Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8911268 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20800 on: August 30, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
One of my coworkers was in a little bit late this morning, because she was up late last night "pre-cleaning" before her cleaner came today. I guess the house was such a mess that she needed to pick up some before the cleaner got there.

My two coworkers were discussing this, and she mentioned that she pays $60 every other week for her cleaner. The other coworker says that she has a team of 3 people that cleans for her. They have a "super cool" backpack vacuum thing as well as some propriety cleaners that don't smell like cleaners, which is apparently the best thing ever. Price tag? $180 every other week.

We all make about $80k a year and most of the houses in this town are no bigger than 2000 square feet, to give a point of reference.

Are they married to someone with similar salaries? Real cleaning (the vacuuming and mopping, as opposed to just finding a place for things) is really stressful for me and I can imagine it is even more so when someone has kids. If I were working the same kind of hours my husband does, we would very much be paying for this service.

And most people have to "pre-clean" for their cleaners. Because cleaners don't put stuff away. So you need to tidy so they can do the dusting, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing.

We have someone come in twice a year. I just have zero interest in taking down my blinds and scrubbing them. While they are there they do all the bathrooms really well, they do all the baseboards, they vacuum, mop and dust.
I clean on the weekends- constant decluttering, putting things away, vacuuming, or as I notice it needed (sweeping the kitchen nearly daily) - but my husband and I both work 50+ hours a week, and I'm going to school part time. Cleaning just isn't high on the priority list, I'd rather play with my daughter. 

At $80k, you're a high enough earner to pay for a cleaning person. $60 a visit is pretty cheap for 3 people to come in.

The issue comes if she's paying for a cleaner, eating all her meals out, getting regular manicures and pedicures, having monthly clothes rentals, leasing a new car every year... 
At $80k, you can certainly have nice things, you just can't have EVERYTHING.

Honestly, if your life is too crazy to do basic household maintenance, then something's wrong in your life. House too big, too many activities, someone's not pulling their weight, too much stuff making a mess, etc. There is value in taking a giant step back and reconsidering these types of things.

There are things wrong with my life, but not wanting to spend time cleaning when I can easily pay someone to do it (twice a year!) isn't one of them.

And yes, my house is too big- but it's impossible to find a small house with space for a woodshop that is biking distance to work. So that was the compromise.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20801 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
One of my coworkers was in a little bit late this morning, because she was up late last night "pre-cleaning" before her cleaner came today. I guess the house was such a mess that she needed to pick up some before the cleaner got there.

My two coworkers were discussing this, and she mentioned that she pays $60 every other week for her cleaner. The other coworker says that she has a team of 3 people that cleans for her. They have a "super cool" backpack vacuum thing as well as some propriety cleaners that don't smell like cleaners, which is apparently the best thing ever. Price tag? $180 every other week.

We all make about $80k a year and most of the houses in this town are no bigger than 2000 square feet, to give a point of reference.

Are they married to someone with similar salaries? Real cleaning (the vacuuming and mopping, as opposed to just finding a place for things) is really stressful for me and I can imagine it is even more so when someone has kids. If I were working the same kind of hours my husband does, we would very much be paying for this service.

And most people have to "pre-clean" for their cleaners. Because cleaners don't put stuff away. So you need to tidy so they can do the dusting, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing.

We have someone come in twice a year. I just have zero interest in taking down my blinds and scrubbing them. While they are there they do all the bathrooms really well, they do all the baseboards, they vacuum, mop and dust.
I clean on the weekends- constant decluttering, putting things away, vacuuming, or as I notice it needed (sweeping the kitchen nearly daily) - but my husband and I both work 50+ hours a week, and I'm going to school part time. Cleaning just isn't high on the priority list, I'd rather play with my daughter. 

At $80k, you're a high enough earner to pay for a cleaning person. $60 a visit is pretty cheap for 3 people to come in.

The issue comes if she's paying for a cleaner, eating all her meals out, getting regular manicures and pedicures, having monthly clothes rentals, leasing a new car every year... 

Honestly, if your life is too crazy to do basic household maintenance, then something's wrong in your life. House too big, too many activities, someone's not pulling their weight, too much stuff making a mess, etc. There is value in taking a giant step back and reconsidering these types of things.
Two adults with full time jobs (40+ hours a week, more when you add in commutes), young children (particularly any children under school age - 0 to 4 are just fucking exhausting - there's almost no way around it - you feel  like you are in a fog).  I mean, it really doesn't matter how big your house is (mine is < 1200 sf).  Simply having the jobs and the children means there's not enough time for everything.

