Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252616 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8050 on: May 04, 2015, 11:22:54 AM »
Then I hear him say "Yeah, but I'm going to need to get a loan from the bank for this because I just bought a new truck so I can move my stuff"

Why not rent a car for a few days, or better yet, make friends with someone that owns a truck.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8051 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
Then I hear him say "Yeah, but I'm going to need to get a loan from the bank for this because I just bought a new truck so I can move my stuff"

Why not rent a car for a few days, or better yet, make friends with someone that owns a truck.

I bought a truck when I knew I was going to have to move four times in the span of about a year and a half. All I needed was a truck bed so I bought a nearly decade old, 2WD, 4-cylinder, Nissan pickup for $1500. I sold it for $1700. Not sure if it ended up being cheaper than renting, but it worked out pretty well overall. I don't understand buying a new truck just for the sake of moving stuff.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #8052 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »

Are you asking me?  Because I really don't know! :)

I started eavesdropping because I actually ran into this guy at the library earlier (so he's got some things right), and he caught my attention (and anger) because he was such a loud talker I had to put in earbuds and listen to music.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8053 on: May 04, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »

Haha I sold a truck years ago because I realized that most of what I did with it was move other peoples' shit...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8054 on: May 04, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
A coworker probably should be on this forum, but I doubt he is, not that type. He's got a couple of rentals, and has been showing a unit for a week or so. He was telling me about a woman who wanted to rent the unit.

Over the year's lease, rent is $10k, and the resident also pays electric.

The woman:
-has 2 kids
-has a car payment on a 2015 SUV of some sort
-gets monthly child support
-makes $20k a year
-currently lives with her aunt, rent free

He's not going to rent to her. She had absolutely no idea why.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8055 on: May 04, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
Sibley, I see you're in Chicago... Where is that rental unit in question?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8056 on: May 04, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

To be fair child support could be a lot of money.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #8057 on: May 04, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »
I don't even know where to start. I work for the government and the combination of good pay, job security, and defined benefit plans seem to make otherwise intelligent and responsible people desperate to spend every last cent they earn.

One time my supervisor was lamenting about his refrigerator was broken. He had a repair guy out to give an estimate on fixing it. I thought, "Good for you - seeing if it can be fixed instead of running out to immediately buy a new one."

Then he said the repair estimate was $400, which was a lot, but still much cheaper than a replacement.

I said, "Wait, what? That can't be right. Granted it was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure we only paid like $400 when we bought our last fridge. How much did your fridge cost?"

He said "$1200."

My eyes must have been bugging out of my head because he quickly explained, "Well we need a big fridge, we have two kids." The kids in question aren't even starving teenagers... they're elementary school age. Do children require stainless steel and french doors as well? Because those are the only $1200 refrigerators I've seen.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8058 on: May 04, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
I don't even know where to start. I work for the government and the combination of good pay, job security, and defined benefit plans seem to make otherwise intelligent and responsible people desperate to spend every last cent they earn.

One time my supervisor was lamenting about his refrigerator was broken. He had a repair guy out to give an estimate on fixing it. I thought, "Good for you - seeing if it can be fixed instead of running out to immediately buy a new one."

Then he said the repair estimate was $400, which was a lot, but still much cheaper than a replacement.

I said, "Wait, what? That can't be right. Granted it was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure we only paid like $400 when we bought our last fridge. How much did your fridge cost?"

He said "$1200."

My eyes must have been bugging out of my head because he quickly explained, "Well we need a big fridge, we have two kids." The kids in question aren't even starving teenagers... they're elementary school age. Do children require stainless steel and french doors as well? Because those are the only $1200 refrigerators I've seen.

Children don't require an extra large fridge and $1200 isn't even an expensive one, the last one I priced out at Home Depot I wanted was $3400, I almost choked, then found a used one on CL for $1200 and was super happy with it, it's my most favorite fridge I've ever used :) But one of the houses we looked at buying had a cool side by side, like each side is a full sized fridge and a freezer, I thought that was a neat feature, so I priced it out for the foreclosure we bought and it literally came with nothing, they were $10k We didn't get one, but wow.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #8059 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »

He said "$1200."

