Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4772526 times)

solon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5650 on: November 26, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
I can't figure it out. I'm a finance guy, and there's no way I can get the monthly payment into the range they're talking about. I did notice the 36 month lease in the fine print on a few of them, but that doesn't make sense either.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5651 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
Wait a second, are you telling me there are places where you can truly buy a car for 50% off the retail price? As in, I can walk in with $7,372.50 and walk out with a brand new Hyundai Accent?

Where do you live and can I crash on your couch for the night?

It looks like a really good deal at first glance, but there's fine print (of course).  The cheapest one requires a "qualifying trade-in," a bunch of the discounts are rebates that not everyone will qualify for, there's something called a "valued owner coupon".   A lot of it doesn't even make sense.  The ads all have some figure like "$39 per month" and I cannot figure out where this number is coming from.  Someone look at it for me. http://www.centennialhyundailasvegas.com/

I can't figure it out. I'm a finance guy, and there's no way I can get the monthly payment into the range they're talking about. I did notice the 36 month lease in the fine print on a few of them, but that doesn't make sense either.

$8,974 - 20% down payment = $7,179. Then you just need to finance that amount at 0.9% interest for 198 months to get $39 per month... Yeah, I highly doubt that's what they're doing.

As a side note, if you remove the $4,000 trade in and compare to the cheapest Accent MSRP ($14,645) that you could be buying instead of their $18,075 MSRP model then you're really only getting 11% off. Not such an awesome deal that the 50% sounds like.

Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5652 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Wait a second, are you telling me there are places where you can truly buy a car for 50% off the retail price? As in, I can walk in with $7,372.50 and walk out with a brand new Hyundai Accent?

Where do you live and can I crash on your couch for the night?

It looks like a really good deal at first glance, but there's fine print (of course).  The cheapest one requires a "qualifying trade-in," a bunch of the discounts are rebates that not everyone will qualify for, there's something called a "valued owner coupon".   A lot of it doesn't even make sense.  The ads all have some figure like "$39 per month" and I cannot figure out where this number is coming from.  Someone look at it for me. http://www.centennialhyundailasvegas.com/

$8,974 - 20% down payment = $7,179. Then you just need to finance that amount at 0.9% interest for 198 months to get $39 per month... Yeah, I highly doubt that's what they're doing.

As a side note, if you remove the $4,000 trade in and compare to the cheapest Accent MSRP ($14,645) that you could be buying instead of their $18,075 MSRP model then you're really only getting 11% off. Not such an awesome deal that the 50% sounds like.

Outside my apartment building (two 12 story buildings), there's a food truck a couple of times a week serving people food. I see people buying food at it. It's like loosing the keys between 1,3,5,7, and 9. Just can't even...

There's a food truck that parks near my work. We've even received company e-mails reminding us to go support them. Uh, no thanks.

might be that you have to have a trade in of a certain predetermined value.  Or the payment schedule includes a balloon payment - or both...

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5653 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
I have a wonderful marriage with a husband who supports me in my desire to be a stay at home mother to many children. I would not be happy married to someone who didn't find that important and valuable. If my husband was unable to earn enough to support a large family, he wasn't a good partner for me, though he might be for someone else.
Sorry to stay OT, but I think the interesting thing about all of this is that for decades, this was the norm.

I mean, there were decades when most women were SAHMs, and finding a  husband to support them was important (whether it be "in style" or "just barely").
Of course now that women can have their OWN careers, it's wrong to choose a husband with that as a consideration?

I dunno, I have to admit that my recent experience in the work force has shown me that we have a LONG way to go towards equality in the work place and in pay.  So considering that, I get the point.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5654 on: November 27, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Not heard at work but out with friends.

One leases a car and gets a new one every three years.  She considers it a fixed cost.  As long as it's under $500/month, she says that she's getting 0.9% interest on the Prius lease she has just gotten into.  So for her it's $440 a month, and $700 in interest over the course of three years but she wouldn't change a thing. She says it's under warranty and that she would lose so much time and money trying to find a mechanic to replace brakes or if something else were to go wrong with an older car.