You aren't getting enough sleep.
You aren't getting enough exercise.
Depending on your job and age, you may be in a position of management or stress at work.
You really want to spend all your spare time with the children.  Or sleeping.  Or exercising, but mostly sleeping.

Taking a big step back to reevaluate is a nice big platitude to say and all, but if neither parent wants to quit their job and neither employer is open to reduced work hours - the answer is pretty simple.  In the short term, to save your sanity - you hire out if you want to and can afford it.  Depending on age and # of kids, it's a short period of time.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20802 on: August 30, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »

Two adults with full time jobs (40+ hours a week, more when you add in commutes), young children (particularly any children under school age - 0 to 4 are just fucking exhausting - there's almost no way around it - you feel  like you are in a fog).  I mean, it really doesn't matter how big your house is (mine is < 1200 sf).  Simply having the jobs and the children means there's not enough time for everything.

You aren't getting enough sleep.
You aren't getting enough exercise.
Depending on your job and age, you may be in a position of management or stress at work.
You really want to spend all your spare time with the children.  Or sleeping.  Or exercising, but mostly sleeping.

Taking a big step back to reevaluate is a nice big platitude to say and all, but if neither parent wants to quit their job and neither employer is open to reduced work hours - the answer is pretty simple.  In the short term, to save your sanity - you hire out if you want to and can afford it.  Depending on age and # of kids, it's a short period of time.
I struggle with making this decision, but I work about 60 hours a week, and my husband 37, and on top of our aggregate 3 hours of commuting, cleaning is a lot.  I think I may partially outsource it until I think the baby will recognize what's happening... maybe age 4 or so??

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20803 on: August 30, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »
I struggle with making this decision, but I work about 60 hours a week, and my husband 37, and on top of our aggregate 3 hours of commuting, cleaning is a lot.  I think I may partially outsource it until I think the baby will recognize what's happening... maybe age 4 or so??
FWIW, we start our kids on chores at age 3.  This includes unloading the dishwasher, starting the laundry, wiping down the table after a meal, etc.  (we have lots of kids, so the jobs rotate).  At that age, you have to do a lot of helping, but they still think doing chores is fun!

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20804 on: August 30, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
FWIW, we start our kids on chores at age 3.  This includes unloading the dishwasher, starting the laundry, wiping down the table after a meal, etc.  (we have lots of kids, so the jobs rotate).  At that age, you have to do a lot of helping, but they still think doing chores is fun!
It's never too late to start the kids on chores either. We tended to be lazy for a long time because it was just easier to do it ourselves (and faster) than to help them, teach them, nag them.

But now they are 12 and 6, and they load the diswasher, fold their laundry, help declutter, take out the trash (12 yo), etc.

I think my friends who are SAHPs and around their kids a lot more are far more likely to get their kids into chores earlier.

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20805 on: August 30, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
It's never too late to start the kids on chores either. We tended to be lazy for a long time because it was just easier to do it ourselves (and faster) than to help them, teach them, nag them.

But now they are 12 and 6, and they load the diswasher, fold their laundry, help declutter, take out the trash (12 yo), etc.

I think my friends who are SAHPs and around their kids a lot more are far more likely to get their kids into chores earlier.

The stay at home moms in my family don't believe in chores. They have occasionally wished they had more help and made a half hearted effort to have family chores, but that never lasts very long. One is pretty adamant about no chores, although she has tried to get the kids to put their own laundry in the hamper sporadically.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20806 on: August 30, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
I guess I'm a slob, because I don't care about the floors and never have. After 3 years of only sweeping and mopping when company came over (4 -8 times a year) I bought a Roomba for $350.

Now we only mop 4-8 times a year and when there is a spill or dog mess. Floors are tile and wood. No carpet.

We do have to pre clean for the Roomba though, and even then I stay nearby cooking or cleaning to get it out of it's tangles or irregular height spots.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20807 on: August 30, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
I guess I'm a slob, because I don't care about the floors and never have. After 3 years of only sweeping and mopping when company came over (4 -8 times a year) I bought a Roomba for $350.

Now we only mop 4-8 times a year and when there is a spill or dog mess. Floors are tile and wood. No carpet.

We do have to pre clean for the Roomba though, and even then I stay nearby cooking or cleaning to get it out of it's tangles or irregular height spots.

You got one of those mystical non-shedding dogs?

