Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 7592132 times)

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19600 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »
I cannot comprehend what possesses human females to pick men that are complete wastes........ Female animals know what to look for in potential mates....based on what animal they are,  they don't always stick around, but they don't pick weak, sickly ones.

I can't say I'm thrilled with your characterization of people who are "weak, sickly ones" as "complete wastes". I'll tell you, I'd far rather have a "weak, sickly" spouse who stuck around and was a true partner.

I was referring to a man who didn't have a job and drank all of the time..... Can you honestly say you would purposely choose that as a potential life partner ?

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19601 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I cannot comprehend what possesses human females to pick men that are complete wastes........ Female animals know what to look for in potential mates....based on what animal they are,  they don't always stick around, but they don't pick weak, sickly ones.

I can't say I'm thrilled with your characterization of people who are "weak, sickly ones" as "complete wastes". I'll tell you, I'd far rather have a "weak, sickly" spouse who stuck around and was a true partner.

Yeah, I've been weak and sickly in the past.  Glad my husband doesn't consider me to be a "complete waste" and nursed me back to health.

I was referring to a man who didn't have a job and drank all of the time..... Can you honestly say you would purposely choose that as a potential life partner ? If you get ill and your partner nurses you back to health, you obviously made a good choice in a life partner.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19602 on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

Yeah, I've been weak and sickly in the past.  Glad my husband doesn't consider me to be a "complete waste" and nursed me back to health.

It's so interesting how people can read things completely differently.  I didn't read that as saying anything about weak, sickly humans at all, but just as an example of a bad mate in the animal kingdom, which animals are usually smart enough to avoid mating with.  In the animal kingdom, weak or sickly usually means bad mate.  For humans, one would think alcoholic and jobless usually means bad mate as well, yet there always seems to be someone willing to choose them.

To go back to a school exercise:
Humans are to alcoholic and jobless as animals are to weak and sickly

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19603 on: January 13, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
I have one female colleague who is in het twenties. She seems to me like a big spender, but managed to save up her own share to now buy an apartment. That is well done for a single person.
Now she intends to save for a Tesla. She mentioned that she needed to find a male partner with a Tesla. She currently owns a fancy DMW, bought one year old. It still has a car loan. She mentioned she would pay off the car loan first, before the mortgage, because it has the highest interest. She really sounds financially capable. She just has this thing with prioritizing cars and will probably waste a future fortune on a Tesla.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #19604 on: January 13, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
Now she is dating a man who has no job and drinks too much she says. Is this a match made in heaven? What kind of future is she visualizing with this person? You can't make this stuff up!

he could be FIRE'd

A lot of times, people (men and women) pick a partner to act out some need they have, or because they are repeating patterns they learned in childhood.

I have a friend who used tell me excitedly about each new fellow in her life, how funny, smart, artistic, sensitive, they were. Except for the heroin habit, or the fact that he beat his last girlfriend, or he was an unemployed artist who wanted her to support him. Over and over she chose people who were the definition of BAD Boyfriends. Then she went back to school, took a break from dating, moved to a new city...where she met a good man. A man, not a boy with anger or drug problems. She made a good choice and they have been married about 15 years.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19605 on: January 13, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
Now she is dating a man who has no job and drinks too much she says. Is this a match made in heaven? What kind of future is she visualizing with this person? You can't make this stuff up!

he could be FIRE'd

A lot of times, people (men and women) pick a partner to act out some need they have, or because they are repeating patterns they learned in childhood.

I have a friend who used tell me excitedly about each new fellow in her life, how funny, smart, artistic, sensitive, they were. Except for the heroin habit, or the fact that he beat his last girlfriend, or he was an unemployed artist who wanted her to support him. Over and over she chose people who were the definition of BAD Boyfriends. Then she went back to school, took a break from dating, moved to a new city...where she met a good man. A man, not a boy with anger or drug problems. She made a good choice and they have been married about 15 years.

