Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253187 times)

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4400 on: September 30, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.
Muskrat
GREAT!, now I have that stupid song stuck in my head...

Oh, how I want to Google a muskrat song, but I'm scared...

Oh, you are so young... Here, it's the kind of song that you think you hate, but your brain secretly likes it and makes it run in your head until you go insane, or think the only way out is to eat a bullet, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4401 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »
We need to come up with a quick code word when we get too far down a follow up thread, or off topic.
Muskrat

Oh, you are so young... Here, it's the kind of song that you think you hate, but your brain secretly likes it and makes it run in your head until you go insane, or think the only way out is to eat a bullet, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4402 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »
Muskrat

What did I just listen to? :P

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4403 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:01 AM »

We germans call that "Ohrwurm", literally ear worm, because it eats into your ear and sits there forever ;)

Gmullz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4404 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Just heard a coworker talk about financing a Suburu WRX STI. He told another coworker how much the monthly payment was @ 1.9 APR, and his response was: "Oh yea, that's a good payment".

Good...payment......such a misnomer. :(

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4405 on: October 01, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Just heard a coworker talk about financing a Suburu WRX STI. He told another coworker how much the monthly payment was @ 1.9 APR, and his response was: "Oh yea, that's a good payment".

But it's such an awesome car to drive.  I had a WRX wagon for a while, greatest car for Michigan winters.

jordanread

« Reply #4406 on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Now the badger song. That I can get behind. Same with the Llama song.

This Muskrat thing is...odd, but kind of fun.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #4407 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
My work is located in a very nice suburb: low COL, nice houses, excellent schools.  So when a coworker moved here, I found it mind boggling that he and his wife (elementary teacher who didn't yet have a job: could work anywhere) chose to live in an equally nice, equally low COL suburb 40 miles away.  Our city is not known for pleasant traffic patterns, either.

But I didn't feel compelled to post here until he showed up at work DELIGHTED with his brand new, financed Dodge Ram 1500 enormous pickup truck, fully decked out, for his commute. 80 miles per day at 15-18 mpg....when he had his pick of about 5 neighborhoods within 5 miles of work. 

Insane.  He is so proud of his truck.

(I've watched his habits over the year he's been here of making moderately bad financial decisions.  They're not devastating- he makes a good salary, he can "afford" the truck.  He chose a moderately priced home.  They like to go to target and buy stuff on the weekends.  But the small things will add up.  He will work until he's 68. When the alternative is staring him in the face.)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4408 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

But it's such an awesome car to drive.  I had a WRX wagon for a while, greatest car for Michigan winters.

Lol - I was about to post the same thing earlier but decided not too because of a fear of face punches.

I had a Subaru WRX STi before and I don't regret any penny or second of it. In fact, I wish I still had it. I fucking loved that car. But I also love cars more than life itself so I actually enjoy my time with and around vehicles.

On the same note, I'm all in favor of biking and walking for local stuff. Walking to work is the best thing in the world and not even for the money savings. It's just nice to have that relaxing time to walk and think or listen to some music you love. Can't beat it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #4409 on: October 01, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »

Lol - I was about to post the same thing earlier but decided not too because of a fear of face punches.

I had a Subaru WRX STi before and I don't regret any penny or second of it. In fact, I wish I still had it. I fucking loved that car. But I also love cars more than life itself so I actually enjoy my time with and around vehicles.

On the same note, I'm all in favor of biking and walking for local stuff. Walking to work is the best thing in the world and not even for the money savings. It's just nice to have that relaxing time to walk and think or listen to some music you love. Can't beat it.