I used to be like you, but now with he dog we really have to vacuum every week or live in a hairdrift

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20808 on: August 31, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

I used to be like you, but now with he dog we really have to vacuum every week or live in a hairdrift

After living with a shedding chihuahua and now a non-shedding poodle, I can't believe how much cleaner the floor stays without dog hair. Serious dog upgrade. I'm never getting a shedding dog again.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #20809 on: August 31, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
2 poodles and a schnauzer, no problems w/ dog hair.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #20810 on: August 31, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
A young co-worker of mine was telling us about all the car modifications he's planning on doing. To a leased car.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20811 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »

I had schnauzers, they don't shed. When we got the pitbull, we got a roomba shortly after for her shedding. Otherwise I probably would have kept up with my old level of cleaning.

gooki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20812 on: September 01, 2018, 03:56:37 AM »
A young co-worker of mine was telling us about all the car modifications he's planning on doing. To a leased car.

WTF???

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20813 on: September 01, 2018, 04:30:47 AM »

I sure hope heís planning on buying it at the end of the lease.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #20814 on: September 01, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »

It sounded like he was just going to turn it in at the end. He was buying bolt on stuff, so he should be able to return it to stock form, but I donít get why he would risk messing up a car heíll be turning in after a few years. Heíll also be left with a pile of parts heíll need to store, sell, or trash.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20815 on: September 01, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
Oh, and did I tell you I got new 65in TV's?  The 55 inch ones seemed a little small so figured I should upgrade.

Seriously...living with only a 55 inch TV? That's pretty much the electronic equivalent of living without indoor plumbing. A must-have upgrade.

Whats my 40 inch (or even smaller) one then, that I got "gifted"? Did someone gift me an indoor shit pit?
You need to find friends that are more spendypants! My wife was gifted a 46" TV when her friend upgraded.
Apparently that's not big enough, but I'll gladly suffer with it. :-)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:14:40 PM by BTDretire »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20816 on: September 01, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
Oh, and did I tell you I got new 65in TV's?  The 55 inch ones seemed a little small so figured I should upgrade.

Seriously...living with only a 55 inch TV? That's pretty much the electronic equivalent of living without indoor plumbing. A must-have upgrade.

Whats my 40 inch (or even smaller) one then, that I got "gifted"? Did someone gift me an indoor shit pit?
You need to find friends that are more spendypants! My wife was gifted a 46" TV when her friend upgraded.
Damn, I only bought our 43" last year and thought it was luxurious.  Clearly I must have been mistaken.  Somehow I will find a way to cope with this awful life.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20817 on: September 02, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »

Damn, I only bought our 43" last year and thought it was luxurious.  Clearly I must have been mistaken.  Somehow I will find a way to cope with this awful life.

Just sit closer!  The only excuse for a large TV is if you have a large number of people watching, making viewing angles problematic at shorter distances (think movie theater design).  Otherwise I always loved watching video on my 12Ē laptop 24Ē from my face. 

Kyle Schuant

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20818 on: September 02, 2018, 02:30:13 AM »
Up till the 1970s, the recommendation for TVs was to sit eight times their diagonal size from them. So, eight feet from a 12" TV, and from the 75" TVs I've seen on sale... fifty feet?

Now it's twice the diagonal. We want to be immersed, apparently. One reason we have more shortsighted people...

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20819 on: September 02, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
Up till the 1970s, the recommendation for TVs was to sit eight times their diagonal size from them. So, eight feet from a 12" TV, and from the 75" TVs I've seen on sale... fifty feet?

Now it's twice the diagonal. We want to be immersed, apparently. One reason we have more shortsighted people...

I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen. It's 28 inch and we sit around eight feet from it. We don't have cable, we just use it for Netflix and he uses it for gaming. I never even had a TV until I moved in with him, I would watch DVDs on my laptop occasionally. To me this thing feels really big already.

I guess I should be happy he's lusting after 32 inch screens, not one of those 75 inch screens. One of our neighbours has one. He has a window directly opposite the TV (above the sofa) and he never closes the curtains. From my bedroom window, 50 feet away, I can clearly see what he's watching.

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20820 on: September 02, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »

I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen. It's 28 inch and we sit around eight feet from it. We don't have cable, we just use it for Netflix and he uses it for gaming. I never even had a TV until I moved in with him, I would watch DVDs on my laptop occasionally. To me this thing feels really big already.