Children don't require an extra large fridge and $1200 isn't even an expensive one, the last one I priced out at Home Depot I wanted was $3400, I almost choked, then found a used one on CL for $1200 and was super happy with it, it's my most favorite fridge I've ever used :) But one of the houses we looked at buying had a cool side by side, like each side is a full sized fridge and a freezer, I thought that was a neat feature, so I priced it out for the foreclosure we bought and it literally came with nothing, they were $10k We didn't get one, but wow.

Holy cow! What does a $3400 fridge do, cook your meals for you? :) This is roughly the fridge we have: http://www.sears.com/kenmore-18-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-white/p-04660412000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1, and it does a fantastic job of keeping my food cold.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8060 on: May 05, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »
When my mother moved we rented one of the white boxes for a day. Cost us 103€. 100€ rent, 3€ fuel, was only a one-mile-move.
Simply the difference between a small car and the truck in one month will be more O.o

@fridges:
We bought a new one to save energy. So it was not broken and we had time. Got one for 300€ instead of the usual 500-700€. Saves at least 70€ energy costs a year compared to the last one.

So I cant understand how you can pay so much. Its like money wasnt soemthing valuable. For the difference you could do so much better things.

Camarillo Brillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8061 on: May 05, 2015, 07:11:32 AM »

He said "$1200."

Holy cow! What does a $3400 fridge do, cook your meals for you? :) This is roughly the fridge we have: http://www.sears.com/kenmore-18-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-white/p-04660412000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1, and it does a fantastic job of keeping my food cold.
Hmmmphhhh . . . $3,400.  That's nothing.  Check out this $14,000 bad boy.  http://www.subzero-wolf.com/~/media/images/frame%20images/vr_frame_sz_pro48.jpg?quality=80&width=1900

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8062 on: May 05, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »

He said "$1200."

Hmmmphhhh . . . $3,400.  That's nothing.  Check out this $14,000 bad boy.  http://www.subzero-wolf.com/~/media/images/frame%20images/vr_frame_sz_pro48.jpg?quality=80&width=1900

Awesome kitchen design-- no counter space to actually prepare anything :D.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8063 on: May 05, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »

He said "$1200."

I used to own an appliance repair business, Believe it $14000 is not the super high end stuff that you can buy(in CAD dollars anyways).  I remember there was one I was working on, I got the receipt because it was warranty.  It had the fridge, freezer, and stove on it.  They were an all fridge and all freezer side by side.  Sub zero ridge freezer, and wolf oven. 

The Fridge and Freezer were $11500 each and the stove was $14250.  The best part was the McDonalds bags sat on top of the stove.  Clearly with almost 37000 worth of kitchen appliances you don't have time to make their own meals.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8064 on: May 05, 2015, 07:44:55 AM »
I used to own an appliance repair business, Believe it $14000 is not the super high end stuff that you can buy(in CAD dollars anyways).  I remember there was one I was working on, I got the receipt because it was warranty.  It had the fridge, freezer, and stove on it.  They were an all fridge and all freezer side by side.  Sub zero ridge freezer, and wolf oven. 

The Fridge and Freezer were $11500 each and the stove was $14250.  The best part was the McDonalds bags sat on top of the stove.  Clearly with almost 37000 worth of kitchen appliances you don't have time to make their own meals.

Devils advocate: how could they make their food if the stuff was out of order?

If I ever get stupid rich, I will have a sub-zero. A few relatives have had them. It is silly, but they really are nice.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8065 on: May 05, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »

He said "$1200."

That nothin.  $48k stove (if you're willing to settle for the pleb base model, that is):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcellefischler/2013/07/16/a-47000-stove-and-other-amazingly-expensive-kitchen-appliances/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:07:45 AM by dragoncar »

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8066 on: May 05, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »

If I ever get stupid rich, I will have a sub-zero. A few relatives have had them. It is silly, but they really are nice.

