Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253131 times)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #2600 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
I say I am semi-retired-that may work for you.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #2601 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
WTF  . . . Is the llama a pet?

You got it.  I'm pretty grateful to be able to talk to this guy nearly every day... he's a gift that keeps on giving.

Tina you fat lard, come get your dinner!

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #2602 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
I enjoy my work, and my daughter enjoys playing with the other kids at daycare.  What works for one person may not work for others.

In that case I would say that you work for the sake of whatever you enjoy about your work, and because it allows you to let your daughter to have a social experience she enjoys. I would distinguish between that and working "for the sake of work", out of some misplaced sense of duty.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2603 on: May 15, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
When I retire in my early 40's my co-workers will think I came into some money. 

Though I could easily see it being tough to walk away at that point.  I already have a good amount of freedom at work, and as my FU money pile gets big I can easily see setting up a work environment where I avoid doing almost anything I don't want to do while naturally not getting bothered by things that a person that can quit tomorrow wouldn't be bothered by.  Plus the pay will be quite nice by then.  In that situation I could see continuing to work.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2604 on: May 15, 2014, 04:03:26 PM »
I would say I was just going to fuck off for a bit but I may be a bit more crass than that majority, here.

On topic:

We hired a temp operator with no experience (literally first time in a facility that his entry level certification allows him to learn to operate was his first day at our location) to cover a night shift while we work out some programming issues over the next couple weeks.  His job entails 1-1.5 hours of actual work then monitoring some trends every so often and maybe making an adjustment on the computer (open/closing a valve a couple %).  He's working 4-5 days/week at 10 hours/shift.
And he tells me:

Temp worker:  "They're only paying my about $25/hour.  That's only $50k/year."
Me: "That's a ton of money"
TW: "I make more than that as an actuary during tax season."
Me: "Dude, you can't even do the job.  You have no experience and are getting paid to watch TV (there's a 60" TV he can watch to his heart's content).  I can't believe they're paying you that much."
TW: "Yea, I guess you're right..."

I was appalled with his attitude and shocked that he expects to get paid more to get trained! 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2605 on: May 15, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »
I would say I was just going to fuck off for a bit but I may be a bit more crass than that majority, here.

On topic:

We hired a temp operator with no experience (literally first time in a facility that his entry level certification allows him to learn to operate was his first day at our location) to cover a night shift while we work out some programming issues over the next couple weeks.  His job entails 1-1.5 hours of actual work then monitoring some trends every so often and maybe making an adjustment on the computer (open/closing a valve a couple %).  He's working 4-5 days/week at 10 hours/shift.
And he tells me:

Me: "Dude, you can't even do the job.  You have no experience and are getting paid to watch TV (there's a 60" TV he can watch to his heart's content).  I can't believe they're paying you that much."

I was appalled with his attitude and shocked that he expects to get paid more to get trained!

Can I come work with you?  What does he operate and how do I get certified?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2606 on: May 15, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »

On topic:

And he tells me:

Awwww, I want it too!  Is there room for both of us?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2607 on: May 15, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »

On topic:

And he tells me:

right?!? um I think my boyfriend wants this job...

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2608 on: May 15, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
He's at entry-level certification so HE doesn't operate anything. We assign him menial tasks and train him on basic aspects of the job and hope he doesn't touch anything when a journey level operator is not there. This is at/for operations of an advanced recycled water purification facility.

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #2609 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
Had a nice one today in class with a fellow student:

Him: There's a great trick I found with phone contracts, actually. If you call up the provider on the 23rd month to reset your contract and upgrade your phone, they'll usually give you the last month free, since they've made their money off you. You get a whole month free, plus you can sell your old phone! You can really get one over the phone providers.
Me: Wouldn't a better way to get one over them to be just to stick with your old phone?
Him: Yeah, but then you wouldn't get a new phone!
Someone else: Do you really need to upgrade from an iPhone 4S to a 5S?
Me: Yeah, I'm rocking this iPhone 3GS still, on a prepaid plan AND I got it free second-hand.
Him: Well, it's like a fashion statement. Like the reason I buy fancy clothes.
(I put my phone away in my Target jeans and adjust my op-shop shirt)

The cheapest price for the smallest iPhone 5S on Telstra's network is $77 a month, for 23 months: $1,771. That's so much money wasted, and he thinks he's saving because everybody else is paying $1,848!

