Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252825 times)

Dr. A

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5350 on: November 14, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
Like a black hole where off topic comments go to die.

Must... not... make comment about... orange... holes...

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5351 on: November 14, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
Cw1 told me about her cousin, age 60, who just got a new job and hopes that after another 10 yrs, her "art and writing" will pick up enough to let her stop working her ft job. Woman was delaying start date for her one month trip abroad.

Cw2 told me that it's irresponsible to advise people to consider purchasing insurance on the health exchange, that with the cost of healthcare people shouldn't ever consider retiring without er-paid health insurance. Further elaborated that medicare doesn't cover "anything".

cw3 signed up for the " healthy" snack delivery box and is evangelizing the wonders to other cw. So far, at least 2 others have signed up. The snacks are all super processed overpriced food products.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #5352 on: November 14, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
A guy my DH works with is getting divorced, he makes about 200k/year and also owns his own business, he employs about 30 people buying and flipping houses, renting some.

He told my DH that if he sold everything right now and split it with her, their would be nothing to split because they have that much debt.

No children and not an extremely lavish lifestyle either, they are just in way over their heads, pretty sad.

I honestly, seriously wonder... where does it all go?

I have friends who are married, the husband is a doctor and the wife is a higher up manager for a fairly large corporation. They have two kids and they spend money on schooling and extracurricular activities and all that, but somehow, they are living paycheck to paycheck.

Now, they did just move to a quite large house, but I just can't see the math behind it. I figure they're pulling down about $20k a month... how can you possibly spend that much money and only live an upper middle class lifestyle? I just don't understand it at all.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5353 on: November 14, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.

yeah, don't tell my dog. he already has his own futon, I don't want him to get any more crazy ideas...

If my parent's allowed it, their dogs would sleep in whatever room they decided to sleep in. Master bedroom? Sure. Office? That's comfy. Living room couch? Plenty of space for two people and two dogs!

My cats on the other hand... let's just say I may be the one paying the rent, but I'm not fooling anyone, it's their apartment. They're graciously allowing me to stay with them.

Of course your cats let you stay there - you're part of the live-in staff!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5354 on: November 14, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »
A guy my DH works with is getting divorced, he makes about 200k/year and also owns his own business, he employs about 30 people buying and flipping houses, renting some.

He told my DH that if he sold everything right now and split it with her, their would be nothing to split because they have that much debt.

No children and not an extremely lavish lifestyle either, they are just in way over their heads, pretty sad.
Sounds like he's reliving the Dave Ramsey early career years.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #5355 on: November 14, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

I have friends who are married, the husband is a doctor and the wife is a higher up manager for a fairly large corporation. They have two kids and they spend money on schooling and extracurricular activities and all that, but somehow, they are living paycheck to paycheck.

Now, they did just move to a quite large house, but I just can't see the math behind it. I figure they're pulling down about $20k a month... how can you possibly spend that much money and only live an upper middle class lifestyle? I just don't understand it at all.

Any chance they are socking away so much it only appears like they are pay to pay living?

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5356 on: November 14, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Yes. Reported. You are disgusting.

MOD EDIT: Don't be rude.  Forum Rule #1.

wait ... was Brad H rude to me, or was I rude? It looks like the former, but, I'm fine with being corrected if it's the latter; it would help me know where the line is when it comes to calling out gross behavior.

Regarding crude jokes and moderation, I get it. I agree that morality police are usually obnoxious. I was icked out and I reacted.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5357 on: November 14, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Yes. Reported. You are disgusting.

MOD EDIT: Don't be rude.  Forum Rule #1.

wait ... was Brad H rude to me, or was I rude? It looks like the former, but, I'm fine with being corrected if it's the latter; it would help me know where the line is when it comes to calling out gross behavior.

Regarding crude jokes and moderation, I get it. I agree that morality police are usually obnoxious. I was icked out and I reacted.

It was indeed the former, a comment which has now been removed.

You are free (and encouraged) to report anything that bothers you to have mods take a look - we may not always take action, but we appreciate having things brought to our attention, especially as it sometimes indicates a pattern of behavior that while one particular comment may not warrant censoring, an individual in question may be detracting from things.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5358 on: November 14, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
The advantage of living in New England is that when Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, you can just use the garage as a massive spare refrigerator.

