Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253402 times)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #700 on: September 10, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
Mead or no, as far as I'm concerned, it's not ok to be a hipster. And while you're at it, get offa my lawn!

No, you're thinking of "hippie." Not quite the same thing.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »

I think it only counts if you keep bees and harvest your own honey :-)

Oh dear I am now a hipster based on this.  Once you have 20 or 30 pounds of extra honey sitting around mead starts to make sense.....

I wouldn't consider myself hipster. Just trying to move towards self sufficiency in an effort for early retirement. Hoping to turn the bees into a sideline business.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »

I think it only counts if you keep bees and harvest your own honey :-)

Oh dear I am now a hipster based on this.  Once you have 20 or 30 pounds of extra honey sitting around mead starts to make sense.....

I wouldn't consider myself hipster. Just trying to move towards self sufficiency in an effort for early retirement. Hoping to turn the bees into a sideline business.

My impression is that this wouldn't be profitable... just less unprofitable than other hobbies.  True/false?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »
Depends on how big you go, I think. I knew a guy who had 5,000 hives, and he earned more money than I've ever dreamed of making. But on the less extreme end, if you have more than a few, economies of scale can make it a profitable venture.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
Depends on how big you go, I think. I knew a guy who had 5,000 hives, and he earned more money than I've ever dreamed of making. But on the less extreme end, if you have more than a few, economies of scale can make it a profitable venture.

I'm planning on starting with my first hive next year as a hobby.  Can you elaborate a bit on what kind of scale you would need to make it a business?  I live on a third of an acre in suburbia, where would I put all the hives necessary?

Luigi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #705 on: September 11, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
Luigi, why would you not tell your grandma?
I've tried.  I'm not really sure how she interpreted it.  She's almost 90 and she's got alzheimers at the very least, if not something worse.  Years ago, my mom may have been doing the same things, but I only really found out how bad it was in the past couple months.  My mom has taken to complaining about my grandma's money to me because I make so much money (I make 30k a year pre-tax), trying to get the money from me.  It was only when she started that this summer I found out how bad it was.

Yikes. You might want to call an elder-law attorney in your town (or in your state if your town is too small to have one). Most lawyers will talk to you for a few minutes for free, to understand your situation and determine if there's anything they can do to help you. At least they might be able to point you towards your state's eldercare people--there's probably an organization that can intervene to ensure that elderly people are protected, and/or give you advice on what to do.
That's not a bad idea, really.  Unfortunately, all the lawyers I've ever talked to demand a retainer before they will tell me if they can help me. :\

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #706 on: September 11, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
That's not a bad idea, really.  Unfortunately, all the lawyers I've ever talked to demand a retainer before they will tell me if they can help me. :\

Luigi, does your employer offer an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? If they do, they can find you a lawyer to talk to that shouldn't cost you anything, at least at the beginning.

EAP is something that I'm sure a lot of people either don't know about or just don't use. I need to call mine, actually, because my husband and I need to get wills drawn up.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

I'm planning on starting with my first hive next year as a hobby.  Can you elaborate a bit on what kind of scale you would need to make it a business?  I live on a third of an acre in suburbia, where would I put all the hives necessary?

Bees are awesome. We are bordering on off-topic here but I would say around 50 hives are needed if you want to be profitable with honey. That's waaaay more than your suburban backyard can take. You can do a bit better if you sell bees instead of honey. We have sunk about $300 into each hive. I consider it entertainment. After three years I am looking to make it a sustainable net-zero cost. I'm not thinking this is a quick money maker but rather a way to keep a hobby from beeing expensive. You need multiple hives and some extra equipment to be able to be self-sustaining. Whatever you do, join your local bee club, best $20 I have spent! I also pay a bit extra to buy supplies from a local guy - the prices are slightly higher, but the advice is free (and priceless!)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

I wouldn't be the person to ask, I'm afraid. I used to work for a state university as a county extension agent, which is how I met the guy who had 5,000 hives. He was the biggest beekeeper in the whole state. The county extension agent in a neighboring county was also a beekeeper, and I understand that he turned a small profit from his hives. I recall that he had a few dozen. He also made mead and sold it at local wineries.

