Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253055 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6500 on: January 28, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
Not overheard, but said. Supervisor forgot he signed off on my unmustachian vacation a couple months ago even though we are in a deep hole workload wise. I am only leaving for a week to sit on a beach and do nothing but hang out with my nephews. I told on CW I wasn't bringing a checked bag and everyone proceeded to lose there sh*t (cube farm so everyone could hear the conversation). I was told I was being wasteful because I get a free checked bag anyway and not using it is a waste. I asked if I was supposed to check an empty bag for the fun of it and my secretary just about exploded from disbelief.

How can you go a week without a bag full of stuff?

This is kind of the opposite, but my boyfriend has started to take great pride in traveling without a carryon. Once he checks his bag, all he has is what's in his pockets, and if he has a magazine for the plane he puts it in my purse. Kinda risky in terms of bags getting lost, but pretty much all our air travel is to visit family so it wouldn't be hard to borrow stuff or a day or two... and it's hilarious how confused people are to see him walking onto the plane with literally nothing, in this day and age of assholes trying to get away with the largest carryon they possibly can (ugh major pet peeve!!!).

I never check bags, but I also like the no carry on style (with the caveat that you still don't check a bag).

One of my goals is to vacation with no carry on and no luggage.

http://www.rtwblog.com/about-the-challenge/

http://regevelya.com/no-bags-travel/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6501 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
Not overheard, but said. Supervisor forgot he signed off on my unmustachian vacation a couple months ago even though we are in a deep hole workload wise. I am only leaving for a week to sit on a beach and do nothing but hang out with my nephews. I told on CW I wasn't bringing a checked bag and everyone proceeded to lose there sh*t (cube farm so everyone could hear the conversation). I was told I was being wasteful because I get a free checked bag anyway and not using it is a waste. I asked if I was supposed to check an empty bag for the fun of it and my secretary just about exploded from disbelief.

This is kind of the opposite, but my boyfriend has started to take great pride in traveling without a carryon. Once he checks his bag, all he has is what's in his pockets, and if he has a magazine for the plane he puts it in my purse. Kinda risky in terms of bags getting lost, but pretty much all our air travel is to visit family so it wouldn't be hard to borrow stuff or a day or two... and it's hilarious how confused people are to see him walking onto the plane with literally nothing, in this day and age of assholes trying to get away with the largest carryon they possibly can (ugh major pet peeve!!!).

I never check bags, but I also like the no carry on style (with the caveat that you still don't check a bag).

Interesting! How do you see yourself doing this?

We never check luggage (at least not since our bags were lost in Denver the second time). However, my husband packs a small backpack that fits under the seat in front of him and contains his clothes, money, laptop, and Kindle. He attaches an iPod Nano to his shirt pocket. I generally take my computer case stuffed with a computer, Kindle, and snacks and also have an Eagle Creek travel backpack that I use as a carry-on. Sometimes I also carry a coat and stuff my money and a spare pair of underwear in the pockets (you never know when a pair of clean underwear will come in handy). My husband considers me in need of Packing Awareness Training and lectures me. My mother thinks I travel crazy-light.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6502 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
I visited my sister a couple months ago for a weekend.  She was surprised when I hopped in the car with nothing but a backpack.  it was only a 2 1/2 day trip, and I fit everything comfortably, including a set of dress clothes for church on Sunday.

I hope to never have to check a bag ever again.  Too much hassle and time for very little benefit.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #6503 on: January 28, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
I'm a chronic light packer (when people pick me up at the airport they ask, "where's the rest of your luggage?") and I truly don't understand what people are bringing with them that they need a huge 26" wheeled suitcase plus a wheeled carry-on plus a personal item. I went on a two-week overseas vacation with just an 18" duffel bag (no wheels) and a purse. And that included bringing bulky running shoes and a hair dryer. I don't mean this to come off as a humblebrag, I just am completely mystified about what people are packing that they need so many bags.

