Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252783 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #6150 on: January 01, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
Do any of you women who keep you hair short consider getting it cut by a barber?

Mine is also not like a man's cut.  If it's not thinned with a razor, I wake up looking like a some sort of hybrid of a Brillo pad and a Peruvian Guinea Pig, depending on the exact current length.  I pay $42 every 5-6 weeks.  Sucks, but kinda worth it to not have to do battle with it every morning because of a crappy cut that doesn't help it lay right.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6151 on: January 01, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
A barber wouldn't work for my short haircut.  It's nothing like a man's cut at all.  I moved to Phoenix 20 years ago and in 3 years there, I never found anyone who could cut my hair like I like it.  I always looked like a Holocaust refugee.  It was awful.  Was so happy to move home to get my hair cut by the person who has been doing it since the mid-80s.  Seriously considering growing it out once we retire and move nex Thanksgiving just because the idea of finding someone else to cut it like this is so stressful.  Not sure yet which will be worse... finding someone new to cut it like it or growing it out knowing how bad it's going to look.  :(

Have your stylist take some pictures after they cut it, so you can show it to potential new stylists, if you haven't tried that yet.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6152 on: January 01, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
A barber wouldn't work for my short haircut.  It's nothing like a man's cut at all.  I moved to Phoenix 20 years ago and in 3 years there, I never found anyone who could cut my hair like I like it.  I always looked like a Holocaust refugee.  It was awful.  Was so happy to move home to get my hair cut by the person who has been doing it since the mid-80s.  Seriously considering growing it out once we retire and move nex Thanksgiving just because the idea of finding someone else to cut it like this is so stressful.  Not sure yet which will be worse... finding someone new to cut it like it or growing it out knowing how bad it's going to look.  :(

Have you considered just shaving your head and wearing a wig? I think about it from time to time.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #6153 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »

Oh I know just how you feel. I actually did give up on keeping it short and started growing my hair out last summer. It's taking forever and the whole thing is one long testament to the triumph of hope over experience. I once read an essay by a guy describing getting a haircut as a demoralizing experience because, as he put it, hairdressers see him not as a human being but as an arduous afternoon project with limited potential. I could totally relate.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #6154 on: January 02, 2015, 06:02:41 AM »
I took pictures from all different sides immediately after getting my haircut by my usual stylist and then, just 3 weeks later, took them with me to show the new stylist what I wanted.  Plus, you'd think since it was just 3 weeks later, they could get the idea to do the same thing, just a bit shorter.  NEVER worked.  EVER.  I suffered the bad haircuts and then, ever few months when I came home to visit, I'd go back to my usual stylist for a good haircut and start all over again.  Since I was in my mid-20s when I started wearing my hair this way and it was seriously the first time in my life I felt like my hair looked good and it takes me only 5 minutes to "fix" every morning, I am not interested in changing it.  Now that we've decided to retire at the end of 2015 and move to the beach, I'm faced with trying to find a stylist there who can do a decent job or growing it out, knowing it will be awful but at least I'll be saving money.  Sigh.  Yes, I've thought of shaving my head (my daughter did that for St. Baldrick's last year and looked darling!) but I don't think I'd do wigs, I'd just be bald.  Anyone remember Sinead O'Connor?  LOL.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #6155 on: January 02, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
On this off topic-
Do you have any schools for cosmetology that have students do your hair / whatever for cheaper?  It takes longer, but the teachers okay everything, and you get the same service for a deep discount. I started going to the Aveda Institute.

I would go to the Aveda Institute in a second! Right now, time is at a real premium (work crazy, etc. etc.) and the closest one is about an hour away.  I was told I would need to set aside a minimum of 4-5 hours to do my color/cut (they say to allow 2 hours for cut alone).  That basically requires a whole day which just can't happen schedule-wise.  But I am totally interested in doing it at some point.

