Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253251 times)

JustTrying

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6800 on: February 11, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
Hubs and I both just received simultaneous facepunches in our workplaces this morning.

My VP of FINANCE (mid 50's) just walked up to me and goes "Wow, I've learned more about the 401k system from you in the past week then I ever knew before".  How did this come about you may ask, we are switching our 401k from a super expensive mutual fund company to Vanguard and I asked him if we could 1.  chose our new Vangaurd funds prior to the black out period for transfer and 2.  Would this effect my front loading in any way that I needed to know about....he didn't realize you could contribute 100% of your paycheck to your 401k.

My husbands new COL just called him into the office for counseling (standard in the military).  Due to the nature of his job in the military there is a BIG push to make sure that people in the unit are financially stable both for peace of mind, and to lesser the chance for corruption/bribes etc, financial talk is part of every briefing and counseling pretty much. 

COL "So, is everything OK financially"
DH:  "Yes sir"
COL:  "You know, having savings is an important part of unit and family stability, what are your savings plan for the future"
DH:  "well sir, right now we are front loading my wifes 401k to max it out for the year over the next couple of months, then we will do the same with my TSP (he's heading to a 10month schooling here in a bit so no chance of a deployment again this year)"
COL:  "That's impressive that you can save $5000 dollars in such a short period of time!"
DH:  "Uh, sir, I think you are thinking of the IRA limits of 5500, 401k is 18k this year" (and yes, I think he should have just kept his mouth shut)
COL: *Blink, Blink* "Oh...well what are your other long term goals"
DH:  "Well, we are on plan to hit 7 figures in the next couple of years, after that I will finish out my 20 and then we plan on retiring."
COL:  " So it sounds like you are setting yourself up for an easy transition into your next job, that's great!  Wait...Did you say SEVEN figures?!?!"
COL:  *Blink Blink*  "Uh, ok so I guess I don't have to do these financial discussions with you in the future, you want to write me up a questionnaire of things I SHOULD be asking your coworkers?"
DH:  "Uh, I guess I can put something together"

Yea, pretty sure he just stepped into a pile of something he wants no part of.

I think it's actually really cool that his colonel asked him for advice!

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #6801 on: February 12, 2015, 05:00:29 AM »
Maybe they already agreed to get married and they’re just staging this for friends and family? Which would be worse, really, but at least then he’s not wasting $7K for a “no.”

One of the most uncomfortable things I ever witnessed was a public proposal by a guy to a coworker at her going-away party. She clearly wanted to say no, but said yes anyway because she didn’t want to embarrass him in front of everybody. I heard later that they didn’t get married.
Reasons why I've never proposed in public, #1-n, right there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0y-pHZUyk

I especially like #4.  If you have seen the whole thing the announcer feels like a complete heel.  (after commenting to his buddy how he's seen too many of these) "You know what I'm just waiting once for the gal to say no! har-har"....(she says no, runs away)..."Uh...you know I was just joking"

I couldn't watch to the end. It was just too painful.

It's a mystery to me why anyone thinks this is a good idea. Even if the other person wants to marry you, you've made it all about yourself and the audience, rather than it being a special moment for the two of you. It makes you look like a gigantic narcissist who doesn't actually care about the other person's feelings. I guess some people like being proposed to like that, though.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6802 on: February 12, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
A few years ago the CC company increased my limit by $1000, I always looked at the "credit available" line on my webbanking as that's the only one that's updated up to the minute (it's weird, we're evaluating CC options). So having checked my credit available amount I used my card, only a few days later to figure out that I spent an extra couple hundred bucks. I'm a lot more ontop of my finances now, but I am still adamant that they not increase the limit and disable that touch to pay BS, my wife and I are still in the stuble stages of Mustache and keeping a low credit limit is crucial right now.
Keep flexing! Someday you too can have a credit limit that would buy a low-end new car, and never be tempted to abuse it... >.<
It's worth having just for the rewards, if you ever get the chance to put a major purchase on it (as long as it's something you need and can afford).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6803 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
I couldn't watch to the end. It was just too painful.