My jaw just dropped but I couldn't say a word.  A fixed cost!  She says she'll always lease.

whiskerstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5655 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
This coming from a friend on Facebook who four years after college still hasnt found a job, got pregnant and split up, and who is absolutely milking her grandparents for money while they still slave away in their old age.

-One of her most recent ridiculousnesses on FB

"Hey friends! Went baby shopping today realized I have no room for the clothes! Now selling baby clothes from newborn to 12 months!

(Not so bad up to this point)

"And don't worry! All clothes is washed and only worn ONCE by my baby (insert generic boy name) and designer brands like baby gap, carters, okie dokie, Bonnie Jean, Ralph lauren, akademiks"

I know her grandparents very well and they frequently have shared their worry over having enough to retire and they by no means are wealthy. It saddens me to think their freedom is being sucked away by subsidizing their granddaughters life so she can post pictures of her son in a new outfit everyday. I swear she uses him like an accessory.
Earning by Convention, Investing by Necessity, & Future ER by invention.

SporeSpawn

« Reply #5656 on: November 27, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Heard in a family discussion.

I've always known my family understood not to spend more than they had but never really knew how to have more than they were given (meaning, no savings/investing/frugality). But one thing I never noticed: their car habits.

During Thanksgiving conversation, a family member joked about how their year-old, bought-new Honda is "already looking worn out." It was a joke but they admitted, "Oh, I'll sell it in four years. Every five years I've got to get a new one."

A brand new car every five years like clockwork. What's sad is I know this particular person and their family has FOUR cars, three of which are paid off. But they've just accepted on principal that every five years they have to renew their debt. Meanwhile, they complain about having ten more years left on their house and being unable to afford land in an area they've always adored.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5657 on: November 27, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
It saddens me to think their freedom is being sucked away by subsidizing their granddaughters life so she can post pictures of her son in a new outfit everyday.

I agree the situation sucks, but realistically they are the creators of their own circumstance. Why don't they just say "no"?

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5658 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »

"I need to get at least a 3 bedroom, so I have space for my dog." (Single woman, early twenties.)

Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.

Self-facepunch: My house came with a covered porch with a short brick wall around the perimeter.  After I adopted a dog, I decided to have windows installed and turn it into a sunroom, which would also function as a day room for the dog. The week construction started, I accepted a new job in a different city and am now renting a (not nearly so nice) house there. Guess the next owner of my old house will get to enjoy the sunroom, which has its own HVAC system.

Cabinet hardware: find what you want at a home improvement store and search for the model number on eBay. I got a decent discount that way.

Cabinets above cabinets: These can be helpful for storage of items you seldom use, but are not something I would buy if I were renovating a kitchen. Useless for items you frequently use.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5659 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
Cabinets above cabinets: These can be helpful for storage of items you seldom use, but are not something I would buy if I were renovating a kitchen. Useless for items you frequently use.

They can also be useful for not having to clean the top of the cabinets.  Our old house had a shelf up there that collected dust like you wouldn't believe.  New place has extra storage, so I just don't use it and never have to worry about cleaning. :)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5660 on: November 27, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »

My jaw just dropped but I couldn't say a word.  A fixed cost!  She says she'll always lease.

Could be worse. Way, way upthread I mentioned my coworker who replaced a couple year old car because the battery died. "It's all downhill from there."

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5661 on: November 28, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »

Could be worse. Way, way upthread I mentioned my coworker who replaced a couple year old car because the battery died. "It's all downhill from there."

This makes sence though... a $100 battery or a $30000 car.... oviously the new car has warranty, which will save her money

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5662 on: November 28, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »

This makes sence though... a $100 battery or a $30000 car.... oviously the new car has warranty, which will save her money

The next step would be to change your car when you run out of fuel or windshield/washer fluid
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5663 on: November 28, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
At my part time, variable hours, modestly paid job where we get paid weekly:

CW: What do you like to do on payday?
Me: What do you mean? Nothing special.
CW: I mean, what do you treat yourself with? It's nice to have a bit of money in the bank, isn't it? I always get myself a little something on payday.
Me (takes a deep breath and decides to go for it): I count how many more days I can afford to take off work after Christmas.
CW: Right... Yeah... (Pause.) I've found this great thing on eBay! [Shows me a listing for some film memorabilia that costs more than our entire weekly wage on a good week.]
Me:* Facepalm*

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5664 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »

If anyone ever needed a face punch.......

