Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253338 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20400 on: July 10, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

One time I only bought herbes de provence and a lemon from Whole Foods and the cashier acted like I broke the sacred covenant of things you are allowed to buy.  "Wow, how could you only buy this????"  I still do not understand why he was so pissed...

Weird. You still probably spent around $10, right?

I handed over my wallet and said, "please leave some for the children :'("

Anyone know where I can get good/cheap herbes de provence?  The one at Whole Foods is only OK, too much rosemary.  They stopped carrying it at Trader Joes.  I have considered making it, but I don't want to keep all of the herbs that I would not use that often.

We buy ours from Penzey’s.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20401 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »
I'm also an intellectual. In fact, my favorite movies are zombie movies."

But ... wha.... but... *facepalm*

I'm an academic. That makes me kind of an intellectual, right? Also like zombie movies. Of course, I don't go around proclaiming that I'm an intellectual. I do go around proclaiming that I like zombie movies.

I just love that this individual dropped that after talking about how gold was the only investment to make. Like he clearly felt a zombie apocalypse would be coming, and somehow him and his gold would survive it...but only because of the gold.

No, my understanding is that he and his paper contracts for gold that he did not actually get to hold in his hands would attempt to survive the zombies... Kind of like bitcoin to me.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #20402 on: July 10, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
I'm also an intellectual. In fact, my favorite movies are zombie movies."

But ... wha.... but... *facepalm*

I'm an academic. That makes me kind of an intellectual, right? Also like zombie movies. Of course, I don't go around proclaiming that I'm an intellectual. I do go around proclaiming that I like zombie movies.

I just love that this individual dropped that after talking about how gold was the only investment to make. Like he clearly felt a zombie apocalypse would be coming, and somehow him and his gold would survive it...but only because of the gold.

No, my understanding is that he and his paper contracts for gold that he did not actually get to hold in his hands would attempt to survive the zombies... Kind of like bitcoin to me.

I suppose he thought the paper contracts would make their brains explode?

Haha, bitcoin. I call it $#!!COIN

sapphail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20403 on: July 11, 2018, 04:53:42 AM »
(sic: paper contracts for gold that don't generate income in any way, and do not lead to the actual owning of any gold either, for those who might believe this malarkey)

Is he talking about gold ETFs? I'm kind of surprised though, most goldbugs want the shiny stuff close on hand.

Although that said, my SO knows a goldbug who spends every spare cent on the stuff in preparation for a global financial collapse... and keeps it all in Malaysia. Where he won't be able to get at it in a hurry if everything did go to poop.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20404 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:33 AM »
Why wouldn't these end of the world types want their gold coins right next to their ammo and bug out bag? Alot of good paper promises will do a person fleeing a zombie attack. ;)

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #20405 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
Today CW advised me he is buying fishing kayak for $4k. I made the mistake of being slightly excited. Oh I have a canoe its lots of fun I didn't know you did that sort of stuff? CW proceeds to tell me how he has never fished or boated really before, none of his friends do but he really likes the idea of this so he is going to try it out. The only reason he doesn't do it is because he doesn't own all the stuff. At this point it sunk in how much he was spending and I mentioned it might be prudent to rent a kayak first before he drops $4k on one. The rebuttal was this is a really great deal as its normally over $5k and he does not want to miss out. - Sadly I used to be able to relate to this kind of thinking. Now I just think SHIT his boat that needs a paddle costs more than my car.

Update:

Me: How's the new fishing Kayak working out?
CW: oh ya I am not sure it is my thing. The boat is really wobbly and because it is a kayak it is really narrow so its hard to move around at all unlike a full sized boat.
Me: Are you going to sell it then?
CW: Seriously? I just bought it. My wife would kill me if I sold it already.
Me: won't she notice you are not using it?
CW: No I stored it at my friends cabin so we can just watch tv and drink beer and she won't know.
Me: That sounds like quite the elaborate plan.
CW: it is not like I won't ever use it again so technically I just say I am going out to the lake and it is all good.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20406 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
Today CW advised me he is buying fishing kayak for $4k. I made the mistake of being slightly excited. Oh I have a canoe its lots of fun I didn't know you did that sort of stuff? CW proceeds to tell me how he has never fished or boated really before, none of his friends do but he really likes the idea of this so he is going to try it out. The only reason he doesn't do it is because he doesn't own all the stuff. At this point it sunk in how much he was spending and I mentioned it might be prudent to rent a kayak first before he drops $4k on one. The rebuttal was this is a really great deal as its normally over $5k and he does not want to miss out. - Sadly I used to be able to relate to this kind of thinking. Now I just think SHIT his boat that needs a paddle costs more than my car.

