Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252600 times)

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7750 on: April 17, 2015, 02:20:57 AM »
it could maybe be an opportunity cost. but nothing more.

But that's the key.

If you have $10 that you've earned, and a mortgage, you could put that $10 towards the mortgage, saving you the 4% interest on it.

Or you could go to the movies.  By going to the movies, you're choosing to pay 4% on the $10.  Thus, in essence, your mortgage is financing that movie expenditure.

It may or may not be 100% accurate, but it's one valid way of looking at it.

i dont agree on how you are using opportunity cost

you either pay 10 on your mortgage or you pay 10 to go to the movies. if you pay 10 on the mortgage now,  it means no movie. if you pay for the movie now,   it means that later you have to pay 10 plus 4% for the mortgage.  you changed the timeline

I  argue that if you saw a movie later, it probably will increase in price, as well

i think we can both agree that the rate or inflation for the movie isnt the same as the APR for the mortgage but the 4% represents the opportunity to buy a house now. you didnt have the cash,  and you didnt want to wait and save up.

Why would the price go up? Sure, DVDs usually cost more than the price of a movie ticket but its an apples to oranges comparison. Yes, they are both fruit (or getting to view the movie) but buying it means that you get to watch it as many times as you want (barring wear and tear on discs) for the same price, unlike cinemas where you have to pay over and over.

A better comparison would be renting it. If you get it from a library or equivalent (my prefered method) it can be virtually free to completely free. For renting from a video store, the price should still be cheaper if you keep an eye on specials and borrow once its out of the new releases.

TL;DR The cost per viewing should go down, not up.

I don't watch many movies more than once, so if it isn't good enough to watch in the theaters I would most likely get it from the library (free), rent it at the library (50 cents a day), rent it from Redbox (1.25/day) or borrow it from a friend (free), which is way cheapter than paying $10. Of course another option is going to a second-run theater, which would be around $3.

I haven't paid for a movie ticket in a long time, but I just found out they are now $15 in some areas!  I thought that was absolutely crazy!  My company used to give everyone 4 passes before each summer (doesn't anymore), but when they stopped giving out passes I stopped going. 

We watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime (no cable only Internet).  Sometimes will splurge on a movie from Amazon (~$4.99) if Redbox doesn't have it, but we limit those since we think Amazon Prime is already expensive enough.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #7751 on: April 17, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
Overheard at work: $30,000 watch. My brain hurts :-( yes this persons household income is considerably higher than mine, but it would still be like me buying a 6k watch... wtf? My 12 year old $150 watch is still going strong... it felt like such a luxury at the time! I also tryed to convince people that luxury goods were for the ultra rich not cubicle jockeys like us. That we aren't  even the target market... the target market is the ultra rich, ceos, pop stars etc... don't  think anyone else agreed with me. But i have never seen myself as being in that realm :-S

Is it an Apple watch made of unobtainium and powered by uranium?

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #7752 on: April 17, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »

Overheard at work: $30,000 watch. My brain hurts :-( yes this persons household income is considerably higher than mine, but it would still be like me buying a 6k watch... wtf? My 12 year old $150 watch is still going strong... it felt like such a luxury at the time! I also tryed to convince people that luxury goods were for the ultra rich not cubicle jockeys like us. That we aren't  even the target market... the target market is the ultra rich, ceos, pop stars etc... don't  think anyone else agreed with me. But i have never seen myself as being in that realm :-S

If only the ultra rich purchased these things the companies would go under. The Millionaire Next Door touched on this and noted the people that chase these possessions as the "aspirational rich" who never actually get there cause they spend so much on trying to appear like they are there already. But I agree holy fucking shit that is insane for a watch!!!!

When questioned about this sort of thing most people respond with "But I deserve it." Whatever it is. It doesn't matter. They deserve it. "Rich people aren't better than me. I deserve to own one too." I don't know where this idea of "deserving" going into debt to buy a status symbol came from. Must be some really good marketing ads my brain didn't interpret correctly.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7753 on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »

If only the ultra rich purchased these things the companies would go under. The Millionaire Next Door touched on this and noted the people that chase these possessions as the "aspirational rich" who never actually get there cause they spend so much on trying to appear like they are there already. But I agree holy fucking shit that is insane for a watch!!!!

When questioned about this sort of thing most people respond with "But I deserve it." Whatever it is. It doesn't matter. They deserve it. "Rich people aren't better than me. I deserve to own one too." I don't know where this idea of "deserving" going into debt to buy a status symbol came from. Must be some really good marketing ads my brain didn't interpret correctly.