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5665 on: November 28, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

The next step would be to change your car when you run out of fuel or windshield/washer fluid

You mean you dont?! :P

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5666 on: November 28, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
Chat with a co-worker [who is in her early 50's]:

Me: "I'm looking into opening another retirement account."
Co-worker: "What?" You're a thirtysomething!"
Me: "Exactly."
Co-worker: "But you're only in your 30's! How can you be worrying about retirement NOW???"
Me: *facepalm*

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5667 on: November 28, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »

Co-worker: "But you're only in your 30's! How can you be worrying about retirement NOW???"

Her choice of words is revealing. You're not WORRIED about it. You're PLANNING for it

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5668 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

No, my trigger to buy a new car is when the tire pressure is out of range. It's usualy a good sign that a car is no more reliable. I'm a kind of pragmatic you know...
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5669 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »

Her choice of words is revealing. You're not WORRIED about it. You're PLANNING for it

To be honest, fear [of not being able to retire] was the initial motivator. But now that I'm planning for it, I am not actively worried :)   

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5670 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

No, my trigger to buy a new car is when the tire pressure is out of range. It's usualy a good sign that a car is no more reliable. I'm a kind of pragmatic you know...

Pshh you guys are all amateurs.  I just buy a new car every two months, then I don't even need to check the tire pressure/wiper fluid/etc.

It's totally not a big deal since you can just roll over the payments, and you get a great trade-in value.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: November 28, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
Wow. It's been a bumper day today. So...

CW1 was talking about renewing her contract for the next quarter in the new year or trying to find other (better paid) work, and whether it was worth taking a risk or staying with the safe job. It's possible she wouldn't find work until February or March (it can be quite seasonal i our field). CW2 was sympathising and, to be honest, so was I. UNTIL she said that she was tempted to stay in this job despite the fact that the schedule and pay suck (I am quitting at Christmas!) because if she didn't find work in January she would have to take out a loan. I was kind of confused and asked what for. CW1 looked at me and said "To pay my rent." WTF??? We work in a very variable, mostly freelance industry and you don't have ONE MONTH of rent saved??? She is an older woman and so must know by now that sometimes you work and sometimes you don't, but it clearly hasn't crossed her mind to be able to plan for when you don't.

It gets worse/better...

CW3 chimes in and talks about how she'd love to do that but can't get a loan because when she was made redundant from her permanent job before taking the casual one here (which she does full time) she has to take an IVA (basically declare bankruptcy). WTF??? So she can't even get a phone contract! I am really hoping that her debts were to do with some life event because she is an older women who seems so sensible and worked the same job at the same company for thirty years before being made redundant.

AND THEN...

CW1 says that she's been thinking of taking out a big loan to consolidate her existing debts (previous underemployment loans perhaps?) and cover her living expenses for a significant period of time to reduce the pressure to find work, and then declaring bankruptcy. WTF??? Is this a life strategy? What happens next time she can't find work for a month? No more loans for her, so she and her little dog will be homeless! Thankfully CW3 advised her that it was a terrible idea because she'll never be able to get credit for anything ever again. And clearly credit is built into her lifestyle.

And then we sat around for half an hour and talked about how horrific the Black Friday sales are and how bizarre it is that people fight each other for televisions at a slight discount when they've no doubt got one at home already. Seriously, I thought CW2 was the one who was bad with money (the one of the 'payday treats' from my earlier post) but I was totally shocked by what I heard today.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5672 on: November 28, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

I'm confused... is it something about food trucks in particular?  Or just fast food in general?  I mean, if I *really* want fast food, I guess I'd rather my $6 go to an entrepreneur than McDonalds.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #5673 on: November 28, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »

I'm confused... is it something about food trucks in particular?  Or just fast food in general?  I mean, if I *really* want fast food, I guess I'd rather my $6 go to an entrepreneur than McDonalds.