Sshhhh, stop piercing the veil.

You must have a house heated to ideal temperatures all year round, regardless of outside temperatures.

You must have a fridge cooled to ideal temperatures inside of your heated house, regardless of outside temperatures.

You must have a tiny heater inside of your fridge to raise the temperature enough to avoid frost inside of your cooled fridge inside of your heated house inside of your cold environment.

My god, how did all of humanity manage to not die of food poisoning before 1950?
My MIL would put the leftovers from holiday dinners on the unheated back porch.

At least until that year we were washing dishes, she looked out the window, and saw a mouse on the porch!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5359 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
Got another gem this morning.  Context: coworker is heading to Morocco on vacation in a week, last week she was thinking of getting a bigger house because her clothes have filled all FOUR of her closets in her DC townhome....and she constantly worries about being fired because they have ZERO savings, she's pulling in 130k/yr, her husband is a GS 14 so probably in the same area.

CW1: So we looked at the weather and it's been raining a lot in Fez, and I realized I don't have a good rain + coat, I have a raincoat, but it's not super heavy, and I have 2 regular coats I bought for the trip, but I don't have a Rain + coat
Me:  Couldn't you just put your raincoat over your regular coat?
CW1:  *giving me what the fuck face*  Uh no....that would look weird as heck!
Me:  So you are going to go buy a rain resistant heavy coat, in case it rains the week you are there?
CW1:  OH!  I bought it last night, it was on sale for only $140 from 200!!  I got a great deal on it. 
Me:  Didn't you already buy a ton of clothes for this trip?
CW1:  Oh not a ton, I've only spent like 1200 dollars.

She's going to Morocco....for a week....and she already has FOUR closets of clothes and shoes.

The good thing is that her and her hubby can retire at a relatively early age with full retirement benefits and then he can get a job doing the same thing for more pay as a civilian consultant.
But they have to live in DC.  And the craziness.  And fight the traffic. 

I lived there when I was in my 20's, a few of my friends stayed after their military time and transitioned to government GS13/ (14/15 whatever) levels.  But they commute an hour each way.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #5360 on: November 15, 2014, 12:32:01 AM »
Can I bitch about something not money related?

Coworker is upset because her dog is missing.  Fair enough.  Except:

1.  Dog has run away before.
2.  Dog was not on a leash or in a fence; they just let it go outside freely (which is illegal where I live, not to mention stupid anywhere).
3.  Dog is not neutered (it's 3 years old; this should have been done 2 1/2 years ago).
4.  Dog is trained/disciplined by "popping," which I assume means she just hits it when it doesn't do what she wants.

I'm biting my tongue so hard right now.  OF COURSE your damn dog ran away.  You didn't train it, it's not fixed so it's more prone to wandering off, it's done this before, and you just.... let it go, no leash, no supervision, etc?  This is your fault, not the dog's.  Dog is just being a dog.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5361 on: November 15, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
MOD NOTE: The joke is crude, but we are not in the habit of censoring things or people just because they arecrude or can be offensive.

As far as all the foam/box color/etc. stuff - it does seem worse than normal in terms of off topic.  Please refrain from posting stuff about foam or boxes just to be annoying or make a point.  If the thread gets off topic, doing those things don't help it get back on topic.  Just ignore the thread until someone posts a relevant work anecdote and it's back OT.

Thanks.

First, if someone actually reported anything, that's ridiculous.
Second, I kind of want to push back just by seeing this. I loved someones post above talking about personal accountability and ignoring things they don't like. Complaining doesn't help.
3rd, my co-worker and I were talking about people who are in our jobs and work 60+ every single week. We both understand that there's sometimes a need for it (project based most likely), but it should be the exception. He said "I really don't need the money so bad where I'm going to work like that." He also paid of the last of his student loans because we were talking about them. He had forgotten it and then figured, why the hell not just pay it off at his desk. I gave him a high five.

pistachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5362 on: November 15, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
My coworker said that tuition costs and books are killing her. She goes to a community college trying to get her bachelors. I said that at least she gets some of the money back with our company's tuition reimbursement so she would only have to front the money. She says she doesn't bother with the tuition reimbursement because she'd have to pay it all back if she left the company before the end of the year. That's not how the tuition reimbursement works - the company pays for 80% and the degree just has to be a manager approved field of study and you have to make at least a C. Also, she's been with the company for three years and in school since she started. I just nodded and told her she knows best and changed the subject.

