Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253235 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4550 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
I don't talk finances too much with my friends since I make a lot more than most of them, but when the conversation turned to saving money (which brings out some MMM philosophies and techniques) I was once accused of being so good at saving money because I could afford it.  I still haven't figured out that logic.

I made a comment at work about how people should be saving $500/month at a minimum, and later realized that one of the people present was making about 30k/year.  For her, being able to save that amount of money really was a question of affording - there is a base cost of living, especially when you are just starting out.  Also, if you're just at that level, you have a limited ability to buy quality items that will last (e.g. shoes, jackets) or take advantage of bulk buying during sales, so it's hard to pull yourself up without a bit more salary.

I guess it depends on where you live - but if 30K CW was saving 500/month, she'd still have 24K / year (less taxes) to live on.  Might be a little tight, but there are ways to get by on 2K / month spending.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4551 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
Let me contribute to the clown car thingy.

We have several (free and secured) parking lots at work. I think it's more than enough for everybody, every time i arrived, at anytime, there always were plenty of space.
There is one parking lot closest to the door, and this one always fill up very soon in the morning, since everyone wants to walk less. To the other parking lots you have to walk a little, something like half a mile to the farthest. And there is a VAN to get the people to and from this lot.

I probably could stop this at the van, but NO!

Everyday people leave for lunch on their cars and when they come back, instead of parking on the free lots, they form a line of cars waiting to get on the closest lot. They stay there, cars on, AC blasting, waiting indefinitely until there are some spot on this lot and they can park there.
One day a coworker complained that she spent HALF AN HOUR waiting on the line.
I just couldn't answer.

We also have this same scenario.  There's a parking lot attached to the building at work, and a larger one a three minute walk from the building.  The larger one has a shuttle bus that runs to/from it every 15 minutes for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon.  Every day I walk by people waiting for the bus rather than walk three minutes.  Mind boggling.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4552 on: October 08, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
We also have this same scenario.  There's a parking lot attached to the building at work, and a larger one a three minute walk from the building.  The larger one has a shuttle bus that runs to/from it every 15 minutes for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon.  Every day I walk by people waiting for the bus rather than walk three minutes.  Mind boggling.

This really sucks to read(hear).  :(

I was born in Toronto. I moved to the States in '93. I've always told people that I think of Canada as a cleaner and less fat version of America. I only know the GTA so that's my idea of "Canada" for the most part, but I always loved it and always thought it was awesome how you barely saw giant SUV's, trucks, and even saw lots of people using the bus or walking with their groceries.

Growing up I thought all that kind of stuff was normal. I've noticed Canadians are starting to get fatter and there is a lot more shitty SUV's roaming the roads of Toronto. It really saddens me to see all of this happening. I really hope Canada doesn't end up just like America.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4553 on: October 08, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »

I was born in Toronto. I moved to the States in '93. I've always told people that I think of Canada as a cleaner and less fat version of America. I only know the GTA so that's my idea of "Canada" for the most part, but I always loved it and always thought it was awesome how you barely saw giant SUV's, trucks, and even saw lots of people using the bus or walking with their groceries.

Growing up I thought all that kind of stuff was normal. I've noticed Canadians are starting to get fatter and there is a lot more shitty SUV's roaming the roads of Toronto. It really saddens me to see all of this happening. I really hope Canada doesn't end up just like America.

Oh boy, this could get ugly.

I'll just say while I like cleanliness, health, smaller cars, etc., you could do worse than ending up just like Murica.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4554 on: October 08, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
I've always told people that I think of Canada as a cleaner and less fat version of America.

Good way to make friends in a new place ;-)

fb132

« Reply #4555 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »

I live in Montreal and I can tell you, it has become like the US pre-2008 crash especially the housing market.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:43:43 AM by fb132 »

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4556 on: October 08, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
I don't talk finances too much with my friends since I make a lot more than most of them, but when the conversation turned to saving money (which brings out some MMM philosophies and techniques) I was once accused of being so good at saving money because I could afford it.  I still haven't figured out that logic.

I made a comment at work about how people should be saving $500/month at a minimum, and later realized that one of the people present was making about 30k/year.  For her, being able to save that amount of money really was a question of affording - there is a base cost of living, especially when you are just starting out.  Also, if you're just at that level, you have a limited ability to buy quality items that will last (e.g. shoes, jackets) or take advantage of bulk buying during sales, so it's hard to pull yourself up without a bit more salary.

I guess it depends on where you live - but if 30K CW was saving 500/month, she'd still have 24K / year (less taxes) to live on.  Might be a little tight, but there are ways to get by on 2K / month spending.

