Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252695 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6250 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »
One of our CW had a Pandora for Christmas. All the girls were staring at it and make kind compliments.

Later this afternoon...

CW: You may buy a Pandora to your wife someday, like heu..for birthday! It's nice and she would like it.
me: ..........(facepalm in my head as usual)

wtf, I don't know where they pick idea like this one, I'm clueless

for the record, my wife buy as much stuff as she feel she need and I swear it is probably 5x the Mustachian level.

I had to google that.. I thought it was just an internet radio station.
me too.  So, it's a bracelet?
It's so much more than a bracelet!  It's a way to throw away money for years!  I'm so fascinated by the Pandora phenomenon.  I might quiz our admin about her bracelet, which isn't as ugly as the bracelet that I posted earlier.  However, the bracelet is not (what I would call) subtle or classic.

I am old. I am woman. I've seen many of these things within the overall trend of: "add a part" jewelry. When you think about it, it's actually a fabulous way for men to satisfy their woman's yen for gifts. It's so much easier to pick up a charm than it is to really think of an appropriate present she will love.

I don't mean this in a facetious way; I don't place the burden of "The Perfect Present" on my husband, I just don't have those expectations. But SO MANY women DO have those expectations, and the poor guys have to run around like chickens at gift obligation time.

These "add a thing" pieces of jewelry really help them out.  Before this Pandora thing, remember those baby shoe charms thingies? They had options that hit all markets, versions with platinum/ gold/ diamonds, or versions with gold plating/rhinestones. Then back in my day there were Add-A-Pearl necklaces. Also there were classic charm bracelets, where, again, high end and low end existed in the marketplace for all levels of spending.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:38:22 PM by iris lily »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6251 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
I'm eating lunch with a bunch of co-workers. We all make fairly high salaries. Anyway, the topic of housing comes up and I say how crazy I think the prices are in Silicon Valley.

Everyone is agreeing with me. Then they start talking about their 5 or 6 bedroom places (for 3 or 4 people) in case guests come. The best part was one of them LOCKS THE DOORS of 2 of the rooms for almost the entire year so they don't have to clean it and the kids can't get in.

I also learned of a new thing... a "second kitchen" that people build in the garage or somewhere with the same fancy appliances as the real kitchen, but they use the second kitchen so the real kitchen doesn't get dirty... so their place looks good for guests i guess.

Then i asked how often guests come over to stay, and they all say a couple to a few times a year. I asked if it made more sense to get a smaller place for like... literally 500k to 1M less and use the saving to rent a hall  for big parties and pay for hotel rooms for the close friends or family who would stay over 1 or 2 times a year. I thought I was a genius and had just saved them oodles of money... but the idea was not taken well :(

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6252 on: January 08, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
Before this Pandora thing, remember those baby shoe charms thingies? They had options that hit all markets, versions with platinum/ gold/ diamonds, or versions with gold plating/rhinestones. Then back in my day there were Add-A-Pearl necklaces. Also there were classic charm bracelets, where, again, high end and low end existed in the marketplace for all levels of spending.

I knew about charm bracelets, but I thought charm bracelets were for children.  I had one when I was young.  My mother kept her childhood charm bracelet in her jewelry box.  I don't know if I've seen an adult wear a charm bracelet. 

I had to Google baby shoe charms and add a pearl necklaces (http://www.addapearl.com/). 

You're completely right, iris lily.  The build-a-piece-of-jewelry is definitely a trend that I had completely ignored.  This whole phenomenon is fascinating.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6253 on: January 09, 2015, 06:17:58 AM »
Quote from: iris lily
I am old. I am woman. I've seen many of these things within the overall trend of: "add a part" jewelry. When you think about it, it's actually a fabulous way for men to satisfy their woman's yen for gifts. It's so much easier to pick up a charm than it is to really think of an appropriate present she will love.

I don't mean this in a facetious way; I don't place the burden of "The Perfect Present" on my husband, I just don't have those expectations. But SO MANY women DO have those expectations, and the poor guys have to run around like chickens at gift obligation time.

These "add a thing" pieces of jewelry really help them out.  Before this Pandora thing, remember those baby shoe charms thingies? They had options that hit all markets, versions with platinum/ gold/ diamonds, or versions with gold plating/rhinestones. Then back in my day there were Add-A-Pearl necklaces. Also there were classic charm bracelets, where, again, high end and low end existed in the marketplace for all levels of spending.

