Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4774993 times)

marty998

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3550 on: August 02, 2014, 04:35:12 AM »
Ok this is from my friend's workplace:

She does the accounting there. The big boss came and asked her to make him a new monthly salary cheque, cause he found an old one that he never deposited and it was like two years old.

0.o

And he makes a shit ton of money. So much, apparently, that you don't notice if you don't get paid one month! Wtf.

She told him that because he was one of the signers/owners, he could write himself a cheque. Lol.

(Apologies if I got the lingo wrong, I'm now accountant... But you get the gist!)

Shit ton is accounting lingo?

Inquizator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3551 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:41 AM »
you don't notice if you don't get paid one month!

That should be in the "Mustachian People Problems" thread!

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3552 on: August 02, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »
you don't notice if you don't get paid one month!

That should be in the "Mustachian People Problems" thread!

Not sure this is or is not Mustachian, all it really is is having a few months income/expenses in cash so that no bills bounce and not tracking your finances very closely.  You could be making 200k and spending 180k but so long as you had an emergency fund to absorb the missing check not really notice.  Also if it is normal for large sums to go in and out of your checking (reimbursable work expenses, oddly timed dividends, large personal expenses, rental income?) or monthly pay normally varying significantly (commission?) a pay check could get lost in the noise. 

EDIT: On the other hand maybe he is Mustachian and saves 70% of his pay but thought he transferred & invested the pay but really never deposited it.

To easy for this to go either way, I am sure plenty here have brain farted on something financial over the years; not to long ago I double paid a large cc balance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:53:29 AM by AlanStache »
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3553 on: August 02, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
All that is true, but at the very least he is not living pay check to pay check on a large salary. Plenty of people who manage that.

lifejoy

• Handlebar Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3554 on: August 02, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »
Wow, bad typo. I am *not an accountant

lifejoy

• Handlebar Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3555 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
I see your points. But doesn't mustachian = efficiency? And the lost interest on the money... Isn't that wasteful, in a way?

k-vette

• Stubble
« Reply #3556 on: August 02, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
correct funny ... not rude... sorry if it was misconstrued  ...

I definitely got "rude" out of that, mostly due to the use of the word "asshole." thanks for clarifying :)

oh the peddling his link so he can get a free service that can be done with knowledge of excel to rope someone else into a monthly payment no matter how small was meant as a dickish statement ... the rest was meant in humor...

I dont think you really know what YNAB is.  There is no monthly fee.  Just clarification for anyone reading.  And my excel sheet sure as heck cant sync with my and my wifes phone.  (Possible, but overly complicated)  I paid $15 ONE time for the software.
“Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had a supply of food and clothing and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have a supply of debt and are food-free.”  President Thomas S. Monson

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3557 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

If you ever want to sell it... :)

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.

I'd be inclined to put the most fuel efficient small engine into the chassis so you have a cool looking car that is cheaper to drive around.  But I'm weird.  As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #3558 on: August 02, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
I'd be inclined to put the most fuel efficient small engine into the chassis so you have a cool looking car that is cheaper to drive around.  But I'm weird.  As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.

As opposed to taking a Viper engine and putting it into the Tempo creating the incomparable Temper.  =p  You're reverse sleeper idea is kind of funny to me though.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #3559 on: August 02, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

If you ever want to sell it... :)

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.

I love cars, and I know if there was one area where I could blow my mustachian street cred it would be on cars.  When some people say, "I don't even know how I'd spend a million dollars."  I just think, "I know how I would, it would all be on cars."

Anyway,  if you ever did this, I know at least one thing would happen, you would make a lifetime friend in whichever sixteen year old you found with a Tempo and traded engines from your Viper.  Of course they haven't made the Tempo in like 20 years, so your Tempo engine is probably going to get harder and harder to find.  You'd be tooting around in your 40mpg Viper, and he'd be winning pink slips at every stoplight in Canada with his V10 Tempo.

Just the though is making me chuckle.  They did make a Tempo with a 4 speed manual trans at one point, wonder if that little gearbox could handle 500+hp.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3560 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »
As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.
My daughter used to fantasize about buying a late-model Mustang and converting it to an EV.  She got this idea from the Ford dealership next to the Goodwill, where she shopped at least once a month.  The Goodwill, not the Ford dealer.

But then the Tesla came out, and she now has a new goal in life...
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.
I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention...

