Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253316 times)

okashira

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3400 on: July 25, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
Coworkers were talking about how they spend money and one guy went, "I want the last check I write before I die to bounce."
I must be the only one who thought this might actually be mustachian.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3401 on: July 25, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
So I guess I get a face punch for the day, because I went out to eat with coworkers for lunch. I thought it would be nice to have a conversation over lunch but boy was I wrong. It started out with me talking about a house DW and I are looking at buying (we went and looked at it last night and people where curious what we thought). After that one coworker went on a mini rant about why he will never be able to buy a house because
A) who can save up 20%
B) his truck payment alone is $600
C) insurance is $200 a month for the truck
D) gas for the truck is $400 a month

The list went on to include utilities and the cost of food and all the material crap that you HAVE to buy and TAXES. It was the most miserable sob story I've ever had to listen to. I could barely hold the face punches back. I did however offer to help him set up a budget and get him on the right track (with the disclaimer that he would not like my advice).

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #3402 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
I did however offer to help him set up a budget and get him on the right track (with the disclaimer that he would not like my advice).

I can appreciate that you wanted to help the man, but giving unsolicited financial advice, or even offering it, may not be good for your social standing or your stress levels. MMM himself has said, IIRC, that he made this website because he wanted a place to say what he normally has to stop himself from saying.

I understand you want to help people, but it's honestly a thankless job that doesn't manifest itself in actual results most of the time, in this case.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3403 on: July 25, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
I did however offer to help him set up a budget and get him on the right track (with the disclaimer that he would not like my advice).

I can appreciate that you wanted to help the man, but giving unsolicited financial advice, or even offering it, may not be good for your social standing or your stress levels. MMM himself has said, IIRC, that he made this website because he wanted a place to say what he normally has to stop himself from saying.

I understand you want to help people, but it's honestly a thankless job that doesn't manifest itself in actual results most of the time, in this case.

^yep but if He With Truck comes back in a day or two and asked for help I would bet against it going bad for the social position especially if kept low key.  HWT taking the advice might be a different story.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3404 on: July 25, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
I know what you mean GrayGhost. He is just such a good kid I can't watch the downward spiral. I feel strange saying this but I think I am kind of a "role model" in this kids mind. If he does take me up on the offer I'm not going to start throwing face punches right off the bat or anything because I know they wouldn't be received well. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3405 on: July 25, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »
OTOH, I didn't even know we had a pension benefit for the first several years I was working.  I thought it was just TSP and Social Security.  Now I'm kind of confused about what I'm supposed to do with a 1.8 million + TSP account

Keep in mind that the federal pension is only 1% of your salary times your years of service, and is not inflation adjusted between retiring and collecting it.  That means that if you work 10 years in your federal job and retire at 30, they will determine the dollar amount of your pension as 10% of today's salary, and you will get that amount of dollars when you start drawing your pension in 30 more years.  The lack of an inflation adjustment coupled to the rising payout per year that you work means that the pension is a terrible deal for early retirees.  You'd be much better off just having your pension contributions back and investing them in a taxable account.

But no one's retiring early in this scenario.  1.8M is about what I'll have if I work until age 57.5 and max my TSP contribution, at which point I'll have 32 years of service in, so 32% of my high three, then social security at age 62.  With even the minimum contribution for matching, I come up with more than I need if I work until 57.5.  My coworker will have 30 years in, I believe, when she hits age 57, which is her full retirement age.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3406 on: July 25, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
So I guess I get a face punch for the day, because I went out to eat with coworkers for lunch. I thought it would be nice to have a conversation over lunch but boy was I wrong. It started out with me talking about a house DW and I are looking at buying (we went and looked at it last night and people where curious what we thought). After that one coworker went on a mini rant about why he will never be able to buy a house because
A) who can save up 20%
B) his truck payment alone is $600
C) insurance is $200 a month for the truck
D) gas for the truck is $400 a month

The list went on to include utilities and the cost of food and all the material crap that you HAVE to buy and TAXES. It was the most miserable sob story I've ever had to listen to. I could barely hold the face punches back. I did however offer to help him set up a budget and get him on the right track (with the disclaimer that he would not like my advice).

Wow - his truck is costing him $1200/month (not counting maintenance) = $14400. Some people here live a whole year on that.

