Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 7593648 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19450 on: December 17, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »
Me: How was your vacation [to your second home a 4 hour plane ride from here that you do not rent out]?
Coworker's unemployed spouse: Great. I upgraded my ride!
Me: Oh?
Coworker's spouse: Yep my Audi model *something* had too many miles, so I got a model *something else.*
Another coworker: Oh that's great, because you get a great deal on 2018 cars at the end of the year!
Me: [Speechless that anyone would buy a brand new car.] Um, so how did you get it back here?
Coworker's spouse: Oh no, it's staying at the [empty] house in the garage.
Me: Oh, what are you doing with the old car? [Imagining a luxury car would have some resale value.]
Coworker's spouse: [Confused.] No we're keeping it because it is still running.

---
I make the same amount of money as Coworker, and Audis cost like 50-75% of an annual salary.

Rode home on my bike carefree today...

Wait, so they bought a new car to replace the "old" one but kept the "old" car too? And then left both cars at their second home? So two fancy cars at a house they don't even live in?

Wtf, what do they have at their actual house?

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19451 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »
Coworker was showing off her iPhone X today. I live in China. The iPhone X comes with a 20% import tax since it is considered a foreign good. The 256GB model is •9700 which is approx. $1500 USD.

Here's the kicker. My coworker earns approx. •4000 per month. She basically bought a new phone that cost more than two months salary. Her last phone was also an iPhone -- not sure which model because I don't pay much attention to phones in general but definitely newer than my 5s.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #19452 on: December 18, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
I live in China. The iPhone X comes with a 20% import tax since it is considered a foreign good.
Thatīs kind of hilarious.

She basically bought a new phone that cost more than two months salary.
Thatīs quite sad...

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19453 on: December 19, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Yeah, saw the movie. I wanted to see it before someone posts spoilers on Facebook and thought I was going to need to pay for it but found myself able to use my MoviePass card to buy a ticket an hour before a showing.

I got MoviePass specifically for Star Wars. I've seen it twice, will see it again this weekend and probably Christmas Day and probably other days. It's very possible for me to see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings 7-10 times in theaters. I love MoviePass. Will cancel it in a month or so.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19454 on: December 19, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
Sibley yeah I've seen multiple people post that they've used MoviePass to see it multiple times. I'm planning on seeing it a second if not third time in theaters (once will be at the second run theater which has a MASSIVE SCREEN).

You're free to cancel your MoviePass but keep in mind that they may not necessary let you back if you decide you want it in the summer.

Going to AMC costs more than $10 a ticket so the way I see it, if I see more than 1 movie a month on average I'm ahead. I was looking at 2018's movie schedule and there are at least a dozen movies that I would pay  for full price to see (Avengers, Red Sparrow, Black Panthers to name a few), so I will be keeping my membership. In addition, there are other movies that I'm lukewarm about but as I won't be out of pocket I may see (or if I'm with friends and they want to go, I can be a good sport and not complain about their film selection).

There may be a month or 2 where I don't see a movie but oh well, I like paying $10/month a movie and I don't want to bleed MoviePass to death.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #19455 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »
Backstory: we would normally be paid on Dec 28th but due to end of year accounting issues, our payroll will be delayed until January 2nd.

I was joking with a coworker about ways to benefit from the tax bill (try to make a million dollars next year or buy a private jet for sweet deductions). Then I mentioned that I was going to make an early mortgage payment for January at the end of December since I likely will not itemize for 2018 with the larger standard deduction. She looked at me a little weird and said she was actually not going to be able to make her mortgage payment on time on January 1 because of the delayed payroll, since she "lives hand to mouth." She makes over $100k. Oops - good reminder why I should never discuss personal finances at work, it just gets awkward.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19456 on: December 19, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
Yeah, saw the movie. I wanted to see it before someone posts spoilers on Facebook and thought I was going to need to pay for it but found myself able to use my MoviePass card to buy a ticket an hour before a showing.

I got MoviePass specifically for Star Wars. I've seen it twice, will see it again this weekend and probably Christmas Day and probably other days. It's very possible for me to see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings 7-10 times in theaters. I love MoviePass. Will cancel it in a month or so.

Saw SW last night with my teen. Was unexpectedly really good. Alot more story to connect with than in previous episodes. Got our money's worth so to speak.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19457 on: December 20, 2017, 01:12:02 AM »

Saw SW last night with my teen. Was unexpectedly really good. Alot more story to connect with than in previous episodes. Got our money's worth so to speak.

