Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252682 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5850 on: December 12, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Here's a fun text conversation with a co-worker this morning, we have 2 companies we get paid commissions from, one is bi weekly and the other is bi monthly.  Can get a little confusing on the dollar amounts, but as for the dates, very easy.

CW: Do we get paid from SP today? Or just Q?
Me: Just Q, SP is Monday
CW:Isn't there payday the 15th?
Me: Correct
CW: My bank account balance is negative (she just got paid commissions today from Q and is still negative)
Me: We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68, they sent the statement over yesterday
CW: I wonder when it is direct deposited (REALLY?!?!?!)
Me: (being slightly a smart ass at this point) we get paid from them bi monthly
CW: Hmmm I will email Jackie (human resources)

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  She got paid TODAY from one company, is still negative.  HAS NO CLUE when the other company is paying her (even though I TOLD her in the text).  Also, this co worker has worked for the company WAY longer than me, and she can't even figure out when payday is, it's been the same since she started over a year ago!!!  OMG... I mean, I know it can be hard to remember the 1st and the 15th (sarcasm intended), especially if the 15th falls on a non business day, in which case we get paid the business day that comes before, but the 15th is a business day this month!!! AND she has a negative account balance, after probably getting a paycheck of $2500 today!!!

I'm also confused.

What does "We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68" mean?

Also how do did she get paid today if you get paid on the 1st and 15th?  Today is the 12th, and the 15th is a monday.

I bolded the date thing for you... I am not sure what the deal on 68 is... I assume a job?

Yes, that's correct.  We get paid 4X per month - every other Friday from one company, and bi monthly from the other company.  So we got paid today and we'll get paid again Monday.

Sorry, in my attempt at being discreet I used the job number (68) instead of using names.  So 68 is a job we'll be getting paid for on Monday. :)

If that's confusing (which it is) then my main point is this:

Despite the fact that we got paid today, she still has a negative account balance.  And despite the fact that all of our paydays are the same and have been for years, she seems to have no clue when her next check will be direct deposited into her account, so that she has more money.  Sigh...

Still confused...

Bi-weekly means every other week.
Bi-monthly means every other month.

I assumed the bi-monthly payments lined up on either the 1st or the 15th (coincidentally along with the bi-weekly payments), and fell on every other month.

I also assumed that by the 1st and the 15th you meant it was twice monthly (and not actually bi-weekly as stated - because the 1st and the 15th is not bi-weekly).

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5851 on: December 12, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Here's a fun text conversation with a co-worker this morning, we have 2 companies we get paid commissions from, one is bi weekly and the other is bi monthly.  Can get a little confusing on the dollar amounts, but as for the dates, very easy.

CW: My bank account balance is negative (she just got paid commissions today from Q and is still negative)
Me: We'll be getting paid for the deal on 68, they sent the statement over yesterday

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  She got paid TODAY from one company, is still negative.  HAS NO CLUE when the other company is paying her (even though I TOLD her in the text).  Also, this co worker has worked for the company WAY longer than me, and she can't even figure out when payday is, it's been the same since she started over a year ago!!!  OMG... I mean, I know it can be hard to remember the 1st and the 15th (sarcasm intended), especially if the 15th falls on a non business day, in which case we get paid the business day that comes before, but the 15th is a business day this month!!! AND she has a negative account balance, after probably getting a paycheck of $2500 today!!!

I'm also confused.

Also how do did she get paid today if you get paid on the 1st and 15th?  Today is the 12th, and the 15th is a monday.

I bolded the date thing for you... I am not sure what the deal on 68 is... I assume a job?

Yes, that's correct.  We get paid 4X per month - every other Friday from one company, and bi monthly from the other company.  So we got paid today and we'll get paid again Monday.

Sorry, in my attempt at being discreet I used the job number (68) instead of using names.  So 68 is a job we'll be getting paid for on Monday. :)

Despite the fact that we got paid today, she still has a negative account balance.  And despite the fact that all of our paydays are the same and have been for years, she seems to have no clue when her next check will be direct deposited into her account, so that she has more money.  Sigh...

Still confused...

I assumed the bi-monthly payments lined up on either the 1st or the 15th (coincidentally along with the bi-weekly payments), and fell on every other month.

I also assumed that by the 1st and the 15th you meant it was twice monthly (and not actually bi-weekly as stated - because the 1st and the 15th is not bi-weekly).

I think what you are missing is that they get paid from two different companies... one pay semi- monthly(not bi monthly) and one is bi-weekly...  That is what I get from the explanation, but I now see what your confusion is

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5852 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »

I'm also confused.