I guess I should be happy he's lusting after 32 inch screens, not one of those 75 inch screens. One of our neighbours has one. He has a window directly opposite the TV (above the sofa) and he never closes the curtains. From my bedroom window, 50 feet away, I can clearly see what he's watching.

So now all you need is your own remote to change your neighbor's channel and turn on subtitles :)

Kyle Schuant

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20821 on: September 02, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen.
Just tell him, "You're not the only one who'd like something bigger." It doesn't have to be true, it should keep him quiet for a bit.

cloudsail

• Bristles
« Reply #20822 on: September 03, 2018, 01:05:50 AM »
I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen.
Just tell him, "You're not the only one who'd like something bigger." It doesn't have to be true, it should keep him quiet for a bit.

I literally LOL'ed :D

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20823 on: September 03, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »

I don't know how my guy does it (he does it all the time) but he just came home with a free, barely used TV. 44 inch, bigger than we'd hoped, value Ä700 new. Every now and then it suddenly turns itself off. The previous owner got a free replacement because it was faulty and didn't have to return this one. Since he's pretty good at fixing electronics (it's his work) I'm sure he'll figure out a way to fix this. The previous owner wasn't able to turn it on at all and he's already got it to the point where it just turns off every now and then. He thinks he might have to replace a part. We also might have to rearrange all the furniture to house this clown TV.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20824 on: September 03, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »

Not just now.  Wide screens were originally implemented in order to provide an immersive experience by entering your peripheral vision.  Over time, however, it seems like directors have started to put subjects and action near the edges.  Which means you get those people who like to sit all the way in the back so they can see everything, defeating the original purpose of widescreen.

But now, technology is fighting back.  We've got things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX where they are adding projectors to the side walls.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20825 on: September 04, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »

Not just now.  Wide screens were originally implemented in order to provide an immersive experience by entering your peripheral vision.  Over time, however, it seems like directors have started to put subjects and action near the edges.  Which means you get those people who like to sit all the way in the back so they can see everything, defeating the original purpose of widescreen.

But now, technology is fighting back.  We've got things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX where they are adding projectors to the side walls.

It is not technology fightign back, it is TV sellers trying to get you into buying more TVs. Especially expensive ones.

I mean, just imagine people still using their first HD TV and maybe using it for the next ten years too! What a horror! What a stone to the progress of the economy!!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20826 on: September 04, 2018, 06:38:07 AM »
Co-worker at the lunch table: I am going on a week's vacation with a friend, to Turkey. My friend just messaged me that she had scheduled a boat trip from Marmaris. You (my co-worker) have nothing to say in this, I just booked it.

They are talking about hiring a private boat with sailor from 10am to 17 pm. Turley is a low-cost country, so it is probably not very expensive. But I wouldn't like it if my friend had ordered an expense, not giving me a voice in it, and expected me to pay half of it.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20827 on: September 04, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »

It sounded like he was just going to turn it in at the end. He was buying bolt on stuff, so he should be able to return it to stock form, but I donít get why he would risk messing up a car heíll be turning in after a few years. Heíll also be left with a pile of parts heíll need to store, sell, or trash.

Is he going for appearance mods or "more poweh"?

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20828 on: September 04, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »

It is not technology fightign back, it is TV sellers trying to get you into buying more TVs. Especially expensive ones.

I mean, just imagine people still using their first HD TV and maybe using it for the next ten years too! What a horror! What a stone to the progress of the economy!!

Bicycles are the same way. Once I renewed my interest in pedaling a few years back I realized that there are types of bikes I never heard of. A gravel bike? Looks like a ten speed road bike with bigger tires. I always thought a mtn bike was for gravel roads.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20829 on: September 05, 2018, 02:48:47 AM »

Bicycles are the same way. Once I renewed my interest in pedaling a few years back I realized that there are types of bikes I never heard of. A gravel bike? Looks like a ten speed road bike with bigger tires. I always thought a mtn bike was for gravel roads.

Husband has a gravel bike. We thought the same. He has a flat bar road bike, we measured the gap between brakes and the front fork and put in the biggest possible tyres.

Voila, gravel bike! At the cost of a set of tyres. :)

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #20830 on: September 05, 2018, 03:44:48 AM »

It sounded like he had mostly appearance stuff purchased now but wanted to get an exhaust system and intake. Those probably wonít add much power, or be a huge risk for damage to the car. Mostly, heíll probably just make the car noisier. It still seems silly to sink money into a car you will be turning in at th end of the lease.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20831 on: September 05, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
Yep it does.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #20832 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »

It sounded like he had mostly appearance stuff purchased now but wanted to get an exhaust system and intake. Those probably wonít add much power, or be a huge risk for damage to the car. Mostly, heíll probably just make the car noisier. It still seems silly to sink money into a car you will be turning in at th end of the lease.

