Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253382 times)

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5400 on: November 20, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
My young co-worker (24) and I were talking, I don't even remember the context, but I mentioned something about earning interest on my bank account.  I have a very good rate with a local bank, 3.25% APY, so atypical, I know.  She'd never heard of earning interest on a bank balance.  Like, the concept was so completely foreign to her, I had to explain it slowly, and she was in complete disbelief.

Yeah, on it's own, this isn't too surprising. She simply hasn't been alive and saving at a time when interest-bearing bank accounts were a normal thing. Which is why she's lucky to have an "old person" like you to give perspective and explain that things have not always been this way, and likely will not continue this way indefinitely.

A couple of other important examples where current-conditions can effect (have effected) behavior, even among Mustachians, in eras where those conditions no longer apply:
  • a significant part of the cultural interest in dividend-producing stocks today is a holdover from an era when trading fees were much higher than they are now, so dividends were the only low-cost way to generate income from investments. Dividend investors are like your 24-year-old who just never heard that now you can sell shares to achieve the same income.
  • I predict that 72(t)/SEPP will be an underused method to tap tax-deferred access in the future, simply because, due to the currently-low interest rates, a generation of Mustachians is developing their plans while hearing little about it (with the Roth pipeline method getting the lion's share of the chatter). Yeah, 72(t)/SEPP doesn't make sense right now, but it may make a lot of sense in the future.

Heh... I'm 31 :P

Hi, checking in as a fellow 20-something. Not letting this girl off the hook that easily. Well, maybe she gets off the hook, but not her parents. I remember well the days of great interest rates. In high school, my mom and I moved $2k of my savings account (which was most of it, to be fair) into CD's! I don't remember the rate exactly, but they were only 1 or 2 years, I'm thinking they paid at least 3 or 4%. It's not like banks paying meaningful interest is ancient history.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5401 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
Are you saying that with interest rates so low it's artificially reducing the maximum amount you can draw annually on the SEPP? So if/when interest rates increase so do the SEPP distributions?

Yeah. When MMM wrote his canonical How Much is Too Much in your 401(k) article, the max withdrawal rate for a 35-year-old via SEPP was about 2.9%, much lower than the Safe 4%, so it was kind of dismissed on that basis. Today that withdrawal rate is already up to 3.4%, while back in May 2010 it was a completely reasonable 4.2%.

I agree that in some (many?) cases, the Roth Pipeline has advantages over SEPP, but it can play out both ways, and yeah, of course using the two together is also possible. But I bet if interest rates had stayed high enough over the last few years to enable >4% WRs via SEPP, most of us wouldn't even be aware of the concept of a "Roth Pipeline" because its invention/promotion wouldn't have been necessary.

Hi, checking in as a fellow 20-something. Not letting this girl off the hook that easily. Well, maybe she gets off the hook, but not her parents.

Yeah, I agree with at least face-punching her parents/educators. I'm thankful for my mom getting me started on a passbook savings account as a kid (where I was getting something like 7%-8%!) And regardless of that, she still deserves a face-punch for assuming a $50/mo fee was normal, since, even if her parents are dead or never saved a penny in their lives, there are plenty of "free checking" ads out there from banks that she at least should have noticed.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5402 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
My young co-worker (24) and I were talking, I don't even remember the context, but I se conditions no longer apply:
  • a significant part of the cultural interest in dividend-producing stocks today is a holdover from an era when trading fees were much higher than they are now, so dividends were the only low-cost way to generate income from investments. Dividend investors are like your 24-year-old who just never heard that now you can sell shares to achieve the same income.
Guilty!   I only realized this idea last month due to this forum...   In my defense it is because retirement *used to be* so far off, I was not concerned with the best strategy today versus 29 yrs from now.

I am still grappling with the concept that it is okay to eat the cow that gives the milk...
And -->
Appologies for the astericks....  I like 'em...[/list]

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5403 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
I've only been here a short while though

1000+ post count, short while. Checks out.

Unfortunately there are a few * that do like to piss in the punchbowl, and it's frustrating not being sure the best way to handle those people without being biased.  Off topic discussion = fine.  Disagreeing opinions = awesome.   Being a * to other people for no reason, no.

