Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6408137 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4450 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
"We wanted to get our daughter something special for her sixth birthday, something she'll always remember. We found these adorable diamond earrings for under a thousand, but we figured she may be too young for that type of responsibility. Maybe for her eighth..."

For my sixth birthday, I had a small party (6-8 kids?) with games and ice-cream cones from Baskin-Robbins. I still remember it. Earrings? Would have lost them in a week.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4451 on: September 30, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

How about we say "There's an ingrown hair in this mustache!" Or maybe just, "Ingrown hair."?

Growing the wrong way. Fun!! I'd just say "ingrown"...

In the spirit of the latest off-topic tangent, how about "foam"?

"This thread's getting foamy."

"I like the foam, but getting back to the original topic . . ."

And then it's this big inside joke. :) I love it!

For my sixth birthday, I had a small party (6-8 kids?) with games and ice-cream cones from Baskin-Robbins. I still remember it. Earrings? Would have lost them in a week.

It's not quite Mustachian, since it's still consuming stupid plastic, but I've found that the cake, and dollar store squirt guns are the best bet. Usually, they come in packs of two. Last time I spent $4, and the kids at the party ignored the freaking bouncy house, because BATTLE!! :-)
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4452 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »
"We wanted to get our daughter something special for her sixth birthday, something she'll always remember. We found these adorable diamond earrings for under a thousand, but we figured she may be too young for that type of responsibility. Maybe for her eighth..."

Completely agree. I got a pair of diamond earrings from some family member when I turned 16, and I was never allowed to wear them for fear of losing them. I'm 24 and have moved out now, and I think they're still hiding in my parent's safe. Most kids that young haven't learned consumerism (read: MOST! Not all, unfortunately). Ice cream, cheap water guns, friends... that's what you need to make a party memorable at that age. Heck, now I'm thinking water balloon fight for my 25th birthday! (which is in the winter, unfortunately... time for plan b...)

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4453 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »

Completely agree. I got a pair of diamond earrings from some family member when I turned 16, and I was never allowed to wear them for fear of losing them. I'm 24 and have moved out now, and I think they're still hiding in my parent's safe. Most kids that young haven't learned consumerism (read: MOST! Not all, unfortunately). Ice cream, cheap water guns, friends... that's what you need to make a party memorable at that age. Heck, now I'm thinking water balloon fight for my 25th birthday! (which is in the winter, unfortunately... time for plan b...)
Snowball fight - like a water balloon fight, but you don't even need the balloons!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4454 on: September 30, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
Yes, I drink water all day and it tastes just fine to me.  I also drink tea, brewed from whole tea leaves, purchased in bulk quite inexpensively at my indian grocery store. I don't drink much alcohol at all.  I just happen to like cappuccinos - fell for it after a trip to Italy many moons ago.  I don't have to have it everyday, though I go through phases when I do.  Currently in that phase :)  You can facepunch me all you want, but I am not giving it up.
So no hacks for the foam then?

It's not a hack if it costs $100, but my Nespresso Aeroccino makes great foam. And that crema on my espresso from the Nespresso coffee maker...yum. Takes me back to Italy w/every cup!

You can get foam on espresso by using a measuring cup, sugar, and strong arms. Yes you can! Cubans have perfected the technique. I'm not sure if it works with non-Cuban espresso beans, but try this trick to get a nice foam on your coffee. Plus, it wins you badass points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQVzWfB_Ok
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso

Add warm milk to it to get cafe con leche, aka cafe latte (but much cheaper). Come to Miami if you want to see it done in person.

The trick is to get the first few drops of coffee that come out of the moka pot into the sugar and whisk away with a spoon. For some reason, those first few drops are the only ones that get you a really good foam. The texture you want before adding the whole pot in is a nice creamy sticky gook that is so thick you can lift it with the spoon (before the rest of the liquid is added). It's definitely an art to learn, but once you do you will never go pay fancypants money for one at Starbucks.

We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.

Why? I think the comments add to the discussion and enjoy reading them personally.

