Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252995 times)

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3950 on: August 30, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
That setup looks lovely, and then the dog could go in and out at will.

Around here the fly/black fly/mosquito season is from early spring to late fall.  If it is warm enough to have the doors open, it is warm enough for flies.  Mostly to go outside it is - openthedoorgetoutsideclosethedoorbeforethefliesgetin. Coming in is faster, because they will follow you in.  Of course wet summers are worse than dry ones.

However, I do leave my sliding door and screen door open for a few minutes in the late evening when I put the dog out for the last time - it lets cool air (say 15C) in the house and the flies have gone to bed.

Given my climate, do not ask me why I live here.  ;-)

Yikes, I looked at that picture and my first thought was - flies and mosquitoes in the house!!.  Screens were invented for a reason.

The SO and I have been looking around for a new place. We currently live in something like 900ft2. It was an amazing realization that the actual size wasn't the issue, it was the layout. When we look at places now, I immediately look for load-bearing walls. Ideally, I'd love something like the big glass walls that fold out and make a seamless integration to the outdoor living space, but that might be overkill. Kind of something like this:

I thought this a cool setup.
It doesn't need be left open when there's heavy bug population.
I often daydream of putting a garage door in our house so that I could totally open a whole wall.  But I am the outdoorsy type  - YMMV.
The modification I would do would be to add a flyscreen set of bifolds (or whatever they do for the fly screens) on top of the glass bifolds.  That way you can have bug free open doors, although where I am the flies die off in winter and don't come back until the wind brings them down when it gets warmer, so for parts of spring it tends to be pretty bug free and warm enough to have the doors open.
I've always wondered about the "fly doors" that I see in restaurants or bars. It's a fan that sits above the for and the flies won't go inside through the wind. Haven't looked into it too much, because gf isn't sold on the idea, plus, with my dogs and chickens, the Muscovy ducks keep flies to a minimum.
You live there because, even though it is freezing in winter and summer lasts one month, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3951 on: August 30, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »
You are perfectly right, how did you know?

You live there because, even though it is freezing in winter and summer lasts one month, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3952 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
So they'll sit on the sidelines with their smartphones displaying their banking app, hitting refresh until the deposit arrives and the balance updates.  Then they can feed their families!
Seriously?
Once I knew what to watch for, I started seeing it at our Schofield Barracks commissary.

A few months ago I got stuck behind a drama queen whose debit card was turned down.  After ranting & raving at the data terminal (and the cashier, who stared her down and offered to bring over the manager), she looked up her bank balance (on her iPhone, of course) and realized she was in the hole. 

No worries-- right there at the register, using her iPhone, she transferred cash from her home equity line of credit to her checking account.  Her two-thumb proficiency makes me suspect that she's done it a few times.  Under 90 seconds from capitulation to recapitalization.  Good to go!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #3953 on: August 31, 2014, 12:36:39 AM »
Wow, mortgaging your home to buy groceries.   

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3954 on: August 31, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »
I've always wondered about the "fly doors" that I see in restaurants or bars. It's a fan that sits above the for and the flies won't go inside through the wind. Haven't looked into it too much, because gf isn't sold on the idea, plus, with my dogs and chickens, the Muscovy ducks keep flies to a minimum.
Hmm, I haven't seen the "fly doors" I think your talking about.  I was thinking something like this: http://www.freedomscreens.com.au/
I was kind of meaning that the fresh air could come through the screen with the bifolds open.

Around here the fly/black fly/mosquito season is from early spring to late fall.  If it is warm enough to have the doors open, it is warm enough for flies.  Mostly to go outside it is - openthedoorgetoutsideclosethedoorbeforethefliesgetin. Coming in is faster, because they will follow you in.  Of course wet summers are worse than dry ones.

However, I do leave my sliding door and screen door open for a few minutes in the late evening when I put the dog out for the last time - it lets cool air (say 15C) in the house and the flies have gone to bed.
If you want to keep the bugs out and have the solid doors open if you don't have them already I would put a security door with a fly screen on to the hole with the front door e.g. http://northshorealuminium.com.au/pages/securitydoors.htm (Note there are more attractive doors than these).  And one for the sliding door e.g. http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/1210/gja_151210.htm .  I believe fly screens for sliding doors are fairly standard issue here, and the security doors are a high probability.  I could also be misreading this and the screen door be one with a fly screen door!