I was wondering the same because I love food trucks.  We actually make an occasional date night at one of the many food truck events around town here.  All sorts of good food. 
I suspect the problem people have with this is that CWs are religiously buying lunch from these trucks as opposed to the occasional cheapish date (as my wife and I make them).

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #5674 on: November 29, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
There's a possibility we could go on strike (currently remote, since bargaining hasn't even officially started yet).

Me: "Well, I guess that's a good reason to be sure to save up some extra for the next several months" (hint, hint, c'mon, take the bait, ...please? let's talk about SAVING!)

CW1: "Ha! Not a chance for me, with this new kitchen going in, I'll still be paying off my loans."

CW2: "I could maybe last a month..."

CW1: "That's pretty good!"

CW2" "...because I can take a 'skip-a-payment' mortgage holiday, ha ha ha!"

General merriment ensues, and the talk turns to kitchen renos. Meanwhile, I'm mentally calculating about 5 years living expenses saved up, and probably more like 10-15 years by the time an actual strike could happen (assuming at least 1-2 years before giving up on bargaining). As always, I keep my trap shut, and join in the kitchen talk. Ah well, I tried.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #5675 on: November 30, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Got into a conversation at work about retirement and investing and such things:

CW: I bought an annuity.
me: oh, what type?
CW: what do you mean?
me: fixed, variable, indexed?
CW: I don't know.

me:can withdraw you funds for an emergency? what are the surrender charges?

me: is it immediate or deferred?
me:How did you end up buying this anyway?
CW: (smug) My financial advisor told me too. (get her, she's got a financial advisor) She specializes in financial planning for women.

me: does she operate on a suitability standard or a fiduciary standard?

me: is she paid by fee from you or by commission when she sells you an investment?
CW: I guess the insurance company pays her.
me: she works for an insurance company?
CW: yes. I think she does this to help her clients.

I didn't go into "why would women need special financial planning? are you sure that isn't a marketing ploy to make you trust her more?" or "do you think she sold this to get a big commission?"

Maybe I'm off base here, I'm no financial wizard, but it seems to that I wouldn't tie up a bunch of money in an investment I didn't understand. And I'm not saying that annuities are always a terrible idea for absolutely everybody. It seems more then a coincidence to me that this person is an insurance agent and also steers folks into a product frequently sold by insurance companies. I guess what blows my mind is that someone would trust their financial future to someone without doing a little intel first.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:59:47 AM by KodeBlue »

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5676 on: November 30, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
I guess what blows my mind is that someone would trust their financial future to someone without doing a little intel first.
Get used to it. Thats normal.

There are lots of people who would not give a cent to someone who asks them for it - he could be a swindler.
These people always pay way to much taxes for a bureoracy government that doesnt know how to handle money.
They will guard there money from famaily and never lend a single penny to a friend.
And they will smugly tell you they have a nice advisor and are now insured against hailstorms of flying fish - and that they made a deal because it was on discount!

The name "financial advisor" is like a magic wand - you create believers. Does also work in other fields. Wear a lab coat, garble a bit BS and no one questions what you say.

And these people will stay with their advisor even if he losts them money. Because if they would admit it, they would admit they made an error in choosing him.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5677 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »

I was wondering the same because I love food trucks.  We actually make an occasional date night at one of the many food truck events around town here.  All sorts of good food. 
I suspect the problem people have with this is that CWs are religiously buying lunch from these trucks as opposed to the occasional cheapish date (as my wife and I make them).

I don't have anything against food trucks specifically, though I do wonder sometimes if they have a food handling license. It's just too expensive to make eating out for lunch a weekly habit. I really don't understand the people that eat out every day.