I would suggest that you contact your local extension service - the local agent will probably not be an expert, but should have the resources to get you started and put you in touch with the right people. You probably have a state beekeeper's association as well that would also be a good resource.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »

I wouldn't be the person to ask, I'm afraid. I used to work for a state university as a county extension agent, which is how I met the guy who had 5,000 hives. He was the biggest beekeeper in the whole state. The county extension agent in a neighboring county was also a beekeeper, and I understand that he turned a small profit from his hives. I recall that he had a few dozen. He also made mead and sold it at local wineries.

I would suggest that you contact your local extension service - the local agent will probably not be an expert, but should have the resources to get you started and put you in touch with the right people. You probably have a state beekeeper's association as well that would also be a good resource.

<3 the local extension agent.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »
Just got a big (20k ) raise, and in my new department on the first day I overheard my fellow workers:

"Blah, blah, blah, yeah and I want the new X designer bag"
"Yeah I'm going to get the X designer bag too, etc"
"(laughing) yeah we just have to wait until next payday because I'm so broke!"

Um. WHAT IS HAPPENING? For all the shit I read about my horrible generation (I'm 26) I mostly hear this kind of talk from people over the ages of 35-40 in my office. They spend $6000 on a handbag they don't bat an eye, lunch out everyday, don't bat an eye, I bring my own coffee in a jar to work or mention not having cable and they all scream HIPSTER!!!! Yeah, I'm not a hipster, I'm aware of the results of stupid spending. By the way, since when did using recycled bags and making things from scratch mean hipster? My 90 year old grandma does that so I guess she must be a hipster too.

Well young people doing things old people do is typical hipster.  Like spinning your own yarn:

Trust me, spinning and knitting are not mustachian hobbies. Y'all would be lining up to give me face-punches if I told you how much just spent on yarn for one pair of socks.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #711 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:09 AM »
Haha, I love how this whole thread got derailed. Sorry everyone!
*Bows, tips hat, jumps on old timey bicycle and rides off into the sunset while playing a kazoo*

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #712 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
No kidding, peanut butter! Thankfully, I have enough stash to last me a decade or more. I'm cold sheeping at the moment.

I just fell off the cold sheep wagon. Well, it was the first yarn purchase I'd made all year...hand dyed cashmere/merino/nylon sock yarn.

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Well, to get the thread back on topic:

Overhead circa 2009:
Set the scene, office building, me bored out of my mind, hence listening to co-worker conversations:

Lady 1(with indignation): I can't belive the bank raised the interest rate on my HELOC. (Complainypants voice) We made our plans based on our interest rate.

Lady 2: I know, who do the banks think they are. How can they just raise rates.

Me (thinking to myself): Well, if a quarter point interest rate increase screws up your plans that much, you are in serious trouble. I wonder if you even realize the bank could demand full repayment of the loan AT ANY TIME.

Not overheard at work, but asmusing none the less:

Guy we are buying a barely used double stroller from: Yeah, I saw you driving a TDI Sportwagen. We were thinking about buying one too, but we bought a truck instead. Gas doesn't matter to me anyways.

My wife was barely able to contain her laughter.

Before this I had actually said: I want to make sure it fits in the trunk. I don't want to have to buy a truck to carry a stroller...

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »
Gas Money doesn't matter to me anyways.

Fixed it for truck guy.  ;-)

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #715 on: September 17, 2013, 03:07:49 AM »
I just had a stunning experience at work that made my cherish my mustachian ways.   I'm in my company IS department,  I have enough to retire but I'm hanging in a little longer to save more and make retirement more comfortable as long as I can make the job work for me.   As soon as they go crazy with demands and long hours they are welcome to fire me.

Anyway,  Our CIO was recently told to seek employment elsewhere (any corporate type knows the drill!).   The man is about 57 and I'm pretty sure he's made in excess of 200k per year for at least a decade.   How can someone in this position not have accumulated at least 1 million is beyond me!