Not to mention that he will potentially void any warranty on that car from the manufacturer , a modified leased vehicle is a really really bad idea. Tell him to light his money on fire - it might bring more entertainment (possibly even less headaches) than modiFRYing a leased car/truck.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #20833 on: September 05, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
A young co-worker of mine was telling us about all the car Blighty he's planning on doing. To a leased car.

I hope he's looked over the lease carefully. He may end owing a significant amount when he turns it in if he's made 
modifications. But then again....it's only money.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20834 on: September 06, 2018, 01:51:11 AM »

I don't know how my guy does it (he does it all the time) but he just came home with a free, barely used TV. 44 inch, bigger than we'd hoped, value Ä700 new. Every now and then it suddenly turns itself off. The previous owner got a free replacement because it was faulty and didn't have to return this one. Since he's pretty good at fixing electronics (it's his work) I'm sure he'll figure out a way to fix this. The previous owner wasn't able to turn it on at all and he's already got it to the point where it just turns off every now and then. He thinks he might have to replace a part. We also might have to rearrange all the furniture to house this clown TV.

So, my boyfriend told a coworker the above story, and told him all the specs of the TV.

Coworker's first reply: I didn't know they made TV's like that in such a small size!

I know for a fact that coworker spent a month's worth of wages on a TV last year. Coworker makes around 25-30k before taxes.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20835 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
Heck yeah they make really small flat panel TVs - let me show you the one I carry around in my pocket. Its ~5.5"... It does all the streaming services, all the video files via VLC and FM radio.

If I sit on my couch and hold it up in front of my face it is the same size as the 42" TV across the room more or less. ;)

Big TVs are nice and everything but I really want to retire someday. 

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #20836 on: September 07, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
Every year for the past several years, my wife and I plan to put about $1000 into our budget for a new TV. But we can never pull the trigger on buying a new one. Ours is a 46 inch but it's the old heavy kind. We bought it used 8 years ago for a couple hundred bucks. The TV kinda sucks but we always end up putting the money towards something else instead. It's just not a huge priority for us.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20837 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Every year for the past several years, my wife and I plan to put about $1000 into our budget for a new TV. But we can never pull the trigger on buying a new one. Ours is a 46 inch but it's the old heavy kind. We bought it used 8 years ago for a couple hundred bucks. The TV kinda sucks but we always end up putting the money towards something else instead. It's just not a huge priority for us.

If it's not a huge priority and you can save the money, great. But just fyi, a good TV won't cost you near that much. ~46" might cost 300-500? If you spend much time watching TV you should also take electric use into consideration. By "heavy kind" I'm assuming CRT? A CRT of that size might use 300W while an LED would be closer to 100W. Very rough estimations there, but worth looking into.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20838 on: September 07, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »

If it's not a huge priority and you can save the money, great. But just fyi, a good TV won't cost you near that much. ~46" might cost 300-500? If you spend much time watching TV you should also take electric use into consideration. By "heavy kind" I'm assuming CRT? A CRT of that size might use 300W while an LED would be closer to 100W. Very rough estimations there, but worth looking into.
Ours is a 1080p 43" Sharp with a built-in Roku. It was $229 19 months ago and is all we could ever want.  Might have to plug in a newer streaming box in a year or two if the built in stuff gets unsupported and crappy, but for now it's great.

It's rated at 88W when on which puts it at around $6/year in electricity estimating high (2h/day) use.

TVs have gotten SO much cheaper and better than they were 10-15 years ago.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #20839 on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »

Bought a 37" LCD HDTV in 2007 from side-gig earnings for $750. Average power consumption 210W.
Replaced it in late 2017 with a 55" 4K UHD Roku TV for $650. Average power consumption 64W.
Old TV went to charity.
New TVs are cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, and larger.
Add a pi-hole to your home network and you won't see adverts in the TV interface.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20840 on: September 07, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »

Ours is a 1080p 43" Sharp with a built-in Roku. It was $229 19 months ago and is all we could ever want.  Might have to plug in a newer streaming box in a year or two if the built in stuff gets unsupported and crappy, but for now it's great.