Update:

CW: oh ya I am not sure it is my thing. The boat is really wobbly and because it is a kayak it is really narrow so its hard to move around at all unlike a full sized boat.
CW: No I stored it at my friends cabin so we can just watch tv and drink beer and she won't know.
CW: it is not like I won't ever use it again so technically I just say I am going out to the lake and it is all good.
So I guess the kayak needs to sit at the cabin just in case the wife decides to visit? Otherwise, it seems like the obvious thing to do would be to sell the kayak for beer money!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #20407 on: July 11, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Anyone know where I can get good/cheap herbes de provence?  The one at Whole Foods is only OK, too much rosemary.  They stopped carrying it at Trader Joes.  I have considered making it, but I don't want to keep all of the herbs that I would not use that often.

You can buy bulk spices at the WF near me, otherwise you could find a local co-op with a bulk spices section. Bring your own measuring spoons and the online recipe, buy exactly the amount of each herb you need, and mix it at home. (For added Mustachianism, bring your own jars from home rather than use the provided plastic baggies.)

I loved all of the suggestions, but this is my favorite!  At the local co-ops they will tare your containers, great idea.  @TheGrimSqueaker I also love the idea of growing and selling the excess, definitely something I will pursue in the future when I am not so time-poor.

Update:

Sounds like the plot to Brokeback Mountain... you better warn him to check the kayak for notes from his wife ;P

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #20408 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
This seemed like the most appropriate thread to post this. Not where I work, but I worked in twin cities area as a CPA and know people at this firm and others like it: http://www.startribune.com/former-partner-in-minneapolis-accounting-firm-loses-millions-in-noncompete-dispute/487546901/

Retired/bought out CPA firm partner violated non-compete and loses his $90k/month in retirement. I think there is some prestige involved with a job like this that make it hard to step away. The small firm I worked at had a couple partners bought when they turned 60 while I was there. One billed more hours in the year after buyout than the prior year.

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20409 on: July 11, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
I am loving this thread! I sit by a few guys who should prove to be a steady source of material.

Coworker: "My wife doesn't usually get me anything for my birthday because we don't have enough money left over."

... 4 minutes later ...

Coworker: "Yeah, when my wife goes to Wal-Mart for groceries, she always spends over $700 on food."

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20410 on: July 11, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
This seemed like the most appropriate thread to post this. Not where I work, but I worked in twin cities area as a CPA and know people at this firm and others like it: http://www.startribune.com/former-partner-in-minneapolis-accounting-firm-loses-millions-in-noncompete-dispute/487546901/

Retired/bought out CPA firm partner violated non-compete and loses his $90k/month in retirement. I think there is some prestige involved with a job like this that make it hard to step away. The small firm I worked at had a couple partners bought when they turned 60 while I was there. One billed more hours in the year after buyout than the prior year.

Non-compete agreements are funny things. I knew a fellow (now deceased) who operated a tourist destination type store in Las Vegas, NV where he manufactured and sold widgets. To expand the business, he took on what was supposed to be a silent partner, but the partner was doing some things with the store my buddy didn't approve of. Eventually my buddy was effectively forced out, with only a small fraction of the business and the inventory, *and* the partner had the business and service mark rights to my buddy's name. So my buddy was a defeated shell of a man at that time. I couldn't stand seeing him that way, but in his mind he was in a bind because of the agreement he'd signed. Because of a bad partnership decision, he was losing control of a business he'd built from the ground up and that employed many people who over the years had become his friends.