Lol... Freezer not making ice... everything else still worked... so could have made what ever they wanted.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8067 on: May 05, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »

Lol... Freezer not making ice... everything else still worked... so could have made what ever they wanted.

(Because I am in a contrarian mood today): Maybe they just bought ice at McD's... That is what we do when we need to fill a cooler, $1 a bag.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8068 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »

I don't know the age of her kids, but so can daycare.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8069 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »

He said "$1200."

I have a ridiculous fridge! This stainless, enormous, fancy-pants fridge was acquired for free when the previous owner had a tech out to fix it and the repair bill was going to be at least $800. My dad disassembled it and redid some of the wire connectors (twice, first time it broke again) and it has worked flawlessly for 18 months, now.

Everybody should have a free ridiculous fridge, it's too easy and anyone who doesn't is just a sucker. Get your dad to fix one up. /s

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8070 on: May 05, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
What kind of situation or state of mind would you have to be in NOT to open mail like that?

I believe it's called denial, and it's quite common. You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't open bills and just hope they go away.

I was helping a friend move once and they had a box full of unopened credit card bills. Apparently they never checked them, they just paid what they could and tried not to think about it.  I can't imagine that ended well. Fell out of touch with them though, so I hope they eventually smartened up.

A few years ago my younger sister was laid up with a major surgery. I knew that she is a total F-up, but didn't really comprehend how extreme it had gotten. By the time I got involved, she hadn't touched a piece of mail for five or six months. In the end she had to HIDE a nearly new car, in her friend's barn. This was to keep it from being repossessed, until she had a chance to work it out with the lender. Not only did she have no real expenses, since she was leaching off of her mother, but she had plenty of income to pay the note, which was $125/month. Depression, denial, mental illness......... it can really make for one hell of a low credit score, and huge amounts of needless stress.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8071 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »

(Because I am in a contrarian mood today): Maybe they just bought ice at McD's... That is what we do when we need to fill a cooler, $1 a bag.
Hmm.... that would be the first time I have ever seen ice in a big mac container... 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8072 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »
Sibley, I see you're in Chicago... Where is that rental unit in question?

Not sure, but he rented it yesterday to someone.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8073 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »

They way he told me, she really didn't have her finances together and was too ignorant to realize it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8074 on: May 05, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »

He said "$1200."

Seems like a lot, right?  We bought our fridge in 2001 when we moved into a rental that didn't have one. It was $600, from Sears, energy star.

Well, darn it they are so expensive now!  Our fridge started having issues a few years ago - the fan in the freezer broke (it keeps the fridge cold), and the guy who came to look at it (from Sears) said it would be $300 to fix or we could go buy the part ourselves for $75.  Which is what we did.  Also, one of our drawers/slides broke, and I found the part online for $35 and fixed it myself (I was so proud).

Occasionally we wish we had an automatic ice maker in our fridge.  There was a nice stainless fridge for sale used, locally, for $600.  I would have jumped on it except it is 33.5 inches, and our space is only 30 inches (when we bought our house, my husband built cabinets around the fridge).

So anyway, it looks like the current version of what we have is about $510 (19-20 cu ft?  I honestly don't know how big our fridge is). 
If you want freezer on the bottom, which is more practical I know, is $1000 or more.
Icemaker and french doors?  $1400 and up.

I'll just keep making my two trays of ice a day, thanks.  I guess if I were to spend $1500 on a fridge, instead of $500, and it lasted me 20 years - that's what, 50 a year for the ice feature?  Hm.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8075 on: May 05, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

My friends in the Bay Area have this joke they saw in a newspaper.  Their house has an expensive stove and a sub-zero fridge (there when they bought it), and the big joke up there is people having those items and eating takeout.

