Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252478 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #800 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »

Have you seen the Steve Martin Saturday Night Live skit about debt? Very funny.

It's called "Don't buy stuff you cannot afford" and it is hilarious.

Link to the sketch http://vimeo.com/60345640#at=0

Watched it this weekend, it was great. I was cracking up, my boyfriend was listening across the table and shaking his head.

I've got a great idea for the "but wait, there's more!" add-on: a face punch in a box!

It's like a jack-in-the-box, except you turn the handle when you're tempted to buy something... and then it punches you in the face like you're a cartoon character.

It's brilliant, I tell ya! And for only nine easy payments of what the fuck were you thinking?!

Shut up and take my money!!!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: October 02, 2013, 10:57:40 PM »
Okay, I have one that I just have to gripe about. It's not quite work, but one of the women I ride the train with causes me regular cringing.  I try to cut her some slack b/c she has a 6-month old baby and I'm sure that puts a lot of constraints on her life that I don't have, but still...

-Recently was saying she was thinking of starting to drive to the train station (parking is $5/day) vs. taking the light rail (included in the montly pass that she already has to buy for the commute to the city) because she doesn't want to have to walk to the light rail station in the rain during the winter (walk is allegedly about 5 mins).  She was asking me what I plan to do when rainy season starts: "wear a jacket?"

Another ongoing complaint is with childcare.  She is now on her second nanny (fired the first one), and this one is not working out either.  They are looking for a new nanny, and apparently is having a hard time finding one who will take less than $700/week.  Apparently they "just absolutely cannot afford that, what is the point of me working???".  I can sympathize that this is a LOT of money, but...

1. They aren't offering any other benefits, so if the nanny works every single week, that's just a little over $36k/year.  Their current nanny is a single mother.  We live in the Bay Area, not exactly cheap.  I'm wouldn't be surprised if it's all under the table and the nanny is either not declaring or underdeclaring her income, but still...$700/week is not exactly a luxurious salary.  They also expect the nanny to be first aid/CPR certified.

2. The nanny is being expected to work close to 10-11 hours/day because train friend and her husband work long hours and have long commutes.

I get that childcare around here can be a nightmare and I'm frankly pretty worried that my partner and I will be finding ourselves in a similar situation in a year or two, so I try to be sympathetic, but then she:

1.  Books a weeklong vacation to Hawaii
2. Books plane tickets to visit family back east for Thanksgiving weekend
3. Books plane tickets to go to a wedding in November
4. Has a fancy-ass gym membership
5. Regularly gets manicures, professional hair coloring, etc.
6. Buys coffee en route to work several times a week
7. Buys lunch every day
8. Seems to go wine tasting or to lunch with friends every weekend
9. Rents a 3 bedroom townhouse and is talking about upgrading to a 4th bedroom (they are thinking of having a 2nd kid, apparently they must have separate bedrooms for each kid AND a dedicated guest bedroom).
10. Two iphones

I don't know exactly what she's currently paying the nanny, but I'm guessing it is at least $500/week, if she just cut/trimmed a few things on that list above, I'm pretty sure they could free up $200/month without too much difficulty.  I think her salary is relatively close to mine (maybe even more), which means that even if she were to pay $700/week for childcare, she would still be taking home a reasonable amount of money each month (enough to max out a 401k, if nothing else).  I understand that for some people childcare IS almost an entire post-tax paycheck, but I'm very dubious that that's the case for her, so hearing her phrase it so dramatically just provokes an inner eye roll from me.

Also, her husband just bought an old vintage car to fix up and apparently that's turning out to be a pricey hobby.

Something nice: I will give her kudos for having some frugal habits like checking out books/DVDs from the library, and I guess taking the train instead of driving to the city and paying for parking...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #802 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
Not overheard at work, but seen on my way to work:

Car driving to work with two bikes on a rack on the back.

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING????

Seriously, I'm really wondering what that person was doing driving.

