Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252820 times)

viverl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #650 on: August 20, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
I have something to share:

I was talking to my colleague (31 years, first job after university for 2 years now) about our dissatisfaction in our company. I already found another job and will be leaving soon. I am trying to help her move on, too.

She: Well now that I am having a car (brand new, probably paid for with a loan), applying to your new firm is dumb, since it is too nearby to drive there!

Me: O_o

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #651 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

I was talking to my colleague (31 years, first job after university for 2 years now) about our dissatisfaction in our company. I already found another job and will be leaving soon. I am trying to help her move on, too.

She: Well now that I am having a car (brand new, probably paid for with a loan), applying to your new firm is dumb, since it is too nearby to drive there!

Woooooooooooooow

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »

Woooooooooooooow

I also know someone who refused to live closer to work because he liked driving his truck too much.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »

Woooooooooooooow

I also know someone who refused to live closer to work because he liked driving his truck too much.

+1 on the Woooooooooooooow.  I don't *hate* driving exactly, but I sure don't want to spend any more time behind the wheel than I absolutely have to.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #654 on: August 21, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »

I spoke to someone who moved here for school.  When asked what he missed about Houston (his hometown) he said he missed driving (WTF?  Houston is a particularly miserable place to drive).  He said there it was at least a 10 minute drive to see or do anything, but here everything was just to close to get to enjoy it!

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
Went to a celebratory dinner with some of the higher-ups in my company and the outside counsel that helped us on a recent deal.  Here are some highlights:

1. The guy who took his wife to stay at the 4 Seasons in Hawaii at $1200/night.  Then, conversation digressed into the amenities at various other 4 Seasons hotels, including one where they .
2. The partner whose golf club in Vancouver was having some difficulties with a land dispute, so he joined a golf club in California and just flew there when he wanted to golf.
3. Discussion of the best places to buy your vacation homes.

On the other hand, some of the people I was with probably have such a high income that they could be doing all that and still living on 25% of their income for all I know.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #656 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »

I spoke to someone who moved here for school.  When asked what he missed about Houston (his hometown) he said he missed driving (WTF?  Houston is a particularly miserable place to drive).  He said there it was at least a 10 minute drive to see or do anything, but here everything was just to close to get to enjoy it!

I love driving too!  I also love eating cake, but don't organize my life around eating as much cake as possible.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »

I love driving too!  I also love eating cake, but don't organize my life around eating as much cake as possible.

Really?!  That is like goal #1 in my day-to-day life.  I'm only partially kidding!

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #658 on: August 22, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »

It's one of my guilty pleasures... I love driving, so long as it's not commuting!

ETA: I love eating cake (and bread), too, but am trying to keep my average daily carbs under 100 grams, per some of the paleo guidelines.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:27:32 PM by notquitefrugal »

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #659 on: August 22, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

Maybe I'm biased because I dislike driving/ car riding in general.  On th other hand I do organize my time to maximize free cake eating.  For instance tomorrow I'm taking a break to attend a retirement party mostly for the cake.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #660 on: August 22, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

Maybe I'm biased because I dislike driving/ car riding in general.  On th other hand I do organize my time to maximize free cake eating.  For instance tomorrow I'm taking a break to attend a retirement party mostly for the cake.

That reminds me; I have a piece of cake in the refrigerator at home. That makes me happy :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #661 on: August 22, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »

Really?!  That is like goal #1 in my day-to-day life.  I'm only partially kidding!

FYI, as an adult you can eat birthday cake every day.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #662 on: August 22, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

FYI, as an adult you can eat birthday cake every day.

As an adult, I am all over ice cream for breakfast.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #663 on: August 22, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
1. The guy who took his wife to stay at the 4 Seasons in Hawaii at $1200/night.  Then, conversation digressed into the amenities at various other 4 Seasons hotels, including one where they .

Don't keep us in suspense! Or is it one of those "oh, dear... I've already said too much..." sort of deals? :-)

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »

Don't keep us in suspense! Or is it one of those "oh, dear... I've already said too much..." sort of deals? :-)

Oops!  Didn't mean to leave that cliffhanger!  There was one hotel on an island that could only be accessed by boat, so they would give you Atavan upon request to help you sleep on the boat ride.  Seems fishy - isn't that a prescription medication?!

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
was the word fishy used as a pun since they were on the boat?

We have an internal social network at work.  Someone posted a poll asking, "If you won $10Million, would you still come to work? "
One of the responses was, " If you have 2 kids that are going to college that 10 million after taxes won't stretch far. "

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »

It's one of my guilty pleasures... I love driving, so long as it's not commuting!

ETA: I love eating cake (and bread), too, but am trying to keep my average daily carbs under 100 grams, per some of the paleo guidelines.

I must admit, I hate driving in traffic... yet I sometimes fantasize about a Morgan Threewheeler and empty mountain roads. That's a car I can enjoy driving!