Same coworker took out a 401k loan to pay for her father's funeral. Afterwards, she found out that her brother has $60k in his 401k that he wouldn't take a loan from to help pay for the funeral too. She referred to his $60k as a mountain of money that he's sitting on. Coworker is 38 and her brother is in his 40s.

Job stability has been bad at our company and we've had 3 large layoffs in the last year and yet that same coworker keeps saying she hopes that she'll be laid off because she doesn't really need the job because her and her husband have plenty of money so she doesn't really need to work. Then why did she have to take out a 401k loan?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5363 on: November 15, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »

MOD NOTE: The joke is crude, but we are not in the habit of censoring things or people just because they arecrude or can be offensive.

As far as all the foam/box color/etc. stuff - it does seem worse than normal in terms of off topic.  Please refrain from posting stuff about foam or boxes just to be annoying or make a point.  If the thread gets off topic, doing those things don't help it get back on topic.  Just ignore the thread until someone posts a relevant work anecdote and it's back OT.

Thanks.

Second, I kind of want to push back just by seeing this. I loved someones post above talking about personal accountability and ignoring things they don't like. Complaining doesn't help.

I completely agree. In fact, I bolded the part where you quoted me saying the same thing. I don't know that would require pushback.

It requires personal accountability on everyone's part: the people posting OT stuff to get back on track (going OT is fine - purposefully being OT just to be annoying isn't) and the people annoyed by the OT stuff to pass by it and not post stupid "foam" stuff and the people annoyed by the foam stuff to ignore that and so on and so forth.

It takes both sides acting like children, and if either decides to take personal accountability, as you put it, and be the bigger person, the annoying cycle stops. We go OT, then back on. Then off, and on. And it's fine. No need to bicker or be annoyed about being OT, and no need to purposefully go OT to annoy those people to prove a point.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5364 on: November 16, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »

I am assuming it all goes toward this new start up, some Hawaiian vacation and silly stuff like eating out all the time because they are so tired and can't cook, she is actually a great cook, but when you are always running around, I get the sentiment, even if it isn't true.

It's sad, they are going to look back on these earning years and be mad for not using it well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5365 on: November 16, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

I am assuming it all goes toward this new start up, some Hawaiian vacation and silly stuff like eating out all the time because they are so tired and can't cook, she is actually a great cook, but when you are always running around, I get the sentiment, even if it isn't true.

It's sad, they are going to look back on these earning years and be mad for not using it well.
When we bought our house we cleaned out our 1/2 garage before we moved, because our house doesn't have a garage.  So, purging.  I found a CC statement from  my single days in DC in my early/mid 20's.

O.M.G.  My bill was easily $1000-$1300 a month, almost ALL of it eating out.

I was a few years into my frugal lifestyle when I found it.  Just about passed out.  If only I'd learned to cook a decade earlier.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5366 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »

2.  Dog was not on a leash or in a fence; they just let it go outside freely (which is illegal where I live, not to mention stupid anywhere).
3.  Dog is not neutered (it's 3 years old; this should have been done 2 1/2 years ago).
4.  Dog is trained/disciplined by "popping," which I assume means she just hits it when it doesn't do what she wants.

I'm biting my tongue so hard right now.  OF COURSE your damn dog ran away.  You didn't train it, it's not fixed so it's more prone to wandering off, it's done this before, and you just.... let it go, no leash, no supervision, etc?  This is your fault, not the dog's.  Dog is just being a dog.

wow. that is a pretty unreal level of stupid.

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5367 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »

Is it possible that she meant "click" training (some might call it popping)?

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/clicker-training-your-pet

Either way: yes, her fault.  Surely this can't be surprising?! 

To the title of the thread: many years ago, I worked at a small company that would furnish lunch every Friday. They also provided brewed Starbucks coffee and almost any drink you could think of. I had a co-worker who would go out for brewed Starbucks coffee (not espresso) almost every day because "the coffee isn't freshly brewed." Likewise,he would order and pick up lunch on Fridays because he didn't want whatever was ordered that day. 

