Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8257392 times)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19850 on: March 03, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
Just overheard this conversation yesterday, but first a little background.

I have a co-worker who is single and bought a home only a few minutes from work a year or two ago; it is a modest 1 acre lot with a ~900 sq/ft house, that he paid around 55k for. He also drives a used Saturn that he bought from his grandparents for ~3k when they became too old to drive. Compared to most of my co-workers he seemed pretty fiscally responsible, of course he has a few spendy-pants habits . . .

I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue. He then make a digital copy of them and places it on his home server for . . . later watching? (I don't really know)

Now on to the shocking overheard story:

This co-worker and another co-worker were talking about the number of movies he owns, excluding duplicates and how much he has spent on them. Apparently over the last 18 years he has accumulated three-thousand plus movies, mostly new releases, but with some older or bundle purchases. The shocking part is that many of these are where new releases and he estimates the total purchase price of his collection to be $56,700. Yes his movie collecting habit cost him about $3,000 a year and over the course of 18 years he has spent more on movies than the purchase price of his house (and more than half of his car).

That is terrible. And it totally doesn't have this value today.

BudgetSlasher

• Bristles
« Reply #19851 on: March 03, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Just overheard this conversation yesterday, but first a little background.

I have a co-worker who is single and bought a home only a few minutes from work a year or two ago; it is a modest 1 acre lot with a ~900 sq/ft house, that he paid around 55k for. He also drives a used Saturn that he bought from his grandparents for ~3k when they became too old to drive. Compared to most of my co-workers he seemed pretty fiscally responsible, of course he has a few spendy-pants habits . . .

I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue. He then make a digital copy of them and places it on his home server for . . . later watching? (I don't really know)

Now on to the shocking overheard story:

This co-worker and another co-worker were talking about the number of movies he owns, excluding duplicates and how much he has spent on them. Apparently over the last 18 years he has accumulated three-thousand plus movies, mostly new releases, but with some older or bundle purchases. The shocking part is that many of these are where new releases and he estimates the total purchase price of his collection to be $56,700. Yes his movie collecting habit cost him about $3,000 a year and over the course of 18 years he has spent more on movies than the purchase price of his house (and more than half of his car).

That is terrible. And it totally doesn't have this value today.

I agree and hence why I used purchase price instead of value.

He is aware of the value loss, but still thinks some that are classics and "out of print" may be worth a little extra.

MooCow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19852 on: March 04, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
I work at a law firm.  All of the attorneys have six-figure incomes, but some are salaried whereas others are paid based on their actual billings, depending on how their agreement is set up with the firm. 

One of our newer attorneys has decades of experience working at big firms for clients with deep pockets. She loves to talk about all the crazy-high salaries she's had over the years, in excess of $300k/year at times. She sponsors local political campaigns, wears new clothing and expensive jewelry every day, must have a weekly salon haircut. She's on the track of "paid based on actual billings."

One month when some of her bills were held up going out to a client, she confessed to her assistant that if payment weren't made quickly, she'd have to declare bankruptcy. The next month (after the bills went out after all) she's buying a designer dog.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19853 on: March 04, 2018, 04:25:43 AM »
One month when some of her bills were held up going out to a client, she confessed to her assistant that if payment weren't made quickly, she'd have to declare bankruptcy. The next month (after the bills went out after all) she's buying a designer dog.

I'm glad I do not know what this is.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19854 on: March 04, 2018, 04:55:38 AM »

I'm glad I do not know what this is.

The product of the pet equivalent of the Porsche car configurator. /s

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19855 on: March 04, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
This is too rich to not post here. Scene: p/t retail gig, I (25F) make $11.50/hr, with other sales associate (21F) who makes $12/hr. Being the grandma of the store staff, I tell them about the gigs and jobs I've had over the years. When I was in high school I'd post on Craigslist looking to clean people's houses for $15/hr, got lots of takers to help out a high school kid get some cash.