/shrinks

Heh, I wasn't even thinking of our conversation in the Apple thread.  Yes, being a * just because you can is trolling.  No, you haven't been bad, and were not one of the people I was thinking of.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5404 on: November 20, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
A grown adult man that I work with brings a lunchable to work for lunch.

Another man had gushers fruit snacks this week.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5405 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »

Oh gawd why?!?!?! =,=;

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5406 on: November 20, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »

Oh gawd why?!?!?! =,=;

I really don't think that should be allowed to be called food.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5407 on: November 20, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »

A lunchable, as in one?  So many things wrong with that...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5408 on: November 20, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »

Oh gawd why?!?!?! =,=;

When I was a kid, I always wanted gushers and lunchables because other kids had them, but I never did. Now I can, just because I can. I had a late-night snack of marshmallows yesterday, because fuck you that's why. Yep, I occasionally buy junk food, the horror. Not that I would buy lunchables, because there's way better junk food I could eat.

Now, lunchables every day might be ... strange.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5409 on: November 21, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »

Now all you need is someone eating GoGurt and you'll have a trifecta

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5410 on: November 21, 2014, 04:55:01 AM »

Gogurt would fit better in my lunch box... The same one I've had for 17 years now. It has my name on it and everything! (Well, it's fading). In cas you think it's some Optimus Prime lunchbox or whatever, it's not. It's an Eddie Bauer soft washable lunchbox. It goes in my brief case every day :). My lunches now consist of: carrots and leftovers most of the time... Same as when I was young pretty much.

jordanread

« Reply #5411 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:50 AM »

Gogurt would fit better in my lunch box... The same one I've had for 17 years now. It has my name on it and everything! (Well, it's fading). In cas you think it's some Optimus Prime lunchbox or whatever, it's not. It's an Eddie Bauer soft washable lunchbox. It goes in my brief case every day :). My lunches now consist of: carrots and leftovers most of the time... Same as when I was young pretty much.

I'm disappointed it's not an Optimus Prime one. I suggest getting a sharpie and remedying that situation immediately.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5412 on: November 21, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »

Oh gawd why?!?!?! =,=;

When I was a kid, I always wanted gushers and lunchables because other kids had them, but I never did. Now I can, just because I can. I had a late-night snack of marshmallows yesterday, because fuck you that's why. Yep, I occasionally buy junk food, the horror. Not that I would buy lunchables, because there's way better junk food I could eat.

Now, lunchables every day might be ... strange.

I don't really crave the Lunchables, since they are basically overpriced cheese and crackers (which I do like), but I am not ashamed to admit that if someone gave me a free package of Gushers I would eat the shit out of them. I love Gushers!

There's a whole category of food that I just don't ever buy/completely avoid those aisles at the grocery store, because I love them and they are so overpriced and bad for you. Cereal, crackers, and fruit snacks come to mind. Oh and Zebra Cakes/Oatmeal Creme Pies/HoHos/etc. Dear god. I can't believe I'm admitting this!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #5413 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »

I'm disappointed it's not an Optimus Prime one. I suggest getting a sharpie and remedying that situation immediately.

My lunch box looks like an owl and I did buy it from the selection clearly marketed at kids.  It's cute, awesomely insulated, and fits nicely in the backpack I use to walk to work.  Though since you've been using the same lunch box for 17 years, you get a pass on it not being an Optimus Prime one.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5414 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »

My lunch box looks like an owl and I did buy it from the selection clearly marketed at kids.  It's cute, awesomely insulated, and fits nicely in the backpack I use to walk to work.  Though since you've been using the same lunch box for 17 years, you get a pass on it not being an Optimus Prime one.

Optimus Prime? Total pass due to the age, but that just means it should have Optimus Primal on there instead...

