Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253244 times)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6400 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:35 AM »
1. How can they charge double for basically adding lipstick?
2. Wtf I though girls were crazy spending on clothes, but $20k on a truck in the city??

You would be amazed at how many trucks I see that are lifted, with expensive off-road tires and blinged out on a daily basis.  Supposedly you're cool if you have one of these.  I think I'll keep my money and remain uncool.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #6401 on: January 21, 2015, 06:33:51 AM »
We have a coffee pot that uses the k-cups (it was a gift).  We purchased a huge amount of k-cups on-line for WAY less than they would cost in the stores but it was still too costly (even though we bought them before finding MMM). Someone cautioned me against the refillable cups but I found just lids for the k-cups that are reusable.  So you just rinse out the used k-cups, fill them with the coffee of your choice, plug in the new lid and you're good to go.  You have to get the cup lined up (the machine puts a hole in the bottom the first time you use it) but it makes great coffee and the cost is so much less than the k-cups.  You can re-use the cups multiple times by just rinsing them out.  We probably have 100 or so empty k-cups just waiting to be used.  We've gone through less than two bags of coffee in just over a month which is WAY cheaper than buying more k-cups.  I would guess we'll be set on k-cups for at least the next year, possibly longer.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6402 on: January 21, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »
2. Wtf I though girls were crazy spending on clothes, but $20k on a truck in the city??

You would be amazed at how many trucks I see that are lifted, with expensive off-road tires and blinged out on a daily basis.  Supposedly you're cool if you have one of these.  I think I'll keep my money and remain uncool.

oh yeah. that's a really big thing here. a lot of them barely fit in our parking garage.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6403 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Wow, that is especially sad, where did all their money go, is it tied up in investments?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  Oh, greenmimama, you're too much!  Now might be a good time to read the other 132 pages in this thread.  :)

I've read it all, I guess It's just hard to imagine, although not really, but they don't own a house yet? I also like to try and believe the best about people, but that is passing quickly about finances.

I have said before we don't have money for that, but really technically I meant, I don't want to spend money on that. But people don't really get it when you say it like that do they?

Anyway, glad I could make you laugh.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6404 on: January 21, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
We're attempting to add direct deposit capabilities to our payroll, and I was discussing it with our employees (8 guys, all h.s. educated but not much if any more).  While talking about their pay just being deposited each week and receiving a paper showing your 401k deduction and taxes paid each week instead, the boss mentioned the possibility of changing to paying biweekly.  One guy says "well the paycheck will be bigger, so the government will take more taxes out, and I'll get less money".  I explained how our payroll systems takes the amount of any one week check, figures out how much this would be over a year, and that same tax rate would be applied to a paycheck over two weeks.  Nope, he's convinced a biweekly paycheck would mean less net pay because the government is evil. Oy.
I've pretty much given up arguing with people who reject such irrefutably simple math+logic arguments. There's something going on behind the face there that will drive you crazy if you try to reason with it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6405 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
We're attempting to add direct deposit capabilities to our payroll, and I was discussing it with our employees (8 guys, all h.s. educated but not much if any more).  While talking about their pay just being deposited each week and receiving a paper showing your 401k deduction and taxes paid each week instead, the boss mentioned the possibility of changing to paying biweekly.  One guy says "well the paycheck will be bigger, so the government will take more taxes out, and I'll get less money".  I explained how our payroll systems takes the amount of any one week check, figures out how much this would be over a year, and that same tax rate would be applied to a paycheck over two weeks.  Nope, he's convinced a biweekly paycheck would mean less net pay because the government is evil. Oy.
I've pretty much given up arguing with people who reject such irrefutably simple math+logic arguments. There's something going on behind the face there that will drive you crazy if you try to reason with it.
Yea you can't really reason with the doesn't want to learn crowd.