Quite painful.  They ended with one that wasn't a fail though.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #6804 on: February 12, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
we got our 4th Quarter 401K Statements today at the office.

CW: I'm so excited to see my first return on my 401K money.
Me: What do you mean your 'first' return? Haven't you worked here like 10 years?
CW: Yeah. But I just signed up for the 401K plan a few months ago.

*head desk* This company provides a crazy good matching benefit that vests immediately. So CW has been missing out on 10 years of matching.

Meanwhile other CW comes over and we start comparing rates of return. I happen to see her 401K total balance is less than half of mine. This CW has worked here at least 7 years. I've worked here a little over 3.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6805 on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
CW: Eating out everyday is just worth it. Sure, at the end of the year you feel terrible and shocked about how much money you spent, but it's good to socialize and you have to eat anyway!

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #6806 on: February 12, 2015, 07:41:17 PM »
Girl at work a few weeks ago: "I cant afford to live where i want."

Last week: buys beach house with friends. Gets congratulated by another worker, "now thats when you know youre in another income bracket."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6807 on: February 13, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
Guy at work probably spends $10 to $50 a week on coffee. Now, this isn’t that bad when you consider he is likely investing a large chunk of his income into the market, his house, and his education, and combine it with his income, and the true mean is probably about $15… But it still seems high to me. Interesting for me, because I do like to go out and get coffee about once a week, but here there are about 3 people that always want to go and are always inviting me. I’m getting better at saying “no” though (new job, I figured for awhile I should participate whenever they invite me… slowly backing out of it to about 1-2 times a week).

Now, I do something unmastachian fairly regularly. I grab a donut from the donut van probably 3 times a week. But I will do this until I am broke (and at $6 a week, I’m ok), they have to be made of crack and unicorn horn dust. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #6808 on: February 13, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
This is an OH@W and V-Day cross over, but I just overheard my co-worker berating FTD for not delivering flowers to his wife in accordance with their "guarantee".  Factors making this conversation rediculous:

1)  There are still 3 hours left in the day.
2)  Wife works on the same military installation, perhaps 2 miles from our office.
3)  Between our office and hers are several PX type stores which will have flowers available.
4)  They take separate vehicles into work so he could have stopped at a store on the way into work to get a lovely bouquet and still had the "surprise" factor.
5)  He wants his $69 back (holy crap!)

I can hear his blood pressure going up every moment he continues to drag this conversation out.

Wonder where the AED is....

RagingRanter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6809 on: February 13, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
Co-worker A (beaming with pride), "We used Molly Maid for the first time this weekend. They're awesome. They did such a good job cleaning."
Co-worker B: "That's awesome. I've been thinking about using them. How much do they charge?"
Co-woker A: "$95 per hour. Sounds like a lot, but you get two of them. And you wouldn't believe how much work they did in 3 hours. We're having them in once per month for sure."

So Raging Ranter (that's me) overhears this sitting at his desk, quickly punches the numbers into Excel, multiplies $95 x 3 hours x 12 times per year x 5 years and comes up with..... $17,100. Of completely non-deductible expenses. And I'm not counting any return on investment, or any tax deduction for an RRSP contribution.

I nearly shit my pants. I did not even bother getting involved in the conversation. Did not ask a single question. Did not want to hear it. This guy is an analyst, drives a modest car, and is fairly smart and very good with numbers. It left me flabbergasted. I just sat there trying not to shit my pants.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:54:27 PM by RagingRanter »

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6810 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Co-worker A (beaming with pride), "We used Molly Maid for the first time this weekend. They're awesome. They did such a good job cleaning."
Co-worker B: "That's awesome. I've been thinking about using them. How much do they charge?"
Co-woker A: "$95 per hour. Sounds like a lot, but you get two of them. And you wouldn't believe how much work they did in 3 hours. We're having them in once per month for sure."

So Raging Ranter (that's me) overhears this sitting at his desk, quickly punches the numbers into Excel, multiplies $95 x 3 hours x 12 times per year x 5 years and comes up with..... $17,100. Of completely non-deductible expenses. And I'm not counting any return on investment, or any tax deduction for an RRSP contribution.