I'm not sure which part of this post is worse: that a guy pushing 40 just made this joke, or that a guy who's not kept up with toy cartoons since the 1980's still somehow wound up dedicating neurons to store this potential joke for nearly two decades. Either way, my shame is deep.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5415 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
I carry my lunch in a 22 year old "Munchmate Plus" by igloo.  Grandma gave it to me for my ninth birthday.  Gotta admit I'm a little embarrassed by it.  It's starting to look shabby but it is indestructible!  Most of my coworkers eat out or eat packaged junk food.  They are mystified and a little charmed by my mason jars of soup and tea. 

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #5416 on: November 21, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
I carry my lunch in a 22 year old "Munchmate Plus" by igloo.  Grandma gave it to me for my ninth birthday.  Gotta admit I'm a little embarrassed by it.  It's starting to look shabby but it is indestructible!  Most of my coworkers eat out or eat packaged junk food.  They are mystified and a little charmed by my mason jars of soup and tea.

I usually stuff my lunch in my purse or bring it in a grocery bag.  My current purse is ridiculously over-sized, precisely so I can put anything in it.  Earlier this week, it was a quart mason jar of noodle soup.  I got a lot of interest in that mason jar, followed by comments of how canned soup is an OK substitute.  WHAT???  LOL, it's not like making soup is that hard, and from my last batch, we had large bowls for dinner, and I proceeded to fill up three quart jars!  That's a lot of mileage out of one round of cooking...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5417 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »

Optimus Prime? Total pass due to the age, but that just means it should have Optimus Primal on there instead...

I'm not sure which part of this post is worse: that a guy pushing 40 just made this joke, or that a guy who's not kept up with toy cartoons since the 1980's still somehow wound up dedicating neurons to store this potential joke for nearly two decades. Either way, my shame is deep.

I'm almost sure I'm older than you, and I carry my nice, insulated Hello Kitty lunchbox past crowds of my students without shame or irony every day.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5418 on: November 21, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Last year I picked up a Zaza lunch tote at Costco and it's the best one I've ever owned.  It looks like a regular purse/tote (and it's got pink and purple and blue and lavender dots, it's quite possibly the most girly thing I own), but one BIG pocket is insulated and can hold my 20-ounce thermos and my two 10-ounce food jars at the same time.  It came with a salad bowl with a freezer pack that actually works and a tiny screw-top container for salad dressing.  No having to stand in line to use the scuzzy department microwave thanks to my Zaza!

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5419 on: November 21, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
I saw a large Jeep Wrangler with huge jacked up tires in the parking garage at work today.

License Plate: MPG SUKZ

Bumper Sticker:
"Cool Prius!"
          - Nobody

I drive a wrangler and I actually think that's really funny. I know, I know - face punches for driving a Wrangler. It's paid for and our net worth is ~1.3MM at age 35. It's my one and only guilty pleasure. I also don't have a daily commute.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5420 on: November 21, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »

I'm almost sure I'm older than you, and I carry my nice, insulated Hello Kitty lunchbox past crowds of my students without shame or irony every day.

The !Optimus Prime lunchbox is this (but solid black):

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5421 on: November 21, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
You mean black or orange ?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5422 on: November 21, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »

Yes, just one. That's his whole lunch for an 8+ hour shift.

Gushers man has a Campbell's microwavable soup every day. Better than eating out but still expensive. I kindly inquired if he had a crock pot and suggested he make the same soup (beef vegetables) when he complained Campbell's was expensive. Hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll give him a recipe if it comes up again.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:54:11 PM by MayDay »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5423 on: November 21, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Not actually antimustachian, but funny:

I work at a University which had a $14 mil. budget shortfall this year (thanks, legislators, for deciding tax breaks for oil companies were more worthwhile than funding education!) and they're projecting the same next year.  So they're looking at programs to scale back on or cut outright, and the list came out the other day.  I was sitting in a meeting discussing it and someone pointed out that mathematics is on the list.  The person leading the meeting said, "Well, there's the B.A. and M.A., and the B.S. and M.S.  So if the B.A. goes away, that doesn't mean the B.S. will go away."  All I could think was, "That is the truest statement I have ever heard about the U."  Couldn't help snorting with laughter and then everyone looks at me, pauses...round of giggles around the table.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5424 on: November 21, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
I saw a large Jeep Wrangler with huge jacked up tires in the parking garage at work today.

