Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8770537 times)

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #21000 on: October 13, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
And don't forget that neighborhoods built without streetlights and sidewalks are alot cheaper than the "deluxe package" with those items.

Around here I was told the average property developer is/was responsible for all these things initially and then the city or county would take over the maintenance if it was constructed to code. I guess the average developer here wants to build on the cheap if buyers aren't demanding sidewalks.

Nobody walks, nobody bikes - we are all supposed to load up the family hauler and go to the mall and then out to eat. -eye roller-

Ugh.  There''s some busybody in town advocating that the city put sidewalks in my neighborhood and then assess homeowners.  Her house, of course, wouldn't be affected because she already has a sidewalk.
Sidewalks should be paid for by the city, for residences, when not part of the a development permit.
You know, everytime I read about or see the sidewalk-empty streets in the US I go *head exploding*
Understandable. Iíve never lived in a place without sidewalks, and like I said earlier in this thread, I still donít understand why not having them was considered a good thing.

Fortunately, the trend seems to be reversing a bit. My friend recently bought a home in a new subdivision with sidewalks everywhere.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21001 on: October 15, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Got to talk with a colleague on glasses, which are privately bought in this country. Just some short remarks while we were walking the staircase.

She: I have a headache.
Me: Maybe you need new glasses?
She: I just have new glasses. They cost me a fortune and better be good.
Me: Yes, glasses are way too expensive. Mine cost an outrageous $400! (purchased before becoming Mustachian)
She: Mine cost $1100!

So I thought my glasses were expensive. Obviously it could have been a lot worse...

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21002 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Got to talk with a colleague on glasses, which are privately bought in this country. Just some short remarks while we were walking the staircase.

Me: Yes, glasses are way too expensive. Mine cost an outrageous $400! (purchased before becoming Mustachian)

So I thought my glasses were expensive. Obviously it could have been a lot worse...

Wow! How is this possible? What is the feature that makes it expensive?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21003 on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »

Walk into a glasses store with some extra requirements and no research ahead of time and say "I'd like to buy some glasses, please."  They'll do the rest.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21004 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »

Headache with nnew glasses is normal. It is important to not switch back.
If you wear the new ones constantly then most of the troubles should go away after 3 days at most. Edge vision might need 3 weeks to get totally used to though.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21005 on: October 15, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »

Walk into a glasses store with some extra requirements and no research ahead of time and say "I'd like to buy some glasses, please."  They'll do the rest.

You also have to ignore the cost of frames and just look for the prettiest/sexiest/coolest ones. We overpay for frames in order to enjoy the convenience of getting glasses at our drs' office, but we look at the price tags and choose from the 3 pairs that are not exhorbitant.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21006 on: October 15, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »

You also have to ignore the cost of frames and just look for the prettiest/sexiest/coolest ones. We overpay for frames in order to enjoy the convenience of getting glasses at our drs' office, but we look at the price tags and choose from the 3 pairs that are not exhorbitant.

Much also depends on the type of glasses you want/need. If you have a very common prescription you can get them pretty cheap, but if you have -10 ,  cylinder or + in one eye and - in the other eye, the lenses itself can be quite expensive. Then there are additional treatments that can make them even more expensive: coatings, extra-thin, etc.

When I had less money I used to buy cheaper ones, but the cheap frames always seem to break within a year, you have to pay for service and the lenses are always expensive with my prescription. Even if the frame is Ä20 the lenses are still going to be Ä75 at least or something for the most basic lens

My last pair was about Ä450 and of that, Ä300 was for the frame. I'm allergic to several materials so the choice is limited. In the end I chose the expensive frame I liked most and not the cheaper alternative that looked less good on me. The glass was Ä150, for that price they are also anti-reflective, impact resistent, UV-blocking and extra thin (otherwise I'd have jam jar glasses). I've had this pair for 4 years now and they were worth the money. I've never spent so much before, but I really didn't love the other frame.

I know my parent spends Ä1000 per pair, they have one of those fancy expensive rimless frames, a very unusual prescription and no-line multifocal lenses.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21007 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Much also depends on the type of glasses you want/need. If you have a very common prescription you can get them pretty cheap, but if you have -10 ,  cylinder or + in one eye and - in the other eye, the lenses itself can be quite expensive. Then there are additional treatments that can make them even more expensive: coatings, extra-thin, etc.

