Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253371 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8200 on: May 14, 2015, 08:11:11 AM »
Coworker just danced by "It's payday!!! Is everyone super excited!"

I resisted the urge to say "is it really?" because the last time I did that people were shocked.  I didn't know today was payday (on a Thursday?)

I have no idea when we get paid as it doesn't matter.  I mean, I would notice if the company stopped depositing the money, and I would certainly be annoyed about it- but the day I get the money is meaningless to me.

That's pretty funny. I have elements of both in my experience. I'm excited for payday, but it's mostly because I am anxious to shift even more money into my taxable accounts. Like you, it doesn't matter to me which exact day the money comes. My lifestyle and ability to pay bills is unaffected.

Payday for me is tomorrow, and I do get excited for it. But that is mostly because I'm currently set up on a pretty razor thin budget to meet my short-term savings goals; I am down to $22 in my personal use bucket.

I still get excited every payday, especially the middle of the month.  This is the paycheck I don't spend.

I get paid and bills get paid. I always check out my paycheck to make sure it makes sense, and it makes me happy to see my NW rise since it drops from the first through the 15th (first paycheck). Got a new job which will reverse this. I'll be paid on the 1st and 15th (instead of 15th and last). It'll be sad to watch the NW decline from the 15th onward :(.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #8201 on: May 14, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »

I resisted the urge to say "is it really?" because the last time I did that people were shocked.  I didn't know today was payday (on a Thursday?)

I have no idea when we get paid as it doesn't matter.  I mean, I would notice if the company stopped depositing the money, and I would certainly be annoyed about it- but the day I get the money is meaningless to me.

That's pretty funny. I have elements of both in my experience. I'm excited for payday, but it's mostly because I am anxious to shift even more money into my taxable accounts. Like you, it doesn't matter to me which exact day the money comes. My lifestyle and ability to pay bills is unaffected.

Payday for me is tomorrow, and I do get excited for it. But that is mostly becuase I'm currently set up on a pretty razor thin budget to meet my short-term savings goals; I am down to $22 in my personal use bucket.

I still get excited every payday, especially the middle of the month.  This is the paycheck I don't spend.
This. I live on a very tight budget with a 60% SR on a 28k income. This means that I have a shitton of surplus but I like to roleplay that I have some kind of crippling wasteful addiction that causes me to spend 60% of my income and forces me to live paycheck to paycheck. The addiction is, of course, buying Vanguard. Every payday I work out again how much I can spend right now and still pay my bills, and I cut it tightly, so I fit right in with the normal workers.
On which note, today is a payday. I've already bought all I can afford to buy in May, trusting that the paychecks from the next two weeks will give me enough for rent.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8202 on: May 14, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »

Payday for me is tomorrow, and I do get excited for it. But that is mostly becuase I'm currently set up on a pretty razor thin budget to meet my short-term savings goals; I am down to $22 in my personal use bucket.

This. I live on a very tight budget with a 60% SR on a 28k income. This means that I have a shitton of surplus but I like to roleplay that I have some kind of crippling wasteful addiction that causes me to spend 60% of my income and forces me to live paycheck to paycheck. The addiction is, of course, buying Vanguard. Every payday I work out again how much I can spend right now and still pay my bills, and I cut it tightly, so I fit right in with the normal workers.
On which note, today is a payday. I've already bought all I can afford to buy in May, trusting that the paychecks from the next two weeks will give me enough for rent.

Yes. I keep myself on a very tight budget. My roommate, who makes 1/3 what I do, is freer with her money than I am. I also keep very little in my checking account. It's effective for me. The more money I see, the more I'll spend. I'm working on it though.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8203 on: May 14, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
I've been working in the same department for about 7 years and given our rate of new hires, am now an "older" employee, despite being 30. The other day, the following exchange occurred with a new CW that makes 60% less than me.