Bingo.  In my pre MMM days that is exactly why I bought a pandora bracelet.  I once got yelled at because the 'diamond' earrings I bought a girl didn't have high enough quality diamonds.  Yea....    However she loved that stupid pandora bracelet and any little trinkets I got for it.  You have a cat, here is a cat charm.  Made her super excited.   So glad she is in the past.

Gwyddyon

« Reply #6254 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:39 AM »

Bingo.  In my pre MMM days that is exactly why I bought a pandora bracelet.  I once got yelled at because the 'diamond' earrings I bought a girl didn't have high enough quality diamonds.  Yea....    However she loved that stupid pandora bracelet and any little trinkets I got for it.  You have a cat, here is a cat charm.  Made her super excited.   So glad she is in the past.

Yelled at for diamponds. Wow. I'm so glad my wife only gets slightly annoyed when I forget which metal she's allergic to while buying her cubic zirconia studs at Claire's!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6255 on: January 09, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

One of my clients owns one so my haircuts are free except the tip.
Haha!  I'll have to ask my DH about it.  He goes to one of the sports clips (?) to get his haircut.  He used to go to Great Clips until we moved.  The sport place is closer and is the same price.  He's never mentioned beer, scantily clad women or a pool table.
He surely thought it wasnt something you are interested in so he didnt talk about it ;)

Well, same price, shorter way, a game or two and something nice to rest your eyes on instead on your own ugly face is surely an improvement. And since I dont drink beer I can give it as a present to seomone else. Sounds like a good package!

For me as a Japan fan this instantly crops up the question if there is a maid version of this, too... YES http://www.smh.com.au/ftimages/2005/09/07/1125772575878.html
Oh, I love Japan :D :D
And of course in Akihabara, where else lol

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6256 on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »
Buddy at work has two huskies. He was talking about getting a minivan (new, of course) with fold-down seats so that for the occasional long road trip, the dogs can romp around in the back and be happy, and there would still be room to haul luggage and other stuff.

He's already got a Beemer, a huge Ford pickup, and a motorcycle... I don't think any of them are paid off, either...

Dogs, like kids, will always want to sit in the front seat.  So, his new mini van will have a lot of unused space :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6257 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
Buddy at work has two huskies. He was talking about getting a minivan (new, of course) with fold-down seats so that for the occasional long road trip, the dogs can romp around in the back and be happy, and there would still be room to haul luggage and other stuff.

He's already got a Beemer, a huge Ford pickup, and a motorcycle... I don't think any of them are paid off, either...

Dogs, like kids, will always want to sit in the front seat.  So, his new mini van will have a lot of unused space :)
Oh no they won't. My dogs always hated the front seat. They're also not fond of the hatch and prefer to sit in the back seat

Our female Dane would very much prefer to drive, thanks. :-) Another reason to strap the dogs in.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6258 on: January 09, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »

Yah, well, I might have yelled at you too, if you got me diamonds instead of the new coffee mug or garden shovel I wanted....

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #6259 on: January 09, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »

Oh no they won't. My dogs always hated the front seat. They're also not fond of the hatch and prefer to sit in the back seat

Our female Dane would very much prefer to drive, thanks. :-) Another reason to strap the dogs in.
Our boxer/pit mix prefers to spend the better part of the trip standing with his front paws on the center console and his head between SWMBO's and mine, or lying with his head resting on my arm (when I'm trying to drive).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6260 on: January 09, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
I do not understand what this "sports" hair salon thing is. Is it just a hair salon with a bunch of sports memorabilia and TVs with sports games being shown? Are there men yelling "FOOTBALL" while giving or receiving hair cuts?

These are all the rage around here.  I can think of 4 or 5 within a couple of miles.  They give you beer when you walk in, there are sports on TVs all over the place, pictures of scantily clad women and cars on the walls, scantily clad women do the hair cutting.  There's even one that has a pool table. 

Haha!  I'll have to ask my DH about it.  He goes to one of the sports clips (?) to get his haircut.  He used to go to Great Clips until we moved.  The sport place is closer and is the same price.  He's never mentioned beer, scantily clad women or a pool table.

I've been there a couple times in a pinch. They are dressed like referees, kinda. No beer, pool, or missing clothing. Just some sports decorations and tvs.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6261 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »

I've been there a couple times in a pinch. They are dressed like referees, kinda. No beer, pool, or missing clothing. Just some sports decorations and tvs.

