Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253621 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5250 on: November 10, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »
This wasn't overheard at work, but observed in our neighborhood. 

I had been noticing as we walk around the neighborhood in the afternoons, that a bunch if people in our 'hood have their older fridge in their garage.  I get a bit disgusted about it, such a waste of electricity, and how much fresh food storage could one family possibly need? 

At least it is families, though.  We visited my FIL this weekend, who lives alone.  One man, and he has two full size fridges.  One mostly full of his food, the other almost empty with a few beverages and not much else. 

The whole weekend I was thinking about what a fountain of wastefulness the average American is.

I completely agree with you but there is some exceptions, I think.

We bought a second (small) fridge to save time (efficiency) and exessive grocery comute (bike or car). This small one's purpose is to store lunches (lunch box ready overnight, family of 4), deals on yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. We  also use it to marinade meats, make some big batches of desserts or other plates in advance. It keep all kind of beverages fresh and available anytime we need it etc. Electricity cost probably arround 20$/year according to Energystar sticker, maybe less since this appliance is in a cold space of my basement. At the end, I'm not 100% sure but I think we are ahead...

If you are ever in HomeDepot and feel the need to spend 15$ on a new toy a plug in energy meter is sort of fun to have around.  I used one to learn that my normal 8+ year old fridge uses about 10$ in power per month.  And the last old school light bulb I was using used 75watts-just like it said on the package.  How much could your computer going into sleep mode after 20 min vs never save you?  Well now you can find out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5251 on: November 10, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
This wasn't overheard at work, but observed in our neighborhood. 

I had been noticing as we walk around the neighborhood in the afternoons, that a bunch if people in our 'hood have their older fridge in their garage.  I get a bit disgusted about it, such a waste of electricity, and how much fresh food storage could one family possibly need? 

At least it is families, though.  We visited my FIL this weekend, who lives alone.  One man, and he has two full size fridges.  One mostly full of his food, the other almost empty with a few beverages and not much else. 

The whole weekend I was thinking about what a fountain of wastefulness the average American is.

I completely agree with you but there is some exceptions, I think.

We bought a second (small) fridge to save time (efficiency) and exessive grocery comute (bike or car). This small one's purpose is to store lunches (lunch box ready overnight, family of 4), deals on yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. We  also use it to marinade meats, make some big batches of desserts or other plates in advance. It keep all kind of beverages fresh and available anytime we need it etc. Electricity cost probably arround 20$/year according to Energystar sticker, maybe less since this appliance is in a cold space of my basement. At the end, I'm not 100% sure but I think we are ahead...

If you are ever in HomeDepot and feel the need to spend 15$ on a new toy a plug in energy meter is sort of fun to have around.  I used one to learn that my normal 8+ year old fridge uses about 10$ in power per month.  And the last old school light bulb I was using used 75watts-just like it said on the package.  How much could your computer going into sleep mode after 20 min vs never save you?  Well now you can find out.

Many public libraries have those devices (Kill-a-Watt meters) available for checkout.  No need to pay for one.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5252 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Many public libraries have those devices (Kill-a-Watt meters) available for checkout.  No need to pay for one.

Whaaaaaat

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5253 on: November 10, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Had a conversation with a coworker today about the FIRE concept and our plan to retire in 5ish years.   I got asked who I was sleeping with in the office that they paid me enough to save what we are saving....I think the entire "cutting costs" conversation went over his head.  I sadly kept my you chauvinistic asshat comment to myself

fuzzhead1506

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5254 on: November 10, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
coworker was commenting how she thought she was gonna win the lottery the other day - i told her that the lottery was a tax on mathematically inept people, and she then retorted "well, it is either: lose my money in the lottery, or put it into a 401(k) and loose it to Wall Street"   

SMDH

not by a long shot the first conversation i have had with this person about money/investing/spending habits...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5255 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:25 PM »

Whaaaaaat

They've also got these old-timey things where you read words on physical paper.  I think they're called "borks"

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #5256 on: November 10, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
coworker was commenting how she thought she was gonna win the lottery the other day - i told her that the lottery was a tax on mathematically inept people, and she then retorted "well, it is either: lose my money in the lottery, or put it into a 401(k) and loose it to Wall Street"   

SMDH

not by a long shot the first conversation i have had with this person about money/investing/spending habits...
Keep at it. I work with engineers and scientists and after having a bunch of puzzled looks about finance and investing, I have gotten the label as investing guy. I have peaked a couple of people's interest in savings even though they still don't totally get it, but there is hope.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5257 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
Many years ago when we visited DH's parents on their farm they had, I kid you not, 12 refrigerators and freezers. This is no exaggeration, I went around counting them. DH would not agree with my count, yet, I counted multiple times and that's how many I found.  There were just two people in their household. These units were all over the kitchen, back porch, pantry, garages (they've got a 4 car garage) as well as in the basement. I mean, this is something that The Duggars would have, ya know?!!!