I work at a university so it was either an employee or a student (99% probability).... so why are they driving their bikes to work?? Heh.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: October 03, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »
I try to be sympathetic, but then she:

1.  Books a weeklong vacation to Hawaii
2. Books plane tickets to visit family back east for Thanksgiving weekend
3. Books plane tickets to go to a wedding in November
4. Has a fancy-ass gym membership
5. Regularly gets manicures, professional hair coloring, etc.
6. Buys coffee en route to work several times a week
7. Buys lunch every day
8. Seems to go wine tasting or to lunch with friends every weekend
9. Rents a 3 bedroom townhouse and is talking about upgrading to a 4th bedroom (they are thinking of having a 2nd kid, apparently they must have separate bedrooms for each kid AND a dedicated guest bedroom).
10. Two iphones

I don't think I'd put visiting family or going to a wedding on the same list as many of these things. Hawaii can go, though.

Also, wine tasting can be free or cheap, depending on where you go. Napa/Sonoma are expensive, but California is like all wine country. I could believe it that she's going to the spendier places, though, based on some of the above items.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #804 on: October 03, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING????

I work at a university so it was either an employee or a student (99% probability).... so why are they driving their bikes to work?? Heh.

If giving them the benefit of the doubt, they could be planning to go directly from work to a biking/camping getaway that weekend?  I've done stuff like that before.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #805 on: October 03, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING????

If giving them the benefit of the doubt, they could be planning to go directly from work to a biking/camping getaway that weekend?  I've done stuff like that before.

Still no need to drive to go camping with your bike . . .

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #806 on: October 03, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
Today at work, someone screamed "I'd rather die than not have my Starbucks Double Frappe Mocha Latte with Whip CREAM EVERYDAY!!" and then started balling, because their credit card was maxed out.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #807 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
Today at work, someone screamed "I'd rather die than not have my Starbucks Double Frappe Mocha Latte with Whip CREAM EVERYDAY!!" and then started balling, because their credit card was maxed out.
Was it you, since you work at home? ;-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING????

I work 14 miles from my home.  I'm not in good enough shape to ride that distance home and back.  Plus, it's on a federal facility that has limited access points - none of which have bike-friendly (or even bike-neutral) approaches.  High speed, high traffic volume approaches, ALL chock full of construction visual clutter (which does nothing to reduce the speed).  We're talking 60-70mpg speeds on 45-55 mpg roadways. 

So, I drive my bike onto the facility and park, then I bike the rest of the way.   I bike almost half the distance.

Is it ideal?  Hell no.    Am I better off doing that than driving the whole distance?  Damn straight I am.   

I'm hoping by this time next year that I've built up enough endurance (and the resurrected the ability to get up much earlier)  to be able to bike further.  By then, the road construction should be done and I can evaluate whether any of the routes to the access points are safe enough to bike on.

If not, I'll bike 4 miles to a company parking lot and put my bike on my car, drive 3 miles to enter the federal facility, then park and bike the next 7 miles. 

Lots of people would say that's crazy, but I'm not thinking they are on this website... :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #809 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
Ok. That makes me feel better. I will give them the benefit of the doubt :)

(But it's a really small city!! To drive from your house to anywhere will take less than 15 min! And it is very very flat! And it was a clear day! Haha ok I'll stop.)

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #810 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
I work with a woman who loves to over-share all of her financial information. It just boggles my mind a bit. She graduated 2 years ago with 80k in loans with an undergraduate degree. She is making good money now though. This isn't really the fault of her I believe but our screwed up educational system that costs so much.

What I don't understand is that she has hundreds of dollars in credit card bills that she has carried over month to month. Her husband goes out and buys all this new tech stuff (big screen TV, sound bar for nice sound, iPad, etc). They are going for a 3 day trip to Nashville for fun next week (I'm on the west coast).

She drives to work where it costs $12 a day to park when the bus could just as easily get her here for $4 round trip.

She goes to out all the time for dinner. "We went to this great expensive sushi restaurant." etc

At this rate she will never dig herself out of what she owes. It makes me rather sad actually. I want to shake her and explain to her the ways of a mustachian lifestyle but I don't think she'd "get it".

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #811 on: October 03, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
I work with a woman who loves to over-share all of her financial information. It just boggles my mind a bit. She graduated 2 years ago with 80k in loans with an undergraduate degree. She is making good money now though. This isn't really the fault of her I believe but our screwed up educational system that costs so much.

LOL, I know a number of mustachians (self included at times) who might be accused of financial overshare... but in our/my case it's just out of giddiness at the prospect of ER and seeing how easily some could change their ways and reap huge rewards.