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3561 on: August 02, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.
My daughter used to fantasize about buying a late-model Mustang and converting it to an EV.  She got this idea from the Ford dealership next to the Goodwill, where she shopped at least once a month.  The Goodwill, not the Ford dealer.

Ive always been a fan of these guys: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

I love watching guys in old muscle cars and decked out european sports cars get abused by a 1972 Datsun.
In the path of our happiness shall we find the learning for which we have chosen this lifetime.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3562 on: August 03, 2014, 01:29:14 AM »

Ive always been a fan of these guys: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

I love watching guys in old muscle cars and decked out european sports cars get abused by a 1972 Datsun.

That would be me. Except my Datsun was built in 1965, and is painted granny-spec pink. All the more satisfying to blow off the bogans in their V8s at the lights. :)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3563 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
wonder if that little gearbox could handle 500+hp.

No. No, it can't.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3564 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but my car-related dream is to get a truck that looks like kinda like this:

(point being I want it to be from the 70s or 80s and have stripes) and convert it to run on biodiesel. and then I want one of those rear window decals with wolves howling at the moon on it. the only downside I can see is that I kinda want a backseat for my dogs. also I know less than nothing about cars, so this dream may not even be feasible...

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3565 on: August 04, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but my car-related dream is to get a truck that looks like kinda like this:

(point being I want it to be from the 70s or 80s and have stripes) and convert it to run on biodiesel. and then I want one of those rear window decals with wolves howling at the moon on it. the only downside I can see is that I kinda want a backseat for my dogs. also I know less than nothing about cars, so this dream may not even be feasible...

I used to own that model truck.  White with grey and black stripes.  It was a blast to drive and fairly economical.  I sold it after we learned we were going to have a baby.  No room for two passengers and a car seat.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3566 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
At dinner last night with my coworkers the conversation started with how much cable companies suck and turned to investing somehow.  The captain next to me turned and said "401k? I've heard of that, but I don't really know what it is."  I gave him the basic definition and asked if he knew what the TSP was. "Oh yeah, I know about that.  My wife takes care of the investing stuff."  He said he put a couple hundred a month into it, but knew nothing beyond that.  He didn't know what the limit was or how the thing worked.  I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3567 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
At the last DCS I was at I ended up parked next to a guy with a VTEC-swapped DeLorean. Was a VERY well-engineered swap and was both more efficient AND more powerful than the stock PRV powerplant- and was a smaller engine to boot.

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #3568 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Talked to a friend of mine who is a computer tech contractor.

He works for a company that does installs for Best Buy/Geek Squad. They just told him he's no longer allowed to do TV installs with a minivan... he has to have a cargo van or box truck.

He just installed three 60" TV's and sound systems, at the same time, with the minivan. Any clues why Best Buy is requiring this now, all of a sudden? Pretty sure it's not because of cargo space.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3569 on: August 04, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
maybe the mini van doesn't look as professional/commercial or have the ability to strap things down as well?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3570 on: August 04, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.
Tell 'em I'd be happy to help.  I'm pretty sure the book is in a library near them, too.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.

sol

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3571 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
Overheard at work today from a man who makes approximately $40k/year: "My rule is a new cell phone every six months.  They really need to make them less expensive though, $700 every six months is pretty rough."

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3572 on: August 04, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
At dinner last night with my coworkers the conversation started with how much cable companies suck and turned to investing somehow.  The captain next to me turned and said "401k? I've heard of that, but I don't really know what it is."  I gave him the basic definition and asked if he knew what the TSP was. "Oh yeah, I know about that.  My wife takes care of the investing stuff."  He said he put a couple hundred a month into it, but knew nothing beyond that.  He didn't know what the limit was or how the thing worked.  I felt bad for the guy.  He's army and his wife is air force. Both are captains and together probably make over $120,000 a year.  I don't see them as big spenders, but it was painful to hear how ignorant of finances and investing he was.  I want to believe she knows what she's doing, but if he's not even close to maxing his TSP I can't imagine she's doing everything right.
I am not sure you should feel too bad for them-One officer retirement is enough to cover our post expenses ( with a mortgage). It is really easy to stupid your way through with dual military income especially if you aren't a big spender. So far 22 yrs (Single income)has paid for left over student loans, three houses, 3 fully paid college educations and retirement funds at "average" rate ( via arebelspy's formula). Though I agree everyone should be aware of their options.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3573 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »

With JBLM BAH they make way more than that as CPTs - 3yr 1LT is right over 75k/yr alone.