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5678 on: November 30, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
CW complained that the government is garnishing a small portion of her wages. Turns out she didn't file taxes a couple years ago. But she has an accountant that files her taxes, so she is upset that her accountant didn't file them. She mentioned getting some paper work to same accountant for this year taxes. I asked why she doesn't just do them herself, as this guy doesn't seem to be doing a good job. Her taxes would be pretty straight forward- single, no kids, regular job (ie not self employed).  but that would be "to much work, it's easier to get someone else to do it."

I don't get it. I know taxes are a pain in the butt but they aren't hard. and getting someone else to do them is essentially costing her a lot of worry and probably some money right now.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5679 on: November 30, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
I took a vacation day on Friday and went in to work yesterday. I must had had at least six people ask me if I took the day off to go shopping, which I of course answered no.  All those conversations were anti-mmm but one stuck out the must.

My coworker is in his late-20's, single, with a newer BMW and recently bought a 3300sq/ft home.

CW: Hey man you took off yesterday to go shopping early?
Me: Oh no not at all, just spent time at home with the family.
CW: But dude Best Buy had a 60inch Panasonic TV for only $200.
Me: That's nice but I have enough TV's at home.(3 total - two over 10 years old and one I got 6 years ago when we bought our home)
CW: Yeah me too but they were only $200 for a 60inch.
Me: So you got one?
CW: Shit I got two, one for the mancave and one for the living room. I spent over $800 yesterday.
Me: I thought those two were nice ones.
Cw: Yeah one's a 47inch and the other one's a 55inch but I'll probably just put one in the garage and one in the weight room.

Like wtf??? How many TV's do you need in a home for a single person???
Why he wouldn't use one of his two ipads for movie/tv watching is beyond me.
I didn't ask what else he bought, I actually felt sick to my stomach.
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #5680 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
I took a vacation day on Friday and went in to work yesterday. I must had had at least six people ask me if I took the day off to go shopping, which I of course answered no.  All those conversations were anti-mmm but one stuck out the must.

My coworker is in his late-20's, single, with a newer BMW and recently bought a 3300sq/ft home.

Me: That's nice but I have enough TV's at home.(3 total - two over 10 years old and one I got 6 years ago when we bought our home)
CW: Shit I got two, one for the mancave and one for the living room. I spent over $800 yesterday.
Cw: Yeah one's a 47inch and the other one's a 55inch but I'll probably just put one in the garage and one in the weight room.

All those TV's AND he has 2 ipads? Uhhh...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #5681 on: November 30, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
The mancave and the weight room are separate places?

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #5682 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Single and 3,300 square foot house!  Wow. 

lizfish

• Stubble
« Reply #5683 on: December 01, 2014, 01:55:10 AM »

During the winter, my husband actually gets mad at me when I wash his fleece-lined jeans.  "You're washing all the warmth out of them!!"  Meaning, the layer of dirt, grime, and sweat creates another layer and makes them even warmer.  LOL!

Mmmm fleece lined jeans. Those are so not a thing here in the UK but I've looked longingly at them in the ll bean catalogue when we visit Maine. Do they do them for ladies? Of course we have no idea what cold is over here. But fleece...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5684 on: December 01, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
Single and 3,300 square foot house!  Wow.

Why does a single man need a "cave?"  The whole house is already a man cave

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #5685 on: December 01, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »

During the winter, my husband actually gets mad at me when I wash his fleece-lined jeans.  "You're washing all the warmth out of them!!"  Meaning, the layer of dirt, grime, and sweat creates another layer and makes them even warmer.  LOL!

Mmmm fleece lined jeans. Those are so not a thing here in the UK but I've looked longingly at them in the ll bean catalogue when we visit Maine. Do they do them for ladies? Of course we have no idea what cold is over here. But fleece...

primark do fleece lined tights. like a magical hoodie for your legs. love them!

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5686 on: December 01, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
The mancave and the weight room are separate places?

Yes, the basement is his mancave and one of the 3 bedrooms is a weight room. This leaves him with a master bedroom and two other spare rooms. One is his home office and the other for whomever spends the night.

