Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252631 times)

momo

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #300 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
My coworker recently took out a 3k loan to pay for a stem cell treatment for her 12 year old dog's arthritic knees.  I love dogs and all, but, come on now.

That's a bargain compared to one coworker who laments about the high costs of her two horses, paralyzed dog, and teenage daughter. Oh and she also wants to buy a larger ranch to build stables on-site instead of how she is currently renting stables. :) She informed me horses cost a ton of money. The thought never crossed my mind because I cannot afford a horse let alone two!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
All of these examples show a real lack of effort on the part of the US gvt to educate its citizens about simple financial matters.

Why should it be the government's responsiblity to educate people?  Shouldn't they have some responsibility for educating themselves?

Besides, in a democracy the government has a positive incentive not to create an educated citizenry, since as soon as a majority of the people become educated, they will vote the government out of office.

Sure. People should take responsibility. However, we live in a society with advertising everywhere and financial teaching nowhere in schools. When do you think a typical 12 year old with acquisitive parents would pick up good
financial knowledge?

It is very hard for someone to learn something if they do not know the subject exits. =-)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »
Literally JUST heard this from two people having a conversation behind me.

Guy 1: "I need to buy a new car soon, my current car has 303,000 MILES (!) on it"

I had thought wow, good on that guy for driving such a older high mileage car until it essentially dies, what a mustachian.

Guy 2: "Wow, how old is it?"

Guy 1: "8 years ago it was brand new, I have a long ass commute plus drive places nearly every weekend."

*facepalm*

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »

Guy 1: "I need to buy a new car soon, my current car has 303,000 MILES (!) on it"

I had thought wow, good on that guy for driving such a older high mileage car until it essentially dies, what a mustachian.

Guy 1: "8 years ago it was brand new, I have a long ass commute plus drive places nearly every weekend."

*facepalm*

Does that really break down to almost a month worth of car time in a single year? *shudder*

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: May 17, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
I must work with people who either manage their money well or at least do not talk about it (or complain about not having money).

However, I have neighbors. One has said to me several times over the past 7-10 years that she's put nothing away for retirement. I find this terrifying every time she says it. She's dependent upon her husband's income, and I shudder to think what would happen if he passed away. I gently suggested life insurance many years ago. When she was not interested, I let the subject drop.

Also, they take multiple expensive trips, eat expensive food and live in a pricey house. I get worried whenever I think about her not saving anything.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: May 17, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
Overheard through the floor/ceiling from our downstairs neighbor couple:
They're $200,000 in debt and counting from law school, and although Mrs. Downstairs Neighbor has some kind of lowish salaried public service job, I come home daily to piles of Nordstroms and Lands End packages by their mailbox. Mr. DN likes to yell about these. They recently decided to get an enormous energetic puppy in our small 2 bedroom apartment building, which promptly chewed something to shards and needed thousands of dollars worth of emergency surgery. They fight loudly all the time because Mrs. DN is desperate to have children like the rest of her family before she is too old, while Mr. DN refuses to have to trade in his new (financed) SUV to be seen driving around a minivan or 'god forbid, riding around on a bike like a complete loser' because they have an expensive baby to pay for. (We live 3 blocks from a commuter train station that will get you downtown in 15 min with no stops.)

It may sound like I made that last bit up specifically for MMM, but this was literally his argument for not having children yet. He'd rather be seen in a nice car. Mrs. DN was busy retorting how expensive IFT for her aging ovaries was going to be instead. If it were one or two things, there would be hope of turning this around, but hearing this whole situation through the floorboards just makes me want to hug the very reasonable Mrs. Reepekg a little tighter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:15:05 PM by Reepekg »

aclarridge

« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »

*facepalm*

Does that really break down to almost a month worth of car time in a single year? *shudder*

Holy crap. Ok let me get this straight.

That works out to 3156 miles/mo. At an overall average speed of 50 mph (very hard to achieve that, i.e. extremely conservative) that's 63 hrs/mo. Assuming 7hrs of sleep a night, in a 31 day month that's 12% of the guy's waking hours spent in a car. Clearly he works - that's 8 hrs/workday or at least 21*8=168 hrs/mo, so that means he's spending 18% of his non-work/sleep life in a car. Yes, a month per year of car time.

