Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253172 times)

Cinder

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #850 on: October 07, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »
So my office is up the street from a shopping mall, and one of my female co-workers apparently bought 10 (TEN!) pairs of shoes over her lunch break. She's been showing them off to the rest of the office (at least the women) for the last half-hour or so. Not only are they excessive, they're also relatively useless because they're apparently intended to go with specific outfits (they have wild colorful patterns and whatnot). I told her "you have a problem."

She thinks it's okay because they were on clearance for $15/pair.

By the way: I've only been working here for two weeks, and this is already at least the third time she's bought new shoes (I think it's the first day she bought so many at once, though).

...I once bought six pairs of shoes. At Zappos. So I could find a pair that fit (my feet are weird). Five got returned. How many pairs of shoes do you need?

My wife just bought two pairs of sneakers... Identical, because she can never find any stores that carry her size.  She should be set for 2 years!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #851 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
*Selling things to a customer at work*

Me: "Oh, that's a cute book you're purchasing!"

Her: "Yeah, well, my daughter really liked it but it's in storage and I can't find it so I figured I'd just get her another one."

*FACEPALM*

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #852 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
@eyePod: I work for the same company. Some have started updating resumes (myself included) most are in total disbelief.

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #853 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
I work at a very large company that recently said that we're going to be laying off 20% of our workforce through 2015.

Not too happy about this, but really, I'm a grunt and it's out of my control.

Once I heard this, I wanted to remind myself what our separations package looked like.

Found it on the HR website, and they had a great PDF which outlined what was involved (health coverage, how many weeks of pay you get, and it even had a link to our pension website - yes we still have a pension).

I thought this was really useful information, so I sent it around to my team with an FYI in the subject line.

A few people thanked me, but most people were upset.  They'd rather have their heads buried in the sand (even though ostriches don't do this at all).  They told me it was a depressing email and they wish they'd never gotten it.

I was shocked.  My wife and I sat down to figure out how long this money would last us (possibly as close to a year if we really cut back).  Others just don't want to know.

I checked out your blog and am really enjoying it. Will make sure to take a look often! Oh, I have the Parkview mug-haha, maybe I'll sell it!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #854 on: October 11, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
I checked out your blog and am really enjoying it. Will make sure to take a look often! Oh, I have the Parkview mug-haha, maybe I'll sell it!

Thanks!  Yeah, it's surprising how much stuff we all have around our house that we don't use for years but aren't willing to part with until we realize that someone else will pay for it!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #855 on: October 11, 2013, 08:33:47 AM »
@eyePod: I work for the same company. Some have started updating resumes (myself included) most are in total disbelief.

I haven't done my resume yet; it's on my to do list.  I have started putting feelers out to friends at other companies though.  If I had my way, I'd probably take the severance package and then get a new job quickly.  I'm sure it won't be that easy, but we have a nice cushion.

afictor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #856 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
Came across this gem in my facebook feed today. Posted by a co-worker who is 29 years old.

Dear Capital One,

You clearly do not remember when I asked for a raise in my card's limit from $999 because I had a full time job with a real salary. You also clearly do not remember that I canceled you because when my car required $1,400 in repairs I could not use you. Chase was happy to oblige immediately afterward. Please leave me alone. I am still bitter.

Thank You

I'm not sure how much he spent on his car (since I'm not an expert on cars), but based on the pictures he posted of himself posing with it, I'd estimate it was at least $30,000 (nice looking sports car).

Just from this post we can gather some pretty embarrassing details of this guy's financial life, that he was more than willing to share with the world:
1. He had to obtain a new credit card because his former creditor would't extend his limit above $1,000.
2. He purchased a fancy sports car, despite the fact that...
3. He had no money saved because when he had to spend $1,400 (!!!!) to fix his car, he had to accrue credit card debt to pay for it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:30:25 AM by MP18 »

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #857 on: October 11, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »
Uh... what? How else than by credit card are you supposed to pay for a 1400$ car repair? (I am not saying there are no way to lower the 1400$ bills, there are, but let's say it is 1400$ for argument's sake).

A bucket of nickel?

No seriously. I would pay that by credit card 100% certain.