Maybe he's always out there Rollin Coal

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3407 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #3408 on: July 25, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
I know what you mean GrayGhost. He is just such a good kid I can't watch the downward spiral. I feel strange saying this but I think I am kind of a "role model" in this kids mind. If he does take me up on the offer I'm not going to start throwing face punches right off the bat or anything because I know they wouldn't be received well.

Well, if this kid really likes you and takes what you say seriously, you could try sitting down with him for a while and showing him some of MMM's math-heavy posts. For me, the most astonishing one was the Shockingly Simple Math to Early Retirement, because it is a simple graph that shows you the results of saving.

And you can also point out that you don't have to give up real luxuries in order to retire early. You can still live in an awesome house, have great food, friends, a car, running water, and other stuff. You can even travel, eat out, and engage in other things like that--just not to excess. You can also point out that the law of diminishing returns very much applies to cars and houses and stuff like that.

I guess a real problem with Mustachianism is that it's so hard to spread. Isn't that strange? It's relatively easy to convince people to vote one way or the other, you just have to employ some flash rhetoric and a few snazzy photos, but if you want them to live happier, safer, more sustainable lives, it's like pulling teeth!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3409 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »

We were talking this morning in the coffee room, and he casuly mentioned(this actually blew my mind a little) that him and his girl have to buy a new vehicle like a $50000 lexus becuase the driveway at their new house is steep and they may have issues driving the 2013 4x4 for explorer up the drive way... WTF HUH??

During the conversation on the explorer he explained that none of the other 12 cars they had between the two of them would work(12 cars two people what).  He also mentioned that the "spare" tire inventory for the cars was 34 tires.  He was also saying that maybe they should bite the bullett and but a Corvette annivery edition... he found one with less then 50000km for only 125000...

You win the Internet today. This is incredible.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3410 on: July 26, 2014, 04:26:23 AM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

If you ever want to sell it... :)

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
Overheard at Work
« Reply #3411 on: July 27, 2014, 03:56:55 AM »
I just want to say how much I love this thread. It's a guilty pleasure because it's surely not right to mock our fellow humans. But man, some of 'em make it really hard not too.

Sadly haven't got any good stories to share, partially because I'm self employed and my clients don't see me enough to divulge much of their financial wisdom. But I live in hope.

Edited for drunk spelling.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3412 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
Not from work, but from a gathering of friends last night. One of my friends I have almost not seen the last 6 month because she have worked so much and also earned equally much. So I figured she at this time had saved up a crap load of money, but to my surprise she suddenly blurted out:

"I have a really hard time getting ends to meet. I work and earn very much, but the money just seem to disappear"

We were all kind of shocked, as she lives for free in a family appartment, do not have a car or any other big expenses. But later the answer to this mystery started to emerge as she started talking about all the travelling she have done and things she have bought

- An upcoming (luxury) trip of 10 days where the living expenses (including her boyfriend) alone is at $ 6000 !!!! (I did not know that was even possible). She said they got their plane tickets for free (bonus points) so they could upgrade the hotel budget.
- A brand new TV costing $ 4000
- A new purse costing $ 1000

I was so baffled I just had nothing to ad or say other than: "I can see why your ends are not meeting" But I do offered to take a look at her personal finance to help her out getting an overview and she actually said yes :). Maybe I can give her an awakening

Then she took a taxi home costing her almost $ 100 (Even though the public transport was right next door, goes every 10 minutes and straight home to her and I would not cost her anything as she have a public transport card).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:10:50 AM by TheNorwegianGuy »

EricL

« Reply #3413 on: July 27, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
OMG, that car clown is AWESOME. They really exist, these people!?!
How about building an underground parking lot? Then its not so steep :D:D:D

(was caught drinking a beer in his parked car at a park a block away from his house),
Where you live its illegal to drink in a parked car? I should think you can do whatever you want in your car. (esp. if you are in the US). Of course, when he is driving after drinking... (here in germany thats mostly defined as "engine running", which is very logical, because then the car could move of its own.)