If he does any city driving at all, a more realistic average speed would be 25 mph. That's 126 hrs/mo, and 35% of his non-work/sleep life in a car. Two months per year of car time.

This could be the worst commute I've ever heard of - but the other terrible commute I know of had the guy commuting 3hrs one way. So 6hrs/day on workdays. There was basically no time for him to do anything. This was a guy with a wife and kids as well, and he did it for 5 years I think.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
It may sound like I made that last bit up specifically for MMM, but this was literally his argument for not having children yet. He'd rather be seen in a nice car.

On the other hand, that's one of the better arguments I've heard for driving a "nice" car :-)

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #308 on: May 17, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »
Well, I put 135000 kilometers (83.8k miles) on my car in three years of owning it. That averages out to 123 kilometers per day, or 1.25 hours at an average speed of 80km/h.

I mean, this was mostly before trying to get a bit better with money, bike commuting, et cetera, but I still have a job that involves driving A LOT (which is compensated), and I really like road trips. I've driven from Halifax, NS to Mexico and all around Canada and the Eastern US a few times, those are some of the best vacations I've had.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »

*facepalm*

That works out to 3156 miles/mo. At an overall average speed of 50 mph (very hard to achieve that, i.e. extremely conservative) that's 63 hrs/mo. Assuming 7hrs of sleep a night, in a 31 day month that's 12% of the guy's waking hours spent in a car. Clearly he works - that's 8 hrs/workday or at least 21*8=168 hrs/mo, so that means he's spending 18% of his non-work/sleep life in a car. Yes, a month per year of car time.

If he does any city driving at all, a more realistic average speed would be 25 mph. That's 126 hrs/mo, and 35% of his non-work/sleep life in a car. Two months per year of car time.

This could be the worst commute I've ever heard of - but the other terrible commute I know of had the guy commuting 3hrs one way. So 6hrs/day on workdays. There was basically no time for him to do anything. This was a guy with a wife and kids as well, and he did it for 5 years I think.

For 3 1/2 years I had a 70+ mile each way commute from NJ to Greenwich, CT.  I put at least 3000 miles a month on the car.  It was horrible, but I did it because I made more money than I have ever seen doing it.  Never again, now that the money is in the bank.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »

*facepalm*

Yeah, and the extra sad part is he's been doing it for at least 10-15 years, he's been with the company 20 but I think he moved farther away for a bigger house after a previous promotion.

I would lose my mind.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #311 on: May 18, 2013, 01:28:07 AM »
Some people like driving.  I do... it's just not worth the cost.  But if I lived back in the days of cheap gas and no environmental consequences, I'd be cruisin all over the place.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: May 18, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
Yeah, personally I love driving.

Combine a long commute with audiobooks and podcasts and I could be quite happy with it, if it weren't for the insane costs.

That's another reason that I really love public transit: low cost and I still get to get my podcast fix.

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
Colleague, "OMG, we LIVE on our line of credit".

This same colleague griped to me that I don't have to pay 20k a year for kids sports, "you don't get it" she said.

I get it, no worries there.

KingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
What kids sports cost $20,000 per year? I need to know in order to keep my kids far, far away from them.

This same colleague griped to me that I don't have to pay 20k a year for kids sports, "you don't get it" she said.

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »
What kids sports cost $20,000 per year? I need to know in order to keep my kids far, far away from them.

Hockey for 2 kids, not house league mind you, but still, 20k.

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »

Ouch, wow.  And hockey's one of the two sports I hope my eventual son wants to play (it'll be entirely his choice, not mine, of course).  If my mortgage is paid off, and all other costs stay the same, my budget would be over 50% "the kid's hockey."

And now I just wonder what Pop Warner costs these days... maybe I'll not look it up. 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »
Ouch, wow.  And hockey's one of the two sports I hope my eventual son wants to play...

I wonder if anyone else sees a certain reality disconnect between hockey and Los Angeles?  I mean, even though I'm no sports fan, I do know that hockey is played on ice, and even if there were ponds in the LA Basin, it's been about 10,000 years since it was cold enough for skateable ice.

If you really want the kid to play hockey in a Mustachian fashion, move to Canada.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
Kids I grew up with used to play "hockey" with toy light sabers / baseball bats / tennis racquets / anything long and thin and tennis balls.

