Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252860 times)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7250 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
I am on a biweekly pay schedule, my wife is on a bimonthly. 

I personally prefer the biweekly because whatever happens over an 11 year cycle, I work roughly the same amount over a two week cycle.  We have our mortgage payments coming out biweekly, on the day I get paid - which means I put exactly zero thought into covering the mortgage (aside from all the other benefits of biweekly mortgage payments).  I get paid every second Thursday, all my savings transfers, mortgage payments, bills etc. get paid automatically on payday.  It is always a business day, and there are never any wacky delays.

The bimonthly pay schedule is necessarily more randomized.  Often the 15th or 30th/31st/28th are on a weekend or long weekend, which means the pay goes in a day or two earlier than expected.  Sometimes the cheque is smaller because of the way her weeks work out, sometimes it is much bigger (e.g. in February her cheques are necessarily a bit smaller).  Less predictable in terms of dates, amounts and regularity.

Ultimately for someone who is a mustachian it doesn`t matter too much - one should have enough set aside that a few hundred dollars or a couple day variation in pay schedule won`t cause a problem.  However, we tend to save fairly aggressively and the variations mean that I can`t quite automate it all - I need to tweak the savings/mortgage reductions and other amounts up or down every couple of weeks based on whatever happens. 

It is a minor inconvenience, and really the kind of problem most people would love to have (DW is paid very well).  It just keeps me more involved in our monthly finances than I'd like to be (automated megasavings=good).  I guess that would be more of a 'mustachian people problems issue', but for the rest of the planet, two or three day variations in payday and amounts can be problematic - it was for me back in my 20s for sure.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #7251 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
When I had my first little part time teen-aged job it was at a store (does anyone remember Woolco?) that paid us every Friday ....IN CASH! We'd get an envelope with our wages, including coins, in cash and tear off handwritten pay stub for tax returns. Only time I ever worked for a company that paid in cash. This was in 1975.

I remember them!   And I worked for Kinney Shoes as my first job, which was owned by the same parent company (F.W. Woolworth).   We also got paid in cash every week.   The store was small enough that I got to see how it worked - the manager had a ledger where he multiplied people's hours by their rate, added in commission as appropriate.    All with pencil.   Then he paid us out of the drawer on Friday.    Back then there were enough cash purchases for it not to be an issue.  This was 1984-5.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7252 on: March 10, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »

You mean semi monthly. Bimonthly would mean your wife gets paid once every two months ;)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7253 on: March 10, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
When I had my first little part time teen-aged job it was at a store (does anyone remember Woolco?) that paid us every Friday ....IN CASH! We'd get an envelope with our wages, including coins, in cash and tear off handwritten pay stub for tax returns. Only time I ever worked for a company that paid in cash. This was in 1975.

I remember them!   And I worked for Kinney Shoes as my first job, which was owned by the same parent company (F.W. Woolworth).   We also got paid in cash every week.   The store was small enough that I got to see how it worked - the manager had a ledger where he multiplied people's hours by their rate, added in commission as appropriate.    All with pencil.   Then he paid us out of the drawer on Friday.    Back then there were enough cash purchases for it not to be an issue.  This was 1984-5.

I got paid weekly in cash once too, when I worked for a summer in Drumnadrochit, Scotland (touristy Lochness monster town). It was in 2002. We didn't get paid very much, but we got free room and board also.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7254 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »

You mean semi monthly. Bimonthly would mean your wife gets paid once every two months ;)

This has already been discussed at length.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7255 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

It means both, we have had this discussion once before ;)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/does-bimonthly-mean-twice-a-month-or-every-two-months

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7256 on: March 10, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/does-bimonthly-mean-twice-a-month-or-every-two-months

I think we had that discussion in this thread.  I still think it's stupid.  I think it's especially confusing when the bi prefix is used to mean every 2 periods, and also twice per period, within the same sentence.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7257 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »

I think we had that discussion in this thread.  I still think it's stupid.  I think it's especially confusing when the bi prefix is used to mean every 2 periods, and also twice per period, within the same sentence.

Colloquially, they are identical. Semantically, semi means half, bi means 2, so they aren't. Again, like you nacho said, this has been discussed at length (2+ pages) in this thread.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7258 on: March 10, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
Is it ok to refer to bi-sexual as semi-sexual?

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7259 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »

Seriously?  ~800 words and that is what you focus on?

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7260 on: March 10, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »

I got paid weekly in cash once too, when I worked for a summer in Drumnadrochit, Scotland (touristy Lochness monster town). It was in 2002. We didn't get paid very much, but we got free room and board also.