License Plate: MPG SUKZ

Bumper Sticker:
"Cool Prius!"
          - Nobody

I drive a wrangler and I actually think that's really funny. I know, I know - face punches for driving a Wrangler. It's paid for and our net worth is ~1.3MM at age 35. It's my one and only guilty pleasure. I also don't have a daily commute.

In a swedish paper this week, there was a picture of a vintage Rolls-Royce being driven in the posh quarters of Stockholm.  The kicker?  The vanity license plates spelled "EBITDA".

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5425 on: November 21, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »

Oh gawd why?!?!?! =,=;

My guess/hope:
Has kids -- late for work -- grabbed what was on the shelf.

jordanread

« Reply #5426 on: November 21, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »

I work at a University which had a $14 mil. budget shortfall this year (thanks, legislators, for deciding tax breaks for oil companies were more worthwhile than funding education!) and they're projecting the same next year.  So they're looking at programs to scale back on or cut outright, and the list came out the other day.  I was sitting in a meeting discussing it and someone pointed out that mathematics is on the list.  The person leading the meeting said, "Well, there's the B.A. and M.A., and the B.S. and M.S.  So if the B.A. goes away, that doesn't mean the B.S. will go away."  All I could think was, "That is the truest statement I have ever heard about the U."  Couldn't help snorting with laughter and then everyone looks at me, pauses...round of giggles around the table.

I need an explanation. I think B.A. means Business Analyst, but the M.A. throws me off, therefore, I have no idea what the rest of it means.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #5427 on: November 21, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

Gushers man has a Campbell's microwavable soup every day. Better than eating out but still expensive. I kindly inquired if he had a crock pot and suggested he make the same soup (beef vegetables) when he complained Campbell's was expensive. Hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll give him a recipe if it comes up again.

Do you work with my Husband? His "we don't have any leftover's" backup is a can of Campbells- $1-1.25 a can not too bad for lunch Add a piece of fruit and a yogurt and we are all good.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5428 on: November 21, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »

I need an explanation. I think B.A. means Business Analyst, but the M.A. throws me off, therefore, I have no idea what the rest of it means.

BA = Bachelor of Arts MA = Master of Arts BS = depending on context could be Bachelor of Science or Bullshit

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #5429 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
At work:
We frequently get catered in lunches
There are frequently leftovers
In an office of 10 people, making 35-100k per year (big range) there are seldom takers. "Bleh, don't want for dinner what I had for lunch"

It'd go to waste if I didn't take it ;) family of 7 = it'll be et.

jordanread

« Reply #5430 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »

BA = Bachelor of Arts MA = Master of Arts BS = depending on context could be Bachelor of Science or Bullshit

I almost thought as much, but what does a BA and MA have to do with math?

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5431 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »

I drive a wrangler and I actually think that's really funny. I know, I know - face punches for driving a Wrangler.

Only if you don't wave...

('04 Unlimited, Solar Yellow, which will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands)

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #5432 on: November 21, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
We often have pot luck lunches on Mondays or Tuesdays at my job.  People often eat the leftovers the next day.  By the third day, however, most people aren't interested in the leftovers anymore.  That's great for me, because they end up buying me lunch for the rest of the week.  I probably could have brought leftovers home for dinner tonight, too.  Dang, I should have thought of that!

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #5433 on: November 21, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »

IANAA (I Am Not An Academic)

Depending on the school you can often get a B.A. or M.A. in mathematics.  The difference between a BA and a BS has more to do with the approach and the sum of all the classes you take than anything else.

You can also argue that it is/is almost a distinction without a difference in many cases.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5434 on: November 21, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »

BA in mathematics, MA in mathematics.  They're the specific degrees people can get.  There are slightly different requirements for the BA in math rather than the BS in math.  Engineers and computer science majors frequently get either a minor or a second major in math because it's only an extra class or two beyond their normal requirements.  (Comp sci functionally requires a math minor, actually.)  However, one group tends to get the BA (comp sci, I think) since that's more closely in line with their main degree, and the other group tends to get the BS (and we're a huge engineering school).  So the BA has a lower graduation rate and they're considering doing away with that degree entirely, while still keeping the BS in math so that we still have a degree in mathematics.  Same with the MA/MS.

