Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252847 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20700 on: August 24, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Overheard at work by DH. The cook working in the caferaria at work is a Greek. In Norway salaries are a LOT higher than in Greece. The cook was planning to move back to Greece next year. Someone asked him if he would be able to afford a nice house there. Turns out the cook already purchased a 14! bedroom house in Greece and is in the process of renting out rooms to tourists. Next year he is planning to retire from his job as a cook and going to live in the 14 bedroom house, while renting out the rooms in the summer. :-)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20701 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »
Overheard at work by DH. The cook working in the caferaria at work is a Greek. In Norway salaries are a LOT higher than in Greece. The cook was planning to move back to Greece next year. Someone asked him if he would be able to afford a nice house there. Turns out the cook already purchased a 14! bedroom house in Greece and is in the process of renting out rooms to tourists. Next year he is planning to retire from his job as a cook and going to live in the 14 bedroom house, while renting out the rooms in the summer. :-)
How dare you post such a story here! :P  I think the thread you're looking for is this one, where we share anti-anti-mustachian stories.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20702 on: August 24, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
What does one do with an undeveloped lakefront lot? Camp?

Camp, tiny house, or, ya know develop it

or just hope for land appreciation

I'd love an undeveloped lakefront lot, but I'm not gonna cash out my 401k for one
We got a mailer for several acres of lakefront property on the lake where my husband's family owns a camp.  Only $1.6 million for 20 acres of undeveloped...swamp land.  Seriously, I looked at the map and it's that "spot" right across the lake that is basically just swamp.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20703 on: August 24, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
What does one do with an undeveloped lakefront lot? Camp?

Camp, tiny house, or, ya know develop it

or just hope for land appreciation

I'd love an undeveloped lakefront lot, but I'm not gonna cash out my 401k for one
We got a mailer for several acres of lakefront property on the lake where my husband's family owns a camp.  Only $1.6 million for 20 acres of undeveloped...swamp land.  Seriously, I looked at the map and it's that "spot" right across the lake that is basically just swamp.

Grub farm?

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20704 on: August 24, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »
Our boss today discussing with a coworker whether to move from Rogers to Bell:

"You just have to phone them and tell them you're leaving - I have 4 cell phones, the internet, home phone and cable with them - one time they reduced my monthly bill be $200!"

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20705 on: August 25, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, the answer here is obvious - drain the swamp, haha

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20706 on: August 26, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
I keep in touch with an Old Coworker in Same Field. Discussion we just had on Facebook.

Her: How are you doing?
Me: May get an extension, but I need to see a contract by the end of the week. I've been putting $1000-$1200/week into my 401k. Just need 6 more weeks to reach the federally allowed max.
Her: Hopefully you'll be set for retirement. You need a break for sure, hard to be away from your family.
Me: I'd have to put another 2 years of Max 401k and IRA for my retirement to be set.
Her: You got shit figured out for sure. I'd say I envy you but I like my money now. Well, I do envy you, but I don't know where I'm going to be at retirement age. Probably dead lol
Me: I'm still getting $800 weekly. Once I reach the max, I can't put in any more. o_O so only 16 weeks a year I have to live on $3200 a month. Hardly living like a poor person. And it's not likely you will be dead before 70 sans an unfortunate major life event.
Her: That's awesome, I wish I had your will power. . I hope not [dying before 70]. but who knows, my lungs may not make it [moderate smoker].  I'm enjoying each day as if I'm going to die tomorrow from now on. I just want to live and enjoy life.
Me: I really don't think that living on $3200/month for 16 weeks isn't living and enjoying life. My husband just had a ten day vacation with me. He had to buy plane tickets for that. We ate out every day and rented a bunch of movies, visited family. Have plans to stay at a real nice Airbnb in Chicago for a symposium, also going to eat out and go to a live baseball game while we're there. I'm definitely living life! :) You can do both; save for your 60s and spend a couple k every month.
Her: I know I need to save for sure. [old age/retirement] is coming sooner or later. I've got to go in to Olive Garden, talk to you later!