Thank you.

Hey, you can let one request go by, but after two desperate calls for espresso-foam-help from crazyworld, what am I to do? Just let it pass when I have the answer to their lifelong search for cheap foamed espresso?

I guess I just wasn't raised that way. ;-) If I see someone desperately calling for help and I have the answer, then I am going to jump in and help. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! ;-)

BTW, I learned the "first few drops of coffee" trick from someone at work, so technically this knowledge was "overheard at work". :-)

And, everyone needs a good bit of espresso to get through the 92 pages of this thread.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4455 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
That depends a bit on circumstances - when my daughter was competitive in Irish Dance, we went to Rochester once - there must have been lots of Moms and daughters already through at that point, because when we were asked where we were going and I said Rochester for an Irish Dance competition, the US border officer smiled and waved us through, no more questions.

1. Everyone in the car is not either 100% US or 100% Canadian passport holders, AND there are children in the car, AND especially if both parents of the kids are not in the car.
2. Variations thereof are almost as likely.  This makes sense -- are you abducting children?  Are you planning on illegal immigration?

The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4456 on: September 30, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Hey, you can let one request go by, but after two desperate calls for espresso-foam-help from crazyworld, what am I to do? Just let it pass when I have the answer to their lifelong search for cheap foamed espresso?

I guess I just wasn't raised that way. ;-) If I see someone desperately calling for help and I have the answer, then I am going to jump in and help. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! ;-)

BTW, I learned the "first few drops of coffee" trick from someone at work, so technically this knowledge was "overheard at work". :-)

And, everyone needs a good bit of espresso to get through the 92 pages of this thread.

Don't take that as an attack. It's more poking fun at how great we Mustachians are at finding the awesome in everything, regardless of the actual topic. :-) The comments above are pretty tongue in cheek. ;-)

That being said, I have an espresso machine, and need a good frothing cup. I'm totally trying the things mentioned. Also, my NutriBullet and bullet proof coffee makes some wonderful goodness.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4457 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
Yes, I drink water all day and it tastes just fine to me.  I also drink tea, brewed from whole tea leaves, purchased in bulk quite inexpensively at my indian grocery store. I don't drink much alcohol at all.  I just happen to like cappuccinos - fell for it after a trip to Italy many moons ago.  I don't have to have it everyday, though I go through phases when I do.  Currently in that phase :)  You can facepunch me all you want, but I am not giving it up.

It's not a hack if it costs $100, but my Nespresso Aeroccino makes great foam. And that crema on my espresso from the Nespresso coffee maker...yum. Takes me back to Italy w/every cup!

You can get foam on espresso by using a measuring cup, sugar, and strong arms. Yes you can! Cubans have perfected the technique. I'm not sure if it works with non-Cuban espresso beans, but try this trick to get a nice foam on your coffee. Plus, it wins you badass points.

Add warm milk to it to get cafe con leche, aka cafe latte (but much cheaper). Come to Miami if you want to see it done in person.

The trick is to get the first few drops of coffee that come out of the moka pot into the sugar and whisk away with a spoon. For some reason, those first few drops are the only ones that get you a really good foam. The texture you want before adding the whole pot in is a nice creamy sticky gook that is so thick you can lift it with the spoon (before the rest of the liquid is added). It's definitely an art to learn, but once you do you will never go pay fancypants money for one at Starbucks.

We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.

Muskrat

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4458 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »

Muskrat

GREAT!, now I have that stupid song stuck in my head...

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4459 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Muskrat

Oh, how I want to Google a muskrat song, but I'm scared...
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4460 on: September 30, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
Muskrat

Oh, you are so young... Here, it's the kind of song that you think you hate, but your brain secretly likes it and makes it run in your head until you go insane, or think the only way out is to eat a bullet, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4461 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »
Muskrat

Oh, you are so young... Here, it's the kind of song that you think you hate, but your brain secretly likes it and makes it run in your head until you go insane, or think the only way out is to eat a bullet, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4462 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »
Muskrat

What did I just listen to? :P

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4463 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:01 AM »

We germans call that "Ohrwurm", literally ear worm, because it eats into your ear and sits there forever ;)

Gmullz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4464 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Just heard a coworker talk about financing a Suburu WRX STI. He told another coworker how much the monthly payment was @ 1.9 APR, and his response was: "Oh yea, that's a good payment".