I got paid weekly in cash in Scotland, too! It was so weird. It was not that long ago - 2008. It was exactly as described: a small manila envelope with cash and coins. This was a touristy pub in Edinburgh that only took cash, no cards or checks although I don't remember the check part ever being an issue.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7261 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »

Yup.

I'm with Pooperman on this one. As Cheddar Stacker noted, we don't say semi-sexual. Nor does semicircle mean two circles.

Colloquially, they are identical. Semantically, semi means half, bi means 2, so they aren't. Again, like you nacho said, this has been discussed at length (2+ pages) in this thread.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7262 on: March 10, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »

Yup.

I'm with Pooperman on this one. As Cheddar Stacker noted, we don't say semi-sexual. Nor does semicircle mean two circles.

LOL this thread might be getting watered down.  Now we are having the same argument twice.

still lots of fun though

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7263 on: March 10, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »
As Cheddar Stacker noted, we don't say semi-sexual. Nor does semicircle mean two circles.

So you're saying it doesn't "go both ways". Got it.

Edit: fixed it for you johnny.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:08:16 PM by Cheddar Stacker »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7264 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:23 PM »
As Cheddar Stacker noted, we don't say semi-sexual. Nor does semicircle mean two circles.

So you're saying it doesn't "go both ways". Got it.

Looks like you edited the quotes incorrectly there.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7265 on: March 10, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
The Earth revolves around the sun in 365.242199 days (365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds). Every 100 years, there is no leap year?(should be 128 years) Tax implications please? I need to know!

I have created this spreadsheet to workout your exact tax implications based on what century you were born in....

Years divisible by 100 don't  have leap years except if they are divisible by 400, then they do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_year
This gets you to 365.2425.  Now we're only 0.0003 days off.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7266 on: March 10, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »
Thanks for the laughs about pay frequency.

Back on topic:

CW1: We're buying a new house! It's a the top of the budget, but [husband] says its fine.
CW2: that's great, what's it like?
CW1: [blah blah], and it news a new roof, there's water damage in the attic.
CW2: Oh, are you going to get the price reduced for it?
CW1: No, why?

I'm wincing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7267 on: March 10, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »

Colloquially, they are identical. Semantically, semi means half, bi means 2, so they aren't.

Intrinsically, semi means half.  But inherently, bi means 2.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7268 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »

Colloquially, they are identical. Semantically, semi means half, bi means 2, so they aren't.

Intrinsically, semi means half.  But inherently, bi means 2.

Are we starting an adverb war now?

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #7269 on: March 10, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »
Again, like you nacho said, this has been discussed at length (2+ pages) in this thread.

You mean we had a bi-page discussion about it?

Otsog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7270 on: March 10, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
The Earth revolves around the sun in 365.242199 days (365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds). Every 100 years, there is no leap year?(should be 128 years) Tax implications please? I need to know!

I have created this spreadsheet to workout your exact tax implications based on what century you were born in....

Bi weekly pay periods occasionally have a year of 27 pay periods. This could disqualify people from needs tested programs or screw up deductions if the employer isn't on it.

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7271 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
CW bought a house!
This is the best I can remember:

CW: we were supposed to get the house this week, but the loan guy says we need to bring 13 thousand dollars to closing. That's ridiculous!!!
me: that doesn't sound too bad. Your house is about the same price as mine was.
CW: how much did you have to give them in closing?
me: 11 grand.
CW: see? 13 is crazy!
me: it seems ballpark right. And remember, my loan was smaller than yours.
CW: no, our house is less than yours [his is 284k, mine was 292k]
me: but your loan is larger [he is putting 0% down] and I'm not totally sure, but I think some of the closing costs are based on the loan size. like, you're supposed to estimate closing costs as a percentage of the loan.
CW: no, our house is less than yours.
me: but you are putting less down. I put 25 thousand down, so I actually showed up to closing with a cashier's check for 36 thousand dollars, and I got a loan for 267 thousand. If you don't have a down payment, your loan will be larger.
CW: we did have a down payment! We gave them 5 thousand so we got first dibs on the house.
me: that sounds more like earnest money? A down payment makes your loan smaller, because you're giving the seller some of the price directly so you don't have to borrow as much from the bank.
CW: that's not how down payments work. They don't affect the amount of the loan.
me: um...
CW: oh, and they're saying we have to bring more now because of taking my name off the loan [his credit wasn't great]
me: well, yeah, it's not a VA loan anymore.
CW: the VA loan doesn't have anything to do with it!
me: ...ok.
CW: did you really have to pay 36 thousand?? how do you get that much money?!!
me: I saved it for a down payment! You know, if you don't have enough money to close on the house, your real estate agent can probably find a way out for you, it's not the end of the world.
CW: we'll get it from [wife's] parents, they always have money. Don't use this loan company, they're ridiculous.