We will probably buy the DVD when it is on sale in a year or two...
If not someone gets the idea to go to a cinema during the Christmas period.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19458 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
That's what I usually do - just wait until it is ~$10 on DVD and own it. We were a bit impulsive.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #19459 on: December 20, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »
Sibley yeah I've seen multiple people post that they've used MoviePass to see it multiple times. I'm planning on seeing it a second if not third time in theaters (once will be at the second run theater which has a MASSIVE SCREEN).

You're free to cancel your MoviePass but keep in mind that they may not necessary let you back if you decide you want it in the summer.

Going to AMC costs more than $10 a ticket so the way I see it, if I see more than 1 movie a month on average I'm ahead. I was looking at 2018's movie schedule and there are at least a dozen movies that I would pay  for full price to see (Avengers, Red Sparrow, Black Panthers to name a few), so I will be keeping my membership. In addition, there are other movies that I'm lukewarm about but as I won't be out of pocket I may see (or if I'm with friends and they want to go, I can be a good sport and not complain about their film selection).

There may be a month or 2 where I don't see a movie but oh well, I like paying $10/month a movie and I don't want to bleed MoviePass to death.

Is it the second-run theater in hopkins? I haven't been there, and figured the second-run theaters all had smaller screens and older tech

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19460 on: December 20, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »

Is it the second-run theater in hopkins? I haven't been there, and figured the second-run theaters all had smaller screens and older tech

No, this one is in Longfellow. It's called Riverview Theater. It's designed to be like the 1950s ambiance. They serve popcorn with real butter and tickets are like $3, though you should be aware that the place is cash only.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19461 on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »

I typically only see 1 movie a year in the theater. So unless there's another Star Wars movie coming out this year, I'll be done for a while.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19462 on: December 20, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Told my 11 yo that he and daddy should wait until it's out on DVD to watch it.

Got a really quick "look", and it honestly took him about 15 seconds before he said "ha ha".

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19463 on: December 20, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
Me: How was your vacation [to your second home a 4 hour plane ride from here that you do not rent out]?
Coworker's unemployed spouse: Great. I upgraded my ride!
Me: Oh?
Coworker's spouse: Yep my Audi model *something* had too many miles, so I got a model *something else.*
Another coworker: Oh that's great, because you get a great deal on 2018 cars at the end of the year!
Me: [Speechless that anyone would buy a brand new car.] Um, so how did you get it back here?
Coworker's spouse: Oh no, it's staying at the [empty] house in the garage.
Me: Oh, what are you doing with the old car? [Imagining a luxury car would have some resale value.]
Coworker's spouse: [Confused.] No we're keeping it because it is still running.

---
I make the same amount of money as Coworker, and Audis cost like 50-75% of an annual salary.

Rode home on my bike carefree today...

Wait, so they bought a new car to replace the "old" one but kept the "old" car too? And then left both cars at their second home? So two fancy cars at a house they don't even live in?

Wtf, what do they have at their actual house?

I think i may have posted this on here after i heard it, but this reminded me of earlier in the year i was working on a job site running some equipment near a (not busy) road with lots of empty parallel parking spaces nearby when a truck pulled up and parked right next to where i was working.  The guy got out and I gave him a heads up that his truck may get some dust/debris on it parking so close to where we were working.  He said "no worries, this is my bush truck".  His "Bush Truck" was an almost brand new F350 with chrome wheels, 4 doors and like every option.  Can't imagine how much his idea of a "Show Truck" would cost...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19464 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
Friend mentioned that he bought a 15 year old convertible from someone here that had 5800 miles on it. Good for him, the previous owner prob not as much.

This made me think of the book 'Matilda.' Wonder if the guy selling it said that it was owned by an old lady 'who only drove it to the grocery store once a week.'

Jordie64

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19465 on: December 22, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
I have a few from just today!

1. I know we have heard this one a lot but I will mention it anyway. Two of my coworkers were going to go buy coffee (even though we have TWO free pots of it already made in the kitchen) and they asked if I wanted any tea (they know I usually don't drink coffee). I said no as I JUST had made myself a FREE cup of tea from the kitchen. And they do this every single day. Why?? It's free ten feet from your cubicle and free. Why would I ever go buy tea when I can get it free from the kitchen?