Ugh, I have the cheapest Telstra plan available for my Galaxy S4 then I added the $12.00 month insurance option which also allows me a cheap handset upgrade every 12 months so monthly phone bill is $82.00.  Used to pay $50 with Optus but they don't have any service where I work so had to change to Telstra.  It never bothered me before but now that I'm becoming a moustachian it is quite painful especially if I go over my 1GB data allowance.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2610 on: May 15, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »

On topic:

And he tells me:

I would be curious to know why he needs this job. Actuaries make great money and are in fairly high demand.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2611 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »

You got it.  I'm pretty grateful to be able to talk to this guy nearly every day... he's a gift that keeps on giving.

Dynamite!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2612 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »

I would be curious to know why he needs this job. Actuaries make great money and are in fairly high demand.
[/quote]

I'll bet he's not really an actuary. Doing taxes during tax season? Sounds like someone trained by the mall tax preparers and he thinks he is an accountant but can't say the word.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2613 on: May 15, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
I wonder the same thing. Maybe the pension/benefits? Maybe he wastes all his money? Actuary is the wrong word though. Tax filer/accountant is more accurate.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #2614 on: May 16, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »
When I retire in my early 40's my co-workers will think I came into some money. 

Though I could easily see it being tough to walk away at that point.  I already have a good amount of freedom at work, and as my FU money pile gets big I can easily see setting up a work environment where I avoid doing almost anything I don't want to do while naturally not getting bothered by things that a person that can quit tomorrow wouldn't be bothered by.  Plus the pay will be quite nice by then.  In that situation I could see continuing to work.

That's what I used to think.  You never know when management will change, your coworkers will change, etc.  Enjoy it while it lasts, and be happy that you're stacking up the FU money so you can leave when the things you like about your job change.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #2615 on: May 16, 2014, 08:02:05 AM »

Robet Bell writes about this phenomenon on his blog (he used to work in a GM factory). Many of the grossly overpaid workers (with few responsibilities) hated their jobs and had no respect for their superiors, despite the fact that they were being paid far in excess of market rate for their labor.

That said, I'm also intrigued by this job you describe. In addition to the TV, is there wifi available? Can the employee read a book or surf on their laptop/tablet? :)

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2616 on: May 16, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »

Robet Bell writes about this phenomenon on his blog (he used to work in a GM factory). Many of the grossly overpaid workers (with few responsibilities) hated their jobs and had no respect for their superiors, despite the fact that they were being paid far in excess of market rate for their labor.

That said, I'm also intrigued by this job you describe. In addition to the TV, is there wifi available? Can the employee read a book or surf on their laptop/tablet? :)

I didn't know this would be so intriguing! No wifi in the control room but there is a wired work station.  a CW hooked a 2TB drive up to one of the TVs and there are plenty of movies and shows on it.  However, that stuff is only acceptable when no one else is around and things are quiet; this is typically only during the night shift.  The job takes precedence and when alarms are active or adjustments must be made, ignoring them is unacceptable.

Here are some links to the general class of work.  However, as stated before, we're actually doing advanced purification for recycled water.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/production/water-and-wastewater-treatment-plant-and-system-operators.htm
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/smallsystems/pdfs/guide_smallsystems_operator_08-25-06.pdf
http://workforwater.org/resourceforwaterprofessionals/page_int.aspx?id=271

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #2617 on: May 16, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
I am retiring as of June 2, and I am getting a HUGE amount of pushback over the term "retire."  Since I'm 43, have a spouse who is still working, and I will continue to work about 10 hours a week on other paid work, then I am NOT retiring.  According to everyone at work and most other people.  I've started to use the word "financially independent," but what's a good verb for that?  "I'm going to become financially independent on June 2?"  That doesn't really make any sense...

