Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252593 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19500 on: January 25, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
We also talked about groceries. Most of us buy groceries at a cheap store. One of the colleagues said he consequently did his grocery shopping at Expensive store A and Expensive store B. Because he was familiar with these stores. New stores have stuff stored in different places and will take more time to shop in. I mentioned that this was only in the beginning. Then he sceptically looked at me (aged 44) and asked if I also shopped at Cheap store C, like the other guys. I confirmed and that surprised him.

I just talked to someone last week who sheepishly admitted about Whole Foods "I know it's expensive but I do all my shopping there because it's so convenient."  I just don't get why your co-worker's "familiar" and my acquaintance's "convenient" (within limits of course) see it as worth paying hundreds of $ per month more for groceries.

Just wait until the store remodels or does a massive reorganization. It's awful.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19501 on: January 25, 2018, 05:15:37 PM »
 I work with a lovely man in his 50s, who is a constant reminder to me of the benefits of both self-care and mustachianism. He is overweight and having some costly health issues as a result (diabetes, sleep apnea, kidney back and knee problems), resulting in running out of sick pay and no savings. He also has two early twenty-something kids who don't work and have no plans to leave home, a wife that works part time only, so he has to stay at a job he hates (the stress is killing him) to support his family. They've recently remodelled the kitchen and bought a fancy puppy, so they had to add in fences, all costing huge $$$$ and stress.

Though he dreams of leaving work, his expenses are so high that he can only look at jobs in different fields grossing over $100k (hard to do when transitioning to a new field at 50). At the moment his heart is set on a new field that pays well, but is notoriously competitive and had a 12-phase employment process- costing him time and money for a small chance of bagging a job.

He's decided to get in shape recently  (he tries this once a year or so, hopefully it'll stick this time)- he's signed himself and wife up for a food delivery system, all meals - I asked the cost- $159aud, per person, per week!! For comparison, I spend about $125per week total for 3 adults. On top of this, he still needs to feed his two adult kids. He's also joined a fancy gym near his place, $40 a week for each he and his wife.  While I want him to succeed (he badly needs to get fit, his office is next to mine, I'm worried that I'll hear a thump and find him dead on the floor one day), I just feel so bad for him, he seems so 'trapped' in his life, and just unhappy. 

While I don't love my job either, I've got a clear plan (out in 8 years with a paid off mortgage and a decent investment portfolio) and low expenses/enough savings that  if the stress got bad enough, I could quit and sustain my lifestyle with a much lower wage.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19502 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
Overheard at work today: snoring from the row or cubicles over from mine. I couldn’t quite believe it so a coworker and I checked it out and found a side asleep at his desk, headphones on in front of his monitors. We were concerned and thought about tracking the dude’s a manger down to say something. More investigation from his neighbors though turned out that this is the usual post-lunch activity.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19503 on: January 26, 2018, 12:58:33 AM »
I work with a lovely man in his 50s, who is a constant reminder to me of the benefits of both self-care and mustachianism. He is overweight and having some costly health issues as a result (diabetes, sleep apnea, kidney back and knee problems), resulting in running out of sick pay and no savings.

<...>

I'm worried that I'll hear a thump and find him dead on the floor one day), I just feel so bad for him, he seems so 'trapped' in his life, and just unhappy. 

I think you are quite right in expecting this. He might also be at a high risk for suicide.

Would there be any way to help him becoming more frugal? He would benefit so much from it.

Is it a crazy idea to send him a personal note with a link to a frugal-mindset website and ask to him get in touch with you if he wants to find out more? You don't need to mention FIRE at all, but just the benefits of not being so dependent on the big $$$ job.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19504 on: January 26, 2018, 02:01:52 AM »
Overheard at work today: snoring from the row or cubicles over from mine. I couldn’t quite believe it so a coworker and I checked it out and found a side asleep at his desk, headphones on in front of his monitors. We were concerned and thought about tracking the dude’s a manger down to say something. More investigation from his neighbors though turned out that this is the usual post-lunch activity.