Anyway, he's whining that if he doesn't find an equivalent job in 6 months he's broke?   WHAT???????

He has two houses and a boat.   Truly pathetic way to live if you ask me and now at 57 you can't feel secure after a termination!!! Why do people make these choices.   Ofcourse, I'm forced to listen and nod sympathetically instead of telling him he is a dumbass.

Thanks for letting me rant!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:30:23 PM by kft4502 »

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #716 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
I have a coworker in her 60s, affected with gout, walking with a cane, still living the corporate nightmare!  Nice lady, but listening to her talk about spending makes me want to scream!

Anyway, she has a Lexus.   She recently told me she spent $1200 to have the maps updated in her on board GPS.   HELLO!!! could you buy a $29 stand alone GPS unit on Groupon goods or something!    What's wrong with people!

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:10 AM »
I used to work with a lady who had a decade old Mercedes that she had sunk 7k in repairs in the previous month and the car was still stranding her.

I asked her why she was spending so much on the repairs when the car seems to be end of life.   Her actual reply "I can't afford 90K for a new one"   I was dumbfounded !  When did a 90k car become necessary????

About two months before this I had paid 7k cash for a Chevy Aveo , previous rental with 38K miles.  I bet I can make this car last a decade and at least 5 years before major repairs.    At least my transportation is reliable !  HA!

I think I look really smart driving my Aveo!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #718 on: September 17, 2013, 03:53:45 AM »
Not overheard, but said directly to me: "$12 a day for parking is really cheap. At that price it's a much better choice than paying $5 for the train".

This guy also buys breakfast and lunch most days. What really gets me? He's actually very clever and has demonstrated that he's able to manage money - he and his wife arranged it so that she could be a SAHM, because that fits with their childraising values. Awesome! So why can't he work out that $12 for parking, $10 for breakfast and $10 for lunch every working day is $7680 a year, i.e. an amount of money that should not be wasted on crap?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #719 on: September 17, 2013, 03:59:25 AM »
And another one: chatting to a girl close to my age, discussing our plans to get married, buy houses, have babies etc (as you do).

She told me: "It's good that you're so frugal, I'm very frugal too. We're so alike in how we manage our money!"

Ahem. I'm planning a backyard wedding with 30 people, she's throwing a $30k destination wedding. I brown bag it, she buys coffee, lunch and a $6 juice almost every day. I walk home from work and do exercise DVDs, she belongs to a spendy gym, pays for personal training sessions AND pays for yoga classes because the ones at her gym aren't challenging enough. On the weekend I cook a nice meal with my BF and we watch a DVD from the library. She goes out to fancy dinners and pays about $20 per person to see a movie at the cinema (yep, that's how much it costs in Australia).

I'm starting to think that most people are living in a fantasy land.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #720 on: September 17, 2013, 04:21:58 AM »
I just had a stunning experience at work that made my cherish my mustachian ways.   I'm in my company IS department,  I have enough to retire but I'm hanging in a little longer to save more and make retirement more comfortable as long as I can make the job work for me.   As soon as they go crazy with demands and long hours they are welcome to fire me.

Anyway,  Our CIO was recently told to seek employment elsewhere (any corporate type knows the drill!).   The man is about 57 and I'm pretty sure he's made in excess of 200k per year for at least a decade.   How can someone in this position not have accumulated at least 1 million is beyond me!

Anyway, he's wining that if he doesn't find an equivalent job in 6 months he's broke?   WHAT???????

He has two houses and a boat.   Truly pathetic way to live if you ask me and now at 57 you can't feel secure after a termination!!! Why do people make these choices.   Ofcourse, I'm forced to listen and nod sympathetically instead of telling him he is a dumbass.

Thanks for letting me rant!