Still confused...

Bi monthly means twice per month OR every other month.  According to the merriam webster dictionary it can mean either one.  In this case, it means twice per month, the 1st and the 15th.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5853 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
Two CWs, both want puppies. I'm all for rescue. We're in Chicago, Illinois.

CW1: I've been thinking of getting a puppy for a while now. I found a breeder in Arizona, the puppies are {insert very expensive breed, I have no memory} are $1250 each. But they have this adorable brother and sister pair, and if I get two then I get a discount on the 2nd.
Me: They're in Arizona, right? How do they get here safely?
CW1: Oh they'll send them on a plane. Both and travel costs are only $5k.
Me: Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to the shelters and find a puppy you like?
CW1: But shelter dogs have so many problems, I really want a pure bred.
CW2: I'm also getting a puppy. I found a breeder in Iowa, they have {insert very expensive breed}, and there's one that's so cute. Only $1000, and that includes transportation.
Me: [unable to process the waste and shame, there's a high probability that these are puppy mills]. ....

Another one, visiting from Texas office (when there's staff with nothing at all to do in the Chicago office), leaving today after a week here:
CW1: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm.
Me: Can you change it?
CW1: I don't know. It's ok.
CW2: How are you getting to the airport?
CW1: I don't want to take the Blue Line [inexpensive transit which goes directly to the airport], I'm going to take a cab.
CW2: I understand, a cab is safer.
Me: ......

Oh dear lord, I was under the impression that my coworker's were semi-decent with money.

I'd take a cab too if I was traveling on business.  Flying is enough of an ordeal I think it's fair for my employer to minimize inconvenience

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5854 on: December 12, 2014, 01:29:06 PM »
Bi monthly means twice per month OR every other month.  According to the merriam webster dictionary it can mean either one.  In this case, it means twice per month, the 1st and the 15th.

Well there's the confusion.  That seems really stupid and ambiguous to have two different definitions for the same word, and no way to tell which way you mean by context.   I was always under the impression bi-time period meant every two time periods, and semi-time period meant twice within a single time period.  So being paid on the 1st and 15th would be semi-monthly.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5855 on: December 12, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
That seems really stupid and ambiguous to have two different definitions for the same word, and no way to tell which way you mean by context. 

English language... isn't it great sometimes :)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5856 on: December 12, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
Best thing about super expensive pups is that they poop silver and gold nuggets. So you can make your money back withing a few days ;)

The problem is that you have to follow them around and scoop up that silver and gold before they eat it right back up.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5857 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »

Well there's the confusion.  That seems really stupid and ambiguous to have two different definitions for the same word, and no way to tell which way you mean by context.   I was always under the impression bi-time period meant every two time periods, and semi-time period meant twice within a single time period.  So being paid on the 1st and 15th would be semi-monthly.

I honestly had no idea either... I was always under the impression that bi monthly meant twice per month.  That's what we always say here (at least in my company where I'm at) and how I see it.  I didn't even realize it could mean every other month until it was mentioned and then I looked it up.  Good old English language!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5858 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
If we're going denigrate a whole group of people on no evidence at all, I have a few 'jokes' about Frenchmen . . .

...says the Canadian.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5859 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »

I honestly had no idea either... I was always under the impression that bi monthly meant twice per month.  That's what we always say here (at least in my company where I'm at) and how I see it.  I didn't even realize it could mean every other month until it was mentioned and then I looked it up.  Good old English language!

It didn't bother you that bi-weekly meant every other week and bi-monthly meant twice a month?  That seems very inconsistent to me.  I think if you would have framed it any other way I would I have been able to infer what you meant, but the inconsistency confused me.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5860 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

I always think on it the other way around.  Bi=two, like bi-cycle.  So bi-weekly would mean twice a week.  Bi-monthly-twice a month, etc.

Semi on the other hand means half or partial as in semi-complete or semi-sweet and is really vague when talking about time. Is Semi-weekly half in a week, once every two weeks or is it half a week, twice in a week?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5861 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »

I always think on it the other way around.  Bi=two, like bi-cycle.  So bi-weekly would mean twice a week.  Bi-monthly-twice a month, etc.

Semi on the other hand means half or partial as in semi-complete or semi-sweet and is really vague when talking about time. Is Semi-weekly half in a week, once every two weeks or is it half a week, twice in a week?

I always thought of it as bi=two, like bicycle, so bi-weekly would mean every two weeks.  And semi-weekly would mean twice a week, just like semi-annual means twice a year.