What a bummer. Mine took 3 hours start to finish for full color and cut, but my hair started shorter than shoulder length and ended at half that - I bet you have much thicker hair to need the extra time.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6156 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
I took pictures from all different sides immediately after getting my haircut by my usual stylist and then, just 3 weeks later, took them with me to show the new stylist what I wanted.  Plus, you'd think since it was just 3 weeks later, they could get the idea to do the same thing, just a bit shorter.  NEVER worked.  EVER.  I suffered the bad haircuts and then, ever few months when I came home to visit, I'd go back to my usual stylist for a good haircut and start all over again.  Since I was in my mid-20s when I started wearing my hair this way and it was seriously the first time in my life I felt like my hair looked good and it takes me only 5 minutes to "fix" every morning, I am not interested in changing it.  Now that we've decided to retire at the end of 2015 and move to the beach, I'm faced with trying to find a stylist there who can do a decent job or growing it out, knowing it will be awful but at least I'll be saving money.  Sigh.  Yes, I've thought of shaving my head (my daughter did that for St. Baldrick's last year and looked darling!) but I don't think I'd do wigs, I'd just be bald.  Anyone remember Sinead O'Connor?  LOL.

Whatever beach you end up at, don't give up, just keep asking around for someone who specializes in hair your type. If you are just thinking of shaving it bald anyways, then you have nothing to lose, their are great stylists in every single town, you just need to find them. I can relate to your problem, I'm sorry, I had a lot of people mad at me when I quit to stay home with my boys.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #6157 on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
Hoping to get this back on track a little:

Some of this is not CW's fault per se. Some problems need to be fixed but all of these problems might not have existed at all or would have been much cheaper if CW had a smaller house for the spouse, 2 kids and dog. The rest of it seemed pretty silly though:

Anyway, the roof needed expensive repairs because of shoddy work done before the home (HUGE with HUGE mortgage to go with it, but it's ok 'cuz it's in a good neighborhood) was bought. Contractor noticed the gutters were full of water and not hung right, so they were taken down. CW decided that while they were down, this would be the best time to repaint the trim since it was more "peach" than "tan" like she wanted. Once the trim was done the rest of the house color was "off" so the whole house got painted, which of course means the trip had to be redone again in the same color it had just been redone in.

It was thousands of $$$. They took a 401k loan to do it. 401k to paint a house on top of a roof re-do.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6158 on: January 03, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
It was thousands of $$$. They took a 401k loan to do it. 401k to paint a house on top of a roof re-do.

Wow.  I plan to paint my own house and take the thousands of dollars of contractor cost down to just the cost of paint and rollers.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #6159 on: January 04, 2015, 02:41:08 AM »

Have you considered just shaving your head and wearing a wig? I think about it from time to time.

Wigs are too hot.  Think of it as a skintight insulated hat.  If you are in warmer climates this may be problematic.  I can't remember what other remarks a lady I know who has made either.  I just remember that they are hot in summer.

My understanding is that good wigs aren't cheap either.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6160 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Not at work, but ex-coworker at a party.  I used to work with him daily but hadn't seen him in several years so we were catching up.

Backstory:
Ex-coworker is full retirement age (according to IRS) and so is his wife.  The company where we both used to work periodically has lay-offs, and this year it was his turn.  He said he didn't see it coming at all, and I felt bad for him about that. We had fairly high salaries, the company has both a pension and a 401k, and he had worked there a long time (~20 years?) which figures into the pension, so I figured he's all set.   Turns out he wants to keep working.  Okay, I get that some people enjoy working forever, and he has two children in middle school so I'm sure that is playing a role in his decision.  But, here's where it was weird.

ex-CW:  I'm drawing pensions from both our old company and my job from before that because if I don't draw I just lose that money.
me:  Oh, that's great to have those!  So you are retired?
ex-CW wife:  NO, he's unemployed!  Those pensions barely cover our mortgage.

Ouch! 

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #6161 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
A bit of a long story:

Co-worker has been working part-time at a gig she found on craigslist. It involved gathering data about businesses online. The company will then use this data to create some kind of website ( this is pretty vague to keep privacy and also becaus ethat is about as much as I could figure out). there are about 10-20 other "team members" doing this around the world and they are getting paid only in stock (not a public company). now that data acquisition is over he told me that the initial investor has backed out but that a new investor has taken his place. They are now being offered a chance to buy more stock in the company.

CW: I think we should buy some more, its only $1/share.
Me: That doesn't mean anything. how much is the company worth? what is their business plan? how many shares are there?
CW: i dont know, but $1 is pretty cheap. I think it will go to at least $10/share when they go live.
Me: why do you think it will do that?
CW: I just have a feeling. You should think about buying some as well, I know you are into investing.
Me: (giving up) yeah I guess i will have to think about it.