Another light packer here. A few years back I did an international group tour where I met someone who humbled my packing efforts. She and her husband had retired in their 50's and spent most of their time traveling the world. She wore the same lightweight top (semi-dressy/semi-casual) every day. It was never dirty. I could that tell she washed it out every evening, dried it overnight, and was good to go the next morning. She loved photography and her camera, lens, and strap probably occupied as much space in her bag as her clothing. It's all about priorities. She took great pictures, too, and she shared them with the rest of us at the end of the trip :)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6504 on: January 28, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
We have a portfolio of individual stocks in addition to our index funds. One of the fun things about stocks is that they are a great conversation starter amongst like-minded people. So me and a few guys were chatting about our stocks and what looks good into the future.

One of my younger co-workers who was listening to the good-natured bragging said, "I need to learn how to buy stocks. This sounds really good."

Metta: "Yes, it is a lot of fun! But be sure that you are investing in the 401K, preferably one of the index funds options since our company picks up a lot of the fees. And Vanguard's fees are low already. Then buy stocks with your fun money once the safe investments are taken care of."

Younger Co-Worker: "I have talked to too many people who lost a lot of money in the 401K in 2008. I don't think the index funds are safe. I want to own individual stocks."

Metta: "People lost money because they sold their index funds when the market dropped. Had they stayed put they would have made a lot more than they lost. Index funds are safer than individual stocks."

Younger Co-Worker: "That can't be true."

Metta shrugs. "Read up on investing."

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #6505 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
We have a portfolio of individual stocks in addition to our index funds. One of the fun things about stocks is that they are a great conversation starter amongst like-minded people. So me and a few guys were chatting about our stocks and what looks good into the future.

One of my younger co-workers who was listening to the good-natured bragging said, "I need to learn how to buy stocks. This sounds really good."

Metta: "Yes, it is a lot of fun! But be sure that you are investing in the 401K, preferably one of the index funds options since our company picks up a lot of the fees. And Vanguard's fees are low already. Then buy stocks with your fun money once the safe investments are taken care of."

Younger Co-Worker: "I have talked to too many people who lost a lot of money in the 401K in 2008. I don't think the index funds are safe. I want to own individual stocks."

Metta: "People lost money because they sold their index funds when the market dropped. Had they stayed put they would have made a lot more than they lost. Index funds are safer than individual stocks."

*Head explodes* All index funds are just collections of individual stocks. How could an individual stock be safer than hundreds of individual stocks?

Your young co-worker really does need to at least learn the basics.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6506 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
I'm a chronic light packer (when people pick me up at the airport they ask, "where's the rest of your luggage?") and I truly don't understand what people are bringing with them that they need a huge 26" wheeled suitcase plus a wheeled carry-on plus a personal item. I went on a two-week overseas vacation with just an 18" duffel bag (no wheels) and a purse. And that included bringing bulky running shoes and a hair dryer. I don't mean this to come off as a humblebrag, I just am completely mystified about what people are packing that they need so many bags.

I pack as light as we can, I can get all of my clothes and my 3 boys clothes in one of those 26in suitcases, including disposable diapers for my youngest, now that he is potty trained maybe I can fit my hubs clothing in there too.

I could pack lighter, but with kids you never know when they are going to play in the rain, mud, get food all over and not have time to wash, so I pack a few extras.

I'll do better next times :)

My hubs has always packed light, like one computer bag and he fits all of his clothing in their too, it's handy to not have to worry about where your stuff is.

Last year we flew with our boys and since we had to bring carseats, it was such a mess, lugging it all through the airport was some kind of torture, but hey, it's not like we didn't need them.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6507 on: January 28, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
I'm also a light packer, but on longer vacations or to more exotic destinations I do check in a bag (medium size). Not because I need a lot of clothes, but because it gives me more flexibility if I want to say buy and bring back anything not allowed in carry-on (a bottle of local wine, for example).

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6508 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »

I'd love to do this and thrift anything I need, maybe even re-donate it at the end. Support the local economy, reduce, reuse, recycle and all that too! Might keep a few to re-sell on eBay though. I'd wear that outfit home.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6509 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »

Oh, god.  DH and I get this all the time.  We both hate checking bags, so we always just do carry-on.  We went to Europe for three weeks last summer and for some reason luggage came up as a subject with some friends right before we left.  I thought their eyes were goung to pop out of their skulls when we said we were both just taking a carry-on apiece. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6510 on: January 28, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »

Oh, god.  DH and I get this all the time.  We both hate checking bags, so we always just do carry-on.  We went to Europe for three weeks last summer and for some reason luggage came up as a subject with some friends right before we left.  I thought their eyes were going to pop out of their skulls when we said we were both just taking a carry-on apiece.