He called me four times last week to have this same conversation. I am just waiting for the day CW uses an online amortization calculator, doesn't understand that the calculator shows only his P+I, and thinks the loan servicer is fleecing him with the escrow payments.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7272 on: March 10, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
Again, like you nacho said, this has been discussed at length (2+ pages) in this thread.

This thread is giving me a semi.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7273 on: March 10, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »
CW bought a house!

He called me four times last week to have this same conversation. I am just waiting for the day CW uses an online amortization calculator, doesn't understand that the calculator shows only his P+I, and thinks the loan servicer is fleecing him with the escrow payments.

This made me first laugh, then cry a little. DW and I have somewhat seriously talked about buying our first home in cash - I'm sure I'd end up with only a few golden work conversations for this thread if I did that haha.

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7274 on: March 11, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »
CW bought a house!

This made me first laugh, then cry a little. DW and I have somewhat seriously talked about buying our first home in cash - I'm sure I'd end up with only a few golden work conversations for this thread if I did that haha.

Oh, and he is PISSED that his monthly payment will be higher than mine. On a larger loan, in a county with higher taxes. D'oh!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7275 on: March 11, 2015, 06:54:23 AM »

Are your salaries actually stated in annual terms?  The companies i've worked for have always defined in either hourly, or as salary but defined as biweekly.   So if you make $40k/yr your employment contract doesn't state $40k/yr, it would state $1,600 biweekly based on 80 hours.

EDIT: math error

Mine is stated yearly. 

I looked it up, I get paid twice a month, not biweekly.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7276 on: March 11, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »
CW bought a house!

Oh, and he is PISSED that his monthly payment will be higher than mine. On a larger loan, in a county with higher taxes. D'oh!

oh my god. that conversation... I don't even know how to react. can you believe they seriously give loans of hundreds of thousands of dollars to people whose lack of understanding is SO complete?!?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7277 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:25 AM »
How is it very slightly bogus? And it's not even my pay scale. It's the federal government's.

Ha!  Still stuck in conflict mode, I see.

I meant the generic "you" not you in particular.   You, me, anyone with a biweekly check.  Your pay scale (our pay scales, any pay scales) are very slightly bogus because the annual dollar amount they claim to be paying you is based on a very long cycle of 26 pay periods in some years and 27 in others, and so they slightly underpay that amount in some years and slightly overpay in other years and you'd need to work many decades to have it all average out correctly with the leap years.

Hmm, I never knew why it was the case that I've never actually made what my Fed salary says I make in any given year!  Now I get it.  The bastards . . .

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7278 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »

If a plane had a bi-black box, would it be black and orange?

Grimm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7279 on: March 11, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »

After they are married for a few years -
both of these posts didn't get nearly enough love

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7280 on: March 11, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »

You've got it all wrong. The box is semi-black and semi-blue. No, I mean, it's bi-white and bi-gold!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7281 on: March 11, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »

You've got it all wrong. The box is semi-black and semi-blue. No, I mean, it's bi-white and bi-gold!

I thought I had all of this orange black box thing straitened out in my head.... Now you are telling me it is a semi black/bi orange with blue speckles, semi circle...  WTF...

How am I ever going to get this strait!!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7282 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:50 AM »

I thought I had all of this orange black box thing straitened out in my head.... Now you are telling me it is a semi black/bi orange with blue speckles, semi circle...  WTF...

Well you can start by fishing a semi black/bi orange box out of the Florida strait.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7283 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »

After they are married for a few years -
both of these posts didn't get nearly enough love

Thanks Grimm.

I gotta tip my cap to this one:

This thread is giving me a semi.

Bigote was funny. Dragoncar was spit take funny.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7284 on: March 11, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

Well you can start by fishing a semi black/bi orange box out of the Florida strait.

Smart ass!  Serves me well for not paying attention to my grammar...  On that note... It would not be very mustachian for me to fish in the Florida strait, being from Canada :)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7285 on: March 11, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Sigh... I am the one who started the paycheque madness/hilarity, I take responsibility.