Me: Hey, you have a good weekend?
CW: Yeah, my friend visited and we went shopping. I like having a job now where I have a bunch of money to spend
Me: (wincing internally). Yeah, a paycheck sure is nice. You at least get anything fun?
CW: No, Just a pair of jeans. They were $200, but I find the nice ones last longer, you know?
Me: I don't know, I just get mine from Kohls.
CW: Ugh, no way I would do that... you gotta look good man.

The conversation ended as it was time for me to grab my packed lunch and eat quietly at my desk. Frankly (and my perspective is probably now different as I'm married), but Im perfectly happy judging my self-worth in front of my computer checking my increasing balances than standing in front of a mirror.

Another exchange with a different CW (very stereotypical here, but funny nonetheless)

CW: Hey, my new Iphone came today, I can finally get rid of this crappy 5.
Me: Nice, I heard you can still sell those for a good bit of money on ebay.
CW: Nah, doing that stuff is a ton of work. I'll probably just keep it as a backup, or junk it.
Me <slightly puzzled look>: Hmm. You should try it, it takes about 10 minutes to list something at most. I'm sure you could earn a higher hourly rate than working here by selling it.
CW <staring at me as if I vomited on their shirt>: Wow, nerd alert, who thinks of their time like that?

Fortunately I have likeminded family members that can fill my need to engage in more mustachian conversations.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8204 on: May 14, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
CW: Nah, doing that stuff is a ton of work. I'll probably just keep it as a backup, or junk it.
Me <slightly puzzled look>: Hmm. You should try it, it takes about 10 minutes to list something at most. I'm sure you could earn a higher hourly rate than working here by selling it.
CW <staring at me as if I vomited on their shirt>: Wow, nerd alert, who thinks of their time like that?
"I'll pay you $50 right now for that old iPhone 5"

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8205 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
"I'll pay you $50 right now for that old iPhone 5"

I woulda done that. I've actually had people give me their old electronics they don't want. Free money is free and I'll make the time to hustle to get it.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8206 on: May 14, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
That would have been the smart thing to do. However, my mustachian muscles are still forming, so my first reaction was to stop at internally mocking ;)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8207 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
Yes. I keep myself on a very tight budget. My roommate, who makes 1/3 what I do, is freer with her money than I am. I also keep very little in my checking account. It's effective for me. The more money I see, the more I'll spend. I'm working on it though.
I'm almost 37 and I still have to do that. It's sort of embarrassing in the presence of Badasses, but oh well, it works. $30K->$250K in five years... could do worse.

I find it amusing that my wife (who makes, and spends, about 1/3 of what I do) doesn't feel comfortable without a $2-3K "cushion" in her checking account (we maintain mostly separate finances, though we freely transfer for convenience or need). I can't keep that much around without getting antsy. My cushion consists of diversified income streams and overdraft protection. I try to have every dollar allocated ahead of time, to avoid impulse buying.

Anywho, sorry to ramble... I say good on ya. Whatever works for you is the right approach.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8208 on: May 14, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »

Yup, I got paid today too.  Similar circumstances.  I'm pretty quiet, so I just make a mental note when people get excited about it.  I usually transfer money over about once a month to Vanguard, basically whenever I think about it.  The closer I get to RE, the less I seem to care about it...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8209 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »

Screw that guy! Almost my entire civilian wardrobe consists of a series of Christmas gifts from my MIL bought from Kohls. I look damn good on the weekend.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8210 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »

For payday, the only reason I really know is that one of my tasks is to sign them and hand them to all of the employees.

Yup, I got paid today too.  Similar circumstances.  I'm pretty quiet, so I just make a mental note when people get excited about it.  I usually transfer money over about once a month to Vanguard, basically whenever I think about it.  The closer I get to RE, the less I seem to care about it...

Your call of course, but have you thought about automating your investments towards Vanguard?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:37:09 PM by MgoSam »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8211 on: May 14, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »
I'm not sure, but I suspect we get paid Thursdays because direct deposit (ACH, right?) takes less time than it used to.