The bugs don't dissapear after dark here.  Moths in particular and I think flies tend to be attracted to the lights.  For a source of amusement the Bogong Moth invasion of 2013 at Parliament House http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-05/bogong-moths-invade-parliament-house-canberra-storify/5071360 .  Invasions are fairly regular apparently.  Also, Bogong Moths are edibile if you wish to eat them.  I can't remember if thats raw or cooked or both though.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3955 on: August 31, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »
Wow, mortgaging your home to buy groceries.
Yep...somewhere reds light should be flashing and a siren blaring!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3956 on: August 31, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
So they'll sit on the sidelines with their smartphones displaying their banking app, hitting refresh until the deposit arrives and the balance updates.  Then they can feed their families!
Seriously?
Once I knew what to watch for, I started seeing it at our Schofield Barracks commissary.

A few months ago I got stuck behind a drama queen whose debit card was turned down.  After ranting & raving at the data terminal (and the cashier, who stared her down and offered to bring over the manager), she looked up her bank balance (on her iPhone, of course) and realized she was in the hole. 

No worries-- right there at the register, using her iPhone, she transferred cash from her home equity line of credit to her checking account.  Her two-thumb proficiency makes me suspect that she's done it a few times.  Under 90 seconds from capitulation to recapitalization.  Good to go!

I have a hard time shaking my head at this woman, though. I pity her - in the same way I would pity a drug user who just miraculously found her next hit.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #3957 on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

I live in upstate NY and travel north more than I travel south on vacation!

jordanread

« Reply #3958 on: August 31, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »
Hmm, I haven't seen the "fly doors" I think your talking about.  I was thinking something like this: http://www.freedomscreens.com.au/
I was kind of meaning that the fresh air could come through the screen with the bifolds open.

If you want to keep the bugs out and have the solid doors open if you don't have them already I would put a security door with a fly screen on to the hole with the front door e.g. http://northshorealuminium.com.au/pages/securitydoors.htm (Note there are more attractive doors than these).  And one for the sliding door e.g. http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/1210/gja_151210.htm .  I believe fly screens for sliding doors are fairly standard issue here, and the security doors are a high probability.  I could also be misreading this and the screen door be one with a fly screen door!

The bugs don't dissapear after dark here.  Moths in particular and I think flies tend to be attracted to the lights.  For a source of amusement the Bogong Moth invasion of 2013 at Parliament House http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-05/bogong-moths-invade-parliament-house-canberra-storify/5071360 .  Invasions are fairly regular apparently.  Also, Bogong Moths are edibile if you wish to eat them.  I can't remember if thats raw or cooked or both though.
I haven't checked those links yet, but I got my terminology wrong. The thing I'm thinking about is called air curtains. And I don't have this yet. If o do it will be in the next house, but I'll have to convince the SO. She thinks they are all inefficient.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3959 on: August 31, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
We are definitely getting OT here, but so what?  It's a long weekend, we are all relaxing enjoying our Wild Vines, and our biggest worry is insects in the house, right?

We have moths at night, but I don't mind a moth or two in the house.  Once it is full dark the mosquitoes are mostly gone.  We have yellow lights outside the doors, and they do not attract insects the way white ones do.  If the indoor lights are off, very few insects come in.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3960 on: August 31, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »
Not at work, but family (rather stick it here in the long list of awesome fails).

My SOs brother is planning a trip to FL for a soccer tournament for his son. His daughter wants to go. He tells her he she can't go cause there's no money to pay for her ticket. She says "but daddy, you're supposed to make it rain!" She's 8, and will be a super soccer mom consumer like her mom. Before this, the dad was complaining that he had to get a renal car in FL despite there being free transport to and from the tournament from the all inclusive because he goes "where my feet wants."

Some background on them. He's a mechanic, owes his parents about 50k, and his parents pay for insurance and everything. He lives in  a McMansion. His wife is on disability for no good reason (she had cancer and now doesn't want to work). They have 2 SUVs (escalades I think). They are underwater on their mortgage and are screwed financially. Beyond hair in fire emergency debt.

They can't make much more than my SO and I do together (50k after taxes), and they support this upper middle class existence that would only be possible on a lawyer's salary. Feels entirely alien to me.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #3961 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
His daughter wants to go. He tells her he she can't go cause there's no money to pay for her ticket. She says "but daddy, you're supposed to make it rain!" She's 8, and will be a super soccer mom consumer like her mom.