Though I will mention there is actually an interesting corner case where switching to biweekly can cause an increase in taxes. Apparently this occurs once every five years or so? but it is possible to have 27 biweekly paychecks in a calendar year, instead of 26, since 52*7 = 364 =/= 365. This year is such an example - for those whose biweekly paychecks start 1/1 or 1/2. For those who start 1/1, they will get a 27th paycheck on 12/31. For those who start 1/2, they would get a paycheck on 1/1/2016, but some employers will issue a paycheck one day early in the case of a bank holiday. I'm paid biweekly and got my first paycheck on 1/2, so I may end up in this situation this year. I won't know until my employer publishes their pay schedule for the next fiscal year, which ends in June, not December.
Hence, once every 5(?) years, more of your income will be subject to your marginal rate, and hence, you will pay more in taxes.

But obviously, that's not what Apples's coworkers were talking about.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:46:01 AM by johnny847 »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6406 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
Yeah I hear ya, but for me, it is music to my ears! As a wholesaler, we don't sell much in the first quarter because retailers don't have much demand from their customers (many are tapped out after Christmas), but things perk up around mid-March as customers start collecting their tax returns.
Forgive the pedantry, but we're all financial hackers here, or at least trying to be, and precision counts: you submit a return to the government; you receive a refund.
--a former tax prep guy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:16:43 PM by zephyr911 »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6407 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

Though I will mention there is actually an interesting corner case where switching to biweekly can cause an increase in taxes. Apparently this occurs once every five years or so? but it is possible to have 27 biweekly paychecks in a calendar year, instead of 26, since 52*7 = 364 =/= 365. This year is such an example - for those whose biweekly paychecks start 1/1 or 1/2. For those who start 1/1, they will get a 27th paycheck on 12/31. For those who start 1/2, they would get a paycheck on 1/1/2016, but some employers will issue a paycheck one day early in the case of a bank holiday. I'm paid biweekly and got my first paycheck on 1/2, so I may end up in this situation this year. I won't know until my employer publishes their pay schedule for the next fiscal year, which ends in June, not December.
Hence, once every 5(?) years, more of your income will be subject to your marginal rate, and hence, you will pay more in taxes.

A lot of companies actually figured this out and decreased the bi-weekly paycheck to make the annual amount the same (for exempt)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6408 on: January 21, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »
A lot of companies actually figured this out and decreased the bi-weekly paycheck to make the annual amount the same (for exempt)
Oh that's good to hear.
But for people paid hourly, such as myself, this is still an issue (and I realize you know this - just pointing it out for others).

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6409 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Yeah I hear ya, but for me, it is music to my ears! As a wholesaler, we don't sell much in the first quarter because retailers don't have much demand from their customers (many are tapped out after Christmas), but things perk up around mid-March as customers start collecting their tax returns.
Forgive the pedantry, but we're all financial hackers here, or at least trying to be, and precision counts: you submit a return to the government; you receive a [/i]refund[/i].
--a former tax prep guy

If we expect people to learn about this stuff, we need to make sure we are using the right terminology.  Otherwise it's confusing for the people that are trying to learn. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6410 on: January 21, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
I was dreaming out loud about a full size pick up to a coworker, who chimined in yea those are spendy! I said, right?? They want $27k for a 4x4 crew cab f150, crazy. He said ohh it's more than that, I always get a higher package with leather , radio, and an upgraded horsepower engine etc...more like $55k. His current truck is a Nissan Frontier, basically a jalopy for broke contractors, that he has leather in! And the upgraded radio! Said he doesn't want to regret the better options down the road. Best part, he lives in attached housing with no yard and has been and will be a desk jockey paper pusher his whole life. wtf??

Yup. So if you're going to spend that much on a pickup to look cool, at least get a raptor. Then you look 'cool.' Or get an actually fun car, that isn't a fucking pickup truck, because you'll at least get some enjoyment out of it.

I mean, or don't spend nearly that much, but if you are... why the fuck would you get an f150?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6411 on: January 21, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »
Yeah, I have 27 paychecks this year I think. Slightly higher taxes this, slightly less next, I don't give a fuck.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #6412 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »
"It's so expensive to eat healthy. It's cheap to eat unhealthy."

The same person, minutes later...

"I've never eaten raw green beans before! I didn't know you even could eat raw green beans..."