Only in the past four or so years: It used to be friday afternoons, then it was in the bank first thing friday morning, then occasionally it would end up in the bank as it closed on thursday late afternoon, now it's there mid-day thursday. Granted, the first three was one company and the last two was my current employer, but given the overlap, I suspect it's all the same process. It gets authorized tuesday or something, 3 business days means friday, but now turnaround times are better than they used to be.

That is my hunch. I don't know shit. Anyone in HR or normal-people banking (commercial banking, right?) know if that's the case?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8212 on: May 14, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
I'm not sure, but I suspect we get paid Thursdays because direct deposit (ACH, right?) takes less time than it used to.

Only in the past four or so years: It used to be friday afternoons, then it was in the bank first thing friday morning, then occasionally it would end up in the bank as it closed on thursday late afternoon, now it's there mid-day thursday. Granted, the first three was one company and the last two was my current employer, but given the overlap, I suspect it's all the same process. It gets authorized tuesday or something, 3 business days means friday, but now turnaround times are better than they used to be.

That is my hunch. I don't know shit. Anyone in HR or normal-people banking (commercial banking, right?) know if that's the case?

Is your pay date still friday (on pay stub?). If so, then your hunch is probably right.  They transmit ACH a day early so it gets into accounts on pay date even in worst case.  I know I get mine Friday midnight.  But it's eastern time so I usually see it in my account on Thursday night.

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #8213 on: May 14, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
It may be mustachian to save $25, but there are times when demonstrating your ability to spend $25 without a fuss is a huge selling point.  If I don't know you, I don't know if you're frugal or maybe you can't afford $25 on short notice, and if you can't afford that, I can't afford to rent to you.
YOU want a tenant. YOU want a credit check. Why shoudl anybody else then YOU pay for things YOU want?

If a landlord balks at paying $25 for a credit check, wants a up-front payment, argues about the deal or is otherwise rude or unpleasant, I would politely move on to other applicants.

It depends on the market. Tampa Bay is a landlord's market, so renters pay. In 2000, I remember my parents and I (having moved to FL) had our rental application fees waived, there were lots of apartment complexes advertising "No Application Fee, First Month Free, Security Deposit 1/2 Off". I haven't seen that in the last few years. That was a good renter's market with deals.

It obviously depends on the market.  McDonalds could try to charge a $10 application fee to buy a burger, and require all diners to pay $25 for a background check.  But as consumers, we typically expect businesses to handle their own costs of doing business and incorporate it into the final price.  We get mad that Ticketmaster wants to charge us a $5 convenience fee to print our tickets at home, and likewise we get mad when landlords want to charge us $25 to run a credit check that benefits them alone.

In many states, there are laws regarding prejudice and renting a place is on a first come first serve basis. So if you send in a $25 application fee, but you're 4th in line. The landlord wouldn't necessarily run a credit check on you before they have checked out the earlier applicants. In that case you can get your $25 back. Sometimes if you pass the checks, the landlord will actually credit you back the $25, if you sign the lease.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8214 on: May 14, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
It may be mustachian to save $25, but there are times when demonstrating your ability to spend $25 without a fuss is a huge selling point.  If I don't know you, I don't know if you're frugal or maybe you can't afford $25 on short notice, and if you can't afford that, I can't afford to rent to you.
YOU want a tenant. YOU want a credit check. Why shoudl anybody else then YOU pay for things YOU want?

If a landlord balks at paying $25 for a credit check, wants a up-front payment, argues about the deal or is otherwise rude or unpleasant, I would politely move on to other applicants.

It depends on the market. Tampa Bay is a landlord's market, so renters pay. In 2000, I remember my parents and I (having moved to FL) had our rental application fees waived, there were lots of apartment complexes advertising "No Application Fee, First Month Free, Security Deposit 1/2 Off". I haven't seen that in the last few years. That was a good renter's market with deals.

