Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6262775 times)

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1950 on: March 04, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »
A couple who are friends of my parents (50/60s) are buying a house.  Financially, they are very timid and outdated - they aren't online, never shop around for utilities, and are probably with the same bank and insurer for the last 30 years, probably paying a fortune for not shopping around.
The house purchase has meant that they need to consider getting a mortgage, and they came to me as whilst I am not a trained advisor, I know a bit about finances.  They were saying how they wanted to go into a local branch of their bank as they valued having that face-face contact.  I strongly advised them against this - the people in the bank branches here in the UK are effectively sales people and will only offer products by that bank.  They may even be on commission which could affect their judgement - we've had a lot of scandals where customers were offered inappropriate products that came with high commission for the 'advisor'.  I strongly advised them to use an independent broker (preferably more than one), get quotes, and go from there - a broker can check the whole market and can help the process along if they are timid.
Their response?  They've booked appointments with three local bank branches for next week, and no broker appointments. 
*facepalm* You just can't help some people.  Makes me wonder why they asked for advice if they'd already made up their mind.  This decision alone could cost them thousands.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1951 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
A couple who are friends of my parents (50/60s) are buying a house.  Financially, they are very timid and outdated - they aren't online, never shop around for utilities, and are probably with the same bank and insurer for the last 30 years, probably paying a fortune for not shopping around.
The house purchase has meant that they need to consider getting a mortgage, and they came to me as whilst I am not a trained advisor, I know a bit about finances.  They were saying how they wanted to go into a local branch of their bank as they valued having that face-face contact.  I strongly advised them against this - the people in the bank branches here in the UK are effectively sales people and will only offer products by that bank.  They may even be on commission which could affect their judgement - we've had a lot of scandals where customers were offered inappropriate products that came with high commission for the 'advisor'.  I strongly advised them to use an independent broker (preferably more than one), get quotes, and go from there - a broker can check the whole market and can help the process along if they are timid.
Their response?  They've booked appointments with three local bank branches for next week, and no broker appointments. 
*facepalm* You just can't help some people.  Makes me wonder why they asked for advice if they'd already made up their mind.  This decision alone could cost them thousands.

I heard that banks offer basically the same products as brokers.  It makes sense to shop around, but is going to three banks really worse than brokers?

kt

« Reply #1952 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:25 AM »

I heard that banks offer basically the same products as brokers.  It makes sense to shop around, but is going to three banks really worse than brokers?

brokers can look at the whole market, all of the numerous offerings from all banks and building societies. If you go to a bank, they will only advise you on their deals. They are sales people for their bank. Going to three is better than one but I can easily think of 9 banks off the top of my head so they're missing a huge number of products which, though fairly similar, may be much better on such a long term item.

if they value face-to-face contact i'm sure they can meet up with a whole-of-market broker in person. we are planning to in a few weeks.

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1953 on: March 04, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »

In my opinion, yes.  For two reasons.
1) The banks are often not allowed to offer advice.  They can tell you about the products, and hand you all the leaflets, but you have to make the decision.  This is not ideal for these people who don't really know what they are doing.  A broker can offer an advised service and can assist the process along.
2) The brokers can access many more mortgage deals from hundreds of suppliers (not just 3 banks).  Some of the deals they can access aren't available on the high-street regardless of the number of banks you go to.  Branches have to be really conservative and cautious because a mortgage default looks really bad on their books, so a broker can help get more borrowing if needed.  Finally, I was in the odd situation where I sat in a branch of my local bank as an existing mortgage customer and he offered x rate, and then I went through a broker who could access a lower rate with the same bank.

frugledoc

• Bristles
« Reply #1954 on: March 04, 2014, 03:21:16 AM »
Not using a whole of market broker could lose them thousands a year easily.

If the three banks they go to are not offering market leading deals the interest rate could vary by 3%

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #1955 on: March 04, 2014, 04:11:22 AM »
One of my co-workers eats at restaurants everyday because he "doesn't know how to cook". OMG!
I am not weird, I am a limited edition.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1956 on: March 04, 2014, 04:40:32 AM »
Not using a whole of market broker could lose them thousands a year easily.