HAHAHAHAH

Super soccer mom, that's pretty hilarious.
Though, that was a pretty funny thing for her to say.. "make it
Rain."
I couldn't say if she's gotten the right upbriniging,
Probably, she'll be ok, but they should
Prepare for the worst, that all this 'make it rain' may
Enable her love of dollar bills, which would
Require her to have a career where she would see a lot of them.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3962 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:59 AM »
His daughter wants to go. He tells her he she can't go cause there's no money to pay for her ticket. She says "but daddy, you're supposed to make it rain!" She's 8, and will be a super soccer mom consumer like her mom.

HAHAHAHAH

Rain."

It gets better. This 8 year old is a super antimustachian. After this conversation, the family and my SO and her mother went to walmart. On the way, this 8 year old hits up her grandmother for $10 to buy something. Father says "who is asking for $10?" When he realizes it's the 8 year old, he starts to tell her how bad of an idea that is when his wife tell him to be quiet. It's ok to ask for money.

Full disclosure, this antimustachian asks for money almost every time she comes over. Her grandma is like a credit card she'll never pay back...

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3963 on: September 01, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »

I live in upstate NY and travel north more than I travel south on vacation!

Long as we are all cool going OT, an option might be to screen in the patio like they do all over Florida.  Not sure if there would be weather/HOA restrictions.  if you have not seen them google "florida screened in patio" basically a big aluminum frame over the patio with screens in place of walls and windows.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3964 on: September 01, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »

I haven't checked those links yet, but I got my terminology wrong. The thing I'm thinking about is called air curtains. And I don't have this yet. If o do it will be in the next house, but I'll have to convince the SO. She thinks they are all inefficient.

i tell ya what, a month in the jungle in costa rica and i am ready to sing the praises of fans to whoever will listen, to keep bugs away. it is the only thing that will do it. the house we rented in CR was largely open-air, but it had great overhead fans, and we kept them on all the time. we could see clouds of mosquitos hovering just beyond the reach of the fan, but they couldn't come in to get us. it was rad. my next home will have some sort of covered outside with overhead fans area, because it is the best thing to be able to sit outside in all kinds of weather, bug free, and just be in nature. it does drown out the sounds of the forest/jungle/whatever but to me it's worth it.

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3965 on: September 01, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
I live in NoVA, but up until last Friday I worked in DC. I'm starting my new job Wednesday, which will be 13 miles from my house, a fairly reasonable biking distance. I'm eating my last ever lunch at this company, sitting around with coworkers chatting. I mention I'm looking forward to this new job since I'll be able to bike to work, and immediately everyone starts ranting about how much they hate cyclists. Then one woman says "I can't bike to work, I live too far away." I ask where she lives, and she says "Woodbridge." She apparently drives every day from Woodbridge, VA to DC, about 30 miles, then pays for parking in a $14/day lot. Someone asks her "but you live there because your husband works around there, right?" and she says "no, he works at the Navy Yard." The Navy Yard is also in DC, and they both commute separately 30 miles each way every day. She said it takes her an hour on a good day. I asked why doesn't she just move closer, and she said "we can't afford housing any closer, and besides, my husband already had the house, so it's just easier." I badly wanted to deliver a facepunch but lucky for her she was on the other side of the table and I couldn't reach.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3966 on: September 01, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
I live in NoVA, but up until last Friday I worked in DC. I'm starting my new job Wednesday, which will be 13 miles from my house, a fairly reasonable biking distance. I'm eating my last ever lunch at this company, sitting around with coworkers chatting. I mention I'm looking forward to this new job since I'll be able to bike to work, and immediately everyone starts ranting about how much they hate cyclists. Then one woman says "I can't bike to work, I live too far away." I ask where she lives, and she says "Woodbridge." She apparently drives every day from Woodbridge, VA to DC, about 30 miles, then pays for parking in a $14/day lot. Someone asks her "but you live there because your husband works around there, right?" and she says "no, he works at the Navy Yard." The Navy Yard is also in DC, and they both commute separately 30 miles each way every day. She said it takes her an hour on a good day. I asked why doesn't she just move closer, and she said "we can't afford housing any closer, and besides, my husband already had the house, so it's just easier." I badly wanted to deliver a facepunch but lucky for her she was on the other side of the table and I couldn't reach.
I'll defend the woman on this one since she can't really control it. 30 miles each way is a heck of a bike commute so I can understand why she would not be able to do it. Also since the husband already had the house perhaps financially getting a house in DC, which is very expensive is not a feasible option. I don't know housing costs in Woodbridge, VA but I imagine it is cheaper than right in DC.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3967 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