When I had less money I used to buy cheaper ones, but the cheap frames always seem to break within a year, you have to pay for service and the lenses are always expensive with my prescription. Even if the frame is €20 the lenses are still going to be €75 at least or something for the most basic lens

My last pair was about €450 and of that, €300 was for the frame. I'm allergic to several materials so the choice is limited. In the end I chose the expensive frame I liked most and not the cheaper alternative that looked less good on me. The glass was €150, for that price they are also anti-reflective, impact resistant, UV-blocking and extra thin (otherwise I'd have jam jar glasses). I've had this pair for 4 years now and they were worth the money. I've never spent so much before, but I really didn't love the other frame.

I know my parent spends €1000 per pair, they have one of those fancy expensive rimless frames, a very unusual prescription and no-line multifocal lenses.

My special features are combined invisible long distance with reading distance. And anti-glare and anti-scratch. Both my colleague and I have passed 45 and need reading correction as well as long distance.
The worse thing in my case was that those fancy combined distance glasses had logos printed on them well in my vision. I complained to the shop that I saw those logos the whole time. Shop said they couldn't deliver combined distance glasses without logos printed on the glass. So I switched to only long distance glasses. I forgot to ask for money back, but the difference for those glasses was not so big. Now I have used those glasses for quite some time and I am often bothered by them having light spots in my vision when the sun is shining. I recently realized that maybe this is the glare that those glasses were supposed to have. Maybe my replacement glasses are without that and I paid all too much for a couple of simple glasses.
What I do know is that next time I need new glasses, I will ask explicitly for marks on glasses. And I will go to another store and buy a cheap last year fashion frame.

Edit: Another thing I should perhaps mention is that Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world. Most things here are a lot more expensive than in the US. And for reasons of simplicity I divided the prices I mentioned by 10 instead of by 8,5 to make it dollars.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:18:10 AM by Linda_Norway »

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21008 on: October 16, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
There's a big difference between shopping for glasses you wear in the evenings to read when the light isn't so good or for driving in bad weather and glasses that are on your face every waking second. My prescription is still worsening slightly every eye test, so I assume my glasses are only going to be good for two years no matter what. I start looking at the cheapest frames and work my way up the price brackets til I find something I like well enough for it to be a permanent part of my face. Sometimes that's £40, sometimes that's £240. And I have made the mistake of not spending enough on lenses before.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #21009 on: October 16, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
My husband's glasses could easily cost 1100 USD if he went to an upscale store. He wants thinner lenses due to looking better and the glasses not being so heavy. Thankfully he can get them at cheaper stores for around 200-400 USD. I could buy glasses for less than 100 USD if I like since I have a small correction and I can use standard lenses but I tend to buy ones for around 200 as I get so much more for that price when it comes to quality. Many of the cheaper plastic frames will bend easily and the plastic may change colors. I can usually use the same glasses for 3-4 years so I rather pay a little extra and they last for that long then paying less and they only last a year or so. My husband works in a physical job so his glasses usually only last 1-2 years due to wear so he tends to go for the cheaper frames for that reason. When the frames are starting to look crappy he has usually a lot of scratches on the lenses anyway. He does pay for the treatment that makes them a bit more durable but that is not enough. I also cannot wear contacts so we have to suck it up and pay for glasses regularly. I hope that if he gets a more permanent position he might be able to get some kind of work glasses from his employer. He has gotten his own protective glasses now at least that covers the glasses properly but there are so many things he does that may still scratch the glasses and that you cannot use protective glasses while doing.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21010 on: October 16, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
My husband's glasses could easily cost 1100 USD if he went to an upscale store. He wants thinner lenses due to looking better and the glasses not being so heavy. Thankfully he can get them at cheaper stores for around 200-400 USD. I could buy glasses for less than 100 USD if I like since I have a small correction and I can use standard lenses but I tend to buy ones for around 200 as I get so much more for that price when it comes to quality. Many of the cheaper plastic frames will bend easily and the plastic may change colors. I can usually use the same glasses for 3-4 years so I rather pay a little extra and they last for that long then paying less and they only last a year or so. My husband works in a physical job so his glasses usually only last 1-2 years due to wear so he tends to go for the cheaper frames for that reason. When the frames are starting to look crappy he has usually a lot of scratches on the lenses anyway. He does pay for the treatment that makes them a bit more durable but that is not enough. I also cannot wear contacts so we have to suck it up and pay for glasses regularly. I hope that if he gets a more permanent position he might be able to get some kind of work glasses from his employer. He has gotten his own protective glasses now at least that covers the glasses properly but there are so many things he does that may still scratch the glasses and that you cannot use protective glasses while doing.
Why not purchase glasses (including protective ones) from 39dollarglasses.com or Zennioptical?  I have used both services.   You don't get premium quality glasses, but getting impact resistant prescription ones for work are VERY nice to have, and cheap enough to replace every year. And safer because you can see out of them better than using the cover.   DH has a prescription around -7 and liked them