All the bolded was bolded by me. I just shake my head in wide eyed what-the-fuck. How much will power do you need to live on $3200 a month? She's 40 and lets her alcoholic deadbeat husband (her words) steal all her money. So I think she just plans to spend it before he can, even thought she declared nearly the first day we met in May 2018 that she'd divorce him by July. :/

This is the sort of job where Net is $1700 or more a week if you aren't saving anything or paying for insurance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:26:20 PM by Mesmoiselle »

hettie1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20707 on: August 27, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »
One of my co-workers just told us about his new purchase.  Both CW1 and CW2 are managers who definitely make at least low-mid 6-figure salaries

CW1: I just got new siding for my house! 
CW2: wow, how did you afford that?
CW1: Oh, I took out a HELOC.  And I got a few credit cards that have 0 interest for 12-months.
CW2: Nice, that's smart
CW1: yeah, I figure I can pay a little on the HELOC now and then start paying the credit cards off when interest kicks in.  Oh, and did I tell you I got new 65in TV's?  The 55 inch ones seemed a little small so figured I should upgrade.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20708 on: August 27, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
Oh, and did I tell you I got new 65in TV's?  The 55 inch ones seemed a little small so figured I should upgrade.

Seriously...living with only a 55 inch TV? That's pretty much the electronic equivalent of living without indoor plumbing. A must-have upgrade.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20709 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:38 AM »
Oh, and did I tell you I got new 65in TV's?  The 55 inch ones seemed a little small so figured I should upgrade.

Seriously...living with only a 55 inch TV? That's pretty much the electronic equivalent of living without indoor plumbing. A must-have upgrade.

Whats my 40 inch (or even smaller) one then, that I got "gifted"? Did someone gift me an indoor shit pit?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20710 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:16 AM »
I was going to comment on what a generous gift that was, but then I looked up TV prices.  They are so much cheaper than when I was a teenager!

Still generous, but wow.

Whats my 40 inch (or even smaller) one then, that I got "gifted"? Did someone gift me an indoor shit pit?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20711 on: August 28, 2018, 07:36:14 AM »

A 40" is now considered portable or pocket sized in 2018.

Was walking my dog one evening and the neighbors must have rearranged their den b/c now the TV screen is visible through the windows. Its wall to wall TV! No idea what that size would be. We're still wearing out our 42" TV.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #20712 on: August 28, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
Went out for drinks with friends from work for the first time ever. We went to a dive bar at Happy Hour which fits my budget well.

Coworker 1- daughter is fending for herself at college I can’t help her with $ (she’ll be a freshman at a state school this year)

Coworker 2- Did your bankruptcy help her get student loans?

Coworker 1- Not sure. I’m just trying to decide where I want to be now. I kind of regret putting down the downpayment on the Tesla. *turns to me* Hey you want to buy a Tesla?

Me: No thanks, I’m good with my little Civic.

Turns out bankruptcy was 2 years ago and she definitely can’t afford a Tesla.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20713 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Went out for drinks with friends from work for the first time ever. We went to a dive bar at Happy Hour which fits my budget well.

Coworker 1- daughter is fending for herself at college I can’t help her with $ (she’ll be a freshman at a state school this year)

Coworker 2- Did your bankruptcy help her get student loans?

Coworker 1- Not sure. I’m just trying to decide where I want to be now. I kind of regret putting down the downpayment on the Tesla. *turns to me* Hey you want to buy a Tesla?

Me: No thanks, I’m good with my little Civic.

Turns out bankruptcy was 2 years ago and she definitely can’t afford a Tesla.

2 years ago?

Wouldn't something as expensive as a Tesla be confiscated then anyway to pay? Or is the 2 years the time after the "you have to pay what you can" (in Germany 7 years I think)

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #20714 on: August 28, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
She put down money to join the waiting list for a new car. I don’t know what their contracts are like but I assume she can cancel and lose the deposit. That’s what she should do but she sounds like one of those people who doesn’t want to burn $1-$3K cancel the contract and lose her deposit and will instead pay $35K+ on a car she can’t afford.

I have no idea how Tesla accepted her with a bankruptcy on her record. It’s 7 years here in the U.S. too. Maybe they don’t do background checks on deposits and figure if you can’t qualify for the car the deposit is free money for them.

I’ve worked with her for 2 years and would never have guessed she was this financially foolish.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20715 on: August 28, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
AFAIK Tesla is more than happy to take the $1k deposit. Anyone that ponies up can cancel for a refund up until the moment your car goes into production (when you're turn is coming up they'll ask for what specs you want and send you a final bill).