But taxes are non-negligible. At a little more than 30k gross, after ~$500 /month retirement savings, taxes, and super cheap health insurance ($15/week) my take home is only about 1.5 k /month.  Certainly still do-able, but it makes $2k sound easy. So, I can understand the sentiment about being able to save money because you can afford it. A lot of people here can save more in a month than I earn.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:13:27 PM by neophyte »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4557 on: October 08, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

But taxes are non-negligible. At a little more than 30k gross, after ~$500 /month retirement savings, taxes, and super cheap health insurance ($15/week) my take home is only about 1.5 k /month.  Certainly still do-able, but it makes $2k sound easy. So, I can understand the sentiment about being able to save money because you can afford it. A lot of people here can save more in a month than I earn.

Hmm, in CA tax-rates.org tells me you'd have 2143/mo left over.    You're putting that $500 in a tax deductible account, right?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4558 on: October 08, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
I think I'm selling the MMM lifestyle to my co-workers!!!
They say stuff to me like "I don't think I could live your lifestyle but it really seems to work for you. You don't spend much, but you're not stingy and you seem happy" - although I do question why they couldn't live my lifestyle!
It seems to come down to having cheap hobbies (while I consider roller derby an expensive hobby - at least $16 a week in club fees plus petrol and equipment which seems needs to constant replacing, it's not bad the the broader scheme of things and gets me out the house 2-3 times a week, and playing music costs nothing but petrol money and pays me in beer giving me very cheap nights on the town!) and enjoying small spaces... things which make my frugality look more socially acceptable.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4559 on: October 08, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »

Hmm, in CA tax-rates.org tells me you'd have 2143/mo left over.    You're putting that $500 in a tax deductible account, right?

Yes, 403(b). I take home $365 /week. So actually $1581/month  1.5k was an exaggeration.  Playing with tax-rate.org tells me my state taxes are higher than they would be in CA, and it doesn't include local income tax which is actually higher than state tax where I live. 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4560 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
Co-worker: When I retire I'm going to pursue my dream of becoming an artist!

Me: Oh? That sounds great! Are you considering retirement then?

Co-worker: No. I don't know if I'll ever be able to retire. Now I have to put two children through college and they picked expensive schools.

Me: Were they able to get any financial aid?

Co-worker (makes a face): We make too much. They only got a very little. It won't go far.
<He and his wife are fairly high-paid professionals who make a lot of money. Probably about twice as much as me and my husband do and they have virtually no retirement savings despite being older than we are.>

Me: You should consider spending less on them and putting something away for yourself so that you will be able to retire at some point. Your children have time on your side. You do not.

Co-worker: It's pointless. Obama has a secret plan to completely destroy the US dollar and steal from everyone's 401K. I'm not going to put money away for retirement just so that man can steal it all! You wait and see.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
« Reply #4561 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
I got two new stories one about a cat lady that I posted before.

The cat lady used to complain all the time about not having money but at the same she was telling  us how she bought outfits for her cats and also having on order both the ps4 and the Xbox on order when they were about to get released. She worked fulltime as an engineer and had a part time job at GameStop to buy games at a discount; I believe she is her 40s.  Some time after there were some company rumors about people getting laid off since we got a new CEO. She said that if she could not afford to loose her job but some days later for some reason she decided that it would be a good idea to go and buy a new Nissan juke :/.   Guess who got laid off? I kind of felt bad when my manager was walking her out, she said that him "Gosh I really liked to work here, are we getting bought..etc etc." She actually deserved to get let go, she is use to get to work around 9 and then go home at 4. Take and early lunch at her desk but then go out to lunch when everyone else when to lunch. The other day she send an email asking if we had any leads about new jobs because she has not been able to secure a job, that was about two months since she got let go.

The second story is kind if similar. My coorworker usually gets late, takes an hour and half lunch but later comes back with his uneaten lunch and eats it at his desk etc etc. During the same company rumors his wife decided to buy a new Honda accord. Recently he bought a 200k house which I believe he cannot afford. He told me that he borrowed the maximum from his 401k and then cash out the rest for his down payment. The sad part is that he is 35 and he started contributing to his 401k for the first time ever because I told him that he should think about his retirement; he set his 401k at 6% and that was maybe 8 months ago. Since he was living on a rental property he had to break the contract and loose his deposit plus paying a penalty. That's his own fault because he is been looking for a house for a while back and sign the rental contract knowing that he wasnt going to be at that place for long. Now with the new house he decided to buy new bed room furniture, a new living room set and new tail gate for his jeep. He did all of this in a period of 2-3 months. He and his wife got student loans and he also has a car loan. If one them looses their jobs I would imagine they will be done; the funny part is that his wife works for a bank and does loan risks assesment LOL.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #4562 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »

Co-worker: No. I don't know if I'll ever be able to retire. Now I have to put two children through college and they picked expensive schools.

