Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252647 times)

nordlead

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #4200 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
You might be asked immigration questions, but you are not required to answer them.
If you don't answer them you get your car searched.  I lived in NM for 14 years and passed through their checkpoint between El Paso and Carlsbad a few times each year.  Nice people, but consider answering their questions nicely.

Besides, the questions are typically really fast. Where are you coming from? Where are you going? Are you a US citizen? Ok, have a nice day.

Then again, last time I was in Arizona it went from 10 questions on Monday down to 1 (are you a US citizen) on Friday. They weren't even the same border patrol guards each day...

Gundy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4201 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »

A friend of mine saying "That bump for Major pay wasn't as big as you would think" as we got into his fully loaded 2014 Lincoln Navigator.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #4202 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
I asked my boss to look more into our SIMPLE IRA set up, since I found out there are two different ways it could be set up and he doesn't know which one it is.  He wanted to know why I needed to know, so I explained that one allowed more choice and the other locked you into the company that our workplace makes us use (American Funds) which I'm not very happy with.  If I have options, I would like to look into them.  He said, "well, you know the company matches 3%, right? That is free money... why are you worried about loosing free money?"  I honestly didn't know how to answer that... I ended up saying "Look, I'm young and little tweeks at my age could really pay out for me down the road."   He just shook his head and told me that the stock market is about to crash and I should get out while I can.  I told him I would probably just invest more of my paycheck if it crashed.  He shook his head and gave me the "you poor thing.. you just don't understand how this world works" look.  It made me sad.  I guess he won't be getting me the information I wanted about our SIMPLE IRA, since it doesn't matter anyway. :-/

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #4203 on: September 17, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
I asked my boss to look more into our SIMPLE IRA set up, since I found out there are two different ways it could be set up and he doesn't know which one it is.  He wanted to know why I needed to know, so I explained that one allowed more choice and the other locked you into the company that our workplace makes us use (American Funds) which I'm not very happy with.  If I have options, I would like to look into them.  He said, "well, you know the company matches 3%, right? That is free money... why are you worried about loosing free money?"  I honestly didn't know how to answer that... I ended up saying "Look, I'm young and little tweeks at my age could really pay out for me down the road."   He just shook his head and told me that the stock market is about to crash and I should get out while I can.  I told him I would probably just invest more of my paycheck if it crashed.  He shook his head and gave me the "you poor thing.. you just don't understand how this world works" look.  It made me sad.  I guess he won't be getting me the information I wanted about our SIMPLE IRA, since it doesn't matter anyway. :-/

What a jackass. Tell him he shouldn't let his PERSONAL OPINIONS get in the way of YOUR CHOICES.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #4204 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

This is awful!

My old boss (who I otherwise really liked) used to digress about how young people these days "don't know how to spend money". He said when he could easily go out on the town and spend several hundred when he was young, whereas people my age just don't "know how to do that anymore". Apparently he viewed this as a big problem!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4205 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Besides, the questions are typically really fast. Where are you coming from? Where are you going? Are you a US citizen? Ok, have a nice day.

Then again, last time I was in Arizona it went from 10 questions on Monday down to 1 (are you a US citizen) on Friday. They weren't even the same border patrol guards each day...

I was at a checkpoint in El Paso. Got into the lane with the fewest cars - just one - but curse my rotten luck, it takes them like five minutes to get through, while everyone else seems to whizz past me. Damn, wrong lane. Okay, agent is a hardass, so I grab my license, my passport (was within reach, since I was moving)... open the window, obviously, and wait.

Finally it's my turn. As I begin to pull up, he just shouts at me as he walks from the booth, maybe 20 feet away, "Citizen?" I nod. He shouts, "Alright!" and waves me on.

So that's my experience with the illegal immigration checkpoint. Apparently white boy here doesn't get hassled too much, even with four months' worth of beard.