Whomever posted the low-end Sears white fridge link? Yep, that's my fridge.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8076 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »

They way he told me, she really didn't have her finances together and was too ignorant to realize it.

This landlord is considering writing a book with all the stories accumulated over a decade plus.  I've often had tenants fill out an application, and their gross monthly income barely covers the rent.  So I ask, "how will you eat?"  Most common response is that a parent is subsidizing them.

I've had prospective tenants show up early and interrupt a meeting w/another prospective tenant b/c they were busy, ones who didn't want to pay the fees to run a credit check, and ones who asked what would happen if they changed their mind about moving in after handing over the non-refundable deposit.  All were denied tenancy, and all were upset and didn't understand why.  So many people don't look at it for what it is - a job interview.  If they aren't on their best behavior now, I can only imagine what a hassle they will be once they are settled in and their real personalities show!

I am grateful to those people for showing their true colors early - makes it easy to weed out w/confidence..

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8077 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »

My friends in the Bay Area have this joke they saw in a newspaper.  Their house has an expensive stove and a sub-zero fridge (there when they bought it), and the big joke up there is people having those items and eating takeout.

I still keep in touch with the guys at the appliance store whom I serviced... so when I needed a fridge I got the low end one... it was $415.  They last just as long as the $5000 trust me on that.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8078 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »

That's hilarious--that's the exact fridge my wife and I bought 10 years ago!  And it's still running fine!

Of course, it's now our *second* fridge--we picked up a fancy-pants french door, bottom freezer, ice maker fridge from our next door neighbors for $75 when they moved.  We've never had a single problem with that simple 30" fridge in 10 years of use, other than a deli drawer slide cracking under too much weight.

Here's the funny thing:  I swear that old 18 cu ft fridge has more capacity than our fancypants 25 cu ft french door fridge.  Case in point: simple fridge can fit 3 milk jugs front-to-back on a shelf.  Fancypants fridge can only fit 2, with a few inches to spare.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:55:08 AM by zolotiyeruki »

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #8079 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »

Mine too!

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #8080 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
Co-worker just mentioned his wife purchased a $1,100+ purse while they were in Europe!! WTF?!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8081 on: May 05, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
Co-worker just mentioned his wife purchased a $1,100+ purse while they were in Europe!! WTF?!

There is no way she need that... there is nothing to put in it.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8082 on: May 05, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »

I don't get it...is he gloating?

If he is, in the world of purses, $1,100 isn't much....

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #8083 on: May 05, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
We both had went to Europe around the same timeframe. He was curious to the total cost comparison.

He tried to exclude the $1,100 purse spend from his total. We spent $2K less, in our two weeks in Italy vs. his one week in Paris and Amsterdam, and that excludes the purse lol. They're both "good people", just have grown up with higher income parents in their families and a spending aptitude! 

No rationalization or gloating, it was just an another main expense of their trip.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8084 on: May 05, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

This landlord is considering writing a book with all the stories accumulated over a decade plus.  I've often had tenants fill out an application, and their gross monthly income barely covers the rent.  So I ask, "how will you eat?"  Most common response is that a parent is subsidizing them.

I've had prospective tenants show up early and interrupt a meeting w/another prospective tenant b/c they were busy, ones who didn't want to pay the fees to run a credit check, and ones who asked what would happen if they changed their mind about moving in after handing over the non-refundable deposit.  All were denied tenancy, and all were upset and didn't understand why.  So many people don't look at it for what it is - a job interview.  If they aren't on their best behavior now, I can only imagine what a hassle they will be once they are settled in and their real personalities show!

I am grateful to those people for showing their true colors early - makes it easy to weed out w/confidence..

I agree! My parents have a rental, they're looking for a tenant right now. One woman came to see it, and was the classic stereotypical "pushy broad". Was in the wrong side of the basement and wouldn't leave, etc. Horribly rude person.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8085 on: May 05, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »

I'm curious on the credit check charge. I'd have a slight problem paying it--it is in your interest as the landlord to make sure that I will pay. I know I will pay, I have always paid (albiet a few times a few days late, but that has been due to me and my landlord not meeting up--we live next door). You don't know that. YOU should pay for this, not me.