I mean I can understand the inertia aspect - it's hard to uplift your family, particularly if they have kids, to move closer to work. when you already own your home. But the financial cost each of them commuting 60 miles round trip is nuts! If we believe the IRS reimbursal rate of .56 cents per mile reflects the average cost per mile of the average car on the road, then they're paying $16800 a year for their commute, and she's paying $3500 a year for parking. That's $20,300 a year!!! After tax!!
**head explodes**

Of course, they could have fuel efficient cars that make these numbers better. But I'm not sure how much of that .56 cents per mile is gasoline costs.

Man, if they could just drive in one car together, they could save $8400 a year.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #3968 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »

I mean I can understand the inertia aspect - it's hard to uplift your family, particularly if they have kids, to move closer to work. when you already own your home. But the financial cost each of them commuting 60 miles round trip is nuts! If we believe the IRS reimbursal rate of .56 cents per mile reflects the average cost per mile of the average car on the road, then they're paying $16800 a year for their commute, and she's paying $3500 a year for parking. That's $20,300 a year!!! After tax!!
**head explodes**

Of course, they could have fuel efficient cars that make these numbers better. But I'm not sure how much of that .56 cents per mile is gasoline costs.

Man, if they could just drive in one car together, they could save $8400 a year.
I have no idea how much housing costs in DC, but say closer to work it costs 800k in one location, but 600k in the other location.  It would still take around 10 years to break even (I am ignoring interest rates, taxes etc and just dividing 200k by 20k).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3969 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:55 AM »

**head explodes**

I have no idea how much housing costs in DC, but say closer to work it costs 800k in one location, but 600k in the other location.  It would still take around 10 years to break even (I am ignoring interest rates, taxes etc and just dividing 200k by 20k).

Without there numbers we really cant say, they could be 100k under water or just blind to the true cost of commuting, or his elderly mother lives next door, no way to say.  Had a friend that almost liked her long commute, it was the only alone time she got - not that this made any sense but that was where her head was.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3970 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:20 AM »

I've been known in the past to make risotto or pasta dishes for the sole purpose of being able to bake the leftovers with grated cheese on top the next day. YUM YUM YUM

This is why the 3rd time tastes even better, and so on.  Keep adding cheese and baking.  By the time you get to 10th leftovers, it's 99.9% baked cheese.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3971 on: September 02, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »

**head explodes**

Without there numbers we really cant say, they could be 100k under water or just blind to the true cost of commuting, or his elderly mother lives next door, no way to say.  Had a friend that almost liked her long commute, it was the only alone time she got - not that this made any sense but that was where her head was.

**head explodes**

Notice how I said if they could just drive in one car together, they could save $8400 a year. I don't know what their actual numbers are, but they could save thousands a year if even one of them found an alternative way to get to work. And this wouldn't require moving closer to work.
I find it somewhat to believe (though I understand it's still possible) that an alternative method of getting to work does not exist for both of them. Can they carpool together to work? Can one of them take the train? Can one of them take the bus to the Metro? Or drive to the Metro station? Or carpool with coworkers from work? Or drive say halfway, and then bike the rest?
Though if one of them actually likes the long commute, I wouldn't quite comprehend that but I would probably drop the argument.

mattchuck2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3972 on: September 02, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »
Quote from: Kriegsspiel
Rain."

Don't know if anyone else caught that, but I did. Well played.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #3973 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
My colleague told me of her friend who buys stuff from web stores and doesn't bother to return the wrong size ones "Because it's too much trouble". Apparently she has quite a big storage of unused shoes and clothes...
Sounds like a good opportunity- especially if they still have tags & such, offer to buy them for pennies on the dollar and resell them. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking... What area of the US are you? I would love to buy it all! :)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3974 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
My mom (who is not a mustachian!) tells the thirty-five year old story with horror in her voice like it was yesterday: she put out cheese, crackers, and grapes for a visiting Relative, and at the end of the hour, Relative helped carry things into the kitchen - and slid the entire tray into the garbage because it had "been out." Mom dove into the garbage and rinsed off the grapes, and every year at Thanksgiving would loudly announce that relative didn't need to help clean up because day-after turkey-stuffing-cranberry sandwiches are the best thing ever and if she threw the leftovers in the trash there would be blood. They laughed about it every year and neither swayed the other - Relative was a good sport about the joke but thought we were crazy for eating food a second time.