I haven't been to one, but that's the impression I have. I usually go to Fantastic Sam's, but growing up we always went to Great Clips. I prefer Sam's as they will shampoo my hair and the stylists there appear to be more professional, and with coupons it oftentimes is the same price.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6262 on: January 09, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
I went to one of those places last week. They have $1 beers (which I didn't want early on a Saturday morning) but I didn't think the price was terrible for the big city.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #6263 on: January 09, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
So things are pretty slow at my job. We are union and due to all the rules, they can't just fire people which is kind of nice. However, they can shave people's schedules. My co-workers are making in the low 100K/yr. I'm pretty excited to work a few fewer hours per week which just means more free time which I am all for.

However, there is one woman in particular who is having a meltdown over this. She is a single parent with 2 teenage kids so that's not all cheap I understand. BUT she drives a new Volvo SUV, goes new clothes shopping all the time, and is having a lavish second wedding. It sounds as if just working 2 hours a week fewer is going to put her in the poor house.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6264 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
Before this Pandora thing, remember those baby shoe charms thingies? They had options that hit all markets, versions with platinum/ gold/ diamonds, or versions with gold plating/rhinestones. Then back in my day there were Add-A-Pearl necklaces. Also there were classic charm bracelets, where, again, high end and low end existed in the marketplace for all levels of spending.
I knew about charm bracelets, but I thought charm bracelets were for children.  I had one when I was young.  My mother kept her childhood charm bracelet in her jewelry box.  I don't know if I've seen an adult wear a charm bracelet. 
Welp, for the first time I actually feel Anti-Mustachian. I have a gold charm bracelet which I still add charms too... Even worse, I don't wear it. I keep it as like a 'diary' of my life's events, and I have a summary in my jewelry box which describes what each of the charms mean. E.g. I have a mortar board depicting my honours degree, an apple for my education degree, and a Tower Bridge for the time I represented Australia at this maths thing in London as a teenager. Shit like that. I'll pass it onto my [yet to be born] daughter when I die, probs.

People collect all kind of crap. At least mine 'means' something (lol) and is small enough to be kept in my underwear drawer.

CAtoTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6265 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
So I'm talking to this girl at work and she is talking about how frugal she is....well except she is trying to save for her wedding but keeps blowing the budget...and then she tends to buy nice things when she is stressed, and of course the wedding is stressing her out...and she also likes to go out for a nice dinner once a week which she says is at least $200 for her and her boyfriend with drinks and appetizers and entrees and dessert....so suddenly she can't pay off the credit card every month....
I smiled and let her talk. But then a few days later she is suddenly talking to another person about how hard it is to park big trucks. And come to find out she has gone out and bought a newer (new to her) Toyota Sequoia and it's out in the parking lot wedged between the other cars.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #6266 on: January 09, 2015, 11:05:21 PM »
A few weeks ago, some guys from work and I were volunteering at a Habitat for Humanity project. Turns out one of them is a landlord.

Mortgage is $800. He rents out the house for $1000. Property manager fee is $100. So, he says that he makes about $1000 a month after all is said and done...

Before property taxes. Before insurance. Before maintenance and repairs.

I guess you could say that he's probably going to spend $100+ a month for twenty+ years in order to own a home free and clear at the end of that term, but even then, so what? He'll have a thirty year old house that will likely need significant renovations in order to rent out for good money or to live in.

It's not quite as bad as credit card debt or wasteful spending, but this is really not the best you could do as far as investments are concerned.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6267 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »
$100 a month for 20 years is $24,000. Sounds like a fucking good buy to me.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #6268 on: January 10, 2015, 02:41:45 AM »

And then it will bring in $12,000 a year. It's what I'm using for my pension.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6269 on: January 10, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »

Then i asked how often guests come over to stay, and they all say a couple to a few times a year. I asked if it made more sense to get a smaller place for like... literally 500k to 1M less and use the saving to rent a hall  for big parties and pay for hotel rooms for the close friends or family who would stay over 1 or 2 times a year. I thought I was a genius and had just saved them oodles of money... but the idea was not taken well :(

I've done that. I live downtown and it was about 50K for the difference between a 1 and 2 bedroom. Most people who stay can sleep on my couch or an air mattress but I figure at times it will be easier for me to pay/help out with a hotel (like once my brother and his wife have kids).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6270 on: January 10, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
While researching MER's today, I recalled a good one from last year.

Our Group Retirement plan sent out a fancy letter announcing large reductions in their management fees on some of their products they offer us.    Indicated that they have among the lowest management fees in the industry, and show the old and new %'s listed beside 5-6 funds.