2. Another one of my coworkers has a few plants on her desk. Apparently the plant guy who comes and waters the plants in the lobby (yes, they pay someone to water their plants) told her that her plants should not have tap water and ONLY BOTTLED WATER. So, today she went across the street and bought a large bottle of WATER for her plants. SMH..... not to mention that we also have a cooler that dispenses FREE filtered water. And she wonders why she never has any money. Note that I also have two plants on my desk that only get the free filtered water from the cooler and they are doing just fine.

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19466 on: December 22, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
I have a few from just today!

2. Another one of my coworkers has a few plants on her desk. Apparently the plant guy who comes and waters the plants in the lobby (yes, they pay someone to water their plants) told her that her plants should not have tap water and ONLY BOTTLED WATER. So, today she went across the street and bought a large bottle of WATER for her plants. SMH..... not to mention that we also have a cooler that dispenses FREE filtered water. And she wonders why she never has any money. Note that I also have two plants on my desk that only get the free filtered water from the cooler and they are doing just fine.

Clearly they are dying on the inside...

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19467 on: December 23, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »

My co-worker has a tree in our office. He said it was just a small plant when he got it, over ten years ago. Now, it's five feet tall and doing well. As far as I can tell, the only liquids it gets are leftover tea and coffee dregs that people pour into the pot.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19468 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
That plant will reach out and accost someone one of these days. Old coffee? Yep surely the route to plant genetic alterations and the beginning of a Marvel Superhero movie.

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19469 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
That plant will reach out and accost someone one of these days. Old coffee? Yep surely the route to plant genetic alterations and the beginning of a Marvel Superhero movie.

as goodguy/girl or villan?

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19470 on: December 24, 2017, 01:36:24 AM »
I had a plant once that was watered like that and liked coffee but didn't like tea. Honestly. You could see it perk up on coffee days and not on tea days.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19471 on: December 24, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Work trees - there was a tree in the hallway where I last worked - it started going downhill when a co-worker got sick, apparently she was the only one who watered it.  So I started watering it and it was fine the whole time I was there.  I haven't thought of it since I retired, but I wonder who is watering it now?
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Penn42

• Stubble
« Reply #19472 on: December 24, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
This has certainly been mentioned before, but I'm not gonna read all 390 pages, haha.  Coworkers are all big into hunting.  But I think they're actually bigger into the 9 months of off season when they all buy new rifles and scopes and trail cameras.  All that cost more than my freakin' car.  And then some of them have the gall to claim it's cheaper to feed their family that way.  I'm sure it would be, but not when you're buying the latest and greatest $3000 scope and whatnot. 

Also, the boss took a day off from work a few weeks ago to drive a state over to buy a third... THIRD... trailer.  Don't ask me why he needed another. 
Sharing In The Groove

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19473 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
So you guys are saying I need to buy Starbucks for my plants?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19474 on: December 24, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

Yes. Ask for the Plantaccino. It is their special drink for plants.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #19475 on: December 24, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

Yes. Ask for the Plantaccino. It is their special drink for plants.
+1. Can confirm. At my local *$ locations it is usually kept bagged and ready by the side door to-go. It's free at some stores, and a $1/bag at others. Way better than that Pike's Place Pitiful Plonk por Pissants.
Signature worthless. I'm worth more dead than alive. Wife and kids will collect. Or Uncle Sam will, you can rely on Him.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19476 on: December 24, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
This has certainly been mentioned before, but I'm not gonna read all 390 pages, haha.  Coworkers are all big into hunting.  But I think they're actually bigger into the 9 months of off season when they all buy new rifles and scopes and trail cameras.  All that cost more than my freakin' car.  And then some of them have the gall to claim it's cheaper to feed their family that way.  I'm sure it would be, but not when you're buying the latest and greatest $3000 scope and whatnot. 

Also, the boss took a day off from work a few weeks ago to drive a state over to buy a third... THIRD... trailer.  Don't ask me why he needed another.

Hunting is definitely one of those activities that is usually either an inexpensive badass activity that saves money on groceries, or an astronomically expensive lifestyle-hobby that consumes vast amounts of time and money and produces some meat in the freezer as a microscopic side-note.  Fishing can be the same. 

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19477 on: December 26, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
Friend mentioned that he bought a 15 year old convertible from someone here that had 5800 miles on it. Good for him, the previous owner prob not as much.

This made me think of the book 'Matilda.' Wonder if the guy selling it said that it was owned by an old lady 'who only drove it to the grocery store once a week.'