We also used to play golf with cricket bats and stumps

Endless free fun

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:06 AM »
My kids school gives each class in turn a bag of 'old fashioned' toys to play with for a week, today, the small boy and his bestie used the rubber chickens to play tennis at interval (recess?) they immediately christened their game "chennis"
Your story about cricket bats  for golf reminded me of chennis, and it is amazing how much all the kids love getting the bag of toys for the week - rubber chickens, various balls, skipping ropes, hula hoops......

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
I wonder if anyone else sees a certain reality disconnect between hockey and Los Angeles?  I mean, even though I'm no sports fan, I do know that hockey is played on ice, and even if there were ponds in the LA Basin, it's been about 10,000 years since it was cold enough for skateable ice.

Hockey is very popular in Australia.. But we obviously only really tend to play field hockey. One american exchange student found it hilarious that so many men play field hockey at schools/colleges. She thought it was a very feminine sport.

I loved "French cricket" as a kid. [\offtopic]

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #321 on: May 20, 2013, 08:28:36 AM »
Ouch, wow.  And hockey's one of the two sports I hope my eventual son wants to play...

If you really want the kid to play hockey in a Mustachian fashion, move to Canada.

Los Angeles isn't where I intend to retire or raise children.  But it does have the same climate as the candidate cities.  While professional no-adjective hockey is played on ice, there are plenty of youth leagues that aren't on ice.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
I was talking about my costco purchases at work
me - I bought 20 pounds of flour
co-worker - what would you use 20 pounds of flour for?
me - well, for example, I made pancakes yesterday.
co-worker - you put flour in your pancake mix!?

face-palm!

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
mpbaker22:  That is AMAZING! I am cracking up!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Kids I grew up with used to play "hockey" with toy light sabers / baseball bats / tennis racquets / anything long and thin and tennis balls.

Yeah, and our baseball field spent most of its time as a cow pasture.  Which did encourage a certain nimbleness, and paying attention to where you placed your feet :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »

Los Angeles isn't where I intend to retire or raise children.  But it does have the same climate as the candidate cities.  While professional no-adjective hockey is played on ice, there are plenty of youth leagues that aren't on ice.

Out of curiosity, which mustachian candidate cities have similar weather to LA?  I'd love me some of that weather without the cost.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »

face-palm!

I mentioned to someone that I grind my own flour. She looked at me like I was nuts. It took me a bit to realize what she thought was strange.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
*co-worker who talks on the phone constantly, so I know she doesn't have $1000 in the bank, has credit card debt, a new car loan, a mortgage that's at the top of their price range, and yet thinks she's the adult and responsible one (all because she popped out a kid, but that's another story).

"I can't get in and out of Target without spending $100"
"Shopping is my hobby" .... "I can't do X because we don't have the money"
"My husband spends so much, it's causing all our problems" .... "I spend $1000/month on food and a lot of it goes to waste"
"Gas is so expensive" .  . . in her giant SUV while driving 45 minutes to work.

The cognitive dissonance is killing me!!! 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #328 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

face-palm!

I mentioned to someone that I grind my own flour. She looked at me like I was nuts. It took me a bit to realize what she thought was strange.

Honestly I probably would too.  Can I assume you do it for quality as opposed to frugality?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »
Taekwondo tournaments at the national/world level.

Our dojang actually put together a non-profit foundation for fund-raisers and donations to help defray the travel expenses.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
"You need to earn at least $95k a year to be comfortable".. From a PhD student currently on about $35k :P So, yeah. I'm doing fine on my $15k a year, lol.

Neighbor Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »
My coworker is shopping for a cheaper cable rate. When adding up how many receivers she needs I asked her why she would pay $10 per month for a receiver for a spare bedroom that sleeps people maybe 5-10 nights per year. She disagreed with me but within an hour decided it wasn't worth the cost. Having made that much progress I told her to ditch cable altogether. She gave me the "you know that's not possible" look.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »

So why do you want kids (or adults) to do stuff at that level?  Seems to take all the fun out of it, and turn it into a job.  Not to mention that it completely misses (IMHO, anyway) the point of studying a martial art.

Royale with Moustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »

So why do you want kids (or adults) to do stuff at that level?  Seems to take all the fun out of it, and turn it into a job.  Not to mention that it completely misses (IMHO, anyway) the point of studying a martial art.

Because it's fun. Seeing yourself improve is a great feeling (although it is easier to track in something like swimming as opposed to Taekwondo I would assume). If you could become one of the best at something and you enjoy doing it, why not?