God forbid you use a laundromat, right?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6511 on: January 28, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »

Oh, god.  DH and I get this all the time.  We both hate checking bags, so we always just do carry-on.  We went to Europe for three weeks last summer and for some reason luggage came up as a subject with some friends right before we left.  I thought their eyes were going to pop out of their skulls when we said we were both just taking a carry-on apiece.

God forbid you use a laundromat, right?

Seriously.  Or, in our case, the handy mini-washing machines in the furnished apartments we rented!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6512 on: January 28, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

The second link is hilarious in an endearing way. TL;DR: Israeli guy goes to Romania with just a tank top, shorts, and flipflops. Discovers it's cold in Romania. Buys proper shoes, jeans, and a jacket.

Hey, I could travel with no bags too if I'm allowed to ditch what I'm wearing and buy all new stuff at the destination. ;)

He could have just started with that, for one, but also, of course you're allowed to buy stuff at your destination.  Not packing toiletries and getting them when you arrive (and ditching them when you leave) is a great travel light strategy.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6513 on: January 28, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »
OT: I love getting the "where's the rest of your luggage" question. I'm not so much a fan of the gendered assumptions that typically accompany it.

On topic: A coworker friend of mine is basically killing time at work right now waiting for something new. So she brought in her taxes and did them here. In discussing this with her, she explained that neither she nor her husband have adjusted their withholding allowances ever, for the specific goal of getting a ton of money back every year. This year she decided to put in 2, for her two kids. I know from just re-doing my W-4 that they could EACH do 9.

And then, a few hours later, she tells me that her husband just got a new truck last year, but the new model has a bunch of bells and whistles he wants, so he told the guy at the dealership that if he could keep his payment the same, he'd trade in. But she's not happy about this because if he gets a new truck then it'll be an extra year before she can get a new SUV because they alternate car loans.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6514 on: January 28, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »
Maybe, depending on your version of Mustachian.

I think traveling without a bag has such a freeing feeling and may enable other experiences that you might not otherwise have (or a mindset for those) that it's worth trying.

To each his own.  :)

jordanread

« Reply #6515 on: January 28, 2015, 03:54:31 PM »

I think traveling without a bag has such a freeing feeling and may enable other experiences that you might not otherwise have (or a mindset for those) that it's worth trying.

Those links posted started me down a hole...of the rabbit kind (so thanks for that, I really didn't have work to do today :P). I'm super minimalist with clothes (as in, my GF just recently insisted I had to have more than 3 pairs of pants, and no, none could have holes...so she bought me four pairs), but our trip to Cancun last year ran into the 50lb/bag weight limit. Scuba gear is heavy!! I need to figure that out since we are going to be travelling 6 months out of the year once we catch FIRE. Still reading those links...and my boss is pestering me on IM to 'get work done'. Pfft.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6516 on: January 28, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »
I don't know of others, but when my max size carry on is bursting, it has my winter parka, scarf, mitts, running shoes and one set of work out clothes, steel toed boots and a heavy construction site reflective vest, in addition to the office suit. So I agree that most people not travelling for work have too much.   

Some are bringing gifts, or food for their trip ( it was a shopping trip for lower cost items). Others have vacation sports equipment and clothes. I guess many women have three pair of shoes - that is my problem: runners, office shoes, comfy or airplane walk around shoes, and steel toe boots.
Usually if I want to be very light I have to wear the boots on board which is a pain through security, not comfy, and looks bad with the suit   So I pack flats for the office.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6517 on: January 28, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
We both hate checking bags, so we always just do carry-on. 

How come?  My sister always gives me grief for checking my bag (as long as I can do so for free), haven't been able to figure out why.