Germany's pretty cool about drinking.  (I think one of the reasons they don't have many alcohol issues is they don't give it the mystique Americans do by making it verboten.). But there are still issues.  Anytime a cop, even the Polizei, find you sitting in a functioning car drinking it's not a stretch for them to assume you may have driven there while drinking or intended to commit a DUI.  For Germany in particular you never want to grab a drink after a fender bender until well afterwards.  The Polizei were known to go to to a residence to conduct a breathalyzer test shortly after an accident and blowing the test to them was blowing the test. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:23:05 PM by EricL »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3414 on: July 27, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
I just want to say how much I love this thread. It's a guilty pleasure because it's surely not right to mock our fellow humans. But man, some of 'em make it really hard not too.

Sadly haven't got any good stories to share, partially because I'm self employed and my clients don't see me enough to divulge much of their financial wisdom. But I live in hope.

Edited for drunk spelling.

I hear ya. This is always the first thread I check every day!

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3415 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3416 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »

Heh. When I take it to car shows (rarer these days since I've got lots else on my plate and free Saturdays are a sparse) it's pretty much a given that someone will, whether jokingly or seriously, ask what I'd want for it. My stock answer is about $100k- which to my great amusement is often met by a response of, "Wow, that little?" The amusing thing is that I arrived at that $100k number by taking what it's likely worth (or would cost to replace)- about $25k- and mutliplying it by 4 so I'd have enough to buy another one in at least as good of shape, outfit it to my tastes, and still have a good bit of money left over. :P
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3417 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Deloreans aren't as rare or as expensive as people think... guy down the street has one, I've seen them on Ebay for $15K-$20K. I'd buy a basketcase one and do an engine swap to make it fast, too. All the style and speed of a $200K supercar, for a fraction of the cost.
Yup. Even the 'new build' ones DMCH was putting out for a while (haven't checked to see if they still do or not) were only around $50k. But most people don't have a clue as to what they're actually worth and assume it's worth far more than what it actually is. The $100k number is more a 'I have no interest at all in selling it, but if someone actually gave me it I'd take it and be far better off' number than something I expect anyone to pay. ;)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3418 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
I know it's off topic, but... neighbor's DMC tech day. Four Deloreans, I got to help work on them. Two were converted to carbs. None of them were worth more than $25K.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3419 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
I know it's off topic, but... neighbor's DMC tech day. Four Deloreans, I got to help work on them. Two were converted to carbs. None of them were worth more than $25K.

Only 4?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3420 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »

Then she took a taxi home costing her almost $ 100 (Even though the public transport was right next door, goes every 10 minutes and straight home to her and I would not cost her anything as she have a public transport card).

Of all the things you listed, this is the one I have the hardest time understanding. ...why?!

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3421 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »

Interesting! Especially the fact two were carbureted conversions, given I converted mine over to carbed while restoring it too. The only time I've ever seen another carbed one has been at the 2 DeLorean Car Shows I've been to where there were 40+ cars total and still only 2 or 3 of us running carbs. There were more engine-swapped cars than carbureted, including one awesome LS-4 swap. Honestly, the only time I see another one AT ALL is when I'm at a specific meetup for them- there are supposedly 3 or 4 around Central KY, but mine is the only one most people say they've ever actually seen.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3422 on: July 29, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
Only 4?

Is that first picture from the Indy St. Pat's parade, where they take them all out to the Speedway? I've wanted to get to that for a while but never have made it. The D-Rex (monster truck DeLorean) is a standard fixture at DeLorean Car Shows. Have only seen the DeLorean Limo the same guy is (or at least was) working on at one show.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3423 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »
Interesting! Especially the fact two were carbureted conversions, given I converted mine over to carbed while restoring it too. The only time I've ever seen another carbed one has been at the 2 DeLorean Car Shows I've been to where there were 40+ cars total and still only 2 or 3 of us running carbs. There were more engine-swapped cars than carbureted, including one awesome LS-4 swap. Honestly, the only time I see another one AT ALL is when I'm at a specific meetup for them- there are supposedly 3 or 4 around Central KY, but mine is the only one most people say they've ever actually seen.

A lot of D owners just don't drive them. To hard to fix them if something breaks, maybe? I don't know. Don't have much use for a car I can't drive.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #3424 on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
People at work talking about how they aren't "broke" because they have 200 dollars and payday is only three days away, so it's fine. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3425 on: July 30, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »
"I want to buy a really awesome watch. Like, a $5000 watch. But I can't buy it this year because I'm saving my whole wage for my wedding at the end of the year".