I bet he is unusual in being able to go 6 months. Sad.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #721 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:11 AM »
"Well, I don't like our tap water, so I drive to France (10 miles one way) to buy bottled water."
After asked if he combines it with some other business:
"No, I just drive there for the water, but I save money because they have no deposit on the bottle and you can just throw them away"

How is that saving money in any way? It's not like the bottle deposit is costing you tons of oppertuinity costs at 0.25€/bottle.

I'm pretty sure he's made in excess of 200k per year for at least a decade.
I wish I would make that kind of money, I would be retired in no time :D

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #722 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:26 AM »
It's not truly antimustachian, but some time ago I was chatting with one of my lab technicians and she mentioned that she isn't saving anything (no debts either) other than paying the highest allowed amount to the pension fund. I asked why and isn't she worried that something might happen in the future or isn't she worried that there won't be enough money when she is old (currently in her late 20-ties). She gave a somewhat reasonable answer that there is nothing to save for:

- pension will be 80-90% of her current salary (about average for the country) if she work till age 63-65
- education is free
- any imaginable health care cost is covered either by insurance which can't be dropped or by government
- old age long term care is covered by government if you don't have your own money
- unemployment is covered by insurance (18 months at 80% previous salary)
- if it becomes really bad rent and food assistance is also provided
- getting a new job for lab technicians is not difficult (current unemployment in Switzerland is only 3%)
- inheritance from grandparents and parents is expected
- not interested in retiring early unless as SAHM

The girl who "doesn't want to retire early anyway".   This could have been me 20 years ago.  I loved the job then,  but when I fell out of love I fell out hard.   It's better to have the savings and have options for your life.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:42:15 AM by kft4502 »

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #723 on: September 17, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »
Sometimes I say I can't "afford" something, even though I technically can, just because it's easier than saying "I could afford it, but the price is outrageous and I don't feel it's a good value for me."

I usually just say "that is fucking insane!" On a totally unrelated note I have also been called an asshole :)

I only say that in my head , trying to avoid being called an asshole...  Glad I found this forum to vent!

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
*co-worker who talks on the phone constantly, so I know she doesn't have $1000 in the bank, has credit card debt, a new car loan, a mortgage that's at the top of their price range, and yet thinks she's the adult and responsible one (all because she popped out a kid, but that's another story).

"I can't get in and out of Target without spending $100"
"Shopping is my hobby" .... "I can't do X because we don't have the money"
"My husband spends so much, it's causing all our problems" .... "I spend $1000/month on food and a lot of it goes to waste"
"Gas is so expensive" .  . . in her giant SUV while driving 45 minutes to work.

The cognitive dissonance is killing me!!!

This one took me back.   During a stint of unemployment I took a job at Target for about one month.   Your jaw would drop on the floor with  the crap people bought!   I had one lady who would come in weekly and buy at least $500 in useless crap (cheap clothes , party supplies etc) EVERY WEEK!   Then she would mention she was headed to COSTCO next.   If you drop $500 at Target WTF! are you spending at COSTCO.   We were required to push credit cards, she said "my husband would kill me".   I was surprised he hadn't killed her anyway.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #725 on: September 17, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »
Saw this on Facebook.....

"decisions decisions...  File an insurance claim and pay a $100 deductible to get a new iPhone 4S or go a week without a phone and upgrade to the new 5s for $200.  Hmmmmmmm"

Other comments she added to the post:

...someone suggested she just use her upgrade....

"Yeah but I might want to save the upgrade in case the iPhone 6 come out and is supposed to be as awesome as they are predicting"

....decides to wait for the 5......

"I guess I'm sold.  Although I think I might still get the 4s then sell it :)"

"Except I just found out the insurance deductible is $170, not $90 like I thought"

That's right... $170 INSURANCE DEDUCTIBLE..  Paying $10 insurance a month for a phone with a $170 deductible.     

Why do people throw their money away!?!?!?!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #726 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »
There is now a commercial for Verizon cell phones

$0 down and convenient 24 month payment plan!

A payment plan for a phone . . . . . I have no words.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Isn't that what the standard postpaid model right now is anyways?

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
Yea, that's why phones are so 'cheap' at $100-$200 because you're paying for the rest of the cost in the phone plan. 