Just because your bag CAN be carried on, doesn't mean you HAVE to.  Checking a bag doesn't mean you're traveling any heavier.  Most airports have the baggage thing down to a pretty good system, assisted by the fact there are way less bags, now that everyone carries theirs on.  I'd say at least half the time, by the time I get off the plane, hit up the bathroom, and make my way through the airport to the baggage claim, the carousel is already going.  Sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes.  The only thing I carry with me is a book.  Way better that carrying a bag through two airports, more with a layover.  Makes security easier way easier, though I'm one of those people that requests the freedom grope, and they're always suspicious of me not having a bag.

Compared to having to open my bag in security to get my laptop out, which I have to put in a separate bin for some reason, then put it back in.  Since I carry a duffle not a roller suitcase, I don't like having the laptop right on top, so this can be a pain.  Now I get to lug it through the airport and stand crowded around the gate with the rest of the group because they're worried about getting on early before the overhead bins fill up, not caring that they're in the way of the elderly and disabled trying to board before them.  Their luggage is more important.  Then we get to awkwardly try to stuff our bags into a spot in the overfull bins, then awkwardly pull them back down again when we land.  Now I get to carry it through another airport.  Have a connecting flight?  Repeat until finished.

Nah, I'll walk around with my book, wait till final boarding in the relative comfort of the now-empty waiting area, walk on and sit right down, mosey back off the plane, and wait 5 minutes for my bag, thankful for all the baggage handlers that went to all that hassle for me.

Rant over ;-)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:34:58 PM by RyanAtTanagra »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6518 on: January 28, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

Those links posted started me down a hole...of the rabbit kind (so thanks for that, I really didn't have work to do today :P). I'm super minimalist with clothes (as in, my GF just recently insisted I had to have more than 3 pairs of pants, and no, none could have holes...so she bought me four pairs), but our trip to Cancun last year ran into the 50lb/bag weight limit. Scuba gear is heavy!! I need to figure that out since we are going to be travelling 6 months out of the year once we catch FIRE. Still reading those links...and my boss is pestering me on IM to 'get work done'. Pfft.

We've just started to plan our "gear" for our round the world trip.  It's very exciting.

(We have some previous experience, we carefully chose gear for our 2+ month Europe backpacking trip in 2009 and were very happy with it.)

Being minimalist with clothes is a necessity for fitting everything you own into a reasonable-sized backpack.

jordanread

« Reply #6519 on: January 28, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
How come?  My sister always gives me grief for checking my bag (as long as I can do so for free), haven't been able to figure out why.

Just because your bag CAN be carried on, doesn't mean you HAVE to.  Checking a bag doesn't mean you're traveling any heavier.  Most airports have the baggage thing down to a pretty good system, assisted by the fact there are way less bags, now that everyone carries theirs on.  I'd say at least half the time, by the time I get off the plane, hit up the bathroom, and make my way through the airport to the baggage claim, the carousel is already going.  Sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes.  The only thing I carry with me is a book.  Way better that carrying a bag through two airports, more with a layover.  Makes security easier way easier, though I'm one of those people that requests the freedom grope, and they're always suspicious of me not having a bag.

Compared to having to open my bag in security to get my laptop out, which I have to put in a separate bin for some reason, then put it back in.  Since I carry a duffle not a roller suitcase, I don't like having the laptop right on top, so this can be a pain.  Now I get to lug it through the airport and stand crowded around the gate with the rest of the group because they're worried about getting on early before the overhead bins fill up, not caring that they're in the way of the elderly and disabled trying to board before them.  Their luggage is more important.  Then we get to awkwardly try to stuff our bags into a spot in the overfull bins, then awkwardly pull them back down again when we land.  Now I get to carry it through another airport.  Have a connecting flight?  Repeat until finished.

Nah, I'll walk around with my book, wait till final boarding in the relative comfort of the now-empty waiting area, walk on and sit right down, mosey back off the plane, and wait 5 minutes for my bag, thankful for all the baggage handlers that went to all that hassle for me.

Rant over ;-)

He he. "The Freedom Grope". That shit made me giggle.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6520 on: January 28, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
though I'm one of those people that requests the freedom grope

Good for you.