faithless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21011 on: October 16, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
I tried buying glasses online recently after my prescription changed - a website had a good sale (£19 frames) so I got thinned lenses and fancy frames that looked similar to my current ones (to my eye and with similar measurements).

I told myself it was a £36 gamble that it if went well would save me over £100. But they are far too wide and look silly on me, so I'm not wearing them. I should have not bothered with the sale and got them to post me the non sale sample ones and tried them on at home.

I wear them constantly, and the last pair has lasted me somewhere between 2-3 years, so I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the £180 for properly fitted, adjusted and comfortable glasses I feel nice in, plus "free" prescription sunglasses.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21012 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I tried buying glasses online recently after my prescription changed - a website had a good sale (£19 frames) so I got thinned lenses and fancy frames that looked similar to my current ones (to my eye and with similar measurements).

I told myself it was a £36 gamble that it if went well would save me over £100. But they are far too wide and look silly on me, so I'm not wearing them. I should have not bothered with the sale and got them to post me the non sale sample ones and tried them on at home.

I wear them constantly, and the last pair has lasted me somewhere between 2-3 years, so I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the £180 for properly fitted, adjusted and comfortable glasses I feel nice in, plus "free" prescription sunglasses.
Ah, but eliha's husband needs protective eyeware at work and has the problem of the expensive glasses getting scratched.  Buying unflattering ones in those cases is really not a problem.   I have never had truly unflattering ones, either and have bought maybe 8 pairs so far?   We started when 39dollarglasses.com first started years ago.

SunnyDays

• Stubble
« Reply #21013 on: October 16, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
There's a big difference between shopping for glasses you wear in the evenings to read when the light isn't so good or for driving in bad weather and glasses that are on your face every waking second. My prescription is still worsening slightly every eye test, so I assume my glasses are only going to be good for two years no matter what. I start looking at the cheapest frames and work my way up the price brackets til I find something I like well enough for it to be a permanent part of my face. Sometimes that's £40, sometimes that's £240. And I have made the mistake of not spending enough on lenses before.

You know you don't have to get new frames just because you need a new prescription, right?

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21014 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »
Before I finally had an eye operation (technology was finally at a level to help me:) I always had to get lenses with all the bells and whistles to help me see better, even a 5% improvement for someone who is 16 in one eye and 14 in the other is worth it.
Think bottom of a coke bottle glasses even though I paid extra for "real glass" which can be ground finer/thinner which means you can see better instead of plastic lenses.
No matter if I got them in the US or in Germany the lenses alone were always outrageous - the best I ever got was a deal for two for $1100.

Even the frames are not created equal there were some not suitable to hold such thick glasses, they would have popped out etc.

I spent a fair amount on new glasses after the operation without looking at the price of the frames, because for once in my life I wanted something that was a flattering style, fit well and wonders of all wonders I also got cool prescription sunglasses:) 

Now that my prescription has settled and will not change - I can finally take advantage of a free lens and frame program by a local manufacturer. A huge expense - now totally gone.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21015 on: October 16, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »

You know you don't have to get new frames just because you need a new prescription, right?
No, but you do need to make sure you have 2 working pairs of glasses.  If you need a new prescription and give them the old frames (I've done that), you'll need a back up pair of glasses in the meantime.