Kitstache

« Reply #812 on: October 03, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
This is my first post. I love this blog and had to share what a co-worker told me. She just got her water bill (billed every other month) and it is  $900!   I was shocked and she quickly said she doesn't have a leak or anything, and that it is normally $600 every billing, but is $900 this time because it is summer and they have a pool.  She said their bill is always this high because she lives in a community on top of a tall hill, and they have to pay extra pumping charges.  I live maybe 5 miles from the bottom of that hill, and my water bill was $102 for two months at my last bill - no pool and we have low water/drought resistant landscaping.  We both live in the county/suburbs of San Diego.  I was so sad for her, because I knew they live check to check and were trying to payoff credit cards that were run up when both she and husband were unemployed for a while.  I told her she should think about selling the house and moving down the hill.  She said they really like it up there though.... 

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #813 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
what in the world!!!!!!!!! that is a crazy ass water bill!! how do you even use that much water

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
This is my first post. I love this blog and had to share what a co-worker told me. She just got her water bill (billed every other month) and it is  $900!   I was shocked and she quickly said she doesn't have a leak or anything, and that it is normally $600 every billing, but is $900 this time because it is summer and they have a pool.  She said their bill is always this high because she lives in a community on top of a tall hill, and they have to pay extra pumping charges.  I live maybe 5 miles from the bottom of that hill, and my water bill was $102 for two months at my last bill - no pool and we have low water/drought resistant landscaping.  We both live in the county/suburbs of San Diego.  I was so sad for her, because I knew they live check to check and were trying to payoff credit cards that were run up when both she and husband were unemployed for a while.  I told her she should think about selling the house and moving down the hill.  She said they really like it up there though....

Holy F, 900?!  Even 600! yikes.  What state/city do you live in? Even 100 for two months seems high.  I have nothing to compare my bills too.  I've lived in ND and MN and if my bill is over 90 I'm shocked....and that's a quarterly statement, and includes recycling.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: October 03, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »
what in the world!!!!!!!!! that is a crazy ass water bill!! how do you even use that much water

+1.  I about had a heart attack last summer when I came home from a week on the road to a $500 water bill (leak in the sprinkler system, as it turned out).  I can't imagine what a $900 water bill would be.  Where would you put all that water?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #816 on: October 03, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »

+1.  I about had a heart attack last summer when I came home from a week on the road to a $500 water bill (leak in the sprinkler system, as it turned out).  I can't imagine what a $900 water bill would be.  Where would you put all that water?

In the pool.  Plus it's the pumping charges.  I'm not saying it's no absurd, but it is at least explainable

Kitstache

« Reply #817 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »
[quHoly F, 900?!  Even 600! yikes.  What state/city do you live in? Even 100 for two months seems high.  I have nothing to compare my bills too.  I've lived in ND and MN and if my bill is over 90 I'm shocked....and that's a quarterly statement, and includes recycling.
[/quote]

I am in San Diego County.  I think the $100 I pay every other month is about the norm or on the lower side since I have drought resistant landscape.  San Diego gets little rain, and we get our water mainly from the Colorado River.  $90 per quarter you pay would be unheard of here.  I can't imagine paying $600 or $900 every other month. Can't imagine her paying that in retirement. 

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #818 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
San Diego gets little rain, and we get our water mainly from the Colorado River.  $90 per quarter you pay would be unheard of here. 

Central PA, local watershed for water, My last 6 quarterly bills have all been $26~$36 each.  My electric bill on the otherhand.. That hopefully will be much more in control then in the past.  I had an energy audit done, the attic sealed up (Had TONS of areas where most of my heat was just seeping up into the attic space) and I used to have an occasional $400~$600 monthly electric bill in the winter.  (All electric baseboard, water-heater, appliances). 

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: October 03, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »
Another ongoing complaint is with childcare.  She is now on her second nanny (fired the first one), and this one is not working out either.  They are looking for a new nanny, and apparently is having a hard time finding one who will take less than $700/week.  Apparently they "just absolutely cannot afford that, what is the point of me working???".

Me to your coworker: "Uh, that's where you do the math, fool, and realize that EITHER you enjoy working enough and/or want your career to continue on track enough that it's worth it to you not to make much/any money off it now, OR you stay home with your kid. Or, third option, look into less expensive childcare, such as a Montessori school or other preschool. The fact you can't afford a nanny is not the problem of San Francisco's nannies, it's YOUR problem. You don't get to impose it on them by paying them dirt-poor wages."