It obviously depends on the market.  McDonalds could try to charge a $10 application fee to buy a burger, and require all diners to pay $25 for a background check.  But as consumers, we typically expect businesses to handle their own costs of doing business and incorporate it into the final price.  We get mad that Ticketmaster wants to charge us a $5 convenience fee to print our tickets at home, and likewise we get mad when landlords want to charge us $25 to run a credit check that benefits them alone.

In many states, there are laws regarding prejudice and renting a place is on a first come first serve basis. So if you send in a $25 application fee, but you're 4th in line. The landlord wouldn't necessarily run a credit check on you before they have checked out the earlier applicants. In that case you can get your $25 back. Sometimes if you pass the checks, the landlord will actually credit you back the $25, if you sign the lease.

As it should be.  If it's really a "don't waste my time" deposit, that's fine.  But it's not the norm anywhere I've ever rented.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8215 on: May 14, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
A couple days ago I was in a briefing that lays out our financial entitlements for when we conduct our change of station moves (per diem, mileage, hotel reimbursements).  I'm going to get $.23 per mile for the precise mileage it takes to drive from here to my next duty station.  I did the math and with my 34 mpg car I'll be making a 200% profit on that rate.  There was an officer in the room (LT or CPT I couldn't tell) who raised his hand and asked if he could get a higher rate because of the (some ridiculous SUV) he drove that required premium gasoline.  The young soldier giving the briefing politely explained that there is only one mileage rating, and the rest of us in the room tried not to smirk too much.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8216 on: May 14, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm going to get $.23 per mile for the precise mileage it takes to drive from here to my next duty station.

That's the standard federal rate for moving. Interesting that the rate has actually decreased over the last couple years.
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Standard-Mileage-Rates

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8217 on: May 14, 2015, 06:25:03 PM »

Is your pay date still friday (on pay stub?). If so, then your hunch is probably right.  They transmit ACH a day early so it gets into accounts on pay date even in worst case.  I know I get mine Friday midnight.  But it's eastern time so I usually see it in my account on Thursday night.

Yes, my pay date is Friday, but I get dollas in the bank on Thursday. Just checked. Nice.

I'm going to get $.23 per mile for the precise mileage it takes to drive from here to my next duty station.

That's the standard federal rate for moving. Interesting that the rate has actually decreased over the last couple years.

Yep. I was hoping for 56 cents but apparently moving is only 23 cents. Still got a few hunnert back on tax returns for the 2014 year. That's the rate, whether you drive a 49cc bike or an 8-liter v12 tank. (I don't know what displacement tank engines have, actually. But I know a guy put one in his car once. Insane torque.)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8218 on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
LOL, that is absolutely hilarious!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8219 on: May 15, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
LOL, that is absolutely hilarious!

*Raises hand...

I was super proud of myself yesterday - I needed to get plane tickets, and AA offered me $100 off the fare if I signed up for their card.  Took all of maybe 30 minutes from start to finish (had to call in to confirm some stuff), but that's exactly how I put it - I don't usually get paid $200/hr!  :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8220 on: May 15, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

Haha when I got paid every two weeks, I often had no idea when payday was. Someone would ask and I'd have no idea. Now it's easy, since I'm salaried and we're paid on the 15th and last day of the month- but I might have to check the date to answer that question. :P

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8221 on: May 15, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
A couple days ago I was in a briefing that lays out our financial entitlements for when we conduct our change of station moves (per diem, mileage, hotel reimbursements).  I'm going to get $.23 per mile for the precise mileage it takes to drive from here to my next duty station. I did the math and with my 34 mpg car I'll be making a 200% profit on that rate.  There was an officer in the room (LT or CPT I couldn't tell) who raised his hand and asked if he could get a higher rate because of the (some ridiculous SUV) he drove that required premium gasoline.  The young soldier giving the briefing politely explained that there is only one mileage rating, and the rest of us in the room tried not to smirk too much.