21F tells me how she wants to hire someone to help her clean her place because she doesn't have time to do it and her roommate is a worthless turd. She works no more than 25 hrs per week and mostly just smokes weed and does dabs
OK, I thought I was pretty aware of things, but, I had to look up dabs.
Well, maybe less material in your lungs, but probably less efficient (less mustachian), in that some THC will be left in the green material and the time and materials used to make the dab.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19856 on: March 04, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »
My coworker was telling me about a discussion  she’d had with her teenage son.   He was going on a high school outing that involved buying lunch at a restaurant.    He asked her for some money; she handed over $15.   Him:   “Mum, that won’t be enough.   I don’t want to look POOR.”   She gave him an extra $10.

Me:   “Where on earth are they going that $15 isn’t enough?  Plus, doesn’t he have his own money from his part time job?”   She just looked sheepish and didn’t answer.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19857 on: March 04, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
My coworker was telling me about a discussion  she’d had with her teenage son.   He was going on a high school outing that involved buying lunch at a restaurant.    He asked her for some money; she handed over $15.   Him:   “Mum, that won’t be enough.   I don’t want to look POOR.”   She gave him an extra $10.

Me:   “Where on earth are they going that $15 isn’t enough?  Plus, doesn’t he have his own money from his part time job?”   She just looked sheepish and didn’t answer.

Kids going to order a $5 soup and blow the rest on crack

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #19858 on: March 05, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »
I've always know he has a (shall we say) hobby of buying and "watching" newer movies on blu-ray. I use the quotation marks because he watches most of the movie in fast forward only slowing down for what he thinks are key parts of dialogue.

WTF? That's the most shocking part of the story to me - if you're going to disrespect the movies that much and spoil them for yourself then why even bother in the first place?

I did get into buying DVDs fairly early on (1999), it is a bit painful when the DVDs you spent £12-£15 on are now worth about £0.50. Fortunately I skipped buying Blu-rays at full price (you can get those for peanuts now too), but now I've been bitten by the 4K bug. Trying to keep it to only the best of the best new releases, though.

And I've spent nothing like the amount this guy has!

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19859 on: March 05, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
My coworker was always bragging about the great deals he’d gotten on blu rays or games.   When I said “You must have a blast watching/playing those”, he scoffed “Ha.   I never have time for that shit.   And even when I do, my kid is always hogging the TV.”

He finally got a bit more spare time - but his kid is still hogging the TV.   His solution?    Buy another TV, of course.

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19860 on: March 05, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

I listed off Arkansas, Arizona, Michigan, Tennessee, and California.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

I hope you reported this jackass to his HR department.

trollwithamustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19861 on: March 05, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
I recently interviewed for a Medical Imaging local job after being a Medical Imaging Contract Worker for two years. Contract working is ridiculously lucrative. A "cheap" job is netting $1700/week for 38 hours. I've gotten $2400/week for more like 44+ hours. I opted for three months of vacation the first year, and 5 months of vacation the second year, living off the excess from my contracts while doing and paying for my own house renovations during the time off. Also, omg, I hate full time work and I was mentally exhausted.

Anyway, back to the interview. The hospital has a Contract Worker in the department when we're doing our walk through. And we're doing the usual chit chat "are you social or a introverted mouth breather" back and forth thing when the contract worker asked where all I'd been.

"Where else?" he asks, expecting a far longer list for my two years of travel employment.

"Well, I went to the California place three times and I've had two assignments in Tennessee. But I guess my list is also short because I take at least a month off after every assignment."

This grey haired man, obviously in his 50s, makes a scoffing noise at me. Then asks, "What, got a rich husband?"

I blink at him in bewilderment for a split second, then get an edge of steel in my voice. "No. I'm the rich wife. I've always out earned every partner I've ever been with."

It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides. How is this gray haired man not rolling in it (or at least as wealthy as I am) if he's been doing it for LONGER @_@

why? if he's a contract worker he has no authority. A jackass alone in the woods does not make real discrimination.

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19862 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »

why? if he's a contract worker he has no authority. A jackass alone in the woods does not make real discrimination.

If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #19863 on: March 05, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19864 on: March 06, 2018, 01:31:52 AM »
Do you have reason to believe he would have said something different if the genders were reversed? My coworkers would ask me if I married into money if I took off every other month too...