I finally decided to try Costco instead of my spendy lovely eye doctor's office.  My last visit to the eye doc, with insurance, my progressives came out to $600.  So I passed.  Got reading glasses instead.

The following year, new insurance worked at Costco (prior year did not).  Nice glasses (nope, not fancy, plastic frames) with insurance for $75, plus $10 for the exam.  As I expect to need new progressives every 2 years now (approx), Costco is the way to go.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21016 on: October 16, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
Unfortunately, no one but my optometristís office can fill my prescription. Once you need both a high prescription and the usual age related near sightedness, youíre sunk. Costco, BJís, Samís, Zenni, you name it, I called Ďme. They donít stock.

Mine were still around $500 all in (high index, scratch protect). Theyíll last me 4-5 years, so I suck it up and pay. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21017 on: October 17, 2018, 04:29:24 AM »

If you are very nearsighted and want high-index lenses so that the edges aren’t super thick, and if you want progressive bifocals on top of that, you can easily spend $1,000.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #21018 on: October 17, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »

If you are very nearsighted and want high-index lenses so that the edges arenít super thick, and if you want progressive bifocals on top of that, you can easily spend $1,000.

Seriously? Are these US prices? Maxed out glasses start here around 300Ä. Of course, it's not designed by Porsche, but still...

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21019 on: October 17, 2018, 06:19:51 AM »

If you are very nearsighted and want high-index lenses so that the edges arenít super thick, and if you want progressive bifocals on top of that, you can easily spend $1,000.

Seriously? Are these US prices? Maxed out glasses start here around 300Ä. Of course, it's not designed by Porsche, but still...

I paid 420Ä half a year ago for my current set. That is with the insureance part already deducted.
-7 on both sides, cylinders, not-reflecting and plastic, not glass.

Of course you can have one for zero, just insurance part. But that is ultra-heavy glass with reflections and lots of color disturbance.
No, thanks. It is already bad enough (4,2mm thick on the outside, and they are nearly the smallest that exist. Normal glass would have been 6,X mm and double the weight.)

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #21020 on: October 17, 2018, 06:26:31 AM »
Even 420Ä is not "easily $1000".

david_shin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Instagram
« Reply #21021 on: October 17, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
You can get glasses from Zenni for around $20-40. I "splurged" and got the more stylish Warby Parker since I liked being able to go to the store and try them on in person. They still only cost around $100 and I've had them for two years. I get lots of compliments on the glasses.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men?availability=hto

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21022 on: October 17, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
You can get glasses from Zenni for around $20-40. I "splurged" and got the more stylish Warby Parker since I liked being able to go to the store and try them on in person. They still only cost around $100 and I've had them for two years. I get lots of compliments on the glasses.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men?availability=hto

My mother's prescription before surgery was not covered by Zenni, or even by some eye doctors. Her vision is messed up enough that switching eye doctors is a problem, since their competence is not guaranteed. Even now, I don't think that many of the online places could get it right.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #21023 on: October 17, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »
Why not purchase glasses (including protective ones) from 39dollarglasses.com or Zennioptical?  I have used both services.   You don't get premium quality glasses, but getting impact resistant prescription ones for work are VERY nice to have, and cheap enough to replace every year. And safer because you can see out of them better than using the cover.   DH has a prescription around -7 and liked them
Wife tried both you mentioned. $39 is terrible, tons of lens scratches, frame issues. Zenni is just fashionably-looking frames, more form than function. Didn't work for wife's face, not sitting right, etc.
Wife gets good frames locally every 2 years covered by insurance. Or a small copay.

Ever_Anon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21024 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »
Overheard secondhand from my wife's work, as texted to me.

Wife: "Have you added up how much it costs you to buy lunch every day?"
Coworker: "Yes, and it's less than I spend at the grocery store."
Wife: "My sandwich cost less than 50 cents. Your lunch cost $15."
Coworker: "Yeah, but I buy organic stuff."

