Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252486 times)

lisahi

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #7100 on: March 03, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »
Some insurers won't even insure you if you own certain breeds like a pit bull. Risks are deemed too high.

Mike

This is just as ridiculous as breed-specific legislation.  I love my dog Coco to pieces, and she's never bitten anybody, but that's because I'm responsible and I don't put her in situations where that could happen. It's not because I couldn't foresee it happening if I was less responsible. She has anxiety issues, is deathly afraid of children due to an incident with a bratty neighbor child when she was a puppy (came up behind us and pulled Coco's tail, both hurting her and startling her), and she could potentially snap at a child if she was scared enough.

She's a 14-pound maltese/toy poodle mix. She looks like a teddy bear.

This is one of my "issues" -- you know, an issue that gets you riled up every time you hear about it. The idea is not only based on ignorance about certain dog breeds, but on unjustified fear caused by poorly-researched articles (a lot of the attacks attributed to pit bulls were by a wholly different breed of dog, but people can't seem to tell the difference).

Sorry, rant over. The insurance companies that refuse to insure because of the type of dog you have are ridiculous. I don't think my insurance company even asked if I had a dog.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #7101 on: March 03, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
Some insurers won't even insure you if you own certain breeds like a pit bull. Risks are deemed too high.

Mike

This is just as ridiculous as breed-specific legislation.  I love my dog Coco to pieces, and she's never bitten anybody, but that's because I'm responsible and I don't put her in situations where that could happen. It's not because I couldn't foresee it happening if I was less responsible. She has anxiety issues, is deathly afraid of children due to an incident with a bratty neighbor child when she was a puppy (came up behind us and pulled Coco's tail, both hurting her and startling her), and she could potentially snap at a child if she was scared enough.

This is one of my "issues" -- you know, an issue that gets you riled up every time you hear about it. The idea is not only based on ignorance about certain dog breeds, but on unjustified fear caused by poorly-researched articles (a lot of the attacks attributed to pit bulls were by a wholly different breed of dog, but people can't seem to tell the difference).

Sorry, rant over. The insurance companies that refuse to insure because of the type of dog you have are ridiculous. I don't think my insurance company even asked if I had a dog.

Why are pet-related liabilities even covered by homeowner's insurance in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to only be covered by an umbrella policy?

FrugalNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7102 on: March 03, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »

Mike

While I completely agree with your point around bad owners instead of bad breeds, my understanding of insurance companies is that most of their decisions are made based on statistics and evidence. It just so happens that bad dog owners these days are getting more pit bulls, which results in more incidents involving pit bulls where insurance companies end up having to pay out, which results in them raising rates or refusing coverage. It's the same reason why home owner's insurance is cheaper if you are a non-smoker, or if you have a home alarm system, or why car insurance is more expensive for young men, or in high-theft neighbourhoods.

From what I have read, it seems that in the past, similar fears have existed for dobermans and rottweilers.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7103 on: March 03, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
My poster child un mustachian co worker quit.  On her way out she told me this job is offering her 20k a year more and "now maybe we won't be living hand to mouth", she told me 3 weeks ago their household income is 225k according to their taxes.  225k....and they were living hand to mouth.  In her next sentence she talked about the new Volvo she wanted, when she' going to be using the Metro to go work.  Oh, and it's JUST her and her husband and a dog...no kids.

On a second note, one of our salesguys is here in the office today (he's stationed in another state), I hate this guy beyond all level of hatred that is normal.  No one in the office really likes him and our CEO calls him the man child behind his back.

Man Child (MC) to me:  Guess what?!?!  I'm buying a house, a pit bull, and an engagement ring this year!

Me:  Congrats on the house and fiance, you excited?

MC:  Well, it's a lot of responsibility, I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I close next week, sold all my toys for the down payment (yay?) so I guess I have to be.

Me:  If you aren't ready, then why are you buying?

MC:  Well, I figured it's time to be more responsible (he's 37), but really I can't keep ANYTHING for a long time, I've had 10 cars in the last 3 years, 4 motorcycles and a boat.  Plus I don't know how to fix anything so that can get costly.  Plus it's going to run me 700 bucks a month for my condo fees.