And just to make everyone cutting back on carbs jealous:
Sometimes, if I haven't hit my calorie goals that week, I'll fry a few pounds of potatoes for dinner. I am a dangerously skinny fucker, and it's just as much a PITA as the opposite.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: August 23, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

We have an internal social network at work.  Someone posted a poll asking, "If you won $10Million, would you still come to work? "
One of the responses was, " If you have 2 kids that are going to college that 10 million after taxes won't stretch far. "

Even if you assume something like 60k a year to attend college, that's only half a million!!

wtf? If you further assume that taxes eat up half of it, you're left with 4.5 mil! With a conservative 3% withdrawal rate a year, that's 135000/year.

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: August 23, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »

Haha!  Boat - fishy.  Totally unintentional.

mgreczyn

« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »

My money is on it being a manager who's trying to keep the proles from doing some basic math and then heading for the door.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »
I work in hi-tech sector which happens to be reasonably well compensated. Most of my colleagues with six figure salaries drive cars which worth around $10k-$20k. Except young, fresh out of college kids - some of them buy these brand new shiny BMW coupes. However, there's a team who is more consistent in their car preferences. Our building maintenance guys all drive rather expensive cars, trucks and SUVs.

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #671 on: August 24, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
I get teased a lot at work for being "cheap".  I drive a 13 year old car.  I tend to pack peanut butter jellys for lunch.  Most people know my wife cuts my hair, and I usually only get new clothes when I need them.  I buy things used.  I don't really mind it so much though and sometimes even poke fun at myself.

What really irritates is the waste at work.  I'm a school counselor, so I realize taxes pay my salary.  So I try to work mustachian also.  I hoard scrap paper to print most stuff at work (the rare occasions I print).  I tend to open the window in my office in the summer rather than turning on my AC.  I use the natural light from the sun to light my office instead of the terrible fluorescent lights.  If I pass a room with the lights on and the room is (or will be) unoccupied, I turn off the lights.   I work with people that print every single email they get and store them in folders.  The AC is set so low in certain parts of the building, people run space heaters during the spring and summer.  People act like I'm crazy.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #672 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »
I get teased a lot at work for being "cheap".  I drive a 13 year old car.  I tend to pack peanut butter jellys for lunch.  Most people know my wife cuts my hair, and I usually only get new clothes when I need them.  I buy things used.  I don't really mind it so much though and sometimes even poke fun at myself.

What really irritates is the waste at work.  I'm a school counselor, so I realize taxes pay my salary.  So I try to work mustachian also.  I hoard scrap paper to print most stuff at work (the rare occasions I print).  I tend to open the window in my office in the summer rather than turning on my AC.  I use the natural light from the sun to light my office instead of the terrible fluorescent lights.  If I pass a room with the lights on and the room is (or will be) unoccupied, I turn off the lights.   I work with people that print every single email they get and store them in folders.  The AC is set so low in certain parts of the building, people run space heaters during the spring and summer.  People act like I'm crazy.

The floor below mine at work is used by a government agency. It's consistently 5-10 degrees cooler than ours in the summer and warmer in the winter.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »
Today  my coworker/ office mate said "there is no point being frugal, you are just saving pennies - it's better to EARN more!  Isn't it better to earn $50k more a year instead of saving pennies?"

Dude, who is talking about pennies?  Cable TV, lunches out, dinners out, expensive vacations and cars, that's thousands.

Not to mention it's not exactly easy to increase your income.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #674 on: August 30, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
"Isn't it better to earn $50k more a year instead of saving pennies?"

Also, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Saving pennies is not going to keep you from making an extra $50K.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2013, 03:30:59 AM »
And earning 50k more isn't going to guarantee one will be saving more than pennies.

Runny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2013, 06:58:19 AM »
Talking to our intern at work she said that she really her A/C in the summer. In fact she even admitted she cranks it up so high that she needs two blankets when she sleeps. She'd rather sleep with additional blankets than not having the AC on at an extra cold setting.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »
Talking to our intern at work she said that she really her A/C in the summer. In fact she even admitted she cranks it up so high that she needs two blankets when she sleeps. She'd rather sleep with additional blankets than not having the AC on at an extra cold setting.

How you saaay... "moron"?

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
My Japanese teacher used to be quite amused by my late-90s Subaru Sambar (Google it).

Oh my gosh!  That is the cutest vehicle.  I want one!

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
I friend once showed up in a brand new SUV, to replace his smaller SUV which had around 100,000 miles.  I pretended to be impressed with his new purchase, when he bragged that he didn't even have to put any money down to qualify for the loan.  He seriously thought this was something to proud of, as if the salesman cut him some special deal, allowing him to 100% finance his car loan.  Everytime I see that car, I laugh inside.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »

To be fair, when I was an intern, I did this a few times too - but only because my employer was charging me a fixed rate for my summer housing.

Looking back on it, man did I get one hell of a deal on that apartment.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: September 01, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
"Isn't it better to earn $50k more a year instead of saving pennies?"

Also, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Saving pennies is not going to keep you from making an extra $50K.

Yes.  I did point out that the benefit of being frugal and living on less is that no matter what your income, your needs are less!