TL;DR: the funny part of that story was the acronym, not which degree they're considering chopping.

jordanread

« Reply #5435 on: November 21, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

BA in mathematics, MA in mathematics.  They're the specific degrees people can get.  There are slightly different requirements for the BA in math rather than the BS in math.  Engineers and computer science majors frequently get either a minor or a second major in math because it's only an extra class or two beyond their normal requirements.  (Comp sci functionally requires a math minor, actually.)  However, one group tends to get the BA (comp sci, I think) since that's more closely in line with their main degree, and the other group tends to get the BS (and we're a huge engineering school).  So the BA has a lower graduation rate and they're considering doing away with that degree entirely, while still keeping the BS in math so that we still have a degree in mathematics.  Same with the MA/MS.

TL;DR: the funny part of that story was the acronym, not which degree they're considering chopping.

I got the comedy of it all, but had no idea that math was considered "the Arts". It's kind of a science-ey thing.And by science-ey, I mean...not art.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5436 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »

Do you work with my Husband? His "we don't have any leftover's" backup is a can of Campbells- $1-1.25 a can not too bad for lunch Add a piece of fruit and a yogurt and we are all good.
I usually add a can of black beans to any canned soup.  That way the soup lasts for two meals and has half the salt and is about half the price.   plus it tastes really good. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5437 on: November 21, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
We think STEM, but traditionally math was separate. I suspect largely because there was a big divide between math and applied math, by which I mean math was theory, and theory was not considered a science. Or something. These days almost nobody does pure math anymore, there's hardly any money in writing proofs unless you get tenure. It's weird. A lot of universities have, for example, a college of science and art, a  college of engineering, a college of business... science and art don't really belong together any more than math and art does, as far as categorizing education goes. Whatever.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5438 on: November 21, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »

I got the comedy of it all, but had no idea that math was considered "the Arts". It's kind of a science-ey thing.And by science-ey, I mean...not art.

Classically, I believe math was typically considered more art than science.  And there are a lot of correlations.  Take music, which can be thought of as math made into sound.  Art has a lot of mathematical explanations for why it's pleasing to our eyes, ratios and whatnot.  I would say that it bridges the gap between art and science quite well.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #5439 on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

I usually add a can of black beans to any canned soup.  That way the soup lasts for two meals and has half the salt and is about half the price.   plus it tastes really good.

That is a very good idea.  I missed it in the first post-Husband does not buy the prepackaged microwavable soups, He has a vented mug that holds one can. He keeps the mug in his desk drawer and I am not sure I want to see it,if it looks anything like his work coffee cup.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #5440 on: November 21, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

Classically, I believe math was typically considered more art than science.  And there are a lot of correlations.  Take music, which can be thought of as math made into sound.  Art has a lot of mathematical explanations for why it's pleasing to our eyes, ratios and whatnot.  I would say that it bridges the gap between art and science quite well.

My Latin teacher explained it this way:

Science and Math are both considered to be under the umbrella of 'Liberal Arts' which in antiquity really had a meaning closer to 'Skills worthy of the Free Man'. Both Science and math were part of the 'Quadrivium', and the humanities part of the 'Trivium', but all of it was still Liberal Arts.

A BS degree (per Wikipedia) was first created around 1860. So it looks like universities differentiating between BS and BA degrees is still fairly new, and from further reading it appears to be arbitrary whether a school calls a particular degree a BA or a BS.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5441 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »
I always say I have a BS in Philosophy.

I'd estimate about 70% of the time the person doesn't notice, 20% of the time they notice but think I just don't know it's a BA, and only 10% of the time someone notices and gets the joke.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5442 on: November 21, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
it appears to be arbitrary whether a school calls a particular degree a BA or a BS.

At all of the fancy universities I have inhabited, the BA is for people who aren't smart enough to get a BS.  Like it's the watered down version with fewer requirements and more latitude for class substitutions. 

Don't like multivariable calculus with imaginary numbers?  No problem, just substitute that Accounting 101 class instead and here's your BA in mathematics. 