But they did a lot of butchering cows and pigs and sent on that meat to their 5 children. Then, they had a huge garden including acres of sweet corn. This particular year they had a large number of refrigerators & freezers because they were buying them up for their kids. Normally, I think they had around 6 -7 refrigeration or freezer units.

So now DH, here in our urban environment, replicates that because that is normal to him. We've got a chest freezer in the basement for meats and misc other things from the garden. We freeze a lot of garden produce. Then, he has an extra refrigerator for the fall crops and it's full of apples right now and apple cider. Meanwhile, our basement is full of 5 gallon buckets of onions, carrots, squashes. And the pumpkins, oh! the pumpkins! He gave many away to kids in the neighborhood, but we still have about 4 left.

There are just the 2 of us here. DH has huge vegetables gardens all over the place. And to be frank I have thought about buying my own extra refrigerator to keep in the basement to store lily bulbs over the winter. Actually, I DID have an extra fridge for a while, one that DH found in t he alley and he fixed it. It ran for 2 years, then went kaput. When one does flower shows and bulb gardening, 'fridges are nice.

I'm sure our family's habits are driving some of you crazy.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:03:28 PM by iris lily »

Amanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5258 on: November 10, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
The advantage of living in New England is that when Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, you can just use the garage as a massive spare refrigerator.

My god, how did all of humanity manage to not die of food poisoning before 1950?

My understanding is that a lot of people died, not just from food poisoning, but from stomach cancers caused by eating poorly preserved and stored food. Refrigeration has eliminated much of the need for fermented foods and thus has seriously reduced mouth and throat cancers.

Not to say that the overuse being discussed isn't utterly ridiculous, but refrigeration has been a boon to humanity!

EricL

« Reply #5259 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »
I've heard serial killers like lots or refrigerators to keep bodies (for consumption if cannnibals) or piecemeal disposal. I'd be careful of being to obviously critical of any acquaintances with excessive refrigerators 

Foam.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5260 on: November 11, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
I've been reading this thread with great amusement for some time now, and finally overheard something today at work that is post-worthy.

Co-worker was talking about her house renovations and how helpful the people at Home Depot were with the design of the new kitchen. They were so helpful, in fact, that they even told her if she spent $300 more, she could get all her kitchen cabinet handles for free! So, they did.

/facepalm

Literally bought cabinet handles from home depot the other day. The most expensive ones were in the $3-5 range. So let's say $5, and roughly 20 cabinet doors (I aimed on the high end compared to our kitchen), and that's $100. She done got hosed.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5261 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:12 AM »
The advantage of living in New England is that when Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, you can just use the garage as a massive spare refrigerator.

My god, how did all of humanity manage to not die of food poisoning before 1950?

My understanding is that a lot of people died, not just from food poisoning, but from stomach cancers caused by eating poorly preserved and stored food. Refrigeration has eliminated much of the need for fermented foods and thus has seriously reduced mouth and throat cancers.

Not to say that the overuse being discussed isn't utterly ridiculous, but refrigeration has been a boon to humanity!

We've replaced the food poisoning deaths with traffic accident deaths.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #5262 on: November 11, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »
Heard yesterday:
"I found a great deal on a new Pathfinder... listed for $63K, got like $5K off! What a deal!"

Also found out this morning they're cutting hourly wage people (including me) from 45 hours to 40 hours indefinitely. This cuts about $600 a month of overtime out of my budget. I was already putting an extra $500 a month on my mortgage! So will just have to watch what I spend, I'll be fine. The other folks.... not so much.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5263 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »
I've been reading this thread with great amusement for some time now, and finally overheard something today at work that is post-worthy.

Co-worker was talking about her house renovations and how helpful the people at Home Depot were with the design of the new kitchen. They were so helpful, in fact, that they even told her if she spent $300 more, she could get all her kitchen cabinet handles for free! So, they did.

/facepalm

Literally bought cabinet handles from home depot the other day. The most expensive ones were in the $3-5 range. So let's say $5, and roughly 20 cabinet doors (I aimed on the high end compared to our kitchen), and that's $100. She done got hosed.

Well we are even MORE mustache-an , so there! We have no handles! haha.