HA! Me too! Maybe it was sawdust in the engine.

Man, it's really a shame how racist Roald Dahl was. I still love his books and have been reading them to my kids but there's always a nagging feeling that I shouldn't be enjoying the Oompa Loompas and stuff.

APowers

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19478 on: December 27, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

HA! Me too! Maybe it was sawdust in the engine.

Man, it's really a shame how racist Roald Dahl was. I still love his books and have been reading them to my kids but there's always a nagging feeling that I shouldn't be enjoying the Oompa Loompas and stuff.

Not to sidetrack the overheard at work discussion, but I've never perceived Dahl to be racist (at least, not in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). I made a thread here, so we can talk about this without hijacking.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #19479 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I didn't see any accounting for snow, which would affect the mobility of both the zombies and the humans.

I'm going to continue to believe that dead frozen corpses would be unable to re-animate, thus allowing the winter months to give us some sort of reprieve from the virus.

I was reading the paper- I think his timelines are *very* short. Like, within 140 minutes short in some infection scenarios- That's literally how fast he expects it all to go to hell. It's not an optimistic paper (which he points out), but he mentioned he aimed for it to be truthful. Also, his diffusion equations already take into a count a slow, wandering shuffle of I believe 60-90ft/minute or so (was skimming), so snow might not affect as much. Can a tireless person crawl more than a foot and a half per second over snow?

The theoretical effects of cold were explored well in the sourcebooks the pencil and paper RPG "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" explores a rather academic breakdown of the various zombie tropes- virus, radiation, cosmic rays (?) etc., along with a variety of powers that zombies can get. I mean, they pointed it out in Walking Dead- At some point, muscles decay so much; how the hell is the thing still moving? That's where you get into 'Magic' zombie territory, dungeons and dragons and the like- They move 'Just 'cause'. So the frozen argument works well with the 'Viral zombie' and the 'viral, still living, rage human speed zombie', but not well for 'magic' or 'alien goo' or 'robot sci-fi' zombies...

But back to work shenanigans- Watching one of our co-op students go to lunch and spend $8-$12 every day after confessing to me that his total life spending is around $15K per year right now. He then stated that other than restaurants, he essentially spends money on nothing. Arguably, he's chosen his vice.

Which is sort of mustachian, except saving/paying down debt isn't part of the plan.

If you like a Halligan you are going to love adrians undead diary!
http://www.thechrisphilbrook.com/projects/adrians-undead-diary/

I'll check that out, thanks!
oops, it is actually The clock runs down (https://midnightscorner.wordpress.com/2017/12/26/the-clock-book-one-is-available/) which takes place in the same universe as Adrian's undead journal that features a halligan ..
http://financialfreedomsloth.com/

achieving financial freedom one lazy step at a time

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19480 on: December 27, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
Boss:  You know, you can get much more house if you were willing to drive another 30 minutes
Me:  Do you even know me?
It's not about money, it's about mindset

LuciusCaecilius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19481 on: December 27, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »

Hunting is definitely one of those activities that is usually either an inexpensive badass activity that saves money on groceries, or an astronomically expensive lifestyle-hobby that consumes vast amounts of time and money and produces some meat in the freezer as a microscopic side-note.  Fishing can be the same.

My outlay for hunting this year was the $20 license.  Then I've splurged a little and it'll be about $100 for processing (getting wieners, sausage, bologna, steaks, etc).  In years past, I did all the skinning/cutting and paid $.10 / lb to have the none steak/roast cuts ground into hamburger (nothing added).

Contrast this to my friend who probably spends half my salary (not kidding) on gear, excursions, guides, etc. 

cliner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19482 on: December 27, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
I haven't posted here since I first joined earlier this year, but I've been lurking these threads for a while. At my work, we have the usual: Coworkers drive their cars to wait in the drive-thru at the Starbucks across the street. A couple coworkers pack their lunches, but most drive to pick up a $7-10 meal almost every day. The usual stuff...

But there are two coworkers of mine that stand out to me. They're both great people and a pleasure to work with, but I can't help but cringe at some of their choices:

- Coworker A is a single mother of 5 kids. We've talked briefly about money in passing, so I know she's struggling earning just above minimum wage + some child support, but I haven't intruded much since she hasn't asked me. I only recommended setting up a budget with something like Mint and planning out each month's spending ahead of time, finding ways to cut spending, etc. She insists there's nothing she can cut from her expenses, but she admits she doesn't use a written budget. Regarding income, I feel for her, because our company isn't letting its employees work OT, so her only opportunity to earn extra income is a 2nd job.