He just have to say he was power napping, then everything is OK.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19505 on: January 26, 2018, 04:44:03 AM »
Hahaha, reminds me of this lazy guy who was an engineer. He moped around all day long and never seemed to accomplish anything. Every single day at lunch time he would eat his lunch at his desk and then promptly fall asleep. One of our younger engineers was devilish and would let him get into a good sleep and would call him on his phone, wake him up and then hang up. This is way before caller ID. I guess you might call that a 'wake up call'. LOL!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19506 on: January 26, 2018, 07:16:53 AM »

I'm 90% sure someone was sleeping in the bathroom the other day. No loud snoring, but definitely a distinct sleep breathing pattern and no other sound or movement in the stall. The breathing stayed the same after I flushed... I guess headphones or something?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19507 on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
Hahaha, reminds me of this lazy guy who was an engineer. He moped around all day long and never seemed to accomplish anything. Every single day at lunch time he would eat his lunch at his desk and then promptly fall asleep. One of our younger engineers was devilish and would let him get into a good sleep and would call him on his phone, wake him up and then hang up. This is way before caller ID. I guess you might call that a 'wake up call'. LOL!
At my last workplace we had an in-house consultant, very clever but loved to nap during the day. The contract frowns upon napping on billable time. A few of us would take turns calling him and hanging up. He's still there, still napping daily, still getting crank calls. My old boss is in on it. He crank calls too.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19508 on: January 26, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »

I have a coworker who regularly falls asleep in the afternoon, often during video meetings. 

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19509 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »

I have a coworker who regularly falls asleep in the afternoon, often during video meetings.

To be fair, video meetings can be some of the most boring things on earth, especially if you are just listening while others speak at you.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #19510 on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
I'm 90% sure someone was sleeping in the bathroom the other day. No loud snoring, but definitely a distinct sleep breathing pattern and no other sound or movement in the stall. The breathing stayed the same after I flushed... I guess headphones or something?

Our work restrooms have motion detector lights that go out after some reasonable amount of time (never actually checked how long).  I went in the other day and the lights popped on but someone was in a stall.  I'm thinking they were either sleeping or need more fiber. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19511 on: January 26, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »

Our work restrooms have motion detector lights that go out after some reasonable amount of time (never actually checked how long).  I went in the other day and the lights popped on but someone was in a stall.  I'm thinking they were either sleeping or need more fiber.
There is a famous quiz show question:

Why do students in a certain school wave their arms from time to time when writing a test?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19512 on: January 26, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
In an old building I worked in the toilets had no windows and the lights were on a motion sensor. The problem was that the only motion the sensor detected was near the entrance and the sinks. So if you sat in a stall for more than about ten seconds you were plunged into obscurity.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19513 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »

To be fair, video meetings can be some of the most boring things on earth, especially if you are just listening while others speak at you.

These are interactive meetings.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19514 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

We had one of those.  He was 60, overweight, sleep apnea, was sleeping on an air mattress (lived in TX, but moved here for the job).

After several months, his insurance kicked in (he didn't have it while unemployed, because back then was unable to marry his boyfriend).

Insurance meant he was able to be treated for the sleep apnea.  We convinced him to get at least a futon.  After about a month of treatment he was so much better.  He was sleeping, losing weight, and staying awake in meetings.  Sleep apnea is no joke.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19515 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
Sleep apnea is scary. My husband has it and used a CPAP machine though he isn’t over weight and is relatively young. When he doesn’t sleep with it he will stop breathing for these periods of time and it is creepy.
Not to mention I have heard it kills brain cells

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19516 on: January 26, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »
In an old building I worked in the toilets had no windows and the lights were on a motion sensor. The problem was that the only motion the sensor detected was near the entrance and the sinks. So if you sat in a stall for more than about ten seconds you were plunged into obscurity.
Haha, I totally misread you the first time.  I read: "In an old building, I worked in the toilets" instead of "In an old building I worked in, the toilets ..."