He's a car salesman and makes about $110k per year. He's a nice guy but I don't think he understands his troublesome ways...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5687 on: December 01, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.
Going OT a bit here - and I hope with the nested quotes I got the right author.

Dogs don't need any rooms of their own.  They want to be in the same room as you are. That includes the bedroom, the bathroom, the laundry room - I feel like I have a permanent furry bodyguard.

Me too. We call him Mr. Underfoot.

When I did work at an old age home, bowel movements were referred to as BMs.  Hence the joke about the BM degree.  :P

Maybe i'm the only one that got and appreciated the low brow toilet humor.  Keep 'em comin'.

ha, me too!

If I do "overheard at the boyfriends' parents over Thanksgiving" instead of "overheard at work" is that okay? Because they are very sweet people but TOTALLY CRAY about their spending on weird/pointless shit.

Apparently their old (not that old) washing machine "broke" (?? Mom was vague on what actually broke. Knowing them it was most likely quite fixable.) Replaced with brand new LG washer and dryer that seriously look like robots. The washing machine WEIGHS YOUR LAUNDRY and chooses the appropriate load size setting accordingly. Not gonna lie, that's some cool Jetsons shit but people actually pay for this?!!?

We tried telling them about Roku and that they should drop satellite (they don't watch any out of market sports, and already have Amazon Prime, so there would be PLENTY to watch between Roku and OTA). His mom said something about how they can't drop Dish because they need cable internet for his stepdad's work (which is in IT)?! Then bringing his stepdad into the conversation because this made no sense, we find out they already have a BluRay player that basically works like a Roku/smart TV thing, so should be able to watch Amazon Prime content (and maybe some other Internet-based stuff?) on that anyway... but they don't... and they still pay for satellite! Basically his mom has no idea how anything works, but I expect better of his stepdad, who is at least tech-savvy!

Also, on Black Friday we went to this Polish pottery store that she loves and she bought a ton of shit including a double butter dish EVEN THOUGH SHE LITERALLY ALREADY HAS AT LEAST TWO BUTTER DISHES. What do you even do with all those butter dishes?!? (not gonna lie, I did buy an overpriced spoon rest but I've been looking for one for ages and it was a nice western PA souvenir and matches my kitchen). Oh yeah and the pottery store was like 40 minutes away, we drove the most inconvenient route possible and then bf's parents actually drove BACK to that town the next day for more shopping.

Also, his mom doesn't drive, but they still have two cars, a nice newer Kia Sorrento SUV (this is driven for stepdad's super long commute, although at least he carpools with their neighbor/best friend) and slightly older Hyundai sedan (his "mom's car," even though, you know, she doesn't drive). I haven't heard her say this before, but this time she was complaining about how her car was "old" but nothing was wrong with it so they would probably keep it "another 10 years" and she'll "never get another new car". Ahhh!

I hate to rip on them because they are such sweet people and very hospitable to us (letting us borrow a car when we're in town, etc.), but OMG such an exploding volcano of wastefulness that it HURTS. I mean, my parents aren't in amazing financial shape either, but they aren't quite as conspicuously insane. I have no idea how they're paying for all this either, I'm sure his stepdad makes decent money but his mom has been retired for a few years and before that was an admin at a medical school, so I don't think they're rolling in it. It stresses me out just thinking about it!

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #5688 on: December 01, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
Asked a coworker how his weekend was and got a long story about all the shopping he and his wife are doing for new furniture.  He's in his twenties, the only breadwinner, with two kids under 3 years old, new car and is about to move into his brand new custom built house, which I'm guessing is about 2500 ft2.  Even with young kids, his wife didn't want to move the old furniture into the new house so everything is being replaced.  /*facepalm/

I smiled and said nothing.

This sounds so much like my BIL it's scary. Bought a brand new $40k SUV. Is currently building a brand new custom 2600sqr ft home in the most expensive part of town and still hasn't fixed and listed his current home. (Current price $325k and climbing "the fireplace options were gross")

All this while making between $100-$120k/yr. Leveraged to the eyeballs.

They decided to not put the 20%, they say they had, down on the house because there old furniture is crap. PMI>Old furniture.