"other"tire   :D

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2618 on: May 16, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »

I'll bet he's not really an actuary. Doing taxes during tax season? Sounds like someone trained by the mall tax preparers and he thinks he is an accountant but can't say the word.
[/quote]Yeah you are probably right, I was thinking Actuary at an insurance company.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2619 on: May 16, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »

On topic:

And he tells me:

Me too

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #2620 on: May 16, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »

Dynamite!

Good - someone got that reference! It was crickets for a while...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2621 on: May 16, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Dynamite!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2622 on: May 16, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »

Dynamite!

I just wish I had a better response. Somehow "this one got into an onion patch" or "does it have talons" didn't seem to fit with the llama.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:17:22 PM by Cheddar Stacker »

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2623 on: May 16, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »

Thanks for the Robert Bell link NQF!  I'm enjoying his blog.

Also see Bukowski's Post Office for more disgruntled writing.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2624 on: May 17, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »
Not so much overheard, as flaunted directly to me -- $200 weightlifting shoes. WTF? Who knew such a thing was necessary for picking up heavy shit? Purchased/flaunted by CW who has repeatedly said he/she will "never retire"...

I have known crossfitters to spend near that on a jump rope.  They clam to be supper fast and really easy to use, sort of the opposite of what you would want in a exercise tool.  "I am going to go spend 200$ to get a 45 pound weight that only weights 42 pounds".  I always lifted bare foot when I could.

Familjen Fri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2625 on: May 18, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »
Not so much overheard, as flaunted directly to me -- $200 weightlifting shoes. WTF? Who knew such a thing was necessary for picking up heavy shit? Purchased/flaunted by CW who has repeatedly said he/she will "never retire"...

If the person is serious about olympic weightlifting or powerlifting I don't think this is extreme by any means. A leather belt for the same amount and you are set for life. Okay, maybe the shoes have to be replaced once during a 15 year lifting career. A good belt will last a life time. Sure, it's possible to buy used shoes for $50 if you are a mustachian.

Generally lifting shoes gives the lifter better leverages (generally for squats, bench and olympic lifts) with it's high heel and gives a a lot of stability with it's flat hard sole. It's very different experience from lifting with sneakers or other "sports shoes".

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2626 on: May 18, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
Me: "What do you mean you won't live past 68?"
Him: "None of my family has ever lived past then, so I figure that's my time."
Me: "If you truly believe that, why aren't you retiring this very day?  You have 2 pensions, you can't be hurting for money."
Him: "... I don't know. I'm just going to hold on."

Nooooooo!!! That is so sad. :(((
That is sad.  My dad swore he wouldn't live past 78 because none of his brothers did (but his 2 sisters did).  He was almost 82 when he died.

But he retired at around 60-62, when I was in high school.  Lived on a very paltry SS sum (house was paid for), worked for friends now and then, and managed to save $20,000 from 62 to 82.

King of frugal.

lsaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2627 on: May 19, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
Overheard 2 coworkers talking. Co-worker one is the active transportation engineer for the county. CW2 is the purchasing coordinator.
CW2: My friends are asking, is it legal for a motorcycle to ride in the county bike lanes.
CW1: There is nothing official on the books so they wont get pulled over but it's frowned upon.
CW2: But bikes ride in car lanes all the time, don't be a racist against motorcycles, they should be able to ride in the bike lane because bicycles can ride in the car lane.
CW1:.....(doesn't really respond)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2628 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:21 AM »
So since people walk in the street, cars should drive on sidewalks too?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2629 on: May 20, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »

Not in the Land of the Free / Home of the Brave: it's called jaywalking.  People and cars may only cross where the other is allowed at designated points.  Only filthy socialists would have it any other away.  /end sarcasm/

