Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252564 times)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20650 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:54 AM »
That's a bit murdery.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20651 on: August 10, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
One thing I don't get at all are big weddings with honeymoons and big gifts and a wedding registry etc. Although I've personally never been to a wedding like that, in our social circle people tend to have really low-key weddings. I only hear other people's horror stories. Half of people get divorced anyway, and sometimes I think that there might be a correlation between big expensive weddings and divorce statistics.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20652 on: August 11, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »
One thing I don't get at all are big weddings with honeymoons and big gifts and a wedding registry etc. Although I've personally never been to a wedding like that, in our social circle people tend to have really low-key weddings. I only hear other people's horror stories. Half of people get divorced anyway, and sometimes I think that there might be a correlation between big expensive weddings and divorce statistics.

There is. 

http://www.blackdragonblog.com/2015/01/25/expensive-wedding-higher-odds-divorce/

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20653 on: August 11, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »
I hope it was the Quadrifoglio 505hp, otherwise it is the same as the CR-V ( a nice, but sort of generic SUV/crossover)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20654 on: August 11, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
I've only been through Dusty once or twice, and didn't remember it, had to do a google map lookup.

I can visualize the flapping payment book.  Nice turn of phrase.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20655 on: August 11, 2018, 09:50:58 PM »
Not totally sure if he went full hog and got that or just got the Lusso AWD.  He was commenting that he went on a long road trip down to Dusty (you know where that is, neighbor of mine) and the thing had some serious hunker down mode that meant he barely had to pay attention while it hugged the curves of the Palouse.  Sounded like a very fun ride except for the drag created by the payment book flapping the breeze behind him ;-)

Wtf is a hunker down mode?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20656 on: August 12, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Feeling mildly guilty about judging here, but here goes:

Nice fellow at work leaves the parking garage behind me and notices that I have a different car than he remembers.  I notice he also has something different in my rear view mirror but think nothing of it, whatever.  Nice fellow wants to tell me about his new car though so he uses the chance encounter to ask about my car and I reciprocate with the question about his. 

My car:  2015 Honda CR-V bought in January 2018 at the Alfa Romeo dealership.  They had it as a trade-in sitting on their lot since September 2017 with only 15K miles and I snapped it up for cash at a great price, and it has all the premo stuff.  I got rid of the car I had been driving for 9 years up to this point which had also been bought as a 5YO used car (it was a 2004 model I bought for cash in 2009). 

His car:  2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, coincidenally bought at the same dealership this month.  He ordered it special and it has all the premo stuff.  Payments.  He is 60 and will be working a while longer since he is aiming for the company pension and SS as he knows you are expected to do, no thought of any other plan.

He seems very content and is pleased as punch about his car, just absolutely loves it.  I see the same car and it makes my skin crawl, I just couldn't do that with my money, but I nodded with enthusiasm and didn't question the choice at all.  Not my business.  The guy talks about wanting to retire now and again but is not a big complainer so I think he is living the life he wants. 

But to me the difference is so stark when you compare goals and life plans and habits of consumption.  The fact that we bought the cars at the exact same dealership with drastically different mindsets is interesting indeed.  It makes me wonder if there will be a shadow of doubt crossing his mind about the choice when I leave as an extremely early retiree and he is still there.  Probably not though.           

Did you buy his trade-in?

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #20657 on: August 12, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
Not totally sure if he went full hog and got that or just got the Lusso AWD.  He was commenting that he went on a long road trip down to Dusty (you know where that is, neighbor of mine) and the thing had some serious hunker down mode that meant he barely had to pay attention while it hugged the curves of the Palouse.  Sounded like a very fun ride except for the drag created by the payment book flapping the breeze behind him ;-)

I assume he was referring to some kind of sport mode.  Not familiar with the Alfa but most higher end vehicles have semi active or active dampers with tunes that can completely change the character of the vehicle.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20658 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Some of these cars will also lower the suspension when they are put into sport mode. Don't know if the Alfa-Romeos have this feature.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #20659 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

It's what sports cars do to avoid detection by lusty dragons.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20660 on: August 13, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20661 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:28 PM »
Coworker age 65 recently spoke to me about not being able to retire for another 5 years or so as he need the max SS benefits due to very little savings  and only a small pension of a few hundred dollars a month. He has been an engineer for over 40 years.