I nearly shit my pants. I did not even bother getting involved in the conversation. Did not ask a single question. Did not want to hear it. This guy is an analyst, drives a modest car (older civic) and is fairly smart and very good with numbers. It left me flabbergasted. I just sat their trying not to shit my pants.

95$/hour for 2 is...95k$/year each!!! I will continue to scrub my toilet cuz my "real" job is only 80k$/year, gross.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6811 on: February 13, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »

I nearly shit my pants. I did not even bother getting involved in the conversation. Did not ask a single question. Did not want to hear it. This guy is an analyst, drives a modest car (older civic) and is fairly smart and very good with numbers. It left me flabbergasted. I just sat their trying not to shit my pants.

95$/hour for 2 is...95k$/year each!!! I will continue to scrub my toilet cuz my "real" job is only 80k$/year, gross.

That's only working time, thought -- they also have to drive from house to house.  But still, it's not a bad living.

Don't even ask what it costs to clean your shit-filled pants

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #6812 on: February 13, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »

That's only working time, thought -- they also have to drive from house to house.  But still, it's not a bad living.

I really, really doubt the actual maids get paid much, if any, more than minimum wage.

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Molly-Maid/salaries?from=reviews

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6813 on: February 14, 2015, 05:47:21 AM »
This is old, but I still get a kick out of it.

My first summer internship when I was 19, I was getting paid something like $13 an hour. Not mega bucks but excellent experience, and it was in the city my parents lived in so my expenses were zero.

Another intern started at the same time I did. The first Monday after we got our first paychecks, I walked in to the bathroom and saw him washing his hands. He was all excited because with his first paycheck he had gone and bought a TV.

I walked into the stall, and he repeated a few times that it "felt good to blow the money. felt good." I didn't respond, because (1) who talks to you while you're pooping? (2) what do you say to that?

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #6814 on: February 14, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Hubs and I both just received simultaneous facepunches in our workplaces this morning.

My VP of FINANCE (mid 50's) just walked up to me and goes "Wow, I've learned more about the 401k system from you in the past week then I ever knew before".  How did this come about you may ask, we are switching our 401k from a super expensive mutual fund company to Vanguard and I asked him if we could 1.  chose our new Vangaurd funds prior to the black out period for transfer and 2.  Would this effect my front loading in any way that I needed to know about....he didn't realize you could contribute 100% of your paycheck to your 401k.

My husbands new COL just called him into the office for counseling (standard in the military).  Due to the nature of his job in the military there is a BIG push to make sure that people in the unit are financially stable both for peace of mind, and to lesser the chance for corruption/bribes etc, financial talk is part of every briefing and counseling pretty much. 

COL:  "You know, having savings is an important part of unit and family stability, what are your savings plan for the future"
DH:  "well sir, right now we are front loading my wifes 401k to max it out for the year over the next couple of months, then we will do the same with my TSP (he's heading to a 10month schooling here in a bit so no chance of a deployment again this year)"
COL:  "That's impressive that you can save $5000 dollars in such a short period of time!"
DH:  "Uh, sir, I think you are thinking of the IRA limits of 5500, 401k is 18k this year" (and yes, I think he should have just kept his mouth shut)
DH:  "Well, we are on plan to hit 7 figures in the next couple of years, after that I will finish out my 20 and then we plan on retiring."
COL:  " So it sounds like you are setting yourself up for an easy transition into your next job, that's great!  Wait...Did you say SEVEN figures?!?!"
COL:  *Blink Blink*  "Uh, ok so I guess I don't have to do these financial discussions with you in the future, you want to write me up a questionnaire of things I SHOULD be asking your coworkers?"

You're probably under investigation now.  It's "impossible" to have that much saved up, so expect them to go trawling through all your finances for the last decade trying to figure out when you accepted bribes from North Korea or embezzled from someplace or another.

RagingRanter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6815 on: February 14, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »

I really, really doubt the actual maids get paid much, if any, more than minimum wage.