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »

Because odds are you love the sport that much. You want to continue getting better and once you reach a certain level you cannot get better without competing against people of a similar caliber.

Also I don't think there is one singular point to studying a martial art.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »

When I was younger I was a regional fencing champion and competed at the national level. I'm sure my parents still have a mortgage because of it. It was a huge investment, including tournaments I fenced around 40 hours a week for about six years while going to grade school.

At that level, it's really about love for the sport, seeking perfection, and larger opportunities. I was scouted by universities all over Canada and met with a scout from Harvard, for instance.

Starstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
I just talked to a client who is *panicked* because the bank is demanding 10% down on his ($380,000) purchase rather than the 5% he'd planned on. He needed the rest of the money from the sale of his very nice condo to pay down his tens of thousands in credit card debt. He's 26. I'm going to need therapy if I keep working in finance.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

Because it's fun. Seeing yourself improve is a great feeling (although it is easier to track in something like swimming as opposed to Taekwondo I would assume). If you could become one of the best at something and you enjoy doing it, why not?

For the 20,000 reasons mentioned above :-)

And the point of any martial art is, or should be, self defense.

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

For the 20,000 reasons mentioned above :-)

And the point of any martial art is, or should be, self defense.

Haha, I do like your 20,000 reasons, but I suppose if you're at that level, you will be making the conscious choice that this money will make your life $20,000 better.

But I don't know if I can agree with your second point. Somethings can be enjoyable for themselves. Playing football has no practical use, but people still love playing. And if you're wanting self defense, buy a gun, probably cheaper and more efficient. Martial arts have become like any other sport nowadays.

GreenGuava

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
Out of curiosity, which mustachian candidate cities have similar weather to LA?  I'd love me some of that weather without the cost.

So... something of a heads-up:  there's a reason housing costs more in that sort of weather.  Demand and all that.

I'm probably hurting the "I'd like my eventual kids to be able to play hockey" line of thinking, but Phoenix (AZ) is currently my top choice.  But - and this is a serious warning - you have to like the heat come summer.  Not only do I, I've regularly gone to there and Palm Springs (CA) in summer for vacation.  Also, houses seem far more reasonably priced than in Los Angeles.

I also like Irvine (CA).  It's just down the coast from L.A., very much able to be biked around, very safe, maybe a little pricey in the housing department (I haven't checked). 

Would either of these cities top MMM's list of mustachian cities?  Almost certainly not.  But both have decent public transport and can be reasonably biked around (be sure to bring plenty of water in the summer, especially in Phoenix).  Both have inexpensive entertainment options.  Both are places where getting solar panels will probably make sense and pay for themselves quickly.

To me, part of the motivation of being frugal is having the money to spend on the things you want to spend it on - and for me, living in these conditions is worth that I'll probably have to either retire a few years later or work part-time in the first few years of my retirement.  If I can find a part-time job I can enjoy in one of these cities, all the better towards that goal.  But my non-housing expenses - even in Los Angeles - are so low that I'm not really worried.

Long story short:  it's not as low-cost as many other areas in the country, but it can be done.  It's all a matter of how much you're willing to spend (or, how much of your life you're willing to work to be able to spend the rest of it in these places).  Only you can decide if the trade-off is worth it to you.

There are also parts of Palm Springs - and Riverside County in general - that is pretty inexpensive, but investigate the neighborhood before being too excited about it.  Some are good, some ... aren't.

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »

Hockey can cost a fortune. Recently I was talking to neighbour who is hoping her son makes the traveling hockey team next year. They are estimating it will cost about 10k per year when you factor in the hotel and traveling costs. More when he's older. Ouch.

My favorite part of the conversation is when she talked about him "earning" a scholarship since they can't afford to save up for college or university. (what??) She explained that one of her coworkers' son is hoping for a scholarship, and the parents figure they have spent over 80k for his sports so far. They will surpass 100k before he finishes high school.  I'm in Canada; unless things have changed, scholarships for sports here are rather rare, and undergrad degrees don't cost anywhere near 100k.