I keep trying to talk her out of it but I fear she doesn't even know enough to be worried. I have a tough time even finding where to start since there are so many problems with this situation.

There's a red "SCAM!" flashing light and warning klaxon going off in my head. (You may have heard it, or one of your own.) This sounds very fishy to me. I hope your CW is prepared for the possibility that they've been working for free if the value of this "stock" turns out to be zero.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6162 on: January 05, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
Unfortunately, I have more stories. lol

1. Co-worker was complaining that diesel fuel costs more than the other fuels right now. Instead of sympathizing with him, I had to clarify his issue, "you're upset that you have to pay more to fuel your brand new audi (which cost at least $50k because to had to make sure it had certain features like panoramic sunroof)?" I followed with an apology that I can't relate to his issue. 

2. Coworker recently left our firm. Old commute = ~11 miles (w/ hardly any traffic). New commute = ~40 miles (in the most frustrating traffic..stop. go 2 miles an hour. stop. rinse repeat and add a few fender benders b/c the person behind you got impatient and hit the gas by accident [had this happen 2 times in one year to me in old commute]).
Coworker claims he wanted to work for new employer because of state retirement pension. I pointed out that he could easily save for his retirement on his own and the real reason is because he basically needs the state to take his money and save it for him. He agreed. I could understand if the pay he will receive is more than what he receives now, but it's only a couple grand more and that extra money will easily get eaten up by the awful commute he is choosing.

You tough!  Good on you.  Sounds as though they were receptive.  Normally, that doesn't go so well.  :)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6163 on: January 05, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
Not at work, but ex-coworker at a party.  I used to work with him daily but hadn't seen him in several years so we were catching up.

Backstory:
Ex-coworker is full retirement age (according to IRS) and so is his wife.  The company where we both used to work periodically has lay-offs, and this year it was his turn.  He said he didn't see it coming at all, and I felt bad for him about that. We had fairly high salaries, the company has both a pension and a 401k, and he had worked there a long time (~20 years?) which figures into the pension, so I figured he's all set.   Turns out he wants to keep working.  Okay, I get that some people enjoy working forever, and he has two children in middle school so I'm sure that is playing a role in his decision.  But, here's where it was weird.

ex-CW:  I'm drawing pensions from both our old company and my job from before that because if I don't draw I just lose that money.

Ouch!
I believe the bold part is what everyone here is trying to avoid.  Really kind of sad - 65+ and having to work.  On the plus side, they can draw social security without income limits - that should help some if he or she finds work.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6164 on: January 05, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
I'm planning a LAN party (computer games) for people at work this weekend. One of the games we'll play is owned by most of us, but is $10 - coworker says he'll have to get it when he gets paid.

It made me instantly realize how nice it is to not be running paycheck to paycheck...

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #6165 on: January 05, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
K, this wasn't at work but I don't think there's an "overheard at church" topic. This guy gets high fives and face punches.

Find out a guy (22-24 yrs old I think, single, no kids) at church is working on an investment property. He has some kind of trade skill in high demand, so he makes lots of money.

Me: I'm impressed you're putting money towards an investment property instead of a bunch of Man Toys like most people [here] do. (High Five!)
Guy: *guilty expression* Well....that's what I usually spent my money on. I have a truck, two cars, two motorcycles, and a four-wheeler. (Facepunch!) But they're all paid off! (High five, I guess?)
Me: All that, just for you?!
Guy: Well, I sold two other cars and my boat to pay the down payment on the investment property. (Facepunch for the WAY TOO MANY vehicles, but high five for selling some for an investment property)
Me: You had a truck, FOUR cars, two motorcycles, a fourwheeler AND a boat?!

Services started after that though, so we didn't talk more. Guy kinda had an ashamed look on his face, so I think he's already started to "see the light" and looks to be on his way to more solid financial choices in the future (hopefully!)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6166 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

Backstory:

Ouch!
I believe the bold part is what everyone here is trying to avoid.  Really kind of sad - 65+ and having to work.  On the plus side, they can draw social security without income limits - that should help some if he or she finds work.
He probably didn't see it coming because of the kids in middle school.  He may do fine, but I would worry.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #6167 on: January 05, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
Just came back to work after a 3 week vacation and remembered how much I want to face punch my coworkers....I've counted 5 today

Horribly anti mustachian coworker of my past stories..

