Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 7642553 times)

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19950 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

I do the same, but then I convert it to how long I'd have to work to save up that amount.  For example cable, what do people pay nowadays for cable?  $80/month?  80*12*25 = $24,000.  If my savings rate is $2k/month, am I willing to work an extra year of my short life JUST to have cable?  Definitely not, but sometimes the cost of something in perpetuity is less than I'd expect, and I'll go 'I'll work 2 months to have that forever'.  Also with a really high savings rate (more than 2k/mo), the time to save for something forever is often not actually that long, so I have to be careful to avoid lifestyle creep.

If you aren't right at FIRE you need to tack on that many years to your 25.  Eg if you're 5 years away, multiply by 30 (25+5).  You've got to pay for it now while you're working while saving up for having it in FIRE.

Hmm, that's a good point, didn't think about that.  It's not just delaying FIRE by $24k.  If I weren't paying 80/mo for cable right now I could save that much more, accelerating FIRE, so it's even worse!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19951 on: March 09, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing Iím paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over itís expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

Yeah I agree with dragon car on this... it can lead to some crazy thinking.

I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Cali

• Stubble
Overheard at Work
« Reply #19952 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
You'd think it was a Ferrari the way she bragged about it. I couldn't believe anyone who drove 60 miles+ daily would buy a car that got 15mpg , 20mpg if she was lucky.

Which Taurus gets that bad of fuel economy? I'm seeing numbers ranging from 20/29 to 16/24 mpg (city/hwy). The latter is the turbocharged six-cylinder model with AWD.

I can’t say because I never looked it up but likely the latter. It was just something else she complained about when she started the “I’ll never be able to retire” rant. Apparently it got okay milleage on a normal road but on the way to and from work her 2+ hour commute involved surviving the parking lot that is common for rush hour freeways in Southern California. Along with the car she couldn’t afford was a house in the boondocks she couldn’t afford but bought because everyone else had one. And in the backyard was a horse nobody had been able to ride for 10 years. “She’s like a big dog, I can’t get rid of her!”

I was a saver before we met but I think of her every time I start feeling like I’m getting spendy.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:10:57 PM by Cali »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19953 on: March 09, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Awesome, can I start telling people this when they ask why I don't eat yoghurt?

It can't go over worse than "because I have such an aversion to eating it that my throat feels like it closes".

Also, the homemade yoghurt crowd is coming for you now, @marty998.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19954 on: March 09, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides.

I hope you reported this jackass to his HR department.
If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

I was in an interview... and he's a contract worker I may never see again, so I suppose I don't so much see the point.

And people have to be super racist/sexist for me to be right off the bat labeling it that way. I just knew in that moment that I'd pull out my "Big Girl" voice which is usually something I only do when I get a patient cussing me out or disregarding instructions. When I reviewed the event later at home, I realized "the voice" had come out due to my immediate in person perception of the sort of judgement he was making with his question.

I'm not even certain he knew I was married, but he couldn't possibly imagine a woman half his age being able to take off 3 months a year? 
-----
Additional factoid: He was not the one interviewing. I was being interviewed by two other people, non contract, actual management, and we were walking through the actual department as sort of a show and tell. While my tour guide chatted one person up, I ended up with teh Contract Worker. And Contract Workers like to compare contracts as like a -thing-.

Extra bonus: While I was performing my skill set on a test patient/coworker, he came round and smaked her tummy and made a fat joke. I called him out on that, and he said, "You think that's bad, SHE set the tone my first day!"

I consider this all to be a professionalism flag, but figured I'd had some friction with uber professionals in other jobs. So maybe working with a bunch of people who think farts are funny will mean my job will finally be friction free. Just because they don't have boundaries doesn't mean I don't get to have them :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:00:30 AM by Mesmoiselle »

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19955 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

You are right; it's possible that this kind of thing might get said to both men and women. Maybe even at exactly the same rate. However, context matters. Women hear this against a wide catalog of assumptions in the workplace about marital status and support, in a way that men do not.

My perception is also that women would be considered moochers if they were supported by husband so they could work part time, but husbands supported by wives get high fives for bagging a good one.  my upbringing and regional area of living is likely affecting that perception though. Having known the guy for less than 5 minutes, and not being the sort to actively go looking for sexism/racism in the work place so I can be outraged as some sort of hobby, I can only assume that my perception of his tone and body language was the correct one and I responded appropriately by setting him straight.

My husband joked later that I may not have set him straight. By saying I was the rich wife, he could then assume I'd inherited money from family.

All way around, seems like men find it hard to believe that I could have my financial shit together rather than depending on others.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19956 on: March 10, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing Iím paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over itís expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

I'm confused, why would you multiply the cost of a phone by 25?