I cannot even fathom a better way to pay for it.

afictor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #858 on: October 11, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
Uh... what? How else than by credit card are you supposed to pay for a 1400$ car repair? (I am not saying there are no way to lower the 1400$ bills, there are, but let's say it is 1400$ for argument's sake).

A bucket of nickel?

No seriously. I would pay that by credit card 100% certain.

I cannot even fathom a better way to pay for it.

In my opinion, an emergency fund is set up exactly for unexpected expenses like this.

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
In that case, an emergency fund would be set up to pay the 1400$ credit card bill coming one interest-free month after the fact and giving all sorts of free money back.

But then again, I would pay it with cash flow instead of an EF. EFs are overrated, IMO.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »

Thanks!  Yeah, it's surprising how much stuff we all have around our house that we don't use for years but aren't willing to part with until we realize that someone else will pay for it!

Oh. I LOVE those mugs! Ours broke over the many years we had them. One that we still have stores pens. It's strangely nice to see the mugs again.

Okay..back on topic...

This was overheard at a conference.

Woman 1: So, I said to my 17 yo daughter, "Don't buy a car now. Save your money and use ours."
Woman 2: (Nods her head)
I am thinking, "YES YES YES!"

Woman 1: ...and then when you go off to State College, you can open your own line of credit and buy a car and we won't need to co-sign...

I am thinking, "NO NO NO."

I was in a town with NO public transportation. I could not live in a city that made me drive everywhere.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
In that case, an emergency fund would be set up to pay the 1400$ credit card bill coming one interest-free month after the fact and giving all sorts of free money back.

But then again, I would pay it with cash flow instead of an EF. EFs are overrated, IMO.

I'd put it on the card too.  But if my card didn't work, I'd pay with a check.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »

Yes.  Say I have more than $1400 in the bank, and need to spend $1400 on a bill - car repairs or whatever.  I can

A) Use my time & gas/ to run to the bank and get 14 $100 bills.

B) Write a check for $1400.

C) Use the credit card and get $14 back, plus (currently) 0% interest to the end of 2014.

So which of those is most beneficial to me?

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #863 on: October 14, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
what in the world!!!!!!!!! that is a crazy ass water bill!! how do you even use that much water

Don't be so judgmental, obviously she's providing a habitat for indigenous mermaids in her basement.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #864 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
But seriously, this was said about a VP (who I suspect is a mustachian) at my work:

Lady 1: "I can't believe he brings his lunch to work, what's the deal with that???" (said incredulously)
Lady 2: "I know he's a VP, he can totally afford to eat out, I mean, I eat out all the time and I make like half what he does."

*FACEPALM*

The strangest thing was that they both seemed actually DISTURBED by his behavior, like they couldn't fathom it.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #865 on: October 14, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Not "overheard" per se, but I'm currently in an office that provides free, chef-prepared (better than any restaurant I can afford) lunches.  Most people eat whatever the meal of the day happens to be but I know several who go out to eat 2-3x a week.

Aside: Apparently (I'm not an employee) they also 100% match any contribution you make to your 401k with no limit other than the legal max.  I've heard grumbling that"I don't use it anyway, why can't they just give me the cash"

I really, really want to be hired by this company some day.

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #866 on: October 14, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »
Co-worker and her husband live in a small town 20 miles away from the city they work in and drive into town separately every day, one in a Lexus SUV and another in a big-ass pickup truck, both financed. They take multiple vacations a year and last time they went, the husband messed up the irrigation system programming so they dumped a whole lotta water on the lawn while they were gone. $500 water bill that month. She said their electric bill is always over $200 while ours will maybe hit $100 in the dead of summer. This is with two adults and one kid in a (quite large) house with no one home all day. Heating bill is also ridiculous. Shopping is the wife's entertainment (they drive into town usually more than once every weekend to go shopping.) Yeesh. Their finances are separate with one paying some bills and another paying others. They claim it works for them but to me it would be easy for things to fall through the cracks that way.

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #867 on: October 14, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
Not "overheard" per se, but I'm currently in an office that provides free, chef-prepared (better than any restaurant I can afford) lunches.  Most people eat whatever the meal of the day happens to be but I know several who go out to eat 2-3x a week.

Aside: Apparently (I'm not an employee) they also 100% match any contribution you make to your 401k with no limit other than the legal max.  I've heard grumbling that"I don't use it anyway, why can't they just give me the cash"

HOLY CRAP I want to work at your workplace.