Me: Hey how did your ChristmaHaunuakka/New Years go?
CW1: Ugh, it was HORRIBLE
Me: Oh no! What happened?  I'm thinking something went wrong with her very ill parents.
CW1:  My husband got me a LABEL MAKER for Christmas...A LABEL MAKER!!!! And I spent A THOUSAND DOLLARS on his gifts!!! I was so pissed I went out to West Elm and bought all new bedding (to the tune of like 800 bucks).  And to top it all off, we thought his parents were going to get us a new washer/dryer for Christmas because that's what we asked for (mind you they need a custom sized stackable to fit in their space, prices run from 4-8k on the ones she was looking at) and they got us a damn STOCK POT.  I DON'T COOK, wtf am I going to do with a HUGE pot?! 
Me: *thinking that maybe her Korean Mother in Law was hinting at something* Well, did you tell your husband what you really wanted
CW1:  NO!! he should know that by now...didn't your husband get you something AMAZING for Christmas?
Me: No, we didn't do anniversary/bday/Christmas gifts this year (we actually don't really ever do it, or if we do it's like 50 bucks or under)
CW1:  WHAT!?!?! how can you NOT want gifts
Me: We decided that instead of gifts we wanted an additional week of vacation, we don't want more "stuff", we have enough "stuff"
CW2:  Can you train my wife to think like that....she cost me 2 grand for the earrings she wanted...she only wears earrings like twice a year.
CW3:  HA! you got off cheap, mine wanted a new Mercedes, the damn bow alone cost me 300 bucks.
Me:  You bought a CAR....without your wife?
CW3:  Yea!  She TOTALLY loved it
Me:  How's she going to love those car payments?
CW3:  PSH, she doesn't care, it's not coming out of "her" money since she doesn't really work.

How do these people EXIST!?!?!, and how do they marry each other?  On an aside, I asked everyone if we had any announcements about our 401k, they were thinking of switching from our ridiculously priced funds to Vanguard when I left on vacation, I got 2 responses from coworkers that they don't even pay attention to our benefits emails so they weren't sure...

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6168 on: January 05, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
Just came back to work after a 3 week vacation and remembered how much I want to face punch my coworkers....I've counted 5 today

Me: Oh no! What happened?  I'm thinking something went wrong with her very ill parents.
CW1:  My husband got me a LABEL MAKER for Christmas...A LABEL MAKER!!!! And I spent A THOUSAND DOLLARS on his gifts!!! I was so pissed I went out to West Elm and bought all new bedding (to the tune of like 800 bucks).  And to top it all off, we thought his parents were going to get us a new washer/dryer for Christmas because that's what we asked for (mind you they need a custom sized stackable to fit in their space, prices run from 4-8k on the ones she was looking at) and they got us a damn STOCK POT.  I DON'T COOK, wtf am I going to do with a HUGE pot?! 
Me: *thinking that maybe her Korean Mother in Law was hinting at something* Well, did you tell your husband what you really wanted
CW1:  NO!! he should know that by now...didn't your husband get you something AMAZING for Christmas?
Me: No, we didn't do anniversary/bday/Christmas gifts this year (we actually don't really ever do it, or if we do it's like 50 bucks or under)
Me: We decided that instead of gifts we wanted an additional week of vacation, we don't want more "stuff", we have enough "stuff"
CW2:  Can you train my wife to think like that....she cost me 2 grand for the earrings she wanted...she only wears earrings like twice a year.
CW3:  HA! you got off cheap, mine wanted a new Mercedes, the damn bow alone cost me 300 bucks.
CW3:  PSH, she doesn't care, it's not coming out of "her" money since she doesn't really work.

How do these people EXIST!?!?!, and how do they marry each other?  On an aside, I asked everyone if we had any announcements about our 401k, they were thinking of switching from our ridiculously priced funds to Vanguard when I left on vacation, I got 2 responses from coworkers that they don't even pay attention to our benefits emails so they weren't sure...

Well it's good they marry each other, because if a Mustachian married one their life would just be full of disappointment, or they would see the light, either way, the marriage might end before it could be resolved. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6169 on: January 05, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »

This blows my mind! Both the lack of appreciation for smaller gifts, the expectations of larger gifts, the expectations of mind-reading, and the purchasing of insanely large gifts. Stunning.