Thanksgiving is a fantastic meal the day of, but there is nothing like it the next day. My family is HUGE on Christmas, and the Friday after Thanksgiving is the day we set up Christmas decorations and everything, and lunch/dinner (it's always a meal at around 3) is always leftovers from Thanksgiving. I swear everything tastes better the next day. A friend of mine's mother actually puts everything (turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc) into a blender and makes "cold Thanksgiving stew." Not my cup of tea, but my friend loves it. I think it's all about what you grew up with and how excited your family made you about leftovers.

As for non-holiday leftovers, I cook usually once, maybe twice a week for myself. When I get home from work I'm tired and cranky and I usually don't want to cook. So I make a big batch of something on Sunday and eat that through Wednesday. Thurs-Sat I'm usually with my boyfriend and we alternate between cooking or splitting going out. I'm slowly trying to steer him towards cooking more often :)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3975 on: September 02, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
I'll defend the woman on this one since she can't really control it. 30 miles each way is a heck of a bike commute so I can understand why she would not be able to do it. Also since the husband already had the house perhaps financially getting a house in DC, which is very expensive is not a feasible option. I don't know housing costs in Woodbridge, VA but I imagine it is cheaper than right in DC.

And, do they have kids? DC schools are generally awful . VA ones might be better so they save thousands on private school, for many, many years. And you're probably paying more in DC for a cramped townhouse than a single family in VA.

I agree it's stupid that they can't carpool though.

Goldie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3976 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
My mom (who is not a mustachian!) tells the thirty-five year old story with horror in her voice like it was yesterday: she put out cheese, crackers, and grapes for a visiting Relative, and at the end of the hour, Relative helped carry things into the kitchen - and slid the entire tray into the garbage because it had "been out." Mom dove into the garbage and rinsed off the grapes, and every year at Thanksgiving would loudly announce that relative didn't need to help clean up because day-after turkey-stuffing-cranberry sandwiches are the best thing ever and if she threw the leftovers in the trash there would be blood. They laughed about it every year and neither swayed the other - Relative was a good sport about the joke but thought we were crazy for eating food a second time.

Thanksgiving is a fantastic meal the day of, but there is nothing like it the next day. My family is HUGE on Christmas, and the Friday after Thanksgiving is the day we set up Christmas decorations and everything, and lunch/dinner (it's always a meal at around 3) is always leftovers from Thanksgiving. I swear everything tastes better the next day. A friend of mine's mother actually puts everything (turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc) into a blender and makes "cold Thanksgiving stew." Not my cup of tea, but my friend loves it. I think it's all about what you grew up with and how excited your family made you about leftovers.

As for non-holiday leftovers, I cook usually once, maybe twice a week for myself. When I get home from work I'm tired and cranky and I usually don't want to cook. So I make a big batch of something on Sunday and eat that through Wednesday. Thurs-Sat I'm usually with my boyfriend and we alternate between cooking or splitting going out. I'm slowly trying to steer him towards cooking more often :)
What did that relative think of grapes from the grocery store? Those sit out all the time too!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3977 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »

**head explodes**

**head explodes**

Notice how I said if they could just drive in one car together, they could save $8400 a year. I don't know what their actual numbers are, but they could save thousands a year if even one of them found an alternative way to get to work. And this wouldn't require moving closer to work.
I find it somewhat (EDIT: forgot the word difficult) to believe (though I understand it's still possible) that an alternative method of getting to work does not exist for both of them. Can they carpool together to work? Can one of them take the train? Can one of them take the bus to the Metro? Or drive to the Metro station? Or carpool with coworkers from work? Or drive say halfway, and then bike the rest?
Though if one of them actually likes the long commute, I wouldn't quite comprehend that but I would probably drop the argument.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3978 on: September 02, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »

Wow, that original story is unbelievably bizarre!! I'm pretty sure leftover Thanksgiving turkey with mayo on good sliced bread is one of the best foods of all time.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3979 on: September 02, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
Not at work, but family (rather stick it here in the long list of awesome fails).

My SOs brother is planning a trip to FL for a soccer tournament for his son. His daughter wants to go. He tells her he she can't go cause there's no money to pay for her ticket. She says "but daddy, you're supposed to make it rain!" She's 8, and will be a super soccer mom consumer like her mom. Before this, the dad was complaining that he had to get a renal car in FL despite there being free transport to and from the tournament from the all inclusive because he goes "where my feet wants."