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Molly-Maid/salaries?from=reviews

They certainly don't make $95 between the two of them (i.e. $47.50 each). But I don't think they make minimum wage either, at least not in Canada. Molly Maid is a franchise arrangement. You purchase a franchise for an upfront fee, then pay a monthly franchise fee besides. Many who do this would work themselves as a maid, and maybe hire one or two people to help. Or, the franchise could be co-owned between several family members or friends or whatever, and the owners do all the work. I think some of the franchise owners make quite a bit of money, if they're willing to hustle and land some good contracts and do much of the work themselves.

I suspect in the US, especially the southern states, the wages for this kind of work would be a lot lower, given the massive numbers of illegals who are competing for maid work. So it is probably a lot more common to buy a franchise and let employees do all the work. 

As an aside, an old roommate of mine about 20 years ago briefly toyed with the idea of buying a franchise. I thought it was funny, because the lazy bastard never did any cleaning around our apartment. :)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #6816 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
Co-worker I have mentioned in posts before had a new gem yesterday. Guy went from flipping burgers getting minimum wage to making ~$45,000 (no rent, lives with his grandmother) and has 2 credit cards maxed out. He tried to buy a motorcycle the other weekend but he was denied due to his credit score which he said was around 560.

Anyways I get a call in the office from Kay Jewelers, asking for employment verification for said individual. He wanted.... no, his girlfriend wanted him to buy an engagement ring for her. He didn't have the money, his cards were maxed out, so he took out and was approved for a loan from the store for $4,000 at 24% interest.

He is making more money than he ever has in his life, he is not paying rent, and his net worth just keeps going further in the red. Also he cheated on the girlfriend he got the ring for a few months ago... needless to say I am pretty sure this is headed for disaster.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6817 on: February 14, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
Co-worker I have mentioned in posts before had a new gem yesterday. Guy went from flipping burgers getting minimum wage to making ~$45,000 (no rent, lives with his grandmother) and has 2 credit cards maxed out. He tried to buy a motorcycle the other weekend but he was denied due to his credit score which he said was around 560.

Anyways I get a call in the office from Kay Jewelers, asking for employment verification for said individual. He wanted.... no, his girlfriend wanted him to buy an engagement ring for her. He didn't have the money, his cards were maxed out, so he took out and was approved for a loan from the store for $4,000 at 24% interest.

He is making more money than he ever has in his life, he is not paying rent, and his net worth just keeps going further in the red. Also he cheated on the girlfriend he got the ring for a few months ago... needless to say I am pretty sure this is headed for disaster.

Get the popcorn ready!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6818 on: February 14, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »

Get the popcorn ready!

I woud be soooo tempted to say "I've never heard of that person" just to stop the bleeding a bit.

RagingRanter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6819 on: February 14, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
Also he cheated on the girlfriend he got the ring for a few months ago... needless to say I am pretty sure this is headed for disaster.

Thus the need for a $4000 ring. Otherwise, she might have been perfectly happy with...... a $3800 ring. Cheating cost him $200. Sucka!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6820 on: February 14, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
A co-worker that I have mentioned in this thread before got back from an overseas holiday last week. We got paid on friday and she asked if she could have an early lunch once the money was in her account so that she could pay her bills asap. She came back from lunch and announced that her whole monthly pay was gone.

I then caught her shopping online at her desk for clothing...

This is the same co-worker that doesn't pay rent because her mother pays it for her. Same co-worker who with a straight face asked me "how do you avoid speeding?" when I asked how much she spends every year on speeding and traffic infringement fines. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6821 on: February 15, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »
A co-worker that I have mentioned in this thread before got back from an overseas holiday last week. We got paid on friday and she asked if she could have an early lunch once the money was in her account so that she could pay her bills asap. She came back from lunch and announced that her whole monthly pay was gone.

I then caught her shopping online at her desk for clothing...