My guess is that the OP's coworker put the $1k on her card and Tesla is holding it as a deposit/interest free loan and that her credit rating will come up when Tesla contacts her for her final order.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20716 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
She put down money to join the waiting list for a new car. I don’t know what their contracts are like but I assume she can cancel and lose the deposit. That’s what she should do but she sounds like one of those people who doesn’t want to burn $1-$3K cancel the contract and lose her deposit and will instead pay $35K+ on a car she can’t afford.

I have no idea how Tesla accepted her with a bankruptcy on her record. It’s 7 years here in the U.S. too. Maybe they don’t do background checks on deposits and figure if you can’t qualify for the car the deposit is free money for them.

I’ve worked with her for 2 years and would never have guessed she was this financially foolish.
Looks like it depends on when she got in line: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-model-3-deposit-configurator/

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20717 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
One of my coworkers was in a little bit late this morning, because she was up late last night "pre-cleaning" before her cleaner came today. I guess the house was such a mess that she needed to pick up some before the cleaner got there.

My two coworkers were discussing this, and she mentioned that she pays $60 every other week for her cleaner. The other coworker says that she has a team of 3 people that cleans for her. They have a "super cool" backpack vacuum thing as well as some propriety cleaners that don't smell like cleaners, which is apparently the best thing ever. Price tag? $180 every other week.

We all make about $80k a year and most of the houses in this town are no bigger than 2000 square feet, to give a point of reference.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:12:50 AM by fattest_foot »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #20718 on: August 30, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
One of my coworkers was in a little bit late this morning, because she was up late last night "pre-cleaning" before her cleaner came today. I guess the house was such a mess that she needed to pick up some before the cleaner got there.

My two coworkers were discussing this, and she mentioned that she pays $60 every other week for her cleaner. The other coworker says that she has a team of 3 people that cleans for her. They have a "super cool" backpack vacuum thing as well as some propriety cleaners that don't smell like cleaners, which is apparently the best thing ever. Price tag? $180 every other week.

We all make about $80k a year and most of the houses in this town are no bigger than 2000 square feet, to give a point of reference.

Are they married to someone with similar salaries? Real cleaning (the vacuuming and mopping, as opposed to just finding a place for things) is really stressful for me and I can imagine it is even more so when someone has kids. If I were working the same kind of hours my husband does, we would very much be paying for this service.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20719 on: August 30, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »

Are they married to someone with similar salaries? Real cleaning (the vacuuming and mopping, as opposed to just finding a place for things) is really stressful for me and I can imagine it is even more so when someone has kids. If I were working the same kind of hours my husband does, we would very much be paying for this service.

And most people have to "pre-clean" for their cleaners. Because cleaners don't put stuff away. So you need to tidy so they can do the dusting, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing.

We have someone come in twice a year. I just have zero interest in taking down my blinds and scrubbing them. While they are there they do all the bathrooms really well, they do all the baseboards, they vacuum, mop and dust.
I clean on the weekends- constant decluttering, putting things away, vacuuming, or as I notice it needed (sweeping the kitchen nearly daily) - but my husband and I both work 50+ hours a week, and I'm going to school part time. Cleaning just isn't high on the priority list, I'd rather play with my daughter. 

At $80k, you're a high enough earner to pay for a cleaning person. $60 a visit is pretty cheap for 3 people to come in.

The issue comes if she's paying for a cleaner, eating all her meals out, getting regular manicures and pedicures, having monthly clothes rentals, leasing a new car every year... 
At $80k, you can certainly have nice things, you just can't have EVERYTHING.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20720 on: August 30, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »

And most people have to "pre-clean" for their cleaners. Because cleaners don't put stuff away. So you need to tidy so they can do the dusting, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing.

We have someone come in twice a year. I just have zero interest in taking down my blinds and scrubbing them. While they are there they do all the bathrooms really well, they do all the baseboards, they vacuum, mop and dust.
I clean on the weekends- constant decluttering, putting things away, vacuuming, or as I notice it needed (sweeping the kitchen nearly daily) - but my husband and I both work 50+ hours a week, and I'm going to school part time. Cleaning just isn't high on the priority list, I'd rather play with my daughter. 

At $80k, you're a high enough earner to pay for a cleaning person. $60 a visit is pretty cheap for 3 people to come in.

The issue comes if she's paying for a cleaner, eating all her meals out, getting regular manicures and pedicures, having monthly clothes rentals, leasing a new car every year... 