The irony? He could have brewed a pot of coffee whenever he wanted, and he could have asked the lunch ordering people to order something different.  He was too lazy to do either, and admitted as much.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5368 on: November 17, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
I had a co-worker who would go out for brewed Starbucks coffee (not espresso) almost every day because "the coffee isn't freshly brewed." Likewise,he would order and pick up lunch on Fridays because he didn't want whatever was ordered that day. 

I don't think I could work with this person. I would inevitably do or say something far too rude.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #5369 on: November 17, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »

Is it possible that she meant "click" training (some might call it popping)?

Unfortunately, no.  She said something along the lines of "I smack him when he acts up, he gets popped."  I don't remember her exact words, but it was pretty clear what she meant.  Reactionary "discipline" that teaches the dog NOTHING.  Not that it matters, bc a dog who is free to run is going to run, especially if said dog is young and unaltered.

Good news (at least for her): they did find the dog.  I doubt she'll change anything, though.

OH, and it gets better!  Once when the dog ran off, they found it swiming in the river by their house.... which is also home to alligators.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5370 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
One of my CW can't make a sentence without the "B" word (bought this, bought that, will buy etc)

Not 100% of the time, she only take a pause and tell us what she will do when she get rich...

I'm on mute, facepalm myself inside my mind, thinking "you will never get rich, you buy so much shit !"

The reason I dont say a word is because she is divorced and every time she bitch her ex, the bitching is about something that make me think this guy was a kind of Mustachian, so...

What's the point doing so much "activities" with 3-5 years old kids ? I have 2 (7 and 11) and we probably have 1/10 of those "organized/corporate/$$ activities" compared to her and we are perfectly happy.

She's completely brainwashed, nothing to do !

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5371 on: November 18, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
My coworker told me he is looking into declaring bankruptcy.  He had some specific questions for me about how that might (or might not) affect his background check/security level, so I referred him to someone in our administration who is known as a discreet person who will give him answers without gossiping. 

I know how much he makes because we are all on the same pay scale, and although he makes less than I do, it's not a lot less.  His rent is about half of my house payment, which just about makes up for the difference.  He went through a divorce a couple of years ago and maybe there are leftover debts (the spouse was an alcoholic).  But he also went on a great vacation earlier this year to an overseas location, where things are known to be "cheap" but geez, you gotta get there, and I know there were hotels and such. 

I don't want to judge him because this is someone who I really, really like and respect professionally-- but at the same time, I want to shake my coworker and say "you have a HUGE income compared to most people in this town, and you have CHEAP housing compared to the same-- how could you be so broke?" 

Sorry, this didn't turn out very funny.  I have a sad about it. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5372 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »
Oh, another one about CW

This is a more sensible case about a really brave, nice and generous lady.

In the 50's, divorced, 1 kid.

Big mortgage (5x annual income), bring 35K$ gross/year

Health problems (psoriasis caused by stress) etc. Diabete and cholesterol also I think...

We are commuting together and save traffic jam (2+people/car, buses and cabs lane), saving 5,000km/year and 2,000$/year doing this.

Budget is VERY thight and she told me she plan to facelift her bathroom for 2k$ soon. Nooooo ! This bathroom is ok actualy, paint & deco for max 100$, that's it ! Sit on the facelift project for at least 10 years, maybe more.

I told her last year to buy a 5k$ Yaris at the end of last car rental (hatchback Yaris). Noway, she just rent a brand new Corolla for 4 years :(

She told me: "I can't buy a 5k$ car, I'm to tight on my budget, I cannot finance 5k$ @ good rate and/or afford repairs, so I decided to go safe" so sad...

I cannot facepunch, I don't want her to be sad or mad so I keep to tell good advices but not being rude in any way.

footnote

We start a contest many 3 years ago with CW.The winner is the last one to change is car. We are 12 at work, 3 peoples remaining in the contest. Everyone else bought/lease new car since then ! I'm the 2nd highest salary here but 10th considering my car value (3nd last). I give you a hint, I will win this in an easy way, I drive a 2006 Civic with 125K miles. Brand new considering MMM standards !