I opt out 100% of the time too, and though I hate the grope, if you're going to violate my 4th amendment rights via the nude body scanners, I'm going to protest in whatever small form I can, and force you to go through the uncomfortable body search.

jordanread

« Reply #6521 on: January 28, 2015, 05:21:11 PM »

We've just started to plan our "gear" for our round the world trip.  It's very exciting.

(We have some previous experience, we carefully chose gear for our 2+ month Europe backpacking trip in 2009 and were very happy with it.)

Being minimalist with clothes is a necessity for fitting everything you own into a reasonable-sized backpack.

Missed that one, my apologies. I talked to GoCurryCracker, and a few others regarding minimalism, and they all said that a backpacking trip puts things into perspective. Since my GF doesn't do carrying, it would all be on me, so I was super stoked when she mentioned doing the Appalachian trail. Should be interesting. Have you posted your experiences anywhere? I remember talking about it, but there was so much oxygen there...:P

Good for you.

I opt out 100% of the time too, and though I hate the grope, if you're going to violate my 4th amendment rights via the nude body scanners, I'm going to protest in whatever small form I can, and force you to go through the uncomfortable body search.

My GF gets selected as "Random Female" almost everytime we go anywhere...even to Iowa. I always laugh out loud and give her a high five.It puts shit in perspective. I've determined that the people who feel a bit uncomfortable are the ones who I can change, so when I get them, I always prefer the 'freedom grope'. I also hope, one day, to be hot enough to do a strip tease at the TSA and get money thrown at me. After or on that day, I will get the GF to start playing music whileI do it...maybe. Something like this.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6522 on: January 28, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »

*Head explodes* All index funds are just collections of individual stocks. How could an individual stock be safer than hundreds of individual stocks?

Your young co-worker really does need to at least learn the basics.

Yes, she does. But before she can learn, she needs to be open to learning, which she currently is not. She has many other distractions at the moment and "knows" that index funds are risky in the same way my Depression era grandparents "knew" that it was better to store their wealth as precious metals and jade.

When I told my husband what she said, I thought his eyes were going to cross and he was going to start intoning "Illogical. Illogical. Does not compute. Does not compute."  :)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6523 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »

Rant over ;-)

*Shrug*. To each his own.  You have your reasons.  Here are mine: 1) I like having my stuff with me, with no chance of having it lost by the airline; 2) I like the discipline of not bringing a metric crapload of stuff with me for a short trip; 3) I like being generally self-contained; 4) I'm a freeze baby, so I often need another sweater or a change from shorts to jeans when I'm in an airport; 5) I hate dicking around at baggage claim; 6) The best periods of my life have been when I was literally living out of one suitcase, and I love feeling that nothing is important to me except what I have with me.  Hey, check your small bag: you do you.  Me, I like to feel like I've got everything I will ever need, right there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:34:04 PM by Kris »

Roxy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6524 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
CW1 to CW2: Want to go out to lunch today?
Cw2: Sure, but let's go somewhere we cheap, I just spent $200 on shoes and my cc is almost maxed.
cw1: should we invite cw3 (me)
cw2: nah, she brought her lunch AGAIN today.
After lunch (I really had brought my lunch and didn't go out)
cw1: So are you excited for your caribbean vacation coming up in a couple weeks?
Me: yes, I can't hardly wait.
cw2: Man, you're so lucky. I wish I could afford to on vacation. How do you have enough money to go on vacation?
Me thinking to myself: Because I don't go out to lunch every.single.day, spend hundreds on shoes, and max out my cc!!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6525 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
Do people really not get it?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6526 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:36 PM »
If you don't track your expenses, whether it's manually or through something like Mint, it's actually kind of hard to realize how much you're spending on a daily or weekly basis. It's generally not the occasional big purchase that can blow up your expenses, it's the sum of slow bleeds. (This is of course only relevant to the lunch every single day portion of Roxy's commentary). MMM alludes to this himself in his a million is made ten bucks at a time post.