Me:  Yea, it can, you have to be prepared for it.  But a house doesn't make you an automatic adult ya know (and thinking holy shit 700 a month in condo fees!)

MC:  Yea, that's why I'm getting engaged!

Me:  Wait, you're getting married so that people will think you more of an adult?  Do you love her?

MC:  Well, she puts up with my shit, isn't that what marriage is about?

Me:  It's a part of it, but what about all the other parts like you putting up with her shit, or you not whoring around on her (he routinely does this), or what happens if she gets ill, or fat or whatever, are you still going to want to be with her?  You need to decide that or your divorce is going to be insane!

MC:  Meh, I'll figure the divorce part out later if she does pull those things, I'm broke so it's not like she'll get anything anyway

Me:  You know that pitbull is going to cost you in the way of homeowners insurance right?

MC:  Oh, I didn't know a dog could change your rates!  Would it effect me getting another car loan too?  My broker told me to not get a car loan until after I closed for some reason, not sure why

Me *blink* *blink*, oh crap I forgot this meeting I have to go to...cya!
My brain refused to process the stupidity about a quarter of the way in.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7104 on: March 03, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Why the hell would anyone care if a female has blonde eyelashes, Let alone be rude about it if they notice?

What am I missing?

If they are very light blonde, they are essentially invisible--it's as if the person had no eyelashes at all. And people with no eyelashes do look sort of weird. That doesn't excuse the rudeness, of course. I worked with a guy who had no visible hair at all--total chrome dome, no eyebrows, eyelashes, or facial hair. He looked sort of like a lizard.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #7105 on: March 03, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
People around here say "Real men don't eat quiche."

My husband responds that real men choose foods that they like, and eat them.  His favorite color is purple also, and he doesn't care who knows it!

I like the Australian version (think it was a title of a book) 

"Real men don't eat quiche - they eat bacon & egg flan"  (which, of course, is exactly the same thing)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7106 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »
Why the hell would anyone care if a female has blonde eyelashes, Let alone be rude about it if they notice?

What am I missing?

If they are very light blonde, they are essentially invisible--it's as if the person had no eyelashes at all. And people with no eyelashes do look sort of weird. That doesn't excuse the rudeness, of course. I worked with a guy who had no visible hair at all--total chrome dome, no eyebrows, eyelashes, or facial hair. He looked sort of like a lizard.

It sounds like this genetic condition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_universalis A friend of mine has this and he got eyebrows tattooed on so he has detectable facial expressions. He's apparently also better with eyeliner than his wife is.

Yes, it does look weird, and even if they aren't being intentionally/knowingly rude, I'm sure people stare or give weird looks sometimes. I wouldn't blame someone for trying to avoid the negative attention. Also, can't thin/none/light eyelashes be bad if they don't give enough shade to the eyes? Anyone with medical/bio info to chime in?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #7107 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »

What am I missing?

It sounds like this genetic condition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_universalis A friend of mine has this and he got eyebrows tattooed on so he has detectable facial expressions. He's apparently also better with eyeliner than his wife is.

Yes, it does look weird, and even if they aren't being intentionally/knowingly rude, I'm sure people stare or give weird looks sometimes. I wouldn't blame someone for trying to avoid the negative attention. Also, can't thin/none/light eyelashes be bad if they don't give enough shade to the eyes? Anyone with medical/bio info to chime in?

Eyelashes don't really give shade to the eyes.  They serve mostly as a protection from debris.  A lack of eyelashes is going to make you more susceptible to rain, snow, dust, etc.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #7108 on: March 03, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »

On a second note, one of our salesguys is here in the office today (he's stationed in another state), I hate this guy beyond all level of hatred that is normal.  No one in the office really likes him and our CEO calls him the man child behind his back.

Man Child (MC) to me:  Guess what?!?!  I'm buying a house, a pit bull, and an engagement ring this year!

I would have been tempted to ask "Did the pit bull say yes?"

HA!  That would have been the correct response. 

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #7109 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
I have just that - pale, thin blonde eyelashes that are the same colour as my skin. All my body hair is like that - I can't see my leg hair, I have to run my hand up and down my legs after shaving to see if I've done it properly.