I'd report him because I don't think that's a professionally appropriate comment to make to ANYONE who has come for an interview. It's one thing to make a joke like that to a long-term colleague whose sense of humour you know - quite another to come out with a "witty" aside like that in an interview when everyone involved ought to be on their best professional behaviour. If he wanted to know more, a more appropriate response would have been "Oh, that's interesting. How do you manage that?"

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #19865 on: March 06, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »

I'd report him because I don't think that's a professionally appropriate comment to make to ANYONE who has come for an interview. It's one thing to make a joke like that to a long-term colleague whose sense of humour you know - quite another to come out with a "witty" aside like that in an interview when everyone involved ought to be on their best professional behaviour. If he wanted to know more, a more appropriate response would have been "Oh, that's interesting. How do you manage that?"
Fair enough, an interview setting is different.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19866 on: March 06, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »

You are right; it's possible that this kind of thing might get said to both men and women. Maybe even at exactly the same rate. However, context matters. Women hear this against a wide catalog of assumptions in the workplace about marital status and support, in a way that men do not.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19867 on: March 06, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
I work at a law firm.  All of the attorneys have six-figure incomes, but some are salaried whereas others are paid based on their actual billings, depending on how their agreement is set up with the firm. 

One of our newer attorneys has decades of experience working at big firms for clients with deep pockets. She loves to talk about all the crazy-high salaries she's had over the years, in excess of $300k/year at times. She sponsors local political campaigns, wears new clothing and expensive jewelry every day, must have a weekly salon haircut. She's on the track of "paid based on actual billings."

How often does these delays happens? Even without the, she has potential for providing us with a lot of entertainment!

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19868 on: March 07, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
Extracurricular academic classes are popular in China. Think along the lines of extra math classes, SAT prep classes, etc. Today, one of my coworkers told me that her teen attends these classes. Apparently, one of the kids in the class never attends class, and his parents have already spent over $100,000 over the course of the past three years on these types of classes to “get him ready” for applying to boarding school in the US. He is almost 19 and still “getting ready for (high school) boarding school”.

trollwithamustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19869 on: March 07, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »

If it's a good company I would hope they would be mortified by his comment and not renew his contract. Being quiet about sexism helps.... who exactly???

The old guy is sexist and nothing will change his mind. You might be able to beat him into hiding it and make an enemy. Since he has no authority why not let him fade off into the sunset and OP never wastes a brain cycle on about him again? There will be some  flavor of jackasses at any job OP takes, so it ends up being a personal decision what types/levels of jackassery is tolerated in a new job.

seriously though, if she wants the job, she can't file an HR complaint before even getting it!

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19870 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

The old guy is sexist and nothing will change his mind. You might be able to beat him into hiding it and make an enemy. Since he has no authority why not let him fade off into the sunset and OP never wastes a brain cycle on about him again? There will be some  flavor of jackasses at any job OP takes, so it ends up being a personal decision what types/levels of jackassery is tolerated in a new job.

seriously though, if she wants the job, she can't file an HR complaint before even getting it!

But... this is what FU money is for! So you don't have to put up with this kind of shit if you don't want to.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19871 on: March 07, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »

Why exactly is his comment sexist? The guys problem is that he's a consumer sucka and can't comprehend on you could live comfortably with those work assignments and assumes you must have outside financial assistance.  He could have just as easily replied "you win the lottery?", or "you have a trust fund?".  Having a rich spouse that supports you is far more likely though.

I guess I don't see how it's a super sexist comment.  Or why anyone would be mortified by the comment.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19872 on: March 07, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

Why exactly is his comment sexist? The guys problem is that he's a consumer sucka and can't comprehend on you could live comfortably with those work assignments and assumes you must have outside financial assistance.  He could have just as easily replied "you win the lottery?", or "you have a trust fund?".  Having a rich spouse that supports you is far more likely though.

I guess I don't see how it's a super sexist comment.  Or why anyone would be mortified by the comment.

I don't really see it as super sexist either. All it really shows is that the guy is on the treadmill and kind of a dick. I've said in several interviews that I have the resources to be picky about my next job, and I've never had a single comment about it. Probably a bit telling about the company as a whole, given that he's the one interviewing!