This is the same co-worker that doesn't pay rent because her mother pays it for her. Same co-worker who with a straight face asked me "how do you avoid speeding?" when I asked how much she spends every year on speeding and traffic infringement fines.
Did you answer "get a bike and sell your car"?

summersundries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6822 on: February 15, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »
Coworker, who spent the last 9 months mopping about how poor she is and how she has to cut her mat leave in half due to her poverty (she earns the same as me... Almost 6 figures).  Her husband has a decent job too.
While she was visiting with the new baby,
 Me "oh what a nice hat and scarf you have, did you make that?"
Her " yes I hand crocheted it myself last week"
Me "wow, you just had the baby a month ago, how do you find time to crochet with 3 kids under 4, one of which is a newborn"
Her "oh I send them all to daycare still, it's just such important socialization."
Me: internal facepalm "so your still coming back in a few months?"
Her "oh yes, I have cut all the expenses I can think of, we just don't have enough money"

Lady, you are paying someone else your entire mat leave benefit to take care of your kids for you all day while you sit at home and relax, what do you think mat leave is for?  It's not a year long paid vacation you know!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6823 on: February 15, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
Coworker, who spent the last 9 months mopping about how poor she is and how she has to cut her mat leave in half due to her poverty (she earns the same as me... Almost 6 figures).  Her husband has a decent job too.
Me "wow, you just had the baby a month ago, how do you find time to crochet with 3 kids under 4, one of which is a newborn"
Her "oh I send them all to daycare still, it's just such important socialization."
Her "oh yes, I have cut all the expenses I can think of, we just don't have enough money"

Lady, you are paying someone else your entire mat leave benefit to take care of your kids for you all day while you sit at home and relax, what do you think mat leave is for?  It's not a year long paid vacation you know!

She probably has the baby at home with her....I hope?

cautiouslyunconventional

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6824 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
I started working again pretty recently (just graduated), and finally have something to contribute.

I work at a tech company, and one of the interns was talking about how her personal laptop's screen had broken and would cost $50 to fix. One of the full time devs and another guy (not sure if he was a full-time intern or salaried or what) were telling her she should buy a new one instead of fixing it. Something gave me the impression they were sorta giving her a hard time about it - like they thought she was being really silly for wanting to fix it or something. Even after she explained how the laptop is only a couple years old and otherwise still works fine, and doesn't have "mommy and daddy" paying her expenses. Full time guy says his parents aren't paying for him either.

At that point I'm just *internal facepalm*. The point that not everyone has money to drop on unnecessary upgrades went right over his head. Guess I just get frustrated with that "I'm making a good living, therefore everyone else is too" attitude. (As I understand it, intern coworker is doing alright for herself, but doesn't have much room to not be frugal. Still seemed rude of other coworker to be pressuring her to upgrade.)

It's also been kinda interesting seeing how frugality at this office differs from the company's other location. My office is in a lower COL city, while the larger office is in an exurb of NYC. People at the other office eat lunch out almost every day (but will eat the company's Friday free lunch in), and their lunch room doesn't even have recycling bins, at least that I could find. In my office people mostly eat in - but that's partly because there aren't a bunch of restaurants right across the street, and it's so cold outside that no one wants to be out there. And we have recycling bins, and some shared utensils and a mini dish washer. Peoples' attitudes seem a little less wasteful in general. Between that and most of our managers working at the other office (so people aren't as discreet about complaining, swear more, and there's no reason to pretend to be busy), this place feels a bit like a frontier town in comparison to the "empire" at headquarters.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6825 on: February 15, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »

Okay, Canada.  For the US, I would understand paying for child care while on mat leave, because it's 3 months long.  And here (dunno about Canada), you pay for a spot. So if you gave up child care on mat leave, you'd lose it and have to find new.

I was lucky that my 2nd child was born in the summer.  My big boy was in camp for the first month because I was still working. I had him home the next two months when the baby was born, and only sent him to camp for 2 weeks.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6826 on: February 16, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »

"Diamonds. How else can two months' salary debt slavery last forever?" <3

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #6827 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »

My first summer internship when I was 19, I was getting paid something like $13 an hour. Not mega bucks but excellent experience, and it was in the city my parents lived in so my expenses were zero.

Another intern started at the same time I did. The first Monday after we got our first paychecks, I walked in to the bathroom and saw him washing his hands. He was all excited because with his first paycheck he had gone and bought a TV.