Honestly, if your life is too crazy to do basic household maintenance, then something's wrong in your life. House too big, too many activities, someone's not pulling their weight, too much stuff making a mess, etc. There is value in taking a giant step back and reconsidering these types of things.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20721 on: August 30, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »

Maybe my post was unclear, but both coworkers had cleaners. CW1 has a single cleaner come every other week for $60. CW2 has three cleaners come every other week for $180.

CW1 is actually in a good financial situation. Last week we were actually having the discussion about how when you say "max out 401k" people misunderstand and think you're talking about the match. Her and her husband both make similar salaries, plus he's got a military retirement. She does spend a lot of money on superfluous stuff like hair dye every few weeks and manicures, but they make a decent living and save a LOT.

CW2 is a widow with two teenagers. She has social security coming in from her husband's death, and probably a small life insurance nest egg, but I can tell she's siphoning off money in a hurry (for instance, a few months ago she was lamenting her $250 a month cable bill).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20722 on: August 30, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »

Honestly, if your life is too crazy to do basic household maintenance, then something's wrong in your life. House too big, too many activities, someone's not pulling their weight, too much stuff making a mess, etc. There is value in taking a giant step back and reconsidering these types of things.

There are things wrong with my life, but not wanting to spend time cleaning when I can easily pay someone to do it (twice a year!) isn't one of them.

And yes, my house is too big- but it's impossible to find a small house with space for a woodshop that is biking distance to work. So that was the compromise.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20723 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »

Two adults with full time jobs (40+ hours a week, more when you add in commutes), young children (particularly any children under school age - 0 to 4 are just fucking exhausting - there's almost no way around it - you feel  like you are in a fog).  I mean, it really doesn't matter how big your house is (mine is < 1200 sf).  Simply having the jobs and the children means there's not enough time for everything.

You aren't getting enough sleep.
You aren't getting enough exercise.
Depending on your job and age, you may be in a position of management or stress at work.
You really want to spend all your spare time with the children.  Or sleeping.  Or exercising, but mostly sleeping.

Taking a big step back to reevaluate is a nice big platitude to say and all, but if neither parent wants to quit their job and neither employer is open to reduced work hours - the answer is pretty simple.  In the short term, to save your sanity - you hire out if you want to and can afford it.  Depending on age and # of kids, it's a short period of time.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20724 on: August 30, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »

Two adults with full time jobs (40+ hours a week, more when you add in commutes), young children (particularly any children under school age - 0 to 4 are just fucking exhausting - there's almost no way around it - you feel  like you are in a fog).  I mean, it really doesn't matter how big your house is (mine is < 1200 sf).  Simply having the jobs and the children means there's not enough time for everything.

You aren't getting enough sleep.
You aren't getting enough exercise.
Depending on your job and age, you may be in a position of management or stress at work.
You really want to spend all your spare time with the children.  Or sleeping.  Or exercising, but mostly sleeping.

Taking a big step back to reevaluate is a nice big platitude to say and all, but if neither parent wants to quit their job and neither employer is open to reduced work hours - the answer is pretty simple.  In the short term, to save your sanity - you hire out if you want to and can afford it.  Depending on age and # of kids, it's a short period of time.
I struggle with making this decision, but I work about 60 hours a week, and my husband 37, and on top of our aggregate 3 hours of commuting, cleaning is a lot.  I think I may partially outsource it until I think the baby will recognize what's happening... maybe age 4 or so??

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20725 on: August 30, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »
I struggle with making this decision, but I work about 60 hours a week, and my husband 37, and on top of our aggregate 3 hours of commuting, cleaning is a lot.  I think I may partially outsource it until I think the baby will recognize what's happening... maybe age 4 or so??
FWIW, we start our kids on chores at age 3.  This includes unloading the dishwasher, starting the laundry, wiping down the table after a meal, etc.  (we have lots of kids, so the jobs rotate).  At that age, you have to do a lot of helping, but they still think doing chores is fun!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20726 on: August 30, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
FWIW, we start our kids on chores at age 3.  This includes unloading the dishwasher, starting the laundry, wiping down the table after a meal, etc.  (we have lots of kids, so the jobs rotate).  At that age, you have to do a lot of helping, but they still think doing chores is fun!
It's never too late to start the kids on chores either. We tended to be lazy for a long time because it was just easier to do it ourselves (and faster) than to help them, teach them, nag them.