My super-non-mustachian friend has a WRX. She bought it new and and has driven it for 10 years. Considering her usual rapid-fire spending and discarding habits, I think that's the best recommendation for a car I've ever seen.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #4410 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
CW1: Looks like the stock market is taking a beating today.
Me: Meh, as long as people keep buying our company's stuff so I keep a job, I don't mind buying a portion of other companies' profits for less money.
CW2: The stock market is a scam anyway.
CW1: So no 401k for CW2?
CW2: Nope I used to have one but it was my worst investment by far.
Me: Well in the past 5 years its been really good to me. I'm pretty sure if you count company matches in my returns I'm over 30%/year for the past 3 years?
CW2: Winning the lottery beats company match every time.
Me: I don't know, I know people who are millionaires because of company matches and 401k's. I don't know anyone who became a millionaire with the Lottery.
CW1: Looks like you need to add to your "poor and desperate" friends list.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4411 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
Me: Meh, as long as people keep buying our company's stuff so I keep a job, I don't mind buying a portion of other companies' profits for less money.
Me: Well in the past 5 years its been really good to me. I'm pretty sure if you count company matches in my returns I'm over 30%/year for the past 3 years?
Me: I don't know, I know people who are millionaires because of company matches and 401k's. I don't know anyone who became a millionaire with the Lottery.
???   That conversation went from crazy to hyper crazy real quickly.  The statement about winning the lottery beating company match is the only thing that made any sense, because WINNING the lottery truly does, but PLAYING the lottery almost for certain does not, but that is a word play technicality.  Does CW2 know people who are millionaires because of the lottery?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4412 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
???   That conversation went from crazy to hyper crazy real quickly.  The statement about winning the lottery beating company match is the only thing that made any sense, because WINNING the lottery truly does, but PLAYING the lottery almost for certain does not, but that is a word play technicality.  Does CW2 know people who are millionaires because of the lottery?

Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on commercial airlines.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4413 on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying on commercial airlines.

That's the best line I've heard today. I'd love to see the actual statistics. I think suicide by commercial airline flight might be more statistically probable than rich by lottery winnings.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4414 on: October 01, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

That's the best line I've heard today. I'd love to see the actual statistics. I think suicide by commercial airline flight might be more statistically probable than rich by lottery winnings.

Someone needs to dig into random statistics for odds of death and find one that as (un)likely as winning the lotto, so we can tweak that phrase for accuracy.

Maybe something like: "Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by riding up and down elevators"?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #4415 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Muskrat

And now I miss my grandparents...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4416 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
And either way, you'll probably run out of money before achieving your goal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4417 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:14 PM »
And either way, you'll probably run out of money before achieving your goal.

NICE!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4418 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »

Someone needs to dig into random statistics for odds of death and find one that as (un)likely as winning the lotto, so we can tweak that phrase for accuracy.

Maybe something like: "Trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by riding up and down elevators"?
I looked up the numbers, and you're about 20 times more likely to die by getting on an airplane (one way) than win the Powerball jackpot.  In case anyone was curious.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #4419 on: October 01, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4420 on: October 01, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
[/quote]

Muskrat
[/quote]

I liked (and laughed at) Rollin...off topic and some of the others, but Muskrat is cool.  Still though, rollin might be good for those that don't know what Muskrat means.  "Hey, there they go rollin again!"  "Would you stop rollin and get back on topic?"  Keep movin', movin', movin' rollin, rollin, rollin, Though they're disapprovin', Keep them doggies movin' rollin' Rawhide! (sorry to add to the Muskrat song in your heads :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4421 on: October 01, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

Winning a lottery - which one?
The most played german one has a propability of 1:45 Million to win, which on average gives around a million.
one website says 2010 was first year with 5 billion people flying. A newspaper says 3 billion in 2013 and 265 dead, lowest number for long time (= one in 11 million). Another one says 1 dead for 2,4 million flyers. For europe you can have that
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/File:Air_transport_accidents_-_number_of_fatalities,_annual_average_2007-2009_%281%29_%28persons_killed%29-de.png

So, eve with fairly different numbers, one can say that flying is more likely to kill you than playing a lottery makes you a millionaire. Of course, you can play 10 times for ten bucks (or a hundret, if you wish), flying is a bit more expensive.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4422 on: October 01, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »

Winning a lottery - which one?
The most played german one has a propability of 1:45 Million to win, which on average gives around a million.
one website says 2010 was first year with 5 billion people flying. A newspaper says 3 billion in 2013 and 265 dead, lowest number for long time (= one in 11 million). Another one says 1 dead for 2,4 million flyers. For europe you can have that
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/File:Air_transport_accidents_-_number_of_fatalities,_annual_average_2007-2009_%281%29_%28persons_killed%29-de.png

So, eve with fairly different numbers, one can say that flying is more likely to kill you than playing a lottery makes you a millionaire. Of course, you can play 10 times for ten bucks (or a hundret, if you wish), flying is a bit more expensive.

The vast majority of lottery winner win $1.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4423 on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »

I looked up the numbers, and you're about 20 times more likely to die by getting on an airplane (one way) than win the Powerball jackpot.  In case anyone was curious.

I was going to come up with some way of dying with similar statistical chance, but then I spent an hour reading about various weird ways to die. Mithridates had a tough time of it.

