Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252473 times)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2900 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »

Ah, the Skye and Pontiac Solstice are the two I've narrowed it down to, the convertible that I'll never get.  :) I like the front end of the Pontiac better, but love the rear end of the Skye. In red, of course!

So you like the more serious look of the Solstice? They are the identical car except for the styling on the front and back, I think. I feel very fortunate to have mine. I'm pretty sure she smiles at me whenever I drive her. Though if i could move back to a place where I could bicycle or walk to work (or not work and just bicycle an walk to my errands) that would be ideal. :)

I much prefer the styling of the Sky personally- but then my (usual, when it's not out of commission with a front end issue I've not gotten around to resolving but haven't had to worry about since I ride to work most days...) daily driver is a Saturn S-series. I was sorely disappointed when DMC's attempt to buy the factory and rights to the Kappa platform fell through since it would have been fun seeing what they could have done with it.

I'd considered getting a Sky down the line so I'd have a convertible for our beautiful weather here again (used to have an RX-7 convertible), but unfortunately with already having one 2-seat 'fun' car I'm looking more at restoring and rebuilding a Corvair convertible instead.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2901 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »

Ah, the Skye and Pontiac Solstice are the two I've narrowed it down to, the convertible that I'll never get.  :) I like the front end of the Pontiac better, but love the rear end of the Skye. In red, of course!

So you like the more serious look of the Solstice? They are the identical car except for the styling on the front and back, I think. I feel very fortunate to have mine. I'm pretty sure she smiles at me whenever I drive her. Though if i could move back to a place where I could bicycle or walk to work (or not work and just bicycle an walk to my errands) that would be ideal. :)

I much prefer the styling of the Sky personally- but then my (usual, when it's not out of commission with a front end issue I've not gotten around to resolving but haven't had to worry about since I ride to work most days...) daily driver is a Saturn S-series. I was sorely disappointed when DMC's attempt to buy the factory and rights to the Kappa platform fell through since it would have been fun seeing what they could have done with it.

I'd considered getting a Sky down the line so I'd have a convertible for our beautiful weather here again (used to have an RX-7 convertible), but unfortunately with already having one 2-seat 'fun' car I'm looking more at restoring and rebuilding a Corvair convertible instead.

I like the Solstice/Sky and I've thought about getting a Sky Redline, but I'm going to go for a Miata instead because I think it has better build quality / reliability.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #2902 on: June 16, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
Not an overheard at work but more of an observation. 

There is currently (as in I can see him out the window) a guy sleeping in his Dodge Ram 4X4 quad cab with extra large tires that appears to have never even been on a dirt road, let alone off-road in the parking lot.  He's been out there for about an hour and a half.  Windows rolled up, truck running, AC blasting. 

That's about as antimustachian as you can get. 

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #2903 on: June 16, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
"How do you get by with only 1,600 SF" [with three kids].

Shakes head.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #2904 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
I finally have a good work story. After lunch, a couple coworkers and I will go for a short 10-minute walk around the block if the weather is nice. For the last two weeks, we've seen a dude hanging out in his car to read the newspaper and eat his lunch... and he keeps his car running with the A/C. It's so incredibly dumb and pathetic. I don't think he works at my company since he's parked a couple streets from us, but my coworkers and I all think this guy is a complete idiot for doing this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2905 on: June 16, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

There is currently (as in I can see him out the window) a guy sleeping in his Dodge Ram 4X4 quad cab with extra large tires that appears to have never even been on a dirt road, let alone off-road in the parking lot.  He's been out there for about an hour and a half.  Windows rolled up, truck running, AC blasting. 

Maybe he lives there

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2906 on: June 16, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
Years ago when we were able to upgrade to a 1600 sq ft house with 5 people we thought we had died & went to heaven. People have gotten so spoiled!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #2907 on: June 17, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »

Maybe he lives there

I hope so.  That truck probably cost more than my house to buy and probably costs more per month to own than my house. 

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2908 on: June 17, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
I overheard coworkers complaining today about how our low pay necessitates that we live paycheck-to-paycheck.