On a separate note, I bet they can afford to 100% match because maybe a handful of people actually max it out. Though I would bet with a company that's got this much cash sloshing around, they probably pay pretty well, and people still will say they don't have enough money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #868 on: October 14, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

On a separate note, I bet they can afford to 100% match because maybe a handful of people actually max it out. Though I would bet with a company that's got this much cash sloshing around, they probably pay pretty well, and people still will say they don't have enough money.

If this is a tech firm, I bet the majority of technical employees max it out.  From my experience at tech firms.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #869 on: October 14, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
Today someone said

"Ugh I just got the iPhone 5 a couple months ago, but I need the iPhone 5S. Oh well."

Both of their kids have their very own Retina iPads and iPhones, plus brand new cars!!

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: October 14, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »

If this is a tech firm, I bet the majority of technical employees max it out.  From my experience at tech firms.

I know right? Shit if I made 20k a year there I'd contribute 17.5 and figure out how to live off the rest (food budget = 0 for one) :).

Alas, I am but a contractor, which is nice since I only work 40 hrs a week (or they pay me for staying) but all I get to enjoy is the free food.  It's still a great place to work though.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #871 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »

I think I know the place. Top tip for employers: If you want to make a name for yourself in your state, provide your employees with free, good food. :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:28:04 PM by imbros »

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #872 on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
A coworker of mine came back to the US after spending a few years in Australia (Alice Springs). He's now been here for about 6 months. We got to talking about going on a multi week motorcycle trip and how awesome that would be.

Him: Australians always go on month long vacations and have it paid for by their employers. Now that I'm back I'll never get to do a big trip like that.
Me: Oh because you won't have the vacation? Well our employer is really generous with unpaid time off for trips. I took off a week unpaid this summer because my wife is a teacher. I could have taken more easily.
Him: No its the fact I could never pay for it.
Me: But if you could save 25% of your paycheck you could take a huge vacation? (I was being generous with the 25%, I know he makes around 100k/year and is single)
Him: I could do that in Australia, but here they just bleed you dry. I'm lucky if I can save 1% now.
Me in my head: (HOW MUCH WERE YOU MAKING IN AUSTRALIA?!?!)

Can someone who lives there explain to me what the cost of living is like in Australia? My understanding was that most things were much more expensive there.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #873 on: October 15, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
Oh man, this one today was a doozy (hearing a lot lately for some reason)

I was standing at the microwave removing my beautiful bowl of pasta and veggies when...

Office Guy: Mmm, food...
Me: hehe, yep!
O.G.: I'm so hungry
Me: Well you should eat then!
O.G.: I can't until tomorrow
Me: Why? (I literally thought he was joking)
O.G.: We don't get paid until tomorrow.
Me: You should learn to cook! It's cheap!
O.G. I can't afford to cook anything or buy anything to eat. I mean, I literally have no money. (said in annoyed manner)

WHAT THE HELL?! I work in an office, everyone makes at least 40k in my area. I eat for $2.49 a day. And he acted like I was being a total asshole, or like he was fishing for me to share my food with him or something. And here's the kicker: he smokes cigarettes. In my city cigs are like $14 a pack. The old me would have been all, oh you can have some. But I absolutely do not feel bad for him, you can't try and help people like that. 

*vent over*

mgreczyn

« Reply #874 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »
I try to be sympathetic, but then she:

1.  Books a weeklong vacation to Hawaii
2. Books plane tickets to visit family back east for Thanksgiving weekend
3. Books plane tickets to go to a wedding in November
4. Has a fancy-ass gym membership
5. Regularly gets manicures, professional hair coloring, etc.
6. Buys coffee en route to work several times a week
7. Buys lunch every day
8. Seems to go wine tasting or to lunch with friends every weekend
9. Rents a 3 bedroom townhouse and is talking about upgrading to a 4th bedroom (they are thinking of having a 2nd kid, apparently they must have separate bedrooms for each kid AND a dedicated guest bedroom).
10. Two iphones

I don't think I'd put visiting family or going to a wedding on the same list as many of these things. Hawaii can go, though.