Anyway, her old SUV was giving her lots of trouble, so she started shopping around for a replacement. I showed her how to price used cars on KBB/Edmunds/etc. so she doesn't end up overpaying. One day she rolls up in her replacement vehicle: a (admittedly, used) BMW x3. I didn't ask what (or how) she paid for it, not my business. First routine maintenance comes along, she said she had to pay $150 for an oil change. While I didn't give her a hard time for the car purchase, I did tell her she paid way too much for an oil change. She responded "It's because it's a BMW". AHHhhhh!!!

- Coworker B, at the same company. We're a little closer and have had longer talks about things like money, health, personal stuff, and she's more open to suggestions re: $$$. Anyway, she's working full time while taking night classes at community college. She lives with her mom to reduce expenses, but she is still taking out student loans for college. Also Coworker B says she's paying her friend $400 each month to borrow her car, and that "once its paid off, her friend will give the car to Coworker B". I told her that's a bad idea: 1) She's paying too much for a car & 2) the risk of her "friend" ripping her off. I can just see her coming in one day, crushed that the owner took the car back after all the money Coworker B put in to it. Anyway, Coworker B says she can't afford to save up for her own car. I asked her why, it should be doable in a few months since she works full time and pays no rent. She then admitted it's because she's loaning Coworker A $500/mo to pay for her apartment, says she'll get the money back in April when Coworker A gets her tax refund.

How can I (and should I) help? Especially Coworker B. She means well, but keeps doing dumb stuff with her money, like subsidizing Coworker A's luxury crossover. And she always has an excuse: "Well, I couldn't save any money this month because I got a parking ticket", or "I had to pay for my boyfriend's daughter's school clothes", or "like 5 of my cousins were in town so I had to spend all my money on groceries and taking them out to restaurants and movies and stuff".

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #19483 on: December 27, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »
Don't get involved unless they ask directly for your help.

Blackeagle

• Stubble
« Reply #19484 on: December 27, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »

My most recent hunting trip was definitely in the lifestyle-hobby category (expensive out of state elk tag, drive 1500 miles each way, etc.), but the experience of spending two weeks with a good friend and his family and hunting every day was truly great.

Despite the cost I think the trip may end up speeding up FIRE for me.  My friend lives off grid in rural Montana, just the sort of place that I aspire to after I hit FIRE.  Any time I need some more motivation to stay mustachian I think back to how wonderful that trip was and how great it would be to live that life full time.

cliner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19485 on: December 27, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
Don't get involved unless they ask directly for your help.

Got it!

Better Late

• Stubble
« Reply #19486 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
I haven't posted here since I first joined earlier this year, but I've been lurking these threads for a while. At my work, we have the usual: Coworkers drive their cars to wait in the drive-thru at the Starbucks across the street. A couple coworkers pack their lunches, but most drive to pick up a $7-10 meal almost every day. The usual stuff...

But there are two coworkers of mine that stand out to me. They're both great people and a pleasure to work with, but I can't help but cringe at some of their choices:

- Coworker B, at the same company. We're a little closer and have had longer talks about things like money, health, personal stuff, and she's more open to suggestions re: $$$. Anyway, she's working full time while taking night classes at community college. She lives with her mom to reduce expenses, but she is still taking out student loans for college. Also Coworker B says she's paying her friend $400 each month to borrow her car, and that "once its paid off, her friend will give the car to Coworker B". I told her that's a bad idea: 1) She's paying too much for a car & 2) the risk of her "friend" ripping her off. I can just see her coming in one day, crushed that the owner took the car back after all the money Coworker B put in to it. Anyway, Coworker B says she can't afford to save up for her own car. I asked her why, it should be doable in a few months since she works full time and pays no rent. She then admitted it's because she's loaning Coworker A $500/mo to pay for her apartment, says she'll get the money back in April when Coworker A gets her tax refund.

How can I (and should I) help? Especially Coworker B. She means well, but keeps doing dumb stuff with her money, like subsidizing Coworker A's luxury crossover. And she always has an excuse: "Well, I couldn't save any money this month because I got a parking ticket", or "I had to pay for my boyfriend's daughter's school clothes", or "like 5 of my cousins were in town so I had to spend all my money on groceries and taking them out to restaurants and movies and stuff".
[/quote

she sounds like she could really benefit from learning about boundaries-I'm pretty sure there was a book mentioned on the forum on that topic.