...rrrrrrrrrright. That must be why almost everyone is traveling internationally this summer.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2909 on: June 17, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
To paraphrase: it's summer and if I go outside I get hot and sweaty, therefore I must by a car.  Not a bike, not a scooter, a car.  Nevermind that life has gone on for the past 8 months where she hasn't had one.  Nevermind that you really don't need one where she lives.  But, but, air conditioning!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2910 on: June 17, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
New graduate just starting their first week, 'How can I get my overtime approved?'

Me thinking, wait - you don't know jack sh*t yet, and I can't even find enough work yet to keep you busy during regular hours, and you want me to approve overtime so you can sit around and surf the internet???

Same coworker... When do they pay out overtime?
Me - when you've banked 80 hours they will start paying out overtime above that on your next paycheck.
CW - but what if I depend on regular overtime pay?

Me thinking - don't budget based on overtime pay, we don't even get that much overtime in this line of work.

CW (later) - did you know you can get HR to wave that bank 80 hours thing and they'll pay out all overtime earned immediately?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2911 on: June 17, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
New graduate just starting their first week, 'How can I get my overtime approved?'

Me thinking, wait - you don't know jack sh*t yet, and I can't even find enough work yet to keep you busy during regular hours, and you want me to approve overtime so you can sit around and surf the internet???

Yeah I have a coworker that started and had a vacation within a few weeks he wanted covered with comp time.  So he basically worked bogus overtime to get it.

Did I mention we were forced to hire him?  Yay for state government (only instance I have of someone who doesn't work hard and is just graft/nepotism).  He applied, was rejected, and it came down through high up channels that we had to hire him anyway.  His dad is Someone in politics.  Luckily we were still able to hire the other (qualified) guy although it got substantially delayed.  We all know the story, I'm wondering if he knows we know - or even cares that his coworkers universally all don't think highly of him as a result.

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2912 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
I have a worth story though not at work. One of our neighbor is on disability. They were worried about paying for small luxuries for their 12 year son last year as the only money coming in is as i said disability amount.
But Last Saturday i saw the father go to second cup - fancy Canadian coffee shop for 2 morning cuppa of java and yesterday with more frustration i saw them running the sprinkler for 6 hours in their tiny front yard when in the morning it rained nice and wet.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2913 on: June 17, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
I have a worth story though not at work. One of our neighbor is on disability. They were worried about paying for small luxuries for their 12 year son last year as the only money coming in is as i said disability amount.
But Last Saturday i saw the father go to second cup - fancy Canadian coffee shop for 2 morning cuppa of java and yesterday with more frustration i saw them running the sprinkler for 6 hours in their tiny front yard when in the morning it rained nice and wet.

Is their grass drowning? I've got 8 zones combined front and back yard, and watering for six hours would kill my grass.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #2914 on: June 17, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
I overheard coworkers complaining today about how our low pay necessitates that we live paycheck-to-paycheck.

...rrrrrrrrrright. That must be why almost everyone is traveling internationally this summer.

Wait, they think they have low pay? I though English teachers in korea made more than the average wage. If it is true they are low paid, they should head over here, we make about double the average wage.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2915 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »

Wait, they think they have low pay? I though English teachers in korea made more than the average wage. If it is true they are low paid, they should head over here, we make about double the average wage.

Most of the people involved in that conversation are married to Koreans, so they're pretty rooted in Korea. Maybe even this city specifically. My university does pay on the lower end of the scale, but I'm still saving 75%+ of my income... including two trips to America this year (excessive! Never again). I'm certainly not living paycheck-to-paycheck...

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #2916 on: June 17, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
I was talking to a coworker today and joking about how expensive law school is and he told me he'll be able to retire at 55, his house will be paid off at 57 and his student loans will be paid off at 58…yikes! (He didn't go to law school late in life either)

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #2917 on: June 18, 2014, 02:58:07 AM »
Not heard at work, but today I had an alarm installed in my house. The installer told me that he has had people tell him they intend to cancel their insurance when they have an alarm installed!