These were impressive numbers for a managed fund, all between 1% and 1.5%.  But I was confused at the low low numbers, as all of them were for their fancy "wrap" products (e.g., target retirement date, funds that invest in other mutual funds, etc.)  So I took the time to look into it.

Turns out the MER's were still among the highest in the industry and in their group of offerings.   only the Management fee portion was reduced.  No mention of MERs on the letter.

This was designed to fool somewhat financially savvy persons into thinking that MERs were now low, and that these were the lowest fee funds around.   

Instead, it was a  Management fees announcement disguised as MER announcement.  Media heavily talks about MERs and mutual funds over 2% to be avoided...  Nearly no one hears management advice / info for Management fees separately.

I mentioned my frustration with this type of misleading advertising to my boss, as we were getting coffee from the pot.  A few others were around, and between the blank looks ("MER"?) and "I never read the financial announcements from our retirement plan provider"... I realized that this otherwise savvy group, who I think have excellent retirement savings themselves, and area all within 3-10 years of retirement, really had no idea..

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #6271 on: January 11, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »

It's not. If it's before taxes and maintenance costs, it's terrible. There's a reason that most real estate investors assume that 50% of gross rents go to expenses. This guy is probably at least -$200 per month when all is said and done, he just doesn't realize it (or doesn't want to admit it).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:42:14 AM by Winston »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6272 on: January 11, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »
So things are pretty slow at my job. We are union and due to all the rules, they can't just fire people which is kind of nice. However, they can shave people's schedules. My co-workers are making in the low 100K/yr. I'm pretty excited to work a few fewer hours per week which just means more free time which I am all for.

However, there is one woman in particular who is having a meltdown over this. She is a single parent with 2 teenage kids so that's not all cheap I understand. BUT she drives a new Volvo SUV, goes new clothes shopping all the time, and is having a lavish second wedding. It sounds as if just working 2 hours a week fewer is going to put her in the poor house.
I wonder about this too.  I have a couple of coworkers, married to each other.  We've had two layoffs, they both survived the layoffs, because they are both awesome people and workers.

But we cut so deep the second time that the wife got demoted (her position was eliminated and we opted to move her back to her old position).  So, while she didn't get a pay cut, she lost her "lead" differential and her "shift" changed so that extra amount got cut too.  And we changed shifts so that there was no more overtime.

She seems desperate for overtime now (which they get occasionally).  They don't seem to be spendy.  I think they rent out their house in their old town.  They live in a motorhome and only pay space rent.  I think she seems to be helping out others a lot, maybe that's the issue.  And there might be economic outpatient care for their adult children.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6273 on: January 11, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »

It's not. If it's before taxes and maintenance costs, it's terrible. There's a reason that most real estate investors assume that 50% of gross rents go to expenses. This guy is probably at least -$200 per month when all is said and done, he just doesn't know/realize it.

It depends on the market over the next years/decades, right?

So I have a friend who I tease is becoming a slum lord.  He doesn't really like 401ks.  So he bought a condo, lived in it.  Then he bought another condo (foreclosure) when the market was down, and rents it out.  This one is very cash positive.  Then he bought a house for his wife and kids and him to live it, and rents out the first condo.  But the first condo isn't cash positive - it breaks even before taxes.

Overall, he's a little cash positive.

The housing market has swung so much the last 15 years that it depends on when you buy.  But right now a 2BR house or condo is renting for $3000+ a month.  Now, if we rented our house, based on when we bought (bad time), that would pay mortgage, taxes, insurance, nothing left over.

However, 10 years from now, if rents are $4000/month, it would be cash positive.  Same with my friend.  In the long run, if rents keep increasing, he will have two cash positive rentals.

It's very market dependent though.  Small towns with not a lot of jobs wouldn't fare as well, I expect.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #6274 on: January 11, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
It depends on the market over the next years/decades, right?

*Everything* depends on the market, though. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to bank on future valuation increases (see: housing market bubble), especially when your investment is costing you money every month. My stock market portfolio may be in the toilet any given month/year/decade, but it's not debiting my bank account like a house will. It's also not costing me time and aggravation like dealing with house/tenant stuff will (even with a property manager).

I understand that the approach can work and does work for some... but isn't it worth it to just hold out until you find RE that is cashflow positive?

Anyway... I feel like we're getting off topic here and that this discussion belongs in the RE/Landlording subforum. My apologies for that.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #6275 on: January 11, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
A coworker told me I should buy a sports car, because it would make me happier.  I couldn't help laughing at him.