Co-worker (makes a face): We make too much. They only got a very little. It won't go far.
<He and his wife are fairly high-paid professionals who make a lot of money. Probably about twice as much as me and my husband do and they have virtually no retirement savings despite being older than we are.>

Me: You should consider spending less on them and putting something away for yourself so that you will be able to retire at some point. Your children have time on your side. You do not.

Co-worker: It's pointless. Obama has a secret plan to completely destroy the US dollar and steal from everyone's 401K. I'm not going to put money away for retirement just so that man can steal it all! You wait and see.

Honestly, I like it when people like this shoot themselves in the foot. : /

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4563 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:26 AM »

Honestly, I like it when people like this shoot themselves in the foot. : /

Of course, they can't literally do that anymore, thanks to Obama's secret plan to abolish gun ownership.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4564 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:14 AM »
I got two new stories one about a cat lady that I posted before.

The cat lady used to complain all the time about not having money but at the same she was telling  us how she bought outfits for her cats and also having on order both the ps4 and the Xbox on order when they were about to get released. She worked fulltime as an engineer and had a part time job at GameStop to buy games at a discount; I believe she is her 40s.  Some time after there were some company rumors about people getting laid off since we got a new CEO. She said that if she could not afford to loose her job but some days later for some reason she decided that it would be a good idea to go and buy a new Nissan juke :/.   Guess who got laid off? I kind of felt bad when my manager was walking her out, she said that him "Gosh I really liked to work here, are we getting bought..etc etc." She actually deserved to get let go, she is use to get to work around 9 and then go home at 4. Take and early lunch at her desk but then go out to lunch when everyone else when to lunch. The other day she send an email asking if we had any leads about new jobs because she has not been able to secure a job, that was about two months since she got let go.

The second story is kind if similar. My coorworker usually gets late, takes an hour and half lunch but later comes back with his uneaten lunch and eats it at his desk etc etc. During the same company rumors his wife decided to buy a new Honda accord. Recently he bought a 200k house which I believe he cannot afford. He told me that he borrowed the maximum from his 401k and then cash out the rest for his down payment. The sad part is that he is 35 and he started contributing to his 401k for the first time ever because I told him that he should think about his retirement; he set his 401k at 6% and that was maybe 8 months ago. Since he was living on a rental property he had to break the contract and loose his deposit plus paying a penalty. That's his own fault because he is been looking for a house for a while back and sign the rental contract knowing that he wasnt going to be at that place for long. Now with the new house he decided to buy new bed room furniture, a new living room set and new tail gate for his jeep. He did all of this in a period of 2-3 months. He and his wife got student loans and he also has a car loan. If one them looses their jobs I would imagine they will be done; the funny part is that his wife works for a bank and does loan risks assesment LOL.

Yep, all of that is Obama's fault.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4565 on: October 09, 2014, 04:43:55 AM »
Ha ha well said Marty!

fb132

« Reply #4566 on: October 09, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
When in doubt, blame Obama. As a canadian, I don't understand all this fear on Obama some americans have and hearing some people talk Obama like if he were Hitler makes me not even want to know why.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4567 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »
Of course, they can't literally do that anymore, thanks to Obama's secret plan to abolish gun ownership.

LOL!!

At first I felt very bad for him since by believing partisan spin he was harming his own finances. But then I realized that either his precognitive abilities were far better than mine and he had predicted this Obama dollar destruction thing way back in the Reagan administration (and I'm just a silly sheeple) or this was nonsense since no one arrives in their late 50s having no money in their retirement accounts merely because of one presidential administration.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4568 on: October 09, 2014, 06:38:19 AM »
When in doubt, blame Obama. As a canadian, I don't understand all this fear on Obama some americans have and hearing some people talk Obama like if he were Hitler makes me not even want to know why.

Sadly, it's as simple as this--Fear of a Brown PresidentTM

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4569 on: October 09, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »
I've always told people that I think of Canada as a cleaner and less fat version of America.

Good way to make friends in a new place ;-)

I mean, I'm an American and I've never been to Canada, but this is actually how I imagine it, LOL. it's not that hard to be cleaner and less fat than America, depending which part you're talking about (Oklahoma is VERY easy to beat in this regard... my hometown of the Twin Cities is much nicer, but then again it's almost Canada ;))

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4570 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »

This is pretty much the case no matter who is President - doesn't matter which party.  Bush comparisons to Hitler were actually even more prevalent.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4571 on: October 09, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »

This is pretty much the case no matter who is President - doesn't matter which party.  Bush comparisons to Hitler were actually even more prevalent.