When DH made our kitchen cabinets he made them with finger pulls, a carved out section at the bottom of each drawer and on the lower side of each cabinet door. I love these because it makes the doors and drawers so much easier to clean. With handles, gunk settles around them and it is a PITA. My cleaning routine is made simple by lack of handles. Note that our kitchen cabinets are painted white, so I do have to clean them regularly, white gets dirty easily.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:49:25 AM by iris lily »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5264 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:20 AM »
Heard yesterday:
"I found a great deal on a new Pathfinder... listed for $63K, got like $5K off! What a deal!"

What!? The Pathfinder starts at $29.5k. How did they find one listed for $63k? I tried ticking every option box on Nissan's online configurator and could only get it up to around $46k...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5265 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:10 AM »
Heard yesterday:

What!? The Pathfinder starts at $29.5k. How did they find one listed for $63k? I tried ticking every option box on Nissan's online configurator and could only get it up to around $46k...

It must come with a black box. That or the poster either meant to write 36k or the person seriously got hosed.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5266 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
Heard yesterday:

It must come with a black box. That or the poster either meant to write 36k or the person seriously got hosed.

Do you know that black boxes are actually orange and sometimes red or yellow? 

red7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5267 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
Heard yesterday:

I love foam. :)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5268 on: November 11, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
Heard yesterday:

Or could it possibly be in foreign dollars, i.e., not USD?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5269 on: November 11, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
Heard yesterday:

Or could it possibly be in foreign dollars, i.e., not USD?

Poster lives in Louisiana, so that seems unlikely

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #5270 on: November 11, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
Heard yesterday:

I tried to take an Infiniti QX60, which is just a fancier rebadged Pathfinder and couldn't even get it break 60k, only 59 and change.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5271 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
The boss became tired of the bitching and he stopped the program.

I worked at a company that for every November (for Thanksgiving) you were given your choice of a free turkey or a $20 gift card.  People who asked for the turkey were complaining the turkeys were too small, so the company just decided to stop the program.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #5272 on: November 11, 2014, 12:06:56 PM »

/facepalm

The 300.00 more for a dedicated trash cabinet...well, the hardware (decent, soft close variety can run around 180.00-200.00 my cost.  So I could easily justify it on my end :)

Heck, some appliance handle hardware (the kind you see on sub zeros) can run around 100.00 per handle.  Other higher end cabinet hardware can run 20-30 per piece.  But chances are, if you're spending that kind of coin on hardware, you're not getting your cabinets at HD or lowes

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5273 on: November 11, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »

I worked at a company that for every November (for Thanksgiving) you were given your choice of a free turkey or a $20 gift card.  People who asked for the turkey were complaining the turkeys were too small, so the company just decided to stop the program.

One small turkey? Where did you work, Auschwitz?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5274 on: November 11, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »

We use this example all the time when discussing our employee benefit programs. When we are considering a change, inevitably someone always says "We can't take away the turkey." This must be a well known example, but it was long before my time in management.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5275 on: November 11, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Heard yesterday:

Maybe it has the "rollin coal" package

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5276 on: November 11, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Heard yesterday:

Maybe it has the "rollin coal" package

I thought that came standard?

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #5277 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
Heard yesterday:

No, the number was right... not sure it was a Pathfinder. They were talking about several "family" vehicles (neither one have kids) and they also mentioned a Chevy Tahoe with leather.. might have been the Tahoe. But HOLY &^#$ $63K for a truck that you only drive in the city??

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #5278 on: November 11, 2014, 06:09:03 PM »
Spendthrift co-worker was at it again today. First she estimated spending $60 - $70 on Starbucks for a herself and others over several days last week. "That really adds up!" she chirped.

Next, she came in and said lunch had been ordered and was being delivered for her and her boss. Boss didn't want the box lunch so CW asked me if I wanted it.  "OF COURSE I'll take it!" I said. She laughed, patted me on the back and said she knew I'd never turn down free food. Damn right.

Little while later she and the boss come in with Jimmy Johns orders - both refused to eat the free offerings. WTF. She gave her box lunch away to my friend - a fellow mustachian who is always asking me about saving/investing.

Over lunch CW says, "I have so many bills. I'm just gonna pay them all  -don't know how or if I even have enough money - but I'm going to pay them all."

So - in sum - I ate a FREE delicious turkey sandwich on fresh baked roll with a bag of chips, snapple iced tea, and two chocolate chip cookies. So did my mustachian friend. CW thumbed her nose at the free boxed lunch and placed a $15 Jimmy Johns order while fretting over upcoming bills.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5279 on: November 11, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
55 handles in my kitchen.