Yeah, female animals pick really important attributes:

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19606 on: January 13, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »

Well yes, she is being selective - look at him.  He grew those lovely feathers, good healthy feathers with all that blue are hard to grow.  So he is healthy, no (or few) endo- or ecto-parasites, good food collecting and digesting systems.  Still alive, those feathers didn't make him vulnerable to a predator.  Good potential genes for her babies.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #19607 on: January 13, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »

Well yes, she is being selective - look at him.  He grew those lovely feathers, good healthy feathers with all that blue are hard to grow.  So he is healthy, no (or few) endo- or ecto-parasites, good food collecting and digesting systems.  Still alive, those feathers didn't make him vulnerable to a predator.  Good potential genes for her babies.

"OH MAN, WHAT A SEXY BIRD!  HE IS SO HEALTHY, I WILL HAVE ALL HIS CHICKS"
- That lady bird

Birds select different attributes than humans because they are looking to have bird babies, not human babies.  :)
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19608 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »

And likewise, having no job and drinking a lot shows resourcefulness and liver strength.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19609 on: January 14, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »

And likewise, having no job and drinking a lot shows resourcefulness and liver strength.

Well he is no superb bird of paradise.  He has about the same amount of brains as the male grouse I nearly ran over because he couldn't bother paying attention.  How many women does he have lining up hoping to be chosen?  The thing they have in common with Ms. BoP is no support from Daddy to look after babies.   With This Herring gets it - different starting point, different criteria.

If you really want to be serious, the question is why women make such bad choices.  In the bird world, top displaying males in polygamous species get to mate with lots of females, at leas some of whom will end up being excellent mothers (all on their own.) His long-term behaviour is irrelevant, he just needs a healthy body.  In species where the pair raise the babies the selection is a lot more serious.  Like, cute pool boy for fun, serious Daddy material for kids.

And maybe next time you want to make a point like this, don't compare a top male with a bottom one?  It was fun but not accurate.  Hmm, although in a society where scavenging is necessary for survival, and there is no alcohol available anyway, the loser might be the winner - post-apocalypse, anyway.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #19610 on: January 14, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
If you really want to be serious, the question is why women make such bad choices.

My first crack at the answer: there are just as may damaged, messed-up, dysfunctional adult children in female form as there are in male form.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19611 on: January 14, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

Well he is no superb bird of paradise.  He has about the same amount of brains as the male grouse I nearly ran over because he couldn't bother paying attention.  How many women does he have lining up hoping to be chosen?  The thing they have in common with Ms. BoP is no support from Daddy to look after babies.   With This Herring gets it - different starting point, different criteria.

If you really want to be serious, the question is why women make such bad choices.  In the bird world, top displaying males in polygamous species get to mate with lots of females, at leas some of whom will end up being excellent mothers (all on their own.) His long-term behaviour is irrelevant, he just needs a healthy body.  In species where the pair raise the babies the selection is a lot more serious.  Like, cute pool boy for fun, serious Daddy material for kids.

And maybe next time you want to make a point like this, don't compare a top male with a bottom one?  It was fun but not accurate.  Hmm, although in a society where scavenging is necessary for survival, and there is no alcohol available anyway, the loser might be the winner - post-apocalypse, anyway.

If this loser has women lining up to date him, he is by definition a top specimen.  Why do you fight nature?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19612 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »

"OH MAN, WHAT A SEXY BIRD!  HE IS SO HEALTHY, I WILL HAVE ALL HIS CHICKS"
- That lady bird

Birds select different attributes than humans because they are looking to have bird babies, not human babies.  :)

@marty998, when MMM goes Attenborough. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19613 on: January 15, 2018, 04:47:43 AM »
@mustachepungoeshere so that's why girls always ran away... I didn't have enough blue feathers!!! :D

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19614 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »

If this loser has women lining up to date him, he is by definition a top specimen.  Why do you fight nature?

Are you being serious here?  Because if he has women lining up to date him, he has something positive.  Animal magnetism?  Charm? Hot bod? Of course there is a big difference between dating someone, and marrying and having kids with that same someone.  Lots of women date the "bad boy", hopefully most of us don't marry him.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19615 on: January 15, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
@mustachepungoeshere so that's why girls always ran away... I didn't have enough blue feathers!!! :D

You have beautiful feathers. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19616 on: January 15, 2018, 01:45:41 PM »

Are you being serious here?  Because if he has women lining up to date him, he has something positive.  Animal magnetism?  Charm? Hot bod? Of course there is a big difference between dating someone, and marrying and having kids with that same someone.  Lots of women date the "bad boy", hopefully most of us don't marry him.

