Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252976 times)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9150 on: July 11, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
Co-worker A is leaving to make six-figures at a consulting gig. She'll be traveling all week and just home for weekends. All expenses during the week will be comped. Co-worker B and I were telling her that she should "live" with her mom on the weekends since she would have essentially zero expenses and could save about six-figures a year.

Instead, A is going to get a bigger apartment (she won't be using all week), with a new couch (the old one has dog pee on it--I'm guessing the new one soon will also), and paying for dog care during the week (instead of the dog keeping her mom company for free), a new phone, etc.

I don't mean to be judgmental, but that's just plain dumb.

Edit:  +1 for the poor doggie.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9151 on: July 12, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »
I just tried finding median cost instead of average cost and nothing came up on the first page.  If median cost is much lower than average cost, that doesn't make interesting news, does it?  (Sarcasm). So no coverage.

Well apparently the average cost of a wedding in Canada is $32k.
However, I expect the median to be lower. And of course, I expect that any Mustachian in Canada can throw a wedding that costs far less than the median.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9152 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
Here too.  Once upon a time "guys" was only used to refer to men, but "gals" was never popular, and over the years "guys" has come to be gender neutral.  It felt a bit strange the first few times I used "you guys" and "guys" for all female groups, but now it produces nary a twinge.  It is actually very useful.  What about "youse"?  I had never heard it until I moved to SE Ontario, and even then it seems to be local and rarely used. 

"Y'all" tends to be restricted to our rural friends from lower latitudes.   Here in the PNW we say "you guys."

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #9153 on: July 12, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Here too.  Once upon a time "guys" was only used to refer to men, but "gals" was never popular, and over the years "guys" has come to be gender neutral.  It felt a bit strange the first few times I used "you guys" and "guys" for all female groups, but now it produces nary a twinge.  It is actually very useful.  What about "youse"?  I had never heard it until I moved to SE Ontario, and even then it seems to be local and rarely used. 

"Y'all" tends to be restricted to our rural friends from lower latitudes.   Here in the PNW we say "you guys."

One hears "youse" and "youse guys" in Philadelphia a lot.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9154 on: July 12, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Man how did I miss the y'all conversation?

I agree- y'all is NEVER singular. It is always plural.
All y'all is more plural.

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I would love to hear such a robust southernism pulled off in a British accent.

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:
You might could do that but instead maybe you should do this.

Love it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:04:49 PM by Megma »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9155 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
I mention that he should have looked at a mini-van if he needed the extra space and it would get better MPG. He looked at me with a shocked look and stated he would never be caught dead driving a mini-van...

Anymore the minivan hate tells me alot about the person I'm talking to - such as appearances > utility. The American rejection of minivan people haulers is just dumb. Its a tool and if it fits use it. I've driven some very comfortable minivans.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9156 on: July 13, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »
Quote from: Megma link=topic=2540.msg728567#msg728567

I suppose it might be something like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcwyI-NlvI
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:43:51 PM by shelivesthedream »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9157 on: July 13, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »

"Youse" is common in Buffalo, but honestly, we're basically SE Ontario as well.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9158 on: July 13, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »

One hears "youse" and "youse guys" in Philadelphia a lot.

And "wudder," which really threw me for a loop. (Water.)

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9159 on: July 13, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

I had a coworker previously who was from rural NC but lived in London for 5+ years - fabulous accent!

And while I'm here, we also say y'all in Kansas, where I'm from though not all y'all, I've only heard that in NC. Another NC favorite of mine is "might could" as in:

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9160 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

Love it.

Or else "fixin' to" - I'm fixin' to go to the store, can I borrow your credit card?

"I'mma" (I'm + gonna) - I'mma get wasted tonight!

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9161 on: July 13, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »

Wrong.  Y'all is singular.  All Y'all is plural.  Alloyall is when speaking to a group. 