Also, wine tasting can be free or cheap, depending on where you go. Napa/Sonoma are expensive, but California is like all wine country. I could believe it that she's going to the spendier places, though, based on some of the above items.

Wine tasting is always free, unless you're doing it wrong.  Hint: if you're paying for it, you're doing it wrong.  Then it's called wine BUYING and the bottle box is included.

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #875 on: October 15, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

I was standing at the microwave removing my beautiful bowl of pasta and veggies when...

O.G. I can't afford to cook anything or buy anything to eat. I mean, I literally have no money. (said in annoyed manner)

WHAT THE HELL?! I work in an office, everyone makes at least 40k in my area. I eat for $2.49 a day. And he acted like I was being a total asshole, or like he was fishing for me to share my food with him or something. And here's the kicker: he smokes cigarettes. In my city cigs are like $14 a pack. The old me would have been all, oh you can have some. But I absolutely do not feel bad for him, you can't try and help people like that. 

*vent over*

That's not a cash-flow problem; that's a priorities problem.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #876 on: October 15, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

*vent over*

MMM food... Can I have some?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: October 15, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »

7. Buys lunch every day
9. Rents a 3 bedroom townhouse and is talking about upgrading to a 4th bedroom (they are thinking of having a 2nd kid, apparently they must have separate bedrooms for each kid AND a dedicated guest bedroom).
10. Two iphones

I don't think I'd put visiting family or going to a wedding on the same list as many of these things. Hawaii can go, though.

Also, wine tasting can be free or cheap, depending on where you go. Napa/Sonoma are expensive, but California is like all wine country. I could believe it that she's going to the spendier places, though, based on some of the above items.

Wine tasting is always free, unless you're doing it wrong.  Hint: if you're paying for it, you're doing it wrong.  Then it's called wine BUYING and the bottle box is included.

If you ONLY drink wine from a box, you're doing it wrong. :P J/k drink whatever you want. But regarding tasting, you can miss out on some great places that charge a $5 tasting fee if you limit yourself to free wineries exclusively. Just saying.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #878 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
If you ONLY drink wine from a box, you're doing it wrong. :P

Scientists say wine-in-a-box tastes better
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2009/06/scientists-say-wine-in-a-box-tastes-better/

ThatGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #879 on: October 15, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
My classmate was telling me about her boyfriend & his truck. He lives in one city, but commutes across a tollbridge to work in another city. To avoid this toll & hour long commute, he drives his truck to work on Monday & uses his company's commuter bus the rest of the week. On Friday, he drives his truck home. During the week, he bikes around our city. When I asked why he didn't just get rid of the truck, she said "Oh no, he'll never do that. It's his baby. He got it for himself as a treat for getting this great job."

This made me laugh because I am trying to figure out a way to go completely car-less. I drool over the amount of money I will save when I don't pay for gas, insurance, & repairs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:30:02 PM by ThatGirl »

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »
From the young man who is taking my spot in the company hierarchy, and whom I am training, when he got his first paycheck...."Wow, I have $60.00 left to spend!  I don't know what to get, but I have to get something!"  I told him to check out the Mr Money Mustache blog!

mgreczyn

« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »

7. Buys lunch every day
10. Two iphones

If you ONLY drink wine from a box, you're doing it wrong. :P J/k drink whatever you want. But regarding tasting, you can miss out on some great places that charge a $5 tasting fee if you limit yourself to free wineries exclusively. Just saying.
Indeed.  I do drink from the occasional bottle, and I enjoy it almost every time. We've done wine tasting in California, Colorado and Texas, both free and paid tastings, and IF paying $5 were a way to consistently guarantee a better experience I might be less averse to it. However, there was many a free tasting that made me want to go get my $5 back from the last place, which basically makes me discount any "tasting" that's not free as woefully overpriced. Being civilized, instead of attempting to return the product I simply bought a bottle from their competition as consumer revenge. Rather than charging a "tasting fee" maybe they should just say "hey, we have really little glasses of wine for sale". IMHO if the wine industry collectively wants to not lose money on their tasting rooms, they should either find a way to make it an experience worth paying for or make wine that blows peoples' socks off so even a tightwad like me buys a bottle.