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: October 03, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
Another ongoing complaint is with childcare.  She is now on her second nanny (fired the first one), and this one is not working out either.  They are looking for a new nanny, and apparently is having a hard time finding one who will take less than $700/week.  Apparently they "just absolutely cannot afford that, what is the point of me working???".

Me to your coworker: "Uh, that's where you do the math, fool, and realize that EITHER you enjoy working enough and/or want your career to continue on track enough that it's worth it to you not to make much/any money off it now, OR you stay home with your kid. Or, third option, look into less expensive childcare, such as a Montessori school or other preschool. The fact you can't afford a nanny is not the problem of San Francisco's nannies, it's YOUR problem. You don't get to impose it on them by paying them dirt-poor wages."

She is actually planning on putting the kid into a daycare/preschool, she's just resistant to doing it before she's crawling.  Given that the baby is now 6 months old, this day cannot be that far off, which is why I find the whole objection to paying a decent wage especially objectionable.  It's *clearly* a short-term/temporary problem.  If you think having one-on-one care for the first year of life is so important, it seems making a few cuts elsewhere to afford it should be a more manageable prospect, because you know they only "have" to be temporary! Obviously one hopes a few of them will stick longer-term, but...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #821 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
I work for the water department in one city and live in another town about 20 miles away...my water bill is 3x the amount it would be if I lived in the city I worked for. I pay about $75 per month for pretty low water usage and it would only be about $20-25/month where I work. That said I see water bills for hundreds of dollars for residential addresses that just make me cringe. I hope they at least have very nice yards for the water they're wasting

I paid ~$70/month last month for about 4 CCFs of water/sewer usage in Atlanta. This is low compared to the average, which is 8 CCFs! And this cost per CCF doesn't scale linearly; they get more expensive the more you use.

Why is water in Atlanta so freaking expensive? Because the city neglected the water system for years (and a former mayor outsourced the maintenance to his cronies who didn't do anything), so the city was forced by the Federal courts to spend $4 BILLION dollars in 10 years fixing it. The rates increased something like 12-15% PER YEAR for several years just to make the bond payments.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #822 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

She is actually planning on putting the kid into a daycare/preschool, she's just resistant to doing it before she's crawling.  Given that the baby is now 6 months old, this day cannot be that far off, which is why I find the whole objection to paying a decent wage especially objectionable.  It's *clearly* a short-term/temporary problem.  If you think having one-on-one care for the first year of life is so important, it seems making a few cuts elsewhere to afford it should be a more manageable prospect, because you know they only "have" to be temporary! Obviously one hopes a few of them will stick longer-term, but...

I constantly have to remind myself because I have not lived that way in so long that I don't really remember what it is like: many/most people in the US live hand-to-mouth.  Your coworker likely has failed to accumulate much in wealth and likely spends every penny she makes.  Hard to make adjustments that cost you extra short term if you have no breathing room.  Foolish to put yourself in that situation, but it is a popular choice.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #823 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Asked a 55yr old co-worker why doesn't he retire as he can collect gov't pension (was in the army before working at our company).  He said he "could" but he was working a few more years as he didn't want to settle for just a Mustang he wanted as a retirement gift... instead he's aiming for a nice Mercedes instead.  I lol'd inside.  I guess it would be ok but he complains to me all the time about work, lol.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #824 on: October 04, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
I've heard this more than once actually.

When selecting health care policies they will opt for the one with no deductible because "I don't know what I would do if I had to pay $500 at once".  $500!  And they don't make minimum wage. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #825 on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
I have a wealthy office mate I've mentioned here once before (the same who wears a jewellery worth 20k). I actually like the lady, great co-worker for all kinds of reasons but things she spend money on are mind boggling. 300$ jeans, 3,000$ long weekend ski trips, luxury car (only occasionally driven to work, though), 30,000 euros for marble kitchen countertops etc.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: October 04, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
I've heard this more than once actually.

When selecting health care policies they will opt for the one with no deductible because "I don't know what I would do if I had to pay $500 at once".  $500!  And they don't make minimum wage.