This lady at work is seriously saving her entire $60,000/yr teacher's wage on her wedding. She said they're living off her fiance's pay this year for all their expenses, and her's is going straight to the wedding. Oh man.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3426 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:09 AM »
"I want to buy a really awesome watch. Like, a $5000 watch. But I can't buy it this year because I'm saving my whole wage for my wedding at the end of the year".

This lady at work is seriously saving her entire $60,000/yr teacher's wage on her wedding. She said they're living off her fiance's pay this year for all their expenses, and her's is going straight to the wedding. Oh man.

Imagine if all of her salary were going toward investments instead...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3427 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:06 AM »
So I'm really getting tired of being called a tight ass at work for not buying my wife a newer car. We are in the process of buying a house that will put us a very walkable 1 block from her work and 7 blocks from mine. I don't see the need to pour a crap load of money into a new fancy pants car that will just sit in the garage. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. He also asked what she is going to do in the winter... I simply said wear more clothes. She would have almost as far to walk from the parking lot as she would the front door.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3428 on: July 30, 2014, 06:17:10 AM »
So I'm really getting tired of being called a tight ass at work for not buying my wife a newer car.
I was called "cheap" by two people at work who bought new gadgets as they came out and new trucks (totally unneeded because they did no hauling) every three years.  One of them died a couple weeks ago while working.  The other is still working.  I retired semi-early and started doing more fun things with my life.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3429 on: July 30, 2014, 06:38:05 AM »
I was called "cheap" by two people at work who bought new gadgets as they came out and new trucks (totally unneeded because they did no hauling) every three years.  One of them died a couple weeks ago while working.

Ha... ha?

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #3430 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
So I'm really getting tired of being called a tight ass at work for not buying my wife a newer car.

I posted earlier about a mom yelling at her grown daughter that she was cheap for not spending 'only' 5k more for the option on her car that would tell her where she parked it...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3431 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »

Imagine if all of her salary were going toward investments instead...

Yes - this could be a positive, they will obviously learn that they can live on just her fiance's pay, so maybe after the wedding they will start investing that 60K per year.  Or maybe the conclusion will be they can afford to buy brand new cars every single year.  Keep us posted Nudelkopf.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3432 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
A lot of D owners just don't drive them. To hard to fix them if something breaks, maybe? I don't know. Don't have much use for a car I can't drive.
Yup, that's been my experience too. I ALWAYS hear of someone who has one in their garage but never drives it. An ex-GF had a neighbor who had one that just sat, half taken apart, under a car cover in their garage. She told them I'd be more than happy to look it over and give them some help in getting it together and roadworthy, but they were content to just have it sitting there.

Parts aren't a problem- 99% of the parts on the car, I can have a replacement (usually New Old Stock, but for common wear items they still have them made) at my door in 24 hours if I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping. Finding a shop that you trust to work on one if you don't live near one of the official DMC shops though can be a challenge- but I've long been of the mind that you shouldn't own a classic car if you're not capable of doing at least a majority of the work to maintain it mechanically yourself, so I do all the work on mine myself outside of things like swapping tires. The K-Jet system can be a pain when something goes wrong, which is a large part of why I (and many of the others who have done so as well) converted it over to a carb which, while still not perfect, is a LOT simpler and has more people and resources available to work on than the K-Jet.

When I first bought it mine wasn't running and needed a lot of work, and I got asked ALL the time when people heard about it, "What are you going to do with it when you're done?" to which I'd usually look at them like they'd grown a third eye and answer, "Drive it." Right now it's my main car (though as I noted I ride my bike way more than driving at the moment) since my usual daily driver, the Saturn, has some issues I need to resolve before it can be safely driven. It has its quirks- I've never managed to track down the bad ground that means even with the battery cut-off switch that I'll have to have the battery charged back up every other month or so- but otherwise it's a great car to drive around.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3433 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
When I first bought it mine wasn't running and needed a lot of work, and I got asked ALL the time when people heard about it, "What are you going to do with it when you're done?" to which I'd usually look at them like they'd grown a third eye and answer, "Drive it." Right now it's my main car (though as I noted I ride my bike way more than driving at the moment) since my usual daily driver, the Saturn, has some issues I need to resolve before it can be safely driven. It has its quirks- I've never managed to track down the bad ground that means even with the battery cut-off switch that I'll have to have the battery charged back up every other month or so- but otherwise it's a great car to drive around.