But bi-weekly meaning twice a week AND every two weeks?  That's total anarchy.   *flips desk and walks away*

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5862 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »

It didn't bother you that bi-weekly meant every other week and bi-monthly meant twice a month?  That seems very inconsistent to me.  I think if you would have framed it any other way I would I have been able to infer what you meant, but the inconsistency confused me.

Why would it bother me when that's how we say it around here?  If you said "semi monthly" I would have had to look it up.  Just like I eventually looked up bi monthly because you were saying it meant something different than what I know.  I think you're the confusing one.  It's just what I'm used to and how it is, never really had to think about it before.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5863 on: December 12, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
If we're going denigrate a whole group of people on no evidence at all, I have a few 'jokes' about Frenchmen . . .

...says the Canadian.

;)

The fact is even in Canada, people from Québec (90% French) make a lot of jokes at the rest of the country and refer them as "Canadians". As an example "The reason why Joe Sakic as one of the best wrist shot of the NHL is because his wife is Canadian"

The "Canadians" (Canada citizens outside Québec) are making A LOT of jokes over us (Frenchmen from Québec) and our nickname is Frog! Nice for the little batracian…

That said, I did not attempt to denigrate a whole group of people. I mean, what about someone saying about cops earlier on this thread "you should NEVER EVER EVER speak to them without a lawyer. Really, it will never help you. They are always building a case against you even if they don't know it." Sorry, I don’t think it's true and I don’t think it's a joke neither. Sometime, joking can hurt some people but, this whole thread is about making fun of clueless coworkers!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5864 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »

...says the Canadian.

;)

Hey buddy, I'm sorry aboot that eh?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5865 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »

...says the Canadian.

;)

Something something maple syrup polar bears.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5866 on: December 12, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »

...says the Canadian.

;)

And the Frenchmen's joke?

;)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5867 on: December 12, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Another one, visiting from Texas office (when there's staff with nothing at all to do in the Chicago office), leaving today after a week here:
CW1: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm.
Me: Can you change it?
CW1: I don't know. It's ok.
CW2: How are you getting to the airport?
CW1: I don't want to take the Blue Line [inexpensive transit which goes directly to the airport], I'm going to take a cab.
CW2: I understand, a cab is safer.
Me: ......

Oh dear lord, I was under the impression that my coworker's were semi-decent with money.
Wouldn't this story be on the company dime anyway?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5868 on: December 12, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »

Why would it bother me when that's how we say it around here?  If you said "semi monthly" I would have had to look it up.  Just like I eventually looked up bi monthly because you were saying it meant something different than what I know.  I think you're the confusing one.  It's just what I'm used to and how it is, never really had to think about it before.

Because you are using the exact same prefix to mean opposite things.  And because you aren't talking to people within your company, you are talking to people across the world and using ambiguous terms.

EDIT:  After googling around and seeing so much confusion and inconsistency in the use of the word I am abandoning it all together.  It's not a normal part of my vocabulary, but I will be going out of my way to avoid using bi or semi to describe any time period and instead will be using more specific language so it cannot be mistaken. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:56:17 PM by frugalnacho »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5869 on: December 12, 2014, 10:26:15 PM »
Because you are using the exact same prefix to mean opposite things. 

What's worse than using the same prefix to mean opposite things?  Use an opposite prefix to mean the same thing. 

See flammable/inflammable, and remember English doesn't like rules.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5870 on: December 12, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »

What's worse than using the same prefix to mean opposite things?  Use an opposite prefix to mean the same thing. 

There are more words that break the 'I before E' rule than follow it, because screw logic.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5871 on: December 12, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
I'm flabbergasted there are multiple people here who didn't know that bi-monthly (or bi-weekly) can mean every other month or twice a month, and sometimes one has to clarify if context doesn't make it clear.  I thought that was common knowledge.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5872 on: December 12, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
There are more words that break the 'I before E' rule than follow it, because screw logic.

I before E except after C and in words like neighbor and weight.  Works pretty well. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5873 on: December 13, 2014, 01:27:31 AM »

I before E except after C and in words like neighbor and weight.  Works pretty well.

"I before E, except after C and when it sounds like 'a'" is how I remember it.

But the rule still fails for feisty, heist, weird, foreign and a great many others.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5874 on: December 13, 2014, 05:51:06 AM »
It is the joie de vivre of the province - a bunch of us were in St.-Andre-Avellin, which is tiny, and we had an amazing lunch for $15 each.  Right across from the Subway on the main street (Rue Principal).  The cafe had a tiny front yard, with a potted tomato plant and potted herbs, so some of their food was grown on site.