Are you only including gas? Or maintenance and depreciation also? It's amazing if your true cost to own and operate a car is only 12.5 cents/mi.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8222 on: May 15, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »

I love payday. Mainly because on payday Friday I let myself get a doughnut :) So really, I'm most excited about the doughnut :)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8223 on: May 15, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »

We have different rates for different transport types: car, bike, motorcycle, boat,snowmobile, etc. My favorite, and it really is in the list, is reindeer. The rate is the same as biking; $.27 /km. According to some collegues of mine, you can get double rates if you use two reindeer, but anything above that would be just for show, so it is capped at two.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #8224 on: May 15, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »

We have different rates for different transport types: car, bike, motorcycle, boat,snowmobile, etc. My favorite, and it really is in the list, is reindeer. The rate is the same as biking; $.27 /km. According to some collegues of mine, you can get double rates if you use two reindeer, but anything above that would be just for show, so it is capped at two.
I want to take reindeer to work!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #8225 on: May 16, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
My coworker is about to go back to school. I was discussing how when I attended the same program I used to ride the bus (free with student ID) to save money on parking. Oh, no, he says, he'd rather drive every day, even though he lives literally right on the other side of campus. He could walk, but it's further than he wants to walk. My guess would be a 20-30 minute walk or less if he took the campus shuttle bus. By the time he gets across campus by car in horrific morning traffic, parks, and walks in, he's going to take almost that long. But he wants the extra sleep, which he doesn't seem to realize is going to be maybe 5-10 minutes a day. He reasons he's already borrowing a ton of money for school and what's a little more for parking. The only reasoning he had which would have held any water for me is that if he wanted to go somewhere right after class he'd want his car right there rather than having to hike back and get it.

I just looked it up and a parking pass costs about $300 a year, or more like $750 if you want garage access, which he does. I also think he may not realize that the garage pass probably will not get him access to the garages most convenient to our program.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8226 on: May 17, 2015, 05:26:47 AM »
I'm happy for payday each month as it gives me a chance to calculate our net worth. :0

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8227 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Another one who love pay day here! Just opened a stock broking account, so excited to make my next purchase!
Like others here I run a tight budget so I usually have sub $20 in my "spending" account by the time payday rolls about so I'm always happy to have a bit more freedom too :-)

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #8228 on: May 18, 2015, 02:55:08 AM »
Apparently there is a trend to get fake lashes put on, but not by just anyone it has to be a "master". The 2 CW discussing said lashes recommended that I should get mine done as well.

Me: how much does it cost?
CW1: well, it was $150 for the initial visit and then $75 every 2 weeks for touch ups!
CW2: it's so worth it! Then you wouldn't have to worry about mascara!

Gulp! CW1 only makes 10/hr gross...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8229 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »

You still have to esign an efiling.  So it can't be "nobody signs" but it can be "husband fraudulently signs for wife"

Do you really?  What do you do to esign?  Is it just click a button? If so, my husband has always done that for me...
I guess I figured if we were filing jointly he signed for the household.

If you are a paid tax preparer, you are required to obtain signatures (for your files only) of both spouses. I've often had a hunch many husbands were forging their wives signatures, but more out of laziness than anything fraudulent or inappropriate.

But, when you have access to a software that can efile tax returns, you can file without a signature. Yes this is how tax fraud (ID theft) occurs. Getting signatures is the rule, by so is driving 55 MPH and that rule is broken all the time. I'm just saying, most people follow the rules, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to drive 95 MPH. It happens.

Either way, you have to esign with a PIN.  It's a legal signature, but obviously doesn't look like pen and paper.  See:

As with an income tax return submitted to the IRS on paper, the taxpayer and paid preparer (if applicable) must sign an electronic income tax return. Taxpayers must sign individual income tax returns electronically. There are currently two methods for signing individual income tax returns electronically (see Electronic Signature Methods, below).

Both methods allow taxpayers to use a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the return and the Declaration of Taxpayer.