"Did the contract have a non-compete clause?" I asked him. We were hanging out in a restaurant, and I'd brought along my parents and a girlfriend. Oddly, despite his years of entrepreneurial experience, my buddy hadn't run across the non-compete concept and didn't know what it was. My dad and I explained that it limited his business options in the same line of work, within a specific time frame and within a specific distance.

"You could open up John Doe's* flower shop next door," I said, "and nobody would care because people who come to town looking for widgets aren't the same customer base. Or, maybe you could open up a widget shop in a different county or five years down the line. In the meantime, the non-compete clause is supposed to give the other guy a chance to build up his business without interference from the former owner."

I suggested that, since his former partner had been such a dick, it would be awesome if he opened up the same kind of business he had before, only bigger, with a different name obviously, right across the street from the first one. But only if he didn't have a non-compete agreement.

"You've taken out a business license before. You've leased real estate. You've got the people, some inventory, and the contacts. Also, I'm reasonably sure that there is not a piano tied to your ass." A light came into my buddy's eyes and he sat up straighter. By the time we all left the restaurant, he'd resolved to check the contract and then fight back.

My father and I continued helping my buddy refine his battle plan while my mom daydreamed and my girlfriend enjoyed a strongly mixed beverage. (The ladies did not converse. Having met recently, they cordially hated each other. It's ironic because both are women of extreme refinement, intelligence, and taste.)

"Call the new store 'Widget Overlord of Las Vegas'," I said. "Technically you'll still be naming it after yourself... what? You've been a big name in widgets here for years. If someone asks: 'who is the widget overlord of Las Vegas', what name comes to mind? Someone else's? No. That's you. So name your new store 'Widget Overlord of Las Vegas' and get around the fact they own the rights to your own name. Henry Ford learned to live with it. So can you. You sold your name, not your balls."

It turned out that there was indeed no non-compete clause in the contract because both sides decided to cheap out and write it themselves, but neither had the demonic experience or legal training (possibly the same thing) to foresee the need for such an aspect of the agreement.

And so it happened that the Widget Overlord of Las Vegas opened a competing shop, stole back most of his former customers, and lived more or less happily the rest of his days. His former partner's business became a laughingstock and then collapsed. I wish I could say I got a free widget out of the deal but it didn't occur to me to ask. Looking back, I probably should have.

* not his real name
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:17:27 PM by TheGrimSqueaker »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20411 on: July 11, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
Nice story!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #20412 on: July 11, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »
You sold your name, not your balls."

I <3 you.

AccountingForLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20413 on: July 11, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
Unable to pay suppliers because the money was already spent on unnecessary expenses and ownership draws. Suppliers shut down business. Management complains that suppliers are being unfair.

Manipulating employees when responding to suppliers' requests for payment. You can only tell them a customer hasn't paid us so many times (which is a lie) before they figure out that the company is dry.

Spending millions on rent per year and not utilizing all of the space. Not even close to utilizing all of the space!

Spending millions on litigation because a tenant backed out of their lease due to the company not providing what they said they would. Surprise - litigation ends with nothing in return.

Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on a consultant who does absolutely nothing for the company. Owner says he helps answer e-mails and phone calls that he otherwise could not get to.

Working out of poorly maintained buildings that haven't been cleaned in years. Wiring hanging down from ceiling, missing ceiling tiles, water leaks, rusty sinks. Employees get sick probably once a week. Then paying hundreds per month to clean HQ, but satellite buildings go uncleaned. Refusing to hire cleaning services in satellite offices.

Refusing to fix IT issues in a timely fashion. Our sales manager has been without access to his sales program for several weeks now. A rep just got a new computer, but the owner is refusing to grant access to the software on his new machine, for reasons unknown.

Not using a budget or cash flow forecast of any kind. Ignoring advice from professionals and shooting from the hip when it comes to company finances.

Refusing to pay taxes on time.

Using passive-aggressiveness anytime legitimate issues are brought up.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:15:25 PM by AccountingForLife »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20414 on: July 12, 2018, 12:25:50 AM »
Accounting for Life: Run away, run away. What a car crash.

RocksRock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20415 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »
renovate a garage?  What am I missing?  I've never heard of anyone renovating a garage.
Typically (but not always) done because either the foundation has cracked, or the roof has sprung a leak.