On the other hand, I have no problem paying regular price for beer in a brewery's taproom, so maybe that says all you need to know about my palate!  For some reason, a brewery charging $5 for a pint says to me "we know you'll buy another" while a winery charging $5 for a tasting says to me "we think this may be our only chance to get money out of this guy".  Go figure.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:59:59 AM by mgreczyn »

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

7. Buys lunch every day
10. Two iphones

Indeed.  I do drink from the occasional bottle, and I enjoy it almost every time. We've done wine tasting in California, Colorado and Texas, both free and paid tastings, and IF paying $5 were a way to consistently guarantee a better experience I might be less averse to it. However, there was many a free tasting that made me want to go get my $5 back from the last place, which basically makes me discount any "tasting" that's not free as woefully overpriced. Being civilized, instead of attempting to return the product I simply bought a bottle from their competition as consumer revenge. Rather than charging a "tasting fee" maybe they should just say "hey, we have really little glasses of wine for sale". IMHO if the wine industry collectively wants to not lose money on their tasting rooms, they should either find a way to make it an experience worth paying for or make wine that blows peoples' socks off so even a tightwad like me buys a bottle.

On the other hand, I have no problem paying regular price for beer in a brewery's taproom, so maybe that says all you need to know about my palate!  For some reason, a brewery charging $5 for a pint says to me "we know you'll buy another" while a winery charging $5 for a tasting says to me "we think this may be our only chance to get money out of this guy".  Go figure.

Ew, beer! (which probably tells you about my palate ;) ) I have no sources for this fanciful pseudo-historical narrative, but I believe what happened was wineries started offering (free) tastings to entice people to buy their wine, because no one wants to buy a $20 bottle and be disappointed. Then word got out that tasting a bunch of wines was a fun experience (and free!) and people who had no intention of buying bottles started going out and doing it. Wineries started losing money, and someone had the bright idea of charging a nominal fee to offset the cost of those freeloaders and/or discourage them. Then the nominal fee went up...and up... not sure if it ever turns a profit for certain places, but I'm sure someone has had that idea by now, too (charge enough to not just cover losses, but actually make money).

I suspect there is zero or a slightly (but not strongly) negative correlation between price and wine quality. i.e. you can have great wine for free, great wine for $15 or you can have sucky or overhyped wine at either place.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #883 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
My classmate was telling me about her boyfriend & his truck. He lives in one city, but commutes across a tollbridge to work in another city. To avoid this toll & hour long commute, he drives his truck to work on Monday & uses his company's commuter bus the rest of the week. On Friday, he drives his truck home. During the week, he bikes around our city. When I asked why he didn't just get rid of the truck, she said "Oh no, he'll never do that. It's his baby. He got it for himself as a great for getting this great job."

I can sort of understand that.  The point is that life is what happens on weekends (for which his truck may be useful).  The work week is just how you pay for it.

Indeed, I used to do something quite similar.  Had a consulting job which had me driving ~250 miles into Silicon Valley on alternate weeks.  So I'd get there Sunday evening, park the car, bike to work &c all week, then drive home Friday night.  But all that was just work: my real life had nothing to do with the city.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #884 on: October 16, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
I paid 5$ to go to a wine tasting at a food and drink show here in Toronto . . . they had a bucket at each table that you were supposed to spit the wine out into.  Of the 40+ people at the tasting, not one person used the bucket.  :P  Can't imagine paying for a tasting, then spitting out the drink you paid for . . .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #885 on: October 16, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
I paid 5$ to go to a wine tasting at a food and drink show here in Toronto . . . they had a bucket at each table that you were supposed to spit the wine out into.  Of the 40+ people at the tasting, not one person used the bucket.  :P  Can't imagine paying for a tasting, then spitting out the drink you paid for . . .

Round these parts, if you do a true tasting, where you spit, a winery is unlikely to charge you a fee.  They see you are a serious taster.  But if what you are really doing is wine "drinking" then I don't see a problem with the fee.  Most will also apply the fee to a bottle you buy.

Do you guys object to $10 beer samplers?  Same concept really.  If you want a single glass of wine, they usually sell those too.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: October 16, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

Depends on how many wines you plan to taste that day.  2 or 3?  Swallow.  15+?  Spit.

mgreczyn

« Reply #887 on: October 17, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »

Round these parts, if you do a true tasting, where you spit, a winery is unlikely to charge you a fee.  They see you are a serious taster.  But if what you are really doing is wine "drinking" then I don't see a problem with the fee.  Most will also apply the fee to a bottle you buy.