Is there anything wrong with it? No. But it's not "stereotypically attractive" so it's just like someone with grey hair dying it, or someone plucking their eyebrows, or wearing contact lenses instead of glasses, or picking clothes based on colour/style instead of price and function. I personally would rather spend money on my appearance instead of good & beverage entertainment. Ll

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7110 on: March 03, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
I love being blonde! Someone at work pointed out that I'd missed my knees while shaving... Promptly showed them the rest of my leg which I don't shave because you can't see the blonde hairs (except in the sun). I also don't pluck my eyebrows because (1) it hurts, and (2) it'd look like I don't have eyebrows.

I figure, I teach teenagers... If it were noticeable/weird that I don't shave, they'd DEFINITELY point it out to me.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7111 on: March 03, 2015, 11:39:55 PM »
I have just that - pale, thin blonde eyelashes that are the same colour as my skin.

That's me, too. If I don't wear mascara and draw in my eyebrows, people constantly tell me I look sick, tired, etc. And it's not just because they're used to seeing me with mascara on - before I started using a little makeup, people always said I looked sick.

It would be hypocritical of me to complain about this, though, as I LURVE dark eyebrows and dark, long eyelashes on men. Men with my colouring are not attractive to me at all.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7112 on: March 04, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
I nearly choked on my lunch (leftovers) today as my newest, young CW sat down and happily exclaimed that she'd finally broken down and bought a new phone.  She's going from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 6.  Then she explained that to keep her "unlimited data and texting" that she's had with her provider (not AT&T), she wasn't able to upgrade her phone, she had to buy the new phone outright - for $800!  Holy mother of pearl!  $800 for a new phone when her old phone worked fine, it was just getting older?  And shes's excited?  Wow...

well if she is still on a 4S then thats a 4 year old phone and as many around here would look for other avenues if they wanted that phone if she can make it last 3-4 years its not insane. 

1. She kept a 4S for a long time
2. she didnt go out and get the iPhone 6 RIGHT WHEN IT COMES OUT
3. She really could have waited til  the 6s which should be out in the next 6 months or so typically and the 6 would have dropped. 

But all in all its not all too rash

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7113 on: March 04, 2015, 06:19:23 AM »
Coworker is saving for a duplex+ in a lower COL area where he and gf will move next month (though not buy until around the end of the year). He was talking about saving and is using my spreadsheet to track expenses. He only tracks when something leaves his account, where I do it as soon as it's spent. At any rate, it came to  my knowledge that he's also got credit card debt he could pay off right now but wasn't going to until next month when he moves. I was like "dude, you and your gf could totally go out for a dinner just on the money you'll save by not paying interest on your cards!" So he thought about it for a minute, and I think he totally went ahead and paid it off (or at least I hope so).

I've never paid interest, and can't fathom doing so in a situation like he's in! He's a smart guy who just can't math apparently!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7114 on: March 04, 2015, 06:50:05 AM »

I would have been tempted to ask "Did the pit bull say yes?"

HA!  That would have been the correct response.

+1  I was more concentrating on not punching him in the face.  He's ground zero for me, routinely tries to smack my ass or do an "accidental" tit grab at every office function so I REALLY need to goooooseee fraaaaabba when he's around to avoid assault charges.  He seriously reminds me of Will Ferrells character in Anchorman, dumb as a box of rocks, and a pig. 

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #7115 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »

Mike

Why are pet-related liabilities even covered by homeowner's insurance in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to only be covered by an umbrella policy?

Same goes with umbrella policies.  Certain dog breeds aren't covered by personal umbrella. YMMV depending on what insurer you have but always good to check.

Mike

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7116 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
Coworker is saving for a duplex+ in a lower COL area where he and gf will move next month (though not buy until around the end of the year). He was talking about saving and is using my spreadsheet to track expenses. He only tracks when something leaves his account, where I do it as soon as it's spent. At any rate, it came to  my knowledge that he's also got credit card debt he could pay off right now but wasn't going to until next month when he moves. I was like "dude, you and your gf could totally go out for a dinner just on the money you'll save by not paying interest on your cards!" So he thought about it for a minute, and I think he totally went ahead and paid it off (or at least I hope so).

I've never paid interest, and can't fathom doing so in a situation like he's in! He's a smart guy who just can't math apparently!