I wish I had stories to share, but my coworkers don't seem out of control. No one has mentioned any gifts they gave or received, just how they spent their time over the holidays.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6170 on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »

This blows my mind! Both the lack of appreciation for smaller gifts, the expectations of larger gifts, the expectations of mind-reading, and the purchasing of insanely large gifts. Stunning.

I wish I had stories to share, but my coworkers don't seem out of control. No one has mentioned any gifts they gave or received, just how they spent their time over the holidays.

DW and I filled the other's stocking. I got her some nuts and a $1 back scratcher. She got me some socks and underwear.

We were both thrilled. Well, she didn't like the back scratcher, but she loves to put nuts in her mouth!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6171 on: January 05, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
DW and I filled the other's stocking. I got her some nuts and a $1 back scratcher. She got me some socks and underwear.

We were both thrilled. Well, she didn't like the back scratcher, but she loves to put nuts in her mouth!

I exchange homemade gifts with my girlfriend (She crocheted me a scarf and I made her a chainmail necklace).
Boyfriend (long distance) and I decided not to exchange gifts, but we spent money on a week long road trip together to Baja together instead. Much prefer time spent together over more stuff.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6172 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »

I exchange homemade gifts with my girlfriend (She crocheted me a scarf and I made her a chainmail necklace).
Boyfriend (long distance) and I decided not to exchange gifts, but we spent money on a week long road trip together to Baja together instead. Much prefer time spent together over more stuff.

Wait what? You exchanged gifts with your girlfriend and went on a trip with your boyfriend?

We have very different lives, lol.

clones32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6173 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »
My boss told me today that her children could not have jobs because they were 'too busy' with sports and wouldn't have time...and then continued to complain about how much of her money they spend.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6174 on: January 05, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »

Wait what? You exchanged gifts with your girlfriend and went on a trip with your boyfriend?

We have very different lives, lol.

:p

I suppose we do.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #6175 on: January 05, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
One of our CW had a Pandora for Christmas. All the girls were staring at it and make kind compliments.

Later this afternoon...

CW: You may buy a Pandora to your wife someday, like heu..for birthday! It's nice and she would like it.
me: ..........(facepalm in my head as usual)

wtf, I don't know where they pick idea like this one, I'm clueless

for the record, my wife buy as much stuff as she feel she need and I swear it is probably 5x the Mustachian level.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6176 on: January 05, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
One of our CW had a Pandora for Christmas. All the girls were staring at it and make kind compliments.

Later this afternoon...

CW: You may buy a Pandora to your wife someday, like heu..for birthday! It's nice and she would like it.

for the record, my wife buy as much stuff as she feel she need and I swear it is probably 5x the Mustachian level.

I had to google that.. I thought it was just an internet radio station.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6177 on: January 05, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »

Later this afternoon...

Lucky you are!

This shit as became so overheard at work and all around me that I just forgot it could be missed here. Looks like a Pandora for those girls are a must like a bike for a Mustachian. Most of them would probably have to Google what a bike is...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6178 on: January 05, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »

Later this afternoon...

Lucky you are!

This shit as became so overheard at work and all around me that I just forgot it could be missed here. Looks like a Pandora for those girls are a must like a bike for a Mustachian. Most of them would probably have to Google what a bike is...

I also had to google Pandora.  For other mustachians,

I would also hestitate to recommend buying a bracelet like this for your wife.  I think the bracelet is horribly tacky.  Also, I have no idea how much it costs.  I just did an image search.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #6179 on: January 05, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
I would also hestitate to recommend buying a bracelet like this for your wife.  I think the bracelet is horribly tacky.  Also, I have no idea how much it costs.  I just did an image search

Expensive. And in the UK in busy shopping centres you have to queue up to get in at Xmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day. To be fair, you need something to do while your other half queues at the Apple store.

Mustachian rather than anti-Mustachian:
Boss (well paid director): We got my wife a new car over the holidays, the old one wouldn't get through the next MOT without spending more than it's worth. I sold it separately - I had to look back through the MOT certs to see how many times it had gone round the clock.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:29:11 PM by gallygirl »

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #6180 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
I would also hestitate to recommend buying a bracelet like this for your wife.  I think the bracelet is horribly tacky.  Also, I have no idea how much it costs.  I just did an image search

Expensive. And in the UK in busy shopping centres you have to queue up to get in at Xmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day. To be fair, you need something to do while your other half queues at the Apple store.

