Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252618 times)

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7300 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
^HAHAHAHAHAHA AWESOME

Though, for the record, fortnight would be insanely useful if it didn't feel so old-timey. Might have to implement it in 50 years when I become that crazy old man who sits on his front porch yelling at neighbor kids.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7301 on: March 12, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »
I might have to start using fortnight, it's been dead long enough that it might be cool to revive it :P
Also need to start using score for 20.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #7302 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
Actually, with TV now being more global, I have noticed Americans using more English words, or, at least, knowing what they mean.  I blame Dr Who.

Some 20 years ago in Japan I pursuaded an american friend that "wanker" meant "friend".  He introduced himself to someone quite important (who definitely knew the correct meaning" by saying "Hello, wanker"...

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7303 on: March 12, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Some 20 years ago in Japan I pursuaded an american friend that "wanker" meant "friend".  He introduced himself to someone quite important (who definitely knew the correct meaning" by saying "Hello, wanker"...

LOL.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7304 on: March 13, 2015, 02:32:55 AM »
A common chant at Aussie stadiums is the picking on an opposition player and repeating "You are a wanker" again and again.

There was a story of a 7 year old kid, upon hearing this, asking his father "Dad, what's a wanker?"

The father looked a little embarrassed and not knowing what to say ummed and ahhed a bit, searching for the right answer.

A big burly Scotsman sitting behind them overhead the conversation and saved the day. "Laddie, a wanker is a man who enjoys his own company".

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7305 on: March 13, 2015, 02:51:27 AM »
A common chant at Aussie stadiums is the picking on an opposition player and repeating "You are a wanker" again and again.

There was a story of a 7 year old kid, upon hearing this, asking his father "Dad, what's a wanker?"

The father looked a little embarrassed and not knowing what to say ummed and ahhed a bit, searching for the right answer.

A big burly Scotsman sitting behind them overhead the conversation and saved the day. "Laddie, a wanker is a man who enjoys his own company".

Ha!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7306 on: March 13, 2015, 05:39:58 AM »
Actually, with TV now being more global, I have noticed Americans using more English words, or, at least, knowing what they mean.  I blame Dr Who.

This reminds me of when I was a kid, and my older sister convinced me that "hump" was another word for "jump," and so I sang a song (Pink Pajamas) in a talent show, inserting hump for jump.  "And sometimes in the springtime and sometimes in the fall, I hump right in between the sheets..."  I thought everyone was laughing at me because I was so cute and such a good singer, until my parents pulled me aside and explained it to me.  Yeah, I still owe my sister for that one.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7307 on: March 13, 2015, 05:46:07 AM »

This reminds me of when I was a kid, and my older sister convinced me that "hump" was another word for "jump," and so I sang a song (Pink Pajamas) in a talent show, inserting hump for jump.  "And sometimes in the springtime and sometimes in the fall, I hump right in between the sheets..."  I thought everyone was laughing at me because I was so cute and such a good singer, until my parents pulled me aside and explained it to me.  Yeah, I still owe my sister for that one.

One of my friend's older sisters told said friend that she was an accident. My friend being seven or so at the time, didn't know what this really meant, but knew that it was fun to say. So she ran around the house yelling "I'm an accident!" while they had family guests over.
My friend said she got the worst spanking ever that night. I don't actually think they explained what that meant though.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7308 on: March 13, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
I might have to start using fortnight, it's been dead long enough that it might be cool to revive it :P

Shortly after I moved to the US from the UK, an American asked me tetchily why we needed a word that meant two weeks. I should have asked her why Americans bother with a word that means two pints.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7309 on: March 13, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »

Shortly after I moved to the US from the UK, an American asked me tetchily why we needed a word that meant two weeks. I should have asked her why Americans bother with a word that means two pints.
Why is there a word for 2 anyway?
You can say any number with zero and one.

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who dont.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7310 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »

Wait, Britons don't use "quart"? Mind blown.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7311 on: March 13, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »

But why do they bother with a word that means two cups??