You might want to get help.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #5280 on: November 11, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »

That made me literally laugh out loud and scare my cat!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5281 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
On the plus side, 55 full handles of liquor means you're almost definitely not an alcoholic.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5282 on: November 11, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
So - in sum - I ate a FREE delicious turkey sandwich on fresh baked roll with a bag of chips, snapple iced tea, and two chocolate chip cookies. So did my mustachian friend. CW thumbed her nose at the free boxed lunch and placed a $15 Jimmy Johns order while fretting over upcoming bills.

Jimmy Johns?  Over a box lunch from . . . anywhere else?  Zamboni truly does not comprehend.

Another "I'm too good for free lunch" story from just this week:
Monday a co-worker (cw1) was at an off-site training session.  Originally they had been told there would be an hour for lunch on their own, but at about 11am the trainer passed out menus from a local restaurant and said a lunch of each person's choice of sandwich or salad was on the house.  When it was time to submit the orders, another co-worker (cw2) announced that she was going to go out on her own instead because "there was nothing vegetarian on that menu."  cw1 reported that he held his tongue only because it was a training session on leading with emotional intelligence.  He thought it would be obnoxious in that setting to call her out by saying "I'm vegetarian also and there were no less than 6 options on that menu.  Did you see the tofu sandwich?  Or the grilled vegetable sandwich?  Or all of the different salads?"  (He did later recite all of those options from memory to me.)

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #5283 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »

/facepalm

I had to go count because we're talking about refinishing our cabinets and knew I had a lot.....55 handles in my kitchen. That's in addition to the 7 drawers that don't have handles. So $275 if I went with $5/ea handles and I've seen more expensive ones I like...like the $6/ea ones I saw at Menards today. Luckily for me they won't go with the color we picked out for the cabinets :)

When my husband and I bought our house 3 years ago, we replaced every single cabinet and drawer handle (kitchen + 3 bathrooms) for a grand total of $75. I didn't have the heart to tell her she got hosed. I just nodded and murmured something along the lines of, "How nice."

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5284 on: November 12, 2014, 06:38:33 AM »

I don't see a single handle of anything there.  I thought handle = half gallon?  There's a handle on pretty much all half gallons right?

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #5285 on: November 12, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »

I don't see a single handle of anything there.  I thought handle = half gallon?  There's a handle on pretty much all half gallons right?

Right... because the half-gallon bottle has a handle on it:

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5286 on: November 12, 2014, 07:38:02 AM »
I finally have something! A nearby coworker has had a morning full of gems:

In talking to some new hires: "My dad told me that I should invest in a Roth because the government is raising taxes on interest rates, so you should do that." (She's skipping out on a full match up to 5% because of what Daddy thinks about the gubmint? I suppose the bright side is that she is recommending saving for retirement.)

"My parents are kicking me out at the end of the year, because they say I need to be independent. And my dad says that rent is throwing money away, so I'm looking at a house. Here are the ones I've picked out. I need a nice bathtub, because I love baths, and I need a walkout because [town] doesn't allow grills on decks, so if I don't have a walkout, I'm just going to be grilling in my garage." (We work at an insurance company; how does she not understand potential fire hazards?!)

"I need to get at least a 3 bedroom, so I have space for my dog." (Single woman, early twenties.)

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #5287 on: November 12, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »

"I need to get at least a 3 bedroom, so I have space for my dog." (Single woman, early twenties.)

Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5288 on: November 12, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »

Dogs need their own room or 2?  I'll have to consult with my dog tonight on this... poor thing has never had his own room, much less 2 rooms.

yeah, don't tell my dog. he already has his own futon, I don't want him to get any more crazy ideas...

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5289 on: November 12, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »

yeah, don't tell my dog. he already has his own futon, I don't want him to get any more crazy ideas...

If my parent's allowed it, their dogs would sleep in whatever room they decided to sleep in. Master bedroom? Sure. Office? That's comfy. Living room couch? Plenty of space for two people and two dogs!

My cats on the other hand... let's just say I may be the one paying the rent, but I'm not fooling anyone, it's their apartment. They're graciously allowing me to stay with them.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5290 on: November 12, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
Got another gem this morning.  Context: coworker is heading to Morocco on vacation in a week, last week she was thinking of getting a bigger house because her clothes have filled all FOUR of her closets in her DC townhome....and she constantly worries about being fired because they have ZERO savings, she's pulling in 130k/yr, her husband is a GS 14 so probably in the same area.

CW1: So we looked at the weather and it's been raining a lot in Fez, and I realized I don't have a good rain + coat, I have a raincoat, but it's not super heavy, and I have 2 regular coats I bought for the trip, but I don't have a Rain + coat
Me:  Couldn't you just put your raincoat over your regular coat?
CW1:  *giving me what the fuck face*  Uh no....that would look weird as heck!
Me:  So you are going to go buy a rain resistant heavy coat, in case it rains the week you are there?
CW1:  OH!  I bought it last night, it was on sale for only $140 from 200!!  I got a great deal on it. 
Me:  Didn't you already buy a ton of clothes for this trip?
CW1:  Oh not a ton, I've only spent like 1200 dollars.