I for one bone a kyocera rise, not the best phone but it does what I need want, and I paid about $80 for it.  I've 'saved' ~$60 so far not buying insurance, almost enough to buy a new phone if I wanted.  I paid $80 and I have owned it outright since I put that money down.

Sad thing is, I didn't get the best deal out there, but it was far better than most people do.

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: September 17, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
There is now a commercial for Verizon cell phones

$0 down and convenient 24 month payment plan!

A payment plan for a phone . . . . . I have no words.

I heard this commercial the other day.  Mind-blowing.  I wonder if phones are becoming the new cars in terms of people thinking they should always have a payment. 

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #730 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
I heard this commercial the other day.  Mind-blowing.  I wonder if phones are becoming the new cars in terms of people thinking they should always have a payment.

Always have a payment new one.

Actually, the auto industry is blaming phones for a lack of new car sales to gen Y. This actually does make a lot of sense, if you are paying $100 + a month for your cell plan.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
Yup. I think the younger set crave, and judge each other by, technology (e.g., phones) more than they do cars. At least from what I can observe about teens/young adults in my family.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Okay... heard this today, had to share it here.

One of my friends/co-workers has a 16-year-old daughter, who lives with her mother.

He went to visit her one weekend, and saw a brand-new 2013 Cadillac CTS in the driveway.

He asked her "Did your mom get a new car?"

His daughter said "No, granddad (my friend's dad) bought it for me to drive back and forth to school with."

A $60,000 car. Leather, all the options, chrome package, brand spanking new. She didn't have to pay a dime for it.

I mentioned the guy's dad was insane to give a $60K car to a teenager, and he started going on about how responsible she was, and so forth... I just had to shake my head. I explained to him how much maintenance on that thing costs, and so on, but he just kept saying "If I had the money, I'd have done it..."

*disclaimer* the grandfather has his money from family casino investments... he has tons of money. I just think giving a car like that to a teenager (and a new driver, at that) is probably the most ridiculous waste of money I can think of, not to mention what it's teaching them about materialism.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #733 on: September 18, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
That 60K at age 16 in the stock market could be a serious head start to FI.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: September 18, 2013, 05:13:55 AM »
What 16 year old wants a Cadillac anyway? 

So dumb.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #735 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »
Read on Facebook (and made me kinda sad)

Person was asking if anyone could loan her $2200 to have her daughters wisdom teeth removed.

Mind you She and her Husband are late 30's.  They are self employed and earn a good amount of money (at least it appears so from the outside, I'm not privy to their actual earnings.)

The worst part was in the comments from a 40 something lady. She wrote:

"Who has that kind of money just laying around?"

Hopefully they figured something out for the kid...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #736 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Read on Facebook (and made me kinda sad)

Person was asking if anyone could loan her $2200 to have her daughters wisdom teeth removed.

Mind you She and her Husband are late 30's.  They are self employed and earn a good amount of money (at least it appears so from the outside, I'm not privy to their actual earnings.)

The worst part was in the comments from a 40 something lady. She wrote:

"Who has that kind of money just laying around?"

Hopefully they figured something out for the kid...

Let me crack open my piggy bank!

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #737 on: September 18, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
I work for a brokerage where the retirement specialists like to gamble daytrading penny stocks. Haven't seen them turn a profit yet

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #738 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
Today we got backpay from a delayed contract negotiation. 

'Joe': "Hey did you know we got our backpay today?"
Ottawa: "Yeah, and I've already used it all to buy some more investments"
'Joe': "Wow, that's risky"
Ottawa: "What will you be doing with it?"
'Joe': "Buying a snowblower and also a shed to put it in"
Ottawa: ....

EDIT: Conversation was continued after I posted this...so edited to reflect the last three exchanges!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:35:54 AM by Ottawa »

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #739 on: September 20, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
But you could have used that to buy stuff.