Yeah... my wife would give me NO end of grief if I ever got her something like that- both because it's gaudy as all hell (even for her, someone who likes kind of garish jewelry) and because she doesn't see the point in getting jewelry that costs more than $20 or so.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6181 on: January 05, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

Later this afternoon...

Lucky you are!

I would also hestitate to recommend buying a bracelet like this for your wife.  I think the bracelet is horribly tacky.  Also, I have no idea how much it costs.  I just did an image search.

You guys should definetly post on the "Mustachian problems (just for fun)" thread!

Maybe it's a local glitch but its overwhelming now. There is a little piece of crap you can hang on this bracelet for about any reason. The ads. are based on this kind of ideas (our trip to WDW, when you fianced me, for my new job etc)

I got a list of special events for Mustachians, useless since we do not buy crap (when I repaid mortage, when I hit 1M$ in investable assets, when I quit, when I get the Vince Diesel shape level etc)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6182 on: January 05, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
You guys should definetly post on the "Mustachian problems (just for fun)" thread!

Huh.  I didn't realize not knowing the names of various niche jewelry was a problem.  I have all kinds of problems then; I routinely struggle with the names of various brands and such!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6183 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

And I thought my faux punk looking pride bracelet was tacky.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6184 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »

Huh.  I didn't realize not knowing the names of various niche jewelry was a problem.  I have all kinds of problems then; I routinely struggle with the names of various brands and such!  :)

I read about luxury brands and mispronounce them when I talk because I don't know foreign accents and stuff.  Ugh so embarrassing.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6185 on: January 05, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »

Thats the point of this particular thread. A Mustachian's problem is NOT a problem.

ex. I have to put money in taxables accounts

jordanread

« Reply #6186 on: January 05, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
[...] when you fianced me[...]

I know it was probably a "lost in translation" thing, but I am totally using this in conversation.

Person: OMG, I just got engaged!!
Me: He fianced the shit out of you! Congrats.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6187 on: January 05, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
Thanks for the story Gator.

But it's not a sweet Camero, it's a Bitchin' Camero!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

BITCHIN' CAMARO BITCHIN' CAMARO!  I remember that song fondly from my senior year of high school.

But I think I have you all beat this year.  My father-in-law died the day after Christmas (he'd been sick for a while, not much of a surprise).  I came back to work today, and here comes a coworker.

COWORKER:  I'm sorry about your father-in-law.
ME:  Thanks.
COWORKER:  I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things.
ME:  (blinks)  Um, he was basically in a coma for the last two weeks of his life.
COWORKER:  (have to bold this because I'm still shaking my head)  Well, then, he should have done his shopping earlier or had someone do it for him.

She said it with a completely straight face, too.  Yeah, like he was going "Wow, I think I'm gonna buy it pretty soon, better get my Christmas shopping done!"

And people ask me why I want to retire ...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6188 on: January 05, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »

I know it was probably a "lost in translation" thing, but I am totally using this in conversation.

sometime I take the time to find the right translation, sometime I don't and sometime the result is funny ;)

jordanread

« Reply #6189 on: January 05, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »

sometime I take the time to find the right translation, sometime I don't and sometime the result is funny ;)

No, sometimes the result is fucking incredible. :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6190 on: January 05, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »

Later this afternoon...

Lucky you are!

Maybe it's a local glitch but its overwhelming now. There is a little piece of crap you can hang on this bracelet for about any reason. The ads. are based on this kind of ideas (our trip to WDW, when you fianced me, for my new job etc)
How have I missed this entire "Pandora" thing.  I really thought it was a free way to stream music to your phone and computer.  The only jewelry ads that I remember are the brown diamond ads that Hulu loves to show me. 

So...I looked into the Pandora bracelet costs.  It appears to cost $65 for a plain band (no sparkly balls included).  The individual balls cost $20-$770/ball.  There are spacers ($20-$225/spacer) and clips ($25-$525). 

Wow.   As a kid, I had a charm bracelet...but I also thought glow-in-the-dark clothing was cool.  This Pandora bracelet thing has blown my mind. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6191 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »

OMG what the hell is THAT??
You actually have to pay money to wear this? I would expect it the other way round. If you take everything away except the monkey(?) then you could say its a try on cute, but the whole thing is just ugly.
Even Hello Kitty didnt manage to get something more eye watering - thats there worst one:
http://www.sanrio.com/jewelry-bracelets/hello-kitty-x-chan-luu-bracelet-rose-mix

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6192 on: January 05, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »

Reminds me of this:

On the way home from work I saw THREE cars with bows on them.  My first instinct was to assume they're Christmas gifts, but I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt this time and assume they're just being festive.