All y'all ain't never seen a reflexive double negative before?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9162 on: July 13, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
Coworker: I just really don't like eating leftovers. It just seems like a lot of work to cook extra.
Me: uh huh (I was in a bad mood)
Coworker: Yeah, plus the whole tupperware thing grosses me out. I heard they give you cancer if you use them in the microwave
Me: <as I dump my tupperwared lasagna onto a paper plate to heat up> really?

Coworker: Proceeds to heat up a lean cuisine

I've always been a little worried about what the LC frozen lunch containers are lined with. Can't be wax b/c it would melt in the microwave. Is it some sort of oil derivative like wax? (i.e. still just as worrying).

As for Tupperware - we quit plastic food storage containers a few years back. Our plastic containers were aging badly and I worried that some of the plastic might be leaching into our food during microwave use b/c the plastic was so rough looking inside. We still have plastic mixing bowls and a couple pieces of food storage containers. 

Our solution was glassware with plastic tops. Take the top off before you nuke the food. Now several years later everything still looks new and it wasn't that expensive. Multiple brands to choose from. Can buy lids and bowls separately. We have a mix of Italian and American brands. Tough glassware too. I have dropped a few pieces along the way on our linoleum floor and they did not break. So far they seem like a good long term solution.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9163 on: July 13, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »
Coworker: I just really don't like eating leftovers. It just seems like a lot of work to cook extra.
Coworker: Yeah, plus the whole tupperware thing grosses me out. I heard they give you cancer if you use them in the microwave

I've always been a little worried about what the LC frozen lunch containers are lined with. Can't be wax b/c it would melt in the microwave. Is it some sort of oil derivative like wax? (i.e. still just as worrying).

As for Tupperware - we quit plastic food storage containers a few years back. Our plastic containers were aging badly and I worried that some of the plastic might be leaching into our food during microwave use b/c the plastic was so rough looking inside. We still have plastic mixing bowls and a couple pieces of food storage containers. 

Our solution was glassware with plastic tops. Take the top off before you nuke the food. Now several years later everything still looks new and it wasn't that expensive. Multiple brands to choose from. Can buy lids and bowls separately. We have a mix of Italian and American brands. Tough glassware too. I have dropped a few pieces along the way on our linoleum floor and they did not break. So far they seem like a good long term solution.

That does sound like a good plan. Any ideas on where to buy these inexpensively? I am moving in about a month, and want to get a set of good containers for making lunch and dinners.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #9164 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
I've bought two different sets of pyrex bowls with lids in assorted sizes from Costco. DW and I use them everyday for lunch and leftovers storage.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9165 on: July 13, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
Yep, I know a guy who owns a furniture business. He once told me, in all seriousness, "I don't sell furniture, I sell finance".

The furniture store owner I worked for back when admitted to a 70% markup. Made the 20% off sales seem a little less impressive. Of course this is the boss who complained that they couldn't give us delivery guys a 25 cent/hour raise b/c they were broke yet they had a boat, giant RV, European sports cars (replaced every 18 months or so), etc.

A few years later several pieces of their property burned to the ground one by one. First the garage (RV too I think), then the house, then the investment property, etc.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9166 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »

That does sound like a good plan. Any ideas on where to buy these inexpensively? I am moving in about a month, and want to get a set of good containers for making lunch and dinners.
Look out for good deals for Pyrex on Woot.  We have two sets that we paid very little for during a woot-off.  Our Pyrex is almost 10 years old and looks brand new.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9167 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

Look out for good deals for Pyrex on Woot.  We have two sets that we paid very little for during a woot-off.  Our Pyrex is almost 10 years old and looks brand new.

One caveat on those glassware containers - try not to put the lids through the nuke-ro-wave. They get all deformed and stop sealing.

You can find the containers at thrift stores with some regularity.
Haha!  We are down 2 lids because of the microwave.  We've learned our lesson, and our Pyrex is going strong.  I've never found any in the thrift stores (ones with lids), but I'll start looking.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9168 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
I much prefer the Glasslock to Pyrex for lunch containers, because they seal fully.  Costco usually has both.  I've seen the Glasslock stuff at Marshall's/TJMaxx, too.  Our Pyrex stuff is probably 5-6 years old and some of the lids are starting to fail where they have to flex to go on/off the container.  Time will tell with the Glasslock, but so far it's been getting regular use for probably 3 years and the lids are like new.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9169 on: July 13, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »
Some tales of commute silliness.