Today he asked our HR person for (another) 401k loan to pay for his 13 year old dog's intestine surgery. This is the second such request this year, with vet bills now over $15k.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #20662 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »

Mmhmm.  Some of them will even wrap themselves in chrome-like vinyl (to the tune of 6K) so when they slink around corners the sun will reflect off the coating and blind and/or disorient the dragon.  If you're really determined you can try their proving grounds where they are known to frolic by drag racing or catch one separated from the herd as it pulls out of the temperature controlled garage of a McMansion.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #20663 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:22 PM »
Coworker age 65 recently spoke to me about not being able to retire for another 5 years or so as he need the max SS benefits due to very little savings  and only a small pension of a few hundred dollars a month. He has been an engineer for over 40 years.

Today he asked our HR person for (another) 401k loan to pay for his 13 year old dog's intestine surgery. This is the second such request this year, with vet bills now over $15k.

Thank you for calming the foam...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20664 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »
There is a starbucks near our workplace, so it's not strange to see their products around our office floor. But lately it seems like a bunch of the younger co-workers are walking around with Starbucks Water. It's in the same plastic cup with long green straw, but it's...water?!?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20665 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
There is a starbucks near our workplace, so it's not strange to see their products around our office floor. But lately it seems like a bunch of the younger co-workers are walking around with Starbucks Water. It's in the same plastic cup with long green straw, but it's...water?!?

Are they refilling their cups from a previous purchase to use at work?

Starbucks gives you tap water for free. Some charge 30 cents or so for the cup though.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20666 on: August 15, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »

Mmhmm.  Some of them will even wrap themselves in chrome-like vinyl (to the tune of 6K) so when they slink around corners the sun will reflect off the coating and blind and/or disorient the dragon.  If you're really determined you can try their proving grounds where they are known to frolic by drag racing or catch one separated from the herd as it pulls out of the temperature controlled garage of a McMansion.

Finally, an explanation of the Citroën.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20667 on: August 16, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »

Starbucks gives you tap water for free. Some charge 30 cents or so for the cup though.
That would have been me at my old workplace. We had a lot of breaks where everyone would go down to the neighbouring Starbucks and I would go along to stretch my legs and generally got water. I never was charged. Probably because my coworkers were spending so much.

In my old workplace there was a coffee selling place nearby as well. Some colleagues would buy the fancy coffee for the group of coffee drinkers and with that morally compel the group members to do the same thing back next time.

marcela

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20668 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »

That would have been me at my old workplace. We had a lot of breaks where everyone would go down to the neighbouring Starbucks and I would go along to stretch my legs and generally got water. I never was charged. Probably because my coworkers were spending so much.

In my old workplace there was a coffee selling place nearby as well. Some colleagues would buy the fancy coffee for the group of coffee drinkers and with that morally compel the group members to do the same thing back next time.
It was mostly a group of broke interns so there was no buying rounds happening. For some of them, that "coffee" was their dinner. Ah, to be 19 and working in the arts...

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20669 on: August 18, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
I work in the federal government and am helping my boss out with reviewing resumes for a new hire. I'm a GS-11 which has a base salary of about $62,000. The position being advertised is also a GS-11 but two people who applied made far more so my boss called them to find out why they applied for a job with much lower pay. One guy was in a HCOL area and wanted to be closer to family in our LCOL area. The second guy was local and worked for a different federal agency as a GS-12 making $94,000. When we called him to find out why he was willing to take such a dramatic pay cut he said he thought he could get the job bumped up to GS-12 and basically match his current salary. When my boss informed him that wasn't going to be possible he mentioned he had three kids in college and had just bought three new cars so he couldn't afford a pay cut.