I feel like I heard more people talk about Bush just being an idiot (with Cheney being the actual evil) vs. more people talking about Obama being straight-up evil. but I agree, everyone gets ripped on.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4572 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
I feel like I heard more people talk about Bush just being an idiot (with Cheney being the actual evil) vs. more people talking about Obama being straight-up evil. but I agree, everyone gets ripped on.

I'm not sure why there would be a conspiracy theory about President Obama confiscating money from people's investment accounts. Have we ever had an administration so willing to bend over backwards for Wall Street? Raiding 401(k)s would utterly destroy investor confidence and run counter to everything he's done for the last five and a half years.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #4573 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »

There was a actually a teacher who created an assignment for her 6th graders to write a paper on the comparisons between Bush and Hitler.  Public education at its finest.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4574 on: October 09, 2014, 08:09:16 AM »

There was a actually a teacher who created an assignment for her 6th graders to write a paper on the comparisons between Bush and Hitler.  Public education at its finest.

Godwin's_law

In the spirit of the latest off-topic tangent, how about "foam"?

"This thread's getting foamy."

"I like the foam, but getting back to the original topic . . ."

Foamy.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #4575 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
heard on a tv show about poverty:

we come into the world with nothing so if you die owing money then you've won.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #4576 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Overheard on train - 2 mid-40's guys:

Neil, haven't seen you for ages! What've you been up to?
Been busy actually. Just moved to xxxx (posh housing estate). Cracking plot but needs a lot of work done to it - reckon it'll be 100k to get it the way the missus wants it. What about you, moved yet?
Nope, still in the same house.
Never mind. I've just bought myself a Jag, well leased it. Dream house, dream car, I'm living the dream mate, living the dream! Are you still working at xx?
Yup, for another 2 weeks.
Oh, new job?
Nope, retiring. Living the dream mate, living the dream!

Cue snort from me, tried to disguise as cough. Thought I'd got away with it till retiree winked at me :)

Rest of conversation revolved around how retiree had lived within his needs not his means. Loved it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4577 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:09 AM »

Been busy actually. Just moved to xxxx (posh housing estate). Cracking plot but needs a lot of work done to it - reckon it'll be 100k to get it the way the missus wants it. What about you, moved yet?
Never mind. I've just bought myself a Jag, well leased it. Dream house, dream car, I'm living the dream mate, living the dream! Are you still working at xx?
Oh, new job?

Cue snort from me, tried to disguise as cough. Thought I'd got away with it till retiree winked at me :)

Rest of conversation revolved around how retiree had lived within his needs not his means. Loved it!

That's so badass, I love it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #4578 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
Sadly, I've got one. It's brutal, and a bit of a saga.

So I work for a small company. The owners employ many family members, on a more or less rotating basis, as it never works out for long. But their son stuck around for a couple years, so I heard alllll about his drama.

Basically, he's in his early thirties, and his mother pays his bills for him, and then deducts it from his pay, as he's not responsible enough to keep up with his own bills, and they would go into collections if left to his own devices. Sigh.

Recently he got a DUI in another province. Had his car impounded for a month, and lost his license. Managed to keep the license part quiet for a bit, but of course it eventually came out. Along with the fact that this whole ordeal cost him over $3000 to fix. And then that he had to spend thousands more replacing the wheels and rims on his vehicle...due to who knows what? Well, I shouldn't say had to spend, as he most certainly did not choose the cheapest option.

And now to top it all - he and his sister just sold their late father's property, on the other side of the country. They each got $28,000 from the sale. He went back last week to collect some belongings from the house... and hasn't yet returned, and has been calling his sister and his mother asking for money to get back! Yes, within TWO WEEKS of getting the money from the sale, it is gone. And he doesn't have a damn thing to show for it.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

fb132

« Reply #4579 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
I hope the parents left him there, but I doubt it, normally parents feel guilty and bail their child out regardless...hopefully im wrong.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4580 on: October 09, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »

Oh, new job?

That's so badass, I love it.

You may have walked into a mustachian in the wild! Some speculate seeing one brings good luck. They are a quite rare find, and a bit mysterious. Mustachians can be found in groups hidden away in the internet zoo. Don't be afraid of the mustachian though, they are harmless and even quite pleasant in conversation (so long as you don't mention debt).

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4581 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
Retired, so I don't get to overhear things at work, but I heard this gem the other day from a couple of friends:

F1: I've got this dilemma about a car. I'm getting a new (luxury car) and I can't decide if I want to get the basic one or the one with all the bells and whistles. It costs $20 a month more for the bells and whistles.