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7312 on: March 13, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »

Because everything in the UK revolves around pints.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #7313 on: March 13, 2015, 12:18:52 PM »

Because Americans seldom use the word 'pint'. It is more common in school to learn a quart as 4 cups rather than 2 pints. We may have covered 'pint', but it more common to use cups/quarts/gallons rather than pints and liters.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7314 on: March 13, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »
Because Americans seldom use the word 'pint'. It is more common in school to learn a quart as 4 cups rather than 2 pints. We may have covered 'pint', but it more common to use cups/quarts/gallons rather than pints and liters.

Unless you are in a proper pub >:D

Ah this cracks me up!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #7315 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »

I think their pints are more than two cups.  They're bigger than our pints, anyway.  They have bigger gallons, too.  Then they brag about superior mpg in their motorcycles!

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #7316 on: March 13, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
Don't get me started on Fahrenheit! What is room temperature in the US? Don't give me any wild numbers above 50!

Why do we need Fahrenheit?!?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:17:20 PM by Avidconsumer »

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #7317 on: March 13, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »

Because "Fahrenheit 451" sounds cooler than "Celsius 232.778"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7318 on: March 13, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »

I think their pints are more than two cups.  They're bigger than our pints, anyway.  They have bigger gallons, too.  Then they brag about superior mpg in their motorcycles!

Yeah, it truly depends. I know of a few bars that will serve 15 oz mugs (2 cups should be 16 oz), but it is truly difficult to catch this. To my knowledge, none of them did advertise it as being a "pint," so there's that. Of course, I could just show up to the bar with a graduated cylinder next time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7319 on: March 13, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
Don't get me started on Fahrenheit! What is room temperature in the US? Don't give me any wild numbers above 50!

jordanread

« Reply #7320 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »

Ha!! That is awesome. Also, I feel a crazy sense of glee when I bike @ -40...because you don't need to specify F or C.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #7321 on: March 13, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »

What, no Rankin??  Sad.....

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #7322 on: March 13, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »

Because the calibration is finer, so you can understand the actual temperature better. I mean WTF 30 should not be that much hotter than 20, that's just wrong. There need to be more gradations in between. Also because "below zero" should mean "seriously effing cold," not just "cold enough for water to freeze."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7323 on: March 13, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

Because the calibration is finer, so you can understand the actual temperature better. I mean WTF 30 should not be that much hotter than 20, that's just wrong. There need to be more gradations in between. Also because "below zero" should mean "seriously effing cold," not just "cold enough for water to freeze."

I think the gradations in between are "21," "22," "23," etc.  ;)

There's an infinite amount of gradations in between with decimals.

The problem isn't the gradations, but being familiar with what they mean.

For example, I could start a temperature system where 0.32 is where water freezes and 2.12 is where it boils.  There's not a ton of gradation in whole numbers between 2.12 and 0.32... yet you can instantly understand what temperatures are comfortable (for example, it's a pleasant 0.75 where I am right now).

Once you're familiar with a system it's not a problem.

I mean, why have a 0-100 gradation?  Why not 0-1000?  That will allow even more gradation and precision.

It's just getting familiar with whatever the system is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:28:01 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7324 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
(Not sure this was sarcasm or not)

I agree with this... except that your examples are all just arbitrary. Why should't 30 be that much hotter than 20? You can turn it around and use it in the other direction just as easily. And we have decimal points for the fine calibration.

Now, the big thing that annoys me about Fahrenheit is that they basically made it up by sticking a thermometer in a bucket of ice and saying "This is really cold, this is 0" and then stuck a thermometer in a bucket of water on a fire and said "this is really hot, this is 100" and then filled everything in from there on that scale. Why not just do double centigrade? Have freezing water be 0 and boiling water be 200? That would have given the same effect as your pro-Fahrenheit arguments. Except even moreso.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7325 on: March 13, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »

I agree with this... except that your examples are all just arbitrary. Why should't 30 be that much hotter than 20? You can turn it around and use it in the other direction just as easily. And we have decimal points for the fine calibration.