Later we were talking about stocks, and he unimpressed that I don't have anything that's up 4000% this year (not that he does either, all his cash flow goes to sports car payments at 8% interest.)  I tried to explain dividends and compounding and tax efficiency, but, he started to zone out.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6276 on: January 11, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
This company will continue to do amazing.  I promise. 

You must not have lived through previous fads.  :)
I have my mom's charm bracelet from when she was a girl. 
When I was in HS, charm bracelets were hugely popular.
These are just another collector item.  In 5 years, they will be just as valuable as beanie babies and cabbage patch dolls.  I promise. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6277 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
A coworker told me I should buy a sports car, because it would make me happier.  I couldn't help laughing at him.

Later we were talking about stocks, and he unimpressed that I don't have anything that's up 4000% this year (not that he does either, all his cash flow goes to sports car payments at 8% interest.)  I tried to explain dividends and compounding and tax efficiency, but, he started to zone out.

I have a sports car. It makes me happier. But I have never paid interest on it, that's just stupid.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #6278 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:51 AM »
I went to one of those places last week. They have $1 beers (which I didn't want early on a Saturday morning) but I didn't think the price was terrible for the big city.

Now I can't get the idea of beer with hair clippings in it out of my head.  Yech.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6279 on: January 12, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »

Now I can't get the idea of beer with hair clippings in it out of my head.  Yech.

Depending on the beer, it would enhance the flavor to swallow the hair clippings.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:10:52 PM by fantabulous »

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6280 on: January 13, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »

Lol, I thought that as well, but they cover your drink with the cape. Soft drinks were free.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #6281 on: January 13, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
Every so often I think we need an "overheard/observed in family".  But I'm not so sure if it would be a good idea... any thoughts?

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6282 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
Every so often I think we need an "overheard/observed in family".  But I'm not so sure if it would be a good idea... any thoughts?

We should change the thread title to "Overheard at *"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6283 on: January 13, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »

That in a nutshell is a huge reason why many professional athletes are broke. I finally watched the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke," on this and they interviewed a few investment planners that stated that almost none of the athletes would touch mutual funds. They wanted sexy investments like restaurants, and things that would have a 400% investment.

jordanread

« Reply #6284 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »

We should change the thread title to "Overheard at *"

I always find it kind of fun to start every post in this thread with "Well, I didn't hear it at work..."

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6285 on: January 13, 2015, 04:06:33 PM »
A kitchen remodel is on our list in the next 5 or so years...  My wife showed me a stove she liked that cost $48k; sinking 100k overall is certainly possible if you go high end with a decent size space. 

(And no, we're not getting that stove or the more reasonable one that was only 13k.)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6286 on: January 13, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
A kitchen remodel is on our list in the next 5 or so years...  My wife showed me a stove she liked that cost $48k; sinking 100k overall is certainly possible if you go high end with a decent size space. 

(And no, we're not getting that stove or the more reasonable one that was only 13k.)

Holy Tallulah!   I have a spendy extravagant kitchen and went for $6k appliances (for all of them).   Top the line Kitchen Aid, but not commercial or custom.  (bought in 2009).   How the heck? 

..!...

(..........still gasping like a fish.....)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6287 on: January 13, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

That in a nutshell is a huge reason why many professional athletes are broke. I finally watched the 30 for 30 documentary "Broke," on this and they interviewed a few investment planners that stated that almost none of the athletes would touch mutual funds. They wanted sexy investments like restaurants, and things that would have a 400% investment.
I love the 30 for 30 series.  "Broke" is my favorite.  So good!

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6288 on: January 13, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
We're attempting to add direct deposit capabilities to our payroll, and I was discussing it with our employees (8 guys, all h.s. educated but not much if any more).  While talking about their pay just being deposited each week and receiving a paper showing your 401k deduction and taxes paid each week instead, the boss mentioned the possibility of changing to paying biweekly.  One guy says "well the paycheck will be bigger, so the government will take more taxes out, and I'll get less money".  I explained how our payroll systems takes the amount of any one week check, figures out how much this would be over a year, and that same tax rate would be applied to a paycheck over two weeks.  Nope, he's convinced a biweekly paycheck would mean less net pay because the government is evil. Oy.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6289 on: January 13, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »

I'd be scared if my wife even looked at things like that.  Might want to get rid of the joint checking account.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6290 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6291 on: January 13, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »
How much does it cost to get an industrial kitchen stove like you might see at big restaurants?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6292 on: January 14, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »
How much does it cost to get an industrial kitchen stove like you might see at big restaurants?
Significantly less than sticker price if you buy it at one of the dozen restaurants that goes out of business in your area every year.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6293 on: January 14, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
We're attempting to add direct deposit capabilities to our payroll, and I was discussing it with our employees (8 guys, all h.s. educated but not much if any more).  While talking about their pay just being deposited each week and receiving a paper showing your 401k deduction and taxes paid each week instead, the boss mentioned the possibility of changing to paying biweekly.  One guy says "well the paycheck will be bigger, so the government will take more taxes out, and I'll get less money".  I explained how our payroll systems takes the amount of any one week check, figures out how much this would be over a year, and that same tax rate would be applied to a paycheck over two weeks.  Nope, he's convinced a biweekly paycheck would mean less net pay because the government is evil. Oy.

i assume these guys get OT from time to time so thats whats confusing him b/c OT is taxed at a higher rate than standard pay so he doesnt see his paycheck double when he works an extra 40 hours. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6294 on: January 14, 2015, 06:46:51 AM »

i assume these guys get OT from time to time so thats whats confusing him b/c OT is taxed at a higher rate than standard pay so he doesnt see his paycheck double when he works an extra 40 hours.

OT is taxed at a higher rate than standard pay?!? really? I can't think of why this might be unless it pushes you into a higher tax bracket. then again I have no idea what I'm talking about because I don't think I've ever worked a job with OT, but my boyfriend does and I've never heard him say anything about it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6295 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »

Um no, OT is not taxed at higher than standard rate. It is taxed the same way as normal income. It is withheld at a higher rate, because for every paycheck it withholds as if you will earn that much money for every pay cycle in the year.
People really need to separate tax withholding from actual tax liability. They are two complete separate things that do not affect one another (barring the exception of underwithholding can cause you to pay penalties for underpayment of tax, thereby increasing your tax liability. But so long as you don't do that, these are completely unrelated).

----

Not overheard at work, but I go on a group bike ride on Sundays. The group leader mentioned last time he has this great mobile hotspot service for just $40/month! Which he uses for strictly non work purposes (mostly just streaming Pandora to his iPad). He thought it was a steal. I just nodded along, thinking what an idiot. That $40/month is in addition to whatever cell phone plan he has.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:50:08 AM by johnny847 »

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #6296 on: January 14, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
My boss told me this morning that she drove into the city to park across the street because it was too cold to walk the ten minutes to our office building from the train station. $23 to park + 50 min driving her SUV here, plus the time and gas it will take her to get home this afternoon in I-93 Boston traffic. Her normal commute on the train is 100% subsidized by our employer.

Temperature was in the teens early this morning. And she could have taken the $2 subway ride to the T station across the street, but she thought it would have been too crowded to go the ONE STOP. Oy!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6297 on: January 14, 2015, 08:10:11 AM »

Not overheard at work, but I go on a group bike ride on Sundays. The group leader mentioned last time he has this great mobile hotspot service for just $40/month! Which he uses for strictly non work purposes (mostly just streaming Pandora to his iPad). He thought it was a steal. I just nodded along, thinking what an idiot. That $40/month is in addition to whatever cell phone plan he has.

Your call, but I was paying that much for my hotspot prior to learning about Freedompop. Now I'm saving a ton of money that would otherwise be wasted.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6298 on: January 14, 2015, 08:28:25 AM »

Your call, but I was paying that much for my hotspot prior to learning about Freedompop. Now I'm saving a ton of money that would otherwise be wasted.
? I'm saying the dude is wasting money....

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6299 on: January 14, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »

Um no, OT is not taxed at higher than standard rate. It is taxed the same way as normal income. It is withheld at a higher rate, because for every paycheck it withholds as if you will earn that much money for every pay cycle in the year.
People really need to separate tax withholding from actual tax liability. They are two complete separate things that do not affect one another (barring the exception of underwithholding can cause you to pay penalties for underpayment of tax, thereby increasing your tax liability. But so long as you don't do that, these are completely unrelated).

They don't get OT.  We are a farm; their hours change throughout the year but there's no OT.  They get one check with a bonus in it per year, which does have a higher withholding.  I've been here two years and they've never noticed it.  They all get refund checks in the spring anyway.  And it's possible there's a change from winter 40 hour weeks to summer/fall 55 hour weeks in % withheld.  But going from 1 40 hour paycheck for 1 week to 1 80 hour paycheck for 2 weeks (or 55 to 110 hours) won't change the withholding rate.  Can't convince him of it, at all.  Obama. Evil.  Liars. IRS is the KGB.  Let alone their effective income tax rate is probably 5% or less.