(Now ask me about the US/Canada crossing, that'll be a story of hasslin'.)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4206 on: September 17, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
I just crossed over the US/Canadian border each way in Niagara, and both were honestly a breeze (we're US citizens). At the border into Canada, we were asked where we were from, what were we doing, did we already have reservations, and how long we were staying. He asked the questions at a rapidfire pace (I assume to see if we would trip up - we were simply going on vacation). Coming back into the States I assumed it would be a lot more difficult, but it was quicker! He studied our passports a bit closer than coming into Canada and asked us what our citizenship was, and that was it! We were in a heavy tourist area, and we were tourists, so they get people like us a lot, but I was honestly surprised how easy it was both ways.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4207 on: September 17, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
I've crossed lot's of borders including to US many times and tt has never taken me more than 1-2 min not counting waiting in the line. As for lines usually also not too bad, albeit once we had the "pleasure" of waiting for 1 1/2 h in a sleepy airport in Muscat.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #4208 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

What a jackass. Tell him he shouldn't let his PERSONAL OPINIONS get in the way of YOUR CHOICES.

I know... He is very opinionated, which normally is just entertaining to me, but in this instance, he is getting in my way.  He doesn't even know who set up the account or anything.  I called our accountant and it was set up well before her time and not through her company.  I feel like there has to be a way for me to find this out on my own somehow.  I think he is just bitter because he is 60 and can't quit.  I guess if he can't quit by now, he doesn't want future-me to be able to quit either?  :)  I will find a way...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4209 on: September 17, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
I just crossed over the US/Canadian border each way in Niagara, and both were honestly a breeze (we're US citizens). At the border into Canada, we were asked where we were from, what were we doing, did we already have reservations, and how long we were staying. He asked the questions at a rapidfire pace (I assume to see if we would trip up - we were simply going on vacation). Coming back into the States I assumed it would be a lot more difficult, but it was quicker! He studied our passports a bit closer than coming into Canada and asked us what our citizenship was, and that was it! We were in a heavy tourist area, and we were tourists, so they get people like us a lot, but I was honestly surprised how easy it was both ways.

You lucked out.  A few years ago we drove from Seattle to Vancouver and it took over an hour just to get to the booth each way, although the questioning was quick.  I did lock my passport in the trunk going back into the States, which earned me a polite Canadian rebuke.  :D

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4210 on: September 17, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »

You lucked out.  A few years ago we drove from Seattle to Vancouver and it took over an hour just to get to the booth each way, although the questioning was quick.  I did lock my passport in the trunk going back into the States, which earned me a polite Canadian rebuke.  :D

I credit good luck and planning on our avoidance of lines. We got to the border heading into Canada mid afternoon on a Saturday (assuming most people would get there Friday night/early Saturday morning) and crossed back into the States late morning on Monday. There was only one car ahead of us getting into Canada and we zipped right up to the window getting into the States.

My coworker told me a horror story of her return to the States decades ago from Canada (she didn't specify from exactly where). She was sick and drinking Pepto Bismol in the car, and when the spotted that, they got her and her husband out of the car and tore it apart. The saddest part, she said, was watching them carefully pour out her PB to see if she had anything hiding under there. They put the seats back into her car at least, but the rest of the car was trashed. Whoops.

Rika Non

• Stubble
« Reply #4211 on: September 17, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
CW. We are moving to [names town 10 miles farther away than her current town].
I can't believe people live in a different TOWN to which they work!!
I lived in a different STATE than the one I worked in.  Crossed several city limits and a state line on my 14 mile, 30 minute commute.

Easterners! Out in the west that would be much harder...

I was stationed in Georgia for training years back and we just came back from a 4-day weekend.  Someone commented how they drove north for 10 hours and crossed 6 states (like it was a huge deal).  I did the math and replied "Starting from the same latitude in California, I'd still be in California."  I liked to give them a lot of crap about being from a much bigger state.  I live in WA now and regularly drive 12 hours south to visit home on long weekends and vacations.

There are agriculture checkpoints just inside the CA border coming from Oregon, Nevada, and the Mexico border. There might be one between AZ and CA. I haven't driven that route in years.

I have driven for 6 hours and still been stuck in Houston traffic.
Of course I have driven for 12 hours and still been stuck in LA traffic also (closure on the I-5).
:(

Retirement plan = Wyoming

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4212 on: September 17, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
Wyoming is fucking beautiful. Cody is an incredible location. I wonder what houses there cost. Hmm, quite a few in the 100-150-200-250 ranges.