The Fake Cheap

• Stubble
    • The Fake Cheap
« Reply #19873 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary. 

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19874 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
*snip*

I don't really see it as super sexist either. All it really shows is that the guy is on the treadmill and kind of a dick. I've said in several interviews that I have the resources to be picky about my next job, and I've never had a single comment about it. Probably a bit telling about the company as a whole, given that he's the one interviewing!
It's not super sexist, and the reason he said it might be exactly the reasons you state.  He may even make the comment to as many men as women.  That being said, women probably hear it more often than men (in the US) though, so there is something uncomfortable about it to me. 

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #19875 on: March 08, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Heard this recently coming from the young (25ish) guy sitting a few spots down from me, about looking for a new car:

"I would be happy having a payment of $250 every two weeks, even up to $300 would be fine...."  Then the real kicker "over SEVEN years"

I have no idea what this guy's financial situation is other than he makes around $55K per year for salary.

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19876 on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »

Is reviewing reoccurring payments on a biweekly basis normal now? Or is this person simply running the numbers against their typical paycheck period?

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19877 on: March 09, 2018, 03:15:17 AM »

It's the common way that they are presented these days.  Soon, they will show it as "only $14 per day!"

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing I’m paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over it’s expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19878 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »

I often compute expenses as daily. But to me, sometimes realizing I’m paying $2/day for a phone (or whatever, over it’s expected lifetime) makes me reconsider the purchase

I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19879 on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
I multiply all my expenses by 25x and then say to myself - am I willing to have to save up this much to have this as part of my long term lifestyle?

For example - new iPhone X (or whatever) - $1000 x 25 = $25,000 needs to be saved if I want a new one every year.  Or, if that's not realistic, then lets churn it every 3 years instead, so $1000/3 = $334.  $334 x 25 = $8350.  Am I willing to save up an additional $8350 in order to afford a new iPhone every 3 years?  Since I'm trying to FIRE asap, the answer is generally... no.

I do the same, but then I convert it to how long I'd have to work to save up that amount.  For example cable, what do people pay nowadays for cable?  $80/month?  80*12*25 = $24,000.  If my savings rate is $2k/month, am I willing to work an extra year of my short life JUST to have cable?  Definitely not, but sometimes the cost of something in perpetuity is less than I'd expect, and I'll go 'I'll work 2 months to have that forever'.  Also with a really high savings rate (more than 2k/mo), the time to save for something forever is often not actually that long, so I have to be careful to avoid lifestyle creep.

E.T.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19880 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

Maybe this was already answered, but I thought I'd share my perspective. I use my phone to talk to my family and two of my best friends. I call one person each day on my commute home and it helps me keep connected in their daily lives. My family is very emotionally close but geographically spread out and we're not into social media, so it would be hard to connect without our weekly phone calls. The phone is a critical piece of infrastructure for my family. I don't feel attached to it as a tech gadget though, it's just a means to an end for me.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #19881 on: March 09, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
When I first started my previous job I had an older coworker who kept bragging to me about her amazing car. She was as proud of her car as she was bitter about not being anywhere near retirement-ready at 62. Amazing car was the top of the line Ford Taurus with suede seats and terrible gas mileage despite her 30 mile one-way commute. I couldn't even believe someone with such a brutal commute (an hour with no traffic in the morning, 2 hours plus guaranteed in the afternoon) would have such a gas guzzler for a car but it was her baby and her identity.

Imagine my surprise when I heard her on the phone with her car finance company telling them she took out a 401K loan to pay out their loan because she'd defaulted so many time she was afraid they'd repo the car. The car was 4 years old!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:34:17 PM by Cali »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19882 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
When I first started my previous job I had an older coworker who kept bragging to me about her amazing car. She was as proud of her car as she was bitter about not being anywhere near retirement-ready at 62. Amazing car was the top of the line Ford Taurus with suede seats and terrible gas mileage despite her 30 mile one-way commute. I couldn't even believe someone with such a brutal commute (an hour with no traffic in the morning, 2 hours plus guaranteed in the afternoon) would have such a gas guzzler for a car but it was her baby and her identity.