If the three banks they go to are not offering market leading deals the interest rate could vary by 3%

Maybe this is a us vs uk thing.  No way in the us a bank would be 3% off a broker.  All lenders are basically fronts for Fannie Mae anyways.... Almost every mortgage is sold within a few weeks.

But thanks for the input.   I'll have to verify my assumptions above.  Those have been gleaned rom the intarwebs and may very well be incorrect.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1957 on: March 04, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
This is a GOOD overheard at work story! After telling my boss & coworkers how much I love using spreadsheets, my boss came into work today to tell me he set up a spreadsheet to track his expenses! Yay!

wakkowarner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1958 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
For hangovers, drink some coconut water before you go to bed.

I was going to suggest this too, glad to see others know this trick.  It works great.  Main reason is that hangovers are due to dehydration, and coconut water is a fantastic hydrator!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1959 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
^ so is water...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1960 on: March 04, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
yeah but I find that I need electrolytes or I'm just gonna pee that water right back out. hence coconut water/gatorade/electrolyte capsules, for hangovers or rehydrating after sweating a lot

(sorry, totally off-topic)

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1961 on: March 04, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
Perhaps my youthful liver will need it in the future, but for now I'm good with the tap :)

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #1962 on: March 04, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »
Yesterday had a conversation with a girl who works for me excitedly telling me how she just sunk her ass $27,000 in debt for a 2013 Ford Edge Limited Edition that she will be driving alone - even though her husband works in the same building!  Today had another guy who works for me tell me about what a great deal he got on his $1600 washer/dryer set - WTF!?!  That thing better do more than wash & dry my clothes (if you know what I mean).

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1963 on: March 04, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
Yesterday had a conversation with a girl who works for me excitedly telling me how she just sunk her ass $27,000 in debt for a 2013 Ford Edge Limited Edition that she will be driving alone - even though her husband works in the same building!  Today had another guy who works for me tell me about what a great deal he got on his $1600 washer/dryer set - WTF!?!  That thing better do more than wash & dry my clothes (if you know what I mean).

I think I know what you mean. But I thought that the robotics necessary to sort and fold clothing was way more than $1600. I doubt it was that great of a deal.

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #1964 on: March 04, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
Yesterday had a conversation with a girl who works for me excitedly telling me how she just sunk her ass $27,000 in debt for a 2013 Ford Edge Limited Edition that she will be driving alone - even though her husband works in the same building!

How timely. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/americans-borrow-record-amounts-buy-autos-n43906

She is perfectly average according to this article.

I can't imagine borrowing 27k for a car.  I only borrowed twice that for my house.  Although I imagine I'm not as averse to living out of my car as many people borrowing 27k one are.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1965 on: March 04, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
yeah but I find that I need electrolytes or I'm just gonna pee that water right back out. hence coconut water/gatorade/electrolyte capsules, for hangovers or rehydrating after sweating a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Q-yNNu-tM
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:57:28 PM by dragoncar »

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #1966 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »
Yesterday had a conversation with a girl who works for me excitedly telling me how she just sunk her ass $27,000 in debt for a 2013 Ford Edge Limited Edition that she will be driving alone - even though her husband works in the same building!

How timely. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/americans-borrow-record-amounts-buy-autos-n43906

She is perfectly average according to this article.

I can't imagine borrowing 27k for a car.  I only borrowed twice that for my house.  Although I imagine I'm not as averse to living out of my car as many people borrowing 27k one are.

Anyone else find these things horrifying?

Quote from: article
According to Experian, a record 20 percent of all new car auto loans in the fourth quarter were more than six years in length.
and
Quote from: article
The average transaction price—or the amount buyers are paying at dealerships—climbed 1.9 percent to $32,160 in February

That is just crazy!

mgreczyn

« Reply #1967 on: March 05, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Q-yNNu-tM
One of the most under appreciated movies ever made.  Probably hits way too close to home for most Americans for comfort.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1968 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
Coworker is finally selling is Porsche.  I naively thought "Wow, good for him; he can finally unlock that equity get something reasonable like an adult."  He's picking up his 2014 Dodge Challenger on Friday.

SpinGeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1969 on: March 05, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
Found out today that one of our managers bought packing tape for one of his remote tech guys. Why? Because they don't have a credit card and don't have $46 cash to buy tape, then wait 1-2 weeks for reimbursement. So the manager had to call Office Depot in another state and arrange for a pickup order on his own credit card.

Another coworker is dealing with a furniture company because the coffee table of his expensive suite of living room furniture is falling apart. They only want to refund him part of the cost of the messed-up table. He asked me what I would do in his place, and I told him that I'd go with the mismatched look, which is considered to be more stylish than all matchy-matchy. He got all O.O and I mentioned that none of our living room furniture was purchased at the same time or the same place, and our coffee table is my great-grandmother's steamer trunk.

ThermionicScott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
Coworker is finally selling is Porsche.  I naively thought "Wow, good for him; he can finally unlock that equity get something reasonable like an adult."  He's picking up his 2014 Dodge Challenger on Friday.

Maybe I need to limit the time I spend on this thread (and subforum) -- I'm starting to wonder if the "grown-up" is a mythical creature, whether they ever existed at all.  Most people just seem to plateau early in their maturation, but are allowed to make bigger and bigger choices as they age.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1971 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
"It cost you eight hundred dollars to get your furnace fixed? Man, I could never swing that. Who has that kind of money lying around?"

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #1972 on: March 05, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
When I first started scooting to work after scrapping the 2nd car:

"Man, I just traded up trucks and refinanced.  Now my payment is only $250 a month, and it's a little better on gas.  Really only costs me about $600 a month to drive it.  If I don't trade up this time it should be paid off in 5 years."

Me:  I paid 1500 cash for my scoot.  it gets 65mpg (note, this was a smaller and oft abused 50cc), I don't put plates on it, and the insurance is $100 a year for full coverage.

Now, this gent does use a truck, perhaps 15x a year, so, totally justified, right?  :P

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1973 on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
A coworker upon learning I don't watch television or movies: "Wait, but what do you do?!?!"

Oh I don't know, work, freelance, knit, cook, read, bake, clean, socialize? I have more stuff I want to do than I have time for by a factor of ten!

I unfortunately do waste too much time on TV/movies, but your last two sentences really resonated with me. I get so confused when people say they're "bored." what?!? other than the obvious exception of being trapped in a boring meeting or lecture, I haven't been bored since I was probably 12. there is SO MUCH SHIT TO DO all the time!!! and most of it I like to do/it's interesting! how can you be BORED?!

spedleysam

• Bristles
« Reply #1974 on: March 06, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »
A coworker upon learning I don't watch television or movies: "Wait, but what do you do?!?!"

Oh I don't know, work, freelance, knit, cook, read, bake, clean, socialize? I have more stuff I want to do than I have time for by a factor of ten!

I unfortunately do waste too much time on TV/movies, but your last two sentences really resonated with me. I get so confused when people say they're "bored." what?!? other than the obvious exception of being trapped in a boring meeting or lecture, I haven't been bored since I was probably 12. there is SO MUCH SHIT TO DO all the time!!! and most of it I like to do/it's interesting! how can you be BORED?!

I learned to make my own fun when I was a kid. If I complained I was bored, my mother would give me chores.

haha yes this!  Although...if I visit home for more than 5 days this still happens to me!  Then my mom tells me to go home :P

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1975 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:39 AM »
One of the most under appreciated movies ever made.  Probably hits way too close to home for most Americans for comfort.

Plus it's got electrolytes. Great movie.
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #1976 on: March 06, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »

This!

It's amazing how many things we can do when we aren't sitting in front of the toob!
This is a test. This is only a test. If it had been an actual debt emergency, the sound of screaming would have been followed by running around with hair on fire.