Am in Europe now and mopeds are allowed on the foot paths, bicycles seem to have absolute right to everywhere, cars can accelerate towards little old ladies trying to cross the street, roundabouts are done based on vehicle size and pedestrians have no rights everywhere unless the cross walk has special markings in the road and then pedestrians dont have to look left or right before stepping off the curb.  A coworker did test driving a car on a foot path but turns out that was frowned upon and not any faster than the normal road.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #2630 on: May 20, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

Not in the Land of the Free / Home of the Brave: it's called jaywalking.  People and cars may only cross where the other is allowed at designated points.  Only filthy socialists would have it any other away.  /end sarcasm/

Am in Europe now and mopeds are allowed on the foot paths, bicycles seem to have absolute right to everywhere, cars can accelerate towards little old ladies trying to cross the street, roundabouts are done based on vehicle size and pedestrians have no rights everywhere unless the cross walk has special markings in the road and then pedestrians dont have to look left or right before stepping off the curb.  A coworker did test driving a car on a foot path but turns out that was frowned upon and not any faster than the normal road.

Makes me wonder which country you're in now because most civilized countries I know in Europe don't allow most of the things you are indicating. Also, just because bikes are on footpaths (and the other way round) doesn't make it legal perse :D

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #2631 on: May 20, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
A planned free-for-all is not totally far-fetched. It's called "shared space".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

Most famously, there is a village center in the Netherlands (noted in the liked wiki) that has no formal traffic control whatsoever, and has seen a significant decrease in accidents at some intersections. The theory is that, because a pedestrian or a cyclist can come from any direction at any moment, drivers are much more attentive and careful.

That said, there's been very little rigorous study on how they perform in practice, and the thought of putting my professional engineer stamp on a plan for shared space gives me a psychosomatic ulcer. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2632 on: May 20, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
Was handed a flyer for a "Fiscal Fitness Workshop" which says:
- Find out how to save money for your home
- Improve your credit score
- Improve on budgeting skills
- Take control of your financial wellbeing

Not too bad!  I can't go though to hear the advice though, as I have a meeting.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2633 on: May 21, 2014, 04:44:37 AM »

Isn't that the thing you mainly need for collecting frequent flyer miles for inexpensive vacations? ;-)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #2634 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

Isn't that the thing you mainly need for collecting frequent flyer miles for inexpensive vacations? ;-)

LOL. That's currently all we use it for :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2635 on: May 21, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »

LOL. That's currently all we use it for :)

Well, I just bought my first house and liked having a nice credit score for it that wasn't hit by opening lots of credit cards for miles...  YMMV
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:32:08 PM by CommonCents »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #2636 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »
We already own a house and won't be buying another one any time soon. Christof was making a joke, and I said that it's all that we currently use our credit for. I think most of us here are intelligent enough manage our credit with due planning for the future. If I were a real estate investor who depended on credit for my investments, we probably wouldn't be playing (lucrative) games with credit cards.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #2637 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
CW's husbands new $80K truck got dinged at the grocery store. They are furious. Makes me glad I drive a 2009, that was 1/10th of that price!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2638 on: May 22, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
CW's husbands new $80K truck got dinged at the grocery store. They are furious. Makes me glad I drive a 2009, that was 1/10th of that price!
Yeah, the idea of an multi-tons object designed to travel at high speeds down the highways and off roads suffering cosmetic scratches is insufferable. I hope they keep it in the garage to prevent it from being wet too.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2639 on: May 22, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
Yeah, the idea of an multi-tons object designed to travel at high speeds down the highways and off roads suffering cosmetic scratches is insufferable. I hope they keep it in the garage to prevent it from being wet too.

Along the same lines as above though a much smaller scale, I recently heard a story about a close relative that is completely out of control.

She purchased a $65 shirt for her 5 year old son's Kindergarten graduation ceremony. She then took him out for ice cream. He then, of course, spilled ice cream on his shirt because what 5 year old doesn't. She then screams at him in the ice cream shop in front of many other people to the point where he now refuses to eat the ice cream because he is so upset.