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19487 on: December 28, 2017, 05:28:36 AM »

[/quote

she sounds like she could really benefit from learning about boundaries-I'm pretty sure there was a book mentioned on the forum on that topic.

The book "Boundaries" would be a great idea.....

Personally I would have blown a gasket if I was helping someone pay their rent (which I would never do ) and they showed up in a luxury car....

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19488 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
I do think it is too easy to get credit, and for a lot of people, it means getting in trouble, because the interest compounds. I also worry now that we are in the future losing our safety nets, particularly health care, that it is going to be more and more likely people will end up over their heads. I'm not sure what the solution is.

I still remember in the late 90's, just graduated from college, had a job, had a checking and savings account and I applied for a credit card, and I was turned down! Insufficient credit history. I had to open up a store credit card use it for a few months and apply again before I could qualify. Compared to now students entering college walk past tables with free tshirts and freebies so they will sign up for that credit card.
You have to have debt before they'll let you go into debt. When I graduated from college in 2011, with a job, nobody would give me a credit card. Then I bought a pickup truck with an auto loan co-signed by my dad (who has spectacular credit). (Pre-Mustache days, and I sold that truck after a year, but I still miss it.) I had no trouble getting the next credit card I applied for after that auto loan.

Wonder why both your experiences are so different from mine.  I went to college in 1997, same time partygypsy got out, and I got a bunch of free tshirts.  Had to do a lot of CC cancellations when I ran my credit report for the first time 10 years later.  Had no credit to start with.

You get the first credit card WHILE in college. Approval is easier than after graduation for most. I got my free T-shirt credit card in 1994.

Why the heck would you do CC cancellations unless there were annual fees attached and the cards couldn't be converted to no fee? Length of credit history helps a lot with credit score.  I am THRILLED that I still have 3 cards which are 20+ years old. Been churning for year, and it keeps up my average age of accounts.
Credit card signup bonuses:

Chase 4 ways!
Freedom: $150 bonus on $500 spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/03KSQF2G5T
CSP: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/UW0KPNQ0C6
CSR: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19/AOWAI3BZ35
CIP (business): 80k UR ($800) on $5k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/734C6BFZO3

Amex Platinum: 60k MR on $5k spend (try to get targeted for a 100k offer instead) http://refer.amex.us/THOMASCt2z
Amex Hilton Ascend: 100k HH points on $2k spend + Gold status http://refer.amex.us/THOMASYKOS

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19489 on: December 30, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
Coworker is displeased with the MPG of their daily driver SUV.

Coworker lives so close to work that they could walk or bicycle so the miles driven weekly must be low.

Coworker admits the vehicle is otherwise fine and will last many years. Plans to buy something new or newish.

Coworker plans to give the vehicle to the child going away to college who will presumably be driving alot more than coworker and the coworker will still be paying for the fuel it consumes.

That's some fuzzy logic. Don't know why coworker shares this info with me. I never asked. ;)

I have a coworker with three adult children who are all MDs (one is still in residency, but is making $60k.)

Coworker has "no money" - because he's always doing stuff like buying a car (on credit) then giving the perfectly good 5 year old car to one of the kids.  Somehow he and his wife always have at least 3 cars. He still pays the cell phone bills for all of them. And car insurance for 2 of them. He still subsidizes rent for the one in residency. He paid off some smed school loans for one of them by taking out a 401k loan...

His house is vastly oversized for empty-nesters, even if one of the kids came back for awhile. 3,000+ square feet, 5 bedrooms plus office, etc. He's paying nearly $10k a year in property tax. But he won't sell it. Despite there being plenty of very nice smaller, cheaper places nearer to work.

He has to put his property taxes on a credit card every year, despite saying he is adamantly against having debt. And he won't even get new ones for the signup bonuses. It's not hard to find a card with a decent signup bonus and 12+months interest-free. But his existing card is low interest! (so he says...)
Credit card signup bonuses:

Chase 4 ways!
Freedom: $150 bonus on $500 spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/03KSQF2G5T
CSP: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/UW0KPNQ0C6
CSR: 50k UR ($500) on $4k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19/AOWAI3BZ35
CIP (business): 80k UR ($800) on $5k spend https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/734C6BFZO3

Amex Platinum: 60k MR on $5k spend (try to get targeted for a 100k offer instead) http://refer.amex.us/THOMASCt2z
Amex Hilton Ascend: 100k HH points on $2k spend + Gold status http://refer.amex.us/THOMASYKOS

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19490 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »
Why the heck would you do CC cancellations unless there were annual fees attached and the cards couldn't be converted to no fee? Length of credit history helps a lot with credit score.  I am THRILLED that I still have 3 cards which are 20+ years old. Been churning for year, and it keeps up my average age of accounts.