Now, the big thing that annoys me about Fahrenheit is that they basically made it up by sticking a thermometer in a bucket of ice and saying "This is really cold, this is 0" and then stuck a thermometer in a bucket of water on a fire and said "this is really hot, this is 100" and then filled everything in from there on that scale. Why not just do double centigrade? Have freezing water be 0 and boiling water be 200? That would have given the same effect as your pro-Fahrenheit arguments. Except even moreso.
Neither Celsius nor Fahrenheit were arbitrary.

0* C is the freezing temp of water and 100* C is the boiling point.

0* F is the freezing temp of salt water and 100* is (close to) human body temperature.

The only difference is that different fixed points were chosen to set the scale, it's all just gradations between (and above and below) those fixed points.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7326 on: March 13, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »

Neither Celsius nor Fahrenheit were arbitrary.

0* C is the freezing temp of water and 100* C is the boiling point.

0* F is the freezing temp of salt water and 100* is (close to) human body temperature.

The only difference is that different fixed points were chosen to set the scale, it's all just gradations between (and above and below) those fixed points.

In case anyone was wondering how Fahrenheit became used when Celcius makes more sense (at least to me, and nearly every scientist and doctor that I have asked), it is because it pre-dated Celsius, and likely was revolutionary at the time.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7327 on: March 13, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
One of my old bosses was from the UK and frequently labeled calendar appointments as "fortnightly" made me smile 😄

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #7328 on: March 13, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
Fortnithly means every 14 or 15 days? Anyway, it´s the same...rounded-up
Here (Québec) people call a quarter "a 30 penny"

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #7329 on: March 13, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »

Unless you are in a proper pub >:D

Ah this cracks me up!

Why do programmers confuse Halloween with Christmas?

Because OCT31 = DEC25

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7330 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
a co-worker who recently refinanced their house to pay off their credit cards was talking about having to get $1000 from  HELOC to fix up their car before they drive to Florida for a spring break vacation.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #7331 on: March 14, 2015, 05:30:23 AM »
Fortnithly means every 14 or 15 days? Anyway, it´s the same...rounded-up
Here (Québec) people call a quarter "a 30 penny"
Fortnight is a contraction of 'fourteen nights', so two weeks.  There used to be another word for week which was 'sennight' (a contraction of 'seven nights'). The most recent place I have seen that used is in Pride and Prejudice.
30 penny huh? I like it.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #7332 on: March 14, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
a co-worker who recently refinanced their house to pay off their credit cards was talking about having to get $1000 from  HELOC to fix up their car before they drive to Florida for a spring break vacation.

What does this have to do with the 20 degree Celsius pint of salt water stew we've been brewing for a fortnight?   Get outta here with  stuff overheard at work. Ya Wanker!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7333 on: March 14, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

Dude! That is the most brilliant shit i've heard ever! (not sarcastic)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7334 on: March 14, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
One of my old bosses was from the UK and frequently labeled calendar appointments as "fortnightly" made me smile 😄
:) I think it's a cute word. You guys should totes start using it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7335 on: March 15, 2015, 08:26:50 PM »
Isaac Asimov had a whole short story based on that.  ;-)

Ha!! That is awesome. Also, I feel a crazy sense of glee when I bike @ -40...because you don't need to specify F or C.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7336 on: March 16, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »
I arrived at work this morning to find several of my co-workers comparing what their children had bought them for Mothers' Day and congratulating/commiserating as appropriate. The one that got my back up the most was actually a woman whose son had been doing all the washing up after a party (hers) the night before and accidentally broke a dish that was one of her favourites. Apparently she can't believe he would do that to her on Mothers' Day.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7337 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »
I arrived at work this morning to find several of my co-workers comparing what their children had bought them for Mothers' Day and congratulating/commiserating as appropriate. The one that got my back up the most was actually a woman whose son had been doing all the washing up after a party (hers) the night before and accidentally broke a dish that was one of her favourites. Apparently she can't believe he would do that to her on Mothers' Day.