If you really want no traffic and a beautiful landscape, most of the north-mid-west and pacific-north-west states are good. Even CA, as long as you're away from a metro area and closer to some mountains. WA, OR, MT, ND, SD, MN, WY, CO, UT, all a pleasure. Bring chains for your tires unless you live within an hour, sometimes two, of the pacific.

voidmain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4213 on: September 19, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
iPhone 6 release day, and a bunch of my coworkers are waiting in hour+ lines to get theirs, just seems crazy to me. Thats one of the more great advantages of having a prepaid monthly plan - most people are incentivized to upgrade every 2 years to "get the most" out of their plan (so they can rush back into another 2 yr contract), while I'm in no hurry. I'm sure I'll upgrade my 5 to a 6 eventually, but my phone works pretty well right now so I can just wait until whenever, maybe even waiting until next year's model.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4214 on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
Apparently one of the first people to get their iPhone 6 in Australia promptly dropped it. On national TV... (I only read the headline, but it made me snicker.)

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4215 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
Wyoming is fucking beautiful. Cody is an incredible location. I wonder what houses there cost. Hmm, quite a few in the 100-150-200-250 ranges.

If you really want no traffic and a beautiful landscape, most of the north-mid-west and pacific-north-west states are good. Even CA, as long as you're away from a metro area and closer to some mountains. WA, OR, MT, ND, SD, MN, WY, CO, UT, all a pleasure. Bring chains for your tires unless you live within an hour, sometimes two, of the pacific.

Avoid the Puget Sound if you hate traffic. Traffic is hell around here. But it is gorgeous, for absolute sure.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:34:06 PM by Helvegen »

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #4216 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

Avoid the Puget Sound if you hate traffic. Traffic is hell around here. But it is gorgeous, for absolute sure.

Move to Long Island. No traffic here. Ever! And no one tailgates either. And when you want to leave Long Island, getting through NYC is a breeze!

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #4217 on: September 19, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »

That's where I live. No traffic for me - I live close to work and ride my bike most days.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #4218 on: September 19, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
iPhone 6 release day, and a bunch of my coworkers are waiting in hour+ lines to get theirs, just seems crazy to me. Thats one of the more great advantages of having a prepaid monthly plan - most people are incentivized to upgrade every 2 years to "get the most" out of their plan (so they can rush back into another 2 yr contract), while I'm in no hurry. I'm sure I'll upgrade my 5 to a 6 eventually, but my phone works pretty well right now so I can just wait until whenever, maybe even waiting until next year's model.

For a guy at work he rocked up at 5am and was 120th in line... he finally got his at around 11:45am... Apparently last year he rocked up at 5am and was 19th in line, and at work by 9am (yes he upgrades each time there is a new one).  Another guy got his elsewhere on a plan rocked up to the store at 8am and was in around 10am.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4219 on: September 19, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »

Of course, the caveat is that if you live in a metropolitan area of one of these states there will be traffic.

The difference is, for example - Massachusetts is probably 90% not metropolitan area, but probably 50% of it has traffic. Connecticut is much the same; for any given road, if you're not in a city you're likely in suburbia and often dense suburbia. On the other hand, take OR; if you select at random a road not near a city, you're probably not seeing a lot of cars. Or WA, same thing, the vast majority of the state (in terms of area) does not have much traffic.

Besides, you get more beauty as you get farther from town. So it works out fine.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #4220 on: September 19, 2014, 06:25:58 PM »
I'm sure I'll upgrade my 5 to a 6 eventually, but my phone works pretty well right now so I can just wait until whenever, maybe even waiting until next year's model.

I got my ex's old iPhone 3GS when we started dating (he didn't want it back when we broke up :P) after about a year and a half's use by him, and every time there's a fancy new phone (regardless of who's making it) I want to upgrade, but can't convince myself to spend the money. Unusually for planned-obsolescence obsessed phone engineers, it's lasted five years and counting!