Some background on them. He's a mechanic, owes his parents about 50k, and his parents pay for insurance and everything. He lives in  a McMansion. His wife is on disability for no good reason (she had cancer and now doesn't want to work). They have 2 SUVs (escalades I think). They are underwater on their mortgage and are screwed financially. Beyond hair in fire emergency debt.

They can't make much more than my SO and I do together (50k after taxes), and they support this upper middle class existence that would only be possible on a lawyer's salary. Feels entirely alien to me.

I think this is made funnier by the fact that FL is a state where it's quite cheap to rent a car. BF and I rented one in Tampa for about $16/day about a year ago. Apparently it's closer to $17/day now. Of course if you *need* a luxury SUV, that's probably like $100/day after gas. :P  Anyhow, it's nothing compared to $50+/day before fees that we experienced on different trip, to DC :(

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3980 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »

And, do they have kids? DC schools are generally awful . VA ones might be better so they save thousands on private school, for many, many years. And you're probably paying more in DC for a cramped townhouse than a single family in VA.

Nope, no kids. Just her and her husband and a couple dogs. Of course they'll pay more for a cramped townhouse in DC-- but as another poster pointed out they'd be saving $20k/year in commuting costs alone. After just 5 years they could break even on an extra $100k of house. Even if they just moved to southern MD and took the train they'd be so much better off.

30 miles each way is a heck of a bike commute

I wasn't suggesting she bike commute 30 miles; rather that 30 miles of commute in any form is ridiculous!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3981 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »

Nope, no kids. Just her and her husband and a couple dogs. Of course they'll pay more for a cramped townhouse in DC-- but as another poster pointed out they'd be saving $20k/year in commuting costs alone. After just 5 years they could break even on an extra $100k of house. Even if they just moved to southern MD and took the train they'd be so much better off.

30 miles each way is a heck of a bike commute

I wasn't suggesting she bike commute 30 miles; rather that 30 miles of commute in any form is ridiculous!
I did look up where they live, and holyshit that is far! Even moving a bit closer sounds like a good idea. DC Metro is pretty good.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3982 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
I knew a guy at work who commuted from Los Banos to San Jose everyday.

That's 85 miles and 2 hours each way.  I just didn't get it.

dplasters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3983 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
The DC Metro Area is famous for how far people commute.  I have worked with people whom drive in from West Virginia, Richmond and Annapolis.  It is crazy.

DC has much higher property tax than Virginia (or at least Fairfax County).  A similar priced home in hundreds of dollars more a month in DC just because of the escrow.  There is a very very busy bike path that goes from the Franconia/Alexandria area of VA into DC.  There are many places in VA where a 15 mile bike commute can be done pretty easily at a leisurely pace on mostly bike paths.

Its two people and two dogs.  1,000 Sq/ft is luxury and you can easily afford to live close enough to bike at that point.  The area around the Huntington Metro that isn't part of Belle Haven Country Club comes to mind.  Lots of smaller older 2/3 bedroom places.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3984 on: September 02, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
My dad used to commute to DC from our Annapolis suburb in the early eighties.  But... he carpooled with 3 other people. They all took turns and they became great friends.  One of his carpool buddies was Dorothea.  She was a lawyer.  She was one of 2 women in her graduating class from law school in the early forties.  She became a family fixture and had a profound effect on me and my siblings growing up.  Her favorite phrase was, "Don't give me that shit!"  I loved her. 

Unexpectedly good things can come from frugal solutions. 

jordanread

« Reply #3985 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »

There is a very very busy bike path
And that, my friends, is what it's all about.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3986 on: September 02, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »

A decent 3-bedroom house can be had for under 150k. A similar house in or near SJ costs, what, 700k? A cool million?

So he essentially picked up a part time job of commuting. In return, his house is 5x cheaper. The ~600k difference or so in price may well be worth the commute. According to fed rates of 56 cents a mile, that's about $25k a year plus sanity... you do the math, ~600k vs ~25k a year.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3987 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »

A decent 3-bedroom house can be had for under 150k. A similar house in or near SJ costs, what, 700k? A cool million?

So he essentially picked up a part time job of commuting. In return, his house is 5x cheaper. The ~600k difference or so in price may well be worth the commute. According to fed rates of 56 cents a mile, that's about $25k a year plus sanity... you do the math, ~600k vs ~25k a year.