I walked into the stall, and he repeated a few times that it "felt good to blow the money. felt good." I didn't respond, because (1) who talks to you while you're pooping? (2) what do you say to that?

Drop a loud one.  Follow it up with "Felt good to blow THAT.  felt good."

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6828 on: February 18, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »

Been a while since I laughed on these forums. Thanks, AH013!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6829 on: February 19, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
So my boss is a huge Manchester united fan. We work in New York. He flies out  to London 3-4 times a year and takes the train up to Manchester to watch a game. By his admission its $1500 to fly there and back, then you add on the cost of the hotels and the game. He only stays the weekend. He spends probably $7500 a year doing this. Antimustachian but still awesome.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #6830 on: February 19, 2015, 05:43:48 AM »
So my boss is a huge Manchester united fan. We work in New York. He flies out  to London 3-4 times a year and takes the train up to Manchester to watch a game. By his admission its $1500 to fly there and back, then you add on the cost of the hotels and the game. He only stays the weekend. He spends probably $7500 a year doing this. Antimustachian but still awesome.

Awesome? not if he's a manc.

Although it has to be said that I have done something similar in the past when airfares were cheaper and I'd stay with friends or family.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6831 on: February 19, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »

I don't like your boss.

/Arsenal fan

:D

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6832 on: February 19, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
I'm at work now and CW1 just told CW2 that a mile is way too far to walk.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6833 on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »

You're probably under investigation now.  It's "impossible" to have that much saved up, so expect them to go trawling through all your finances for the last decade trying to figure out when you accepted bribes from North Korea or embezzled from someplace or another.

Sadly, the background investigators already did this...we had to provide ALL documentation on finances for three years before he ever even got accepted into this organization, bank statements, brokerage statements, mortgage, credit cards etc.  They grilled him in his poly as to why he doesn't have a credit card in his name only, I kid you not...not having a credit card raised enough of a red flag to warrant poly questioning.  Now, the funny part is, we actually HAVE credit cards, I just added him to my account when we got married as a second card holder, the two he had in his name had been closed by the companies due to inactivity back in 09 we had found out.  And there were a number of questions on how we accumulated our level of assets I assure you.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #6834 on: February 19, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
This isnt really a story any one particular person did that was worth a face punch per se, but pretty interesting:

I'm on a conference call discussing a company we've taken into receivership and as they were discussing one of the employees at the company they were very careful not to "overwhelm" him with extra work because they considered him a flight risk. Why? Because they are under the impression he is financially independent (their words).

It took me back a bit to see just how employers view your financial independence as a bad thing. Then of course I was reminded of the fact that the lady sitting next to me didn't actually NEED her job because her husband makes $500k+ and so when hiring her they gave her the Manager title even though her background didn't warrant it at all, its just that in order to get her on board at the price she wanted, they had to give her the title. I, on the other hand, WAS a manager within the company (but different department) back in the US and they brought me in at a lower level. I partially blame myself for just grabbing the job, but I still believe what they did to me was slimy since if I had transferred departments within the US I would have still been at the manager level (while I agreed to take a step down for a short period of time, a couple weeks after I signed they informed me that it would take a year longer before I could be a manager again).

Moral of the story is that its amazing how when you DON'T need their money, they pay you more and work you less. I'm currently working on my resume for when my contract is up as I don't intend to re-sign haha.

Ive heard similar things. Even not hiring people because their parents are wealthy and they dont "need" to work.
I suggested each time maybe people who dont need to work there would be better and more happy than people who are almost slaves to their need to work there.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6835 on: February 19, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
I hope he's at least collecting the miles for this....

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6836 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
/face palm
I walked a mile to class every weekday freshman year...

This isnt really a story any one particular person did that was worth a face punch per se, but pretty interesting:

I'm on a conference call discussing a company we've taken into receivership and as they were discussing one of the employees at the company they were very careful not to "overwhelm" him with extra work because they considered him a flight risk. Why? Because they are under the impression he is financially independent (their words).