That seems very practical.

I've seen it done so people can put in a loft; or put in super fancy flooring and storage systems.

They live in a row of flats, and the row of flats has a row of free-standing garages. And yes, the foundation is probably not the best and the exterior is rotting. Latest is that they will actually keep the storage space three years, not two, since they are expecting the whole row of garages to be torn down and rebuilt. So that's $4000 for keeping stuff of essentially no value..

I'd also walk. Or bike. Or anything else than driving. Could have helped them with the excess weight also for sure.. But it takes tiiiime compared to driving.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #20416 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »
Update:

Sounds like the plot to Brokeback Mountain... you better warn him to check the kayak for notes from his wife ;P

hahaha my sides actually hurt right now.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20417 on: July 12, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
What a great story, GrimSqueaker!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20418 on: July 12, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
This is one of my favorite stories on here.  Great logic!   I thought it was bad when I bought a $225 kayak and probably only used it 6 times.  I recently sold for $150. 

Update:

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20419 on: July 13, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »
There is a gentleman that is in the office next to me and rumor has spread that he will be leaving in December, and not to a new job.  He looks to me to be in his 50s, maybe early 50s.  I of course think this is an awesome sign of FIRE but am not sure because he is a very private guy. 

Most of my other coworkers are completely baffled by this.  I have heard that some of them even made fun of him when he started working here because he brings his lunch everyday and uses washable dishes to eat his lunch. 

I am dying to ask him if he is retiring early and give him a huge congrats but he is so private that I am pretty sure that would be too much for him.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20420 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
There is a gentleman that is in the office next to me and rumor has spread that he will be leaving in December, and not to a new job.  He looks to me to be in his 50s, maybe early 50s.  I of course think this is an awesome sign of FIRE but am not sure because he is a very private guy. 

Most of my other coworkers are completely baffled by this.  I have heard that some of them even made fun of him when he started working here because he brings his lunch everyday and uses washable dishes to eat his lunch. 

I am dying to ask him if he is retiring early and give him a huge congrats but he is so private that I am pretty sure that would be too much for him.   
What've you got to lose?  I'd *love* to hear if he's secretly built up a stache.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20421 on: July 13, 2018, 11:16:05 AM »

What've you got to lose?  I'd *love* to hear if he's secretly built up a stache.

His manager confirmed that he was retiring today during lunch, the speculation is that he is 57 (I think he looks closer to 50).  I believe his manager is older than him, managers statement was "Yes ___ is retiring at the end of the year, some people save money better than others".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:17:53 AM by Slow&Steady »

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #20422 on: July 13, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »

His manager confirmed that he was retiring today during lunch, the speculation is that he is 57 (I think he looks closer to 50).  I believe his manager is older than him, managers statement was "Yes ___ is retiring at the end of the year, some people save money better than others".

Here is your script:

Slow&Steady: "Hello Co-worker X, congratulations on your retirement.  BTW, what is your mustache code-name?"
Co-Worker X: Either
A.) Puzzled look, scurries away without response.
or
B.) "I'm so glad you asked, my MMM forum handle is SuperSecretStealthMustachedNinja." And you have a new friend for life!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #20423 on: July 13, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
Here is your script:

Slow&Steady: "Hello Co-worker X, congratulations on your retirement.  BTW, what is your mustache code-name?"
Co-Worker X: Either
A.) Puzzled look, scurries away without response.
or
B.) "I'm so glad you asked, my MMM forum handle is SuperSecretStealthMustachedNinja." And you have a new friend for life!

Oh man, we had some funny stories like that at our recent Bellingham/Vancouver/Vancouver Island camping trip. Tons of people brought their friends or family members who knew nothing about the group. Plenty of that conversation happened, going both ways. And then there was "Okay, group photo, quickly, do the cult signal!". It was hilarious.

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20424 on: July 13, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
I just started working for the federal government. Co worker who has been with the agency for 40 years, and is in his 70s, a gs12,  has only $15k in the TSP. Has a spouse at home who used to make 170k before becoming disabled, now gets 13k per year in disability. They refinanced their home less than 10 years ago to get the equity out, for a reason the co worker hasn’t  shared,  and still owe $220k. They won’t move, and they can’t afford the mortgage with just disability, the husbands federal pension and ssi, so the husband still works.