E.T.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19957 on: March 10, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.
ayy lmao.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #19958 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.

ET Phone home

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19959 on: March 14, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

The woman buys toast from a cafť. She doesn't need a Pinterest-perfect pantry!

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19960 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:17 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

but maybe she thinks once she has the pantry she will be inspired to cook?

Or otherwise its because one of the Kardashian/Jenners has an amazing pantry. I cant remember which one but I remember people on facebook sharing it as goals

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19961 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19962 on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.
I had to look up pantry cannisters (I too cook everything at home but don't have any).  What are fancy about fancy ones that would do the job better than something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Pantry-Canister-4-2-Quart/dp/B008BR4MR6

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19963 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »
I had to look up pantry cannisters (I too cook everything at home but don't have any).  What are fancy about fancy ones that would do the job better than something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Pantry-Canister-4-2-Quart/dp/B008BR4MR6

No- those are the fancy ones; but the way it worked out to convert the whole pantry we needed about about 50 containers of various sizes (we had it all mapped out which sizes we needed for what).  So a set of 3 for nearly $40; they add up. The larger containers are over $20 each.

So $200 for canisters would only get 5 sets of what you showed.  I would need more than 5 of the large containers just for varieties of rice.  After just a few things, the small containers are pretty useless.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19964 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »

No- those are the fancy ones; but the way it worked out to convert the whole pantry we needed about about 50 containers of various sizes (we had it all mapped out which sizes we needed for what).  So a set of 3 for nearly $40; they add up. The larger containers are over $20 each.

So $200 for canisters would only get 5 sets of what you showed.  I would need more than 5 of the large containers just for varieties of rice.  After just a few things, the small containers are pretty useless.

Catering websites might be a good option if you're still interested.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19965 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Oh wow, got it.  I get the feeling our pantries look vastly different. :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19966 on: March 14, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »

I have a single wide closet as a pantry.  I just went with a bunch of dollar store boxes or painted cardboard boxes.  But we have a lot of rices and flours because my husband really likes variety when he cooks.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19967 on: March 14, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »

I have a single wide closet as a pantry.  I just went with a bunch of dollar store boxes or painted cardboard boxes.  But we have a lot of rices and flours because my husband really likes variety when he cooks.
Yeah, my pantry is mostly just oils, vinegars, canned stuff, onions, maybe some sweet potatoes, and small kitchen appliances like the food processor and coffee maker when not in use.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19968 on: March 14, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Not money, but if you can't count and don't know what a calendar looks like you can't read a bank statement I assume....

Actual thing said at my office by people who earn more money than me:
'What? It's Pi Day?'
'Yeah man, it's 3/42'
'Awesome'

That's not Pi, that's not today's date, that's not any date.
See my journal

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19969 on: March 14, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

You probably have a better-stocked pantry than someone who doesnít cook. I would say she has the basics - white flour, white sugar, etc - and thatís it.

Not money, but if you can't count and don't know what a calendar looks like you can't read a bank statement I assume....

Actual thing said at my office by people who earn more money than me:
'What? It's Pi Day?'
'Yeah man, it's 3/42'
'Awesome'

That's not Pi, that's not today's date, that's not any date.

One of my colleagues got a meeting request yesterday for April 4 and got all excited. ďStar Wars Day!Ē

No, no itís not.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19970 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »

You probably have a better-stocked pantry than someone who doesnít cook. I would say she has the basics - white flour, white sugar, etc - and thatís it.
I don't have either of those things in my pantry, nor do I have any cannisters, and I cook every day. :D

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #19971 on: March 14, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »

She does't cook.

Ever.

That made me smile. The stars of MMM Wall of Shame.
Get a free stock and I get one too. (5 min sign-up Robinhood) https://goo.gl/ifD5Mj.

Participate in research studies (surveys), I do the studies during the year, and cash at Xmas time! (Enough to cover presents for my kids) https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=KN1LG5ME

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19972 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:24 AM »

I don't have either of those things in my pantry, nor do I have any cannisters, and I cook every day. :D

I have everything in cannisters - old plastic icecream tubs either emptied of original contents myself or scavenged from friend's recycle bins. They're sealable, stackable, they all match, FREE, and you just label them with a permanent marker. It'll come off in the dishwasher so you can always relabel. Like the poster above, I have at least 5 varieties of rice and a dozen kinds of flour.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19973 on: March 15, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »
My containers come in three kinds:
1. Charity shop Kilner jars - sugar, couscous and the like
2. New IKEA ones - larger, for flour and dried beans and rice
3. Glass jars that used to hold something else - spices