(http://www.irs.gov/uac/Signing-an-Electronic-Tax-Return)

So if your wife doesn't type the PIN herself, you are forging her signature, and are likely guilty of any crimes related thereto (technically, it probably wouldn't come up unless you go through a nasty divorce!)

Not if they have power of attorney.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8230 on: May 18, 2015, 07:09:52 AM »
Apparently there is a trend to get fake lashes put on, but not by just anyone it has to be a "master". The 2 CW discussing said lashes recommended that I should get mine done as well.

CW1: well, it was $150 for the initial visit and then $75 every 2 weeks for touch ups!

It is so amazing to me to see how easily people can be talked into spending money they don't have on beauty treatments, yikes

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8231 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
We get mad that Ticketmaster wants to charge us a $5 convenience fee to print our tickets at home

Which is why I refuse to buy from ticketmaster.  I'll drive out of my way to go to the box office, or if I can't/don't want to, I'll forgo the show.  The full ticketmaster fee was $2, which included real tickets in the mail, when I started going to concerts.  That wasn't that long ago (I'm only 35).  I hate ticketmaster with a passion.

I get mad about this too but I wonder how much you're paying in gas/wear/tear on your car to get to the site to purchase your ticket.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #8232 on: May 18, 2015, 07:24:35 AM »

I'm having a moment of clarity.  I met a woman at the pool last week.  I could tell from the conversation (they neighborhood they live in, the neighborhood they're moving to, the clothes she was wearing, and other small details) that they're high earners and spenders.  I also noticed her extraordinarily long eyelashes.  Unusually, oddly long.  I now realize that they must be fake.  This makes a lot of sense!

Sign me up as another who likes payday.  I actually never knew when payday was until I started tracking our investments using Mint.  Now I have fun seeing the jump in value on the days contributions hit Vanguard.  It's fun to celebrate small victories.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8233 on: May 18, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
I've been working in the same department for about 7 years and given our rate of new hires, am now an "older" employee, despite being 30. The other day, the following exchange occurred with a new CW that makes 60% less than me.

Me: Hey, you have a good weekend?
CW: Yeah, my friend visited and we went shopping. I like having a job now where I have a bunch of money to spend
Me: (wincing internally). Yeah, a paycheck sure is nice. You at least get anything fun?
CW: No, Just a pair of jeans. They were $200, but I find the nice ones last longer, you know?

The conversation ended as it was time for me to grab my packed lunch and eat quietly at my desk. Frankly (and my perspective is probably now different as I'm married), but Im perfectly happy judging my self-worth in front of my computer checking my increasing balances than standing in front of a mirror.

Another exchange with a different CW (very stereotypical here, but funny nonetheless)

Fortunately I have likeminded family members that can fill my need to engage in more mustachian conversations.

It's true. We sold our iphone 3GS's and then our 5's (when we switched over to RW). Was easy and made a lot of money back to cover our new phones each time.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8234 on: May 18, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
I'm almost 37 and I still have to do that. It's sort of embarrassing in the presence of Badasses, but oh well, it works. $30K->$250K in five years... could do worse.

I find it amusing that my wife (who makes, and spends, about 1/3 of what I do) doesn't feel comfortable without a $2-3K "cushion" in her checking account (we maintain mostly separate finances, though we freely transfer for convenience or need). I can't keep that much around without getting antsy. My cushion consists of diversified income streams and overdraft protection. I try to have every dollar allocated ahead of time, to avoid impulse buying.

Anywho, sorry to ramble... I say good on ya. Whatever works for you is the right approach.

This blows my mind. We have 10k+ in our checking accounts because we save up for things: SIL wedding next year, appliance replacement, other crap too and it all just adds up. We are YNAB believers though so it really doesn't matter which account the money is actually in.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8235 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »

This blows my mind. We have 10k+ in our checking accounts because we save up for things: SIL wedding next year, appliance replacement, other crap too and it all just adds up. We are YNAB believers though so it really doesn't matter which account the money is actually in.