I kind of get this. I like to have a cushion when doing big things (like moving) and if I don't actually have the liquid cash for that I could see myself paying $50 for the privilege. But I'm not awesome with saving money that hits my bank account. It needs to be out of there into something else or I'm probably going to spend it on bike accessories or plane tickets or something. So clearly I'm a poor case study in this regard. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7117 on: March 04, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

If you look at the list of breeds commonly uninsurable for homeowners insurance, some of them make sense because of bad owners (pits, rotties, etc) and some I'm just baffled by. Great Danes, Alaskan Malamutes, and Huskies. I have never heard of an aggressive Dane and basically every Mal and Husky I've met is non-aggressive too.

But yeah, I can't change my insurance because anyone else either won't cover my Mal or will charge ridiculous extra because of him even though he's the biggest teddy bear you'll ever meet

As far as the Danes go, probably just fear from people. My friends have two. Very gentle, but people still pull back their kids when the dogs are around. And you know what? I don't blame them. Both are too friendly, and would inadvertantly knock kids down trying to play. In this sue-happy culture, you can understand it being on the banned breed list--even though the worst they could cause is a kid to fall down.

Nevermind that my golden has attacked other dogs before, nobody seems to have a problem with him even when I'm yelling at the owner "He's not nice!" and had moved 10 feet off the sidewalk. That should be a clue, don't let your dog say hi to mine. (We adopted him when he was 5, this behavior was already there from the prior bad owners :()
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:23:28 AM by mtn »

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7118 on: March 04, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »

Mike

While I completely agree with your point around bad owners instead of bad breeds, my understanding of insurance companies is that most of their decisions are made based on statistics and evidence. It just so happens that bad dog owners these days are getting more pit bulls, which results in more incidents involving pit bulls where insurance companies end up having to pay out, which results in them raising rates or refusing coverage. It's the same reason why home owner's insurance is cheaper if you are a non-smoker, or if you have a home alarm system, or why car insurance is more expensive for young men, or in high-theft neighbourhoods.

From what I have read, it seems that in the past, similar fears have existed for dobermans and rottweilers.
If you look at the list of breeds commonly uninsurable for homeowners insurance, some of them make sense because of bad owners (pits, rotties, etc) and some I'm just baffled by. Great Danes, Alaskan Malamutes, and Huskies. I have never heard of an aggressive Dane and basically every Mal and Husky I've met is non-aggressive too.

But yeah, I can't change my insurance because anyone else either won't cover my Mal or will charge ridiculous extra because of him even though he's the biggest teddy bear you'll ever meet

Yea ours are Chow mix and a Husky mix.  Our insurance had no issue with the husky mix, but they required paperwork from my vet on my other one saying what part Chow he was.  He's a trained therapy dog, and the neighbor children have done everything from punch him in the face, ride him, and rip out fist fulls of hair and he has done NOTHING.  He is literally a big poofy teddy bear. 

Every dog attack I've witnessed has been either a Lab or a Golden Retriever.  My old neighbors golden who was about 125 lbs would walk over, put my arm in his mouth and growl at me every time I came in the house to feed him while they were away.  Saw 3 different black labs attack people at the dog park and a couple attack smaller dogs (one bad enough that the dog was dead by the time the owner could pull him off).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7119 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

Mike

Yeah I never got the husky/malamute thing either. When I think "most common bad husky behavior," I think "running away/chasing small animals," not "biting humans." Our older dog was a pound puppy (so we don't know for sure) but appears to be a husky/GSD mix... both of which apparently appear on ban lists, but at least we can just say he's a mutt, LOL.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7120 on: March 04, 2015, 10:01:42 AM »

Mike

Yeah I never got the husky/malamute thing either. When I think "most common bad husky behavior," I think "running away/chasing small animals," not "biting humans." Our older dog was a pound puppy (so we don't know for sure) but appears to be a husky/GSD mix... both of which apparently appear on ban lists, but at least we can just say he's a mutt, LOL.