I would be ok with a "We'll knock it off the first months rent if you sign after a clean check". It probably wouldn't stop me if it was by far the best or only option, but it would still honk me off.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8086 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »

I'm curious on the credit check charge. I'd have a slight problem paying it--it is in your interest as the landlord to make sure that I will pay. I know I will pay, I have always paid (albiet a few times a few days late, but that has been due to me and my landlord not meeting up--we live next door). You don't know that. YOU should pay for this, not me.

I would be ok with a "We'll knock it off the first months rent if you sign after a clean check". It probably wouldn't stop me if it was by far the best or only option, but it would still honk me off.

I don't pay it either and have never had a problem getting a place to rent. I just bring my up to date credit report with me, as well as pay stubs, and proof of some cash. All of the landlords are always amazed i have all of the stuff on me when I'm looking. I'm also a no hassle tenant, I haven't talked to my landlord once and I've been living in the same place for almost 3 years now! I think he/she is also giving me a break on the rent increases due to this since I live in silicon valley but my rent is only going up a couple % per year.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8087 on: May 05, 2015, 12:24:30 PM »

As in, you think the landlord should pay for it? Well, if you have no skin in the game, then it doesn't hurt you to apply to multiple places you have no intentions of renting. You're just hurting the landlord. How is that fair? You're the one who wants to live on their property.

My parents split it the cost of the (legally required) background check.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8088 on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »

As in, you think the landlord should pay for it? Well, if you have no skin in the game, then it doesn't hurt you to apply to multiple places you have no intentions of renting. You're just hurting the landlord. How is that fair? You're the one who wants to live on their property.

Like I said, I'm ok with it if it is refunded after signing. But my view is that it should be built into the rent. It is a cost of landlording.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #8089 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »

I think in the past the credit check charge has been knocked off my first month's rent.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #8090 on: May 05, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »

I think in the past the credit check charge has been knocked off my first month's rent.

Thing that amazes me is people who pay for the credit check even though they have horrible credit. I tell people up front what the requirements are: no bankruptcies, no delinquencies, etc, and if you fail it I'm not refunding the fee. Yet I've had people go ahead with the check even though they have debts in collections, they're 6 months behind on tens of thousands of payments, even have debt payments totaling more than their monthly income. It just blows my mind - total waste of their money and my time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8091 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »

Like I said, I'm ok with it if it is refunded after signing. But my view is that it should be built into the rent. It is a cost of landlording.

I think it REALLY depends on the market.  I live in a very expensive rental market.  When we last rented (moved out of student housing), we looked at 3 or 4 of 2BR places, applied to one that we really liked.  There was another one that we liked that was kind of a back-up.  Well, the back-up place called US.  The first place ended up giving the duplex to the first applicant that passed the credit check.  The second place took our application, but we hadn't paid for the credit check.  Apparently she was not impressed with the remaining applicants and gave it to us.  (We hadn't applied because we were waiting on the first one.)

Well, nowadays the rental market is super tight.  Very hard to find a place, impossible if you have pets.  Landlords can be very picky.  You don't want to pay for a credit check?  Someone else will.  Case in point, there was an ad today on our local page of someone looking for a 3BR or 4BR for $2200/mo or 2500/mo.  She's been renting a 3BR at 1800 and a 4BR at $2400, but the house is being sold.  She also noted that she's been in her rentals for 7-8 years, and the rents have not increased.

Well, a 3BR is at least $3000/month, generally more.  There are many people willing to pay that. So landlords can require a credit check (that you pay for), can say "no pets", can limit the # of people living there (there are 650 sf studio apartments for rent that landlords say "1 person only", because they can).  Also: no Section 8, no smoking, etc. etc.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8092 on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

Well, a 3BR is at least $3000/month, generally more.  There are many people willing to pay that. So landlords can require a credit check (that you pay for), can say "no pets", can limit the # of people living there (there are 650 sf studio apartments for rent that landlords say "1 person only", because they can).  Also: no Section 8, no smoking, etc. etc.