A couple weekends ago, chatting with a friend of a friend at a party, she remarks that she commutes from town A to town B.  The distance is not measured in miles, but *hours*, I think she said 1 1/2 hours commute if she leaves so that she arrives by 7am.  The part that hurts my head is she used to live in town B.  Wha.....?

Then there is my co-worker who is actually getting close to (normal age) retirement, maybe in the next year or so.  She has been commuting 2 hours to & from work for DECADES!  How in the heck does one keep up with that lifestyle?  The lifestyle with no free time???

2 hrs = ~$25 worth of gasoline, per day? Then wear and tear and replacement cars, etc.

I have a couple of friends who have done the same for years. Talked to one recently. We was driving 75 miles west everyday. Hey - you still making the big commute? Yep he tells me. Switched employers though. Now he's driving 80 miles to the east. Hope he is making big money and loves the drive.

Remember when another friend told me that they collectively (in two cars) spent more on gas and repairs than their healthy mortgage every month and decided to move closer to their work. Until that moment (years ago) I never thought that was possible to burn that much gasoline in two frugal cars.

Live and let live...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:10:03 PM by Joe Average »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9170 on: July 13, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
I guess I feel like I need to either explain or justify my food choice to people, or describe the recipe, or defend how easy it was to make, etc. Also, it feels kind of unhygienic to me to have people point at my food or lean over my shoulder to see what I'm eating while I'm eating it.

Probably the same as the person who comes into my office to chat and then walks over so they can see my computer screen while they talk. Now they stand so close that I have to look up at them while we chat and frankly I don't want to stand that close to anyone that isn't my wife or children. ;)

I clear the screen before they clear the door frame. None of their business. Not in my chain of command.

I swear this is some sort of psych thing - like a person silently trying to dominate those around them.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9171 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
Aargh- I used to sit opposite the most negative, draining woman ever. She was overweight,  loudly claimed it was thyroid (nope, it's the cakes you shove into your gaping maw daily), and would critique every piece of food I brought in, looking for the unhealthy stuff, and then exclaim about the sugary/fatty parts of my lunch, and oh, aren't you lucky, wouldn't it be nice to have a metabolism like yours??? Drove me nuts. I used to put a square of chocolate in my oats each morning in lieu of sweetener, and god, she never failed to tell the whole office about my 'chocolatey' breakfast (never mind the hour I spent in the gym before work, and that it was 10grams of chocolate). She would point out my bananas and handful of nuts and smugly tell me they were way too full of sugar/fat for her, but ooh, lucky naturally skinny you, you can eat it. I wanted to smother her. Sorry, a bit OT. Coworkers.

Yeah - I worked with her coworker. That soup I brought in was unhealthy but the fried fast food he ate everyday was somehow healthier.  Huh? he was all about how the people around him were a screwed up mess but he was making all the right choices. No woman would have him, his ex- limited his access to his children, and he was homophobic. Oh - and my choice is frugal transportation never came close to being as cool and masculine as his vehicle. A barrel of laughs to be around. ;) SO many great things about leaving that place! ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9172 on: July 13, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Not a secret, but most people don't know that the Pyrex brand was licensed by a Chinese company.  They still make OK food container, but it's nothing like the borosilicate glass of old (no longer made by Corning)

There are a few other brands like this but I can't remember them at the moment.  It's not uncommon for successful brands to switch to lower quality product (eg kitchen aid mixers) but completely licensing their products to any random company is pretty rare
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:24:26 AM by dragoncar »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9173 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
Not a secret, but most people don't know that the Pyrex brand was licensed by a Chinese company.  They still make OK food container, but it's nothing like the borosilicate glass of old (no longer made by Corning)

There are a few other brands like this but I can't remember them at the moment.  It's not uncommon for successful brands to switch to lower quality product (eg kitchen aid mixers) but completely licensing their products to any random company is pretty rare

Yeah. The current Pyrex stuff is still good (we use them daily). But much cheaper. I've never had one break.