I don't know if he meant three new (used) cars or three brand new cars but WTF. Maybe his kids got a lot of scholarships or his wife has a good income as well but I can't imagine buying one brand new car, let alone three at the same time.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20670 on: August 19, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »

Yikes.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #20671 on: August 19, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »

As an animal lover and owner of 3 dogs it always pisses me off when I hear about people subjecting a dog or cat to multiple procedures to prolong thier life. So many times times it just prolongs the animal's suffering. I don't care if you have $10M; at some point you need to do what's best for the pet. This might mean letting go and not letting them stay alive but miserable. <end rant>

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20672 on: August 19, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »

As an animal lover and owner of 3 dogs it always pisses me off when I hear about people subjecting a dog or cat to multiple procedures to prolong thier life. So many times times it just prolongs the animal's suffering. I don't care if you have $10M; at some point you need to do what's best for the pet. This might mean letting go and not letting them stay alive but miserable. <end rant>

Same could be said for humans :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20673 on: August 19, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
What sort of obligation, if any, do you feel to caution your friends or "work friends" about the consequences of their profligacy? A former colleague of mine is about to be medically released from the military where she earns about $80k/year. Insurance will provide her with 75% of her previous pay for 2 years, then she'll get a pension worth about $30k/year. She's amassed over $40K in consumer debt while earning $80k, so she needs to adjust her lifestyle - but doesn't see the need.

She has little home equity, a high school education, has moved back to a community with high unemployment, and has pegged her financial future on Veterans' Affairs reconsidering a claim that they've already denied, and plans to sell movie ideas to Netflix. She has few transferable skills and a condition that causes her to be in chronic pain, so her employment prospects are very limited.

She could fix her situation by using the insurance money to pay off her debts if she slashes her spending now, but how do I point her to the right path without telling her that her plans tantamount to magical thinking? Even though we don't have much in common, she's a sweet person, and I don't think that she has anyone else in her life to point her on a less destructive path. What to do?

@Sun Hat  If she is a good friend, I’d just invite her out for a meal to catch up, casually ask about her upcoming plans now that her discharge is imminent, and then show her the math. While her Plan A is to have the VA reconsider her claim, I’d ask her what her Plan B was “just in case” VA denied her claim.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:45:49 PM by Freedomin5 »

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #20674 on: August 19, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »

There is. 

http://www.blackdragonblog.com/2015/01/25/expensive-wedding-higher-odds-divorce/

It is a theory of mine that the correlation exists because the people are married and get along only while the money is flowing.  Once the trips down south, the new cars, trailers, and new iPhone purchases stop because the credit cards are maxed and the line of credit is tapped, the people realize that they don't really enjoy their partner, and were only getting along/having fun with him/her while there was money to burn.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #20675 on: August 20, 2018, 01:37:33 AM »

There is. 

Does the inverse hold true as well? We had a €500,- wedding!

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20676 on: August 20, 2018, 02:43:11 AM »
how do I point her to the right path without telling her that her plans tantamount to magical thinking?
You set your own example, and talk it about enthusiastically. That probably won't work, but it has the best chance of working while not causing a rift between you and her as she gets offended that Netflix isn't going to pay her millions.

USD60k for 2 years followed by USD30k for life without having to work for it is actually pretty good if she lives in a low cost-of-living area. Let's say she lives on 25k,

Yr1: 60k income, 25k spending, debt 40k-->5k
Yr2: 60k income, 25k spending, debt 5k -->0k, savings 0k-->25k.
Yr3 and thereafter, 30k income, 5k spending, savings 25k+5k pa.

That's not huge savings but if she's receiving some sort of disability pension from her military service then she will have zero medical costs, so her savings can be for small investments, hobbies, or travel.