What do these places cost to buy?

You could build a nice 3BR out here for $150k including the lot. I'm wondering if these landlords are even making money, what's the capital involved here? Are renovations more expensive there as well?

Linette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8093 on: May 05, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »
For an outsider like me, how much does a credit check cost?

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #8094 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
For an outsider like me, how much does a credit check cost?

The outfit I use costs $25 for credit, background (ie, criminal) and rental history. I think that's about average - there are some that cost more and some that cost less.

A person can request their own credit check for free and just give a copy to the landlord. I used to offer that as an option, but nobody ever took me up on it so I stopped bothering.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #8095 on: May 05, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
Overheard that someone's 19 year old nephew picked up a new car that was stickered somewhere in the $28,000 range. The terms was a 72 month loan at 25% interest and no money down. His payments are WELL over $700/month and will end up paying about $58,000.

I didn't even know that this kind of thing was possible.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8096 on: May 05, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »
Overheard that someone's 19 year old nephew picked up a new car that was stickered somewhere in the $28,000 range. The terms was a 72 month loan at 25% interest and no money down. His payments are WELL over $700/month and will end up paying about $58,000.

I didn't even know that this kind of thing was possible.

This sounds like predatory lending to me...

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #8097 on: May 05, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Nice watch. Very cool. I'll pass, though! I'll enjoy looking from afar. I am (unlike some here) glad that some people have the money to fund ... well, functional art.

on the topic of Frugality, many of these super high end watches, if purchased correctly will not lose value, and may even gain value over a period of 10+ years. That makes the operating cost (and unrealized losses) lower than other watches.

I know some (wealthy) who have watches insured and part of their investment portfolio (that you can wear)
Maybe we should start making VFINX watches that show current value at all times to wear around and show off our stache's?

That being said I daily wear a cloth band SEIKO.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8098 on: May 05, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »
Nice watch. Very cool. I'll pass, though! I'll enjoy looking from afar. I am (unlike some here) glad that some people have the money to fund ... well, functional art.

on the topic of Frugality, many of these super high end watches, if purchased correctly will not lose value, and may even gain value over a period of 10+ years. That makes the operating cost (and unrealized losses) lower than other watches.

I know some (wealthy) who have watches insured and part of their investment portfolio (that you can wear)
Maybe we should start making VFINX watches that show current value at all times to wear around and show off our stache's?

That being said I daily wear a cloth band SEIKO.

A $10k watch that does not lose value (let's say it tracks with inflation) is still going to be significantly more expensive than buying a new $50 watch every year. You could invest the $10k instead and beat inflation. In addition, if you're planning on wearing it you'll have to insure it against possible theft or damage or risk losing your "investment". I imagine it would cost some money to keep it maintained as well.

I'd venture to guess that picking a watch that will appreciate in value enough to make it a good investment is sort of like being able to pick an individual successful stock. Though I'm certainly no expert on watches, as I haven't worn one since I was in high school.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8099 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
Doesn't help that probably every luxury watchmaker has multiple "limited edition" releases every year, all of which "might" appreciate in value because of their "rarity."

I probably would not consider as an investment anything that has no real value and no real use, whose only value comes from money other people might be willing to pay, because of the perceived value or rarity. Also one of the reasons I don't like gold as a form of / alternative to currency: it has no value beyond tradition, and its uses as decoration or in industrial / electronic / scientific applications. When times are tough, people trade gold family heirlooms for a day's worth of food or sturdy shoes.

And I mean, same goes for any art. Once bought, it's bought. Keep it. If you rely on its value as an investment... meh. As long as society prospers, you will probably do okay, but I admit to a little bit of schadenfreude watching people firesell art during economic downturns.

/offtopic