One of the three times I was ever close to breaking up SWMBO was early in our relationship when she got an iPhone. She said that she had a shitty phone for so long, she deserved a nice one. I never understood that, and the sense of entitlement really upset me. Because you had something that wasn't that great, but didn't even exist 15 years prior, you deserve to pay more month over month for eternity to have a better version of that thing that we all got along fine without for so long?

I don't think she ever knew how much that bothered me, since I don't think I actually said anything about it (we hadn't been dating long enough for me to get involved in her finances). I watched her spending habits closely for the next few months (and years) and realized that she likes some nice things, but isn't spendthrift and in general doesn't have any entitlement issues, so I got over it.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7754 on: April 17, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »

"But I deserve it." describes several relatives of mine to a T.  Never mind they're in working-class to lower-middle-class jobs.  Spending more than a few hours at an event with them makes my brain want to explode.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7755 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #7756 on: April 17, 2015, 11:41:44 AM »

You have a $150 watch? Even that's out of my league.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7757 on: April 17, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »
2010 :Overhearing one of the boys at work saying that they have a hard time living on such small wages in such an expensive province (Alberta). He couldn't make his child support payment this month because of a drunk driving charge he received awhile back and how is current GF totalled his car and was charged with no insurance and no drivers licence... A few weeks later his GF bought him $2000 bucks in coke to help him relax for his birthday.

2011: Another guy, who while not too horrible with his money (only has a 60K loan on an used Audi, living with mom & dad, no savings), also needed to somehow save up 10k to pay for his lawyer to fight his DUI charge. He really needs to drive; how else will you go out and spend 2k a night partying if you can't drive there?

Both were fired for being idiots at later dates .....

Yeah, I'm suprised the first wasn't fired sooner. We don't really care what our employees do during their free hours, but if they are talking about buying coke while at work, most places would fire them on the spot.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7758 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
2010 :Overhearing one of the boys at work saying that they have a hard time living on such small wages in such an expensive province (Alberta). He couldn't make his child support payment this month because of a drunk driving charge he received awhile back and how is current GF totalled his car and was charged with no insurance and no drivers licence... A few weeks later his GF bought him $2000 bucks in coke to help him relax for his birthday.

2011: Another guy, who while not too horrible with his money (only has a 60K loan on an used Audi, living with mom & dad, no savings), also needed to somehow save up 10k to pay for his lawyer to fight his DUI charge. He really needs to drive; how else will you go out and spend 2k a night partying if you can't drive there?

Both were fired for being idiots at later dates .....

Yeah, I'm suprised the first wasn't fired sooner. We don't really care what our employees do during their free hours, but if they are talking about buying coke while at work, most places would fire them on the spot.

Ah, a newcomer making his way through the thread. Good luck!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7759 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »

Lol, I owed a decent watch but I would never remember to wear it so I ended up just selling it to a friend that liked it. Even on the occasions I did wear it, I would usually use my phone to check the time anyways.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7760 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »

Is it an Apple watch made of unobtainium and powered by uranium?
Naha,
powered by Unbrainium.

FWIW, some watches could be considered collector's items, and may appreciate in value in certain markets, although we all know that ultimately things are worth what others will pay for them. It's the same premise by which some paintings or sculptures are worth millions - it just takes an intimate knowledge of the market to identify what is considered "valuable".

I agree that $30k for a watch is Caligulan excess. This reminds me of a story that kinda fits here. Having read all 161 pages of this thread, I feel like it's time to contribute :-) My first contribution to this thread will be an "Overheard a few years ago in college" one, as my coworkers are surprisingly reasonable:

Imagine my surprise when I learned that one of my hallmates in my college dorm had 2 ~$35k Rolexes in his room - I was dumbstruck! But wait, it gets better:

...AND a ~$9k Tag Heuer watch that he never wore.

AND 3 Ferrari's.

AND a 7-series BMW.

AND a ~$100k Mercedes.

AND a Ford Expedition.

AND a BMW X5.

AND a house so big that a mutual friend of ours literally got lost and wound up in a DIFFERENT WING by mistake, in a high-COL area.

I could go on for days. The level of ridiculous consumption was/continues to be baffling. I know nothing about whether or not they could "afford" all of this, but that isn't really the point...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7761 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »

Lol, I owed a decent watch but I would never remember to wear it so I ended up just selling it to a friend that liked it. Even on the occasions I did wear it, I would usually use my phone to check the time anyways.