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6413 on: January 21, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Yeah, I have 27 paychecks this year I think. Slightly higher taxes this, slightly less next, I don't give a fuck.
I think you're missing the point that I was trying to make. Using a biweekly system for hourly paid jobs raises taxes once every X years compared to a semimonthly or monthly pay cycle.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6414 on: January 21, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

"I've never eaten raw green beans before! I didn't know you even could eat raw green beans..."

Eating healthy doesn't necessarily need to be expensive nor difficult, I do recommend trying to encourage ways for her to be healthy.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6415 on: January 21, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
I agreed with your point, actually. I just added that I am happy to be in a position where it doesn't affect me materially.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6416 on: January 21, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
I was dreaming out loud about a full size pick up to a coworker, who chimined in yea those are spendy! I said, right?? They want $27k for a 4x4 crew cab f150, crazy. He said ohh it's more than that, I always get a higher package with leather , radio, and an upgraded horsepower engine etc...more like $55k. His current truck is a Nissan Frontier, basically a jalopy for broke contractors, that he has leather in! And the upgraded radio! Said he doesn't want to regret the better options down the road. Best part, he lives in attached housing with no yard and has been and will be a desk jockey paper pusher his whole life. wtf??

Yup. So if you're going to spend that much on a pickup to look cool, at least get a raptor. Then you look 'cool.' Or get an actually fun car, that isn't a fucking pickup truck, because you'll at least get some enjoyment out of it.

I mean, or don't spend nearly that much, but if you are... why the fuck would you get an f150?

I've always wondered why Ford doesn't just sell F150 strapons for the men who are insecure in their masculinity and seek out a truck based on their insecurity.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6417 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
I agreed with your point, actually. I just added that I am happy to be in a position where it doesn't affect me materially.
Ah gotcha.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6418 on: January 21, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »

oh yeah. that's a really big thing here. a lot of them barely fit in our parking garage.
Bama here. My office is full of people who drive full-size trucks and SUVs long distances carrying only themselves - and maybe a laptop - just to park at the office and sit in front of a computer all day. I don't get it. Some of them occasionally do outdoorsy stuff but most are sedentary retirees on their second career. Maybe they all make enough that gas doesn't figure in their equations, but every day when I walk in I just visualize huge piles of dollars going up in smoke.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #6419 on: January 21, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
My coworker has spent the last 8 weeks shopping for a car while at work.  I'm not sure what kind she finally settled on but it's a "good deal" for $38,600.  Talking to her during these last 2 months of shopping, and hearing about how stressful this search was, she mentioned one time they would have a baby in the next 1-2 years and another time a baby in 3-4 years and then at that point she would need to upgrade to a SUV for safety.  So sometime in the next 1-4 years, she will need to sell this car and buy a new expensive SUV.  I tried to talk her into keeping her current car-2009 VW Jetta with only 50k miles on it-until she has a baby and is ready to upgrade as it would relieve the stress and save money.  "I don't like to run my cars into the ground," was her response.

She also mentioned how she was going to go for the longer financing term because, "What if something comes up for $200, that lower payment can make a real difference."

jordanread

« Reply #6420 on: January 21, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
" that lower payment can make a real difference."

I suppose for her it would.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6421 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
When I first heard people talking about k-cups, I thought it was a new larger size of designer fake boobs. Larger than a D-cup, which is already larger than I find attractive.

You realize that K is already a size? Not a particularly uncommon one, relegated to Penthouse spreads?

No, but that sounds unappealing.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #6422 on: January 21, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
Just mentioned this guy in a new thread I started about tax returns... but same guy that maxed out his credit cards to buy a tactical fanny pack, knife, and few hundred dollar watch (that broke after a week on the job) went out and bough an AR-15 and two separate scopes for it... then was complaining that he had to wait two paychecks to afford bullets to go shooting (one paycheck went to the deposit to hold the gun, the next went to the other half of the gun....and the one he is waiting on will buy the bullets.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6423 on: January 21, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »
He needed the deluxe version because.... it is more tactical?

BryStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6424 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
CW was asking how I eat the same thing so many days in a row (my lovely girlfriend made some delicious homemade barbacoa). The same CW went to the Chipotle across the street 5/5 days for the same order.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:52:27 AM by BryStache »

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #6425 on: January 21, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »

Bama here. My office is full of people who drive full-size trucks and SUVs long distances carrying only themselves - and maybe a laptop - just to park at the office and sit in front of a computer all day. I don't get it. Some of them occasionally do outdoorsy stuff but most are sedentary retirees on their second career. Maybe they all make enough that gas doesn't figure in their equations, but every day when I walk in I just visualize huge piles of dollars going up in smoke.

Yep, I work with a few people who own lifted full-size trucks to tow their boat. Then, they buy something else for around $10k that "gets good gas mileage and keeps mileage off my truck".

Gilead1986

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6426 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »
Just mentioned this guy in a new thread I started about tax returns... but same guy that maxed out his credit cards to buy a tactical fanny pack, knife, and few hundred dollar watch (that broke after a week on the job) went out and bough an AR-15 and two separate scopes for it... then was complaining that he had to wait two paychecks to afford bullets to go shooting (one paycheck went to the deposit to hold the gun, the next went to the other half of the gun....and the one he is waiting on will buy the bullets.

One of my co-workers does the same thing.  When I told him that he should be putting money into retirement or saving for his kid, he says "what's the point, the worlds going to end soon anyways, may as well buy guns, ammunition and knives now".  With the money he's spent on guns he'll never use he could have bought a lathe and made as many guns as he wanted, and a belt grinder to make as many knives as he wanted.   

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6427 on: January 22, 2015, 07:11:01 AM »

They have 53 paychecks a year more often than the biweekly crowd has 27 paychecks a year, so this phenomenon happens to them more often than the office worker crowd that's getting all worked up about it this year (painting broad strokes here-not everyone cares/is getting worked up about it).  All but one are thrilled with their sizeable refunds each spring, so they probably don't notice the slightly higher effective tax rate.  But like zephyr said above, it's impossible to reason with people who don't want to learn and don' think this is a logical system that can be learned because the government is just out to take all their money.  So I just turn to this thread and share my frustrations with all of you enlightened folks :)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #6428 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:13 AM »

I didn't eat vegetables until I was out of college. It can happen. I really didn't like them at all and still don't love a lot of them. Peppers, onions, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes. That's all I'm comfortable with now. I'll eat pan fried green beans but they're not my top choice.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6429 on: January 22, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »

I didn't eat vegetables until I was out of college. It can happen. I really didn't like them at all and still don't love a lot of them. Peppers, onions, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes. That's all I'm comfortable with now. I'll eat pan fried green beans but they're not my top choice.

I feel like I have a pretty varied palate but I've never eaten raw green beans. I always cook them. Is that weird?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6430 on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »

I feel like I have a pretty varied palate but I've never eaten raw green beans. I always cook them. Is that weird?

Not weird. So long as they aren't limp I'm ok eating cooked vegetables. My mother hates cooked carrots, and another family member will only eat them cooked.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6431 on: January 22, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »

It's not weird, but you're missing out. :) Raw green beans picked out of the garden are my second favorite thing. Most favorite is fresh peas out of the garden.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #6432 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »

One of my co-workers does the same thing.  When I told him that he should be putting money into retirement or saving for his kid, he says "what's the point, the worlds going to end soon anyways, may as well buy guns, ammunition and knives now".  With the money he's spent on guns he'll never use he could have bought a lathe and made as many guns as he wanted, and a belt grinder to make as many knives as he wanted.

It's pretty disturbing that people who think like this are so heavily armed.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6433 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
They have 53 paychecks a year more often than the biweekly crowd has 27 paychecks a year, so this phenomenon happens to them more often than the office worker crowd that's getting all worked up about it this year (painting broad strokes here-not everyone cares/is getting worked up about it).  All but one are thrilled with their sizeable refunds each spring, so they probably don't notice the slightly higher effective tax rate. 
Haha oh yea I forgot that there are weekly pay schedules. I didn't realize that until I was looking up the withholding tables that employers use, and saw there was a chart for a weekly pay cycle.