I'm a software engineering student and I love playing with gadgets and new technology, but this phone I think I'll keep using until it literally stops working. Sure, it crashes occasionally and I can't get the latest software, but it's got enough to keep me going for a while yet. That way when I do upgrade, it'll be like angels singing when I turn on the new one :P

SF Semi-Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4221 on: September 19, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
In Europe we did a road trip and hit 5 countries in one day with a long lunch stop.  Barely had a sign at a few of the crossings, could see people easily going back and forth daily.

I often cycle to Germany. Sometimes for exercise, sometimes for shopping (much cheaper). Takes about 20 min from my place.

To hit 5 countries you have to plan well. Something like France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Germany would be possible. To go from one corner of EU to the other takes about as long as from NYC to LA.

When I was in Basel, I went to the Fondation Beyeler (in Switzerland), walked to Weil-am-Rhein, Germany, then walked to Huningue, France, and then back to Basel for the pure novelty of it.  Such a funny thing for Americans (I'm 8 hours driving with no traffic from the Mexican border).

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #4222 on: September 20, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »

Sure, it crashes occasionally and I can't get the latest software, but it's got enough to keep me going for a while yet. That way when I do upgrade, it'll be like angels singing when I turn on the new one :P

I bought a new 3GS just after the 4 came out. I still have it despite the crashing and general slowness it's still a magic sci-fi device.

That said, my next phone will be one of the $19 ones from the supermarket. I no longer use it enough to need a smart phone.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4223 on: September 20, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Conversation with my co-workers:

Female CW: Hey, Metta! Come over here and dream with us!

Me: "Always happy to dream a bit. What are we dreaming about? Is food involved?"

Female CW: "We're dreaming what we will do when we win the lottery."

Male CW: "Metta doesn't like the lottery. She won't play and she won't dream."

<Male CW has heard me ask several times why people who know math are playing the lottery. Each person adds $20 to the office lottery pool and then the designated person takes the money and buys a bunch of lottery tickets. I find this mystifying. Though I've been told that it is a form of office bonding, so lately I've been trying to be less negative.>

Me: "It's ok if you want to play the lottery as long as you're fully funding your 401K and saving money."

Female CW: "You can't get a million dollars by saving money in your 401K. The lottery is a better investment."

Since my husband and I recently hit a million by saving money, I was rendered speechless and ran off saying, "Oh, I need to take care of something on my server. Dream on!"

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #4224 on: September 20, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »

Unless you are crossing into California, in which case you might have to stop for agricultural inspection, and at certain points in the Southwest you might have to answer immigration questions..

You might be asked immigration questions, but you are not required to answer them.
If you don't answer them you get your car searched.  I lived in NM for 14 years and passed through their checkpoint between El Paso and Carlsbad a few times each year.  Nice people, but consider answering their questions nicely.
I agree. My land lady worked as a pharmacist in Carlsbad. Told many stories of her brutal commute from Las Cruces to Carlsbad everyday. The route is amazing for the absence of humanity in between El Paso and Carlsbad.
And from Las Cruces, one hits a border checkpoint whether you go east, west or north. Always had to carry my passport and VISA papers. It pays to be nice to the guys. Few times when I forgot to carry papers, it resulted in long waiting as they had to cross-check the name in their databases

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4225 on: September 21, 2014, 06:10:46 AM »

Me: "It's ok if you want to play the lottery as long as you're fully funding your 401K and saving money."

Female CW: "You can't get a million dollars by saving money in your 401K. The lottery is a better investment."

Since my husband and I recently hit a million by saving money, I was rendered speechless and ran off saying, "Oh, I need to take care of something on my server. Dream on!"

Sometimes I too run, but sometimes I feel an obligation to say that "I know people my age who have become millionaires investing but none through the lottery.  It really is doable."   It just seems so wrong to let the misconception go unchallenged at times!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4226 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
Lottery is an investment. If you say so...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4227 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »

Sometimes I too run, but sometimes I feel an obligation to say that "I know people my age who have become millionaires investing but none through the lottery.  It really is doable."   It just seems so wrong to let the misconception go unchallenged at times!