When you see formerly fancy brands showing up at the dollar store you know they've been sold.

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #9174 on: July 13, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

I could be wrong (first time for everything), but I believe Pyrex laboratory glassware is still borosilicate.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9175 on: July 13, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »

That's a shame. There are a few people I work with like that, but I think of them as quaint country-folk, not as the norm. I suppose over the years I've taught myself to separate people from their politics, since most people mean well, just haven't looked into the science and facts much.

I live and work in a rural area of a northern state.  I have had actual discussions with coworkers disagreeing that Obama has not, in fact, had the most Executive Orders ever.  This is something that is a fact, and can be found online.  But nope, the Dictator in Chief is definitely just sending out dozens of those babies every week.  Also, carbon dating is a giant worldwide conspiracy theory and they're doing it wrong, because the 6,000 years old earth as stated in the Bible is the way it really is. Oy.

And dinosaurs never existed the same folks insist. Wife gave up 15-20 mins to a coworker once who wanted to make his point that the world was only 6,000 years old and never any dinosaurs. This was a college educated person too...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9176 on: July 13, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »

That's a shame. There are a few people I work with like that, but I think of them as quaint country-folk, not as the norm. I suppose over the years I've taught myself to separate people from their politics, since most people mean well, just haven't looked into the science and facts much.

I live and work in a rural area of a northern state.  I have had actual discussions with coworkers disagreeing that Obama has not, in fact, had the most Executive Orders ever.  This is something that is a fact, and can be found online.  But nope, the Dictator in Chief is definitely just sending out dozens of those babies every week.  Also, carbon dating is a giant worldwide conspiracy theory and they're doing it wrong, because the 6,000 years old earth as stated in the Bible is the way it really is. Oy.

And dinosaurs never existed the same folks insist. Wife gave up 15-20 mins to a coworker once who wanted to make his point that the world was only 6,000 years old and never any dinosaurs. This was a college educated person too...

I thought the dinosaurs coexisted with humans. Didn't Jesus ride one into Damascus?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9177 on: July 13, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »

I thought the dinosaurs coexisted with humans. Didn't Jesus ride one into Damascus?

They did coexist, I read it on the Internet. I don't care about your fancy pants liberal elite degree in some made-up word, I know what I know. Don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong, you're just being intolerant! Elite, libruls are fascists that want to tell everyone how to think. Thanks Obama.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9178 on: July 13, 2015, 11:00:58 AM »
Same coworker who outed me as a Mustachian decided to buy a new car, because his car was 5 years old.  Discussed the process at length in our cubicle.  Highlights include - "I've just accepted that I'll always have a car payment,"  the rational that by the time you've paid off a new car it has fallen out of warranty and you'll have to start paying for adhoc repairs, and his wife deciding as he shopped for a car that she missed her old VW and deciding to purchase a VW Jetta at the same time.  I'm currently in negotiations with my local Honda dealership to get the price of a 2015 Fit down to $10k after trade so I can buy it with cash.  I'm taking me time, since mine is only 8 years old and I don't NEED a new one, but the new one is purple and has 8 years newer fancy features.  Said coworker keep trying to convince me that it's a terrible idea to pay cash for a car, and that he's much better off always driving a new car with payments and a warranty.

A Honda treated well ought to last 200K+ miles. We're nearing 300K miles. Never been stranded, original clutch, and just the normal maintenance - aside from radiators. I've been through 3 of those. The first lasted 160K miles I think, the second budget repair part lasted 13 months, the next NAPA part lasted 8 years, am on that next replacement (lifetime replacement).