SnowWhite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20425 on: July 13, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
My workmate had just spent close to $400 on her daughter’s Irish dancing classes, (had to pay for the 10 classes upfront); and also paid $1000 for her daughter’s dance costume for her end of year Irish dancing recital…

What made it even worse was that after her second dance lesson, her daughter decided that she did not like the classes and did not want to attend them anymore.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20426 on: July 14, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
My workmate had just spent close to $400 on her daughter’s Irish dancing classes, (had to pay for the 10 classes upfront); and also paid $1000 for her daughter’s dance costume for her end of year Irish dancing recital…

What made it even worse was that after her second dance lesson, her daughter decided that she did not like the classes and did not want to attend them anymore.

Former Feis Mom here.  I don't think much of that school.   Beginners usually rent school dresses from the school for recitals, or wear a simple skirt and blouse.   Plus usually a beginner can try a class or two for free, just to see if they really do like it. 

On the other hand, paying for a season of lessons is standard in just about any activity.  The fixed costs don't change just because little Fiona decides to not go that week.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #20427 on: July 14, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »

Former Feis Mom here.  I don't think much of that school.   Beginners usually rent school dresses from the school for recitals, or wear a simple skirt and blouse.   Plus usually a beginner can try a class or two for free, just to see if they really do like it. 

On the other hand, paying for a season of lessons is standard in just about any activity.  The fixed costs don't change just because little Fiona decides to not go that week.

When I taught music, I got a month's worth of lesson fees in advance, less any vacations scheduled in advance. The time is still blocked out and cannot easily be sold to another student. Even in a class situation where there are multiple students, there are a maximum number that can be accommodated before the quality of the service starts to deteriorate. I once did try a cafeteria style "pay as you go" approach but it ended up losing me money so I dropped it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20428 on: July 14, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
My wife keeps in touch with former coworkers wife (I don’t cause I’m antisocial)

We got some baby clothes somewhere reasonably priced but not even used.  apparently the ex-coworker wife scoffed “oh you buy clothes THERE?  But it’s not ORGANIC!”

Bitch, your new Audi ain’t organic either

Rant over

Edit: to be honest I don’t know what organic clothes are, and am already grumpy about the term because it’s super nonspecific and dumb
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:48:01 PM by dragoncar »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20429 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »
My wife keeps in touch with former coworkers wife (I don’t cause I’m antisocial)

We got some baby clothes somewhere reasonably priced but not even used.  apparently the ex-coworker wife scoffed “oh you buy clothes THERE?  But it’s not ORGANIC!”

Rant over

Edit: to be honest I don’t know what organic clothes are, and am already grumpy about the term because it’s super nonspecific and dumb

Organic clothing means made with material (typically cotton) grown using USDA Organic criteria.

The problem, though, is twofold: (1) clothing doesn't have to be 100% organically grown to be labelled organic, and (2) cotton is an energy and water intensive crop. This makes organic clothing a particularly meaningless virtue symbol.

"Organic", to me, is like "modern". You have to know the context to know whether someone is talking about the past year, past century or past 100,000 years. And people often don't know enough about what they're saying to provide that context.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20430 on: July 14, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »

Rant over

Organic clothing means made with material (typically cotton) grown using USDA Organic criteria.

The problem, though, is twofold: (1) clothing doesn't have to be 100% organically grown to be labelled organic, and (2) cotton is an energy and water intensive crop. This makes organic clothing a particularly meaningless virtue symbol.

"Organic", to me, is like "modern". You have to know the context to know whether someone is talking about the past year, past century or past 100,000 years. And people often don't know enough about what they're saying to provide that context.

What's better?  Hemp?  Synthetic fibers?  Synthetically grown cotton?  Organically grown rayon?  Used clothing from goodwill?