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #5373 on: November 18, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
A coworker of mine constantly complains about not having enough money. He makes between $120k-130k (pads his time with OT) AND has a military pension. He just accepted a short-term overseas assignment with special pay due to location, and pulled up to his going-away party in a brand new 2015 car (leaving out make/model for identifying purposes) that cost in the vicinity of $40k. This is the same guy who complained bitterly to anyone who would listen (including the person in the office who makes less than 1/2 his salary) that he couldn't financially absorb the 6 days of furlough required last year. All I can say is I hope all his clearances go through since he's apparently already spent the extra pay.

/headdesk

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5374 on: November 18, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
Got another gem this morning.  Context: coworker is heading to Morocco on vacation in a week, last week she was thinking of getting a bigger house because her clothes have filled all FOUR of her closets in her DC townhome....and she constantly worries about being fired because they have ZERO savings, she's pulling in 130k/yr, her husband is a GS 14 so probably in the same area.

CW1: So we looked at the weather and it's been raining a lot in Fez, and I realized I don't have a good rain + coat, I have a raincoat, but it's not super heavy, and I have 2 regular coats I bought for the trip, but I don't have a Rain + coat
Me:  So you are going to go buy a rain resistant heavy coat, in case it rains the week you are there?
CW1:  OH!  I bought it last night, it was on sale for only $140 from 200!!  I got a great deal on it. 

She's going to Morocco....for a week....and she already has FOUR closets of clothes and shoes.

FACEPUNCH! FACEPUNCH! FACEPUNCH!   So an update to this.  Said rain+coat didn't fit, so she bought a new one, expedited shipping, for 400 dollars.  Then spent 2 hours today in the middle of the office (we don't have cubes or offices, it's a totally open floorplan) calling every USPS number she could find, and harassing our building mail man.  Why you ask? Because if the one that doesn't fit isn't returned to the seller, and credited back to her card, she's going go over her credit card limit and get hit with a fee when the new one ships.  She mailed the coat back out yesterday at 7 pm...by 9 am today she wanted to know why it wasn't delivered (same state) and hadn't been updated in her tracking number.

She followed this statement up by complaining that her husband made her clean out a closet and a couple of drawers so his parents (who are house sitting/touristing while they are gone) can have a place to put stuff.  She didn't seem to think this was a "fair" request....

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5375 on: November 19, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »

FACEPUNCH! FACEPUNCH! FACEPUNCH!   So an update to this.  Said rain+coat didn't fit, so she bought a new one, expedited shipping, for 400 dollars.  Then spent 2 hours today in the middle of the office (we don't have cubes or offices, it's a totally open floorplan) calling every USPS number she could find, and harassing our building mail man.  Why you ask? Because if the one that doesn't fit isn't returned to the seller, and credited back to her card, she's going go over her credit card limit and get hit with a fee when the new one ships.  She mailed the coat back out yesterday at 7 pm...by 9 am today she wanted to know why it wasn't delivered (same state) and hadn't been updated in her tracking number.

She followed this statement up by complaining that her husband made her clean out a closet and a couple of drawers so his parents (who are house sitting/touristing while they are gone) can have a place to put stuff.  She didn't seem to think this was a "fair" request....

How do you guys put up with these kind of co-workers? Mine are so much more reasonable. Not perfect or anything, but not CRAZY. Maybe I just haven't gotten to be here long enough though.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5376 on: November 19, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »

How do you guys put up with these kind of co-workers? Mine are so much more reasonable. Not perfect or anything, but not CRAZY. Maybe I just haven't gotten to be here long enough though.

I know!!! None of mine are that bad either.

We had a meeting about benefits yesterday and our main financial adviser guy said that 15% of employees here don't contribute to their 401K. I can't decide if this is bad or not. On the one hand, 85% participation sounds pretty good. On the other hand, we have an incredibly generous match (8%!), and most people here make very good money, even on the lower end of the pay scale, so I feel like we should have 100% participation.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5377 on: November 19, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »

One word...heaphones, it's the only way I make it through the day, unfortunately she is LOUD, and sits two feet away from me, so I get to look and listen to her all day, even with headphones in.  Headphones drown out the rest of the idiots usually.  She is by FAR the worst co worker I've ever had financially...she even beat out the last number 1...the guy who bought new vehicles every six months (particularly dirt bikes and motorcycles, but there were a few beamers in there as well) all while making 60k or under a year.