Luigi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »
Luigi, why would you not tell your grandma?
I've tried.  I'm not really sure how she interpreted it.  She's almost 90 and she's got alzheimers at the very least, if not something worse.  Years ago, my mom may have been doing the same things, but I only really found out how bad it was in the past couple months.  My mom has taken to complaining about my grandma's money to me because I make so much money (I make 30k a year pre-tax), trying to get the money from me.  It was only when she started that this summer I found out how bad it was.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: September 05, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
Luigi, why would you not tell your grandma?
I've tried.  I'm not really sure how she interpreted it.  She's almost 90 and she's got alzheimers at the very least, if not something worse.  Years ago, my mom may have been doing the same things, but I only really found out how bad it was in the past couple months.  My mom has taken to complaining about my grandma's money to me because I make so much money (I make 30k a year pre-tax), trying to get the money from me.  It was only when she started that this summer I found out how bad it was.

Yikes. You might want to call an elder-law attorney in your town (or in your state if your town is too small to have one). Most lawyers will talk to you for a few minutes for free, to understand your situation and determine if there's anything they can do to help you. At least they might be able to point you towards your state's eldercare people--there's probably an organization that can intervene to ensure that elderly people are protected, and/or give you advice on what to do.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #684 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
Just got a big (20k ) raise, and in my new department on the first day I overheard my fellow workers:

"Blah, blah, blah, yeah and I want the new X designer bag"
"Yeah I'm going to get the X designer bag too, etc"
"(laughing) yeah we just have to wait until next payday because I'm so broke!"

Um. WHAT IS HAPPENING? For all the shit I read about my horrible generation (I'm 26) I mostly hear this kind of talk from people over the ages of 35-40 in my office. They spend $6000 on a handbag they don't bat an eye, lunch out everyday, don't bat an eye, I bring my own coffee in a jar to work or mention not having cable and they all scream HIPSTER!!!! Yeah, I'm not a hipster, I'm aware of the results of stupid spending. By the way, since when did using recycled bags and making things from scratch mean hipster? My 90 year old grandma does that so I guess she must be a hipster too.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: September 08, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
@Elaine - Your post was so funny I read it out loud to my husband - especially the part about your 90-year old grandma being a hipster.  I guess since my husband and I cook from scratch we are hipsters too at the ages of 49 and 56!   Now, if could just convince him to give up cable...

If your grandma grew up in North America, she would have lived through the Great Depression and is doing these things for a reason.    From talking to friends whose families were in Canada during the 30's, I know that average people who lived through it were deeply affected. 

Anyway, you are really fortunate to be young and aware of the results of stupid spending. 

Welcome to the forum! 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:42:55 PM by pachnik »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #686 on: September 08, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
If your grandma grew up in North America, she would have lived through the Great Depression and is doing these things for a reason.    From talking to friends whose families were in Canada during the 30's, I know that average people who lived through it were deeply affected.

It's not just the Depression.  For a lot of people, frugality was just the way you lived.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:53 PM »
Just got a big (20k ) raise, and in my new department on the first day I overheard my fellow workers:

"Blah, blah, blah, yeah and I want the new X designer bag"
"Yeah I'm going to get the X designer bag too, etc"
"(laughing) yeah we just have to wait until next payday because I'm so broke!"

Um. WHAT IS HAPPENING? For all the shit I read about my horrible generation (I'm 26) I mostly hear this kind of talk from people over the ages of 35-40 in my office. They spend $6000 on a handbag they don't bat an eye, lunch out everyday, don't bat an eye, I bring my own coffee in a jar to work or mention not having cable and they all scream HIPSTER!!!! Yeah, I'm not a hipster, I'm aware of the results of stupid spending. By the way, since when did using recycled bags and making things from scratch mean hipster? My 90 year old grandma does that so I guess she must be a hipster too.

Well young people doing things old people do is typical hipster.  Like spinning your own yarn:

viverl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »
Wow! Just wow!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:50 AM »
Are babies hipsters because they poop themselves?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »
This discussion has reached a new bottom.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »

Only if its from too much PBR. 

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Well young people doing things old people do is typical hipster.  Like spinning your own yarn:

I was kind of considering growing and processing my own flax into linen just to gain an appreciation for how amazing clothing is. But now I don't want to because I'm not a hipster!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

I was kind of considering growing and processing my own flax into linen just to gain an appreciation for how amazing clothing is. But now I don't want to because I'm not a hipster!

It's ok to be a hipster.  Especially if it means you brew your own mead.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »

Wow, that's all it takes to be a hipster?!  Then I guess I am one too!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »
Wow, that's all it takes to be a hipster?!  Then I guess I am one too!

I think it only counts if you keep bees and harvest your own honey :-)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »

Hey! There's no need to be cheeky.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »

Hey! There's no need to be cheeky.

I protest!  That's a bum wrap.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:39 AM »
My 90 year old grandma does that so I guess she must be a hipster too.

LOL, that's awesome. You should start introducing her as "my grandma, the hipster."

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #699 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Mead or no, as far as I'm concerned, it's not ok to be a hipster. And while you're at it, get offa my lawn!