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19517 on: January 26, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »

Brings some excitement to the working day!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19518 on: January 26, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »
First time the motion lights went out at a previous employer I was alone working after hours (newbie). Thought somebody was there in the dark screwing with me. Nope.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19519 on: January 27, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
Years ago a professional employee ~50 year old woman started falling asleep at work.   Eventually bad enough that they stopped  sending her to outside audits (major part of her job).  Then she passed out at work.  Refused help when 911 arrived.  She refused to discuss her "medical problem" while management guessed sleep apnea with side of denial.

All was revealed when she was found passed out in her car with a crack pipe. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19520 on: January 28, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »
First time the motion lights went out at a previous employer I was alone working after hours (newbie). Thought somebody was there in the dark screwing with me. Nope.

I got freaked out a while back when I was working late and the motion lights clicked ON in an office across the way.  I would have seen someone go in.  Probably just a ghost.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19521 on: January 28, 2018, 01:18:47 AM »

At my previous job, office lights went out at 7pm. You could turn them back on but they were on a 30-minute timer thereafter.

I had nights there where I got up every half an hour from 7pm till I knocked off at midnight (for a "9-5" job) to turn the lights back on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19522 on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:28 AM »

At my previous job, office lights went out at 7pm. You could turn them back on but they were on a 30-minute timer thereafter.

I had nights there where I got up every half an hour from 7pm till I knocked off at midnight (for a "9-5" job) to turn the lights back on.

We had this shit too.  I just took a stand lamp from a conference room and plugged it in.  Nicer than fluorescent anyways, easier on the eyes

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19523 on: January 28, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »

I got freaked out a while back when I was working late and the motion lights clicked ON in an office across the way.  I would have seen someone go in.  Probably just a ghost.

Yeah - that would be even more creepy. I once took my dog with me to work.

I figured I would be there an hour or so and nobody would know and nobody would really care b/c it was an odd hour to be there.

I was sitting in my cubicle. Dog was laying in the walkway *hallway" down the center of the room. All of a sudden dog goes bonkers, usually very mellow. I about wet my pants!

Fellow engineer also coming in at odd hour to get caught up. He certainly did not expect to be challenged by an ornery (chicken) dog! We both had a big laugh about it. 

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19524 on: January 28, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »

Talked to a guard that told me that had been doing rounds in an office building at night. He walked on a sort of balcony, looking down on into a small atrium, and saw a cake with a knife that had been used to cut it. Sounded like the cake looked tempting to him.

The next time he walks past and look down on the cake, the kitchen knife is gone.

Turns out it was just a similar cake in an identical part of the building. He didn't say, but i would be impressed if his pants survived.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19525 on: January 28, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »

I had an older employee back in the day that kept nodding off at his desk. I would get to work about 6:30 AM and he'd already be there dozing. After a few of these episodes I told him if he can't stay awake, don't come in so early and get more sleep. He said he didn't sleep well and since he was already awake he figured he might as well come in.

So I had to point out he can't expect to sleep at work "on demand" and only work an 8-hour day. He could either stay an extra half-hour to compensate for the napping, or resolve his sleeping issues at home. Oh, but then he complained that if he stayed later it would take him an extra 30 minutes to get home because the traffic would be so much heavier. No acknowledgement that sleeping on the job was reflecting very poorly on him. He just figured it was one of those "accommodate me, I have a problem" things.

I didn't know his exact age but I figured he was over 65, and after getting a briefing from HR on what I could do next, I asked him what his retirement plans were so we could have a succession plan in place. He took this as we were getting ready to fire him, and he did resign a couple months later after I called him out every time I caught him sleeping.