Note: this is in Christchurch, New Zealand. A city which was half destroyed in an earthquake only 3 years ago and people lost their entire life's savings. You'd think people would then learn the importance of insurance!

wantsomechipss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm gonna skate to one song and one song only.
« Reply #2918 on: June 18, 2014, 05:54:47 AM »
Today, a co-worker from another department told me that another girl asked her:

"What is Hakuna Matata? What language is that?"

ERGHHHH ------I would not know how to respond.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #2919 on: June 18, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »

1. It's Swahili.

2. That's not what this thread is for. It's for money-related shame/comedy, not pop culture ignorance.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2920 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »

lol wth

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2921 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »

One of my plans for retirement is to take a Bobcat and a trailer full of sand around to various parking lots, any pickup with a clean/unscratched bed is getting a bucket full.

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2922 on: June 18, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »

I would!  I couldn't stop myself bursting into song - "It's a problem-free, philosophy"  :-D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:24:57 AM by mgarl10024 »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #2923 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »

One of my plans for retirement is to take a Bobcat and a trailer full of sand around to various parking lots, any pickup with a clean/unscratched bed is getting a bucket full.

Why stop at sand?  Crushed concrete might be a better choice. 

The mental image I got when reading this is a large trailer hooked behind a bobcat cruising down the road with the driver having an evil smirk the whole time.  And the occasional evil laugh too. 

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #2924 on: June 18, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
I'd take a free load of sand, though my pickup bed is far from pristine.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2925 on: June 18, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »

Why stop at sand?  Crushed concrete might be a better choice. 

The mental image I got when reading this is a large trailer hooked behind a bobcat cruising down the road with the driver having an evil smirk the whole time.  And the occasional evil laugh too.

Film it (including the truck owners' reactions), put it on Youtube and enable ads and you might be able to do it before retirement!

(But don't forget to plan for the insurance claims and truck bed repainting costs as business expenses...!)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2926 on: June 18, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »

1. It's Swahili.

2. That's not what this thread is for. It's for money-related shame/comedy, not pop culture ignorance.

Meh, the thread was started on the premise of...

Anyone else hear the craziest things while at work?

And as someone born in the 80's, not knowing where hakuna matata comes from or what it means fits this request spot on.

My friends uncle named his yacht Hakuna Matata, now thats crazy!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2927 on: June 18, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »

1. It's Swahili.

And as someone born in the 80's, not knowing where hakuna matata comes from or what it means fits this request spot on.

Hakuna Matata is playing on my pandora right now...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2928 on: June 18, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »

1. It's Swahili.

But there's nothing unmustachian about it, though (see forum name)

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #2929 on: June 18, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Agreed.  If anything, lack of knowledge about pop culture IS Mustachian. 

Wildflame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2930 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
Getting awfully philosophical here. If we're being strict, overhearing things at work isn't Mustachian once you're retired, since you shouldn't be working... =P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2931 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »
Getting awfully philosophical here. If we're being strict, overhearing things at work isn't Mustachian once you're retired, since you shouldn't be working... =P

Mustachianism doesn't require retirement... to the extent that Mustachianism includes ER, it naturally embraces working for money to achieve FIRE.

edit: in case it's not obvious, this is true, but still tongue in cheek.  Mustachianism isn't a religion :-P

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2932 on: June 19, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
Finally a heard at work.
Went to talk to my single CW about work, she was clutching some work lottery tickets and muttering:
I hope i win, as i only have $60 in my checking till the payday. Our payday is bi-weekly and is next week. This is IT professional, so very reasonable salary. she has to pay some gift to her new graduating nephew this week.
Not sure what she expected me to say.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2933 on: June 19, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
Finally a heard at work.
Went to talk to my single CW about work, she was clutching some work lottery tickets and muttering:
I hope i win, as i only have $60 in my checking till the payday. Our payday is bi-weekly and is next week. This is IT professional, so very reasonable salary. she has to pay some gift to her new graduating nephew this week.

I hope you win too?  Pretty much everyone who wants to win the lottery does, as long as they want it enough!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #2934 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Finally a heard at work.