But this just speaks to the psychological/emotional side of money.  Some people can do this, others can't.  We save up for things, as well, but I don't leave that money in our checking account.  We have a number of savings accounts designated for specific things we're saving for, and we put a set amount of money in each of those accounts every month.  It's not because we "cant" save it in a checking account, it's because I like the feeling of having these pots of money designated, and I like seeing the actual amounts we have saved up for each project.  In the checking accounts (his and mine) we maintain about $700-1000 most of the time. 

It doesn't matter where you put the money.  It's whatever works best for your particular personality.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8236 on: May 18, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »

It always amazes me how just optional expenses are seen as "worth it" to ordinary we earners.  It is worth working 7.5 hours every two weeks (not including taxes!) just to avoid worrying about mascara? 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8237 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

But this just speaks to the psychological/emotional side of money.  Some people can do this, others can't.  We save up for things, as well, but I don't leave that money in our checking account.  We have a number of savings accounts designated for specific things we're saving for, and we put a set amount of money in each of those accounts every month.  It's not because we "cant" save it in a checking account, it's because I like the feeling of having these pots of money designated, and I like seeing the actual amounts we have saved up for each project.  In the checking accounts (his and mine) we maintain about $700-1000 most of the time. 

It doesn't matter where you put the money.  It's whatever works best for your particular personality.

In my case, the shit may hit the fan in a few months. Thanks to the lovely posters on the forum, it finally dawned on me that I have a cash back credit card, so I should be using that rather than my debit card. Result? Very few transactions in the checking account and the meaning of the balance is changing. I'm having to relearn how to manage my budget, on the fly. So far, so good, though ask me in 6 months...

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #8238 on: May 18, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
My coworker is about to go back to school. I was discussing how when I attended the same program I used to ride the bus (free with student ID) to save money on parking. Oh, no, he says, he'd rather drive every day, even though he lives literally right on the other side of campus. He could walk, but it's further than he wants to walk. My guess would be a 20-30 minute walk or less if he took the campus shuttle bus. By the time he gets across campus by car in horrific morning traffic, parks, and walks in, he's going to take almost that long. But he wants the extra sleep, which he doesn't seem to realize is going to be maybe 5-10 minutes a day. He reasons he's already borrowing a ton of money for school and what's a little more for parking. The only reasoning he had which would have held any water for me is that if he wanted to go somewhere right after class he'd want his car right there rather than having to hike back and get it.

I just looked it up and a parking pass costs about $300 a year, or more like $750 if you want garage access, which he does. I also think he may not realize that the garage pass probably will not get him access to the garages most convenient to our program.

When I was in school, a neighbor drove to class everyday.  He had to park on the wrong side of campus (since he didn't want to wake up 25minutes earlier to get a parking spot in a closer lot), then catch a bus to the main part of campus.  I walked 2 blocks to the normal bus stop and rode the free bus in (had to switch buses on campus to get to the right spot on campus).  I would spend less time from "leaves house" to "gets to class" than he would.  He paid $275/yr plus gas for the 'convenience' of waiting in traffic and taking longer.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8239 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
We get mad that Ticketmaster wants to charge us a $5 convenience fee to print our tickets at home

Which is why I refuse to buy from ticketmaster.  I'll drive out of my way to go to the box office, or if I can't/don't want to, I'll forgo the show.  The full ticketmaster fee was $2, which included real tickets in the mail, when I started going to concerts.  That wasn't that long ago (I'm only 35).  I hate ticketmaster with a passion.

I get mad about this too but I wonder how much you're paying in gas/wear/tear on your car to get to the site to purchase your ticket.