But she almost certainly won't do it. People don't engage in magical thinking for just a year or two out of nowhere and then stop, it's a lifelong practice. Digging further, you'll find similar thinking throughout her life, let me guess: is she also single and dreaming of a 6'4" handsome rich charming educated man who sweeps her off her feet one day? So when I say that you should discuss your own example in a conversational way, that's not in expectation of any positive change on her part as a result, but just so you can get it out of your system.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20677 on: August 20, 2018, 06:59:04 AM »
... but how do I point her to the right path without telling her that her plans tantamount to magical thinking? Even though we don't have much in common, she's a sweet person, and I don't think that she has anyone else in her life to point her on a less destructive path. What to do?
I'm not very good at this, but I've seen others employ this method to great effect:  ask questions.  Don't (outwardly) judge them or say that they're in dreamland.  Ask the questions that will force them to actually think through their future.  Freedomin5 is on the right track--ask what plan B is.  Ask how much it'll cost to live in her new place.  Ask what kind of jobs are available there.  Ask how she sees her life in 5 years.  Ask the "what if" questions.  Ask her what makes her think the VA will reconsider the previously-denied claim.  Ask her what her actual spending is (does she even know?).

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #20678 on: August 20, 2018, 07:20:27 AM »

true, but humans can generally make thier wishes known and can refuse treatment. animals can't.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #20679 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
It is a theory of mine that the correlation exists because the people are married and get along only while the money is flowing.  Once the trips down south, the new cars, trailers, and new iPhone purchases stop because the credit cards are maxed and the line of credit is tapped, the people realize that they don't really enjoy their partner, and were only getting along/having fun with him/her while there was money to burn.
Alternatively, weddings often serve as a way to leverage Sunk Cost Fallacy to keep the investment in a relationship high. The more uncertain you are in your relationship, the more magic you try to throw on it.

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20680 on: August 20, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »
Alternatively, weddings often serve as a way to leverage Sunk Cost Fallacy to keep the investment in a relationship high. The more uncertain you are in your relationship, the more magic you try to throw on it.

This would explain so much about my BILs recent wedding. He was with his family at the hotel the day of the wedding, getting ready with his brothers, and saying how it only has a 50/50 shot anyways.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20681 on: August 20, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »

true, but humans can generally make thier wishes known and can refuse treatment. animals can't.

Are you so sure that humans can refuse treatment? If that really were a thing, then the health insurance data would look drastically different than it does. The % of costs paid in the last year of a persons life is really high. Culturally, at least in the US, we're terrified of death and will do anything not to die. Thus ensuring that we have a horrible death in the end.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20682 on: August 20, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
Or it could be a sign that at least one person in the relationship has unrealistic expectations about marriage. The bride or groom who just has to have their perfect dream day may also be expecting similar dream-like perfection in their married life. And/or they may see the wedding as their ultimate "finish line", and haven't thought much about the rest of their life after that.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #20683 on: August 20, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »

Are you so sure that humans can refuse treatment? If that really were a thing, then the health insurance data would look drastically different than it does. The % of costs paid in the last year of a persons life is really high. Culturally, at least in the US, we're terrified of death and will do anything not to die. Thus ensuring that we have a horrible death in the end.

We were on the periphery watching this, but my husband's family had a pastor who was with their congregation for years and became good friends. They had moved to other ministry pursuits at a different congregation, but kept in touch some. He was diagnosed with a very aggressive and advanced bladder cancer, and his prognosis for treatment and quality-of-life even if treatment was successful was pretty bleak. He turned down treatment (after lots of prayer and consulting with his wife of course). Not sure if he had to state some religious reason, but it sounded pretty much like "Nope, don't wanna" and the doctors said "well, we can't make you, so ok" and they just tried for quality of life while letting the cancer run its course.

It was a pretty sad story all around, until you considered how much he affected other's lives. The church was packed for his memorial service.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20684 on: August 20, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
Or it could be a sign that at least one person in the relationship has unrealistic expectations about marriage. The bride or groom who just has to have their perfect dream day may also be expecting similar dream-like perfection in their married life. And/or they may see the wedding as their ultimate "finish line", and haven't thought much about the rest of their life after that.

Or, a couple whose wedding was very elaborate and expensive goes into married life with deficits of both patience and money.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20685 on: August 20, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »

The pressure to continue treatment when it's obviously futile is, from what I hear from medical friends, less often from the patient and more often from the family and medical professionals. Likewise pressure for voluntary euthanasia.