It took me back a bit to see just how employers view your financial independence as a bad thing. Then of course I was reminded of the fact that the lady sitting next to me didn't actually NEED her job because her husband makes $500k+ and so when hiring her they gave her the Manager title even though her background didn't warrant it at all, its just that in order to get her on board at the price she wanted, they had to give her the title. I, on the other hand, WAS a manager within the company (but different department) back in the US and they brought me in at a lower level. I partially blame myself for just grabbing the job, but I still believe what they did to me was slimy since if I had transferred departments within the US I would have still been at the manager level (while I agreed to take a step down for a short period of time, a couple weeks after I signed they informed me that it would take a year longer before I could be a manager again).

Moral of the story is that its amazing how when you DON'T need their money, they pay you more and work you less. I'm currently working on my resume for when my contract is up as I don't intend to re-sign haha.

Ive heard similar things. Even not hiring people because their parents are wealthy and they dont "need" to work.
I suggested each time maybe people who dont need to work there would be better and more happy than people who are almost slaves to their need to work there.

That and they're less susceptible to bribery so I would assume that would be a plus.....

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6837 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

Been a while since I laughed on these forums. Thanks, AH013!

+1. Man, that was funny.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6838 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
/face palm
I walked a mile to class every weekday freshman year...

That and they're less susceptible to bribery so I would assume that would be a plus.....

True, but at the same time, sometimes the hungry feeling that some companies want is diminished due to the person not needing the income as much. I don't know either way, I imagine that each person is different and it depends on their personality. There are rich kids that don't want to do any work and there are those that have a chip on their shoulder and so will work harder than anyone.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6839 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »
Uh oh. Guess that mile I walk every day from work to the bus station is accomplished through MAGIC.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #6840 on: February 19, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »

One of my favorite lines of all time:
"everyplace is within walking distance...if you have the time"

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6841 on: February 19, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

You'll be waiting a hell of a long time for either (a) continental drift, or (b) sea levels to drop, so that you can walk to Australia :)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6842 on: February 19, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »

That's wonderful.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6843 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

You'll be waiting a hell of a long time for either (a) continental drift, or (b) sea levels to drop, so that you can walk to Australia :)
Being Jesus would work too haha.

vitalmayhem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6844 on: February 19, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
I didn't catch the whole conversation so I'm not sure on the specific details but when I walked into the lunch room I overheard 2 older ladies (judging by their wrinkles 55+ years old) talking.

CW1: He said he can't afford to go!
CW2: What is he supposed to do, sit at home saving up until he can afford it?
CW1: That's just not right... He can't just deprive himself like that. He needs to relax and experience life.
CW2: He needs to get a credit card.

I have no words to describe my shock...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #6845 on: February 19, 2015, 04:04:13 PM »
My husband often regales me with tales that he has overheard at work.

Today's:

CW: Did you hear that CW2 bought a new Lexus? [he already owned a decent Lexus]
DH: Wow, that's expensive.
CW: Yeah, but we're making a good income.
DH: But we've got loads of debt from med school...
CW: I don't have to pay off my debt until I graduate. It's ok - I'm only paying $500/mo in interest! :)
DH: *no words*

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6846 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »
That's just not right... He can't just deprive himself like that. He needs to relax and experience life.

So says the person who probably has credit card debt double their monthly income that isn't getting paid off.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #6847 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
So my spendy coworker has decided he needs to make a budget (you don't already have a budget?!?!) so he can try and save money, because with no budget he can't tell where it all keeps disappearing to.

Not an hour later he's online ordering a personalized licence plate.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6848 on: February 19, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
So my spendy coworker has decided he needs to make a budget (you don't already have a budget?!?!)
I don't think it's ridiculous for somebody not to have a budget. I don't have a budget and I still managed to save over 50% of my net pay last year. I found that when I had a budget, near the end of the month I would say oh I have $X left over this month for category Y, so I can blow $X on Z. However, I didn't really need to buy Z.

You can still be Mustachian and not have a budget. However, for the average person who hasn't build his or her frugality muscles a budget is a great tool to curb spending.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #6849 on: February 19, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »
A budget is kind of like training wheels for a lot of people, you only need it when you are starting out or if you need help with self control. If you are just frugal and live under your means things work themself court without the need for a budget.