CHEWING...omg mine chews on stuff non...stop... if we aren't home, if she can find it and reach it, she will destroy it.  TP, cardboard, empty bottles, pillows...you name it, she's eaten it at some point in time, including a squirrel last summer, she snatched it off of our 7 foot fence.  And my husband runs her 6 or so miles every morning so it can't be a "not enough exercise thing"

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7121 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
I think huskies and malamutes are banned for being destructive, not for being violent.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7122 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Chiming in to add that chow/husky mixes are THE CUTEST FUCKING THINGS EVER.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7123 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »

Mike

CHEWING...omg mine chews on stuff non...stop... if we aren't home, if she can find it and reach it, she will destroy it.  TP, cardboard, empty bottles, pillows...you name it, she's eaten it at some point in time, including a squirrel last summer, she snatched it off of our 7 foot fence.  And my husband runs her 6 or so miles every morning so it can't be a "not enough exercise thing"
It's not enough exercise.  We had the same issue with our dog.  More exercise=a tired dog=a good dog. 

When she doesn't get enough exercise, she starts to destroy things that aren't her toys/bones. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7124 on: March 04, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

Mike

It's not enough exercise.  We had the same issue with our dog.  More exercise=a tired dog=a good dog. 

When she doesn't get enough exercise, she starts to destroy things that aren't her toys/bones.

When I lived up north several of my friends had Huskies and Malamutes as sled dogs.  Pulling a sled for 100 km in a day is no big thing for these dogs.  6 miles isn't even a warmup.  As to the biting thing, I've met some very sweet sled dogs but people often keep them outdoors and in a pack.  They behave a lot more aggressively when kept in that way and they'll bite pretty readily if they don't like the look of you or know you.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7125 on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Nah the biter was my neighbors dog, my husky would probably pee herself if she ever snapped.  She's an uber submissive (no idea why she's been like that since we got her) love moosh of licking tail wagging.

I still don't get the exercise thing, she does 6ish miles in the morning, an afternoon walk, AND an hour of free running ball time when I get home from work.  Vet in the past has though separation anxiety, but there's not really much we can do about it.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7126 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »

I still don't get the exercise thing, she does 6ish miles in the morning, an afternoon walk, AND an hour of free running ball time when I get home from work.  Vet in the past has though separation anxiety, but there's not really much we can do about it.

So the dog gets about 3-4 hours of exercise a day? This is a breed that is genetically designed to run for about 12 hours a day (non-continuous) and up to 100 miles a day. While pulling a sled.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7127 on: March 04, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

So the dog gets about 3-4 hours of exercise a day? This is a breed that is genetically designed to run for about 12 hours a day (non-continuous) and up to 100 miles a day. While pulling a sled.

She's not a pure bred, she's a mutt, their best guess is husky and german shepard.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7128 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
When I was a kid one of my friends got a dog that was some kind of wolf/malmute mix (wolf side was dominant).  It was a tall, slender, and excited fur factory and acted like a bratty teenager - except when around visitors.  The dog spent too much time inside and never got enough attention.  It wasn't necessarily neglected, but it was a very social creature with an independent streak.  It never got aggressive, but knew how to push the parent's buttons.  They were just not the kind of family I would have expected to own a dog, let alone that breed.  They would have been better off with a smaller breed that just sits around and doesn't disturb anything.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7129 on: March 04, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
+1  I was more concentrating on not punching him in the face.  He's ground zero for me, routinely tries to smack my ass or do an "accidental" tit grab at every office function

I'm sorry what?? That is sexual harassment AND assault and should be reported. You're likely not the only person he is doing this to and someone needs to speak up to put a stop to his behavior.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7130 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
+1  I was more concentrating on not punching him in the face.  He's ground zero for me, routinely tries to smack my ass or do an "accidental" tit grab at every office function

I'm sorry what?? That is sexual harassment AND assault and should be reported. You're likely not the only person he is doing this to and someone needs to speak up to put a stop to his behavior.

He has been reported, it's done nothing....it's a part of my toxic vampire squid job (I have an entire thread running on my contemplation of telling them all to go fuck themselves), I'm one of only 2 females in the company, and the other one is a MUCH older VP. 

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7131 on: March 04, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

You can report to the local authorities.