I had a professor say something similar in class and it ticked me off.  I pulled up kiplingers how to become a millionaire and raised my hand and showed it to the class.  I HATE when people who have influence use it badly.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #4228 on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
I used to work with/be friends with this girl who was like alternate universe me except she made choices that were completely opposite to mine.  After a while of this, I found myself biting my tongue so hard I nearly chewed it off.  Sorry if this is a bit long, it was overheard throughout my 3+ years of working with her.

For starters, she dropped out of university with something like AUD$18,000 HECS (student loan) debt, so I used to hear her complain about how she was expected to pay for classes she had attended but not bothered to complete.  It was like clockwork, every tax time it was a constant wailing and gnashing of teeth.

She moved out of her parents house despite it being rent free and her being able to have as many friends/boyfriends as she liked over.  She made herself almost immediately unwelcome with her new housemates because she started complaining about people not doing the dishes or whatever on facebook and the housemates seeing it and saying 'hey we get that you're upset but could you please talk to us directly about this?'...  So she moved out into her own flat and found it really hard because we were barely making above the minimum wage, so rent was eating up something like 40-50% of her salary.

After that lease is up, she moves in with her boyfriend and she decides to take care of all the bills by putting it on a rewards credit card, her boyfriend forgets to pay her back for anything, then they break up and she's got a balance of $10,000 on a 20% CC.

Then there was her car.  Her parents gave her a fully functional 2-3 year old car they'd bought secondhand.  She would pay for routine services, but I used to hear how if there was a big problem she'd never have the money to pay for a repair, so her parents would bail her out.

Anyways, she pays off her credit card and now decides she's an adult who can do whatever she likes, and that the secondhand car her parents gifted her isn't good enough.  She wants a Mini, dammit!
So she sells the car her parents bought for her, and takes out a loan for a Mini that is older and has more kms on it than the car her parents gave her.  The new car now requires premium fuel, she said something about it costing $90 to fill it up.  Just when I thought things couldn't get worse for her, about a year after she bought it the car breaks down during one of the hottest days on record and it turns out she hasn't had the car serviced at all since she bought it because she didn't have the money, and now she certainly doesn't have the funds to get it fixed. The mini gets repaired (possibly courtesy of her parents), but she can't drive it because the tyres need replacing and she doesn't have the money to replace them (she said something about it costing $100 or more per tyre).  For a while she was paying down a loan on a car she couldn't even use.

Anyways, about a month or two after this she decides that she's going to buy her own place... in one of the hottest property markets in our state.  She scrapes up a minimal deposit with what sounded like a lot of assistance from the bank of mum and dad, and in what was a surprisingly smart move, bought a 2 bedroom house close to what was then our office.  However, she refused to entertain the idea of getting a housemate, even a FIFO worker, because she was a homeowner now, she wasn't going to share with some pleb.

She financed her washing machine and dryer on a 0% interest scheme and when her mother asked her if she could afford to pay it off in that time she apparently went beserk.  She also freaked out when she received a $700 strata fee, apparently not realising this is all a part of the joy of home ownership!

Oh, and mobile phones.  She always needed the latest, and it always had to be with the provider with the largest network coverage despite never leaving the metro area.

The last I heard (from an acquaintance) is that she's now doing 'internet work' involving 'video cameras' to make some extra money to pay the bills.  I honestly thought he was joking, but nope, apparently not, she is actually doing... something which may involve nakedness on camera for money.  Good for her for finding a revenue stream with some flexibility, though!