It's rated at 88W when on which puts it at around $6/year in electricity estimating high (2h/day) use.

One would hope that the Roku-branded TVs would have better/longer-term support than your average home-grown "smart TV" interface. Or at least this one hopes so, since I bought a TCL Roku TV a couple of years ago :)

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20841 on: September 07, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
Dissonance that so many fellow mustachians are buying huge TVs....

I bought a compater monitor for $100 with built in speakers 3 years ago. Otherwise the last time I bought a TV was when I was young and dumb nearly a decade ago 40", that I sold for $250 when I moved 7 years ago. And before that...never.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20842 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »

One would hope that the Roku-branded TVs would have better/longer-term support than your average home-grown "smart TV" interface. Or at least this one hopes so, since I bought a TCL Roku TV a couple of years ago :)
That was my view on it too.  Hopefully it pans out.  If not, plugging in a Roku-style box in two years is hardly the end of the world.  Before this we just watched stuff on a 24" computer monitor.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20843 on: September 07, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »

Eh, I don't own a TV, but if I ever buy one again, it'll be larger, and ideally I'll be able to set up surround sound.  I like immersion with my movies *shrug*.  Like the dos equis guy would say, 'I don't always watch TV, but when I do, I don't half-ass it'.  :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20844 on: September 07, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

I bought a compater monitor for $100 with built in speakers 3 years ago. Otherwise the last time I bought a TV was when I was young and dumb nearly a decade ago 40", that I sold for $250 when I moved 7 years ago. And before that...never.

Why?
Mustachianism is about being conscious where you spend your money. Not spending any at all.

If everyone is buying a large TVs for every room, with delivery dinners, after driving home from work in their gigantic luxury truck, while having seen every new release in a theater (with movie snacks!) then I see some cognitive dissonance.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20845 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

Why?
Mustachianism is about being conscious where you spend your money. Not spending any at all.

If everyone is buying a large TVs for every room, with delivery dinners, after driving home from work in their gigantic luxury truck, while having seen every new release in a theater (with movie snacks!) then I see some cognitive dissonance.

Also, I havenít seen any ďhugeĒ TVs mentioned in this thread.  Like 40-something inches is the smallest that youíll find commonly these days.  I saw an 80-90 inch tv the other day and yes that was ridiculous.  I donít agreee with getting the absolute largest you can afford, but thereís nothing wrong with large screens if appropriate for the room

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20846 on: September 07, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
40" is huge to me.

I come to this site to aspire to great Frugality while working towards a version I'm comfortable with. I surprised to see some of these posts, because these conversations look like the same ones held on YNAB where anything is okay so long as you budget for it.

I don't want to make it easier in anyway to watch TV. Different strokes and all that, you guys do you. I can still say this is not what I expect from the site.

Kyle Schuant

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20847 on: September 07, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
Well here in Australia there are plenty of 24" TVs for sale for about $200. That's about 10 hours' work at our minimum wage. This assumes you're buying new, of course.

So it's not like there aren't choices. Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head and making them spend a month's wages on a TV.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20848 on: September 07, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »
40" is huge to me.

I come to this site to aspire to great Frugality while working towards a version I'm comfortable with. I surprised to see some of these posts, because these conversations look like the same ones held on YNAB where anything is okay so long as you budget for it.

I don't want to make it easier in anyway to watch TV. Different strokes and all that, you guys do you. I can still say this is not what I expect from the site.

MMM was never about extreme frugality. He was about maximizing the performance of his money.

I have a 55" TV. That's nearly my height (well, diagonally). I'm OK with it.

I also don't "budget" for anything. I just have money. It either gets spent or doesn't.  Most of it doesn't- that's my goal.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20849 on: September 07, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »

I bought a computer monitor for $100 with built in speakers 3 years ago. Otherwise the last time I bought a TV was when I was young and dumb nearly a decade ago 40", that I sold for $250 when I moved 7 years ago. And before that...never.

Why?

Sorry I disagree here. I doubt MMM watches any TV at all. TV is about as anti MMM as you can get. You sit on your arse slowly getting fatter, being fed your entertainment while your brain cells die horrible painful deaths absorbing commercials or product placements, subconsciously driving you towards paying for more shit that you don't need.

Not saying I don't watch any TV (mostly news and sport), but I recognise that makes me a bit unmustachian.

Coming here saying "I bought a TV and its kosher because I'm consciously deciding to spend money on it" is not MMM. That's simply basic budgeting for your circumstances.