How are beautiful feathers different from a “hot bod” in sexual selection?

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Board Member
« Reply #19617 on: January 15, 2018, 05:26:28 PM »
I thought dad bods were all the rage now. Are they not? Asking for a friend...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19618 on: January 16, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »
A friend just called me to rant about her experience at work yesterday.

She went to pee. No toilet paper.

She holds a senior role in a small business (about a dozen employees), and the office staff are supposed to keep the place stocked with toilet paper, etc, then claim it through petty cash.

But, as they explained, they were "all too broke after Christmas".

"Oh for fuck's sake, I'll go buy it then!"
"Wait, wait, we'll give you a list!"

Toilet paper, paper towel, dishwashing liquid, tea, coffee, snacks...

She spent $70 restocking the office, put in her expense claim, then watched one of the "broke" office guys pay $25 for lunch.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19619 on: January 16, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
My husband's company gave each employee the choice between a Macbook Air and a Lenovo Thinkpad. IT made it clear they recommended the Lenovo over the Mac. Most people still opted for the shiny.

Lenovo's are easier to manage for an IT department, but Apple isn't more expensive for somewhat computer literate users (AKA developers). In my company an employee is 60-100 times more expensive than an Apple computer. The focus is really on keeping employees productive not getting the cheapest stuff possible. Apples are a lot more efficient for support due to the high number of equal models which allows employees to find a solution or quickly realize that there isn't one.

« Reply #19620 on: January 16, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »

She holds a senior role in a small business (about a dozen employees), and the office staff are supposed to keep the place stocked with toilet paper, etc, then claim it through petty cash.

She spent $70 restocking the office, put in her expense claim, then watched one of the "broke" office guys pay $25 for lunch.

That's a very odd system, I've never heard of something like this for toilet paper.  The company might want to check the HR laws on this.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19621 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
odd is a nice term. I would call this bizarre, and I'm a business owner of a similarly sized business.

Specifically regarding toilet paper that really depends on where you are working. Outside Northern America and Europe the rules are different.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19622 on: January 16, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »

That's a very odd system, I've never heard of something like this for toilet paper.  The company might want to check the HR laws on this.

I wonder if the employees are supposed to pay the electric bill out of pocket and file for reimbursement.

« Reply #19623 on: January 16, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »

I wonder if the employees are supposed to pay the electric bill out of pocket and file for reimbursement.

Yes, I'm waiting for a reply from the OP. Perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. And an explanation of why this was so shocking to his friend.

What it sounds like though is that a manager decided they could save $50/month doing this. The employees made up a lame excuse because the system was BS, and just let the manager take care of it. Making employees pay out of pocket for expenses is very often a bad deal. You have to do the work of turning in an expense report, and track everything. Inevitably, you forget some expense and eat the cost.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19624 on: January 16, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
Being and employer myself... Would you say the same thing if there is prepayment of the expected cost?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19625 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »

Yes, I'm waiting for a reply from the OP. Perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. And an explanation of why this was so shocking to his friend.

What it sounds like though is that a manager decided they could save $50/month doing this. The employees made up a lame excuse because the system was BS, and just let the manager take care of it. Making employees pay out of pocket for expenses is very often a bad deal. You have to do the work of turning in an expense report, and track everything. Inevitably, you forget some expense and eat the cost.

I'm surprised that this has caused such a stir.

As I understand it, the owners (who are based interstate) decided these tasks are the responsibility of the three office staff. They're reimbursed electronically as soon as they lodge their expense forms, so my friend was repaid the same day.

She said she was surprised that, when buying supplies became an apparent hardship, their solution was to just ... not do it, rather than raise it with management and come up with an alternative.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19626 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:18 AM »
Also, I had a coworker openly admit that he spends $800/month on weed. (And by the way lives paycheck to paycheck)

Shocking. Have you suggested growing it at home? But maybe your colleague used so much that growing at home doesn't cover his/her consumption.