Do you guys object to $10 beer samplers?  Same concept really.  If you want a single glass of wine, they usually sell those too.
Ah ha, another reason I prefer my local breweries to any far-flung winery!  This reason happens to be cultural. You see, at a true beer tasting you drink the whole damn thing and then ask for another one if you liked it.  If not, you try a different style. Don't even think about spitting it out. I've found the same applies to whiskey.  And tequila.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »

Ah ha, another reason I prefer my local breweries to any far-flung winery!  This reason happens to be cultural. You see, at a true beer tasting you drink the whole damn thing and then ask for another one if you liked it.  If not, you try a different style. Don't even think about spitting it out. I've found the same applies to whiskey.  And tequila.

That's dumb. I mean, I don't spit out the wine, but I dump out the rest of the glass if it's really not my thing. Why would I want to finish a glass of something awful?

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #889 on: October 17, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »

I often end up buying a bottle or three if I go for a wine tasting, which is why I don't do it that often! 99% of the wine I drink comes from a box.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #890 on: October 17, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

I'm a BJCP National beer judge.  If I am judging (15 to 30+ beers in a day), I take no more than a couple tiny sips of the vast majority of samples.  Most get dumped after a couple tiny sips on my part.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #891 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

I'm a BJCP National beer judge.  If I am judging (15 to 30+ beers in a day), I take no more than a couple tiny sips of the vast majority of samples.  Most get dumped after a couple tiny sips on my part.

I find that every wine and beer tastes brilliant after the fourth or fifth "tasting"

mgreczyn

« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »

Of course you do.  But when you're NOT judging, do you ever take a taste of a pint of something new, swish it around in your mouth and then spit it out?  The day I see roving packs of BMWs, Range Rovers and Lexii travelling from brewery to brewery with people in them who are not National Beer Judges but spit perfectly good beer out in a misguided effort to seem like National Beer Judges is the day I switch fully and permanently to hard liquor and homebrews.  Yes, I am lampooning wine culture.  No, I am not taking it back.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »

Of course you do.  But when you're NOT judging, do you ever take a taste of a pint of something new, swish it around in your mouth and then spit it out?  The day I see roving packs of BMWs, Range Rovers and Lexii travelling from brewery to brewery with people in them who are not National Beer Judges but spit perfectly good beer out in a misguided effort to seem like National Beer Judges is the day I switch fully and permanently to hard liquor and homebrews.  Yes, I am lampooning wine culture.  No, I am not taking it back.

I've never seen this with wine.  The roving packs drink the entire tasting, and the pour is a lot bigger when you pay.

The connoisseurs get a very small pour and probably have a reservation in the back room anyways, so you won't see them.  Then they buy a few cases and actually drink the wine.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #894 on: October 17, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

If I am at a brewery I am unfamiliar with, I usually ask the server for a sample of a beer I am considering.  They almost always happily bring out about an ounce of whatever I am interested in.  After the sample I make a decision on what to order.

weston

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #895 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
I still remember the great feeling I had a few years ago when showing up for work one day. I found an open space to  park my Sentra with 280,000 miles right between my office manager's BMW and my associate attorney's brand new Jaguar.

I own the firm and know I was making more than twice their salaries.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #896 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
I still remember the great feeling I had a few years ago when showing up for work one day. I found an open space to  park my Sentra with 280,000 miles right between my office manager's BMW and my associate attorney's brand new Jaguar.

Why do office managers get paid so much?  Is there a school of office management?

weston

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »

Why do office managers get paid so much?  Is there a school of office management?

What do you mean by "so much"? I didn't mention how much she made. Only that she had a BMW and that she earned less than half of what I was making at the time. Not quite following the question.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Oh, I loved my Sentra. It just ran and ran like nobodys business! I got a good 48 miles to the gallon in it as well, and thats before i ever heard of hypermiling. Great car!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »

What do you mean by "so much"? I didn't mention how much she made. Only that she had a BMW and that she earned less than half of what I was making at the time. Not quite following the question.

Enough to make payments on a BMW, presumably

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!