He has been reported, it's done nothing....it's a part of my toxic vampire squid job (I have an entire thread running on my contemplation of telling them all to go fuck themselves), I'm one of only 2 females in the company, and the other one is a MUCH older VP.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7132 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »

Or knee him in the groin every time he does it until he stops, and dare anyone to say anything negative to you

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7133 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »
Here is what OSHA has to say on the matter, if you'd prefer to report it to them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:58:34 PM by Elliot »

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7134 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »

I unfortunately learned this one the hard way. Next time, tell him very loudly to not touch you.  Write it down, what he did, your response, and report him again.  Do this EVERY SIGNLE TIME.  If nothing happens then you will have a sexual harassment suit with documentation. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7135 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »
If nothing is happening when you report to your HR, if he actually touches you (and really even if he doesn't, you still could)- I'd report to police. 

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7136 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
We're getting off topic lol

To answer, we don't have an HR department.  I kindly informed him after the last time that I carry a concealed 9mm or .45 on me at all times and explained how good of a shot I am.  We'll see if he does it again.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7137 on: March 04, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »

3-4 hours of exercise is plenty to make most huskies and malamutes behave and not tear everything up. Unless you honestly think that there is no husky/mal anywhere in the US, that isn't pulling a sled all day, that behaves.

Also, 100 miles is not 100 km, and 100km is at the upper range of what those dogs can do.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #7138 on: March 04, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
Overheard at work: talking about home appliances...

CW1: Oh, a few months ago our refrigerator broke. We had to throw out EVERYTHING. It must have been $300-$400 worth of food.

CW2: Wait, don't you have a second fridge?

CW1: Well yeah, but that one is also pretty full. There wasn't much we could fit in there.

Is it normal to assume people have 2 fridges? Is it normal to have $300 worth of items in thee fridge? What planet am I from?

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #7139 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
My poster child un mustachian co worker quit.  On her way out she told me this job is offering her 20k a year more and "now maybe we won't be living hand to mouth", she told me 3 weeks ago their household income is 225k according to their taxes.  225k....and they were living hand to mouth.  In her next sentence she talked about the new Volvo she wanted, when she' going to be using the Metro to go work.  Oh, and it's JUST her and her husband and a dog...no kids.

MC:  Well, it's a lot of responsibility, I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I close next week, sold all my toys for the down payment (yay?) so I guess I have to be.

MC:  Well, I figured it's time to be more responsible (he's 37), but really I can't keep ANYTHING for a long time, I've had 10 cars in the last 3 years, 4 motorcycles and a boat.  Plus I don't know how to fix anything so that can get costly.  Plus it's going to run me 700 bucks a month for my condo fees.

Me:  Yea, it can, you have to be prepared for it.  But a house doesn't make you an automatic adult ya know (and thinking holy shit 700 a month in condo fees!)

Me:  Wait, you're getting married so that people will think you more of an adult?  Do you love her?

Me:  It's a part of it, but what about all the other parts like you putting up with her shit, or you not whoring around on her (he routinely does this), or what happens if she gets ill, or fat or whatever, are you still going to want to be with her?  You need to decide that or your divorce is going to be insane!

MC:  Meh, I'll figure the divorce part out later if she does pull those things, I'm broke so it's not like she'll get anything anyway

Me:  You know that pitbull is going to cost you in the way of homeowners insurance right?

MC:  Oh, I didn't know a dog could change your rates!  Would it effect me getting another car loan too?  My broker told me to not get a car loan until after I closed for some reason, not sure why

I love how you take this guy's answers literally. His responses are very cliché and what you would expect from this type of guy. Sounds like a proper geezer to me.

jordanread

« Reply #7140 on: March 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »
We're getting off topic lol

To answer, we don't have an HR department.  I kindly informed him after the last time that I carry a concealed 9mm or .45 on me at all times and explained how good of a shot I am.  We'll see if he does it again.

I, a random internet stranger, demand a follow up to this. :) I'm sorry you have to deal with that, that shit sucks. I'm sure you could find some Mustachians around those parts who'd be willing to go to war for you (even though it sounds like you are doing that already).

3-4 hours of exercise is plenty to make most huskies and malamutes behave and not tear everything up. Unless you honestly think that there is no husky/mal anywhere in the US, that isn't pulling a sled all day, that behaves.

Also, 100 miles is not 100 km, and 100km is at the upper range of what those dogs can do.