But now they are 12 and 6, and they load the diswasher, fold their laundry, help declutter, take out the trash (12 yo), etc.

I think my friends who are SAHPs and around their kids a lot more are far more likely to get their kids into chores earlier.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #20727 on: August 30, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
It's never too late to start the kids on chores either. We tended to be lazy for a long time because it was just easier to do it ourselves (and faster) than to help them, teach them, nag them.

But now they are 12 and 6, and they load the diswasher, fold their laundry, help declutter, take out the trash (12 yo), etc.

I think my friends who are SAHPs and around their kids a lot more are far more likely to get their kids into chores earlier.

The stay at home moms in my family don't believe in chores. They have occasionally wished they had more help and made a half hearted effort to have family chores, but that never lasts very long. One is pretty adamant about no chores, although she has tried to get the kids to put their own laundry in the hamper sporadically.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20728 on: August 30, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
I guess I'm a slob, because I don't care about the floors and never have. After 3 years of only sweeping and mopping when company came over (4 -8 times a year) I bought a Roomba for $350.

Now we only mop 4-8 times a year and when there is a spill or dog mess. Floors are tile and wood. No carpet.

We do have to pre clean for the Roomba though, and even then I stay nearby cooking or cleaning to get it out of it's tangles or irregular height spots.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20729 on: August 30, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
I guess I'm a slob, because I don't care about the floors and never have. After 3 years of only sweeping and mopping when company came over (4 -8 times a year) I bought a Roomba for $350.

Now we only mop 4-8 times a year and when there is a spill or dog mess. Floors are tile and wood. No carpet.

We do have to pre clean for the Roomba though, and even then I stay nearby cooking or cleaning to get it out of it's tangles or irregular height spots.

You got one of those mystical non-shedding dogs?

I used to be like you, but now with he dog we really have to vacuum every week or live in a hairdrift

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20730 on: August 31, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

I used to be like you, but now with he dog we really have to vacuum every week or live in a hairdrift

After living with a shedding chihuahua and now a non-shedding poodle, I can't believe how much cleaner the floor stays without dog hair. Serious dog upgrade. I'm never getting a shedding dog again.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #20731 on: August 31, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
2 poodles and a schnauzer, no problems w/ dog hair.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20732 on: August 31, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
A young co-worker of mine was telling us about all the car modifications he's planning on doing. To a leased car.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20733 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »

I had schnauzers, they don't shed. When we got the pitbull, we got a roomba shortly after for her shedding. Otherwise I probably would have kept up with my old level of cleaning.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #20734 on: September 01, 2018, 03:56:37 AM »
A young co-worker of mine was telling us about all the car modifications he's planning on doing. To a leased car.

WTF???

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20735 on: September 01, 2018, 04:30:47 AM »

I sure hope he’s planning on buying it at the end of the lease.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20736 on: September 01, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »

It sounded like he was just going to turn it in at the end. He was buying bolt on stuff, so he should be able to return it to stock form, but I don’t get why he would risk messing up a car he’ll be turning in after a few years. He’ll also be left with a pile of parts he’ll need to store, sell, or trash.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20737 on: September 01, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »

You need to find friends that are more spendypants! My wife was gifted a 46" TV when her friend upgraded.
Apparently that's not big enough, but I'll gladly suffer with it. :-)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:14:40 PM by BTDretire »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20738 on: September 01, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »

You need to find friends that are more spendypants! My wife was gifted a 46" TV when her friend upgraded.
Damn, I only bought our 43" last year and thought it was luxurious.  Clearly I must have been mistaken.  Somehow I will find a way to cope with this awful life.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20739 on: September 02, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »

Damn, I only bought our 43" last year and thought it was luxurious.  Clearly I must have been mistaken.  Somehow I will find a way to cope with this awful life.

Just sit closer!  The only excuse for a large TV is if you have a large number of people watching, making viewing angles problematic at shorter distances (think movie theater design).  Otherwise I always loved watching video on my 12” laptop 24” from my face. 

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20740 on: September 02, 2018, 02:30:13 AM »
Up till the 1970s, the recommendation for TVs was to sit eight times their diagonal size from them. So, eight feet from a 12" TV, and from the 75" TVs I've seen on sale... fifty feet?