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1977 on: March 07, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »

I've known a number of people who were concerned that they wouldn't know what to do with their time when they retired.  Like you, I could retire now, and I reckon that I still wouldn't have enough time to get around to all those interesting things I'd like to do!

mikecorayer

« Reply #1978 on: March 07, 2014, 02:47:20 AM »
I've known a number of people who were concerned that they wouldn't know what to do with their time when they retired.  Like you, I could retire now, and I reckon that I still wouldn't have enough time to get around to all those interesting things I'd like to do!

Absolutely. I took a year off from my job last year and it seemed like all I heard was "don't you get bored?" or some variant of an incredulous "what do you do all day?" implying I couldn't possibly find enough to do without having a full-time job. Of course, this line of questioning was second only to some variant of "what about money?"

I, however, felt that I never had nearly enough time for all the things I wanted to do; books I wanted to read, skills I wanted to learn, people I wanted to spend time with, etc. etc. etc.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #1979 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
I work for an electric utility. I was out in the field doing some work in a company vehicle, with the company logo on the side. I pulled up in front of a house in kind of a poor neighborhood. A lady opened the front door and asked if I was going to shut her power off. She said she would pay her bill right that minute if it meant not shutting her off. I assured her that I was not there to shut off her power.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #1980 on: March 07, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
If I hear "taxmas" from my cube neighbor one more time, I might hurl.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1981 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
I work for an electric utility. I was out in the field doing some work in a company vehicle, with the company logo on the side. I pulled up in front of a house in kind of a poor neighborhood. A lady opened the front door and asked if I was going to shut her power off. She said she would pay her bill right that minute if it meant not shutting her off. I assured her that I was not there to shut off her power.

This is really sad. I get variations all the time at work, usually from parents who can't afford art lessons or activities for their kids. If I know the situation (small, small town) I do what I can to make sure that kid gets help. But most of the time it is two working parent households making well over 6 figures (sometimes each) who's cheques bounce, or who has to wait for the next paycheque to put their kid in a $7.00 class. About all I can do is fit financial literacy and life skills into lessons under the guise of "art" and hope the kids turn out better then their parents.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1982 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
^ so is water...
you mean water, like, from the toilet?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1983 on: March 07, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
One of my co-workers eats at restaurants everyday because he "doesn't know how to cook". OMG!

Wow, I hear moms say this and I think, then what do you eat? I guess I just don't get it, it's not hard. I'm no gourmet chef but I can cook a lot of great meals from scratch.

nyxst

• Bristles
« Reply #1984 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »

^ so is water...

Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1985 on: March 07, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

^ so is water...

Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

^I love Costco... that's where I went to law school

nyxst

• Bristles
« Reply #1986 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
Man, now I need to watch it again :) awesome movie!

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1987 on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
I get so confused when people say they're "bored." what?!? other than the obvious exception of being trapped in a boring meeting or lecture, I haven't been bored since I was probably 12. there is SO MUCH SHIT TO DO all the time!!! and most of it I like to do/it's interesting! how can you be BORED?!

Damn right!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1988 on: March 08, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
I get so confused when people say they're "bored." what?!? other than the obvious exception of being trapped in a boring meeting or lecture, I haven't been bored since I was probably 12. there is SO MUCH SHIT TO DO all the time!!! and most of it I like to do/it's interesting! how can you be BORED?!

Damn right!

Agreed. Oh and long haul flights are pretty boring too, books and movies are only entertaining for the first 12 hours or so ;-)

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #1989 on: March 09, 2014, 03:16:02 AM »
As I passed two coworkers maybe in their early 50s on my way out of work the other day, they were speculating about winning the lottery. Cw1 was saying she didn't need $200 million, that hell even $500,000 was all she'd need to get by on.

Cw1 turned to me and wistfully asked, "Do you ever think about what you would do with $500,000?"