Kathleen Sebelius said something similar about why we can't have deductibles higher than $3000.  She said that most people can't afford a $6,000 deductible, so insurance companies shouldn't be able to sell those plans.  Obviously $500 != $3000, but it's a similar idea.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
"When you buy a nice shirt that costs a little more, they last longer. This one was $200 and it should last me 3 years!"

Spoken by a visiting insurance agent, mind you. So if anyone knows how to use up a $200 shirt in 3 years at a desk job, please let me know. I was too shocked to ask.

jefffff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #828 on: October 04, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
My company provides healthcare that has a $10,000 deductable, which they then pay if you use any of it. This saves them money as most people won't use most of it, and obviously is the same for us.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #829 on: October 04, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
"When you buy a nice shirt that costs a little more, they last longer. This one was $200 and it should last me 3 years!"

Spoken by a visiting insurance agent, mind you. So if anyone knows how to use up a $200 shirt in 3 years at a desk job, please let me know. I was too shocked to ask.
The T-shirt I'm wearing right now (at work) is at least four years old.  I think it was $12.  Maybe $15.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #830 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

The T-shirt I'm wearing right now (at work) is at least four years old.  I think it was $12.  Maybe $15.

I'd be willing to be a lot of money that you don't have a job which requires selling something to customers. For a lawyer, insurance agent, investment banker etc. expensive shirts (maybe not quite 200$) make sense. It could even be mustachian.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #831 on: October 04, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
Nope, thrift shops sell wonderful dress shirts, most in never-worn condition. It is certainly not mustachian to buy a new one when there's a much cheaper equally-good alternative available.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #832 on: October 04, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
^This.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
"I just don't know how we're going to pay that, my husband isn't working"

From a 55yr old assistant said with 20+ nutritional supplements and a ton of makeup sitting on her desk

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: October 04, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
Nope, thrift shops sell wonderful dress shirts, most in never-worn condition. It is certainly not mustachian to buy a new one when there's a much cheaper equally-good alternative available.
I agree! All my good work clothes or going out clothes are second hand.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #835 on: October 04, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »

I'd be willing to be a lot of money that you don't have a job which requires selling something to customers. For a lawyer, insurance agent, investment banker etc. expensive shirts (maybe not quite 200$) make sense. It could even be mustachian.

This.  My casual Friday T-shirt was $12-15 four years ago new.  My nice dress shirt I wore yesterday to work was anywhere between $2-5 sometime in the past year.  I sometimes get compliments from co-workers on my "new" thrift store clothes.  I've discovered the secret to finding great thrift store clothes is to bring my girlfriend with me and have her pick it out for me.  Otherwise I'll probably end up looking like a clown.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #836 on: October 04, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
My company provides healthcare that has a $10,000 deductable, which they then pay if you use any of it. This saves them money as most people won't use most of it, and obviously is the same for us.

Wow, this is surprisingly smart.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #837 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »
My friend just bought a dress shirt from a thrift shop! $15 tommy hilfiger. Looked great!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: October 04, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »

I experimented a bit with "nicer"/more expensive jeans last year with gift money from my grandmother (I was specifically asked to get myself something nice, and she and I both like when I use her gifts to dress myself). Well, the Express jeans wore out in like 8 months. My usual $15-30 pairs from TJMaxx or JCPenney last me at LEAST a year.

And I wonder if he meant that after 3 years it just doesn't look as nice anymore. Gets grungy from oils/sweat/etc.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #839 on: October 05, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »

This.  My casual Friday T-shirt was $12-15 four years ago new.  My nice dress shirt I wore yesterday to work was anywhere between $2-5 sometime in the past year.  I sometimes get compliments from co-workers on my "new" thrift store clothes.  I've discovered the secret to finding great thrift store clothes is to bring my girlfriend with me and have her pick it out for me.  Otherwise I'll probably end up looking like a clown.
You're not the only one!  I often bring a girlfriend or my husband with me to help me pick out clothes, and every time they will select something for me that I end up loving and wearing often!

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #840 on: October 05, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

If I'm spending 200 bucks on a single shirt, that thing better outlast my grandkids. You can press and tailor a $15 Target shirt and make it look presentable. The only rationalization for wearing a $200 shirt is the person that sells $200 shirts.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #841 on: October 05, 2013, 08:14:14 AM »
"You're right, shopping won't fix the problem...but it will put me in a better mood for when I finally have to deal with it."