I later found out he was actually 71. Why was he still working at that age? Because at age 50 he sold his house and bought a new giant one (cost 4x his income AFTER he rolled over the proceeds of his previous home), and also bought a condo in Georgia that he tried desperately to rent out as a money-making venture.  Not to smart with money.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19526 on: January 28, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
How sad

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19528 on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
I work with a lovely man in his 50s, who is a constant reminder to me of the benefits of both self-care and mustachianism. He is overweight and having some costly health issues as a result (diabetes, sleep apnea, kidney back and knee problems), resulting in running out of sick pay and no savings. He also has two early twenty-something kids who don't work and have no plans to leave home, a wife that works part time only, so he has to stay at a job he hates (the stress is killing him) to support his family. They've recently remodelled the kitchen and bought a fancy puppy, so they had to add in fences, all costing huge $$$$ and stress.

Though he dreams of leaving work, his expenses are so high that he can only look at jobs in different fields grossing over $100k (hard to do when transitioning to a new field at 50). At the moment his heart is set on a new field that pays well, but is notoriously competitive and had a 12-phase employment process- costing him time and money for a small chance of bagging a job.

He's decided to get in shape recently  (he tries this once a year or so, hopefully it'll stick this time)- he's signed himself and wife up for a food delivery system, all meals - I asked the cost- $159aud, per person, per week!! For comparison, I spend about $125per week total for 3 adults. On top of this, he still needs to feed his two adult kids. He's also joined a fancy gym near his place, $40 a week for each he and his wife.  While I want him to succeed (he badly needs to get fit, his office is next to mine, I'm worried that I'll hear a thump and find him dead on the floor one day), I just feel so bad for him, he seems so 'trapped' in his life, and just unhappy. 

While I don't love my job either, I've got a clear plan (out in 8 years with a paid off mortgage and a decent investment portfolio) and low expenses/enough savings that  if the stress got bad enough, I could quit and sustain my lifestyle with a much lower wage.

I read this and thought about a coworker I have. The problem is, almost every detail is worse for him:
-Not 50's, 63 or 64
-Overweight *and* a recovering alcoholic
-Two high-school-aged kids, both of whom have their hearts set on private college for very difficult fields (dance and music)
-Wife doesn't work at all
-Recent remodel, although thankfully no puppy
-Incredibly unhappy and frustrated with his life

In addition:
-Falling behind at being able to do his job at an increasing rate, as the role is evolving and he refuses to acknowledge the change
-Not trying to get fit at all, though at least he's still on the wagon
-Pulled his entire retirement savings out of the market and into cash ~2 years ago, because a crash was obviously imminent

It's an awful situation, and one that is motivating me to never end up there.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19529 on: February 02, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »
I just had a conversation with my boss. She is married with one kid, makes around $40k, not sure about husband.

She's been complaining of neurological issues (headache, light headedness, vision issues) since I started 3 months ago.

She talked to a Dr and he found swelling, and refered her to a specialist.

She can't pay the $1750 upfront for the scan, so was talking about going to the ER bc then it would be billed instead of paid upfront. It would also add an additional $300.

I said she should probably do the scan. She said "what would I do anyway? Even if I am dying I want can I do, cash out my retirement? I don't have any money."

Literally the next lines out of her mouth were about going to Miami next week to get a tattoo. Overall pretty said especially considering the cost of health care, but ultimately she's making bad decisions.

I'd recommend tourism healthcare and get some scans from a cheaper country. Sounds like something she'd be into and then at least she would have the scans.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19530 on: February 02, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »

Usually its someone who needs to stop playing candy crush/get off their phone.

Oh yeah, lights off and someone in the stall is something that happens at my work all the time.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19531 on: February 02, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
Today at lunch, co-worker reveals after a recent promotion that he can't max his Roth IRA this year (he's married so I'm assuming MFJ) when the topic of IRAs comes up.

Ok, so he's making good money.

He also reveals he's not even close to maxing out his 401k (he's 36, I think he said) and that "6% is probably enough."