I get replacing a car that's getting rusty. Just take care of it, drive it gently, use quality repair parts and enjoy that new car for the next 15 years.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9179 on: July 13, 2015, 11:11:36 AM »
I thought the dinosaurs coexisted with humans.
I'm not sure they coexisted - I think there were definite tensions.
Particularly when one of the Tyrannosauruses ate your first born.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9180 on: July 13, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
I've done the bring from home math vs. the eat out.  Seems like a lot of people discount the fact that food brought from home cost $$ too.  I find on a $6 eat out, I pay about $3 to replicate from home.

Now, if you are eating a few carrot sticks and a piece of cheese I understand.  Curious about the comparison...
I can (and usually do) eat for less than a dollar. I try to stay stocked in frozen leftovers to avoid processed food. My most recent example is chicken stir fry and grilled asparagus over rice that cost about $10 in total and produced 7 servings, for a per-meal price of $1.42. My regular standby, tricolor rotini or penne ($1) in marinara ($1) with a small amount of turkey sausage ($2) and various veggies ($2-3) is even cheaper per serving. As backup, I stash store-brand soups and Spaghettio knockoffs that run from $0.69 to $0.99, or occasionally Cup-o-Noodles ($0.50). High in salt but OK for occasional use.

$6 is the low end for our cafe'; the full meal deal is $9. Take that over 2,500 workdays + a decade of investment returns and there you go.

I still buy breakfast occasionally, since I can get a pretty decent protein dose (eggs+bacon/sausage) for under $3, but I'm sticking more to oatmeal and frozen turkey sausage lately to keep the per-meal cost at $0.20-$0.40.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9181 on: July 13, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »
At drill on Saturday, in a discussion of government travel credit cards and how late payments are your problem even if the balance itself is all govt-reimbursable expenses that are being paid back, but not in time:

"That late fee is $29! And who has $29 lying around? I know I don't!"

This is a second job for most of these people, one that pays hundreds of dollars for one weekend of work every month. They should all have WAY more than $29 lying around. I invest 100% of what I earn there.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9182 on: July 13, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with Disney. My younger child claims a classmate has been six times. Friends of modest means have gone for whole weeks on a package deals that they might not have been able to afford (complaining about money woes in other budget departments). I used to live near the place for a while and don't feel compelled to ever go there. Not for the Disney characters, not for the rides and mostly b/c of the cost.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9183 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »
I like how I didn't even think people would actually pay for the low-grade/overpriced makeup and perfume there.  Their bras are worth it (especially if you are larger up top), but the rest of the stuff - really?!?

Actually, anyone who has tried actually quality undergarments will tell you that VS is crap. I mean, I still have some because it's cheap, but it is not well made at all.

Ok, gotta ask. What brands do you consider quality? I've been happy with VS, so if I can find something even better I'll be in heaven. Particularly if it's cheaper.

I also would like to know!  I've been having good luck with Maidenform bras lately, but I purchase them for about $6 each at Ross and get at least 2 years of use out of them.  Usually the underwire wears through the fabric, so once I've been stabbed a few times, I throw it out.  ;)

I like Chantelle.  I stopped shopping at VS went the quality took a nosedive and the prices went up.  I would rather pay a little more for a much higher quality item.

I really like Soma.  Their underwear never shows under clothing and stays in place all day.

I agree, Chantelle bras are great.  They are expensive and never ever go on sale, but they are just great.  I've got enough junk in the frunk that I care about bras, and these are my favorite.
I also like Wacoal, which I can often find at TJ Maxx.  They are usually less pretty than Chantelle but just as effective.

This thread is a hoot! Discussion of women's underwear mixed with a hunting discussion!

Got one from work today:

CW asks me to order a replacement adapter for their laptop. Ordered it, arrived Friday and today they bring it back. Too big and too heavy. The big problem - it might be 1/4" bigger in both directions (not thicker). Its 5 ounces heavier. Send it back they requested and order the smaller one with half the power output.

So pay the postage to return it and order the other adapter. not sure but there might be a restocking fee.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9184 on: July 13, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »
Finally read through whole thread... Celebrating with some mockery!