I only use see-through ones, though. Scavenged opaque containers go in the Tupperware cupboard for temporary storage uses.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19974 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Young colleague has just bought his first place. He wants to rent out a room to a room mate to make ends meet. Can't affort much furniture yet.
Now his GF moved in with him and wants to buy a dog. My colleague was wondering whether a dog was expensive. Another colleague at the table, who didn't want a dog, but lost the argument with the rest of his family, confirmed that having a dog is very expensive indeed.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19975 on: March 17, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
Young colleague has just bought his first place. He wants to rent out a room to a room mate to make ends meet. Can't affort much furniture yet.
Now his GF moved in with him and wants to buy a dog. My colleague was wondering whether a dog was expensive. Another colleague at the table, who didn't want a dog, but lost the argument with the rest of his family, confirmed that having a dog is very expensive indeed.
Are you in a position to talk to young colleague about contraception?  Girlfriend is very likely exhibiting nesting behaviour and a baby could very well follow on quite quickly from the dog.

Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19976 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
Are you in a position to talk to young colleague about contraception?  Girlfriend is very likely exhibiting nesting behaviour and a baby could very well follow on quite quickly from the dog.

Um.... I don't know how things roll on your planet. but on this one it's just a dog, dude. And women don't have 'nesting behaviours' so much as men have 'misinterpreted female behaviour based on their male misogynistic outlooks'.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19977 on: March 17, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »

Um.... I don't know how things roll on your planet. but on this one it's just a dog, dude. And women don't have 'nesting behaviours' so much as men have 'misinterpreted female behaviour based on their male misogynistic outlooks'.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #19978 on: March 17, 2018, 10:50:44 PM »
Coworker was on new hire 6 month probation and it was not going well with regular 'performance feedback' meetings giving poor reviews. They were staying with family members since moving to a new city, and constantly talking about going around to buy new furniture to it could be ready for their new place in the spring. I asked, 'Where will you store these items if you buy them now? Why not wait until you have the place and then you know what your space requirements will be?' (Strong hints that  large purchases may not be wise when getting fired is imminent.) Alas, the hint was not not clear enough, and neither were the multiple performance review warnings. With 1.5 months left on probation still they signed for a 3 bedroom house and made a few other public expensive commitments (booked flights, etc) and then were given immediate notice of 'non-renewal of contract effective immediately' a few days after moving in to the big place, and right after they turned down a friend as a potential paying room-mate/tenant.  I'm very sad for them, and also so frustrated that they will be in a really bad position now and that it would have been mostly preventable.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19979 on: March 19, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »

I also don't think the dog has anything to do with any nesting behaviours. I also don't want to interfere with my colleague's decision on whether and when to have children. I just think he should realize that a dog is very expensive and that he takes a very deliberate decision about having a dog. The money should be worth it.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19980 on: March 19, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »

When I was pregnant with our first both of my husbands siblings ended up with dogs. They couldn't have more babies so they went out and got dogs. It's a thing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19981 on: March 19, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
I managed to own a dog for 13 years before having children.  I don't think the two are related.
Then again, I lack nesting, as my kid is 1 and we still don't have a "nursery" set up.

Dogs aren't that expensive, though the occasional $800 emergency vet bill does suck. I guess it depends what you define as expensive.

martyconlonontherun

• Stubble
« Reply #19982 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
I managed to own a dog for 13 years before having children.  I don't think the two are related.
Then again, I lack nesting, as my kid is 1 and we still don't have a "nursery" set up.

Dogs aren't that expensive, though the occasional $800 emergency vet bill does suck. I guess it depends what you define as expensive.

Depends on the life-style and what you feel is appropriate for a dog. If you travel a ton, boarding can get super expensive. If you get a puppy and feel you need to take them to doggy day care every day, it gets expensive.

Some people (even frugal people) can't have a dog and just leave them at home all day without expensive food, dog walkers etc. They just don't believe that's how you treat a dog.

If you are more like me and think a dog is a dog and don't travel much, it can be cheap to own a dog for the entertainment/companionship you get.

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19983 on: March 19, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »

+10.

rockstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19984 on: March 19, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

+10.

Also, I'm not sure about Norway, but in my area of the planet, one does not talk to younger coworkers about their contraception methods. That would be a great way to get reported to HR. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19985 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »

+10.

Also, I'm not sure about Norway, but in my area of the planet, one does not talk to younger coworkers about their contraception methods. That would be a great way to get reported to HR.

hahahaha!

"So did you file that TPS report? Is your girlfriend on the pill?"