I was super awkward about it, but at least I didn't tell the truth. She's on approximately the same salary as me, and I'll easily hit $500,000 in liquid investments some time in 2015 by, you know, saving it...
'Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the world.' --Archimedes

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1990 on: March 09, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
Cw1 turned to me and wistfully asked, "Do you ever think about what you would do with $500,000?"

All the time...

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1991 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
From a co-worker who just bought an enormous, very, very expensive house and decorated it from scratch with all new furniture and art (all bought with a HELOC) and who now says that she can't retire because her (grown) children cost too much money:

Me: I'm hoping to retire very soon.

Her: Retire?

Me: Well, we're saving our pennies and working on paying off the house.

Her: Well we're out of debt now.

Me (confused look): Except for the house?

Her: Yes. We did something very smart! We took all our debts and rolled them into the mortgage on the new house. Now we're out of debt.

Me: Except for the house.

Her: Well, yes. Except for the house.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1992 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
From a co-worker who just bought an enormous, very, very expensive house and decorated it from scratch with all new furniture and art (all bought with a HELOC) and who now says that she can't retire because her (grown) children cost too much money:

Me: I'm hoping to retire very soon.

Her: Retire?

Me: Well, we're saving our pennies and working on paying off the house.

Her: Well we're out of debt now.

Me (confused look): Except for the house?

Her: Yes. We did something very smart! We took all our debts and rolled them into the mortgage on the new house. Now we're out of debt.

Me: Except for the house.

Her: Well, yes. Except for the house.

Oh boy, I get that too, "well we have no debt..... except the house and student loans, but I don't really consider those debts"

I wonder if your creditors consider those debts, it just boggles my mind.

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #1993 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
"I need to buy a new car and pay it off before I can retire." 

Literally... they are retirement-eligible right now.  They have a working car that they pretty much only use to get to/from work.  But they "need" to finance a shiny new car and work through a few years of payments before they feel free to stop working. 
No one's yet explained to me exactly what's so great
about slaving 50 years away on something that you hate
About meekly shuffling down the path of mediocrity
If that's your road, then take it; but it's not the road for me.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #1994 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
When I flew from NYC to Kuala Lumpur I knit an entire pair of socks. The stewardesses got a kick out of it.

Woo!  I'm flying from Seattle to Nova Scotia next month, and I reeeeeally need something to distract me (I'm a nervous flyer).  I'd not considered taking my knitting - what a great idea!

This is a test. This is only a test. If it had been an actual debt emergency, the sound of screaming would have been followed by running around with hair on fire.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1995 on: March 10, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
When I flew from NYC to Kuala Lumpur I knit an entire pair of socks. The stewardesses got a kick out of it.

Woo!  I'm flying from Seattle to Nova Scotia next month, and I reeeeeally need something to distract me (I'm a nervous flyer).  I'd not considered taking my knitting - what a great idea!

Just be careful, if you run into a TSA agent who's a fan of the Wizard of Oz series they may think you're planning on staging a coup with those knitting needles.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1996 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
I just started a pair of socks yesterday, but I think someone could swim to Kuala Lumpur before I'll get them done...

I've never had a problem with needles US/Canada/Europe myself, but my SIL had her circs ripped from her socks flying out of Finland.  I won't fly with expensive needles, and put in a lifeline before going through security, just in case.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1997 on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
I've flown with my cross-stitch before (even accidentally have taken the razor I used to use to cut my thread through security).  Now i just thread an extra needle or two near the zipper of my bag on the theory it'll be harder for them to pick out and object to it.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1998 on: March 10, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »
I've never brought knitting on a flight, but I've considered it. I've finished several scarves on roadtrips, after all.  When I was poking around this site had some good pointers http://www.freshstitches.com/are-knitting-needles-allowed-on-airplane-flights-advice-international-travel/  I especially liked the ideas of putting the needles in a pencil case and bringing a printout of the TSA, etc page that specifies they're allowed (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/transporting-knitting-needles-and-needlepoint).

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1999 on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
^ so is water...

Hahahaha.  I can talk to the plants, and they said they want water.