Anyone else get really nervous that you forgot Mother's day? It's in May here in the US. Yikes. Gave me a heart attack! And I don't do big gifts or anything, just like to be a little more thoughtful on those days.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #7338 on: March 16, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »

Anyone else get really nervous that you forgot Mother's day? It's in May here in the US. Yikes. Gave me a heart attack! And I don't do big gifts or anything, just like to be a little more thoughtful on those days.

Yup! Little scare there, all good now.

Mother's day is in May in Canada too, and my mom makes a huge deal about it for some reason. Fortunately she's decided she doesn't want stuff anymore, so we just have her over for dinner. 

My dad couldn't care less about Father's Day,  but I do usually bring him a six-pack and sit on the deck with him because that's always a good idea. :)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7339 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »
I asked some co-workers if the same % of 401k contributions is taken from your bonus. They sighed heavily and said "Yes. I've tried to change it but it's hard to time correctly" I was thrilled. I had just upped mine to coincide with my raise! Inching up towards that maximum....

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7340 on: March 16, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »

Hahaha... i got nervous!! Then i quickly googled mothers day and it said may... phew... shelivesthedream don't scare us like that!!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7341 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »
I asked some co-workers if the same % of 401k contributions is taken from your bonus. They sighed heavily and said "Yes. I've tried to change it but it's hard to time correctly" I was thrilled. I had just upped mine to coincide with my raise! Inching up towards that maximum....

just wait til you get there and then you will feel the thrill of having to lower it so you can maintain contributions all year to get the match.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7342 on: March 16, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Ha ha! Sorry for scaring everyone! I didn't realise it was on a different day across the pond.

I do have another funny thing to share from work, though, to make up for it.

We all know what FU means here, but at work it means 'follow up'. So we have FU letters, FU meetings, FU dates... all the time! And it makes me giggle every single time. I can't be the only one who haas this!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7343 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
Ha ha! Sorry for scaring everyone! I didn't realise it was on a different day across the pond.

I do have another funny thing to share from work, though, to make up for it.

We all know what FU means here, but at work it means 'follow up'. So we have FU letters, FU meetings, FU dates... all the time! And it makes me giggle every single time. I can't be the only one who haas this!

LOL. That's awesome!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7344 on: March 16, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »
I wish I could just designate an amount each pay period instead of percentages. I get paid twice a month so would rather designate $750 each pay period instead of having to adjust percentages after pay raise and bonus.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7345 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
I wish I could just designate an amount each pay period instead of percentages. I get paid twice a month so would rather designate $750 each pay period instead of having to adjust percentages after pay raise and bonus.

That's the one nice thing about my company's 401k. The not so good? High fees (~0.50% on a Vanguard Target Date), and only 3% match with 4 year vesting :(.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7346 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »

You can't? Everywhere I've worked has given this option.  Have you asked specifically?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7347 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »

Talk to the person who runs your 401k in your office, I JUST found out that it is 100% possible for them to designate an exact number within most payroll software.  I was at a fractional percentage to max for the year and they told me they can enter in a number to the penny in our payroll software.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7348 on: March 16, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

Talk to the person who runs your 401k in your office, I JUST found out that it is 100% possible for them to designate an exact number within most payroll software.  I was at a fractional percentage to max for the year and they told me they can enter in a number to the penny in our payroll software.

I'm sure our company could do it but it's not an option in Fidelity. It's only a percentage. So damn stupid. It doesn't affect me yet but it will within a few years at the longest (maybe sooner).

Although my wife has a 457 option that we'll be moving to. I mean, jeez, it's the same fees/fund choices as her regular 401k but it doesn't have the early withdrawal penalties.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7349 on: March 16, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »

I'm sure our company could do it but it's not an option in Fidelity. It's only a percentage. So damn stupid. It doesn't affect me yet but it will within a few years at the longest (maybe sooner).

Although my wife has a 457 option that we'll be moving to. I mean, jeez, it's the same fees/fund choices as her regular 401k but it doesn't have the early withdrawal penalties.

have you called fidelity? I once had a 401k with a company who used them, on the website it was percentages, yet on the paperwork i was allowed to enter dollar amounts