The Fake Cheap

• Stubble
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #19986 on: March 19, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Co worker of mine was defending why she was driving a large pick up truck.  She said that "it's only used to take me to work and back (~70KM round tip)and to tow our trailer around in the summer.  Plus, we bought it when the new model year was coming out, so we got a deal on it." 

This person thinks this is actually how you save money.  Stunning!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #19987 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »

+10.

hahahaha!

Yea in America it would go like this (assuming there are no women around):

"Whoa, she's getting a dog, huh?  You better lock that thing down before a baby pops out of it!"

Then everyone would laugh and slap each other on the back, and that person would get reported to HR for their strong mentoring and leadership skills and promoted to VP.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #19988 on: March 20, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »

+10.

hahahaha!

Yea in America it would go like this (assuming there are no women around):

"Whoa, she's getting a dog, huh?  You better lock that thing down before a baby pops out of it!"

Then everyone would laugh and slap each other on the back, and that person would get reported to HR for their strong mentoring and leadership skills and promoted to VP.
And this is why America isn't so great....dogs of the non-animal variety. Hanging out in packs and getting ahead.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

M5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19989 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »
Coworker recently sold their classic VW Beetle, so now she has a significant amount of cash laying around. Naturally she must spend it on something else so she is looking at buying a travel trailer. As if this isn't bad enough, she has asked nearly everyone in the building if they have space for them to park the new trailer. Because they don't have any place for it and you know, paying $150/mo in storage just won't cut it. I've been so stunned I haven't even said a word.

How about you don't buy anything..
My Journal

"All it takes is... Time, Money, and Beer"

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #19990 on: March 21, 2018, 02:05:18 AM »
+10.
Let us take a moment and appreciate that this thread has now 20000 comments.

change_seeker

• Stubble
« Reply #19991 on: March 21, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Coworker recently sold their classic VW Beetle, so now she has a significant amount of cash laying around. Naturally she must spend it on something else so she is looking at buying a travel trailer. As if this isn't bad enough, she has asked nearly everyone in the building if they have space for them to park the new trailer. Because they don't have any place for it and you know, paying $150/mo in storage just won't cut it. I've been so stunned I haven't even said a word.

How about you don't buy anything..

I sense a great opportunity here, I have a travel trailer for sale AND will rent the spot to her ;)
My Journal

"Wow, a vegan cowboy who... works on racecars for a living!" - Axecleaver

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19992 on: March 22, 2018, 09:44:42 AM »
Went on travel with 5 of my coworkers this week and it was depressing.

Two of our coworkers didn't go with us, but I found out that one is 64 and the other 68, with neither planning on retiring anytime soon because of how poorly they've managed their finances.

My supervisor and his wife (also in management) have a combined income of in excess of $225k and live paycheck to paycheck.

On expressing how "I can't even imagine working at age 68" another coworker (in her mid-50's) said "I will have to work until I'm 72." I replied, "What do you mean have to?" She went on a rant about how they can't save anything and excuse after excuse. I was just sitting there thinking, I sure hope that your health even allows you to work that long if that's your plan.

One of my coworkers is in her early 40's with a husband who is retired military. I actually presented MMM to her a few weeks ago and she seemed excited. Unfortunately they LOVE to spend money. Despite trying to sell her on the fact that she has a massive leg up (the pension being equivalent to a risk free $650k if it was invested), I've seen nothing to show she's actually interested. I told her I would answer any questions she had, but if she didn't ask, I wasn't going to preach to her.

Another coworker is in her early 30's. We drove to the site in her $60k Tahoe. I texted my wife and we figured out that every single car we've owned in our lives (8 total cars, we're in our mid 30's) we'd still paid less than that in total. Anyway, on the way they stopped at Starbucks where she spilled her drink in her clown car. And then freaked out about; which I suppose is understandable when your car costs sixty thousand dollars! We went out to dinner the other night and watched her parallel park. She was super careful about not hitting the curb. Turns out her wheels were $1000 each. She's mentioned Dave Ramsey a few times which I suppose is a positive, but actually saving seems to be a foreign concept as long as you're not "in debt."

I've decided we'll just keep our mouth shut about finances from here on out. I imagine I'll end up retiring before every single one of them except the 68 year old.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19993 on: March 22, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
Maybe I saw your coworker in traffic the other day: big SUV with a front license plate that said in fancy script "Blessed". Hopefully they were thankful for more than their material possessions.

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19994 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:19 AM »
During a meeting at work:

Colleague: Hank did good for himself. He retired early.
Me, interested: Oh, at what age?
Colleague: Oh, I don't know, but before official retirement age.

Me, thinking: hmm, probably at age 63 instead of 65 or so. Okay, I'm not so interested anymore.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19995 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »

Two of our coworkers didn't go with us, but I found out that one is 64 and the other 68, with neither planning on retiring anytime soon because of how poorly they've managed their finances.