« Reply #19627 on: January 17, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »

As I understand it, the owners (who are based interstate) decided these tasks are the responsibility of the three office staff. They're reimbursed electronically as soon as they lodge their expense forms, so my friend was repaid the same day.

She said she was surprised that, when buying supplies became an apparent hardship, their solution was to just ... not do it, rather than raise it with management and come up with an alternative.

Who knows? Maybe I'm reading this situation completely wrong. Is this a small tech company with  a college dorm atmosphere? I guess I could see this system in that case.

Otherwise, the whole thing sounds unprofessional (have they heard of company credit cards?). As for why the employees didn't bring it up with management, it may be because managers who put exactly these sorts of systems in place react poorly when you tell them the truth. The employees knew that whoever said anything would get chewed out so they took the passive route.

And if doing unpaid work by shopping for office supplies and then using your personal funds to pay, albeit temporarily, is such a non-issue, then why is your friend complaining about doing it?

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19628 on: January 17, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
Bring your own toilet paper to work.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #19629 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
Got a couple good ones this morning at work. We have an internal "marketplace" chat room set up in company our chat program, that folks in our office use like a craigslist board to buy/sell stuff they're looking to get rid of. It's generally pretty mustachian- a lot of furniture and stuff from people moving/downsizing, usually for dirt cheap or even free. However, this morning there were two separate posts that made my head spin. Somewhat edited and/or paraphrased versions below:

post 1:
Jeep project for sale, 2002 Grand Cherokee, has all the cool parts, but needs front axle bracket geometry adjusted (cutting and welding involved). Over $22k invested, sacrifice for $11k obo....
...Terrible gas mileage (14ish). Includes new front driveshaft that's not installed, as it needs the front axle adjustments first. As such it's 2 wheel drive for the time being... This is not a good daily driver, built more for offroading. I daily drive it, but it's tires are loud, it smells funny, and the ride is rough.

Post 2:
Selling a [fancy brand, $1,300 MSRP] portable Synthesizer. Lightly used (couple of hours), looking for $900. Selling because I bought it thinking I'd get into using it but didn't.

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #19630 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
surprised there isn't a corporate CC to address the office supply issues....sad but true that some people have their credit cards maxed out after Christmas. 

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19631 on: January 17, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »

Who knows? Maybe I'm reading this situation completely wrong. Is this a small tech company with  a college dorm atmosphere? I guess I could see this system in that case.

Otherwise, the whole thing sounds unprofessional (have they heard of company credit cards?). As for why the employees didn't bring it up with management, it may be because managers who put exactly these sorts of systems in place react poorly when you tell them the truth. The employees knew that whoever said anything would get chewed out so they took the passive route.

And if doing unpaid work by shopping for office supplies and then using your personal funds to pay, albeit temporarily, is such a non-issue, then why is your friend complaining about doing it?

It's the same in my company and I've never thought twice about it, honestly. We don't exactly have a college dorm atmosphere, we're a small, but long established company and I'm the only employee under 50. Generally it's the owner buying the supplies, because he lives next to the grocery store, but he's abroad often so that's when the employees take care of it. We refund ourselves from the petty cash. As I live closest to the post office, I'm usually the one to take letters and parcels after work (maybe once a month) and I refund myself from the petty cash. I'm the bookkeeper but I always make sure someone else is with me when I refund myself. I don't want to be accused of anything. For larger supplies (paper, toner) I generally order online and then pay by invoice. My employer is old-fashioned and doesn't really like the idea of me ordering online, but he reluctantly agrees because no one wants to go and buy all those boxes of paper.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19632 on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »

It's the same in my company and I've never thought twice about it, honestly. We don't exactly have a college dorm atmosphere, we're a small, but long established company and I'm the only employee under 50. Generally it's the owner buying the supplies, because he lives next to the grocery store, but he's abroad often so that's when the employees take care of it. We refund ourselves from the petty cash. As I live closest to the post office, I'm usually the one to take letters and parcels after work (maybe once a month) and I refund myself from the petty cash. I'm the bookkeeper but I always make sure someone else is with me when I refund myself. I don't want to be accused of anything. For larger supplies (paper, toner) I generally order online and then pay by invoice. My employer is old-fashioned and doesn't really like the idea of me ordering online, but he reluctantly agrees because no one wants to go and buy all those boxes of paper.