The whole reason for the move was to cut the SIL commute down from 1 hr each way. So they picked a location where her commute will only be 20 min BUT the BIL commute will now go from 5 min to 1 hour each way. ??

Sandwiched between all the great news about the new house are comments like "if we don't sell our current house in 6 months we will be bankrupt" "daycare is to expensive in the new area so we will be getting the kids up at 5 am to ride with dad to the current babysitters"

Mind boggling. End rant.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5689 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »

He got two, but spent $800?  I guess the little trick by Best Buy worked...
I love being outside.

FIPurpose

• Pencil Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #5690 on: December 01, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

"Would you like to get the extended warranty? It's only an extra $150 per tv."

I used to work at a Best Buy in college. Hated pushing that stuff, but people bought it. Though stores like Best Buy are only staying alive because of the credit cards they push.
We have received an offer to join the Peace Corps, and will be heading out in the second half of 2017. We'll be writing a newsletter to send out when we can here:
Our Peace Corps News Letter

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5691 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
I almost thought as much, but what does a BA and MA have to do with math?

Different colleges and universities specify their degrees differently. One of my undergraduate degrees is in Computer Science, but it's a Bachelor of Arts degree for arcane historical reasons. So are the Mathematics degrees from the same school.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5692 on: December 01, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »

Yeah I'm not sure what else he bought but that's how much he ended up spending.
And NO I'm not a car salesman, I'm a service shop foreman ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5693 on: December 01, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
[
3.  The spouse has a reimbursement check from work for $40 that he just found.  It's from over a year ago.  He's like, 'Eh.  I'm not going to bother with this.'  I just... I just don't get it.

LOL! That actually came up with someone, though in his defense he works Monday through Saturday and a ton of hours. Thankfully a mutual friend convinced him to sign up with Ally and then since he has a smartphone, there is an option of taking a picture of both sides of the check to deposit it through its app, saving him a trip.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5694 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

2. A co-worker had made tacos the night before and was complaining about how expensive it was.  It's not the first time she's complained about how cooking is almost as expensive as eating out.  She's a good cook and isn't making lobster every night or anything.  I'm actually not sure how to easily get across the right strategies, like planning for the week so you can use up all of the ingredients or basing the menu on sales.

Depends on what she was making or using. There's a taco truck about half a mile from where I live during the non-frozen months and tacos are $2 each, and are absolutely amazing. Making them at home might save a little bit, but for the amount of work required I generally will go to and grab it from that place, though for me this is a treat.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5695 on: December 01, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »

Enough TVs to watch two sportsball games at the same time, without missing anything when going to the bathroom.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5696 on: December 01, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

primark do fleece lined tights. like a magical hoodie for your legs. love them!

Carhartts (not sure if you get that brand in the UK?) do make lined pants for women.  But I cannot agree more about fleece-lined leggings.  I wear those as my second layer during the winter and just take of my jeans when I get home and parade around in the leggings because it's like wearing nothing, only warmer.  :)  So comfy.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5697 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
On the topic of food trucks: Why are they all so goddamn expensive? They're supposed to be cheap food without a fixed address. Why is a grilled cheese $6? No thanks. (Yes, I'm sure you know of "that one cheap one" but just replace "all" with "most.")

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5698 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
it was a nice western PA souvenir
Where?  (I grew up in western PA)

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5699 on: December 01, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »
On the topic of food trucks: Why are they all so goddamn expensive? They're supposed to be cheap food without a fixed address. Why is a grilled cheese $6? No thanks. (Yes, I'm sure you know of "that one cheap one" but just replace "all" with "most.")

Because it's now the "cool/hip" thing to do and promote on social media. All the culinary students are jumping on the bandwagon and bringing the same mentality that makes restaurants such a ripoff. I can't even imagine how many people I see online just posting pics of their "truck day" - spending  $11-12 for lunch and happy about it.

This is completely the opposite of what food trucks are supposed to be. They are about low pricing and quality food. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more regular restaurants pushing their own food trucks to promote their normal spots.

So annoying...