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: October 05, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »

I constantly have to remind myself because I have not lived that way in so long that I don't really remember what it is like: many/most people in the US live hand-to-mouth.  Your coworker likely has failed to accumulate much in wealth and likely spends every penny she makes.  Hard to make adjustments that cost you extra short term if you have no breathing room.  Foolish to put yourself in that situation, but it is a popular choice.

Yes, it strikes me that they were probably "fine" financially pre-baby, but have completely failed to adapt their lifestyle to the new expenses.  I do try to be sympathetic, but when someone who's household income almost definitely exceeds $200k and who had at LEAST nine months ahead of time to figure out a solution to the childcare issue is complaining about nannies having the outrageous nerve to ask for what is, in this area, probably barely even a living wage...my sympathetic capacity is strained.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: October 05, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »

Got you beat on that.  I'm still working my way through a drawer of freebie t-shirts acquired at trade shows, most before the dot-com bust.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #844 on: October 06, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »
I work at a very large company that recently said that we're going to be laying off 20% of our workforce through 2015.

Not too happy about this, but really, I'm a grunt and it's out of my control.

Once I heard this, I wanted to remind myself what our separations package looked like.

Found it on the HR website, and they had a great PDF which outlined what was involved (health coverage, how many weeks of pay you get, and it even had a link to our pension website - yes we still have a pension).

I thought this was really useful information, so I sent it around to my team with an FYI in the subject line.

A few people thanked me, but most people were upset.  They'd rather have their heads buried in the sand (even though ostriches don't do this at all).  They told me it was a depressing email and they wish they'd never gotten it.

I was shocked.  My wife and I sat down to figure out how long this money would last us (possibly as close to a year if we really cut back).  Others just don't want to know.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: October 06, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »
I work at a very large company that recently said that we're going to be laying off 20% of our workforce through 2015.

I think I know which one and if I'm right I know several former study mates who are working there. I'm lucky not to be among them, used to be a very desirable place for employment... 

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #846 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

A few people thanked me, but most people were upset.  They'd rather have their heads buried in the sand (even though ostriches don't do this at all).  They told me it was a depressing email and they wish they'd never gotten it.

I worked for Supervalu earlier this year, up until right before the big layoff up here in MN. I remember the meeting where the interim CEO was spinning some bullshit about "we are working on the details with Cerebus and will let you know as we get more information. In the meantime, just keep doing your work." Yea screw you pal,  I was texting my wife to ask her to update my resume during the meeting. By the next week I had interviews lined up while my co-workers were saying "Oh I'm just going to wait and see." 6 weeks later they closed my department, and I was already in another gig. It was nice to not have to compete with everyone else for a job :).

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #847 on: October 07, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Not really overheard at work but after work. hope that counts.
It was around 75 degrees with a little of sun and I was biking home from work. I heard a woman who was probably walking with her son from soccer practice yell out. "hurry up, let's get to the car with the AC."

~mindblown.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #848 on: October 07, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »

I worked for Supervalu earlier this year, up until right before the big layoff up here in MN. I remember the meeting where the interim CEO was spinning some bullshit about "we are working on the details with Cerebus and will let you know as we get more information. In the meantime, just keep doing your work." Yea screw you pal,  I was texting my wife to ask her to update my resume during the meeting. By the next week I had interviews lined up while my co-workers were saying "Oh I'm just going to wait and see." 6 weeks later they closed my department, and I was already in another gig. It was nice to not have to compete with everyone else for a job :).

Yikes. I don't feel that kind of urgency because the area I support is manufacturing, so I feel much more comfortable.  I'm definitely going to be more pro-active than other co-workers though.  Whether I get laid off or not is out of my control.  How I prepare for the possibility and how I react to it are definitely in my space!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #849 on: October 07, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
So my office is up the street from a shopping mall, and one of my female co-workers apparently bought 10 (TEN!) pairs of shoes over her lunch break. She's been showing them off to the rest of the office (at least the women) for the last half-hour or so. Not only are they excessive, they're also relatively useless because they're apparently intended to go with specific outfits (they have wild colorful patterns and whatnot). I told her "you have a problem."

She thinks it's okay because they were on clearance for $15/pair.

By the way: I've only been working here for two weeks, and this is already at least the third time she's bought new shoes (I think it's the first day she bought so many at once, though).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:02:27 PM by Jack »