When I made the comment that paying for their son's university would have been much cheaper for her coworker she was speechless. I really don't think that had ever occurred to her. (Or she thought I was a moron... I'd like to believe my comment was illuminating :)

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
I thought this article was an interesting take on competitive hockey: http://youngandthrifty.ca/the-anti-hockey-scholarship-hockey-is-not-an-investment/
The author is suggesting putting the money spent on hockey into a RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan, Canadian version of the 529 plans) instead of paying for hockey.

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
I thought this article was an interesting take on competitive hockey: http://youngandthrifty.ca/the-anti-hockey-scholarship-hockey-is-not-an-investment/
The author is suggesting putting the money spent on hockey into a RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan, Canadian version of the 529 plans) instead of paying for hockey.

Thanks! That article is spot on in my opinion. I love how the author sums up our generous Canadian scholarships:

"The return on the investment is a little easier to figure out.  Hockey players on scholarship in Canada (as well as players that get 3-4 years of school paid for as a result of Major Junior careers) can look forward to about $3,000-$5,000 worth of “free” tuition for four years.  We’ll say about a $20,000 return on an original investment that is almost assuredly several thousand more than that. "

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »
But I don't know if I can agree with your second point. Somethings can be enjoyable for themselves. Playing football has no practical use, but people still love playing.

I have to disagree on that.  I don't think many people really love playing football.  How often do you see adults (other than professionals) playing football?  (I never have, while there are plenty of adult softball, basketball, soccer &c programs.)  My impression is that kids tend to be forced into the Pop Warner-style programs in order to gratify their dad's egos.  If they continue playing in high school, it's to get the perks that come from being a football player, rather than from any love of the game.

And if you're wanting self defense, buy a gun, probably cheaper and more efficient.

Getting away from the thread, but I don't think guns are a particularly efficient means of self-defense, in most circumstances.  First, you have to be carrying the gun when you need it, in such a way that you can get it out in a hurry (not in the bottom of purse or backpack).  Then if you do have it and manage to use it, odds are (depending on jurisdiction &c) you wind up in a mess of legal trouble.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
But I don't know if I can agree with your second point. Somethings can be enjoyable for themselves. Playing football has no practical use, but people still love playing.

I have to disagree on that.  I don't think many people really love playing football.  How often do you see adults (other than professionals) playing football?  (I never have, while there are plenty of adult softball, basketball, soccer &c programs.)  My impression is that kids tend to be forced into the Pop Warner-style programs in order to gratify their dad's egos.  If they continue playing in high school, it's to get the perks that come from being a football player, rather than from any love of the game.

May just be your social group. I've played way more football as an adult than I ever did when I was younger. Most of the people at my old office (probably 45 out of 60 people) played three or four times a week in a cool little pickup league. It was way more popular than ultimate frisbee or soccer, though not as popular as floor hockey.

Royale with Moustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

I feel like I could say the same thing about learning to play an instrument. How many adults do you know that play trumpet aside from professionals? That doesn't mean people didn't enjoy learning to play it in school. What about being in a play in school? Why bother when the chance you can be a professional actor be so low? Just because some people didn't enjoy sports as a kid doesn't mean everyone else didn't enjoy them either.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Football is a bit harder to organize than most sports which is probably why it isn't more popular among adults.  It's my favorite sport to play, and I don't watch it (or any other) at all.

Also, I recall reading somewhere that most forms of "defense" that involve confrontation are more likely to increase your danger than compliance.  Obviously situations will vary, but if you're getting mugged just giving the guy your wallet is about the safest thing you can do.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Not that I play football, but I love playing netball. And I'm happy to pay, as an adult, for that fun. And it's great! I'm really sad that my social season has just ended! (We got to the finals, yay). I started in primary school, but then got pretty into it in high school (played on all rep teams, etc), and then I played socially at uni. One of the requirements of the next town I move to, for work, will be that it has a netball competition.  I don't know why football would be any different to any other sport.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:02:28 PM by Nudelkopf »

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
Not overheard, but SEEN at work:

I went to grab some printing off the copier and saw that my manager had printed of a repair estimate for his car. The total was $750. Yeah, I'm sooo glad I don't have a car! I don't remember what he drives, because I don't give a crap about cars, but I do know it is shiny, new-looking, and has leather seats. So I'm willing to bet it is a waste of money :)

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »
I went to grab some printing off the copier and saw that my manager had printed of a repair estimate for his car. The total was $750.

$750 is actually not that expensive of an auto repair. You can easily have things go wrong that are more expensive than that to fix.