Such a sad story on so many levels. This is not an isolated incident, it happens regularly in this family. The expensive clothes, and the insanity about all things material, to the point that the kids feelings are completely ignored. Sooooo frustrating.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2640 on: May 22, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
A kindergarten graduation ceremony is kinda stupid isn't it?  I mean, it's not much of an achievement . . . are there many kindergarten drop outs?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2641 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
Very stupid but unfortunately very common in my neck of the woods.

I could see there being a lot of drop outs, what with all the pressures of naptime, trying not to eat the paste, and coloring within the lines. Very stressful ; )

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2642 on: May 22, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
I have very faint memories of "graduating" preschool around 1995.  I think it was pretty asinine.  I guess I was a pretty cynical child.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2643 on: May 22, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
I have very faint memories of "graduating" preschool around 1995.  I think it was pretty asinine.  I guess I was a pretty cynical child.

LOL, isn't this also known as a birthday party?

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2644 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
The kids get very excited about having a kindergarten "graduation."  Excitement about school = good.  At my kid's school, it happened during regular school hours, not at any special time.  But buying a $65 shirt for it is silly unless you're a gazillionaire, and expecting that a 5-year-old won't stain the shirt is sillier.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2645 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
The kids get very excited about having a kindergarten "graduation."  Excitement about school = good.  At my kid's school, it happened during regular school hours, not at any special time.  But buying a $65 shirt for it is silly unless you're a gazillionaire, and expecting that a 5-year-old won't stain the shirt is sillier.

I'm not a gazillionaire, but I make a nice salary. I'm a professional. I've likely been to a hundred formal events including weddings, funerals and the like. I've never paid more than $30 for a shirt, and even then I cringe. I'd say I average around $12-15/shirt. I don't see the point in spending that kind of money on clothing.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #2646 on: May 22, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
My original post was going to rant about my friend, but afterwards I realized it wasn't just my friend who does this...

Ways to seriously annoy me:
1) Offer me money for something with money you don't have.
(ex: Friend offered me $10-15 money for gas to pick her up....followed this statement, "i'll pay you after my grandma gives me my allowance")
2) Receive an allowance from your grandma when you don't live with her and do nothing to deserve an allowance (not going to school, not working, just couch potato)
3) Ask to borrow money, right after I say no, tell me about some unnecessary purchase you just made.
4) Ask to borrow money when you smoke,drink,constantly eat out. (I refuse to help people who make poor daily choices consistently).

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2647 on: May 22, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
My original post was going to rant about my friend, but afterwards I realized it wasn't just my friend who does this...

Ways to seriously annoy me:
1) Offer me money for something with money you don't have.
(ex: Friend offered me $10-15 money for gas to pick her up....followed this statement, "i'll pay you after my grandma gives me my allowance")
2) Receive an allowance from your grandma when you don't live with her and do nothing to deserve an allowance (not going to school, not working, just couch potato)
3) Ask to borrow money, right after I say no, tell me about some unnecessary purchase you just made.
4) Ask to borrow money when you smoke,drink,constantly eat out. (I refuse to help people who make poor daily choices consistently).

I generally don't loan people money. This list is a good way to ensure that will NEVER happen.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2648 on: May 22, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
A coworker who makes more money than me and slightly older than me were talking about future plans. This person knows of my plans to retire early (but they think it's at 50 - hee hee).

Me: "I think this will be my last high paying job."
CW: "Speak for yourself. I know I can get another high paying job."

Funny thing is...I think we were both happy with our statements. CW was trying to prove in their statement that they were very employable and would have no problems getting that high paying job (and continuing their high spending lifestyle). Me - I would be happy getting out of the rat race.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2649 on: May 22, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
Very stupid but unfortunately very common in my neck of the woods.

I could see there being a lot of drop outs, what with all the pressures of naptime, trying not to eat the paste, and coloring within the lines. Very stressful ; )

When my mom ran a preschool she had a graduation ceremony for the kids each spring.  I think they wore cardboard mortarboard hats, no robes. It was fun and cute then.

Now the graduations are probably overdone. I do think that graduating from Jr. High school was a bigger deal in some areas of the country.