My supervisor and his wife (also in management) have a combined income of in excess of $225k and live paycheck to paycheck.

On expressing how "I can't even imagine working at age 68" another coworker (in her mid-50's) said "I will have to work until I'm 72." I replied, "What do you mean have to?" She went on a rant about how they can't save anything and excuse after excuse. I was just sitting there thinking, I sure hope that your health even allows you to work that long if that's your plan.

One of my coworkers is in her early 40's with a husband who is retired military. I actually presented MMM to her a few weeks ago and she seemed excited. Unfortunately they LOVE to spend money. Despite trying to sell her on the fact that she has a massive leg up (the pension being equivalent to a risk free $650k if it was invested), I've seen nothing to show she's actually interested. I told her I would answer any questions she had, but if she didn't ask, I wasn't going to preach to her.

Another coworker is in her early 30's. We drove to the site in her $60k Tahoe. I texted my wife and we figured out that every single car we've owned in our lives (8 total cars, we're in our mid 30's) we'd still paid less than that in total. Anyway, on the way they stopped at Starbucks where she spilled her drink in her clown car. And then freaked out about; which I suppose is understandable when your car costs sixty thousand dollars! We went out to dinner the other night and watched her parallel park. She was super careful about not hitting the curb. Turns out her wheels were $1000 each. She's mentioned Dave Ramsey a few times which I suppose is a positive, but actually saving seems to be a foreign concept as long as you're not "in debt."

I've decided we'll just keep our mouth shut about finances from here on out. I imagine I'll end up retiring before every single one of them except the 68 year old.

Oh boy.

I had a convo with a coworker yesterday who mentioned that he's never really thought about money.  "I just buy what I want."  I joked "Maybe that's why you say you won't ever retire, not just that you put 4 kids through college."  Then he said "well, I don't even remember how many decades ago it was when I made even only $100k."  Um, thanks man.  Wasn't too long ago for me.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19996 on: March 23, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »

Oh boy.

I had a convo with a coworker yesterday who mentioned that he's never really thought about money.  "I just buy what I want."  I joked "Maybe that's why you say you won't ever retire, not just that you put 4 kids through college."  Then he said "well, I don't even remember how many decades ago it was when I made even only $100k."  Um, thanks man.  Wasn't too long ago for me.
Pre-mustache, I considered "not thinking about money" to be my greatest luxury. I wasn't making anywhere near $100k at the time, but a combination of LCoL and instinctive cheapness meant that my bank account still grew (slowly) without my ever having to consciously budget.

Now I look back and shake my head, thinking about all the money I could have been socking away with only a minor amount of thought applied to my finances!

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19997 on: March 23, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
Oh boy.

Pre-mustache, I considered "not thinking about money" to be my greatest luxury. I wasn't making anywhere near $100k at the time, but a combination of LCoL and instinctive cheapness meant that my bank account still grew (slowly) without my ever having to consciously budget.

Now I look back and shake my head, thinking about all the money I could have been socking away with only a minor amount of thought applied to my finances!

I never used to think about money.  Oddly enough (not really), I was always worried/stressed about it though.  Now I think about money a lot (maybe too much), but I never worry about it anymore!

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19998 on: March 23, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Yesterday my officemate said, "I wish we could name a dollar amount to contribute to our 401Ks instead of a percentage.  I wish I could just put $100 in there instead of $36.64 or whatever it works out to be. Then maybe I could get somewhere."

We both are in our late 30's and we both make around $38,000.  I'm contributing a flat dollar amount of $300 per pay--she's contributing $36.64.  I told her that yes, we can in fact ask for a flat rate because that's exactly what I'm doing, and to email HR asap.

Yikes.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19999 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »
At least it sounds like she's planning to increase her contributions!

I have one office mate who is lovely, but has the weird hobby of shopping for random things/gadgets. Today he showed me a foldable bicycle, which you can take on the train for cheap. He thought it would be nice to visit smaller places with the bike so he could see more of the countryside and wouldn't be limited to the well known cities (he's a Mexican in NL). The bike was cheap, but would need some fixes and would definitely not be a comfy ride for the countryside.

About an hour later, he tells me how he'd like to buy a $600 camera for his travels through Europe. Usually he just tells me how he wants to travel more but has no one to travel with/it's too expensive. I asked him why his phone's camera wasn't sufficient and he told me he wouldn't be able to see certain details if he'd print it larger and would try to paint it. I just looked confused. My paintings could never be accurate enough that a decent phone camera couldn't capture it and make it clear on an A4 print.