Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253077 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3450 on: July 31, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
In defense of those people who worry about being paid late (and this is not meant to sound complainypants!), I get it. Maybe my reasons are different (probably are), but if I wasn't paid on time it would cause some headaches. My e-fund is in a high interest savings account and CDs at another bank. My SL is due on the third of each month (a date I picked on purpose), and I'm paid the 15th and last day of the month. I do keep a smaller, short term e-fund in my main bank for that very reason, but I did get super nervous this morning when I didn't get an email saying my direct deposit went through (went to spam, thanks gmail). I like it when things go smoothly and get grumpy when they don't. But again, it wouldn't be life ending for me if I got paid a couple of days late. I'll just need to pop some extra advil.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #3451 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
If my pay was late it would cause a cascading affect that would cost me a small chunk of money in fees.

Not that I can't cover the costs, but without a couple days notice that the pay will be late I can't move the money fast enough due to our horribly antiquated banking system that requires days to transfer something that should take seconds.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #3452 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
Is it really worth it to be so optimized as to the location of your money that you couldn't handle a small error by your payroll department?  It seems unlikely that having a buffer of 1-2 paychecks worth in your normal bill paying account would have any meaningful effect on your long term finances and the benefit of not worrying about something out of your control would be pretty nice.

For instance, my wife's boss forgot to submit her timesheets for June and so, instead of getting her monthly check on July 1, it didn't get deposited until July 29th.  The sum total of things I needed to do to handle that was: nothing.  We use YNAB, we're fully buffered and we keep a healthy balance in our checking account. 

Unless you're in a high interest rate debt emergency, it seems like making sure a delay in your pay doesn't cause problems would be very useful.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3453 on: July 31, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »
ill be honest.

I get annoyed as well,  because I am type A.

I get a high on days I get paid, because that is also my bill paying day. I enjoy signing checks, and placing them into each addressed and stamped envelope . ( i know, its nuts that i still use checks) I also update my budget, and start transferring over money to invest.  I try to almost empty my bank account each pay period, because it should be going towards a bill, and left overs towards savings.

also, I find it interesting when companies have some reason or excuse for paying me late. the company didnt get that work it wanted me to do immediately,  a week later. and its not going to pay me any extra for that late week. so sometimes its not about living close to the margins.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3454 on: July 31, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
ill be honest.

I get annoyed as well,  because I am type A.

Seconded.

For what it's worth, I am in a high interest debt emergency. Every penny I make is accounted for. At 6.75%, I want that thing gone ASAP (and soon it will be)! I do have more than the minimum payment in my regular bank just in case, but that's money I want to forget is there any only use it for an emergency (and someone screwing up in payroll is not an emergency). Then again, my company outsources payroll (and all other HR functions), so heads would probably roll if an error like that ever happened.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #3455 on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:22 AM »
I had a bit of pay delayed (about $300) but as it was over and above my normal 80 hour pay (it was for being on-call) it didn't have any impact on me financially.  However, I was upset about it as the timeframe in which I get paid is governed by labor law and that time limit had been exceeded.  It didn't help that my supervisor would not give direct answers as to where my pay was, either. 

I also agree that you should have buffer.  But if the employer has agreed to pay on a certain day, that agreement should be upheld.

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3456 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
I'd start immediately looking for another job if my employer suddenly missed the pay period by a couple of days without a very good explanation - this is a huge red flag. I've been through enough downturns and seen enough hollowed out companies chain their doors closed unannounced on a random tuesday morning.  Regularly missing their agreed upon pay date? Nope - floating a loan to my employer is not in my best interest. Nothing to do with my available funds, it's just the sign of a company that hasn't got their shit together.

I don't understand folks that 'need' a paycheck a day earlier than end of month, though. C'mon, budget already.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #3457 on: July 31, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
Is it really worth it to be so optimized as to the location of your money that you couldn't handle a small error by your payroll department?  It seems unlikely that having a buffer of 1-2 paychecks worth in your normal bill paying account would have any meaningful effect on your long term finances and the benefit of not worrying about something out of your control would be pretty nice.

For instance, my wife's boss forgot to submit her timesheets for June and so, instead of getting her monthly check on July 1, it didn't get deposited until July 29th.  The sum total of things I needed to do to handle that was: nothing.  We use YNAB, we're fully buffered and we keep a healthy balance in our checking account. 

Unless you're in a high interest rate debt emergency, it seems like making sure a delay in your pay doesn't cause problems would be very useful.