Imagine my surprise when I heard her on the phone with her car finance company telling them she took out a 401K loan to pay out their loan because she'd defaulted so many time she was afraid they'd repo the car. The car was 4 years old!

I mean...really...a Ford Taurus?

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19883 on: March 09, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

Maybe this was already answered, but I thought I'd share my perspective. I use my phone to talk to my family and two of my best friends. I call one person each day on my commute home and it helps me keep connected in their daily lives. My family is very emotionally close but geographically spread out and we're not into social media, so it would be hard to connect without our weekly phone calls. The phone is a critical piece of infrastructure for my family. I don't feel attached to it as a tech gadget though, it's just a means to an end for me.

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #19884 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »

You'd think it was a Ferrari the way she bragged about it. I couldn't believe anyone who drove 60 miles+ daily would buy a car that got 15mpg , 20mpg if she was lucky.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19885 on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

You'd think it was a Ferrari the way she bragged about it. I couldn't believe anyone who drove 60 miles+ daily would buy a car that got 15mpg , 20mpg if she was lucky.

Which Taurus gets that bad of fuel economy? I'm seeing numbers ranging from 20/29 to 16/24 mpg (city/hwy). The latter is the turbocharged six-cylinder model with AWD.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19886 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »

I do the same, but then I convert it to how long I'd have to work to save up that amount.  For example cable, what do people pay nowadays for cable?  $80/month?  80*12*25 = $24,000.  If my savings rate is $2k/month, am I willing to work an extra year of my short life JUST to have cable?  Definitely not, but sometimes the cost of something in perpetuity is less than I'd expect, and I'll go 'I'll work 2 months to have that forever'.  Also with a really high savings rate (more than 2k/mo), the time to save for something forever is often not actually that long, so I have to be careful to avoid lifestyle creep.

If you aren't right at FIRE you need to tack on that many years to your 25.  Eg if you're 5 years away, multiply by 30 (25+5).  You've got to pay for it now while you're working while saving up for having it in FIRE. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19887 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »

If you aren't right at FIRE you need to tack on that many years to your 25.  Eg if you're 5 years away, multiply by 30 (25+5).  You've got to pay for it now while you're working while saving up for having it in FIRE.

Hmm, that's a good point, didn't think about that.  It's not just delaying FIRE by $24k.  If I weren't paying 80/mo for cable right now I could save that much more, accelerating FIRE, so it's even worse!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19888 on: March 09, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »

Yeah I agree with dragon car on this... it can lead to some crazy thinking.

I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Cali

• Stubble
Overheard at Work
« Reply #19889 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »

Which Taurus gets that bad of fuel economy? I'm seeing numbers ranging from 20/29 to 16/24 mpg (city/hwy). The latter is the turbocharged six-cylinder model with AWD.

I can’t say because I never looked it up but likely the latter. It was just something else she complained about when she started the “I’ll never be able to retire” rant. Apparently it got okay milleage on a normal road but on the way to and from work her 2+ hour commute involved surviving the parking lot that is common for rush hour freeways in Southern California. Along with the car she couldn’t afford was a house in the boondocks she couldn’t afford but bought because everyone else had one. And in the backyard was a horse nobody had been able to ride for 10 years. “She’s like a big dog, I can’t get rid of her!”

I was a saver before we met but I think of her every time I start feeling like I’m getting spendy.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:10:57 PM by Cali »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19890 on: March 09, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
I used to have a $1 a day yogurt habit which I figured required me to save $9125 to sustain.

I no longer buy yogurt anymore...

Awesome, can I start telling people this when they ask why I don't eat yoghurt?

It can't go over worse than "because I have such an aversion to eating it that my throat feels like it closes".

Also, the homemade yoghurt crowd is coming for you now, @marty998.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19891 on: March 09, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
It strikes me later that this question didn't come just from a place of sexism. But from someone who didn' t know what the eff to be doing with the fire hose of cash that Travel Contract work provides.