But he has to sit in the car 4 hours a day.  I just couldn't do it.  Gilroy maybe - but no - I couldn't handle that either. 

I will grant you that the cost of housing in San Joser is crazy expensive.  I just think I'd cycle through other alternatives such as renting out a room in our house or downsizing in a major way to commuting 170 miles in a car everyday.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3988 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »

Assuming $600k more mortgage at 4% works out to $24k extra in interest for a year. So the commuting costs $1k more per year plus 1,000 hours spent in a car per year... I'll take the expensive, closer house, thank you.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3989 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »
Long commutes (>45 min) are kind of crazy, but in many cases there is no reasonable alternative. I know a lot of coworkers who commute about an hour and few up to 1 1/2 hours one way.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #3990 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Assuming $600k more mortgage at 4% works out to $24k extra in interest for a year. So the commuting costs $1k more per year plus 1,000 hours spent in a car per year... I'll take the expensive, closer house, thank you.

But 600k in Los Banos probably gets you a 4 bedroom house on a big lot while 600k in San Jose gets you a 2 or 3 bedroom condo in maybe a decent part of town.  I don't advocate the commute but it's more than just comparing dollar cost.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #3991 on: September 03, 2014, 05:25:09 AM »
My dad used to commute to DC from our Annapolis suburb in the early eighties.  But... he carpooled with 3 other people. They all took turns and they became great friends.  One of his carpool buddies was Dorothea.  She was a lawyer.  She was one of 2 women in her graduating class from law school in the early forties.  She became a family fixture and had a profound effect on me and my siblings growing up.  Her favorite phrase was, "Don't give me that shit!"  I loved her. 

Unexpectedly good things can come from frugal solutions.

I LOVE this!

This woman sounds like an SNL character, in the best of ways.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3992 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »
Woman co-worker, aged somewhere in her late thirties, hates her job. Loudly and at every opportunity tells me that she begs her husband to "let her quit." He says they cannot afford that.

Ignoring the fact that her relationship with her husband sounds like a horrorshow, It makes me nuts, because she and her husband fly to Vegas twice a year for a week of shows and gambling. Since we in Maryland legalized table games, they also go to local casinos a couple of times a month.

She said "If he would let me quit work, I would not need to go gambling. But I have to do something I enjoy to make up for working here." At which point my head imploded and I walked away mumbling to myself and weeping softly.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3993 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »

But 600k in Los Banos probably gets you a 4 bedroom house on a big lot while 600k in San Jose gets you a 2 or 3 bedroom condo in maybe a decent part of town.  I don't advocate the commute but it's more than just comparing dollar cost.

The initial premise was equivalent houses. $750k in San Jose, $150k in Los Banos.

Keeping the amount spent on a house the same is a different argument. In that case you can just ask yourself if the $25k plus 1,000 hours of your time per year is worth the bigger house. Of course, if you're considering a $600k house in Los Banos, you could afford a $1.2 million house in San Jose for the same amount once you factor in the cost of commuting.

Alternatively, you could look for a job in Los Banos and get the cheaper house and short commute...

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #3994 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »

[/quote]

The initial premise was equivalent houses. $750k in San Jose, $150k in Los Banos.

Keeping the amount spent on a house the same is a different argument. In that case you can just ask yourself if the $25k plus 1,000 hours of your time per year is worth the bigger house. Of course, if you're considering a $600k house in Los Banos, you could afford a $1.2 million house in San Jose for the same amount once you factor in the cost of commuting.

Alternatively, you could look for a job in Los Banos and get the cheaper house and short commute...
[/quote]

So if you're talking about a $600k cost disparity, you can't look at the cost of interest alone, right?  Because you're getting an equivalent house for ($600kcheaper+interest)-(commute hours+commute costs).  Again, I don't disagree that commuting is silly, but the cost is not $1000/year+4 hours/daily difference. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3995 on: September 03, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
So if you're talking about a $600k cost disparity, you can't look at the cost of interest alone, right?  Because you're getting an equivalent house for ($600kcheaper+interest)-(commute hours+commute costs).  Again, I don't disagree that commuting is silly, but the cost is not $1000/year+4 hours/daily difference.

You would also need to consider property tax ($8k/yr extra?) and insurance ($3k/yr extra?) plus some other minor factors. I assume utilities and maintenance would be similar for similar sized houses. So taking that into account it would cost an additional $10k/year for the San Jose location. So your part time job of commuting would be earning you $10/hour.