He he. I'd highly suggest dog skiing. You don't have skis, but the dogs have a harness. One in each hand, a snowy road, and happiness :). Also, from my experience, dogs who habitually chew usually have some type of nutritional deficit. Granted, my GSD cut way back on chewing random things once I figured out his diet. He will still chew when he is bored, but not nearly as much, and not if he has something tastier around (like an injured chicken [:(] or a beef shoulder).

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7141 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
A week or so before Valentine's day CW comes over freaking out about how they did a dry run of their taxes and probably have to pay $11,000 because they messed up their withholdings.

At that point I felt bad because $11k IS alot of money to have in liquid savings for most people. At one point though "we made more than we ever have last year" came out of her mouth and I still tried not to judge because it would be unusual to have that much in savings. She's an admin asst so probably makes $50k. Let's assume her husband makes a similar or slightly more amount.

The week after Valentine's she comes in showing off her new Coach purse and says something like, her husband loves to buy things and leave the surprises around the house for her. And talked about the spa trip she took on valentine's which I think was a present she got from him for Christmas.

I suddenly don't feel bad for her tax situation.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7142 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »

I love how you take this guy's answers literally. His responses are very cliché and what you would expect from this type of guy. Sounds like a proper geezer to me.

No, he was being literal....this guy is about as stupid of a human being as I have ever met, we can't even send him to client sites because we've had complaints about his lack of intelligence.  There is a whole lotta office politics surrounding why he is currently employed.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7143 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
The week after Valentine's she comes in showing off her new Coach purse and says something like, her husband loves to buy things and leave the surprises around the house for her. And talked about the spa trip she took on valentine's which I think was a present she got from him for Christmas.

I suddenly don't feel bad for her tax situation.

I've seen this in a few places the last month or so with tax season where people have honestly said (or tv/radio ads implore you to) spend your tax refund while it's burning a hole in your pocket lest you save it or :::gasp::: spend it on something you actually need.  It was somewhere here in the "Anti" section where someone just had to blow their refund on toys otherwise they'd have to spend the money on an appliance that was about to break.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7144 on: March 04, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
Is it normal to assume people have 2 fridges? Is it normal to have $300 worth of items in thee fridge? What planet am I from?
We almost certainly have >$300 of food in our fridge--our weekly grocery budget is about $225, and there is food that stays in the freezer some times for a few weeks.

Of course, we have a family of 8.  And we *do* have two fridges, although one of them we use almost exclusively for its freezer...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7145 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »

CW1: Oh, a few months ago our refrigerator broke. We had to throw out EVERYTHING. It must have been $300-$400 worth of food.

CW1: Well yeah, but that one is also pretty full. There wasn't much we could fit in there.

To be fair, $300 is only like three 4lb lobsters.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7146 on: March 04, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »

Our fridge took a shit and started freezing everything.  I was pissed about losing about $50 worth of food, but luckily we have an unused wine cooler that we were able to transfer some of the food to.  I think if *everything* in the fridge + attached freezer got too warm and spoiled, we'd be out about $100.  And having two fridges full of food is insane unless you've got a huge family.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7147 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »

I really, really hope that he doesn't have children.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7148 on: March 05, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »

Well, to be fair they'll do 100 mile days in the Iditarod, but there are a lot of breaks and support built into the race.  That's probably pushing the dogs pretty hard though.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7149 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
We adoped a mix-breed dog (looks like a hound dog, and genetic test done years later came up as terrier, coonhound, German Shepard). He was pretty much out of control the first year we got him (he was about a year old). Took him for walks 2-3 times a day. But he was constantly barking, would jump or tunnel under our 6 foot fence and run away, also in the evening would tear back and forth the length of our house barking and jumping on us. I was really ready to re-home him. I think it was the 2nd dog trainer we talked to said, you really need to be exercising him more. And we are like, we take him for walks multiple times a day. And she was like, no, I'm talking about an hour in the morning, an hour in the evening, walks are not going to cut it. Also suggested other activities he could do. But we didn't follow advice so we put up with a crazy dog for a couple more years until we did work it in more. My one regret is that we didn't get him into scent trials, this dog's nose is so good he sniffed out a rat from over 50 feet away who was hiding, does the same for possums and outside cats (we don't let him chase them), he would have really made a good working dog.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:53:02 PM by partgypsy »