It literally takes most of my reserve to not punch her in the face on a daily basis, she name drops chefs from trendy DC restaurants that she's getting to know personally since they eat there so much, she's paid to have a 900lb custom made piece of furniture shipped across the country (shipping was a grand, I don't even know the cost of said furniture), she lets her bernie madoff style "friend" manage her parents small (and i mean like 5k left) retirement account, and she has at least 5 boxes a week of crap she bought shipped to the office.

The worst part of it all is her parents were the same way, they "spared" no expense raising her and having fun (think NY elite private schools etc) and now they are literally lingering near death with MASSIVE health issues that have incapacitated them and can't afford their medicines, FOOD, HOA fees etc.  She's said they are in the hock to various hospitals/creditors/banks well into the six figure range.  And she says she "just doesn't know how it happened to them".  All they have is their NY condo which is paid off (with many liens I imagine), and she pays their HOA fees so that they don't come live with her.  I've tried pointing out that she's going to end up in the same boat potentially if she doesn't change but she doesn't listen.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5378 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
If I were Moderator, I would be giving everyone with certain off-topic posts (re: foam, boxes) temporary bans, and then deleting those posts (or moving them to some "trash thread" somewhere).

So be glad I'm not a Moderator, jackasses.

Thankfully, its not a hard-and-fast rule (calling "foam" as we sees 'em).  However, your last word does seem like you are taking it rather hard...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5379 on: November 19, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
Having been a mod here, an admin there, a developer elsewhere... volunteer jobs with power tend to attract those who have none in their lives. A laissez-faire approach tends to be best and the mods here are pretty good at that.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5380 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
Having been a mod here, an admin there, a developer elsewhere... volunteer jobs with power tend to attract those who have none in their lives. A laissez-faire approach tends to be best and the mods here are pretty good at that.

This is the only message board i've been on that doesn't have power crazed nazi mods.  I've only been here a short while though, so maybe I missed something, or maybe they will in the future, but so far so good.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5381 on: November 19, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »

This is the only message board i've been on that doesn't have power crazed nazi mods.  I've only been here a short while though, so maybe I missed something, or maybe they will in the future, but so far so good.

We're just biding our time, sucking you in... 

Just kidding.

I've literally quit a hobby that I used to travel for and spend hundreds of dollars a year on because of the moderating on their forums.  So it won't happen while I'm here.

If and when MMM sells the site to corporate, I imagine quite a bit would change, including forum moderation.

Plus the MMM community is so awesome very little moderation is needed.  Unfortunately there are a few * that do like to piss in the punchbowl, and it's frustrating not being sure the best way to handle those people without being biased.  Off topic discussion = fine.  Disagreeing opinions = awesome.   Being a * to other people for no reason, no.

/shrug

jordanread

« Reply #5382 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
Unfortunately there are a few * that do like to piss in the punchbowl, and it's frustrating not being sure the best way to handle those people without being biased.  Off topic discussion = fine.  Disagreeing opinions = awesome.   Being a * to other people for no reason, no.

/shrug

Oh man, I fucking hate asterisks.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5383 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
Here's a doozy -

My young co-worker (24) and I were talking, I don't even remember the context, but I mentioned something about earning interest on my bank account.  I have a very good rate with a local bank, 3.25% APY, so atypical, I know.  She'd never heard of earning interest on a bank balance.  Like, the concept was so completely foreign to her, I had to explain it slowly, and she was in complete disbelief. 

It gets worse. 

She said, my bank charges me to keep money in my savings account.  A "maintenance fee."  I told her some banks do have fees attached, and that she's probably better off switching banks.  She said that yeah, that $48/month was really cutting into her trying to save, when she is only able to save $50/paycheck.

HOLY WTF??!  I then said you HAVE to change banks, that is BEYOND insane.  She honest to god thought that was just something everybody paid for the privilege of having a savings account.  Completely clueless.  50% of her savings going down the drain and it never even occurred to her that that might not be normal.

A few days later, I asked if she's done anything about switching banks yet, and she said she'd called her bank, and asked about the fee, and they apologized, saying there'd been some kind of mistake, (it should only be a $2/month fee or something).  So they refunded her 10 months worth of fees, plus gave her a $100 to make up for "the inconvenience." 

I told her to take the $100 and still switch banks, because she shouldn't be paying anything!  I told her where I bank, and my interest rate, but that if it's not a convenient place for her, she should at least look for someplace that doesn't charge anything.  Sadly, I don't think she will.