Coworkers (all female) takes several trips every year to 1 (yes, one!) single shop 7 hours away round trip to buy cheap shit. Typically spends 1/2 to 1 monthly paycheck on plastic bags, cheap makeup, toys and tasteless home decoration.

The shoppers gets cheered on by the other coworkers irl and on Facebook in terms of "oh, paradise", "worth every penny" and so on.

Facepalm several times a month. Never stops.

(Had actual photo of last fb update from shopping spree, but being a rookie I don't know how to post it)

Sounds like yet another good reason to quit Facebook. ;)

I tried FB and then quickly quit a long time ago b/c of stuff like what you described. That and the volume of political posts posted by people running on rumor...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:16:06 PM by Joe Average »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9185 on: July 13, 2015, 12:10:05 PM »
I much prefer the Glasslock to Pyrex for lunch containers, because they seal fully.  Costco usually has both.  I've seen the Glasslock stuff at Marshall's/TJMaxx, too.  Our Pyrex stuff is probably 5-6 years old and some of the lids are starting to fail where they have to flex to go on/off the container.  Time will tell with the Glasslock, but so far it's been getting regular use for probably 3 years and the lids are like new.

Thanks, good to know. I am guessing that it will be a good idea to buy a good pair of lunch containers. If they last and are safe they will pay for themselves in ease and sanitation, especially if they make it easier to haul homemade food instead of eating out.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9186 on: July 13, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

I don't understand the fascination some people have with Disney. My younger child claims a classmate has been six times. Friends of modest means have gone for whole weeks on a package deals that they might not have been able to afford (complaining about money woes in other budget departments). I used to live near the place for a while and don't feel compelled to ever go there. Not for the Disney characters, not for the rides and mostly b/c of the cost.

And people take their kid that's 2 or 3. That kid is not going to remember a thing! The parents are doing it for themselves.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9187 on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »
"That late fee is $29! And who has $29 lying around? I know I don't!"

O or E?  This gets funnier the higher up I imagine the quote coming from.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9188 on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »

Thanks, good to know. I am guessing that it will be a good idea to buy a good pair of lunch containers. If they last and are safe they will pay for themselves in ease and sanitation, especially if they make it easier to haul homemade food instead of eating out.

I use the rectangular pyrex for entree/side leftovers (place all in one container. Another good option for soups and salads (my usual lunch) is the good ole Mason/Ball jars (wide mouth). Also freezer safe so I usually make a big batch of soup, put into jars, freeze and when lunch is needed, pack it in my lunch box. Bonus that since its frozen I'm not worried about having it sit in my lunch box at my desk until lunch (the office fridge should require HazMAt suit to open).

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #9189 on: July 13, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
I use the rectangular pyrex for entree/side leftovers (place all in one container. Another good option for soups and salads (my usual lunch) is the good ole Mason/Ball jars (wide mouth). Also freezer safe so I usually make a big batch of soup, put into jars, freeze and when lunch is needed, pack it in my lunch box. Bonus that since its frozen I'm not worried about having it sit in my lunch box at my desk until lunch (the office fridge should require HazMAt suit to open).

Are Mason jars microwaveable as well? (Learn something new every day...)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9190 on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
i honestly in this moment didnt realize that 84 month car loans are a thing now.

Well, you'll be shocked to hear they have 96 month loans then.

To some, term doesn't really matter since you can refinance an auto loan. I had a buddy who refinanced his truck at about 48 months in to a 72 month loan. This eased his budget while he was laid off. When he went back to work, did he pay it off? Nope, saved the extra cash for a lift and huge tires... he got laid off again literally two days after picking up the truck from getting it lifted. *facepalm*

Maybe that was your buddy I saw here the other day in traffic with an F-150 and tires that were literally four feet tall! Didn't know tires that big were legal. Hope he doesn't ever swerve, it'll roll right over.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9191 on: July 13, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »

Are Mason jars microwaveable as well? (Learn something new every day...)