I sold a watch my grandfather gave me (that he was going to throw out) for $800. I don't wear watches unless I'm going to be camping for an extended time... last time I did that I was in grade school.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7762 on: April 17, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
I sold a watch my grandfather gave me

Did it come to you via Chris Walken?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7763 on: April 17, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Specifically the rectum thereof?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7764 on: April 17, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »

Specifically the rectum thereof?

LOL, you guys.

I have two watches--a cheapo black Casio I wear on weekends and a Citizen Eco-Drive I wear to work and when being dressy.  The Citizen retailed at the time for $350, but I bought it off eBay for $80.  It's a spiffy little watch.  Unlike Pooperman I feel naked without wearing a watch; with few exceptions I've worn a watch every day since the fourth grade.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7765 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
I sold a watch my grandfather gave me (that he was going to throw out) for $800. I don't wear watches unless I'm going to be camping for an extended time... last time I did that I was in grade school.

Why wear a watch camping? That's one of the few times I don't care what time it is. Setup camp 45 minutes before sundown or 3 fingers from the horizon.

I like Fossil watches, a good style can be classy or casual. Take your old one in and you can usually get 50% off your new one. Not that I trade in very often, got my first in 11th grade, second 5 years ago, and third 2 years ago... hmm, quality may be going down.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:42:49 PM by zdravé »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7766 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »

Why wear a watch camping? That's one of the few times I don't care what time it is. Setup camp 45 minutes before sundown or 3 fingers from the horizon.

Because you might be going somewhere while camping and not have access to electronics outside of your watch. Also helps with orienteering should you be doing something like that (a compass is better, but a watch is a substitute if you can math).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7767 on: April 17, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »

HAHAHA, thanks for reminding me of that skit.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7768 on: April 17, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »

Because you might be going somewhere while camping and not have access to electronics outside of your watch. Also helps with orienteering should you be doing something like that (a compass is better, but a watch is a substitute if you can math).

How do you do that?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7769 on: April 17, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

How do you do that?

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Direction-Using-a-Watch

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7770 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »

Very true. I was just hoping it wasn't and for importance knowing the time on vacation.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:21:24 PM by zdravé »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7771 on: April 17, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »

How do you do that?

What if my watch is digital?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7772 on: April 17, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »

How do you do that?

What if my watch is digital?

You can still use it to estimate how far you've gone,if you've boiled your water long enough, etc.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7773 on: April 17, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
"We owe $1500 on taxes, so now we're broke!"

Months after buying a brand new (2015?) Honda Accord to replace the previously-new 2014 Tacoma that was totalled about 2 months after they bought it...

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7774 on: April 18, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »
JLee:  That is good.  It must be tax time because mine is very similar. 

CW:  "We owe $1800 in taxes, and there is no way we can pay that!"   (Recently bought a new Buick.)
Me:  "Well first and foremost you need to make sure you have another $150 taken from your paycheck each month so it doesn't happen again."
CW: "OMG!  I can't afford this, there is no way I can afford that!  I'm already in the red.  I can't have smaller paychecks!"
Me:  "Well if you don't then you are just going to owe a bunch of money again next year."

10 minutes later...
CW:  "I just bought tickets to go to a concert in [city 8 hours away].  However I'm not really sure how I'm going to afford the hotel room."

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7775 on: April 18, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »

CW:  "We owe $1800 in taxes, and there is no way we can pay that!"   (Recently bought a new Buick.)
Me:  "Well first and foremost you need to make sure you have another $150 taken from your paycheck each month so it doesn't happen again."
CW: "OMG!  I can't afford this, there is no way I can afford that!  I'm already in the red.  I can't have smaller paychecks!"
Me:  "Well if you don't then you are just going to owe a bunch of money again next year."

10 minutes later...
CW:  "I just bought tickets to go to a concert in [city 8 hours away].  However I'm not really sure how I'm going to afford the hotel room."

Boggles the mind...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7776 on: April 18, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »

10 minutes later...

Wow.  Just wow.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7777 on: April 18, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »

10 minutes later...

Wow.  Just wow.
I really try and be sympathetic but it's just so damn hard with crap like this.

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #7778 on: April 19, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »
Another gem from the office - coworker leased large Nissan SUV. She ended up buying it because she had but 70,000 miles on it in three years (to avoid mileage penalty I suppose). Then, she sold it at 74,000, to buy a new Chevy Equinox SUV. It has to be a large vehicle to hold her dog crate for her dog. :/ She has mentioned she will need to keep working beyond her retirement age (she is currently 60)  in order to keep making payments. 