In some respects it's easier for us to bear our own suffering than watch a loved one or patient go through suffering. Live or die, we want to see their suffering end. 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20686 on: August 20, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
The pressure to continue treatment when it's obviously futile is, from what I hear from medical friends, less often from the patient and more often from the family and medical professionals. Likewise pressure for voluntary euthanasia.

This is slightly foamy, but I really do recommend listening to this podcast on a related subject:

https://tim.blog/2016/04/14/bj-miller/

The interviewee has drawn conclusions about "quality of life" vs "quantity of life" after a carrer in hospice care.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20687 on: August 21, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »

As others have said, the short answer is yes, we can.  My grandmother refused treatment that could have extended her life when she was diagnosed with cancer.  She went with an in-home nursing service and enough morphine to ease her last few months, and no one tried to pressure her otherwise.  It actually wound up being a better choice, as it was a much more peaceful end than going through aggressive treatment, plus the end was predictable enough that all of her children were able to be there with her, which they almost certainly could not have done if it had stretched out months or years.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20688 on: August 21, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »

As others have said, the short answer is yes, we can.  My grandmother refused treatment that could have extended her life when she was diagnosed with cancer.  She went with an in-home nursing service and enough morphine to ease her last few months, and no one tried to pressure her otherwise.  It actually wound up being a better choice, as it was a much more peaceful end than going through aggressive treatment, plus the end was predictable enough that all of her children were able to be there with her, which they almost certainly could not have done if it had stretched out months or years.

Yes, it is a pity that so many people still get "life enhancing" treatment when all they get are a few weeks of incredible pain or month of total mental oblivion.

Writer Terry Pratchett is famous for being a loud spoken defenders of Orang-Utans and assisted suicide for the terminally sick (he had one strange form of Alzheimers himself, but in the end died "unsupported" on it).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett%3A_Choosing_to_Die

In one of his books he writes about a lot of assorted stuff of his life and also about a few confessions of Nurses who (illegally) did such things for the suffering and how much better it would be for everyone if there were orgenized rules for those who want to die.
You can find a lot of that in his witches.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/terry-pratchett-choosing-to-die/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:18:55 AM by LennStar »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20689 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »

Yes, you can refuse treatment, it's your body. Doctors need your consent to give you any kind of treatment. Sometimes they will push you in what they think is the "right direction" though.

I know, because I am currently choosing a certain treatment for a condition that my doctor describes as sub-optimal. I have chosen a less agressive treatment because it gives me a very high quality of life. I could get a more agressive treatment, but whether I'd end up better or worse than right now would be 50/50. As I'm very happy with my current quality of life, I see no point in going through more agressive treatment. My doctor is always talking about how much quality I could gain, but to me, what I could lose is much more important.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20690 on: August 21, 2018, 11:20:42 AM »

I assume he was referring to some kind of sport mode.  Not familiar with the Alfa but most higher end vehicles have semi active or active dampers with tunes that can completely change the character of the vehicle.
Apparently the dynamic mode on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio makes a very noticeable difference and makes it the best handling SUV ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwaAfpo9cvs&t=16m15s

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20691 on: August 21, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
Coworker totaled their vehicle (directly related to stress due to spendy pants ridiculous life choices *not alcohol*) and went out new vehicle shopping the other day. "subarus are so basic"

Other coworker, upon getting off work.  "there's a $5 jewelry sale in the lobby!"  *runs off*

Neither of my coworkers are ever going to retire.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20692 on: August 22, 2018, 01:57:06 PM »
... but how do I point her to the right path without telling her that her plans tantamount to magical thinking? Even though we don't have much in common, she's a sweet person, and I don't think that she has anyone else in her life to point her on a less destructive path. What to do?
I'm not very good at this, but I've seen others employ this method to great effect:  ask questions.  Don't (outwardly) judge them or say that they're in dreamland.  Ask the questions that will force them to actually think through their future.  Freedomin5 is on the right track--ask what plan B is.  Ask how much it'll cost to live in her new place.  Ask what kind of jobs are available there.  Ask how she sees her life in 5 years.  Ask the "what if" questions.  Ask her what makes her think the VA will reconsider the previously-denied claim.  Ask her what her actual spending is (does she even know?).