I was in an interview... and he's a contract worker I may never see again, so I suppose I don't so much see the point.

And people have to be super racist/sexist for me to be right off the bat labeling it that way. I just knew in that moment that I'd pull out my "Big Girl" voice which is usually something I only do when I get a patient cussing me out or disregarding instructions. When I reviewed the event later at home, I realized "the voice" had come out due to my immediate in person perception of the sort of judgement he was making with his question.

I'm not even certain he knew I was married, but he couldn't possibly imagine a woman half his age being able to take off 3 months a year? 
-----
Additional factoid: He was not the one interviewing. I was being interviewed by two other people, non contract, actual management, and we were walking through the actual department as sort of a show and tell. While my tour guide chatted one person up, I ended up with teh Contract Worker. And Contract Workers like to compare contracts as like a -thing-.

Extra bonus: While I was performing my skill set on a test patient/coworker, he came round and smaked her tummy and made a fat joke. I called him out on that, and he said, "You think that's bad, SHE set the tone my first day!"

I consider this all to be a professionalism flag, but figured I'd had some friction with uber professionals in other jobs. So maybe working with a bunch of people who think farts are funny will mean my job will finally be friction free. Just because they don't have boundaries doesn't mean I don't get to have them :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:00:30 AM by Mesmoiselle »

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #19892 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »

You are right; it's possible that this kind of thing might get said to both men and women. Maybe even at exactly the same rate. However, context matters. Women hear this against a wide catalog of assumptions in the workplace about marital status and support, in a way that men do not.

My perception is also that women would be considered moochers if they were supported by husband so they could work part time, but husbands supported by wives get high fives for bagging a good one.  my upbringing and regional area of living is likely affecting that perception though. Having known the guy for less than 5 minutes, and not being the sort to actively go looking for sexism/racism in the work place so I can be outraged as some sort of hobby, I can only assume that my perception of his tone and body language was the correct one and I responded appropriately by setting him straight.

My husband joked later that I may not have set him straight. By saying I was the rich wife, he could then assume I'd inherited money from family.

All way around, seems like men find it hard to believe that I could have my financial shit together rather than depending on others.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19893 on: March 10, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »

I'm confused, why would you multiply the cost of a phone by 25?

E.T.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19894 on: March 10, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »

I hope you use a hands free device when you are talking. Driving is not to be taken lightly. It is a very big responsibility and I am sure you wouldn't want to kill someone. I have followed people who are talking on their phones while driving and they are all over the road. I have almost gotten hit head on too many times to count with careless drivers talking on the phone.

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #19895 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

Yes, it's voice activated bluetooth. My family all understand that if I'm driving and space out, it's because I'm paying attention to the road and not the phone call. I wait till I'm parked to talk about serious stuff so I can pay attention to the phone call more. I actually think it helps me focus while driving, otherwise I'd get bored and tired. Not saying it's right for everybody, just thought I'd share why I use my phone a lot. You questioned what people could talk about that often and for me it's a way to hear about the daily little stuff in people's lives. It's how I still feel close to them even though we've lived far apart for years.

ET Phone home

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19896 on: March 14, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

The woman buys toast from a café. She doesn't need a Pinterest-perfect pantry!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19897 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:17 AM »
A colleague, who has already starred in this thread for her Uber Eats habit, has been revamping her pantry.

She spent $200 on new canisters, and has been looking at laser-cut custom vinyl labels on Etsy for about $100.

She does't cook.

Ever.

The woman buys toast from a café. She doesn't need a Pinterest-perfect pantry!

but maybe she thinks once she has the pantry she will be inspired to cook?

Or otherwise its because one of the Kardashian/Jenners has an amazing pantry. I cant remember which one but I remember people on facebook sharing it as goals

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19898 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19899 on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
$200 doesn't get you much for fancy canisters.  I looked into redoing my pantry (as we do cook nearly everything at home)- and it was almost $1500 in containers alone.  I didn't do it.
I had to look up pantry cannisters (I too cook everything at home but don't have any).  What are fancy about fancy ones that would do the job better than something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Click-Clack-Pantry-Canister-4-2-Quart/dp/B008BR4MR6