Eh, I don't need half a dozen cards I never used, don't have the card for anymore, and didn't even remember existed.  If nothing else they're a security/fraud liability.  I still have one card from college (my discover card) that I kept because I used it.  I have 2 credit cards total and a credit score of 800+.  Having more credit cards isn't going to raise my score any more (lack of a recent installment loan is the main drag on my score).  But really it's just a matter of financial tidiness.  I don't like clutter, neither in the home nor in my finances.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19491 on: December 31, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
You can put your property taxes on a credit card?? I didn’t even realize that was a thing.
"It'll be great!"

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19492 on: December 31, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
You can put your property taxes on a credit card?? I didnít even realize that was a thing.

Assuming your tax collector's office accepts credit cards payments, yes. There is sometimes a fee however.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #19493 on: January 01, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
You can put your property taxes on a credit card?? I didnít even realize that was a thing.

Assuming your tax collector's office accepts credit cards payments, yes. There is sometimes a fee however.
If i pay property taxes for year 20xy in November of the same year, I get a 4% discount. But putting it on a credit card costs 3.5%. It a wash, only useful for churning credit card bonuses.
Signature worthless. I'm worth more dead than alive. Wife and kids will collect. Or Uncle Sam will, you can rely on Him.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19494 on: January 02, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »

Our county charged a 2.35% fee.  Unfortunately, we can't beat that in cash back and were in between opening a new card for travel hacking purposes.  Oh well, I'll be getting ~20% ROI on that in just a couple months.
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19495 on: January 02, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »

Our county charged a 2.35% fee.  Unfortunately, we can't beat that in cash back and were in between opening a new card for travel hacking purposes.  Oh well, I'll be getting ~20% ROI on that in just a couple months.

With my Chase Freedom I get 1.5%.  With the CSR that's worth 2.25% in travel.  So on $100 with a 2.35% fee, I'm getting 2.25%*102.35 = $2.30 in travel and at least 1 month float.  Even in savings, the measly 1% interest makes up the difference.

So it's not really worth the trouble, but not as terrible as it might seem.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19496 on: January 02, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »

With my Chase Freedom I get 1.5%.  With the CSR that's worth 2.25% in travel.  So on $100 with a 2.35% fee, I'm getting 2.25%*102.35 = $2.30 in travel and at least 1 month float.  Even in savings, the measly 1% interest makes up the difference.

Yeah, we just did the e-check thing this year.  We're changing filing status next year so we will go through this whole process AGAIN next December - I'll be sure to have a CIP or something with a $5k MSR to pay with and get a much better bang for my buck.
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19497 on: January 02, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »

The only time paying a fee really makes sense is if you need to meet aminimum spend requirement to get a bonus.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19498 on: January 02, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »

The only time paying a fee really makes sense is if you need to meet aminimum spend requirement to get a bonus.

Yeah I just did that to meet minimum spend. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19499 on: January 03, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
This guy at work that's been here for a few months... you want to feel bad for him but he keep digging himself into a hole.

Before he got this job, he was working minimum wage at a grocery store after losing his old job.  He got behind on his bills and trashed his credit.  He lives alone because he only recently moved to the area, and his entire support network is across the country.  He drove a janky-but-reliable bumperless old Accord that made funny noises.

After getting this job, he tries to catch up and get his shit together, but he still does moronic things like pay $20 to have Jimmy Johns delivered for lunch five days a week, buy a roughly $2k gaming laptop for no reason, and buy the new iPad AND iPhone the week they come out.

Recently he put in a couple weeks of overtime and then quit the grocery store job.  I assume he's paid off some stuff and things are looking up.  But apparently he's still literally crying every day in his apartment over his student loans and credit card debt.

Over the weekend he bought a 2013 Infiniti.  He has no money.  His credit is complete garbage.  I don't even want to know what his monthly payment, interest rate, or term is.  It makes me queasy.  But he's just excited about the car.

He's a nice guy, and I want to feel bad for him, but he's making it really, really hard.