Just for future reference, if you are in Montreal again. Chinatown has some great restaurants, one being the Noodle Factory, where we had lunch for less than $20 for the 2 of us. They also have some wonderful bakeries that are cheap, we would often pick up snacks or lunch from one called Harmonie. And also the grocery shops in that area would have cheap fruit and veggies to snack on.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #5875 on: December 13, 2014, 06:04:06 AM »

But the rule still fails for feisty, heist, weird, foreign and a great many others.

Maybe just think of it in a heavy Scottish Billy Connelly style accent? There is kind of an "a" sound in there.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5876 on: December 13, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »
Going OT here, and a bit of a rant.

TL:DR - not all purebreds are overpriced and horrible - see why!

All the discussion about pure-breeds versus mixed breeds?  It all depends on the genetics!  Mutt from the shelter - cute puppy - how big is it going to get? What is its temperament? What is its previous health history?  Intentional cross (i.e. golden doodle) - what are the genetics of the parents?  If both parents are from breeds with the same known genetic issues (i.e. golden retriever, standard poodle) then the cross may also have those issues, depends on the parents.
Backyard breeder =/= hobby breeder.  Backyard breeder - in it to make money, no genetic testing of parents, often horrible socialization of puppies.  Or thought that because their bitch is so cute, they can breed her and make money.
Hobby breeder - pays attention to genetics, will have shown the parent, puppies are in the home, well socialized. 
Responsible breeder/kennel - has more than one dog but only one breed (may be two breeds if husband and wife each have own breed), shows, knows genetics, does the genetics testing, those $1000 - $1500 puppies are being sold at a net loss. They are in it because they love the breed, ad are happy/relieved if they break even
Puppy mill - lots of different breeds, no genetics testing, horrible living conditions, puppies will be expensive but low quality, health issues, no socialization.  Puppies usually sold on-line or at pet stores.  No guarantee that the pedigree that comes with the pet store dog is that dog's pedigree, since dogs and paperwork tend to be shipped separately.

How do you tell a good breeder? First, they will grill you about the suitability of your home for their precious puppy.  Their dogs will be good representatives of the breed - (depending on the breed this may mean CKC/AKC titles, working titles, whatever is appropriate). They have done the appropriate genetics/health testing for their breed.  The puppies are properly vaccinated.  They know the good and bad developmental periods for a puppy to move to a new home.  The puppies are used to being in a house and are socialized.  There are no hassles about registration, they will have registered the litter with the appropriate group (CKC, AKC, whoever) and will do the transfer to the new owner.  If they ask extra $ for this, they are not reputable.  Also, many breeders have strict policies about restricted breeding (i.e. you agree to not breed unless certain conditions are met, if they are not met you will spay/neuter the dog, if they are met they will mentor you and you have just become a hobby breeder). They will take the dog back if there are problems instead of it going to a shelter.

The more popular the breed is, the more careful you have to be about your source. Purebreds at shelters may be wonderful, but they may also be puppy mill dogs with all the attendant issues.  Breed rescues will do the care to bring these dogs to the best health and behaviors status they can, but some things can't be fixed.

Why all this?  Because humans have spent several thousand years breeding dogs for various uses, and problems have crept in because of the limited gene pool.  But then we know what we are getting.  Border collies want to herd. Shelties want to herd.  They will give you the eye - you can see they are trying to figure out how to herd you.  Terriers are scrappy -what sensible dog will go down a badger hole or take on a rat that is bigger than it is?  Working dogs want to work.  101 Dalmatians did Dalmatians such a disservice - they are carriage dogs, meant to run under a carriage for 10 hours a day - and then they are house pets and sit around and get fat because this is the wrong environment for them.

Cats on the other hand - a nice domestic sort-hair from the shelter (or some one's kittens) will be fine, usually.  Just make sure you have the vet checkup before you lose your heart.

Background - my adult life has been enriched by three cats from rescue, and three pure-bred dogs from responsible breeders.  No major health issues.  My parents' first 2 dogs were, we think, puppy mill dogs - one had obviously had parvo virus before we got her (adult teeth gave it away) but was otherwise wonderful, the other had epileptic fits which got worse and worse, we had her euthanised at 2, and it broke our hearts to do it.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5877 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
I'm flabbergasted there are multiple people here who didn't know that bi-monthly (or bi-weekly) can mean every other month or twice a month, and sometimes one has to clarify if context doesn't make it clear.  I thought that was common knowledge.