My main gripe wasn't with the semi-monthy vs bi-weekly screwing someone once-every-whatever-the-fuck-you-guys-were-talking about-up-there due to tax purposes.

In my original post I said daily would be best! It is generally better to get paid for your services as quickly as possible after they are rendered. I'm standing by that god dammit!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7286 on: March 11, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
Just went to a lunch and learn from the guys (all guys) who are responsible for my office's rrsp plan.  There was little actual discussion about rrsps other than it being a good idea, and that we should choose one of the risk level portfolios, and they'll take care of all the rebalancing etc.  Included in the talk was that they are a "premium" product, with "very active" managers who are "constantly moving" the portfolio composition.

They also showed how if you put the money in with them through work (i.e. pre-tax) that you end up with more money every pay than if you saved that same amount of money post-tax.  A whole $600 more over the course of a year.  Of course they didn't mention you would get that cash back anyways with your tax refund, and if you talked to HR they could adjust your withholding so you weren't giving the government a loan.  I was a good worker and didn't point this out.

I'm still going to sign up, because work does give a small amount of matching, and I might as well assume I'll still be here when it vests.  Plus I'm a sucker for Boursin cheese. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7287 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:39 PM »

Smart ass!  Serves me well for not paying attention to my grammar...  On that note... It would not be very mustachian for me to fish in the Florida strait, being from Canada :)

Haha you can choose whichever strait is closest =P

Sigh... I am the one who started the paycheque madness/hilarity, I take responsibility.

My main gripe wasn't with the semi-monthy vs bi-weekly screwing someone once-every-whatever-the-fuck-you-guys-were-talking about-up-there due to tax purposes.

In my original post I said daily would be best! It is generally better to get paid for your services as quickly as possible after they are rendered. I'm standing by that god dammit!

Uh if you really want to do that, there's a fair chance that the overhead incurred in getting paid daily would eat into your salary.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7288 on: March 11, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

Thanks, but I was going for jizz-in-your-pants funny.  I'll try harder

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #7289 on: March 11, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
Just went to a lunch and learn from the guys (all guys) who are responsible for my office's rrsp plan.  There was little actual discussion about rrsps other than it being a good idea, and that we should choose one of the risk level portfolios, and they'll take care of all the rebalancing etc.  Included in the talk was that they are a "premium" product, with "very active" managers who are "constantly moving" the portfolio composition.

They also showed how if you put the money in with them through work (i.e. pre-tax) that you end up with more money every pay than if you saved that same amount of money post-tax.  A whole $600 more over the course of a year.  Of course they didn't mention you would get that cash back anyways with your tax refund, and if you talked to HR they could adjust your withholding so you weren't giving the government a loan.  I was a good worker and didn't point this out.

I'm still going to sign up, because work does give a small amount of matching, and I might as well assume I'll still be here when it vests.  Plus I'm a sucker for Boursin cheese.

Wow, they're using my red flags as selling points!  I don't want active management, and I sure don't want churn from all those 'rebalancing' transaction fees to eat up my returns.

I have a DCPP at work. It's got lowish fees, but the options are pretty poor for funds. Lots of actively managed, high MER junk.  I'd just as soon have the pension adjustment gone so I could cram more into my self-directed RRSP (which is accessible if I retire early, unlike the DCPP), but I'd then miss out on $400/mo of free money.

I just take up to the max match in the pension, then put the rest into RRSP/TFSA.  It does kind of burn me up that over half of my (current) retirement savings will not be accessible until age 55. :(

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7290 on: March 11, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »

Thanks, but I was going for jizz-in-your-pants funny.  I'll try harder

It's got to be harder than semi for that.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7291 on: March 11, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »

I don't see what Bering that has on the discussion.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #7292 on: March 11, 2015, 09:32:21 PM »

As a matter of interest, why don't Americans use fortnight to describe a two week period like civilised people should?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7293 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »

As a matter of interest, why don't Americans use fortnight to describe a two week period like civilised people should?

Because Americans are civilized, not civilised.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7294 on: March 11, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »

I don't see what Bering that has on the discussion.

*high five*

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7295 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #7296 on: March 12, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »
^^^^^^^

+

Because Americans are civilized, not civilised.

=ZING

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #7297 on: March 12, 2015, 04:44:05 AM »
Americanization...? 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7298 on: March 12, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
Man, I stepped away from this thread for a little bit, and now there are 3 pages (!) of new... oh... never mind, nothing to see here.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7299 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!