Good...payment......such a misnomer. :(

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4465 on: October 01, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Just heard a coworker talk about financing a Suburu WRX STI. He told another coworker how much the monthly payment was @ 1.9 APR, and his response was: "Oh yea, that's a good payment".

But it's such an awesome car to drive.  I had a WRX wagon for a while, greatest car for Michigan winters.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4466 on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Now the badger song. That I can get behind. Same with the Llama song.

This Muskrat thing is...odd, but kind of fun.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #4467 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
My work is located in a very nice suburb: low COL, nice houses, excellent schools.  So when a coworker moved here, I found it mind boggling that he and his wife (elementary teacher who didn't yet have a job: could work anywhere) chose to live in an equally nice, equally low COL suburb 40 miles away.  Our city is not known for pleasant traffic patterns, either.

But I didn't feel compelled to post here until he showed up at work DELIGHTED with his brand new, financed Dodge Ram 1500 enormous pickup truck, fully decked out, for his commute. 80 miles per day at 15-18 mpg....when he had his pick of about 5 neighborhoods within 5 miles of work. 

Insane.  He is so proud of his truck.

(I've watched his habits over the year he's been here of making moderately bad financial decisions.  They're not devastating- he makes a good salary, he can "afford" the truck.  He chose a moderately priced home.  They like to go to target and buy stuff on the weekends.  But the small things will add up.  He will work until he's 68. When the alternative is staring him in the face.)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4468 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

But it's such an awesome car to drive.  I had a WRX wagon for a while, greatest car for Michigan winters.

Lol - I was about to post the same thing earlier but decided not too because of a fear of face punches.

I had a Subaru WRX STi before and I don't regret any penny or second of it. In fact, I wish I still had it. I fucking loved that car. But I also love cars more than life itself so I actually enjoy my time with and around vehicles.

On the same note, I'm all in favor of biking and walking for local stuff. Walking to work is the best thing in the world and not even for the money savings. It's just nice to have that relaxing time to walk and think or listen to some music you love. Can't beat it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #4469 on: October 01, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

Lol - I was about to post the same thing earlier but decided not too because of a fear of face punches.

I had a Subaru WRX STi before and I don't regret any penny or second of it. In fact, I wish I still had it. I fucking loved that car. But I also love cars more than life itself so I actually enjoy my time with and around vehicles.

On the same note, I'm all in favor of biking and walking for local stuff. Walking to work is the best thing in the world and not even for the money savings. It's just nice to have that relaxing time to walk and think or listen to some music you love. Can't beat it.

My super-non-mustachian friend has a WRX. She bought it new and and has driven it for 10 years. Considering her usual rapid-fire spending and discarding habits, I think that's the best recommendation for a car I've ever seen.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #4470 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
CW1: Looks like the stock market is taking a beating today.
Me: Meh, as long as people keep buying our company's stuff so I keep a job, I don't mind buying a portion of other companies' profits for less money.
CW2: The stock market is a scam anyway.
CW1: So no 401k for CW2?
CW2: Nope I used to have one but it was my worst investment by far.
Me: Well in the past 5 years its been really good to me. I'm pretty sure if you count company matches in my returns I'm over 30%/year for the past 3 years?
CW2: Winning the lottery beats company match every time.
Me: I don't know, I know people who are millionaires because of company matches and 401k's. I don't know anyone who became a millionaire with the Lottery.
CW1: Looks like you need to add to your "poor and desperate" friends list.
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4471 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
Me: Meh, as long as people keep buying our company's stuff so I keep a job, I don't mind buying a portion of other companies' profits for less money.
Me: Well in the past 5 years its been really good to me. I'm pretty sure if you count company matches in my returns I'm over 30%/year for the past 3 years?
Me: I don't know, I know people who are millionaires because of company matches and 401k's. I don't know anyone who became a millionaire with the Lottery.
???   That conversation went from crazy to hyper crazy real quickly.  The statement about winning the lottery beating company match is the only thing that made any sense, because WINNING the lottery truly does, but PLAYING the lottery almost for certain does not, but that is a word play technicality.  Does CW2 know people who are millionaires because of the lottery?