I hope you win too?  Pretty much everyone who wants to win the lottery does, as long as they want it enough!
Yes, the only reason those silly people don't win is that they just didn't want it enough!
Wait! She had $60 in the account and didn't convert that also in to lotto paper? She clearly did not want to win enough..
Apparently she also didn't know how to utilize credit to charge an expense without needing to carry the actual currency at the moment of purchase.... OR she knows it all too well.... and is maxed out for the month! T.T

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2935 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
I've got one! Two co-workers were discussing the latest frozen meal thing, some sort of Stouffers thing that you throw in a pan, pour a packet of sauce over, and call it a "skillet meal". Apparently they're $8 EACH, and make enough for one meal for one or two people. Obviously loaded with salt, etc. One was telling the other how awesome they are, how he bought a bunch for the freezer, and what a great money saver they are!

I asked, why not just make a skillet meal with chicken, vegetables, sauce, etc for a fraction of the price, in almost the same amount of time? "Well, it's convenient..." It makes no sense to me.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2936 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
I've got one! Two co-workers were discussing the latest frozen meal thing, some sort of Stouffers thing that you throw in a pan, pour a packet of sauce over, and call it a "skillet meal". Apparently they're $8 EACH, and make enough for one meal for one or two people. Obviously loaded with salt, etc. One was telling the other how awesome they are, how he bought a bunch for the freezer, and what a great money saver they are!

I asked, why not just make a skillet meal with chicken, vegetables, sauce, etc for a fraction of the price, in almost the same amount of time? "Well, it's convenient..." It makes no sense to me.

We have a guy who does the same.  His is a zatarans rice meal thing for about the same amount lol. Last time I checked rice was about as cheap of a food as you can get.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2937 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »

We have a guy who does the same.  His is a zatarans rice meal thing for about the same amount lol. Last time I checked rice was about as cheap of a food as you can get.

The Michelina's frozen meals are pretty popular at my workplace as well - from what I can see, it's about 3/4 cup cooked pasta in some sort of white sauce. That's it. For the same amount of money as a whole bag of pasta and jar of sauce.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2938 on: June 20, 2014, 04:58:30 AM »

The Michelina's frozen meals are pretty popular at my workplace as well - from what I can see, it's about 3/4 cup cooked pasta in some sort of white sauce. That's it. For the same amount of money as a whole bag of pasta and jar of sauce.

My wife does the same thing.  And even worse, she doesn't work.  She always uses tired and fast as an excuse.  With the 1 year old at home, she doesn't have time to make a real lunch.  The main reason she does it - she doesn't like left overs.  The real annoying thing. She is  complaining about her weight.  I keep telling her to track what she eats. She gets enough exercise running around with the kids that I don't think it is that.  I bet her salt intake is so high from those frozen things that it is slowing her metabolism down.  She eats relatively healthy outside of that (loves veggies, doesn't eat a lot of dessert type of foods, no soda).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2939 on: June 20, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »

My wife does the same thing.  And even worse, she doesn't work.  She always uses tired and fast as an excuse.  With the 1 year old at home, she doesn't have time to make a real lunch.  The main reason she does it - she doesn't like left overs.  The real annoying thing. She is  complaining about her weight.  I keep telling her to track what she eats. She gets enough exercise running around with the kids that I don't think it is that.  I bet her salt intake is so high from those frozen things that it is slowing her metabolism down.  She eats relatively healthy outside of that (loves veggies, doesn't eat a lot of dessert type of foods, no soda).

I confess to eating Michelina's pretty often in my university days.  To be fair though, I bought a ton of them when they were being blown out for a buck each at the local supermarket . . . although it always takes two to make me feel full.  Still, 2$ a meal seemed like a decent value at the time. . .

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2940 on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »
I confess to eating Michelina's pretty often in my university days. 

I spent freshman year subsisting on 25 cent frozen burritos and mountain dew.  That doesn't mean I still eat that way.