We've estimated this woman spends roughly the same amount of money on work lunches alone as we spend on all our food combined. That includes restaurant meals, alcohol, and various toiletries/cleaning supplies, (since we tend to pick those up when grocery shopping).

This same woman is apparently not saving much, (if at all), because "there's never anything left over to save." I just can't fathom that level of financial stupidity.

Sugaree

• Stubble
« Reply #21025 on: October 17, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
I'm so glad that the people I now work directly with aren't too bad.  I know that at least two out of the four have some CC debt, but nothing outrageous.  A third is a single guy who makes good money so he's not in debt, but he's not saving more than 5 or 10 percent for retirement.  We have team lunches and stuff, but we've pretty much built up our own little guerrilla kitchen so most of our team lunches consist of going to the grocery store to buy stuff to cook in the office.   

Now, there was a guy here about five years ago.  Whew.  He was a financial trainwreck.  Take someone with a prescription drug problem and add a wife who also has a problem not only with the pills, but also compulsive spending.  Add a dash of fraud, a three-pack-a-day, and a two-energy-drink-a-day habit.  What you end up with is someone who has $10k+ in medical bills (dr. shopping), numerous maxed out CCs, and lots of creditors calling.  He would go so far as to figure out how many miles it was from their house to wherever it was they were going and calculate exactly how much gas they needed to put in the car to get there and that's how much they'd put in.  It was insane.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21026 on: October 17, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
My supervisor said she and her husband have nothing saved for their 10 year old's college fund. But they had that trip to Disney earlier this year, and runs to Starbucks are a priority.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #21027 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Wife tried both you mentioned. $39 is terrible, tons of lens scratches, frame issues. Zenni is just fashionably-looking frames, more form than function. Didn't work for wife's face, not sitting right, etc.
Wife gets good frames locally every 2 years covered by insurance. Or a small copay.

This is what happens even with the glasses he buys now so I don't know if we would even dare to try an even cheaper option.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21028 on: October 17, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
Unfortunately, no one but my optometristís office can fill my prescription. Once you need both a high prescription and the usual age related near sightedness, youíre sunk. Costco, BJís, Samís, Zenni, you name it, I called Ďme. They donít stock.

Mine were still around $500 all in (high index, scratch protect). Theyíll last me 4-5 years, so I suck it up and pay.
Goodness, how high is your prescription?  I'm at 5.something (don't remember, 5.5? 5.75?), and I thought that was bad! (plus age related nearsightedness).

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21029 on: October 18, 2018, 08:23:26 AM »
Goodness, how high is your prescription?  I'm at 5.something (don't remember, 5.5? 5.75?), and I thought that was bad! (plus age related nearsightedness).

My prescription has been in the minus low to mid-teens my entire life. I would trade for a 5-something in a heartbeat! :) I've never had the convenience of "glasses in an hour" -- the work always has to be farmed off-site.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21030 on: October 18, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »

Apparently not quite as bad as @slugline!  Low teens in each eye. I think -12 in one and -13.5 in the other, plus astigmatism and presbyopia. Yay me!  I remember when I went to Costco and they said ďWe donít have that in stockĒ. I said Iím fine with waiting, but what they really meant was that they wonít/canít even order it.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21031 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »

Apparently not quite as bad as @slugline!  Low teens in each eye. I think -12 in one and -13.5 in the other, plus astigmatism and presbyopia. Yay me!  I remember when I went to Costco and they said ďWe donít have that in stockĒ. I said Iím fine with waiting, but what they really meant was that they wonít/canít even order it.

Costco doesn't carry the high end polymers that make such prescriptions light enough to stay on my nose.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #21032 on: October 19, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
Quick question: I've only recently moved to the US and may need new glasses now. Not because the old ones don't work anymore or because I broke them but because they're more than 10 years old and the frameless plastic lenses are somewhat scratched at this point. Since I rarely ever wear them (-1 on the right eye, -1.25 on the left) they lasted this long.