It's almost like a mark of shame to have a BA in a STEM field.  It means you wanted to be a scientist and couldn't make the grades.

commodore perry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5443 on: November 21, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »

I drive a wrangler and I actually think that's really funny. I know, I know - face punches for driving a Wrangler.

Only if you don't wave...

('04 Unlimited, Solar Yellow, which will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands)

Oh, I wave! '13 Unlimited Rubicon...also would have to pry out of my cold dead hands :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #5444 on: November 21, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
it appears to be arbitrary whether a school calls a particular degree a BA or a BS.

At all of the fancy universities I have inhabited, the BA is for people who aren't smart enough to get a BS.  Like it's the watered down version with fewer requirements and more latitude for class substitutions. 

Don't like multivariable calculus with imaginary numbers?  No problem, just substitute that Accounting 101 class instead and here's your BA in mathematics. 

It's almost like a mark of shame to have a BA in a STEM field.  It means you wanted to be a scientist and couldn't make the grades.

A BA in Mathematics is for people who enjoy working proofs, but can't quite QED.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #5445 on: November 21, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »
I always say I have a BS in Philosophy.

I'd estimate about 70% of the time the person doesn't notice, 20% of the time they notice but think I just don't know it's a BA, and only 10% of the time someone notices and gets the joke.

I'm stealing your joke arebelspy.  It's brilliant! 

Because I DO have a BS in philosophy - from the University of Malaysia41.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5446 on: November 21, 2014, 08:16:58 PM »

I just looked a few up, out of curiosity. I would wager that the "BA" comes from a liberal arts background, whereas the "BS" was introduced as math got more applied and technical, and they tend to have more rigorous requirements, though sometimes not in the math courses required but in the non-math electives. E.g. University of Arizona requires BS in math to take some math-based science courses, whereas BA requires 2 more years (semesters? I closed the window) of foreign language, which would be typical of a liberal-arts/well-rounded graduate sort of perspective.

Since the BA tends to have more leeway it would be much harder to evaluate the rigor of it, but it's not necessarily less rigorous.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5447 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »

I highly doubt this is unilaterally the case (regarding the mark of shame). I went to a fancy liberal arts school and they awarded only BAs, but I'm pretty sure no one would be ashamed to have a BA in physics from this school. I'm not bragging or anything (my BA is in an arts field, more fool me), but I don't think the above is the whole story. Some people would even turn it around and say that the BA is more prestigious because it requires a more well-rounded curriculum.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5448 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
Some people would even turn it around and say that the BA is more prestigious because it requires a more well-rounded curriculum.

Yea, I've heard that argument from liberal arts majors before, but I fail to see how fewer requirements could ever be considered more prestigious.  It's not like a person with BS was prevented from taking a well rounded curriculum, they were just required to take extra hard classes in their field, too.

When my sister was a newly minted poli sci major, she tried to convince me that her education was just as scientifically rigorous as mine because political science was a SCIENCE, you see, it's right there in the name.  I wasn't buying it then, either.

That's okay, I'm not down on you or her.  The world needs liberal arts majors too. 

Squashy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5449 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:20 PM »

I highly doubt this is unilaterally the case (regarding the mark of shame). I went to a fancy liberal arts school and they awarded only BAs, but I'm pretty sure no one would be ashamed to have a BA in physics from this school. I'm not bragging or anything (my BA is in an arts field, more fool me), but I don't think the above is the whole story. Some people would even turn it around and say that the BA is more prestigious because it requires a more well-rounded curriculum.

I also went to a fancy-pants school that awarded only BAs (actually ABs, since they were extra-fancy and used Latin) except for the engineering major, which awarded only BSs.

As for math as an art vs a science: I am a scientist and both my parents are mathematicians in academia. There are similarities in that we're all searching for "truth" in some way, plus the grant administration and paper writing as practical aspects. The big difference is that science is a lot more evidence-based, and we are more skeptical about people's claims since repeating an experiment yourself isn't the same as checking someone's proof. In both science and math I think there's a lot more intuition and "feel" involved than outsiders might expect.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!