Wasdramer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Spiritual Saver
« Reply #4424 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Kinda overheard at work but can't provide exact quotes. An older woman didn't get her paycheck today (she gets paid on Wednesdays) and had literally no money for food. Her employer simply decided to "skip" her, so she said. Full disclosure: I work at a convenience store, so I hear lots of things. I also get paid on Wednesdays (this was not a co-worker).

I feel sorry for her, but at the same time...she should know how to budget with her old age.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4425 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
Snowball fight - like a water balloon fight, but you don't even need the balloons!
:O I want a snowball fight birthday! I've never made/seen a snowball :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4426 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Snowball fight - like a water balloon fight, but you don't even need the balloons!

Don't they have mountains in Australia?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4427 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »

I was going to come up with some way of dying with similar statistical chance, but then I spent an hour reading about various weird ways to die. Mithridates had a tough time of it.

I feel like this thread is finally heating up and gaining momentum. Only 92 pages in, so now we know.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4428 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »

They do, but they're on the other side of the continent!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4429 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »

They do, but they're on the other side of the continent!

Gosh, well, I hope you get to experience snow sometime.  It's fun!  :)

jordanread

« Reply #4430 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
In a prior role, the group used to throw baby showers or retirement parties and have a "Money Tree" where people would tie cash to a small twiggy tree for the honoree.

One of the people that reported to me decided to throw herself a dog shower complete with a Money Tree. She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder and wanted one for herself since everyone else got to have them for babies or retiring.  She had even registered her new furry family member at Target. 

She had organized and was planning to throw the dog shower on company time.  Tragically she didn't invite her boss (but did invite some of my peers).  Interesting woman. 

My boss's boss stopped her after the invitations went out.  No Money Tree for her.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder. However, I love my pups, and since children aren't "in the cards" for me, my dogs get that super wonderful attention I would have provided to a kid. I think that using sick time for vet appointments kind of evens the field, though. :-)

It actually reminds me of a friend of mine at my first job. He never smoked, but insisted on taking smoke breaks, since it wasn't fair that smokers got more breaks than the non-smokers.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4431 on: October 01, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
Non-smokers get all the breaks smokers get, but we have to wait 20 or 30 years to get them.

Children are how we move our race forward, how we survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which we wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising children is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for our survival. No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how kids are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4432 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
Everything's shiny, cap'n.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4433 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
Non-smokers get all the breaks smokers get, but we have to wait 20 or 30 years to get them.

Children are how we move our race forward, how we survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which we wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising children is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for our survival. No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how kids are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.
Lol, 99% sure they meant "dog breeder", not human breeder

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #4434 on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:27 PM »

This is totally mustachian! She was trying to get free stuff! Good job, woman!

Actually, this does crack me up, because I consider showers of all types to be torturous events, so I think it was kind of great that she did something that caused people to gasp a little. Why would we give gifts to her for choosing to get a dog??? I don't know, but why the heck do we give gifts to others for choosing to get married or have babies? Showers are pretty ridiculous whether they are for dogs, infants, or spouses.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #4435 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:15 AM »
She had gotten an expensive puppy from the breeder...

I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder.

No need to be a dick and call people with kids breeders...

Hey over there! This is the point, I think you missed me...

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #4436 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »

I don't see the point of a dog shower, nor do I see a point in paying a breeder.

Heh...I was trying to decide if my online sarcasm detector was broken or not and jump in to add dog breeder, but it seems I was beaten to the punch

jordanread

« Reply #4437 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »

Heh...I was trying to decide if my online sarcasm detector was broken or not and jump in to add dog breeder, but it seems I was beaten to the punch
Holy crap that was such an awesome series of misunderstandings.

Yeah, totally meant dog breeder. Was going to mention something about rescues, but I forgot. That made my day. I haven't gotten that confused as soon as I woke up since I used to teleport as a child.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4438 on: October 02, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Coworker spends $200/mo on tv just to channel surf. This coworker also has a fully paid off Kia he bought used (good) and a recently financed Mustang GT (2014, half paid off). This coworker then wants to get a 2016 model of the GT...

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4439 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »
I used to teleport as a child.

Please share the secret. This is life long dream. Fuck riding bikes, I'll get rich with teleporting. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4440 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »

Please share the secret.

A subjective reality.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:02:17 AM by arebelspy »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4441 on: October 02, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »

Actually, this does crack me up, because I consider showers of all types to be torturous events, so I think it was kind of great that she did something that caused people to gasp a little. Why would we give gifts to her for choosing to get a dog??? I don't know, but why the heck do we give gifts to others for choosing to get married or have babies? Showers are pretty ridiculous whether they are for dogs, infants, or spouses.