My company would be in huge trouble, with the potential of losing big contracts if they ever failed to submit timesheets with a delay so bad that we didn't get paid for 28 days. Heck, even 1 day late will look bad for us. I think my company has been late once before on the electronic payment and we got a notice ahead of time that there was going to be a problem.

For me, all my bill pays are automated. I expect money to be transfered into my checking account, and then expect 1-4 days later to have lots of withdrawals. If my company fails to pay on time I probably have much bigger problems coming down the line.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3458 on: July 31, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
I'd start immediately looking for another job if my employer suddenly missed the pay period by a couple of days without a very good explanation - this is a huge red flag.

Glad I'm not the only one who though of it this way...I'd be super worried about the company if my payday was missed and nobody offered a reasonable explanation (payroll software issue or something major like that)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3459 on: July 31, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »
For me, all my bill pays are automated. I expect money to be transfered into my checking account, and then expect 1-4 days later to have lots of withdrawals. If my company fails to pay on time I probably have much bigger problems coming down the line.

This is a good reason to have bills charged to a credit card rather than your bank account.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3460 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »

This is a good reason to have bills charged to a credit card rather than your bank account.

I think this has come up before in cc-hacking threads, is it a Canadian thing that you can easily put power/internet/etc on a cc?  I think in the states it is a pain or discouraged.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3461 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »

All my credit card due dates are on the 4th.  If my paycheck is late by a week, I'm gonna collect penalties.

http://employment-law.knoji.com/pay-day-violations-in-california/

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3462 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
I think this has come up before in cc-hacking threads, is it a Canadian thing that you can easily put power/internet/etc on a cc?  I think in the states it is a pain or discouraged.

Most places here allow it, yeah - but wouldn't most American companies that accepted auto-payment from a bank account also allow it from a credit card? Is it common to allow one but not the other?

All my credit card due dates are on the 4th.  If my paycheck is late by a week, I'm gonna collect penalties.

We pay all our credit cards off in full twice a month on our pay periods. This means we'd have to not get paid for a solid month before running the risk of paying interest, and even then, we would just transfer in money from savings at that point. Even if it takes a day or two to transfer money around, you should still have ample time.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3463 on: July 31, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
i cant pay the following from a cc:  electric/gas bill,  student loan,auto loan, cc bill (ha!)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3464 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »

We pay all our credit cards off in full twice a month on our pay periods. This means we'd have to not get paid for a solid month before running the risk of paying interest, and even then, we would just transfer in money from savings at that point. Even if it takes a day or two to transfer money around, you should still have ample time.

I'm "fine" either way, I meant I'm going to collect penalties from my employer's misdemeanor.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #3465 on: July 31, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »

Sounds like you need a YNAB buffer. That would solve all those problems and you wouldn't care when your payday is.
(link Removed)

Seriously YNAB is awesome. You'll never worry about when you get paid again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:15:09 PM by swick »

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #3466 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »

in MA, my TV, internet, phone and gas (propane) can go on a CC for free.  My electric, sewer & water requires a bank ACH or they charge a 3% CC transaction fee which just barely exceeds the 2% cash back I'd otherwise get to be willing to do it.

YMMV.  I feel like I remember 1 provider in all my moves that allowed electric to go on a CC without any extra fees, but water & sewer has always only offered free ACH (or sometimes only paper checks or fee applies -- I can see how they thought it was to my convenience to give them money without them having to handle, endorse, and drag a paper check to the bank)

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #3467 on: July 31, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Not 'overheard at work' but 'overseen on a public printer at work'.  My boss has talked about his friend and how "He doesn't save money".  I knew the friend was a good lawyer in town but I never knew how much he made until I saw something on the printer.  The friend is 63 and made $460k last year.  Good for him.  The kicker is he & his wife have a combined $900k in investible assets.  That includes his 401k.  Most of our clients of this age in this income range have 2x-3x + this amount in 401k's as they wanted to defer taxes during their high earning years, even if they did spend a lot along the way.  Apparently he saves very little even in his 401k.  Clown is on the verge of normal retirement age and doesn't even have 2x his apparent yearly spending and SS won't put a dent in his monthly spending. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3468 on: July 31, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »
Can we just change the thread title to "crazy stuff you've heard"?   Then every other post doesn't need a disclaimer that it wasn't "overheard," "not at work," etc

EricL

« Reply #3469 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
Fortunately my co workers are either reasonably prudent or prudently quiet about their finances so I've no recent stories.  However, here are two from years ago, one anti mustachian and one very much not so.

