."  I've grown to have a great affection for the precision of double modals and use them quite gleefully now, but would likely modulate to something more standard in more formal situations ("I might be able to" instead of "I might could," for example).  :)

And now, something I overheard at work.  :)  "Yeah, I was all about saving money when I was in college.  When I was a senior I even went to some kind of talk that Clark Howard gave, and he was talking about how his wife shops at consignment stores, even though they have so much money now.  That was the end of the whole Clark Howard thing for me--I mean, if shopping at consignment stores is the end point, then it's just not worth it to me."

(edited to clarify who gave the talk!)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:47:21 PM by Zoot »

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #9243 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »
Growing up and living most of my life in Oklahoma, I've heard some interesting things said regularly... "might could" is one of them.  "Fixin' to" is another one that's used a lot.  As in "I'm fixin' to go to the store."  But my dad always used to say one that I am especially fond of.  He would say "how come" instead of why.  "How come it's taking you so long to get ready."  :)  I don't hear it often but whenever I do, it makes me smile.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9244 on: July 14, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
As an Indian person, born in Canada, but lived in Atlanta for 20+ years I can't help but use y'all and find this comment more offensive than a lot of the recent race discussions from the Facebook thread.

Don't worry, I'm not mad over it just think it's interesting how American it is to throw around labels and classify people....
I grew up with "you guys" and TBH, after years of migrating around and using/hearing both, I think "y'all" is more functional. Also find it amusing that the more liberal/PC regions prefer the inherently sexist version of the second-person plural... ahaha xD

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9245 on: July 14, 2015, 07:50:39 AM »
If you want to flame anyone for why "y'all" is used, direct those flames at the French for invading England and causing the loss of "thou".

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9246 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
If you want to flame anyone for why "y'all" is used, direct those flames at the French for invading England and causing the loss of "thou".
I was just musing upon that question. It seemed clear that both colloquialisms sprang from the lack of a clear second-person plural but I didn't know why.
It's funny how language does shit like that. I spent a whole day recently reading about the evolution of Latin into other Mediterranean and European languages after the fall of the Roman Empire. I could have gone much longer.

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #9247 on: July 14, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
The spread of the new-car disease within my office has been something to behold.

Years ago, before I found MMM yet was semi-frugal, I ditched my used car with ongoing mechanical problems for a new Civic, which I still own. Within less than six months, three of my coworkers had purchased new cars as well. Facepunch round 1.

Fast forward several years, and Coworker 1 has replaced her new vehicle not once, but twice. She had to sell the latest vehicle quickly (long story) and somehow managed to talk Coworker 2 into taking over the payments. Three years go by, and Coworker 2 is tired of having to get the vehicle serviced three hours away (no dealership in town). Coworker 2 then custom orders himself a new vehicle, has it delivered, then proceeds to try to sell the other vehicle on his own, thinking he'll get more money that way. Well, it ain't selling, which means he's got to take it to the nearest dealership, which is almost two hundred miles away, to sell it at a loss because he can't handle two payments.  Facepunch round 2.

And, guess who's been asked to drive all the way to the dealership to give him a ride home because he's too cheap/broke to rent a car one-way or take public transportation? [Aims fist at own face.]

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #9248 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
Get ready for this ....

Me: Where are you going today???
Bingo - I took a half day off of work.
Me: Oh??When was the last time you went?
Sunday
Me: Oh?! Did you win???
NO I lost $700!!! I am going to make it back
Me: How much did you bring today?
$300

Me (To myself) WTF are you CRAZY!!!!! You took half day off of work to LOSE another $300 after losing $700!!!!!! You need a facepunching MACHINE installed in your car ... everytime you get into it to go to anywhere other than work you should be face punched ....

Meanwhile ... on my planet Mushtachian ... I off to have some delish homemade hummus and make my own coffee ... saving almost $5

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9249 on: July 14, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »
Get ready for this ....

Me: Where are you going today???
Bingo - I took a half day off of work.
Me: Oh??When was the last time you went?
Sunday
Me: Oh?! Did you win???
NO I lost $700!!! I am going to make it back
Me: How much did you bring today?
$300

Me (To myself) WTF are you CRAZY!!!!! You took half day off of work to LOSE another $300 after losing $700!!!!!! You need a facepunching MACHINE installed in your car ... everytime you get into it to go to anywhere other than work you should be face punched ....

Meanwhile ... on my planet Mushtachian ... I off to have some delish homemade hummus and make my own coffee ... saving almost $5
Wow! That is some expensive bingo. I used to sometimes go to bingo with my sister as a cheap night out, it cost something like €5 a sheet and you could play up to four sheets, IIRC. Great night out, but, spending a grand on it in less than a week? Consider my gast truly flabbered!