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3574 on: August 05, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
I am not sure you should feel too bad for them-One officer retirement is enough to cover our post expenses ( with a mortgage). It is really easy to stupid your way through with dual military income especially if you aren't a big spender. So far 22 yrs (Single income)has paid for left over student loans, three houses, 3 fully paid college educations and retirement funds at "average" rate ( via arebelspy's formula). Though I agree everyone should be aware of their options.

It's a little easier to sympathize with people you like.  During my career I always assumed retired officers and NCOs took jobs to fill their bank accounts and/or their egos.  I never dreamed for so many it was to just to keep their heads above water until I left.  I spent my last weeks in trying to educate people on saving and investing.  Of course the Senior NCOs and prior enlisted are generally better prepared.  To them and their spouses a "budget" isn't a small bird.  It's also worrying because debt from poor money management is a proven way for enemies to recruit servicemembers as spies. 
Gentleman of Leisure

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3575 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:57 AM »
We don't see each other that often since we're on opposite sides of the FOB, but the next time I get a few minutes to hang out with him I'll probe a little deeper.  Nords, I'll definitely mention your book in the conversation.  I've said it here before, but I've seen both extremes of frugality in my coworkers at all ranks.  The senior NCO and warrant officer in my shop are using this deployment to aggressively get out of debt before they retire when they get home.  One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3576 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:15 AM »
Due to some circumstances at work, some colleagues and I were talking about the possibility of basically being laid off a month temporarily - I made some comment, "month off without pay? sign me up!" and my coworkers looked at me like I was crazy.

I'd take a month or two every year off without pay if I could, I already am buying as much vacation as I can - might as well take an unpaid month off :)

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3577 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »
Fortunately my co workers are either reasonably prudent or prudently quiet about their finances so I've no recent stories.  However, here are two from years ago, one anti mustachian and one very much not so.

[...]

SPC R was a 20 something company clerk in the same assignment and a pretty smart guy.  In conversation he broadly hinted he had tens of thousands invested in various stocks and diverted large chunks of his pay into them.  One day at work I found him practically doing somersaults with joy.   Some company had gone public and he was diverting a large chunk of his assets to buy into it.  I was in no position to invest and thought he was a bit crazy.  I told him as much since the company's business model was so unconventional.  But SPC R assured me this "Google" company would do very well.

Good for him!! That'd be one of those super lucky single swoop down and catch FIRE without doing anything type situations.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

moneydummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3578 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
I can 100% relate.  Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me at my old corporate job, a few times actually.  Lucky for me I have more friendly surroundings these days.  Just goes to show that some people don't like fun.  And I feel sorry for them.  And I also can't wait to retire... though I have a much longer way to go.

Hang in there buddy.

Yesterday was a bad day at work for me... got in trouble for hanging out with a coworker during break. And having fun.

Turns out, there's a guy in my cubicle who's fond of working through breaks and lunch. And he's not very friendly, either. So he gets irritated and is disturbed easily. Seeing the trend here? Oh yeah, and he's 15 years younger than me.

So, just because you don't have enemies, it doesn't mean everyone is your friend, either. I got thrown under the bus, even though I always get my work done on time, and done well. I don't work overtime and I don't work through breaks, and I don't take myself too seriously. Apparently that doesn't sit well with some people.

God, I can't wait till I can retire.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3579 on: August 05, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
With JBLM BAH they make way more than that as CPTs - 3yr 1LT is right over 75k/yr alone.

LOL, SRSLY? WTF RU SAYIN?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:34:47 PM by Mississippi Mudstache »
“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.” -John Ruskin

My Woodworking Blog

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3580 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »

LOL, SRSLY? WTF?

Babel fish in my ear says:  the basic allowance for housing (extra pay for rent) at the environs of his military base (adjusted by locale) makes the total pay of a First Lieutenant with 3 years over $75k. Therefore those Captains (next rank up) who were not savvy about investing make even more than $75k.

My captain friend and his wife have around 6 years time in service which gives them a base pay of $5400/month.

Basic Allowance for Housing: untaxable stipend given to military personnel living off-base.  It is based on locality and adjusted for rank and single/married.  Since my coworkers are a dual-military couple only one of them gets it.  For the Joint Base Lewis-McChord area they're getting $1863/month.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #3581 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »
$_$

That almost makes me regret submitting my UQR 9 months before promotion to CPT.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3582 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Overheard at work today from a man who makes approximately $40k/year: "My rule is a new cell phone every six months.  They really need to make them less expensive though, $700 every six months is pretty rough."

what. the. fuck.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #3583 on: August 05, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
I went with my housemate recently to check out his phone plan at the store, to see when it finished. The salesman said he had three months left, but he could waive that to grab a new contract and "save" the three months or so, plus get a new phone! My housemate (who has benefited from a bit of second-hand mustachianism) immediately said "no" and calculated how much he'll be saving per-month when it's paid off, in the store!