In my first officer assignment years ago I received a phone call from a bill collector - fortunately not one of mine.  This collector was looking for PFC X.  I'd never heard about PFC X so I asked around the office.  The word from the old timers was he'd been out of the unit and Army for years.  When he was in he hooked up with a woman with expensive tastes.  He eventually ran out of creditor resources buying her stuff and turned to robbing banks.  He was OK at it until the police matched his gun to a bullet fired into the ceiling of the last bank.  He got a DD and went to prison.  Apparently he either still had unresolved debts, was out making new ones, or both.  Sad but it felt good telling a bill collector he was SOL.

SPC R was a 20 something company clerk in the same assignment and a pretty smart guy.  In conversation he broadly hinted he had tens of thousands invested in various stocks and diverted large chunks of his pay into them.  One day at work I found him practically doing somersaults with joy.   Some company had gone public and he was diverting a large chunk of his assets to buy into it.  I was in no position to invest and thought he was a bit crazy.  I told him as much since the company's business model was so unconventional.  But SPC R assured me this "Google" company would do very well.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3470 on: July 31, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »
I'd start immediately looking for another job if my employer suddenly missed the pay period by a couple of days without a very good explanation - this is a huge red flag. I've been through enough downturns and seen enough hollowed out companies chain their doors closed unannounced on a random tuesday morning.  Regularly missing their agreed upon pay date? Nope - floating a loan to my employer is not in my best interest. Nothing to do with my available funds, it's just the sign of a company that hasn't got their shit together.

I don't understand folks that 'need' a paycheck a day earlier than end of month, though. C'mon, budget already.

For some reason, I got deja vu -- of getting deja vu -- while reading this. I feel like I remember feeling like I've remembered reading it before.

i cant pay the following from a cc:  ... cc bill (ha!)

Now that's too bad. It would be awesome to pay off a balance by swapping it between cash back card A and cash back card B over and over!

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #3471 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
Co-worker brought in his $2 grand watch today, which he just received. Apparently his wife got a $750 handbag for "compensation".

He's always complaining about how much his wife spends, but seems to have no problems spending himself.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3472 on: July 31, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »

Sounds like you need a YNAB buffer. That would solve all those problems and you wouldn't care when your payday is.

(link removed)

Seriously YNAB is awesome. You'll never worry about when you get paid again.

(Mod Note: Insult removed,  affiliate link removed, play nice people)
but just having a budget and worrying about when payday are 2 different things.... 

tell you what since YNAB works so well for you ... you give me your paychecks for the next 2 months and i'll give you them all at the end... CASH FLOW is a serious financial thing.... i wont be paying you any interest... i'm just gonna "pay" you 2 months later... obviously this is taking it to a bit of an extreme... but you're paying a site bc you cant make an excel spreadsheet.... maybe you should take a mustachian step and stop using an outside source to do something for you..  i also assume you have a pool boy and a lawn boy and a house girl...

so in 2 months i'll give you your money... i need it today tho the market was just down 2% so i need to capitalize. 

a person saying they stress some may mean they are insta saving ALOT of money not keeping a 50% rainy day fund from a bogus site taking your money ...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:14:24 PM by swick »

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3473 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
FYI -YNAB is what referred me to MMM.  Its not bogus, a lot of people here use it. Self promotion can be annoying, but your post is downright rude. Can we get back to the topic now?

Guys at work pay a ridiculous $5 for a snack from a food truck each day.   No comments, but I dont know how they cant see that they eat their retirement...

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #3474 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »
FYI -YNAB is what referred me to MMM.  Its not bogus, a lot of people here use it. Self promotion can be annoying, but your post is downright rude. Can we get back to the topic now?

Guys at work pay a ridiculous $5 for a snack from a food truck each day.   No comments, but I dont know how they cant see that they eat their retirement...

$5? That's it?

Today my co-worker brought in an amazing looking takeout bag from a place a few blocks away. I asked her how much it was, and she was like "Only $15! That's not too bad for lunch!"

I about had a heart attack. Coworker goes to the this place ALL the time, at least 2x a week.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3475 on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »

$5? That's it?

Today my co-worker brought in an amazing looking takeout bag from a place a few blocks away. I asked her how much it was, and she was like "Only $15! That's not too bad for lunch!"

I about had a heart attack. Coworker goes to the this place ALL the time, at least 2x a week.

Well when add the fact that they then hop in a 4wd truck to drive 10mins to pay another $10-15 at lunch, ya thats bad.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #3476 on: July 31, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »

$5? That's it?

Well when add the fact that they then hop in a 4wd truck to drive 10mins to pay another $10-15 at lunch, ya thats bad.