The terminology I've always known as 'proper' is bi-weekly for every other week, and semi-monthly for twice/month. This is the first I've heard of any valid use of bi-monthly. I hear people say/write it all the time, but I always thought it was incorrect. Different strokes I guess.

attica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5878 on: December 13, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »

I before E EXCEPT after C, AND when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong no matter WHAT you say!

Thanks for clearing that up comedian Brian Regan.

Halfar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5879 on: December 13, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »
Cop cars idle... all the time. On one hand, it annoys me, but on the other, I understand the need. Though I do laugh when I see one idling empty outside a donut shop.

I'll be glad when they're using newer engines that can start on a dime and give you power pretty much immediately. (How those work without drastically reducing the engine life is another question, but a different topic. I don't know enough so I'm pretty curious.)

But when normal people idle... bleh. A lot of towns/cities these days are putting in no-idle ordinances.

I don't really understand the need. For the most part, I haven't found cops to be all that timely, or useful by the time they actually do show up. That however, is neither here nor there.

My little brother is a commercial truck driver, and for a while was over the road. One of the things that I thought was really cool was the way the engines were setup. There is like a 'sleep' mode for sleeping in the cab. It keeps the engine off, but when the temp drops, it starts it up in some weird mode just to make sure the driver doesn't freeze. Just a really neat piece of technology that I didn't even know existed.

Also, don't the newer Priuses (Prius', Pri-i, Priusi?) or some other hybrid have that 'feature' where they turn off at stoplights?

YES! It's really eery. The first few times I drove my FIL's car I thought it died. You get used to it after a while though. It also uses a generator to help you slow down if you shift to the "B" mode. Helps recharge the battery and use less gas!

You might want to check your manual,  when I looked up why the B mode was for my Prius I read that it is an engine break,  that means you are actually wasting energy by using your engine as a break,  not a mode that charged your battery quicker.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5880 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »

Dr. Nick is the only one i've ever seen tripped  up by that.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5881 on: December 13, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
The terminology I've always known as 'proper' is bi-weekly for every other week, and semi-monthly for twice/month. This is the first I've heard of any valid use of bi-monthly. I hear people say/write it all the time, but I always thought it was incorrect. Different strokes I guess.
Me, too.  But I checked my favorite dictionary site, http://www.onelook.com/ and learned that bi-monthly can be either nowadays.  Things change, and I'm having to check things before answering.  Oh well.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5882 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
Dictionaries work on the principle that if enough people are wrong about a word, the word changes meaning, because the people are obviously too ignorant to change. :)

So, you're right about bi-weekly and semi-monthly.  Bi-monthly would be every two months. 

But, just like spending more than one makes is the norm, so is being clueless about what bi-monthly means.

Or the difference between their, there, and they're.   Or to, too and two.   Or if-then and greater than, instead of if-than.

If each forum member listed all the fundamental grammar or word-meaning errors they saw or heard at work, we would never have time to discuss anything else on this thread. :(

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5883 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »

I had no idea it had two meanings until I had almost this exact same conversation on another forum and realised that bi- for every 2nd / every two somethings isn't the only reason. It seems (from what I've seen) that using bi-monthly for twice a month is a peculiarly North Americanism.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5884 on: December 14, 2014, 12:34:53 AM »

I had no idea it had two meanings until I had almost this exact same conversation on another forum and realised that bi- for every 2nd / every two somethings isn't the only reason. It seems (from what I've seen) that using bi-monthly for twice a month is a peculiarly North Americanism.

That makes sense.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #5885 on: December 14, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
And here I thought "bi-weekly" meant that once a week you went both ways!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5886 on: December 14, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »
Reason = definition by the way, not sure how that one happened. Can't really blame autocorrect, can I?

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #5887 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »

Or the difference between their, there, and they're.   Or to, too and two.   Or if-then and greater than, instead of if-than.

If each forum member listed all the fundamental grammar or word-meaning errors they saw seenor heard at work, we would never have time to discuss anything else on this thread. :(

Fixed it for you. Ouch my ears hurt reading it.

Anyways is my new favorite, though people seem to write it more often than say it.

I ain't perfection, just has my peeves.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #5888 on: December 14, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
Is "they seen or heard at work" really right?

Seems like "they've seen or heard at work" is fine, and what swordguy originally wrote sounds better to me as well.