Smh.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #19532 on: February 02, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
We have an internal "marketplace" chat room set up in company our chat program, that folks in our office use like a craigslist board to buy/sell stuff they're looking to get rid of.

My last company had something like this. Someone posted an ad for a "Chip & Dale dresser."
I'm guessing they mean Chippendale, not some Disney furniture.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #19533 on: February 02, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Getting to know you chat with a co-worker:

She was telling me about her young adult daughter (who lives with them) and how hard it is for them to get ahead.
For example, she and her husband purchased a new car for their daughter while she was in college so that the daughter could have something reliable to drive the first years out of school when she would likely not be making a lot of money; the daughter got in an accident and totaled the car, so the daughter had to take out a car loan to buy another new car because the insurance payout on the first one wasn't enough.  This is your run of the mill story, except then my co-worker said, we didn't want her saddled with a new car loan but God had other plans. 

What??!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:40:24 PM by Better Late »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19534 on: February 02, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »

She was telling me about her young adult daughter (who lives with them) and how hard it is for them to get ahead.
For example, she told me that the parents had purchased a new car for their daughter while she was in college so that the daughter could have something reliable to drive the first years out of school when she would likely not be making a lot of money; the daughter got in an accident and totaled the car, so the daughter had to take out a car loan to buy another new car because the insurance payout on the first one wasn't enough.  This is your run of the mill story, except then my co-worker said, we didn't want her saddled with a new car loan but God had other plans. 

What??!
Unfortunately, it's easier to blame something external (even supernatural) than blame yourself or your family member and actually own your fuckups.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19535 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »
We have an internal "marketplace" chat room set up in company our chat program, that folks in our office use like a craigslist board to buy/sell stuff they're looking to get rid of.

My last company had something like this. Someone posted an ad for a "Chip & Dale dresser."

Are you sure they screwed up the first word not the second? Maybe they meant "Chip & Dale dancer"  ...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19536 on: February 02, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »

Are you sure they screwed up the first word not the second? Maybe they meant "Chip & Dale dancer"  ...

I think you need to ask for details, @MoMan!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #19537 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »

For example, she told me that the parents had purchased a new car for their daughter while she was in college so that the daughter could have something reliable to drive the first years out of school when she would likely not be making a lot of money; the daughter got in an accident and totaled the car, so the daughter had to take out a car loan to buy another new car because the insurance payout on the first one wasn't enough.  This is your run of the mill story, except then my co-worker said, we didn't want her saddled with a new car loan but God had other plans. 

What??!
Unfortunately, it's easier to blame something external (even supernatural) than blame yourself or your family member and actually own your fuckups.

Amen to that! 

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #19538 on: February 02, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »

Hmmm.  How much are they asking?  I might be interested!

I think you need to ask for details, @MoMan!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #19539 on: February 05, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
I'm lucky to work for an employer that puts a percentage of salary into our retirement without requiring a match. Said employer is finally going through with switching all employees to the same payroll schedule. They've been talking about it for three years and finally one year ago said, "we're going to do it for sure in April 2018." This will mean some employees will be without a paycheck for 4 weeks. There is quite a bit of angst about this. I get it, but again, talking about it for three years and confirmed timing one year ago. There are several options to help make this process easier, including cashing out up to 80 hours of vacation (at minimum people are earning 3 weeks per year. Most people are earning 4-5 weeks per year). I've chosen to cash out vacation. My vacation accrues faster than I can take it and I can't carry over that much, so why not cash out rather than lose it, right? But since I max out my 403b and my HSA, I was concerned that if benefits came out of the vacation cash out I could over contribute for 2018. We had a large meeting about the payrool change last week, where I asked if benefits would be taken out. Today, a co-worker mentioned they were glad I asked because knowing that benefits wouldn't be taken out made them excited. That's a lot of background to tell you this story.