What's the standard way to get new glasses in the US? Friends and neighbors have recommended to go see an eye doctor once they found out I haven't had an eye exam in more than 10 years. Do I have to go see an optometrist and go through an eye exam just to get a prescription? My eyes are perfect, I have no family history and no trouble whatsoever, and I really don't believe in paying $200-$250 for a doctor to look at me and tell me everything is alright. I know that already, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:10:24 AM by kms »

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21033 on: October 19, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
Quick question: I've only recently moved to the US and may need new glasses now. Not because the old ones don't work anymore or because I broke them but because they're more than 10 years old and the frameless plastic lenses are somewhat scratched at this point. Since I rarely ever wear them (-1 on the right eye, -1.25 on the left) they lasted this long.

What's the standard way to get new glasses in the US? Friends and neighbors have recommended to go see an eye doctor once they found out I haven't had an eye exam in more than 10 years. Do I have to go see an optometrist and go through an eye exam just to get a prescription? My eyes are perfect, I have no family history and no trouble whatsoever, and I really don't believe in paying $200-$250 for a doctor to look at me and tell me everything is alright. I know that already, thank you very much.

You can buy reading glasses in various low strengths (up to about 2.5) from a drugstore for $10-20 but they'll have the same strength in both eyes. At 1/1.25 and since you don't wear them often maybe that wouldn't bother you.

If you want the two different strengths you'll need a prescription. For that you get an eye exam from an optometrist, which costs $60 or less. The you can order the glasses online cheap. Or you can do the standard spendypants American thing, and order glasses from the optician connected to the optometrist and spend hundreds of dollars on frames.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21034 on: October 19, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »

I think some online places like eyebuydirect don't require to see your prescription (others do make you scan it.)

But since your prescription is more than a year old, you would need to see an optometrist or ophthalmologist to get a prescription; retail outlets can't sell glasses to you without a prescription.  (If you had a + prescription you could go buy off the rack "readers", but I don't think they sell those for -.) Our Walmart charges like $60 for this; their glasses are inexpensive, but you can then take the prescription and purchase them anywhere. 

If your eyes were perfect, you wouldn't need glasses. So that's kind of a weird thing to say...

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21035 on: October 19, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »

I believe that you have to have a prescription from the last 12 months in order to buy glasses legally in the US.  I actually had another health problem (unrelated to vision, really) diagnosed by an eye doctor, so I think it makes sense to go every few years even if you had 20/20 vision (which it sounds like you don't).  I'd price shop if your prescription is weak, then immediately get a .pdf of your prescription (which they are obligated to give you but may drag their feet on in order to get you to use the affiliate to buy lenses), and find frames you like online.

AMandM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21036 on: October 19, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
My daughter graduated from college two years ago and works for a federal agency.  She asked me the other day, "Would you say I'm middle class?" She has a solid income, and on her salary she and her husband have the comforts of middle class life (rent a pleasant apartment, eat well, go out every so often, buy clothes, go on vacation), so I said Yes and asked why.  Turns out a colleague in her hiring cohort said he couldn't wait to get promoted two levels so that he (single) could be "barely middle-class."  Apparently this guy won't consider any place to live that doesn't have granite countertops and SS appliances--even though she's never seen him eat anything that wasn't made by shaking up a powder in water.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #21037 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
I don't need reading glasses - I'm shortsighted not longsighted.

Thanks everybody for their input. I don't have a prescription yet as I haven't been to an eye doctor in more than 5 years. Last time I went was to determine whether or not I qualify for corrective laser eye surgery, and the doctor determined that in fact I do not because my shortsightedness is too weak. And by "my eyes are perfect" I mean that my eyesight hasn't changed in the last 20+ years and I have no issues with my eyes whatsoever except for this minor shortsightedness. There are two optometrists in our neighborhood and I've asked around, apparently they both charge close to or upwards of $200 for a new patient eye exam.

I'll probably check out the next Walmart Superstore. Somebody mentioned Costco but I don't have a membership and don't really want to either. Thanks everybody, this was already very helpful :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21038 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
I don't need reading glasses - I'm shortsighted not longsighted.