Try asking any Starbucks addict that doesn't track expenses how much they think they're spending on coffee. They're going to very easily low ball it by 2x, if not closer to 4x or 5x.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6527 on: January 28, 2015, 11:22:58 PM »
If you don't track your expenses, whether it's manually or through something like Mint, it's actually kind of hard to realize how much you're spending on a daily or weekly basis. It's generally not the occasional big purchase that can blow up your expenses, it's the sum of slow bleeds. (This is of course only relevant to the lunch every single day portion of Roxy's commentary). MMM alludes to this himself in his a million is made ten bucks at a time post.

Try asking any Starbucks addict that doesn't track expenses how much they think they're spending on coffee. They're going to very easily low ball it by 2x, if not closer to 4x or 5x.

Precisely.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #6528 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:07 PM »

Having complete 1/2 of a RTW trip already, I've been heavily schooled in the art of CLS (Carry less shit), and the disease I call TMS (You guessed it: Too Much Shit). For example, "That guy needs to practice some CLS man, he's got TMS.

While my wife and I were in Australia in 2013, we decided to visit S.E Asia. We ended up staying in the area for 7 weeks. Checking a bag on the no frills airline was another fee, so we opted for carry on. My bag for 7 weeks was 12 liters plus a 6 liter dry bag for my camera/electronics. My wife carried a 25 liter (only bag we had, too big for her). The mild tropical climate played a large part in the fact that we didn't need cold weather gear.

We visited Ecuador this year for a month with my retired parents. Due to the difference in climate between the 13k foot mountains, the jungle and the coast, I carried 36 liters, and she carried 40.

I can go anywhere in the world (with the exception of arctic climates), and live for an indefinite period of time with a 35liter pack (Less if I don't need my size 14 boots and I don't carry a laptop and camera), and I LOVE the freedom that that involves. Too many times I've seen the young travelers suffering from TMS that walk around with 60liter packs with shit hanging off of them.

Linette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6529 on: January 29, 2015, 02:10:54 AM »
Shame on me, I am one of those with a 60l+x backpack. (2years trip) Only carry-on is quite difficult with a leatherman  in your pocket and necessary liquids. And no, haven't found those liquids outside my country.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #6530 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »

Rant over ;-)

*Shrug*. To each his own.  You have your reasons.  Here are mine: 1) I like having my stuff with me, with no chance of having it lost by the airline; 2) I like the discipline of not bringing a metric crapload of stuff with me for a short trip; 3) I like being generally self-contained; 4) I'm a freeze baby, so I often need another sweater or a change from shorts to jeans when I'm in an airport; 5) I hate dicking around at baggage claim; 6) The best periods of my life have been when I was literally living out of one suitcase, and I love feeling that nothing is important to me except what I have with me.  Hey, check your small bag: you do you.  Me, I like to feel like I've got everything I will ever need, right there.

+1 on this!

There are few things that I hate more than having to walk down to baggage claim and wait endlessly for the series of "whose black bag is that?". It is just easier to have everything (relative term) with you and once exiting the plane go straight to your next gate or car with no worries.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:49:50 PM by boyerbt »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6531 on: January 29, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »

Good for you.

My wife and I were returning from vacation, and we both opted out of the TSA Porno Scanners. So, as we were receiving our matching Freedom Gropes, I yelled across the screening area to her: "Hey, we finally got that couples' massage you wanted!"

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6532 on: January 29, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
+1 on this!

There are few things that I hate more than having to walk down to baggage claim and wait endlessly for the series of "who's black bag is that?". It is just easier to have everything (relative term) with you and once existing the plane go straight to your next gate or car with no worries.
For the occasions I have checked a bag (ie, I was moving from one city to another), I usually like to tie some kind of colorful ribbon to my bag so I can much more easily pick out my black bag from the crowd.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6533 on: January 29, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Shame on me, I am one of those with a 60l+x backpack. (2years trip) Only carry-on is quite difficult with a leatherman  in your pocket and necessary liquids. And no, haven't found those liquids outside my country.