OMG, I missed that it was a snack! Yeah, that is bad...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3477 on: July 31, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
FYI -YNAB is what referred me to MMM.  Its not bogus, a lot of people here use it. Self promotion can be annoying, but your post is downright rude....

I'm glad you found this site and find ynab useful.

I found boarder42's response to be downright hilarious with an undertone of "you're god damn right I want my $ on payday" sentiment.

I'm not sure if it was meant to be rude or funny, but I got more funny than rude.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3478 on: August 01, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »
correct funny ... not rude... sorry if it was misconstrued  ...

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3479 on: August 01, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »
stop referring people to your link.. ass hole...

You called someone an asshole then went, lol just joking.

Nice... I haven't seen that defense since middle school. Don't wimp out, it's the internet; we expect some cussing.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3480 on: August 01, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »

I definitely got "rude" out of that, mostly due to the use of the word "asshole." thanks for clarifying :)

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3481 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »

I remember having a debate with my parents about this (well, almost the same - it was about people living paycheque to paycheque rather than those who optimise their finances so aggressively.).

- My Dad was making the point that pay-cheques must be paid on time, because "most of the country are only a few days from ruin" - and he's right.  Many households in the UK have very little savings and a delay of a week for example on a pay-cheque could spell disaster.
- My argument was that these people are "adults".  If they have stretched so far when buying their house, cars, and other commitments, that they have been unable to save anything at all - then they have overburdened themselves or have spent money which should have been saved unwisely.  To me, there seem few excuses why many families should be in this situation of having no emergency fund - sure, there's the odd one who is dealing with an serious emergency - but this cannot be happening to the number (millions of households) we see without sufficient savings.  I can only conclude that the majority of these are not "operating their finances in an adult way", and so while a late pay-cheque from a company is poor and possibly a red flag, the issues caused to the employee largely through their own poor financial management are of no interest to the company.
- My Dad didn't agree and said I was "harsh".  :-)

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3482 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »

For some reason, I got deja vu -- of getting deja vu -- while reading this. I feel like I remember feeling like I've remembered reading it before.

I haven't written it before, but I've thought about writing it before. Maybe it's deja vu of my not writing it? ;D

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3483 on: August 01, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
CW got a second, PT job on the sales floor at Kohls.    I suspect that she got it to cover payments on her new Beemer, but that is besides the point.  Anyway, she crowed at worked that she got the job for the DIScounts, as in "I saved $900 with my employee DIScount."

I desperately wanted to ask her WTF Kohl sold that was possibly worth 15%= $900, but I didn't because I am housebroken.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3484 on: August 01, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
My company had a picnic today. I sat next to my boss, who was telling stories about the previous dot com boom.

Apparently, one guy who struck it rich at a major networking company decided to buy a house. His stock had done extremely well, and he now had 3 million dollars to his name. This guy was an engineering manager, a position that would probably net around $170k today.

He saw a house that he liked listed for $1.5MM. Since the market was "going up", he bid $1MM over, for a purchase price of $2.5MM. Since the stock was also "going up", he decided to get a mortgage instead of selling the stock and paying for the house outright.

Then, the markets - both real estate and stock - plunged. The stock dropped like a rock (more than 11 years later, it hasn't recovered) though real estate has come back. At the same time as the stock market fell, companies started having quarterly layoffs. I don't know whether he survived, but he certainly went broke and lost the house.

Lesson: diversification

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #3485 on: August 01, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
Finally got one. I do payroll for a company. They're new to me, and they get paid on the last working day of the month. So one of the ladies in the office comes in with her timesheets and asks when the pay will go in (I think, the same day it always does. But I'm new to them, so maybe it's not always been thus) I tell her, and she pulls a face. "Some months are longer than others eh?" I say. She nods. Fast forward 4 hours, the director comes in and asks me to pay everyone the day before the end of the month. Because "people have got direct debits coming out on the last day"

I'm thinking, why ask me to move the date of the payroll? Why not ask them to move their darned DDs? And also, try keeping a buffer in case you don't get paid. It helps, trust me. I do not understand that logic. But he's the boss, so a day earlier it is. *sigh*

If I pay them one day late the pricks want a late fee. So do I. So, pay me on time.

VillageIdiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3486 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
Wife's coworker executed and sold his options when the stock went up $10. Everyone thought he was crazy for deciding to pay down his 8.5% loan rather than continuing to hope that a single stock(!) would grow faster than his fixed-rate debt.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3487 on: August 01, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »

I definitely got "rude" out of that, mostly due to the use of the word "asshole." thanks for clarifying :)

oh the peddling his link so he can get a free service that can be done with knowledge of excel to rope someone else into a monthly payment no matter how small was meant as a dickish statement ... the rest was meant in humor...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Overheard at Work
« Reply #3488 on: August 01, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
Ok this is from my friend's workplace:

She does the accounting there. The big boss came and asked her to make him a new monthly salary cheque, cause he found an old one that he never deposited and it was like two years old.

0.o

And he makes a shit ton of money. So much, apparently, that you don't notice if you don't get paid one month! Wtf.

She told him that because he was one of the signers/owners, he could write himself a cheque. Lol.

(Apologies if I got the lingo wrong, I'm now accountant... But you get the gist!)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3489 on: August 02, 2014, 03:41:55 AM »

She does the accounting there. The big boss came and asked her to make him a new monthly salary cheque, cause he found an old one that he never deposited and it was like two years old.

0.o

And he makes a shit ton of money. So much, apparently, that you don't notice if you don't get paid one month! Wtf.

She told him that because he was one of the signers/owners, he could write himself a cheque. Lol.

(Apologies if I got the lingo wrong, I'm now accountant... But you get the gist!)

That's more like mustachian than antimustachian, don't you think?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3490 on: August 02, 2014, 04:35:12 AM »

0.o

Shit ton is accounting lingo?

Inquizator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3491 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:41 AM »
you don't notice if you don't get paid one month!

That should be in the "Mustachian People Problems" thread!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3492 on: August 02, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »
you don't notice if you don't get paid one month!

That should be in the "Mustachian People Problems" thread!

Not sure this is or is not Mustachian, all it really is is having a few months income/expenses in cash so that no bills bounce and not tracking your finances very closely.  You could be making 200k and spending 180k but so long as you had an emergency fund to absorb the missing check not really notice.  Also if it is normal for large sums to go in and out of your checking (reimbursable work expenses, oddly timed dividends, large personal expenses, rental income?) or monthly pay normally varying significantly (commission?) a pay check could get lost in the noise. 

EDIT: On the other hand maybe he is Mustachian and saves 70% of his pay but thought he transferred & invested the pay but really never deposited it.

To easy for this to go either way, I am sure plenty here have brain farted on something financial over the years; not to long ago I double paid a large cc balance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:53:29 AM by AlanStache »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3493 on: August 02, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
All that is true, but at the very least he is not living pay check to pay check on a large salary. Plenty of people who manage that.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3494 on: August 02, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »
Wow, bad typo. I am *not an accountant

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3495 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
I see your points. But doesn't mustachian = efficiency? And the lost interest on the money... Isn't that wasteful, in a way?

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3496 on: August 02, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »

oh the peddling his link so he can get a free service that can be done with knowledge of excel to rope someone else into a monthly payment no matter how small was meant as a dickish statement ... the rest was meant in humor...

I dont think you really know what YNAB is.  There is no monthly fee.  Just clarification for anyone reading.  And my excel sheet sure as heck cant sync with my and my wifes phone.  (Possible, but overly complicated)  I paid $15 ONE time for the software.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3497 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

If you ever want to sell it... :)

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.

I'd be inclined to put the most fuel efficient small engine into the chassis so you have a cool looking car that is cheaper to drive around.  But I'm weird.  As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #3498 on: August 02, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
I'd be inclined to put the most fuel efficient small engine into the chassis so you have a cool looking car that is cheaper to drive around.  But I'm weird.  As I kid I used to fantasize about buying a Dodge Viper body and transplanting a Ford Tempo engine into it to make it really fuel efficient.  My friends did not understand the Vipo.

As opposed to taking a Viper engine and putting it into the Tempo creating the incomparable Temper.  =p  You're reverse sleeper idea is kind of funny to me though.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #3499 on: August 02, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

If you ever want to sell it... :)

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.

I love cars, and I know if there was one area where I could blow my mustachian street cred it would be on cars.  When some people say, "I don't even know how I'd spend a million dollars."  I just think, "I know how I would, it would all be on cars."

Anyway,  if you ever did this, I know at least one thing would happen, you would make a lifetime friend in whichever sixteen year old you found with a Tempo and traded engines from your Viper.  Of course they haven't made the Tempo in like 20 years, so your Tempo engine is probably going to get harder and harder to find.  You'd be tooting around in your 40mpg Viper, and he'd be winning pink slips at every stoplight in Canada with his V10 Tempo.

Just the though is making me chuckle.  They did make a Tempo with a 4 speed manual trans at one point, wonder if that little gearbox could handle 500+hp.