My previous employer was a small company. We had a company credit card from the next door grocery store. Everyone could borrow it to buy stuff we needed forvthe office, like nuts, fruit, etc. Only requirement was bringing the paper receipt and write your name on it. The bill would monthly go from the grocery store to my employer.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19633 on: January 17, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
TP is momentary and TP is costly.  There will be no more TP used in this office today, is that quite clear, Mr. Cratchit?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19634 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
TP is momentary and TP is costly.  There will be no more TP used in this office today, is that quite clear, Mr. Cratchit?

OK, but I'm not going to be held responsible for marks made after I skootch myself dry on the floor.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19635 on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »

Acquaintance with a decent young lady, married to a rough drug addict. After the divorce, I over heard my wife suggest she can now find herself a nice guy, she shot back, No, I like the bad boys. hmm, not so good for her 4 year old son.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19636 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
Also, I had a coworker openly admit that he spends $800/month on weed. (And by the way lives paycheck to paycheck)

Shocking. Have you suggested growing it at home? But maybe your colleague used so much that growing at home doesn't cover his/her consumption.

Coworker clearly needs to start buying bulk, much cheaper.
Until you need to pay the lawyers!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19637 on: January 17, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »

Buy the lawyers in bulk for more savings

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19638 on: January 17, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »

Buy the lawyers in bulk for more savings

Better call Saul!

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19639 on: January 19, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
Coworker asked me why I hadn't bought a house yet. It's my first year making middle class wages, with student debt, and he knows it.

He was shocked when he heard what the price of a 1bdrm apartment goes for. He's been smart with his real estate, managed a good flip, and now thinks everyone has a mortgage of $400/month. (In my city, the average monthly mortgage payment is ~$2k/month, give or take.).

And then he was asking why young people don't have kids these days. I swear I don't even know how to talk to these pod people.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19640 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:08 AM »
Acquaintance with a decent young lady, married to a rough drug addict. After the divorce, I over heard my wife suggest she can now find herself a nice guy, she shot back, No, I like the bad boys. hmm, not so good for her 4 year old son.
She is not a bird brain - birds are smarter.
She hasn't learned, has she?  Good guys are not boring (Nice GuysTM are to be avoided), I feel very sorry for her son.

BiCu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19641 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:48 AM »
This technically belongs on the Overheard on the Way to Work thread…

When I was 18 I overheard a woman on the bus bragging that Target had messed up and approved her credit card application (with a credit limit of something like $200 if memory serves). The person she was speaking with suggested that she use the opportunity to charge something small each month (that she was going to buy anyway) and then pay it off to build up her credit. She replied that she was going to use her good fortune to get a purse and some other stuff she wanted and then not pay it back. (Scream emoji)

That was the first time I realized it was possible to refuse to pay a debt.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19642 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Coworker asked me why I hadn't bought a house yet. It's my first year making middle class wages, with student debt, and he knows it.

He was shocked when he heard what the price of a 1bdrm apartment goes for. He's been smart with his real estate, managed a good flip, and now thinks everyone has a mortgage of $400/month. (In my city, the average monthly mortgage payment is ~$2k/month, give or take.).

And then he was asking why young people don't have kids these days. I swear I don't even know how to talk to these pod people.

That was my in-laws when we bought our house. They keep comparing it to the house they bought back in '83 for the low price $180k. Nevermind that in 2017 dollars that would have been around $440k.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19643 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »

That was my in-laws when we bought our house. They keep comparing it to the house they bought back in '83 for the low price $180k. Nevermind that in 2017 dollars that would have been around $440k.

Ask them what their interest rate was...