I haven't actually gone and looked at housing costs in the two areas, I just went off the previous assumptions. Perhaps there is a third option which is a nicer compromise of commuting distance vs housing costs?

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #3996 on: September 03, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Not at my work but DH's office.  He is a senior warrant officer working in a place where there are lots of federal employees; most of whom are themselves retired military working second careers.

He was in a conversation with a retired CW5 working in a DOD GS12/13 situation.  His wife is also a GS employee...so with the pension and both incomes, one could imagine that they are pulling in a combined $150K per year, easy.  But he has expensive hobbies...racing cars.  Built a Cobra kit, has a Hot Rod VW....built a shop last year and installed his own paint booth.  It has never been used.

Get this though.  DH is a motor head, but we don't have cable so don't watch races or anything like that.  He just loves fixing cars.  When co-worker told him it was time to join the rest of the 21st century and get cable, DH simply said that rather than watch cars go round in circles, he would rather watch his portfolio growth exceed his income.  Co-worker was absolutely floored. 

Poor guy couldn't even fathom the idea that if he and the missus just stopped spending, he could stop working.  Co-worker is easily 15 years older than my DH and has no plans to retire from his second career.  He is just that far underwater.

We have 5 years to FIRE....

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3997 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Perhaps there is a third option which is a nicer compromise of commuting distance vs housing costs?

It's all a fun spectrum of things you can do, and things people do. If you think of house prices like a heat map, you get a lot of choice into cost vs distance along the spectrum. In addition, this being the bay area, if you're in tech, you have a lot of options open to reduce the burden of commuting. For example, as people get more senior, many start to work from home some days - up to where they're only in the office two days a week. That right there cuts out 60% of the commute cost. Many companies offer buses; they could drive to Gilroy or Morgan Hill and take the bus; this doesn't save time, but it saves 25-50% of the commute cost. Then of course there's carpooling, which you can do anywhere, but makes much more sense 85 miles away than 10 miles away - where I live, carpooling would likely double or triple my commute time so it's a no-go. For them, it might add on an extra five or ten minutes but save half the gas cost, which may well be $20-30 a day. Let's see, now we move on to the realm of fun tricks I've seen: you could fly. Los Banos to Morgan Hill would take only about 20 minutes, though there is the time to get the plane on and off the runway. Or, here's a much simpler alternative: drive during off-peak hours; your two-hour commute turns into an hour fifteen, saving you a hell of a lot of sanity (3/8ths the time saved). And to save on cost, drive a car that doesn't eat 56 cents a mile; plenty are more in the 30 range.

In summary, there are a _lot_ of ways to make it work in such a way that you're not losing money. I won't comment on the loss of sanity...

If it was me in my current situation, it'd be a fairly trivial solution - I'd just drive in after traffic (getting to work around 11) and leave after traffic (10ish); since I love driving, and I know that particular drive is pretty nice when you're relaxed and not in traffic, I could do it. Downside would be less of a social life. I don't feel like doing that, hence, I rent.

I'm not saying it's the best solution, I'm saying that purely money-wise, you can make it work and come out ahead, if you're willing to pick up a part-time job of commuting to and from work in exchange for that money.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3998 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
Woman co-worker, aged somewhere in her late thirties, hates her job. Loudly and at every opportunity tells me that she begs her husband to "let her quit." He says they cannot afford that.

Ignoring the fact that her relationship with her husband sounds like a horrorshow, It makes me nuts, because she and her husband fly to Vegas twice a year for a week of shows and gambling. Since we in Maryland legalized table games, they also go to local casinos a couple of times a month.

She said "If he would let me quit work, I would not need to go gambling. But I have to do something I enjoy to make up for working here." At which point my head imploded and I walked away mumbling to myself and weeping softly.

That is sad.  I too hear a number of coworkers who don't want to work say their SO won't let them quit, and then they spend money like crazy elsewhere.  Sad.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #3999 on: September 03, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »

That is sad.  I too hear a number of coworkers who don't want to work say their SO won't let them quit, and then they spend money like crazy elsewhere.  Sad.

I suspect a lot of people SAY that they wouldn't do "foolish thing X" with their money if only they weren't in such a crappy job / had to work / etc.  I believe however that the vast majority of them would - be it gambling, drinking to excess, eating out a lot because they "work too much to cook", "need the expensive vacation because I work so hard", etc, etc, etc.  Its just rationalizing behavior that they know subconsciously is self destructive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!