That makes me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5kwJ7eJSo

jordanread

« Reply #6193 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »

Reminds me of this:

On the way home from work I saw THREE cars with bows on them.  My first instinct was to assume they're Christmas gifts, but I'm going to give people the benefit of the doubt this time and assume they're just being festive.

That makes me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5kwJ7eJSo

I must have missed that one, but holy crap that was funny.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #6194 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
But I think I have you all beat this year.  My father-in-law died the day after Christmas (he'd been sick for a while, not much of a surprise).  I came back to work today, and here comes a coworker.

COWORKER:  I hope you still had a nice Christmas and that he got you nice things.
ME:  (blinks)  Um, he was basically in a coma for the last two weeks of his life.
COWORKER:  (have to bold this because I'm still shaking my head)  Well, then, he should have done his shopping earlier or had someone do it for him.

She said it with a completely straight face, too.  Yeah, like he was going "Wow, I think I'm gonna buy it pretty soon, better get my Christmas shopping done!"

I'm sorry for your loss.  And for your incredibly rude and selfish coworkers.  My jaw dropped when I read that.

Additional 10 points of materialistic ridiculousness if she has a conversation concerning her own post holiday cc debt.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #6195 on: January 05, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
I'm a millenial woman, and I had NO idea wtf Pandora was.  That shit is UGLY, and expensive.  I've told my husband never to buy jewelry for me.  I buy mine at yardsales for 10 bucks and under.  You'd be amazed at the quality of stuff you can find for cheap.  Hell I sold a bunch of yardsale gold a few years back to finance a mustachian vacation...got 1500 for it and I spent all of around 20.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6196 on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »

[/quote]

Oh, God, Pandora bracelets are all the rage at my job.  Although I must hang my head because we got our team lead two charms for hers for Christmas.  I wouldn't wear one of those clunky junky things on a bet. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6197 on: January 06, 2015, 03:10:37 AM »
I think Pandora bracelets might be one of those non-American things, because I've never met anyone in Australia who doesn't know what they are. I never understood why people listed 'Pandora' as a monthly expense!

My brother got my Mum one a few years ago, and now on every gift giving occasion, she gets a new charm. I guess it makes gift buying easy, and she likes wearing it (most aren't as shit looking as in that pic).

Also, so many of my teenage students (and a few teachers) have Pandora rings (or fake ones, probs) and they're ugly as fuck.

Kepler

• Stubble
« Reply #6198 on: January 06, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »

Later this afternoon...

Lucky you are!

How have I missed this entire "Pandora" thing.  I really thought it was a free way to stream music to your phone and computer.  The only jewelry ads that I remember are the brown diamond ads that Hulu loves to show me. 

So...I looked into the Pandora bracelet costs.  It appears to cost $65 for a plain band (no sparkly balls included).  The individual balls cost $20-$770/ball.  There are spacers ($20-$225/spacer) and clips ($25-$525). 

Wow.   As a kid, I had a charm bracelet...but I also thought glow-in-the-dark clothing was cool.  This Pandora bracelet thing has blown my mind. 

I actually know someone who hates these things, and would never wear them, but has told her entire family that she loves them and that all she wants for Christmas, birthday, etc., are specific new baubles.  She does this because she was unsuccessful getting her family to stop buying her ridiculous things she didn't want and has no room for, which they also couldn't really afford to buy.  So she's cultivated this as a fake "hobby", and will create lists of the least expensive baubles that she claims she wants for her "collection".  They're small - she can toss them in a drawer at home - so it's less clutter.  Her family spends less but is convinced it's getting her something she wants.  She regards it as a least-worst solution to excessive holiday spending...

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6199 on: January 06, 2015, 07:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the story Gator.

But it's not a sweet Camero, it's a Bitchin' Camero!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

BITCHIN' CAMARO BITCHIN' CAMARO!  I remember that song fondly from my senior year of high school.

Sorry about your loss, and the O B L I V I O U S  coworker.  It is sad to think that some are so consumed by materialism that they cannot even recognize something as real as what you and your family were dealing with.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!