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4472 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
???   That conversation went from crazy to hyper crazy real quickly.  The statement about winning the lottery beating company match is the only thing that made any sense, because WINNING the lottery truly does, but PLAYING the lottery almost for certain does not, but that is a word play technicality.  Does CW2 know people who are millionaires because of the lottery?

Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on commercial airlines.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4473 on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on commercial airlines.

That's the best line I've heard today. I'd love to see the actual statistics. I think suicide by commercial airline flight might be more statistically probable than rich by lottery winnings.
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4474 on: October 01, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

That's the best line I've heard today. I'd love to see the actual statistics. I think suicide by commercial airline flight might be more statistically probable than rich by lottery winnings.

Someone needs to dig into random statistics for odds of death and find one that as (un)likely as winning the lotto, so we can tweak that phrase for accuracy.

Maybe something like: "Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by riding up and down elevators"?
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Maigahane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4475 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »

Someone needs to dig into random statistics for odds of death and find one that as (un)likely as winning the lotto, so we can tweak that phrase for accuracy.

Maybe something like: "Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by riding up and down elevators"?
I have a coworker who is very vocally terrified of elevators and airplanes....so that might convince her to try the lottery

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Can I FIRE yet?
« Reply #4476 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Muskrat

And now I miss my grandparents...

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4477 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
And either way, you'll probably run out of money before achieving your goal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4478 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »
And either way, you'll probably run out of money before achieving your goal.

NICE!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4479 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »

I looked up the numbers, and you're about 20 times more likely to die by getting on an airplane (one way) than win the Powerball jackpot.  In case anyone was curious.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • Formerly of the Deep Ellum Variety
« Reply #4480 on: October 01, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.
And a journal because I #REF occasionally

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4481 on: October 01, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
[/quote]

Muskrat
[/quote]

I liked (and laughed at) Rollin...off topic and some of the others, but Muskrat is cool.  Still though, rollin might be good for those that don't know what Muskrat means.  "Hey, there they go rollin again!"  "Would you stop rollin and get back on topic?"  Keep movin', movin', movin' rollin, rollin, rollin, Though they're disapprovin', Keep them doggies movin' rollin' Rawhide! (sorry to add to the Muskrat song in your heads :)
I love being outside.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4482 on: October 01, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

Winning a lottery - which one?
The most played german one has a propability of 1:45 Million to win, which on average gives around a million.
one website says 2010 was first year with 5 billion people flying. A newspaper says 3 billion in 2013 and 265 dead, lowest number for long time (= one in 11 million). Another one says 1 dead for 2,4 million flyers. For europe you can have that
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/File:Air_transport_accidents_-_number_of_fatalities,_annual_average_2007-2009_%281%29_%28persons_killed%29-de.png

So, eve with fairly different numbers, one can say that flying is more likely to kill you than playing a lottery makes you a millionaire. Of course, you can play 10 times for ten bucks (or a hundret, if you wish), flying is a bit more expensive.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4483 on: October 01, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »

Winning a lottery - which one?
The most played german one has a propability of 1:45 Million to win, which on average gives around a million.
one website says 2010 was first year with 5 billion people flying. A newspaper says 3 billion in 2013 and 265 dead, lowest number for long time (= one in 11 million). Another one says 1 dead for 2,4 million flyers. For europe you can have that
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/File:Air_transport_accidents_-_number_of_fatalities,_annual_average_2007-2009_%281%29_%28persons_killed%29-de.png

So, eve with fairly different numbers, one can say that flying is more likely to kill you than playing a lottery makes you a millionaire. Of course, you can play 10 times for ten bucks (or a hundret, if you wish), flying is a bit more expensive.