But geez, this poor girl was getting robbed and had no idea.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5384 on: November 20, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »
Here's a doozy -

My young co-worker (24) and I were talking, I don't even remember the context, but I mentioned something about earning interest on my bank account.  I have a very good rate with a local bank, 3.25% APY, so atypical, I know.  She'd never heard of earning interest on a bank balance.  Like, the concept was so completely foreign to her, I had to explain it slowly, and she was in complete disbelief. 

It gets worse. 

She said, my bank charges me to keep money in my savings account.  A "maintenance fee."  I told her some banks do have fees attached, and that she's probably better off switching banks.  She said that yeah, that $48/month was really cutting into her trying to save, when she is only able to save $50/paycheck.

HOLY WTF??!  I then said you HAVE to change banks, that is BEYOND insane.  She honest to god thought that was just something everybody paid for the privilege of having a savings account.  Completely clueless.  50% of her savings going down the drain and it never even occurred to her that that might not be normal.

A few days later, I asked if she's done anything about switching banks yet, and she said she'd called her bank, and asked about the fee, and they apologized, saying there'd been some kind of mistake, (it should only be a $2/month fee or something).  So they refunded her 10 months worth of fees, plus gave her a $100 to make up for "the inconvenience." 

I told her to take the $100 and still switch banks, because she shouldn't be paying anything!  I told her where I bank, and my interest rate, but that if it's not a convenient place for her, she should at least look for someplace that doesn't charge anything.  Sadly, I don't think she will.

I think my head just exploded

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5385 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
Here's a doozy -

It gets worse. 

Wait for it... here's the best part...

She's my company's accounts payable person.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5386 on: November 20, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
She'd never heard of earning interest on a bank balance.  Like, the concept was so completely foreign to her, I had to explain it slowly, and she was in complete disbelief.

If the past five years was all I knew, I'd think it was foreign too. Way, way back, Paul Terhost in Cashing In On The American Dream wrote about living off the interest on bank CDs in retirement. Heck, when I first had money awareness in the 1990s, I took it for granted that we could get around 6% on money market funds without trying very hard.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5387 on: November 20, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
Here's a doozy -

It gets worse. 

Wait for it... here's the best part...

She's my company's accounts payable person.

Why is it that professionals can't manage their own money, or even budget or understand simple banking terms?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5388 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
Unfortunately there are a few * that do like to piss in the punchbowl, and it's frustrating not being sure the best way to handle those people without being biased.  Off topic discussion = fine.  Disagreeing opinions = awesome.   Being a * to other people for no reason, no.

/shrug

I always liked the plucky little Gaul.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5389 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »

/shrug

I always liked the plucky little Gaul.

The sheer gaul of that guy.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5390 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
I've only been here a short while though

1000+ post count, short while. Checks out.

/shrinks

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #5391 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »
This is not exactly overheard, more observed. I take my lunch with me to work pretty much every day. There are a couple of young guys whose mum or fiance pack their lunches, and an older guy who has restricted diabetes type lunches, we've become friendly through the daily chats while we heat up our meals. Everyone else in our 30 or so person office goes out to eat, every day. So usually the fridge is pretty empty. Today I noticed there were loads of lunches in there, at least 10, probably more. I was a bit puzzled, until I realised - we've recently switched from fortnightly to monthly pay runs, and pay day is next week. So it looks like a lot of the guys have blown the budget in the first 3 weeks and are now running short for their daily maccas / fancy sandwich / whatever other crap they buy runs. Mentioned my hypothesis to one of the guys, and he agreed that was why he was bringing lunch. To be fair, it is basically like missing a whole pay packet, so I can see cash flow being an issue, but we did get 3 or 4 months warning.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5392 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »

Yeah, on it's own, this isn't too surprising. She simply hasn't been alive and saving at a time when interest-bearing bank accounts were a normal thing. Which is why she's lucky to have an "old person" like you to give perspective and explain that things have not always been this way, and likely will not continue this way indefinitely.