One of my coworkers eats those $1 frozen Safeway meals at lunch every day, along with a $2 can of energy drink.  Kid's priorities are seriously fucked, but I wasn't any better at his age so I try not to judge.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2941 on: June 20, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
I confess to eating Michelina's pretty often in my university days. 

I spent freshman year subsisting on 25 cent frozen burritos and mountain dew.  That doesn't mean I still eat that way.

One of my coworkers eats those $1 frozen Safeway meals at lunch every day, along with a $2 can of energy drink.  Kid's priorities are seriously fucked, but I wasn't any better at his age so I try not to judge.

Lets give credit where it's due though, I bet some of your coworkers go to Applebee's for lunch everyday.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2942 on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »

Not defending michelina's but they're $1 or less each and sometimes include a meat-like substance and veggie particles. I can get pasta or sauce for that amount of money but not both. I keep them on hand for when I don't have leftovers for lunch...it's motivation to make sure I do have leftover :P

Yeah, I do have one frozen meal in my freezer--and it's Michelina's. It's by far the cheapest frozen meal. From what I can tell, it's due to the fact that you get less food in the box. I don't think it's appreciably more or less healthy than any other frozen meal.

I've had that Michelina's meal in my freezer for about 6 months now, so I've been doing pretty good not eating it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2943 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »

Are you sure?  Last I looked at the store, a box of zatarans fancy rice was like $1.19.  Sure you can get rice cheaper, but it's still pretty cheap and means you don't need to figure out the spices etc.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #2944 on: June 20, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »

Are you sure?  Last I looked at the store, a box of zatarans fancy rice was like $1.19.  Sure you can get rice cheaper, but it's still pretty cheap and means you don't need to figure out the spices etc.

Not sure, but I think Hedge_87 was talking about the zataran's complete rice bowl meal thingees. They make enough for one (and perhaps there are others that make enough for a family). They're not just the rice with spices -- they're supposed to be your whole meal. Zataran's makes just the rice with spices, which I agree isn't necessarily an unmustachian item.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2945 on: June 20, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
yes i was talking about about the complete meal thingy that is basically a frozen dinner.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2946 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:25 AM »
If people used the convince foods for those days when they really need it, and it wasn't an everyday thing, they would be fine, and not blow the budget, but it's the over consumption of them that is ridiculous.

I hate those kid of frozen meals, I would much rather have fast food if I forgot my lunch, no better for me but it tastes better IMO ha ha.

My favorite lunches are leftovers from home cooked yummies. I mean, enchiladas are way better the next day, so is apple pie.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2947 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
Not defending michelina's but they're $1 or less each and sometimes include a meat-like substance and veggie particles. I can get pasta or sauce for that amount of money but not both.

Seriously? Pasta here is 49 cent per pound, pureed tomatoes are 35 cents for 500 ml, spices are a few Euros a kilo, lots of veggies can be had for 1-2 Euro per kilo. Meat is 3-4 Euros a kilogram, fish 6 Euros... I either have to get very fancy or use fresh produce to pay more than one Euro per pound for a pasta meal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:26:23 PM by Christof »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2948 on: June 20, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »

Not sure, but I think Hedge_87 was talking about the zataran's complete rice bowl meal thingees. They make enough for one (and perhaps there are others that make enough for a family). They're not just the rice with spices -- they're supposed to be your whole meal. Zataran's makes just the rice with spices, which I agree isn't necessarily an unmustachian item.

Oh.  Well I'll take it as a positive I had never known about them.  :)  I can spend less than $8 at the cafe even (much less bringing food from home obviously)!

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2949 on: June 20, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
You missed the part I quoted

I did. My apologies and thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah, I can make a pasta meal for cheaper, but not buy a whole bag of pasta and a jar of sauce (which makes a few meals). I think I pay $1/pound of pasta and just over $1 for a jar of sauce when I buy it

$1 for two pounds of pasta is indeed stretching it. Pasta with tomato sauce would be 88 Euro cents which is over $1. To keep cost below a dollar I would need to replace pureed tomatoes with concentrated tomato paste, or use inexpensive vegetables, flour and water.... But that's a lot more food than a single frozen meal for the same price.