A few guys ran 1/2" ground cables to fix those weird grounding issues... apparently the frame doesn't make a good ground.

Also, +1 for Saturns. I have an Ion Red Line. It's actually faster and rarer than a Delorean, but not nearly as cool.

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3434 on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
I was called "cheap" by two people at work who bought new gadgets as they came out and new trucks (totally unneeded because they did no hauling) every three years.  One of them died a couple weeks ago while working.

Ha... ha?

It's not really funny but it is a cause for celebration; I have heard around here several times someone who plans to work until they die, and to see someone set a life-long goal and to nail it with such precision is outstanding. We should all be so tenacious.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3435 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »
A few guys ran 1/2" ground cables to fix those weird grounding issues... apparently the frame doesn't make a good ground.

Also, +1 for Saturns. I have an Ion Red Line. It's actually faster and rarer than a Delorean, but not nearly as cool.
Mine has something similar, a new ground line that runs from the battery to the frame (rear trailing arm bolt) and then over to the transmission. It's never been a problem with things not getting enough power but just that the battery will invariably drain down when it sits even when I've used the battery cut-off to disconnect all but the radio from the battery. I really should find a way to keep the radio settings from getting lost from an alternate power source so I can totally disconnect the battery when it's sitting. It will become less of an issue when I get the garage cleared out and I can have it in the garage hooked up to a battery tender.

Being faster than a DeLorean isn't a particularly hefty feat, but the Ion Red Line is a very nice car. I personally have always wanted (and still kind of do, though it's completely impractical) a Saturn Sky and was rather disappointed when DMC's attempt at buying the factory & production line fell through. My S-Series has been a great car for the last 14 years and will hopefully continue to be for a while to come- though ironically it would probably be the vehicle I'd be most likely to sell if my bike commuting works out well over the winter months.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #3436 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
And, combining DeLoreans and personal finance a little bit more... The teller at my bank asked if we were planning on buying a house because of the large balance in the account. I said no, I had a large credit card bill coming (medical expenses). (Anyway, not the smartest guy because the amount in questions is about 5% of what you'd need for a down payment around here, but whatever) He sympathized and said that he had just finished paying off the 30K it took to restore his DeLorean which was now worth 60K. I suggested that this would be a great time to sell and put the money in investments. He said no, he was waiting MJ Fox to die and would necroprofit then. I didn't feel like talking about compounding, etc.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3437 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
And, combining DeLoreans and personal finance a little bit more... The teller at my bank asked if we were planning on buying a house because of the large balance in the account. I said no, I had a large credit card bill coming (medical expenses). (Anyway, not the smartest guy because the amount in questions is about 5% of what you'd need for a down payment around here, but whatever) He sympathized and said that he had just finished paying off the 30K it took to restore his DeLorean which was now worth 60K. I suggested that this would be a great time to sell and put the money in investments. He said no, he was waiting MJ Fox to die and would necroprofit then. I didn't feel like talking about compounding, etc.

Ouch. 30K is more- close to the order of twice to be exact- than I spent buying and fixing mine up to where it is now, I can't IMAGINE spending 30K to restore it! And I suspect that he's going to be rather shocked when he does indeed decide to sell it- there are VERY few DMC-12 that would sell for that much money- usually I believe just the ones that have some kind of unique history to them that make them stand out (like the one Johnny Carson owned). I've seen people trying to sell DeLorean Time Machine conversion cars for upwards of 50k, but very rarely actually selling them at that price since it's a very niche market (and in many places I believe it can't be driven normally on the roads...).

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3438 on: July 30, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Jerry Seinfeld drove a Delorean on the Patton Oswalt episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and it broke down within seconds of picking Oswalt up - http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/patton-oswalt-how-would-you-kill-superman

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3439 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
Ouch. 30K is more- close to the order of twice to be exact- than I spent buying and fixing mine up to where it is now, I can't IMAGINE spending 30K to restore it!

I bet he added a flux capacitor.  I hear those are pretty spendy.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3440 on: July 30, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »
I commented on a coworker's lunch smelling good when I went to heat mine up.  She had meatloaf.  I commented that I had been thinking about making meatloaf because I just stocked up on ground beef on sale.