F2: Get the bells and whistles. It's only $20 a month more. Just like a lunch out each month.

Me: What are the bells and whistles? (ignored)

F2: Really, $20 is nothing. Come to my house for lunch once a month and save that much. (???)

I haven't heard what she decided.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4582 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »

Godwin's_law

In the spirit of the latest off-topic tangent, how about "foam"?

"This thread's getting foamy."

"I like the foam, but getting back to the original topic . . ."

Foamy.

+1

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #4583 on: October 09, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

He's a badon'.  You know how all of our insurance premiums have skyrocketed since the Affordable Health Care act passed?  Mine have gone up 2 - 3 percent per year.  But before he was even elected, when Bush was president, my premiums went up 20% one year.  I don't know how Obama did that but I know it was him. 

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #4584 on: October 09, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
I work in a medical clinic and get a lot of students coming through. I wish I could shake them sometimes with what I hear.

Today student graduating in a year with a BS. She will likely get a job out of school and make $60k first year up to $100k after several years. This doesn't excuse what I hear though.

Explains how hard it is to be a single mom, that she has taken out loans to pay for school etc. But then goes on to explain the every three week eyebrow threading (like waxing I guess?), the traveling that she does etc. I don't know if she realizes that all that play today just makes for a really painful student loan later.

Near daily I hear about the loans these students are taking out for school. I know it is expensive but $100k in student loans - yikes! I'm pretty frightened about the massive debt students are having to take on just for a BS.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:49:22 PM by pdxbator »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4585 on: October 09, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Well, Bush actively tried to start wars, at least that is the same as Hitler. And both did believed something stupid. I dont think I have seen this for Obama.

Oh, new job?
OMG that is so cool.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4586 on: October 09, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
Well, Bush actively tried to start wars, at least that is the same as Hitler. And both did believed something stupid. I dont think I have seen this for Obama.
ISIS?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:24:55 PM by Threshkin »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4587 on: October 09, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
/politics

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4588 on: October 09, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »
/politics

+1

Employees of a client were complaining that they weren't getting their paycheck 2 days before payday.  They had to wait all the way until payday to get paid!  They were talking about not having gas money or money to eat.  I think they've taken living paycheck to paycheck to the next level. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4589 on: October 09, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Are they not ashamed to admit it publicly? I would be...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4590 on: October 09, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

If there ever was such a thing as an MMM movie, that scene would be the trailer.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #4591 on: October 09, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
+1 for the movie trailer !

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4592 on: October 09, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »

Oh, new job?

This is awesome! I wonder if this was a MMM blog reader. I would not have been able to resist asking. ;)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4593 on: October 09, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »

Oh, new job?

Should have gone for a fist bump and said FIRE while blowing it up.

jordanread

« Reply #4594 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »

Oh, new job?

Should have gone for a fist bump and said FIRE while blowing it up.

Oh man, we need a secret handshake!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4595 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »

Thank goodness someone is thinking about the important things!

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4596 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »

Near daily I hear about the loans these students are taking out for school. I know it is expensive but $100k in student loans - yikes! I'm pretty frightened about the massive debt students are having choosing to take on just for a BS.

Fixed that for you :)

You know, I've become a lot more callous since reading MMM. I start to hold people accountable for more of their choices.

jordanread

« Reply #4597 on: October 09, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

Thank goodness someone is thinking about the important things!

You're welcome. :-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #4599 on: October 10, 2014, 03:32:16 AM »
This last year I had my companies primium health insurance because it made financial sense (we only paid a total of $400 for the birth, pregnancy, etc.). Because I am on a rotational program for work, I had the opprotunity to change insurance carriers. I decided to go with the high deductible plan. It has $5,000 deductible and the company puts $2,000 into a HSA. I have a small copay for vision and dental, and a good price for about $2800 a year (I think this is a fantastic deal!).

Me: I would like to change over to the high deductible plan with the HSA
HR: Do know about the $5,000 deductible?
Me: Yes, it is a high deductible plan.
HR: This means you will have to pay for everything out of pocket.
Me: Only for any costs are between $3,000 and $5,000
HR: Well, yes... But what if you have a bad year? I never recommend this program to people. Who has $3,000 to pay for medical bills?
Me: The other plan was guarunteed to cost me an extra $2,000 per year. I think this plan is not very risky. Especially since the money will roll over every year. It is like freee money!
HR:But it is so risky! You could go bankrupt!
(She knows that I'm a new hire and probably have student loans, but in reality I already have saved nearly enough for a $20% down payment)
Me: I'll go with that high deductible plan.
HR: Don't say I didn't warn you!