Or is this a joke and its too early in the morning for me to tell?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5889 on: December 14, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
I was writing the same reply as wepner and Cathy. Seen? No. Never.

Maybe "had seen". Or "heard and saw" to sound better than "saw and heard".

valk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5890 on: December 14, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
I am sitting in a military transition class and the instructor just said that a proper budget should have 70% of your monthly pill going to your expenses.

They also gave an example budget of a single SSgt (E-5) that had a monthly bill for food for 500$!!!!  The teacher said it was a good budget.

I had to walk out.  I almost face punched the teacher. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:42:01 PM by valk001 »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5891 on: December 15, 2014, 01:58:49 AM »
I am sitting in a military transition class and the instructor just said that a proper budget should have 70% of your monthly pill going to your expenses.

They also gave an example budget of a single SSgt (E-5) that had a monthly bill for food for 500$!!!!  The teacher said it was a good budget.

A savings rate of 30% isnt that bad, and you can always choose to not eat out to get it up to 40%. So yes, for the average person that is a good budget.
good != best ;)

sarah8001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5892 on: December 15, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »
Going OT here, and a bit of a rant.

TL:DR - not all purebreds are overpriced and horrible - see why!

This.
Puppies come about two ways: your dog got preggers on accident because you screwed up, and because you chose this female dog for desirable traits, chose a male dog for desirable traits, and carefully paired them up. A mixed breed shelter pup is just as likely to be inbred as a purebred because many times when a dog is accidently bred, she is bred by the dogs closest to her - her brothers or father. Pretty much all mixed breed puppies are accidents, and the vast majority are created by grossly irresponsible owners. NO thought is put into how the offspring will look, behave, or what health issues they will have. At least with a breeder you have a chance that the dog was bred for traits that you find desirable. Bad breeders exist, but some breeders are responsible, and care for the genetic integrity of the dog's offspring. No accidental breeders are responsible, and none of them care about the genetic integrity of the offspring. Also, a mixed breed puppy from the local shelter here will cost 500$, come with a long list of conditions, probably have kennel cough, and might still have some genetic health issue. Not that Mustachian, compared to a responsible breeder who can tell you about the health and temperment of the last three or four generations, make certain health guarentees, and guarentees a healthy pup on delivery.
Not going to even get into how sometimes inbreeding can actually create a healthier, better animal. You're concentrating genes, not creating mutants. Bad genes can get worse, good genes can get better.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5893 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
It's that time of year again where people are discussing all the TVs and Xboxes and computers they're going to buy once they get their tax returns.  I have nothing to contribute to the conversation since I actually claim all my exemptions.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5894 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »

I will report back on all the strange looks I get once I start using "fortnightly".  I'm North American, and that's not really a word you hear much in these parts, but I'm going to start using it presently. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5895 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

I will report back on all the strange looks I get once I start using "fortnightly".  I'm North American, and that's not really a word you hear much in these parts, but I'm going to start using it presently.

You don't hear it used much here, but I think everyone (most) knows what it means.  I'm gonna start using it too.  I'll report back in a fortnight.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5896 on: December 15, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »

You don't hear it used much here, but I think everyone (most) knows what it means.  I'm gonna start using it too.  I'll report back in a fortnight.

Score!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5897 on: December 15, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »

Seeing as the savings rate for the average person is a negative amount, any amount is a good start and for a group of average people (not mustachians) 30% is downright excellent. According to MMM's chart, someone that is 30 years old that is saving 30% should be able to retire at 58, which is a lot sooner than 65.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5898 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »

Seeing as the savings rate for the average person is a negative amount, any amount is a good start and for a group of average people (not mustachians) 30% is downright excellent. According to MMM's chart, someone that is 30 years old that is saving 30% should be able to retire at 58, which is a lot sooner than 65.

I think the point is that better than the average consumerist sucka is not necessarily "proper", it's just better than the average consumerist sucka. 

It would be like me saying eating mcdonalds twice a week is a proper diet, and then being scolded, and then me saying "but it's a better diet than the average american!".  Limiting yourself you mcdonalds twice a week may indeed be better than the average american diet, but that doesn't make it a proper diet.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5899 on: December 15, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
And even more to the point, labeling your budget and savings rate as "proper" with no other factors taken into consideration is stupid.  Is a young man with a wife and 3 kids, all with medical problems, and who is making $22k a year not have a "proper" budget if his savings rate is below 30%?  If you are a professional athlete making $10M/yr and saving 30%, is that a "proper" budget?  The whole concept of 30% being a proper savings rate is completely arbitrary.