I usually do joint errands to get tickets, but I probably have spent more to go get tickets and not pay ticketmaster, which is fine.  It's not just about the money, it's about not supporting money gouging or business practices you don't agree with.  Like paying more to get the same item at a small local business vs getting it at walmart.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8240 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

When I was in school, a neighbor drove to class everyday.  He had to park on the wrong side of campus (since he didn't want to wake up 25minutes earlier to get a parking spot in a closer lot), then catch a bus to the main part of campus.  I walked 2 blocks to the normal bus stop and rode the free bus in (had to switch buses on campus to get to the right spot on campus).  I would spend less time from "leaves house" to "gets to class" than he would.  He paid $275/yr plus gas for the 'convenience' of waiting in traffic and taking longer.

The part that also gets me is that walking 20 minutes each way will do wonders for the person's health. That's at least a mile and as someone that finds walking to be a relaxing and easy way to unwind, I recommend it for others.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #8241 on: May 18, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »

The part that also gets me is that walking 20 minutes each way will do wonders for the person's health. That's at least a mile and as someone that finds walking to be a relaxing and easy way to unwind, I recommend it for others.

I walk 2 miles to work and 2 miles home. I've timed it multiple times, it takes me ~36 minutes one way, regardless of which cross-walks I hit/miss. My friends/co-workers think I'm crazy... I sit in front of a computer, in a cubicle with no window in sight ALL DAY. I'll take the little bit of time outside + slight exercise, thank you!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8242 on: May 18, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »

I walk 2 miles to work and 2 miles home. I've timed it multiple times, it takes me ~36 minutes one way, regardless of which cross-walks I hit/miss. My friends/co-workers think I'm crazy... I sit in front of a computer, in a cubicle with no window in sight ALL DAY. I'll take the little bit of time outside + slight exercise, thank you!

36 minutes isn't even that bad of a commute compared to a lot of people, and to have it be 100% exercise and fresh air, how is that not win-win-win

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8243 on: May 18, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »
It is worth working 7.5 hours every two weeks (not including taxes!) just to avoid worrying about mascara?

I use the time-honored yet radical method of "not wearing mascara" in order to avoid worrying about mascara. Totally worth it ;-)

TightYorkshireman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8244 on: May 18, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »
Co-worker today: "have you heard of Hot Pot?"  She explained it's a new thing where you select ingredients and then cook them yourself in a stew

Me:  "Did you go to your GF's house or cook it at your place?"

Co-worker: "No at this new Asian restaurant"

Me: "So you pay a restaurant while you cook your own food?"

Co-worker: "But you also get sushi"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8245 on: May 18, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
Co-worker today: "have you heard of Hot Pot?"  She explained it's a new thing where you select ingredients and then cook them yourself in a stew

It's really tasty and honestly worth doing. That said, if you plan ahead you can do it at home. One of my best friends is a great cook and her favorite restaurant here in town is nearly solely Hot Pot only and she wants to go often.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8246 on: May 18, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
I haven't been to hot pot, but I've been to korean BBQ places where you cook your own stuff, and melting pot (fondue) where you do the same.

It's fun and delicious.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8247 on: May 18, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Hot pot and korean barbecue and etc are pretty cool. As always, in moderation.

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8248 on: May 18, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »

Hot Pot is fantastic and if you get authentic Sichuan Hot Pot, it is pretty much the best thing ever. It is also hard to make at home unless you bring the right soup bases back from China and you don't mind your house and EVERYTHING in it smelling like Hot Pot for more than a week. That being said, I make it at home all the time, but do enjoy the occasionally Hot Pot out so I don't have to deal with the smell.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #8249 on: May 18, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »

Mindboggling. My coworker is a smart guy. Maybe he will figure this out. I told my husband and he said this guy should buy a bike. I'm going to have to suggest that to him when I see him next.

When I was in school, I had a classmate who lived right next to the shuttle bus stop. A couple of quarters I did buy a parking pass to park in the far-out lot and rode this bus which dropped me off right across from our classes. So I rode with this gal and she told me that usually she rode this bus (which took about 10 minutes) but sometimes she drove... headscratch.