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19644 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
This technically belongs on the Overheard on the Way to Work thread…

When I was 18 I overheard a woman on the bus bragging that Target had messed up and approved her credit card application (with a credit limit of something like $200 if memory serves). The person she was speaking with suggested that she use the opportunity to charge something small each month (that she was going to buy anyway) and then pay it off to build up her credit. She replied that she was going to use her good fortune to get a purse and some other stuff she wanted and then not pay it back. (Scream emoji)

That was the first time I realized it was possible to refuse to pay a debt.

I mean, it's certainly possible to just refuse to pay a debt. But it's also possible to just walk out of a store without paying. I really don't get why people that charge up cards and then refuse to pay think they are doing something different than shoplifting.
See my journal

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19645 on: January 19, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »

It was high, but they paid their house off in 3 years so it didn't affect them too much.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19646 on: January 19, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »

It was high, but they paid their house off in 3 years so it didn't affect them too much.
Ask them their average pay increase over those 4 years...For most people it tracked the interest rate. Which is how it wasn't unheard of to pay it off in three years. I had coworkers who received 10-15% increases, because they received inflation +1%. Meanwhile the house payment stayed constant...Imagine 7 years later your salary has doubled but your payments stayed constant.

Look at COLA provided by SS to see it for yourself. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/colaseries.html  Wage increases (in general) track COLA. If you get less than COLA, you actually come out behind on inflation.

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19647 on: January 19, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
Started full time job in May and soon after found this site. After learning about retirement accounts/HSAs and things like that I start looking for more information from other people. I ask the guy who advised me to get an HSA about retirement stuff and he said he doesnt make enough to put any into retirement. When I started talking about paying myself from the HSA years later he got scared that I would lose receipts.

My supervisor recently got her MBA so I figured she would be good with money. She too said she didnt make enough to worry about retirement, and maybe she would look into it in a few years.
The administrative assistant behind me was talking to me about the HSA and said she always spends what she puts into it (like a lump at the beginning of the year), and so I should start out small and figure out how much I spend each year. I didnt bother getting into adding to it until I have enough to invest the over $2000. Tried to get my friend who got a job the same month as me and was a temp in my office when I was into some of this stuff but he doesnt really get it. He is super focused on getting a house but wont be able to afford a house downtown where he currently lives for soo long.

2lhasas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19648 on: January 20, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
I turn 50 in February and announced my retirement on January 3 - working through March 30 to allow them to hire my replacement.  Upon hearing about it, a colleague of the same age, exclaimed that she was buying a new expensive house and I was retiring.  Another colleague looked at her and said, well, that was your choice.  Exactly!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19649 on: January 20, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
Started full time job in May and soon after found this site. After learning about retirement accounts/HSAs and things like that I start looking for more information from other people. I ask the guy who advised me to get an HSA about retirement stuff and he said he doesnt make enough to put any into retirement. When I started talking about paying myself from the HSA years later he got scared that I would lose receipts.

My supervisor recently got her MBA so I figured she would be good with money. She too said she didnt make enough to worry about retirement, and maybe she would look into it in a few years.
The administrative assistant behind me was talking to me about the HSA and said she always spends what she puts into it (like a lump at the beginning of the year), and so I should start out small and figure out how much I spend each year. I didnt bother getting into adding to it until I have enough to invest the over $2000. Tried to get my friend who got a job the same month as me and was a temp in my office when I was into some of this stuff but he doesnt really get it. He is super focused on getting a house but wont be able to afford a house downtown where he currently lives for soo long.

If possible, you should max out the HSA (after putting enough in the 401k to get any employer match)
Credit card signup bonuses:

Chase 4 ways!
Freedom: $150 bonus on $500 spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/03KSQF2G5T
CSP: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/UW0KPNQ0C6
CSR: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19/AOWAI3BZ35
CIP (business): 80k UR ($800) on $5k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/734C6BFZO3

Amex Platinum: 60k MR on $5k spend (try to get targeted for a 100k offer instead) http://refer.amex.us/THOMASCt2z
Amex Hilton Ascend: 100k HH points on $2k spend + Gold status http://refer.amex.us/THOMASYKOS