The vast majority of lottery winner win $1.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4484 on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »

I looked up the numbers, and you're about 20 times more likely to die by getting on an airplane (one way) than win the Powerball jackpot.  In case anyone was curious.

I was going to come up with some way of dying with similar statistical chance, but then I spent an hour reading about various weird ways to die. Mithridates had a tough time of it.

Wasdramer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Spiritual Saver
« Reply #4485 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Kinda overheard at work but can't provide exact quotes. An older woman didn't get her paycheck today (she gets paid on Wednesdays) and had literally no money for food. Her employer simply decided to "skip" her, so she said. Full disclosure: I work at a convenience store, so I hear lots of things. I also get paid on Wednesdays (this was not a co-worker).

I feel sorry for her, but at the same time...she should know how to budget with her old age.
Spiritual since Aug. 31st, 2008
Frugal since July 28th, 2014

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=23917.0

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4486 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
Snowball fight - like a water balloon fight, but you don't even need the balloons!
:O I want a snowball fight birthday! I've never made/seen a snowball :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4487 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Don't they have mountains in Australia?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4488 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »

I was going to come up with some way of dying with similar statistical chance, but then I spent an hour reading about various weird ways to die. Mithridates had a tough time of it.

I feel like this thread is finally heating up and gaining momentum. Only 92 pages in, so now we know.
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4489 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »

They do, but they're on the other side of the continent!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4490 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »

They do, but they're on the other side of the continent!

Gosh, well, I hope you get to experience snow sometime.  It's fun!  :)

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4491 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder. However, I love my pups, and since children aren't "in the cards" for me, my dogs get that super wonderful attention I would have provided to a kid. I think that using sick time for vet appointments kind of evens the field, though. :-)

It actually reminds me of a friend of mine at my first job. He never smoked, but insisted on taking smoke breaks, since it wasn't fair that smokers got more breaks than the non-smokers.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4492 on: October 01, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
Non-smokers get all the breaks smokers get, but we have to wait 20 or 30 years to get them.

Children are how we move our race forward, how we survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which we wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising children is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for our survival. No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how kids are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4493 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
Everything's shiny, cap'n.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4494 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
Non-smokers get all the breaks smokers get, but we have to wait 20 or 30 years to get them.

Children are how we move our race forward, how we survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which we wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising children is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for our survival. No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how kids are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.
Lol, 99% sure they meant "dog breeder", not human breeder

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #4495 on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:27 PM »

This is totally mustachian! She was trying to get free stuff! Good job, woman!

Actually, this does crack me up, because I consider showers of all types to be torturous events, so I think it was kind of great that she did something that caused people to gasp a little. Why would we give gifts to her for choosing to get a dog??? I don't know, but why the heck do we give gifts to others for choosing to get married or have babies? Showers are pretty ridiculous whether they are for dogs, infants, or spouses.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #4496 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:15 AM »
She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder...

I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder.

No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders...

Hey over there! This is the point, I think you missed me...

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #4497 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »

I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder.

Heh...I was trying to decide if my online sarcasm detector was broken or not and jump in to add dog breeder, but it seems I was beaten to the punch

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4498 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »

Heh...I was trying to decide if my online sarcasm detector was broken or not and jump in to add dog breeder, but it seems I was beaten to the punch
Holy crap that was such an awesome series of misunderstandings.

Yeah, totally meant dog breeder. Was going to mention something about rescues, but I forgot. That made my day. I haven't gotten that confused as soon as I woke up since I used to teleport as a child.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4499 on: October 02, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Coworker spends $200/mo on tv just to channel surf. This coworker also has a fully paid off Kia he bought used (good) and a recently financed Mustang GT (2014, half paid off). This coworker then wants to get a 2016 model of the GT...