But like zephyr said above, it's impossible to reason with people who don't want to learn and don' think this is a logical system that can be learned because the government is just out to take all their money.  So I just turn to this thread and share my frustrations with all of you enlightened folks :)
It is one of the ways that I pass the time while procrastinating =P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:16:55 AM by johnny847 »

Gilead1986

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6434 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »

Considering that he hasn't focused on any of the real aspects of survival like toughening your body,going without, farming, or knowledge and skills acquisition I'd say that's a fair assessment. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6435 on: January 22, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »

Considering that he hasn't focused on any of the real aspects of survival like toughening your body,going without, farming, or knowledge and skills acquisition I'd say that's a fair assessment.

When I asked him why he needed the AR-15/knife etc. he said "for protection" and I asked, "What are you protecting? Your maxed out credit card?" He laughed and said it wouldn't be maxed out when he got his tax return. I give it two weeks tops

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6436 on: January 22, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6437 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
So a guy at work got into a car accident. T-boned a guy, everyone was ok. Says he's T-boned a guy every 4 years in the winter (3 times now, fairly consistent). Says he's gonna get a new car on lease to replace the old one (that was also on lease). I asked if he'd consider a used car, and he told me he's done that and hates having to pay for repairs. I said he's paying more on lease to avoid repairs than I have ever owning my car (10 years almost). He wouldn't hear it. He lives in NYC and honestly wouldn't need a car. At least it's going to be a car (civic kinda thing). Best quote of all of this: "at least the insurance will cover the rest of the lease so I can get a new one". I shudder to think what he pays in insurance on top of the lease price.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6438 on: January 22, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »

Basic gun safety fail...  Finger should be off the trigger. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6439 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
I think it is trying to hide in the hole so he doesn't eat it too

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #6440 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »

It's not weird, but you're missing out. :) Raw green beans picked out of the garden are my second favorite thing. Most favorite is fresh peas out of the garden.

QFT... I love picking and eating a few fresh out of the garden here and there while I'm harvesting!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #6441 on: January 22, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

QFT... I love picking and eating a few fresh out of the garden here and there while I'm harvesting!
[/quote]

When I was in high school I had a summer job moving irrigation pipe for a near-by farmer (work white people won't do, I'm told now) and he raised green beans, sweet corn, and dicing carrots, the big fat ones.  I was always surprised he had anything left to sell to the cannery, I ate so much.  Maybe constantly starving teenagers shouldn't work around food.

Now I inspect the canned and frozen vegetables for a living.  I tell people I only eat vegetables if I'm paid to, but it's just a joke.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6442 on: January 22, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
I think it is trying to hide in the hole so he doesn't eat it too
You are more dangerous then this guy. That nearly chocked me to death by laughing.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6443 on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »

Basic gun safety fail...  Finger should be off the trigger.

My DH is always telling the TV how unsafe their gun practices are, when we are watching a movie or show. It's pretty scary because watching on people on TV is about all the gun knowledge most people have.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6444 on: January 22, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »
When I first heard people talking about k-cups, I thought it was a new larger size of designer fake boobs. Larger than a D-cup, which is already larger than I find attractive.

You realize that K is already a size? Not a particularly uncommon one, relegated to Penthouse spreads?

A friend of mine who is a petite size 10 normally breast fed triplets. She had to get her M cup breastfeeding bra imported from the UK.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #6445 on: January 22, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »

A friend of mine who is a petite size 10 normally breast fed triplets. She had to get her M cup breastfeeding bra imported from the UK.

Right? Cup size is simply the difference between rib measurement above the waist, right under the breast tissue and bust (roughly around the nipple line) measurement. Each inch goes up a letter. So a 32K would have a 32 inch rib cage and a 43 inch bust measurement. Not freakish at all, especially for a larger frame or a taller person.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #6446 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »
Later we were talking about stocks, and he unimpressed that I don't have anything that's up 4000% this year (not that he does either, all his cash flow goes to sports car payments at 8% interest.)  I tried to explain dividends and compounding and tax efficiency, but, he started to zone out.