Just kidding, of course, I know babies should be kept in my marsupial pouch to avoid clothing alltogether

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20431 on: July 14, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »

HAHAHAHA!!!  What an awesome line!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20432 on: July 15, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
Why wouldn't these end of the world types want their gold coins right next to their ammo and bug out bag? Alot of good paper promises will do a person fleeing a zombie attack. ;)

The reason is because the gold nuts are normally the same nuts that think that The End is Night and that THE GOVERNMENT will come and take away all they have the moment they are no longer allowed to buy an automatic assault rifle in the store next door.

You can easily recognize that type. Just ask them what their assault rifle would do against a tank, if the government really comes after them. If they tell you you are an idiot, you have found one. (oh oops, that wasn't intentional lol)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20433 on: July 15, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

HAHAHAHA!!!  What an awesome line!

Yep. Definitely the line of the day!

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #20434 on: July 15, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
A manager at work - age early 40s, good salary, goes out socialising 3 or 4 nights per week. Always buys lunch and takeaway coffees. Never has any money left at end of month, not contributing to company pension to match employers contribution.

She starts talking about her house and the housemates sharing. I always assumed she was the home-owner - no, shes a fellow tenant. I know she has about 90k in savings. Talk about a financial trainwreck.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #20435 on: July 16, 2018, 06:39:22 AM »
A manager at work - age early 40s, good salary, goes out socialising 3 or 4 nights per week. Always buys lunch and takeaway coffees. Never has any money left at end of month, not contributing to company pension to match employers contribution.

She starts talking about her house and the housemates sharing. I always assumed she was the home-owner - no, shes a fellow tenant. I know she has about 90k in savings. Talk about a financial trainwreck.
If she has no money at the end of month, how does she have 90k in savings?

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20436 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »
I have a coworker (A) who always wears really high heels, particularly this black leather strappy pair. I always notice when she wears them because I think to myself that my knees would start hurting after about 5 minutes. A few weeks ago another coworker (B) said something along the lines of "how could you wear those all day" and I piped up that she wears them all the time, and I'm super impressed that she's able to walk around like that all day.

Well, Coworker A came into the office the next day and said her husband is going to be very mad at me. Apparently she fixated on what I said and came to the conclusion that she wears that black pair of heels too much so she intended to buy 2 new pairs of shoes and ended up buying 6. Then she needed 2 new outfits to go with 2 of the pairs of shoes.

Last week she said I started her down a bad spiral because over the weekend she went shopping and bought over $1000 of clothes, and now a few outfits need new shoes. Her husband still has no idea she bought any of it because she put it all on her private credit card and hid it all in the back of the closet. Now she says that her husband got a promotion at work and told her over the weekend that when his first new paycheck comes in he wants her to take $1000 and go shopping with it. Instead of telling him she already did, she plans to take the money and spend another $1000. Goodness.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20437 on: July 16, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
I have a coworker (A) who always wears really high heels, particularly this black leather strappy pair. I always notice when she wears them because I think to myself that my knees would start hurting after about 5 minutes. A few weeks ago another coworker (B) said something along the lines of "how could you wear those all day" and I piped up that she wears them all the time, and I'm super impressed that she's able to walk around like that all day.

Well, Coworker A came into the office the next day and said her husband is going to be very mad at me. Apparently she fixated on what I said and came to the conclusion that she wears that black pair of heels too much so she intended to buy 2 new pairs of shoes and ended up buying 6. Then she needed 2 new outfits to go with 2 of the pairs of shoes.

Last week she said I started her down a bad spiral because over the weekend she went shopping and bought over $1000 of clothes, and now a few outfits need new shoes. Her husband still has no idea she bought any of it because she put it all on her private credit card and hid it all in the back of the closet. Now she says that her husband got a promotion at work and told her over the weekend that when his first new paycheck comes in he wants her to take $1000 and go shopping with it. Instead of telling him she already did, she plans to take the money and spend another $1000. Goodness.

OMG this made me cringe so hard.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20438 on: July 16, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

Me too! I told her that my husband has to almost force me to buy new clothes, and he recently pointed out that I need new underwear because mine are starting to fray, but I'm just going to stick it out because they are still doing their job.