I have a 46 litre Osprey Porter. We took it to Thailand with us. Was freaking amazing. It's not made for backpacking, but just moving around luggage was awesome. We did check one bigger suitcase but used this as our other option. So easy to either use it like a briefcase or use it like a backpack in the airport. Sold out on amazon though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GC12QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically the best thing ever for us especially when you can cinch it down to make it smaller.

jordanread

« Reply #6534 on: January 29, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »

I have a 46 litre Osprey Porter. We took it to Thailand with us. Was freaking amazing. It's not made for backpacking, but just moving around luggage was awesome. We did check one bigger suitcase but used this as our other option. So easy to either use it like a briefcase or use it like a backpack in the airport. Sold out on amazon though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GC12QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically the best thing ever for us especially when you can cinch it down to make it smaller.

I must be TMSing. I have a Denali 5500 (90 litres!!) that I use for backpacking. Granted, I don't have a backpacking tent, so that takes up most of the space, and my SO will not go if she has to carry something, plus the food for people and dogs. If I get an actual backpacking tent (or even one that wasn't $20 on craigslist), I could downgrade. I wish I had the picture from our first attempt. I looked ridiculous. When we got back and weighed it, I was lugging around 90lbs of crap we didn't need. It was a fun experience getting that stuff dialed in, though.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6535 on: January 29, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
+1 on this!

There are few things that I hate more than having to walk down to baggage claim and wait endlessly for the series of "who's black bag is that?". It is just easier to have everything (relative term) with you and once existing the plane go straight to your next gate or car with no worries.
For the occasions I have checked a bag (ie, I was moving from one city to another), I usually like to tie some kind of colorful ribbon to my bag so I can much more easily pick out my black bag from the crowd.

OT+Foamy, but your post gives me a good opportunity to voice a pet peeve of mine.  This is not directed at you, but again your post gave me an opp!

Anyone who stands right next to the baggage claim conveyor to wait for their bag needs to move back a few feet until they actually see their bag.  That way, when I see my bag I don't have to push my way through the other travelers, and the group of family and or friends that are visiting with them, RIGHT NEXT TO THE CONVEYOR!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6536 on: January 29, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
+1 on this!

I've given my all black bags some yellow duct tape racing stripes.  Can't miss them now. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6537 on: January 29, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
I've given my all black bags some yellow duct tape racing stripes.  Can't miss them now.

Also a lot more safer on the street and less likely to be stolen.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6538 on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
My SO packs a box with clothing/essentials (a cardboard box), and ships the thing USPS to the destination (family). She brings only a backpack when flying.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6539 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

Having complete 1/2 of a RTW trip already, I've been heavily schooled in the art of CLS (Carry less shit), and the disease I call TMS (You guessed it: Too Much Shit). For example, "That guy needs to practice some CLS man, he's got TMS.

While my wife and I were in Australia in 2013, we decided to visit S.E Asia. We ended up staying in the area for 7 weeks. Checking a bag on the no frills airline was another fee, so we opted for carry on. My bag for 7 weeks was 12 liters plus a 6 liter dry bag for my camera/electronics. My wife carried a 25 liter (only bag we had, too big for her). The mild tropical climate played a large part in the fact that we didn't need cold weather gear.

We visited Ecuador this year for a month with my retired parents. Due to the difference in climate between the 13k foot mountains, the jungle and the coast, I carried 36 liters, and she carried 40.

I can go anywhere in the world (with the exception of arctic climates), and live for an indefinite period of time with a 35liter pack (Less if I don't need my size 14 boots and I don't carry a laptop and camera), and I LOVE the freedom that that involves. Too many times I've seen the young travelers suffering from TMS that walk around with 60liter packs with shit hanging off of them.

Yeah, we had 28L each and it was plenty.  We'll probably use those to start with, then downsize later.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #6540 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »

Good for you.

My wife and I were returning from vacation, and we both opted out of the TSA Porno Scanners. So, as we were receiving our matching Freedom Gropes, I yelled across the screening area to her: "Hey, we finally got that couples' massage you wanted!"

I've opted out of the scanners 90% of the time since they started putting them in (other 10% has been when we've been cutting it really close on time since it takes a lot longer). The wife likes to give me a hard time about it, but I'm happy with my meager protest against the erosion of my rights and making lots more people aware that it's happening (never ask for a private screening room so lots of people do double-takes at the tall, middle-aged white guy getting patted down...).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6541 on: January 29, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
+1 on this!