I take off the metal top and have never had an issue. The only thing you might need to be careful with is going to/from extreme temperature conditions (may crack).

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9192 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
What an adrenaline junkie! I would be perfectly happy with a '84 Honda Rabbit

Wasn't the Rabbit from Volkswagen, later to become the Golf?

My dad had a VW Rabbit when we were growing up. I am reminded of it a lot when I see how pretty much all cars are four-doors now and think back to my brother and me were always clambering in after flipping the front seats forward. That doesn't happen much anymore these days, does it?

My kids have it pretty fricking nice, I'd say.

Yep, sold as the Rabbit here and as the Golf everywhere else in the world.

My friend says his grandkids are fascinated by the crank windows in his antique car...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9193 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »
Obama's proposed reforms are very mild and don't warrant fear-mongering.

They're also pointless, much like the one memorialized in my handle.

Guns have a purpose - they allow you to handle the ~ten minutes between the time that there is a problem inside your home (home invasion) and the time the police arrive.

We've also used them to deal with deadly animals.

I don't mind guns like I said but I am very concerned about our American *fascination* of guns. Its another accessory to this badass attitude that some men (and some women) are very eager to emulate. Like armed combat might occur at any moment. Fear me they seem to tell the whole world around them. Like: I'm prepared for whatever might happen. When in fact they live in a pretty quiet place and will likely never need a weapon - AS LONG AS they aren't confrontational people.

How many people's mouths got them into a situation that led to gunfire? They are the guys that we hear about on the news that got into a shootout over barbecued chicken on the grille. He didn't get his fair share... ;)

I've met a few of this type and give them a wide berth. Peple who will hurt someone because the other guy looked at them with crossed eyes.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9194 on: July 13, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm thinking the point he's making is that two places with VERY restrictive gun laws have lots of illegal gun violence.  IOW, laws don't mean shit to criminals.  So why fuck over ordinary citizens with meaningless idiotic legislation meant to placate the people who just want you to "do something, anything!" and "please, think of the children!"

+1. Criminals don't care about laws. Laws like that leave everyone else swaying in the wind.

That said I think violent crime has alot to do with WHO you spend your time with. Around here most crime is perpetrated on people that the offender knew - family and friends. Hang with a rough crowd and likely you'll believe the world is a dangerous place.

Hang with folks growing backyard gardens, watching Mayberry RFD on TV with your family and washing the family sedan in the driveway - and the world doesn't seem all that dangerous. That's another reason to be successful: so you don't have to live in troubled cities and neighborhoods.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9195 on: July 13, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »

Gun and (all) crime dont have a correlation. Stricter gun control lowers domestic murders and "accidents" a lot,

Feel free to support that statement with actual facts.

Notice that such an event is actually rare enough to be news,
Notice that in other countries with less guns such a thing doesnt happen at all.

Is that so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_%28Europe%29

This is just Europe, but notice, if you will, that every one of them occurred in nations with stricter gun control regulations.

Not to mention two very big wars. Three if you want to count what the Soviets did to their citizens aka Stalin killing millions...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9196 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Here, the nut job has a gun.

True, but then so can you.  No one is better positioned, nor more motivated, to protect your own family than you are.  And has already been cited here, the police don't actually have a duty to protect you or your family; they have a duty to protect the interests of the state, which may or may not include protecting you.
I'm not sure anyone is arguing against the safety of families. The objections are more linked to the externalities (guns get outside of homes and self defence scenarios) and the effectiveness of the plan (a gun won't improve every situation and massively increases the potential for error). Part of the problem that gun control arguments need to address though is the American police force. If we're going to suggest that people trust professionals to handle these situations then we need a degree of professionalism from them.

Exactly.  And if I have a gun that doesn't help my child at school.  I honestly can't believe the arguments for teachers being armed and having people with guns patrolling schools.  Really???  That's supposed to be the solution???  OMFG how about just getting rid of the goddamn guns already???