Now it's twice the diagonal. We want to be immersed, apparently. One reason we have more shortsighted people...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20741 on: September 02, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
Up till the 1970s, the recommendation for TVs was to sit eight times their diagonal size from them. So, eight feet from a 12" TV, and from the 75" TVs I've seen on sale... fifty feet?

Now it's twice the diagonal. We want to be immersed, apparently. One reason we have more shortsighted people...

I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen. It's 28 inch and we sit around eight feet from it. We don't have cable, we just use it for Netflix and he uses it for gaming. I never even had a TV until I moved in with him, I would watch DVDs on my laptop occasionally. To me this thing feels really big already.

I guess I should be happy he's lusting after 32 inch screens, not one of those 75 inch screens. One of our neighbours has one. He has a window directly opposite the TV (above the sofa) and he never closes the curtains. From my bedroom window, 50 feet away, I can clearly see what he's watching.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20742 on: September 02, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »

I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen. It's 28 inch and we sit around eight feet from it. We don't have cable, we just use it for Netflix and he uses it for gaming. I never even had a TV until I moved in with him, I would watch DVDs on my laptop occasionally. To me this thing feels really big already.

I guess I should be happy he's lusting after 32 inch screens, not one of those 75 inch screens. One of our neighbours has one. He has a window directly opposite the TV (above the sofa) and he never closes the curtains. From my bedroom window, 50 feet away, I can clearly see what he's watching.

So now all you need is your own remote to change your neighbor's channel and turn on subtitles :)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20743 on: September 02, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen.
Just tell him, "You're not the only one who'd like something bigger." It doesn't have to be true, it should keep him quiet for a bit.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20744 on: September 03, 2018, 01:05:50 AM »
I should tell my boyfriend this ... He has been nagging for a long time that we need a bigger screen.
Just tell him, "You're not the only one who'd like something bigger." It doesn't have to be true, it should keep him quiet for a bit.

I literally LOL'ed :D

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20745 on: September 03, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »

I don't know how my guy does it (he does it all the time) but he just came home with a free, barely used TV. 44 inch, bigger than we'd hoped, value €700 new. Every now and then it suddenly turns itself off. The previous owner got a free replacement because it was faulty and didn't have to return this one. Since he's pretty good at fixing electronics (it's his work) I'm sure he'll figure out a way to fix this. The previous owner wasn't able to turn it on at all and he's already got it to the point where it just turns off every now and then. He thinks he might have to replace a part. We also might have to rearrange all the furniture to house this clown TV.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20746 on: September 03, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »

Not just now.  Wide screens were originally implemented in order to provide an immersive experience by entering your peripheral vision.  Over time, however, it seems like directors have started to put subjects and action near the edges.  Which means you get those people who like to sit all the way in the back so they can see everything, defeating the original purpose of widescreen.

But now, technology is fighting back.  We've got things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX where they are adding projectors to the side walls.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20747 on: September 04, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »

Not just now.  Wide screens were originally implemented in order to provide an immersive experience by entering your peripheral vision.  Over time, however, it seems like directors have started to put subjects and action near the edges.  Which means you get those people who like to sit all the way in the back so they can see everything, defeating the original purpose of widescreen.

But now, technology is fighting back.  We've got things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX where they are adding projectors to the side walls.

It is not technology fightign back, it is TV sellers trying to get you into buying more TVs. Especially expensive ones.

I mean, just imagine people still using their first HD TV and maybe using it for the next ten years too! What a horror! What a stone to the progress of the economy!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20748 on: September 04, 2018, 06:38:07 AM »
Co-worker at the lunch table: I am going on a week's vacation with a friend, to Turkey. My friend just messaged me that she had scheduled a boat trip from Marmaris. You (my co-worker) have nothing to say in this, I just booked it.

They are talking about hiring a private boat with sailor from 10am to 17 pm. Turley is a low-cost country, so it is probably not very expensive. But I wouldn't like it if my friend had ordered an expense, not giving me a voice in it, and expected me to pay half of it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20749 on: September 04, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »

It sounded like he was just going to turn it in at the end. He was buying bolt on stuff, so he should be able to return it to stock form, but I don’t get why he would risk messing up a car he’ll be turning in after a few years. He’ll also be left with a pile of parts he’ll need to store, sell, or trash.

Is he going for appearance mods or "more poweh"?