She's going to Morocco....for a week....and she already has FOUR closets of clothes and shoes.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5291 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
Got another gem this morning.  Context: coworker is heading to Morocco on vacation in a week, last week she was thinking of getting a bigger house because her clothes have filled all FOUR of her closets in her DC townhome....and she constantly worries about being fired because they have ZERO savings, she's pulling in 130k/yr, her husband is a GS 14 so probably in the same area.

CW1: So we looked at the weather and it's been raining a lot in Fez, and I realized I don't have a good rain + coat, I have a raincoat, but it's not super heavy, and I have 2 regular coats I bought for the trip, but I don't have a Rain + coat
Me:  So you are going to go buy a rain resistant heavy coat, in case it rains the week you are there?
CW1:  OH!  I bought it last night, it was on sale for only $140 from 200!!  I got a great deal on it. 

She's going to Morocco....for a week....and she already has FOUR closets of clothes and shoes.

The good thing is that her and her hubby can retire at a relatively early age with full retirement benefits and then he can get a job doing the same thing for more pay as a civilian consultant.   

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5292 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »

no joke, it would actively stress me out to have that many clothes. I have too many as it is! there's NO WAY you could actually LIKE and WEAR all of those clothes!!! it almost stresses me out just thinking about it. need to close the browser and get back to work, haha.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5293 on: November 12, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »

I'm not sure. I'd ask, but I think that'd be awkward. "Hey, so I told the internet that you're dumb, but can you clarify how dumb you are?"

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5294 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »

My HUMAN INFANT AND HUSBAND are going to have fewer rooms than these dogs...

For several years DW and I shared our small 2 bedroom house with a roommate and 3 dogs.  It never really felt cramped.  I'm not even sure I have enough stuff to fill a 3 bedroom house. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5295 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
On the plus side, 55 full handles of liquor means you're almost definitely not an alcoholic.

Lol I get it now, never heard that term for liquor.. Here they are called mickey's.

Counted and we have 48 handles. ( on doors ) Very un mmm but DH has a bad back ( lots of drawers)and my dad built and installed the kitchen.

I did not think it was possible to me more extravagant, though. You know, by real people on this forum.

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5296 on: November 12, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »

no joke, it would actively stress me out to have that many clothes. I have too many as it is! there's NO WAY you could actually LIKE and WEAR all of those clothes!!! it almost stresses me out just thinking about it. need to close the browser and get back to work, haha.

Oh she's already told me one of those closets are clothes from when she had a job in fashion, that she knows she will never be able to fit into again due to a massive thyroid problem she developed....she hasn't worn them in ten years but "can't stand to part with them.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5297 on: November 12, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Lol, I had no idea what dragoncar meant by that picture. I guess that means I don't drink enough. The alcohol currently in my house is two half bottles of wine used only for cooking and a bottle of brandy used to make my own vanilla extract

Nobody uses that terminology in the states.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5298 on: November 12, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
that she knows she will never be able to fit into again due to a massive thyroid problem she developed

I'm fat cuz of the beetus! Mah thuroid! Doctors who tell muh tuh lose weight are jus fatshamers!

My fucking favorite. Muh thuroid. "Where's your thyroid?" "Fuck you!"

Siobhan

• Stubble
« Reply #5299 on: November 12, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »

Oh she's already told me one of those closets are clothes from when she had a job in fashion, that she knows she will never be able to fit into again due to a massive thyroid problem she developed....she hasn't worn them in ten years but "can't stand to part with them.

Aaaaaaand she just 1 upped herself.  Her husband called and said that the seal on the fridge is bad and the repair guy wants 200 bucks to fix it...Her response was, wow that's expensive! Especially when a new fridge is only 2k so why put 200 dollars into something that broke?  Followed by "Did you call the repair guy for the washing machine yet?  If not, don't, we'll just replace that when we get the fridge, the new credit card we just got is interest free for 6 months so we can just try and pay it off in that time.

CW2 (who sits next to her and is fairly good with money, not Mustachian, but not super spendy) looked at her when she got off the phone and said, so you are going to forgo a 200 dollar repair, to buy a 2k fridge....AND a new washing machine, are you crazy?!?!  I kept my mouth shut, figured I got the WTF look once today, it was someone elses turn.  I know know why my fellow millenials get a bad rap..