Thanks everybody for their input. I don't have a prescription yet as I haven't been to an eye doctor in more than 5 years. Last time I went was to determine whether or not I qualify for corrective laser eye surgery, and the doctor determined that in fact I do not because my shortsightedness is too weak. And by "my eyes are perfect" I mean that my eyesight hasn't changed in the last 20+ years and I have no issues with my eyes whatsoever except for this minor shortsightedness. There are two optometrists in our neighborhood and I've asked around, apparently they both charge close to or upwards of $200 for a new patient eye exam.

I'll probably check out the next Walmart Superstore. Somebody mentioned Costco but I don't have a membership and don't really want to either. Thanks everybody, this was already very helpful :-)

It is state dependent, but Costco Optical here you can go in and use the service as a non-member, so check that out too.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #21039 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
Good to know, thank you.

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21040 on: October 19, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
Back on topic:

I have a coworker who is insanely buried in debt and working at McDonald's in addition to his full-time job "in order to get ahead."

He just used the phrase "a cheapie $500-600 desktop" to refer to the computer he's thinking of impulse-buying for his kids.

"cheapie" !== "$500-$600" when you have a negative net worth!!! *bangs head on desk*

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21041 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
Back on topic:

I have a coworker who is insanely buried in debt and working at McDonald's in addition to his full-time job "in order to get ahead."

He just used the phrase "a cheapie $500-600 desktop" to refer to the computer he's thinking of impulse-buying for his kids.

"cheapie" !== "$500-$600" when you have a negative net worth!!! *bangs head on desk*

Though to his credit, he did just pay of one of his vehicles today.

SunnyDays

• Stubble
« Reply #21042 on: October 19, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »

You can buy reading glasses in various low strengths (up to about 2.5) from a drugstore for $10-20 but they'll have the same strength in both eyes. At 1/1.25 and since you don't wear them often maybe that wouldn't bother you.

If you want the two different strengths you'll need a prescription. For that you get an eye exam from an optometrist, which costs $60 or less. The you can order the glasses online cheap. Or you can do the standard spendypants American thing, and order glasses from the optician connected to the optometrist and spend hundreds of dollars on frames.

Can you just buy drugstore glasses in two different strengths and switch out one of the lenses?

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21043 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »

Can you just buy drugstore glasses in two different strengths and switch out one of the lenses?

Do drugstores even sell glasses with negative-value strengths? Iíve only ever seen reading glasses in positive-value strengths (believe me, Iíve looked because my prescription is -0.50).

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #21044 on: October 19, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »

It's probably a good idea to have an exam after that long not just for your prescription but also for your eye health. We only get the one pair, right? But if you have a very low prescription like 1ish then I think you can pick up cheap readers at a drug store. (Not an expert on that, I can only see about 4 inches without corrective lenses )

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21045 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »

Do drugstores even sell glasses with negative-value strengths? Iíve only ever seen reading glasses in positive-value strengths (believe me, Iíve looked because my prescription is -0.50).

I've never seen negatives in stores, but Amazon does.
https://www.amazon.com/ALWAYSUV-Shortsighted-Nearsighted-Distance-Strength/dp/B07FXGZN98/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539996905&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nearsighted%2Bglasses&dpPl=1&dpID=31QDRVJYoPL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #21046 on: October 19, 2018, 10:35:02 PM »

I buy my frames from eBay or Amazon.  I know what size I need, so I make sure that the frames are all about that size.  I then use a place called 39dollarglasses.com to put the lens in for $30 (and often they have a "get the 2nd pair for half off" deal).  Of course, they have frames as well for $9, hence the company name, but they don't appeal to me.  I now have 5 different pairs of glasses - regular (far) Rx, no tint; regular Rx, medium tint; regular Rx, dark tint; near Rx, no tint; middle Rx, no tint - that cost me about $250 total.  I typically get a new Rx every 2 years, even though with the Medicaid expansion I get a free Rx (my eyes don't change much).

Eckhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21047 on: October 20, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

Please do me a favor and start a new thread about glasses.  Best to keep this one on track.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21048 on: October 20, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Please do me a favor and start a new thread about glasses.  Best to keep this one on track.

You obviously have not actually read this thread.

tralfamadorian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21049 on: October 20, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

Yes, because it is absolutely critical that a sprawling, 423 page, self-congratulatory behemoth like OaW stay on track and avoid any actual useful information. lolz