CW: Without the benefits coming out, the check should be bigger. It'll feel like a bonus.
Me: Sure, I guess. I'm just glad it won't effect my 403b and HSA deductions. Though it'd be okay if [employer] still put in their portion!
CW: wait, you put in more than [employer] does?
Me: yes.
CW: I didn't even know you were allowed to do that!
Me: oh... haha... yeah. (thinking: the way things are set up here, especially the last two years, you have to be actively trying to NOT know this)
CW: Not that it matters, only people like you without kids can save money! I wish we saved more.
Me: Oh, well, I'm sure it's harder to save.
CW: It's really hard to save.
CW: **next breath*** Hey, look at the iPhone X I just bought! I got my wife and [teenage] daughter one too! Gave [pre-teen] son my iPhone 7 but I'm thinking I might have to give in and get him one too.
Me: ***Facepalm***

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19540 on: February 05, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »

CW: **next breath*** Hey, look at the iPhone X I just bought! I got my wife and [teenage] daughter one too! Gave [pre-teen] son my iPhone 7 but I'm thinking I might have to give in and get him one too.
Me: ***Facepalm***

Yeah, wow! So you're CW just spend like $3000 for 3 phones (I'm going to guess he's paying this on the monthly plan)? And I am guessing he may be upgrading to next year's phone as well?

I don't understand how people do this? I simply don't! I paid around $650 for my phone about 16 months ago and I plan on using it for another year....and my company paid for my phone as I use it primarily for work.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19541 on: February 05, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
Does the average American not realize that there are other brands of phones to choose from? These "other brands" are often half price or lower and still have all the same doo-dads. Or buy used...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19542 on: February 05, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Does the average American not realize that there are other brands of phones to choose from? These "other brands" are often half price or lower and still have all the same doo-dads. Or buy used...
Only Apple claims "Designed in California". Buy 'Murican!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19543 on: February 05, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19544 on: February 05, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19545 on: February 05, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
This may seem dumb, but what do people have to talk about so much on their phones? When I was a teen and we had land lines I talked up a storm every single night to my best friend. We talked about boys and mean girls and stupid stuff like that. But what do adults talk so much about that they have to drive with their phones glued to their ears while driving or walking across a street and pay no attention to traffic? I see people who are driving out of their driveways first thing in the morning and are on their phones. I guess I just don't get it. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have a phone.  I like having it for emergencies and occasional calls and some of the features on the phone. What is the 24/7 attraction of the phone?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's still mostly boys, mean girls and stupid stuff.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19546 on: February 05, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Most of it as I gather is the never-ending scroll through TwitSpacetagramSnapBook.  For me, if I'm not careful it can turn into just mindless web browsing, like finding myself reading the Wikipedia article about the production of Jurassic Park (1993), debates about the theoretical habitability of Enceladus, or military strategies in ancient Rome.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19547 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:40 AM »

I think for a large part it is parents, discussing who is getting the children from childcare that day because they are delayed by some meeting, discussing who will shop groceries, etc. For some reason they often need to discuss this wile driving, while not using a handsfree device.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19548 on: February 06, 2018, 01:43:25 AM »
In the olden days, if you made a plan you had to stick to it because there was no way to change it last-minute. Nowadays you can renegotiate every minute detail up to the time it's actually happening. So my guess is a lot like Linda_Norway's: that they are endlessly going over old ground on when they should meet up, where they should go, who else they should invite, what they should do, whether they might now be late because of traffic, how they just need to stop by the dry cleaners first... Because they can now also narrate their entire journey in real time, rather than just showing up at the end of it and giving an executive summary then.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #19549 on: February 06, 2018, 02:37:21 AM »
There is a maintenance man at my work that is constantly on the phone. Using handsfree, and doesnt matter if he is lugging printer toner or rolling away bins. Always talking, never silent.

From what I've heard it sounds like is having personal calls with friends, and im fascinated with how much he seems to have to say. Or maybe he is being real clever, working some side hustle?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!