A couple of other important examples where current-conditions can effect (have effected) behavior, even among Mustachians, in eras where those conditions no longer apply:
  • a significant part of the cultural interest in dividend-producing stocks today is a holdover from an era when trading fees were much higher than they are now, so dividends were the only low-cost way to generate income from investments. Dividend investors are like your 24-year-old who just never heard that now you can sell shares to achieve the same income.
  • I predict that 72(t)/SEPP will be an underused method to tap tax-deferred access in the future, simply because, due to the currently-low interest rates, a generation of Mustachians is developing their plans while hearing little about it (with the Roth pipeline method getting the lion's share of the chatter). Yeah, 72(t)/SEPP doesn't make sense right now, but it may make a lot of sense in the future.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5393 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

Yeah, on it's own, this isn't too surprising. She simply hasn't been alive and saving at a time when interest-bearing bank accounts were a normal thing. Which is why she's lucky to have an "old person" like you to give perspective and explain that things have not always been this way, and likely will not continue this way indefinitely.

A couple of other important examples where current-conditions can effect (have effected) behavior, even among Mustachians, in eras where those conditions no longer apply:
  • a significant part of the cultural interest in dividend-producing stocks today is a holdover from an era when trading fees were much higher than they are now, so dividends were the only low-cost way to generate income from investments. Dividend investors are like your 24-year-old who just never heard that now you can sell shares to achieve the same income.
  • I predict that 72(t)/SEPP will be an underused method to tap tax-deferred access in the future, simply because, due to the currently-low interest rates, a generation of Mustachians is developing their plans while hearing little about it (with the Roth pipeline method getting the lion's share of the chatter). Yeah, 72(t)/SEPP doesn't make sense right now, but it may make a lot of sense in the future.

Heh... I'm 31 :P

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5394 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
It really doesn't help that the bay is... diagonal. Oh well. We all know how it works.

Yeah, caught me in the middle of an edit, but I honestly had no idea how it worked as a child.

geography is so funny. in the Twin Cities there's a suburb called West St. Paul, but it's actually south of St. Paul (although there's also a South St. Paul, southeast of West St. Paul), because west of St. Paul would be... Minneapolis.

Being from the eastern suburbs, I really hate that whole thing. Now, as a resident of St. Paul, my bigger pet peeve is somewhat more insane: within the city of St. Paul, there is a neighborhood called "the West Side". This is the SOUTHEAST side. I actually live on the western side of the city, and I have no way of describing where I live. Most people don't know the actual neighborhood names (Union Park represent!), so I'm typically stuck with "Near [college]" or "about equidistant from the two downtowns", depending on how familiar the asker is with MSP geography.

okay I realize this is a week later and off-topic, but I just saw this comment again and realized I had no idea where Union Park was despite 21 years in the St. Paul area. so I looked it up on Google Maps and am I losing my mind or did that used to be called Merriam Park?? I went to St. Thomas so I lived in that 'hood for four years. great area.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5395 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Heh... I'm 31 :P

Yep, doesn't take much to make us old these days! When you were her age, the average rate on a 6-month CD was nearly 4%. Now it's 0.15%. Pretty extreme change in that time. Make sure you angrily shake your cane whenever you dodder past a bank with no-interest accounts!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5396 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
And tell her to keep off yer damn lawn.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5397 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
I predict that 72(t)/SEPP will be an underused method to tap tax-deferred access in the future, simply because, due to the currently-low interest rates, a generation of Mustachians is developing their plans while hearing little about it (with the Roth pipeline method getting the lion's share of the chatter). Yeah, 72(t)/SEPP doesn't make sense right now, but it may make a lot of sense in the future.

Are you saying that with interest rates so low it's artificially reducing the maximum amount you can draw annually on the SEPP? So if/when interest rates increase so do the SEPP distributions?

That's good I guess, but I think I still like the Roth Pipeline better since it provides flexibility to manipulate taxable income as long as you don't have major cash flow needs. Although I don't see why you couldn't do both.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #5398 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
Co-worker was telling me about a (pretty gruesome) eye procedure she's having next weekend. Afterwards she can't read or watch TV for a few hours so doesn't know what to do.

Me - How about an audio book?

CW - No, I'm getting hubby to take me out for a champagne breakfast.

Me -.............. thinks - "ah, I know where I can recount this" :)

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #5399 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
I don't know...a gruesome eye procedure could easily warrant a champagne breakfast in my book, if you're up to going out at all.