A few memorable quotes from her:
"I need to have two tv's in my house, coz otherwise it means you're failing at life"
"I drive everywhere because I'm afraid of public transport"
"Only losers cycle, coin"
On a Monday: "I've got about $20 to last me until Thursday [when we get paid]"
"Jeez, coin, CD's are so last century, why aren't you just getting a subscription to a streaming service?"  (she then looked at me like I'd grown two heads when I told her it was cheaper for me to just buy a CD once in a while instead of the recurring cost of streaming)

Conclusion:
After a while this all sort of became a bit of a sore point for me, because I admit I was a bit sour about how she had everything laid out on a platter for her by her parents and she was never capable of recognising that.  I honestly think this did affect our friendship, because she kept having to decline invitations out for things unless somebody else was paying - the reasons usually being related to being broke.  After a while I stopped inviting her out, because I realised material things like cars and shoes were always going to come before the people in her life.  It got too difficult for me to see 'ooh look at this consumer crap I've just bought' on social media only to be told that she didn't have the money to go out anywhere.

tl;dr friend makes succession of bad choices over a span of 3-4 years which ruins the relationship.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #4229 on: September 21, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
And me thinking that by now 0 tvs in the house is the "cool" number (I do have a projector, though)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4230 on: September 21, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »

I have been scolded by my co-workers for ruining everyone's lottery fun with suggestions like that. So I'm taking the middle path for a while.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4231 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
OK, here's one heard at work:

CW said: "I wish me and the wife get a kid soon, so I have a good excuse to buy a new, bigger car!".

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #4232 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Don't have one yet, but a coworker recently decided to start day-trading.  I warned him that transaction costs will eat him alive, but he thinks (like everyone else) that he can beat the market.  Should be an interesting story in a few weeks.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4233 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
she was a homeowner now, she wasn't going to share with some pleb.

That there is pure gold.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4234 on: September 21, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
And me thinking that by now 0 tvs in the house is the "cool" number (I do have a projector, though)
Ditto here.  We got rid of our (27" CRT) TV about three years ago.  After moving and not getting cable, we realized we never used the dang thing.  But a projector...well that's just fun!

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #4235 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
I told a coworker that I am going to start working part time next month.   

The coworker said "wow, the company is getting a great deal-- they save money and all you end up with is time."

I don't think he gets that time is the point...

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4236 on: September 22, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »
I told a coworker that I am going to start working part time next month.   

The coworker said "wow, the company is getting a great deal-- they save money and all you end up with is time."

I don't think he gets that time is the point...

O.o

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4237 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
Coworker and her husband just bought their six-year-old (SIX YEAR OLD!) a $50 designer purse for her birthday. But it's okay! It was originally priced for $100, so they got a great deal!

Starting them young...

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #4238 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »
Ditto here.  We got rid of our (27" CRT) TV about three years ago.  After moving and not getting cable, we realized we never used the dang thing.  But a projector...well that's just fun!

It is, although I bought it before encountering MMM (which means my savings rate was lower, and my investment decisions a worse, nothing crazy like consumer debt). Would be harder to justify it now, but we'll see when it breaks down or needs a lamp replacement what to do.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4239 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

Unless you are crossing into California, in which case you might have to stop for agricultural inspection, and at certain points in the Southwest you might have to answer immigration questions..

You have no reason to let them search your car. Do not give in. Just ask if you're being detained and if you're free to go. Continue until they're fed up with you and let you go on your way. Bonus if you video tape them.

http://www.flexyourrights.org/top-dhs-checkpoint-refusals/

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4240 on: September 22, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
^Thank you for posting the link.  There is no reason for these checkpoints, which are a waste of tax money.  Meanwhile, teachers in my state can leave for just about every other professional and be better paid.  It's disgraceful.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4241 on: September 23, 2014, 04:27:15 AM »
He tells me the following.

What's the psychological term where you transfer your fears onto someone else?

zing12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4242 on: September 23, 2014, 06:16:07 AM »

projection?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4243 on: September 23, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

projection?

That's a form of telepathy right?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4244 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »

projection?

Whatever it's called, it looks like your boss is worried for you about things very specific to his financial situation.  If he had any idea about your financial philosophy he wouldn't have brought up those examples while talking to you. He basically said "$90k isn't very much for you because I have expensive habits and my brother can't manage an emergency fund."

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4245 on: September 23, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

projection?

Whatever it's called, it looks like your boss is worried for you about things very specific to his financial situation.  If he had any idea about your financial philosophy he wouldn't have brought up those examples while talking to you. He basically said "$90k isn't very much for you because I have expensive habits and my brother can't manage an emergency fund."
Or his brother likes to fix his own boat, but doesn't want to go through the effort of explaining it to him.  It could be a mustachian parable!