This will be the first time he's ever kept using a phone he's paid off - until now it's been a new one every two years, with the old ones sitting in a cupboard or drawer gathering dust, just because that's what he's always done. Six months, though, that's pretty unbelievable!

FIREman2036

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3584 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
Due to some circumstances at work, some colleagues and I were talking about the possibility of basically being laid off a month temporarily - I made some comment, "month off without pay? sign me up!" and my coworkers looked at me like I was crazy.

I'd take a month or two every year off without pay if I could, I already am buying as much vacation as I can - might as well take an unpaid month off :)

A similar thing happened to me when my company threatened that we would be laid of each winter for 2-3 months unless we moved onto a lower paid staff contract. I called their bluff and said i would love to work 9-10 months a year at the current rate and take time of in the quite months. They ended up bumping the staff contract up by 10% so i accepted (left 3 months later for unrelated reasons).

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3585 on: August 06, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

what. the. fuck.

100% agree. What the actual fuck. I'm making just around the same as him and I couldn't fathom getting a new phone that often. I have a two year old iPhone 4 (bought new as a gift from my parents). I bought myself a heavy duty case and a screen protector right away, and it's still in good condition (two little scratches on the screen, that's it!). That puppy is sticking with me until it completely craps out and is irreparable. I honestly can't tell you what the newest version iPhone is out now, or when another new one will be out. All I know is that when this one does die (hopefully not for another 2-3 years), I'll be looking for a used/refurbished model of some phone that was released two years or so prior.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #3586 on: August 06, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
Heard this today and immediately thought of this thread.

Co-worker: "Our patio contractor didn't show up on time this morning, so who knows when our patio will be finished? We bought a brand new patio set and have nowhere to put it! The contractor can show up whenever they want and charge whatever they want because it's not like we'd ever do the work ourselves (scoffs)."

Me: "Uh, umm, oh ok, sorry about that"

New patio set? Paying contractor any amount of $$ to do the work for you (on a non-crucial, purely for fun renovation)? Tried to walk away as fast as possible before my eyes rolled uncontrollably...
www.Frugalwoods.com -- Ex-urban rookie homesteader finding contentment on 66 acres in Vermont with my husband, daughter, and dog

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3587 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
LOL... my inlaws just paid a vast amount to have a patio installed... when i mentiontioned that I would have done it for a place to stay for a few nights, they said that on my days off i need to rest.  I have an office job, I rest at work...

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #3588 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
LOL... my inlaws just paid a vast amount to have a patio installed... when i mentiontioned that I would have done it for a place to stay for a few nights, they said that on my days off i need to rest.  I have an office job, I rest at work...
Exactly!!!
www.Frugalwoods.com -- Ex-urban rookie homesteader finding contentment on 66 acres in Vermont with my husband, daughter, and dog

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3589 on: August 06, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Did I mention that she is unemployed, and they are broke. He wont let her work because he is a trucker and wants her home when he is... 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3590 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
I heard another one last night... not at work, but at a board of directors meeting in the housing I live in...

I was kinda evesdropping on another couple talking, and heard something about a kitchen.  So I asked him a question, thinking that maybe he needed some help moving something in his kitchen(his wife is diabled, so this is something that happens quite regularly)  Anyways, he said no, that he was going to the soup kitchen to get some supper. 

I find this quite scary, as he has 3 cars between him and his wife.  The have a mini van, which they need because she is in a wheel chair, so it is equiot with the lift system for her and such.  They have a "commuter" mustang(80's style 4 cly i think) and they just bought a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck.

All of the vehicles are older, but my question is why do they need to pay 3 sets of insurance every month.  Are housing also only provides 1 patking spot, so he is renting another 2 spots... This seems to me to be quite a waste for someone who cannot afford to eat.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #3591 on: August 06, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
All of the vehicles are older, but my question is why do they need to pay 3 sets of insurance every month.  Are housing also only provides 1 patking spot, so he is renting another 2 spots... This seems to me to be quite a waste for someone who cannot afford to eat.