NateC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7779 on: April 19, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
Co-worker is thinking about trading in his 2011 half-ton truck for a brand new model costing $41,000 before the trade-in of the 2011 for $17,000. At the end of the cost breakdown, he states "Out the door, it will only cost me $24,000 for a brand new truck that will be paid off in 4 years."

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7780 on: April 19, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Co-worker is thinking about trading in his 2011 half-ton truck for a brand new model costing $41,000 before the trade-in of the 2011 for $17,000. At the end of the cost breakdown, he states "Out the door, it will only cost me $24,000 for a brand new truck that will be paid off in 4 years."

Yes, $24,000 more than keeping the existing truck. Assuming he's making a habit out of trading in his trucks when they reach four years old then he's looking at about $6,000 per year in depreciation alone (also assumes his previous truck cost a similar amount when new)...

NateC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7781 on: April 19, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
Another guy at work traded in his 3 year old F-150 for a brand new $35,000 hybrid about 2 years ago. He is in the process of trading in the hybrid for another F-150 because he is "renovating" his house. I'm pretty sure he's doing trim, paint, and maybe some laminate flooring.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #7782 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »
Another guy at work traded in his 3 year old F-150 for a brand new $35,000 hybrid about 2 years ago. He is in the process of trading in the hybrid for another F-150 because he is "renovating" his house. I'm pretty sure he's doing trim, paint, and maybe some laminate flooring.

Yikes. I guess he never saw the truck out front of every big box Home store that says "Rent me for $35 for the first hour!"...

Most people plan renos like crap though and end up back at the store all the time. Even then, get a roof rack!

NateC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7783 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »

Yikes. I guess he never saw the truck out front of every big box Home store that says "Rent me for $35 for the first hour!"...

Most people plan renos like crap though and end up back at the store all the time. Even then, get a roof rack!

I brought up renting a truck, and he said it was too much of a hassel....

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7784 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
I sort of love people like that, that's who we play to buy a gently used truck from when DH's current vehicle dies!

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #7785 on: April 19, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
I brought up renting a truck, and he said it was too much of a hassle....

Haha. Sounds like my buddy who doesn't get why I own a 2WD pickup truck (that I actually use as a truck). He won't own a truck unless it's 4WD and he's usually just driving around town even though it's lifted on 35" tires.

When asked what I'd do if I get stuck: "Call you. I've always got a $200 in my wallet and the beer in my fridge is cold. If that fails, call for a wrecker service. $200 IF I get stuck is way cheaper than the price premium on 4WD trucks."

People don't understand opportunity cost...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7786 on: April 19, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »

I live close to an area famous for producing luxury watches. When I happen to be on the main shopping street downtown with some time to spear I like to look at those fancy watches in shop windows. I haven't seen one for 30,000 yet (some firms don't advertise prices), but 10-15k is quite ordinary. Salespersons are so bored though, because most of the time they are alone in those shops...

As for myself I also have 100-150$ watch which was a gift from my father long ago, but it's mostly gathering dust now. Cell phone which I always have with me is sufficient for my time keeping needs.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7787 on: April 20, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »

Haha. Sounds like my buddy who doesn't get why I own a 2WD pickup truck (that I actually use as a truck). He won't own a truck unless it's 4WD and he's usually just driving around town even though it's lifted on 35" tires.

When asked what I'd do if I get stuck: "Call you. I've always got a $200 in my wallet and the beer in my fridge is cold. If that fails, call for a wrecker service. $200 IF I get stuck is way cheaper than the price premium on 4WD trucks."

If you just haul stuff around in a dry climate, I could see a 2wd truck. I grew up in NH and I go offroad in the desert out in AZ, so personally I wouldn't own a 2wd truck. Not multi-purpose enough for my intended purpose.

But...I don't drive a pavement queen on 35's. :P

I did manage to stuff a (free!) 42u four post server rack in the back of my SUV yesterday. It hung out the back and I had to lock the gate open for the ~2mi drive home, but it fit!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7788 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »

If you just haul stuff around in a dry climate, I could see a 2wd truck. I grew up in NH and I go offroad in the desert out in AZ, so personally I wouldn't own a 2wd truck. Not multi-purpose enough for my intended purpose.