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4246 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
OK, here's one heard at work:

CW said: "I wish me and the wife get a kid soon, so I have a good excuse to buy a new, bigger car!".
Yes, that makes so much sense!

zing12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4247 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »

A few years ago I discovered that through my bloodline, I was eligible to claim citizenship of Italy, so I'd be a dual US/Italy citizen. I did all the legwork to have it recognized which culminated in a trip to the Italian consulate (there are 10-15 of them around the US) nearest to me.

So one day last year I took off work and headed up to Detroit from OH. I got all my business taken care of at the consulate and I had some time to kill. I took in a few sights in Downtown Detroit and toured the Renaissance Center before deciding to head into Canada to check out Windsor.

I went through the tunnel and came up the other side. Keep in mind, the only other times I've ever left the US were twice... to Niagara Falls, as a child with my parents. So I don't know how this all works. She starts asking me the rapidfire questions:

Canadian: So what brings ya to Canada today eh?
Me: Oh, I was in Detroit for the day and I thought I'd just come over for a few hours and check out the riverfront and the casino, see what the city has to offer.
Canadian: Oh, that's nice. What are you doing in Michigan?

At this point, I didn't really feel like getting into the whole Italian citizenship thing. Not only did I feel they might think it was shady, I just didn't want to explain it again... over the past week, all my family, friends, coworkers, everyone had been asking me about it, and I just didn't want to have to explain it again. So that's when I decided to tell a white lie. The kind of white lie I'd tell anyone, when I didn't want to get into a certain topic. But border agents aren't anyone.

Canadian, without missing a beat: Who's your friend?
Me, realizing how big of a mistake I just made: Uh, I gotta be honest with you, I just lied, I'm not visiting a friend.

I go into the Italian citizenship thing now, sounding like a total fool. I then explain to her why I lied... I just didn't want to get into all that again. She thinks I'm a moron.

Canadian: So, let me ask you again, do you have any firearms in the car?
Me: No.
Canadian: Are you sure?
Me: Yes, you can search it if you want.
Canadian: Oh, don't worry, we will.

So, they tore my car apart while I went inside and told my life story in rapidfire to three separate agents who came in one after the other. The whole time, I'm thinking "I'm sorry that I ever wanted to leave you, America, sweet land of liberty. Please let me get back to America... America, I'll never say anything bad about you ever again, your healthcare system is way better than Canada's, I didn't mean it, I swear, and your foreign policy isn't that bad, I was just having a bad day. Please let me get back to America, sweet sweet America. I shall kiss your fertile soils upon my return and I'll never leave again, never ever again."

Finally, they let me in.

I was so anxious from the whole situation that all I really wanted to do was go back home. But, I spent about 30 minutes calming down and walking the riverfront, before heading back over that magnificent bridge, back to the land of the free, my beautiful, sweet, sweet stars and stripes.

And that is why I'm not sure I should ever go to Canada ever again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:14:27 PM by zing12 »

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4248 on: September 23, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
Not at work, but over the fence from the neighbor:

Next door neighbors are splitting and the wife decided this week to move out of state to live with her new man friend. In one ten minute conversation she told me that:

They are upside down on the house by $100,000, so they are walking away and letting the bank repossess. They are filing for bankruptcy -yay! No kidding, she is euphoric about getting out of house, out of debt, out of her marriage, and out of Maryland.

She is taking dog and moving to another state to live with new man. She is leaving her 25 year old unemployed son in the house until the bank tells him to get out. We are just thrilled since that means that he and his slacker druggie friends can build bonfires in the yard and sit out there smoking reefer and drinking beer EVERY NIGHT.

How long does it take for a bank to repossess and ask you to leave?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:05:44 AM by CU Tiger »

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4249 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
We had our retirement people come give a presentation today.  I don't know where to begin.  Pretty sure my ears started to bleed at one point.  No wonder nobody else gets it when you are fed this crap! At one point they talked about taking your pension early and he said "is it really worth leaving that much money on the table?"