Everyone knows you need something fashionable to roll into the soup kitchen on. If you haven't picked up your food pantry score in a benzo, you just wouldn't understand these things.  Why, he'd be the laughing stock of everyone at the soup kitchen if he pulled up in the wheelchair mini-van, instead of the mustang.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3592 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

what. the. fuck.
[/quote]
This description accurately describes a significant percentage of people of my generation. I personally know a couple who don't make half of the quoted 40k salary.

Cardinal12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3593 on: August 06, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
Overheard this today:

CW1: (Complaining about needing to cash a check) When I use to work at a bank, some people would come in to deposit two or three paychecks at a time. It must be nice to not need a paycheck every week...

From a senior level accountant, no less.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #3594 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
At a conference for work this week. I got a couple lunch tickets, but not every level of registration gets them. I saw the price people were paying for lunch: $11! This includes a small sandwich, a bag of chips, and a couple tiny cookies. I can easily make this lunch for $2.00 myself - incredible profit margins. This is why I always bring my lunch to work...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3595 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.
I found a bootleg copy of the Army's brief to GEN Odierno on the officer separation boards.  It's "interesting" reading for all O-3s and O-4s:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235750833/29/Other-Key-Initiatives

If that link suddenly stops working then another copy is on the blog server with this post:
http://the-military-guide.com/2014/08/05/leaked-statistics-army-officer-separation-board/

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3596 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »

A similar thing happened to me when my company threatened that we would be laid of each winter for 2-3 months unless we moved onto a lower paid staff contract. I called their bluff and said i would love to work 9-10 months a year at the current rate and take time of in the quite months. They ended up bumping the staff contract up by 10% so i accepted (left 3 months later for unrelated reasons).

Wouldn't that be awesome? I may never FIRE if I had this kind of setup.

I was just lamenting something similar. In my recent history, I've been able to take an extended break a couple of times every three years. Six years ago when I left a job and went to another and purposely took a month off in between. Three years ago when I got laid off and purposefully didn't look for work for 4 months. Well, now I'm hitting the next three year mark and getting antsy...if only I could take a 3 month break, it may recharge my batteries. But no way my company would go for that. We are in constant layoff mode. My next break is more of a permanent one (FIRE...very soon!).

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3597 on: August 07, 2014, 04:24:51 AM »
One of my fellow majors would feel right at home on this forum.  He'll find out by next week if he's being forced out, but if he has to go then he can comfortably go a few months before worrying about employment.  Another major here rents four properties across the country, but another young captain has very expensive hobbies and collectibles.  I work with a lot of young captains who are still feeling their way through investment options, home ownership, and only a couple have put serious thought into long term plans.
I found a bootleg copy of the Army's brief to GEN Odierno on the officer separation boards.  It's "interesting" reading for all O-3s and O-4s:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235750833/29/Other-Key-Initiatives

If that link suddenly stops working then another copy is on the blog server with this post:
http://the-military-guide.com/2014/08/05/leaked-statistics-army-officer-separation-board/

I received a copy of the OSB demographics brief last week when they were leaked.  It's been the talk of the office and generated a lot of discussions about finances and officership.  In my headquarters so far nobody has been asked to sit down with the brigade commander, but I think one or two in one of our battalions is getting the boot.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3598 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
I've finally got one!  So first, I live and work in Chicago.  Yesterday my coworker came in after some time off moving to his newly built house.... in Indiana.  Others asked how long his car commute was, and he replied an hour.  Already I was like ugh, but then! the 4 other people went "oh that's not bad at all!" I sincerely hope some of them were just being polite.  I didn't say anything.  The funny thing is that he's late today 'cause he had to take his car into the mechanic.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3599 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
Heard this today and immediately thought of this thread.

Co-worker: "Our patio contractor didn't show up on time this morning, so who knows when our patio will be finished? We bought a brand new patio set and have nowhere to put it! The contractor can show up whenever they want and charge whatever they want because it's not like we'd ever do the work ourselves (scoffs)."

Me: "Uh, umm, oh ok, sorry about that"

New patio set? Paying contractor any amount of $$ to do the work for you (on a non-crucial, purely for fun renovation)? Tried to walk away as fast as possible before my eyes rolled uncontrollably...

no kidding! I've never owned a home, but from what I hear from coworkers it sounds like for a lot of jobs, hiring a contractor is almost as big of a hassle/time-suck as doing it yourself! which kind of blew my mind, but also renewed my commitment to DIY as much as possible.