As some of you might be aware, GTA 5 was released recently.
A co-worker mentioned that he would like to buy it, but has no console to play it on. He said the PS3 is rather cheap now at 200€, so he might buy one just for that one game.
I ended up lending him my XBox 360 I should never have bought myself (only paid 100€ for it).

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #740 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
But you could have used that to buy stuff.

He did!  See my edit...the conversation continued after I posted!

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #741 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
So he is not only buying an asset, but also protecting it. Very wise indeed! How many days of snow do you get per year?

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #742 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
So he is not only buying an asset, but also protecting it. Very wise indeed! How many days of snow do you get per year?

Assets produce income.  Everything else (that causes money to flow out) is a liability.  That snowblower went down in value between 5-20% the moment he brings it out of the store.  It'll cost money to maintain and run.  Hardly an asset in my book.  (Of course, it does have utility value, but that's a different matter).

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #743 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »

Assets produce income.  Everything else (that causes money to flow out) is a liability.  That snowblower went down in value between 5-20% the moment he brings it out of the store.  It'll cost money to maintain and run.  Hardly an asset in my book.  (Of course, it does have utility value, but that's a different matter).

Sounds like you're assuming he doesn't live in Alaska and that he's not planning on plowing friends' driveways for money.  ;)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
Unfortunately there is no positive spin on this one...

Location is Ottawa, which does get snow...but my $19.99 snow shovel purchased 8 years ago does the job with no problem at all.  Also, I get a good workout for free. 

'Joe' will not be making money on the purchase...by clearing out granny driveways.  BTW, if I were to do this as a business I would still use a shovel; fare more convenient and pretty much as fast!  If you've ever seen a snowblower in action...they are remarkably slow. 

The consumerist mind set is to blame of course.  It's sort of like the "Why bike when you can drive?" or "Why make dinner at home when you can go out?" line of reasoning.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Unfortunately there is no positive spin on this one...

Location is Ottawa, which does get snow...but my $19.99 snow shovel purchased 8 years ago does the job with no problem at all.  Also, I get a good workout for free. 

'Joe' will not be making money on the purchase...by clearing out granny driveways.  BTW, if I were to do this as a business I would still use a shovel; fare more convenient and pretty much as fast!  If you've ever seen a snowblower in action...they are remarkably slow. 

You have never had a 150 ft driveway to shovel after a foot or more of snow (not counting the drifts that could get insane) O.o   

There are times when a snowblower is indeed the answer.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »

You have never had a 150 ft driveway to shovel after a foot or more of snow (not counting the drifts that could get insane) O.o   

There are times when a snowblower is indeed the answer.

You are straying outside the scope of the argument. Possibly bordering on complainypants syndrome...in the ANTIMUSTACHIAN WALL OF SHAME AND COMEDY!
However:
1) No I have not cleared a 150 ft driveway, and neither has 'Joe' - who has a 20 foot driveway. 
2) Nobody in a city has a 150 ft driveway = no reason for a snowblower in any city.
3) A hand driven snowblower would be a really bad idea for a 150 foot driveway with a foot of snow.
4) What did people ever do before snowblowers? 

Snowblowers (and their shelters) are very antimustachian.  That is the point.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
We are aware that the purchase is stupid, everybody is making fun of Joe! :)
One could have guessed the location from your nickname...

I hear some people here are still at work, anyone heard anything new to wonder about?

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
Before any further snowblower questions...or comments...read today's MMM post!

:-)

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »

4) What did people ever do before snowblowers? 

And what did people do before indoor plumbing? I do not want to know O.o ...I was just trying to say that there are some cases where a snowblower is not inherently "antimustachian." ;)   Of course it's silly in the city - as is a riding lawnmower. But in the country they can be very helpful and worth it, in my opinion.  When you talk about gaining hours of free time to spend with family and friends instead of shoveling or lawn care...makes sense.

oh! I have a overheard from yesterday. One of my coworkers drives in from another state (partially because he "hates" this state), his commute is an hour on a good day, and he just moved to add another twenty minutes to the commute! "I figure my commute's already bad, so another twenty minutes doesn't matter."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!