OT+Foamy, but your post gives me a good opportunity to voice a pet peeve of mine.  This is not directed at you, but again your post gave me an opp!

Anyone who stands right next to the baggage claim conveyor to wait for their bag needs to move back a few feet until they actually see their bag.  That way, when I see my bag I don't have to push my way through the other travelers, and the group of family and or friends that are visiting with them, RIGHT NEXT TO THE CONVEYOR!

OMG I want to stab those people. Especially when there's a line on the floor CLEARLY indicating "please stand behind this line." My boyfriend likes to just "accidentally" hit them with his suitcase as he pulls it off.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6542 on: January 29, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
+1 on this!

OMG I want to stab those people. Especially when there's a line on the floor CLEARLY indicating "please stand behind this line." My boyfriend likes to just "accidentally" hit them with his suitcase as he pulls it off.

Stabbing is a bit much, no? But I know what you mean. Air travel seems to bring out the absolute worst qualities in people. I generally dislike flying because of the behavior of my fellow travelers. It's really quite disgusting.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #6543 on: January 29, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
+1 on this!

and this is why none of us are allowed to travel with anythign sharp. because of YOU!!

I agree with your thinking though.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6544 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:51 PM »
+1 on this!

Stabbing is a bit much, no? But I know what you mean. Air travel seems to bring out the absolute worst qualities in people. I generally dislike flying because of the behavior of my fellow travelers. It's really quite disgusting.

Haha, maybe I'm overreacting a bit. UnleashHell's comment made me LOL. It's been a rough week :) But yes, totally agree about air travel bringing out the worst in humanity (and I'm far from a misanthrope, I really like people in general and am pretty tolerant... but the level of selfishness and rudeness you see at airports is pretty gross!)

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6545 on: January 29, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
+1 on this!

I recommend a 7-year-old hardsided suitcase with identifying dents and missing hardware.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6546 on: January 29, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
Back on OT:

My DH works with a guy going through a divorce, last year he made over $200,000 and he owns a busy construction company flipping houses and selling them and his crew is kept busy on other projects, like a new roof or inside work.

He is quitting and has to quit by a specific date so he can take a loan out on his 401k to pay for his divorce, now his divorce lawyer is quite expensive, but he has nothing to show for his excellent income, nothing, last year was really good to him but he has made well over 100k for at least 4 years, they have no children. It is just so sad that he hasn't saved anything, he told my DH that if they liquidated everything they could both just walk away, they have no equity in any of the homes, not enough to cover the debt anyway. It blows my mind.

And for most of those years she was working also.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6547 on: January 29, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »

Good for you.

Lol, I always opt out and refer to it as "the free massage." 

I also hate waiting for checked baggage and carry on only if possible.  Likewise sometimes I'll take a middle seat near the front vs an aisle at the back for shorter flights

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6548 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
I'm also a light packer, but on longer vacations or to more exotic destinations I do check in a bag (medium size). Not because I need a lot of clothes, but because it gives me more flexibility if I want to say buy and bring back anything not allowed in carry-on (a bottle of local wine, for example).

Oh yeah, this is a good point. I've checked a lot of wine and beer in my time (have yet to have a catastrophic failure although it's really scary watching the baggage handlers sometimes). Booze is definitely the most embarrassingly anti-mustachian indulgence in my household.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6549 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
Back on OT:

My DH works with a guy going through a divorce, last year he made over $200,000 and he owns a busy construction company flipping houses and selling them and his crew is kept busy on other projects, like a new roof or inside work.

He is quitting and has to quit by a specific date so he can take a loan out on his 401k to pay for his divorce, now his divorce lawyer is quite expensive, but he has nothing to show for his excellent income, nothing, last year was really good to him but he has made well over 100k for at least 4 years, they have no children. It is just so sad that he hasn't saved anything, he told my DH that if they liquidated everything they could both just walk away, they have no equity in any of the homes, not enough to cover the debt anyway. It blows my mind.

And for most of those years she was working also.

Any reason they could like... not get divorced?  It may be less expensive to plan on outliving your spouse.