Also, I couldn't hide new purchases in my closet because it is sparse enough that any new additions would be very visible (and I feel like I have more than enough clothing right now - I'm definitely not deprived).

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20439 on: July 16, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »
I was just speaking with a coworker about retirement plans, and referenced our deferred comp. He's been here 10 years and had no clue what I was talking about. Like, even after I described it, insisted he had never heard of such a thing. Dude's in his 40s and should probably get on board quick! When I encouraged him to look into it ("It's pre tax! You won't even miss the money!"), he was all, "Nah" and walked away shaking his head.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20440 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

Me too! I told her that my husband has to almost force me to buy new clothes, and he recently pointed out that I need new underwear because mine are starting to fray, but I'm just going to stick it out because they are still doing their job.

Also, I couldn't hide new purchases in my closet because it is sparse enough that any new additions would be very visible (and I feel like I have more than enough clothing right now - I'm definitely not deprived).
Ah ha ha.  I was trying to figure out why my foot felt weird/ sticky this morning, while dropping off kids at school/camp.  Get to work and...massive hole in the heel of one sock.  So I feel ya.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20441 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »

The most head scratching part of this, to me, is that somehow this is YOUR fault.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20442 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
The most head scratching part of this, to me, is that somehow this is YOUR fault.

I know! I actually apologized to her and let her know that I wasn't making a disparaging comment at all, since she obviously really took it to heart. Now that I'm thinking about it, who knows what she thinks of me and my shoes - for the past year I only had 2 pairs that I wore at work, and now I only have 3.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20443 on: July 16, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »

The reason is because the gold nuts are normally the same nuts that think that The End is Night and that THE GOVERNMENT will come and take away all they have the moment they are no longer allowed to buy an automatic assault rifle in the store next door.

You can easily recognize that type. Just ask them what their assault rifle would do against a tank, if the government really comes after them. If they tell you you are an idiot, you have found one. (oh oops, that wasn't intentional lol)

I always remind the anti-gov't gun enthusiasts of Waco and Ruby Ridge. If the gov't wants a person, the gov't is going to get them. A 30-06 hunting rifle or AR-15 vs Special Forces? Vs a tank like you said. Vs a drone attack?

The gov't will always win sooner or later - even if they just have to lay siege to the family "compound". The hothead will get hungry eventually.

Of course Trump might pardon them thus rendering it all moot... ;)

SynestheticSymphony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20444 on: July 16, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
CW1: "CW2, I did something stupid yesterday."

CW2: "What?"

CW1: "I bought $70 worth of comic books."

CW2: "I wish I had $70 to spend on comic books."

I held my tongue, but I sure wanted to butt in with "I have $70 to spend on comic books because I don't go and spend $70 on comic books!"

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #20445 on: July 16, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
I held my tongue, but I sure wanted to butt in with "I have $70 to spend on comic books because I don't go and spend $70 on comic books!"

I love this line because you burn both of them at the same time. Very efficient.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20446 on: July 16, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »

One hasn't been able to buy an automatic rifle for over 30 years, FYI.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20447 on: July 16, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »

Not from a Jedi

reeshau

• Handlebar Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #20448 on: July 17, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

I always remind the anti-gov't gun enthusiasts of Waco and Ruby Ridge. If the gov't wants a person, the gov't is going to get them. A 30-06 hunting rifle or AR-15 vs Special Forces? Vs a tank like you said. Vs a drone attack?

The gov't will always win sooner or later - even if they just have to lay siege to the family "compound". The hothead will get hungry eventually.

Of course Trump might pardon them thus rendering it all moot... ;)

"The flamethrower. Because we have them. Well, *we* don't have them, the army has them. That's right. We don't have any flamethrowers. I'd say we're f***ed if we have to go up against the army, wouldn't you?" - George Carlin

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20449 on: July 17, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »

And your point is?

I didn't write about what you can or cannot, I wrote about a mindset.

And btw. why do I read that you can buy them in (some) US states again and again?
google

Well, this guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about and he says you can.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-for-a-normal-citizen-to-buy-a-military-grade-fully-automatic-assault-rifle-in-the-US

The only point is that gun must be older then 1986, which is maybe where your 30 years are coming from?