But...I don't drive a pavement queen on 35's. :P

I did manage to stuff a (free!) 42u four post server rack in the back of my SUV yesterday. It hung out the back and I had to lock the gate open for the ~2mi drive home, but it fit!
I'm kind of on the fence on the whole 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel thing. some times I think if I ever have to replace current truck I could go with a 2 wheel drive (less moving parts and cheaper purchase price). However I do use it enough that I feel it is a nice feature to have. sometime just knowing I have the option to use four wheel drive allows me to go places I might not in a two wheel drive. For example when cutting firewood I might pull down into a low spot that may or may not be wet. Chances are 2wd will get me out but in my experience things can go from everything going alright to stuck in a few seconds.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #7789 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
I talked to my coworkers about my grand plans for FIRE on Friday.

Not well received. First it was shock and ridicule, and then it quickly moved to angry outbursts from a couple of them. I kept cool and explained my plan, even broke down my current budget and how I expect to cover healthcare and a kid in the future.

After waaaay too long not doing work, I actually had tacit support from a couple and outright support from a couple more. Not bad. Today the guy in the cube next to me told me he was going through his credit card statements over the weekend to figure out where all of his money was going. I made him think! :D

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #7790 on: April 20, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
I'm kind of on the fence on the whole 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel thing.

I'm not against 4WD trucks if necessary, but we live in the suburbs of Chicago. The only way I'm getting off-road is if I start driving through someone's lawn...

This one goes back a long ways to high school, but fits here. Overheard from a cheerleader: "OMG, I'm so glad I drove my Dad's Cherokee today. It stops sooo much better with 4WD!"

Just... fuck you're stupid.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:30:04 PM by bzzzt »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7791 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
I'm kind of on the fence on the whole 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel thing.

I'm not against 4WD trucks if necessary, but we live in the suburbs of Chicago. The only way I'm getting off-road is if I start driving through someone's lawn...

This one goes back a long ways to high school, but fits here. Overheard from a cheerleader: "OMG, I'm so glad I drove my Dad's Cherokee today. It stops sooo much better with 4WD!"

Just... fuck you're stupid.

Haha. Reminds me of the time one of our friends was complaining about her car riding rough in high school, so we asked her how long it had been since she changed the air in her tires. We actually convinced her to take it to a tire shop and request that they change the air, which they (for some reason?) actually did. She was convinced that it was riding much smoother afterwards.

deirdre08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7792 on: April 21, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
One of my coworkers was talking about what they're going to do with the check they're receiving from a court settlement, I suggested they use it to pay off their student loans (the check is large enough to cover the whole debt and have some leftover). They scoffed at the idea, said their payment is only $50 a month so they'd rather just save the money, which is all well and good if that's actually what they're going to do with it. This week I heard them on the phone planning a vacation to aruba. I know it shouldn't matter to me, because it's their money, their debt, their problem, but if I received a lump sum like that that covered literally all of my debt I would be jumping with joy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7793 on: April 21, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »
Haha. Reminds me of the time one of our friends was complaining about her car riding rough in high school, so we asked her how long it had been since she changed the air in her tires. We actually convinced her to take it to a tire shop and request that they change the air, which they (for some reason?) actually did. She was convinced that it was riding much smoother afterwards.
Maybe the pressure was off and they corrected it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7794 on: April 21, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Did you confirm all the air was actually exchanged and they didn't just charge her to top it off? Or do nothing?  I can only imagine the dollar signs that lit up in the technicians eyes when he saw some high school girl come in and request that.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7795 on: April 21, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »

Did you confirm all the air was actually exchanged and they didn't just charge her to top it off? Or do nothing?  I can only imagine the dollar signs that lit up in the technicians eyes when he saw some high school girl come in and request that.

I didn't confirm anything. It wouldn't surprise me if they checked/corrected the air pressure in her tires, but since I'm not as big of an a-hole today as I was in high school, I do hope that they didn't rip her off too badly.

Off-topic - 1995 was the year newsprint comics died. There will never be another Gary Larson or Bill Watterson.

edited to remove dumbassery
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:42:40 PM by Mississippi Mudstache »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7796 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »

Maybe the just took the car, went on a smoke break, and then came back and told her that they did something. It was all a placebo effect.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #7797 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »

All I could see there was that the cavewoman (because it's always the woman) had hung the toilet roll back to front.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7798 on: April 21, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
Off-topic - 1995 was the year newsprint comics died. There will never be another Gary Larson or Bill Patterson  Watterson.

Fixed that for you.  We can also throw in Berke Breathed since Outland ended in 1995 too (although it wasn't nearly as funny as Bloom County).

One of my favorite Far Side cartoons:

And a classic Calvin & Hobbes:

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7799 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
All I could see there was that the cavewoman (because it's always the woman) had hung the toilet roll back to front.

I know quite a few men that also prefer to hang tp in the improper under hand fashion.