"Oh, I bought this at Trader Joe's.  It's a really good deal.  I can cut it in half, and it's only $5."

I buy a pound of (non-organic, but no hormones, etc) beef on sale for $3.  For $5, I can make enough meatloaf to feed my family for a week.

Crazy!

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3441 on: July 30, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
Ouch. 30K is more- close to the order of twice to be exact- than I spent buying and fixing mine up to where it is now, I can't IMAGINE spending 30K to restore it!

They're not exactly cheap, at least for replica prop variety- I've seen them around $300 on eBay. It's not the flux capacitor it will get you, it's getting the Plutonium...

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3442 on: July 30, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »

Ha... ha?

It's not really funny but it is a cause for celebration; I have heard around here several times someone who plans to work until they die, and to see someone set a life-long goal and to nail it with such precision is outstanding. We should all be so tenacious.

LOL

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3443 on: July 30, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
I commented on a coworker's lunch smelling good when I went to heat mine up.  She had meatloaf.  I commented that I had been thinking about making meatloaf because I just stocked up on ground beef on sale.

"Oh, I bought this at Trader Joe's.  It's a really good deal.  I can cut it in half, and it's only $5."

I buy a pound of (non-organic, but no hormones, etc) beef on sale for $3.  For $5, I can make enough meatloaf to feed my family for a week.

Crazy!

hmm,   with fillers, that $5 is still just 2 normal size meatloaves, or two family dinners -- and that feeds your family for a week?  Mine tend to eat a lot of meatloaf (1 lb + per dinner) at one sitting when I make it...   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:52:32 PM by goldielocks »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3444 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »

Of course they're expensive.  It's what... makes... time... travel... possible!

In my search for a pic of a flux capacitor, I came across this NSFW pic... be forewarned.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6135899904/h7AE97F1D/

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3445 on: July 30, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »

Ha... ha?

LOL
It's sad because he made 150% of what I made and spent it all instead of saving it.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3446 on: July 30, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »

Crazy!

hmm,   with fillers, that $5 is still just 2 normal size meatloaves, or two family dinners -- and that feeds your family for a week?  Mine tend to eat a lot of meatloaf (1 lb + per dinner) at one sitting when I make it...

My kids are 3 and 19 months.  The 3-year old won't touch the meatloaf, and the 19-month old will eat only a little.  :)

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3447 on: July 30, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
At school, one of my classmates walked in smiling from ear to ear.

"I bought a new car yesterday!  Got a great deal on it, I talked them down from 2X,XXX to 16,XXX and put a lot down so I'm only financing several thousand (didn't specify the amount) for 5 years.  What's even better is that I spent $XXXX on the warranties and undercoating/other shit so I'll be covered if absolutely anything happens."

This was the same person who told me that they were no longer interested in finishing their major, hasn't the slightest idea what's going on in the future, has a part time job and lives with parents.  What's even better is that they had originally walked on the lot looking for a used car...  This is one of the most book-smart folks I know, A student and everything.  To their credit, they had been sharing a car with a parent and saving money for the down payment.

I must have had a completely lost look on my face, with how my other classmate nudged me to see if I was OK.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3448 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:01 AM »
Finally got one. I do payroll for a company. They're new to me, and they get paid on the last working day of the month. So one of the ladies in the office comes in with her timesheets and asks when the pay will go in (I think, the same day it always does. But I'm new to them, so maybe it's not always been thus) I tell her, and she pulls a face. "Some months are longer than others eh?" I say. She nods. Fast forward 4 hours, the director comes in and asks me to pay everyone the day before the end of the month. Because "people have got direct debits coming out on the last day"

I'm thinking, why ask me to move the date of the payroll? Why not ask them to move their darned DDs? And also, try keeping a buffer in case you don't get paid. It helps, trust me. I do not understand that logic. But he's the boss, so a day earlier it is. *sigh*

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #3449 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
Lizfish, I have seen moments like that. Our pay day was usually 5 days after the 1st since our bosses had to put everything in and weren't there always. I had a coworker complaining that her rent was due and that she was struggling to pay it. Seriously? We know the paychecks will be late, where was your second paycheck going? Other coworkers ask me when we get paid, I tell them 5 days after the date they originally told us. Is is that hard to remember without freaking out it is late? I don't care when the paychecks go in as long as I'm paid at some point.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!