I agree, and I think it is insane to have a baby shower on company time, with employees expected to contribute towards it. I am of the opinion that it is your kid, not the company's, if you want to have a baby shower, that is on your own time, with your own friends and family. This isn't just about company time, but the awkwardness of any co-workers feeling obligated to contribute, and I feel the same towards girl scout cookies or marathon/race fundraising, though those can be acceptable as sometimes someone will just put a sheet in the breakroom (much less pressure to give).

jordanread

« Reply #4442 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Please share the secret. This is life long dream. Fuck riding bikes, I'll get rich with teleporting. :)
I don't think you can do it once you grow up. I've tried. I do miss it though.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4443 on: October 02, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »

The skill seems to go away with age. 

I would simply fall asleep somewhere and BAM I wake up in a completely different place. 

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #4444 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »

The skill seems to go away with age. 

I would simply fall asleep somewhere and BAM I wake up in a completely different place.

DW still teleports to bed several times a week.  If she falls asleep in the car on a trip home from her family for the weekend, or on the couch while grading homeworks, I just pick her up and carry her to bed!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4445 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
Guy at work yesterday during lunch was talking about how when he was in school he got a "great deal" on a bunch of obscenely fancy auto-mechanic tools.  He got a $17,000 toolchest for only $8,500!  And not only that, we was able to roll it into his student loans!  What a deal!

He doesn't even drive an old car that needs wonky repairs or anything like that.  He drives a 2010 VW.  I just don't get it.  But he also goes out to lunch 80% of the time, and keeps telling everyone they need $1700 espresso machines.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4446 on: October 02, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »

Holy crap that was such an awesome series of misunderstandings.

Yeah, totally meant dog breeder. Was going to mention something about rescues, but I forgot. That made my day. I haven't gotten that confused as soon as I woke up since I used to teleport as a child.

Yeah, but puppies are how dogs move their race forward, how they survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which they wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising dogs is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for their survival. No need to be a dick and call people who sell dogs breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how pets are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #4447 on: October 02, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »

I agree, and I think it is insane to have a baby shower on company time, with employees expected to contribute towards it. I am of the opinion that it is your kid, not the company's, if you want to have a baby shower, that is on your own time, with your own friends and family. This isn't just about company time, but the awkwardness of any co-workers feeling obligated to contribute, and I feel the same towards girl scout cookies or marathon/race fundraising, though those can be acceptable as sometimes someone will just put a sheet in the breakroom (much less pressure to give).

You're not supposed to give yourself a baby shower, though; it's bad etiquette.  Someone is supposed to put it together for you.  And sometimes that's coworkers, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, depending on your work environment.

Where I work, we throw a baby shower for everyone who has a baby (including guys whose wives have kids).  No one is obligated to attend to give anything, and not everyone does.  People do bring food, though, so everyone enjoys it when there is a baby shower, and everyone is welcome to attend whether they bring a gift or not.  I work at a hospital, with mostly women, so maybe it makes more sense that we'd do that.  In a more corporate or less female-dominated setting, maybe it would be weird.  I don't know.

Or maybe I'm biased, because I'm 33 weeks pregnant and was given a shower at work a couple of weeks ago - it was a total surprise.  So maybe I'm biased.  But I appreciated it, because we don't have family in the area, and very little in the way of friends/social life, so I wouldn't have had one otherwise.  NOT that I think anyone owes me a shower/gifts, and like I said, I had no idea this was even coming, but baby stuff gets expensive when you are buying everything yourself, and we are very new to Mustachian living, so the budget and I appreciated it very much.  It was a lovely and generous gesture, and in a more tight-knit workplace like mine, I don't think it was out of place at all. 

jordanread

« Reply #4448 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Yeah, but puppies are how dogs move their race forward, how they survive - thank you, drive to survive and procreate, without which they wouldn't be here. Communities coming together to help the process of having and raising dogs is a nice thing, and again, pretty good for their survival. No need to be a dick and call people who sell dogs breeders, there are forums where you can circlejerk about how pets are the worst thing since un-sliced bread.

Okay, this is getting out of hand. Of all the places on the internet, I would never have expected to see it here. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Un-sliced bread is awesome, and has done nothing to deserve the scorn you've all shown.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4449 on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
dog breeder

Man, I fucked up. My bad. Wow, pretty embarrassing.

I do think fundraisers during work are awkward because of the pressure to donate, at which point it's not a donation anymore.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!