But yeah, the guns are already there.  For the sake of posterity though it really doesn't seem like trying to arm the population to the teeth is the way American society should be headed.  The only future where that sounds like a good idea is the zombie apocalypse.

We need to talk more about why some Americans are so vindictive and confrontational that they want to settle arguments/disputes with guns and not just walk away. Why some Americans are hell-bent on intimidating each other so completely that one or more parties feel a need to use a gun to reinforce how tough they are.

Why is "badass" so damn important? What's wrong with just "cool" or "sexy" when demonstrating how masculine one is? What's wrong with knowing some stuff instead appearing to be capable of hurting someone?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9197 on: July 13, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »

Good call. I don't usually make soups as they don't fill me up. The exception are stews or Thai curries, in which I add rice. I'm hoping to make a few dishes each Sunday and put them into portions, some to eat for lunch and dinner and the remainder to freeze for an easy meal down the line. I want to try my hand at making homemade red curry and see if there is a notable difference in quality.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9198 on: July 13, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
So far, the pro-gun advocates that I've listened to (I dare not argue with them) have stated the following (or a combination of) reasons for why guns should continue to exist:

1. Second amendment from the 18th century (because we live in the past and never change), right to bear arms, protect ourselves from terrorists and grizzly bears, etc.
2. We may have a billion guns but only 2 gun associated deaths a year, so it's okay - 2 deaths a year are worth sacrificing for the billion people that want to shoot stuff up the other 363 days of the year (although I think we're already well into double digits this year among the cases that we know of)
3. You can outlaw guns, but people will find other ways to hurt you anyway (i.e. bombs that require planning, time and skill to make, etc.).
4. Guns don't kill people, people kill people (sometimes with guns).
5. All them other countries that don't have access to guns are doing it wrong (okay, I made this one up).

I might be missing some other points...this is all I can remember so far though. Maybe I should stroke a pistol to stimulate the brain a bit.

'murica!

Just remember that the view from your part of the USA may not be the same as the view from where the rest of us live. Country vs city for example. The Internet and TV has shrunk the nation and the world but all places are not the same. Might look like a silly thing to have guns (or tools or a car or a garage) from where you live but its not the same if you live where I do.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9199 on: July 13, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
Here, the nut job has a gun.

True, but then so can you.

An eye for an eye, and soon we will all be blind. I just don't understand this American obsession with defending yourself. I have never had to defend myself against violence or home intrusion and I do not know anyone (even a friend of a friend) who has. Yet y'all seem to be convinced there is an axe murderer round every corner. Sure, criminals can get guns in the UK but most gun crime here is stuff like gang warfare, not guns being turned on strangers. I do not want to live in a world where everyone has a killing machine in their pocket. It's a really sad view of humanity. People are, by and large, law abiding and reasonable. If there is a problem, we have the police. And seriously, unless you have your gun with you all the time, odds are you're going to be in the wrong room when the gun-wielding nut crashes through your front window so won't be able to get it and 'defend' yourself anyway. The only gun-based self-defence I can take seriously is against wild animals, which I know exist in America more than the UK.

Q: Y'all go on about this "inalienable right" to defend yourself. We have the human right to freedom from violence, putting the onus on others to not be violent/the state to protect you, rather than assuming that everyone is out to get you and you need to be prepared for the "evil other". Do any other countries have the right to defend yourself violently in their constitution?

I lived in southern Italy for three years. It really was a different place. In some ways I felt much safer than I do here. The city where I lived had a very high crime rate compared to the rest of the country but overall their crime rate was much lower than here. Wikipedia says Italy is 47th and among the lowest of the Western countries. Culturally it was very different. People were not as confrontational as they are here. True they have their problems there but it was not violent crime against the average person.

Move to the USA and see if you still feel as safe as where you live in the UK. It'll also depend on where you choose to live. There are cities near me which are virtual no-man's land at certain times of the day. Watch the local news often enough and it's easy to figure out which parts of town to never visit after dark. Again it also has alot to do with who you keep for friends.