That in a nutshell is a huge reason why many professional athletes are broke. I finally watched the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke," on this and they interviewed a few investment planners that stated that almost none of the athletes would touch mutual funds. They wanted sexy investments like restaurants, and things that would have a 400% investment.

I think I read a story recently about Carmelo hiring a "financial planner" that said they were looking at business plans that would produce a "10,000% ROI." I think the investments also came with snake oil... Not sure though.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #6447 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
Later we were talking about stocks, and he unimpressed that I don't have anything that's up 4000% this year (not that he does either, all his cash flow goes to sports car payments at 8% interest.)  I tried to explain dividends and compounding and tax efficiency, but, he started to zone out.

That in a nutshell is a huge reason why many professional athletes are broke. I finally watched the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke," on this and they interviewed a few investment planners that stated that almost none of the athletes would touch mutual funds. They wanted sexy investments like restaurants, and things that would have a 400% investment.

I think I read a story recently about Carmelo hiring a "financial planner" that said they were looking at business plans that would produce a "10,000% ROI." I think the investments also came with snake oil... Not sure though.

We've got a thread going on about that specific story:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/nba-player-looking-for-10-000-roi/msg527031

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #6448 on: January 23, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
So a guy at work got into a car accident. T-boned a guy, everyone was ok. Says he's T-boned a guy every 4 years in the winter (3 times now, fairly consistent). Says he's gonna get a new car on lease to replace the old one (that was also on lease). I asked if he'd consider a used car, and he told me he's done that and hates having to pay for repairs. I said he's paying more on lease to avoid repairs than I have ever owning my car (10 years almost). He wouldn't hear it. He lives in NYC and honestly wouldn't need a car. At least it's going to be a car (civic kinda thing). Best quote of all of this: "at least the insurance will cover the rest of the lease so I can get a new one". I shudder to think what he pays in insurance on top of the lease price.

gap insurance( the difference between the value of the car and how much you owed the leasing company)  should be build into the price of the lease, or the financing, and its like 500 bucks max.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6449 on: January 23, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »
Two CWs, both want puppies. I'm all for rescue. We're in Chicago, Illinois.

CW1: I've been thinking of getting a puppy for a while now. I found a breeder in Arizona, the puppies are {insert very expensive breed, I have no memory} are $1250 each. But they have this adorable brother and sister pair, and if I get two then I get a discount on the 2nd.
Me: They're in Arizona, right? How do they get here safely?
CW1: Oh they'll send them on a plane. Both and travel costs are only $5k.
Me: Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to the shelters and find a puppy you like?
CW1: But shelter dogs have so many problems, I really want a pure bred.
CW2: I'm also getting a puppy. I found a breeder in Iowa, they have {insert very expensive breed}, and there's one that's so cute. Only $1000, and that includes transportation.
Me: [unable to process the waste and shame, there's a high probability that these are puppy mills]. ....

Great thoughts right here. Purebreds never have any health problems...

Right. We have rescued every animal we have ever owned, and they have turned out to be the best pets I've ever seen.  Smart, good tempered, kind, etc.  Also, from everything I've seen... breeder dogs have had way more problems than mutts we have found.
I've seen a lot of purebred animals in shelters, why would anyone believe that rescues are always mixed?

Because generally they are, also there are some people for whom when they state "purebred," they are referring to the dog also have a pedigree and papers. I don't know enough, but maybe that is what people are thinking about? In general when I was looking to adopt a dog, I was looking for mixed breeds as I assumed that nearly any purebred would be from a mill and that while a mixed breed dog likely is, I figured that the dog would have less of a risk of hereditary disease. Not sure if I was right in my assumptions, but that was my reasoning.

Haven't been here in a while... anyway update on the 3 puppies. All are very cute (I've seen many pictures). 2 had health problems when she got them, so put in god knows how much money with the vet. She got them healthy, then they promptly ate something they shouldn't have and required more vet trips. They've been good for a while now, so hopefully she's good to go.

The 3rd has been fine.