This is what I do.  It allows you to keep the relationship and also try to point out flaws in the plan without being a Debbie Downer or Too Serious or You Don't Have Faith In Me, Don't You Want Me To Succeed person.  I put on the mindset of genuinely curious, thinking they must have info they're not sharing that would make this harebrained idea actually work, and I'll just ask eager questions until we get there.  Usually the other person says "i don't know" a few times or talks themselves into a corner and changes the subject.  This works for MLM idea, house rehabbing ideas from a SIL and her bf that have very little experience (oh, that may have gotten specific...), people telling me about onions on their kid's feet will remove heavy metals from their bodies (that's actually happened), and Coworkers who just don't get it.  The main objective is to keep your tone light, conversational, enthused, interested, etc.  Don't get pointed, don't get judgey sounding, keep it very conversational and play 20 questions until the other person gives up. 

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #20693 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
Conversation with a coworker (age: 50) just now:

Him: "You're a lake person, you'll appreciate this. We got one of those mailer things this weekend advertising lots for sale on Lake X (about an hour away from us."

Me: "Oh yeah cool, I get those all the time:

Him: "Yeah so wife and I talked about it and we are going to go up and see it this weekend, and as long as we like it, we are going for it. We will be the proud owners of 7 acres of lakefront property!!"

Me: "Wow 7 acres, that's a lot. No house or dock on it?"

Him: "No just the lot, but we can build a house on it later. We talked about it and I think it makes the most sense to just cash out my 401k to pay for this instead of financing it."

Me: "............................................................ the whole thing?"

Him: "Yeah but I figure I can just max my contributions for the next few years and catch back up tax free!"

Me: "........................................................................................"

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20694 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
Conversation with a coworker (age: 50) just now:

Him: "You're a lake person, you'll appreciate this. We got one of those mailer things this weekend advertising lots for sale on Lake X (about an hour away from us."

Me: "Oh yeah cool, I get those all the time:

Him: "Yeah so wife and I talked about it and we are going to go up and see it this weekend, and as long as we like it, we are going for it. We will be the proud owners of 7 acres of lakefront property!!"

Me: "Wow 7 acres, that's a lot. No house or dock on it?"

Him: "No just the lot, but we can build a house on it later. We talked about it and I think it makes the most sense to just cash out my 401k to pay for this instead of financing it."

Me: "............................................................ the whole thing?"

Him: "Yeah but I figure I can just max my contributions for the next few years and catch back up tax free!"

Me: "........................................................................................"

It's the perfect plan! Cash out the 401k, use the next* several years to catch up, then cash out again to build the lake house!

/s

*Obviously they won't be able to max it out next year, because they'll be paying taxes on the 401k withdrawal, but after that, it's a great plan!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20695 on: August 23, 2018, 08:51:42 AM »
Him: "We talked about it and I think it makes the most sense to just cash out my 401k to pay for this instead of financing it."

boarder42 would short circuit. That's a terrible plan!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20696 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
Uhhhh..... how much do the lots cost?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20697 on: August 23, 2018, 08:43:37 PM »
What does one do with an undeveloped lakefront lot? Camp?

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20698 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
Patient chatting with guests mentions tactics to hide receipts from the Pawn Shop from a family member who is handling her errands on her behalf while in the hospital. Patient is over 60 years old and I’m kinda thrown mentally by this- but hey, maybe they've hit hard times or something. Then patient shares one of the guests is their best friend and how much they LOVE-TO-SHOP and do so every week.

@_@

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20699 on: August 23, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
What does one do with an undeveloped lakefront lot? Camp?

Camp, tiny house, or, ya know develop it

or just hope for land appreciation

I'd love an undeveloped lakefront lot, but I'm not gonna cash out my 401k for one