Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252807 times)

ohsnap

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19250 on: December 13, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Holy cow, the total cost of this is $660 including the shipping.  Over the course of a year, you get less than 1.5 lb every month for a total of 14lb, 5 oz, which comes to about $46/lb.

Link for any of you who want to order: :D
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/twelve-months-of-cheese-hol-17/?pkey=cappetizers-cheese&isx=0.0.1976.6666259765625

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19251 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Holy cow, the total cost of this is $660 including the shipping.  Over the course of a year, you get less than 1.5 lb every month for a total of 14lb, 5 oz, which comes to about $46/lb.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/twelve-months-of-cheese-hol-17/?pkey=cappetizers-cheese&isx=0.0.1976.6666259765625

Just noticed, you don't even get to pick what cheese you get. I couldn't pay that much money for something when I don't even get to pick it out! And I'm a ridiculous cheese person - I drive out to a cheese factory special to get it like a proper cheesehead! And it's still ridiculous!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19252 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »

I wonder if the free shipping code works on that. There's also a code for 25% off $1000 so you could get two years of cheese for just $750! (Is anyone else crying inside that someone, somewhere, thought of and implemented a percent-off-$1000 promo code on a website?)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #19253 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
You are all.missing the fact that the first month comes with crostini and jelly!

I wonder how many people who order this are missing out that most months do not.

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19254 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
Me: How was your vacation [to your second home a 4 hour plane ride from here that you do not rent out]?
Coworker's unemployed spouse: Great. I upgraded my ride!
Me: Oh?
Coworker's spouse: Yep my Audi model *something* had too many miles, so I got a model *something else.*
Another coworker: Oh that's great, because you get a great deal on 2018 cars at the end of the year!
Me: [Speechless that anyone would buy a brand new car.] Um, so how did you get it back here?
Coworker's spouse: Oh no, it's staying at the [empty] house in the garage.
Me: Oh, what are you doing with the old car? [Imagining a luxury car would have some resale value.]
Coworker's spouse: [Confused.] No we're keeping it because it is still running.

---
I make the same amount of money as Coworker, and Audis cost like 50-75% of an annual salary.

Rode home on my bike carefree today...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19255 on: December 13, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
Friend mentioned that he bought a 15 year old convertible from someone here that had 5800 miles on it. Good for him, the previous owner prob not as much.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19256 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:52 PM »

I wonder if the free shipping code works on that. There's also a code for 25% off $1000 so you could get two years of cheese for just $750! (Is anyone else crying inside that someone, somewhere, thought of and implemented a percent-off-$1000 promo code on a website?)

Also, you save $0.10 if you buy three orders of "Four Months of European Cheese" at $199.95 each, but then you don't get 12 different kinds of cheeses, which may be important to some people. :P

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19257 on: December 14, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
We have a new co-worker that is still in her probation period. She doesn't like the job and has decided to leave. During probation period only a one week notice is reqired for this, but she says she has to stay until the end of December because otherwise she doesn't have enough money to live.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19258 on: December 14, 2017, 03:49:44 AM »
We have a new co-worker that is still in her probation period. She doesn't like the job and has decided to leave. During probation period only a one week notice is reqired for this, but she says she has to stay until the end of December because otherwise she doesn't have enough money to live.

Wow!

IMO, if you don't have enough money to live, you don't have enough money to quit a job just because you don't like it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19259 on: December 14, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »

Also, you save $0.10 if you buy three orders of "Four Months of European Cheese" at $199.95 each, but then you don't get 12 different kinds of cheeses, which may be important to some people. :P

Maybe just go to the local grocery store and buy a bit of each flavor on the list. We have a couple good stores to choose from despite being a small town. Plenty of non-Kraft choices. And a person gets to keep the majority of their two hundred dollars.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19260 on: December 14, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »

Maybe just go to the local grocery store and buy a bit of each flavor on the list. We have a couple good stores to choose from despite being a small town. Plenty of non-Kraft choices. And a person gets to keep the majority of their two hundred dollars.

Buy a bit of each flavor on the list, then sell it online for 199.94 each

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19261 on: December 15, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »
The cheese club is an absolute bargain compared to the seventy dollar frozen mini pizza assortment. Williams-Sonoma is so incredibly effective at separating money from people who really shouldn't have it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19262 on: December 15, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
THIS is why we collectively can't get good raises. The boss and their spouse needs more money to spend on things in these catalogs!

We're screwed... ;)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19263 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/15/media/star-wars-hotel-galaxys-edge/index.html

Already heard a grown adult talking about "just can't wait to go".

This is what I expected would happen to SW after Disney bought Lucas: Star Wars fatigue

Its another reason to avoid advertising. The constant merchandising.

Will I see the movie? Someday. Not paying $$$ for the amusement park experience though. ;)

NAEByrd85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19264 on: December 15, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Coworker: So how long are you going to stay here (at the job)?
Me: No more than 10 years
Coworker: How many years do you have?
Me: 8.5 years
Coworker: You might as well stay 25 years and retire.
Me: uhmm an extra 15 years? As if it will go by fast? :/ No thats a long time
Coworker paused then said: well thats what im going to do...
Me: silent

Its sad that some people put more value on retirement/pension than they do their time.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19265 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/15/media/star-wars-hotel-galaxys-edge/index.html

Already heard a grown adult talking about "just can't wait to go".

This is what I expected would happen to SW after Disney bought Lucas: Star Wars fatigue

Its another reason to avoid advertising. The constant merchandising.

Will I see the movie? Someday. Not paying $$$ for the amusement park experience though. ;)
Was it me? Because I'm pretty sure the first day that resort opens up for bookings, my husband and I will be right there. No Star Wars fatigue here. Happy that my mustachian choices in other areas allow me to choose to spend my money on the things that bring me joy (while still maintaining an over 50% savings rate).

Wahoo! Good job! Enjoy yourself. I'm getting too cranky in my "old" age to enjoy crowds.. ;)

DW said she saw people posting that they were seeing SW this morning at 7:30AM at the movie theater. Special times for this movie. An off hour showing might be just the ticket.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19266 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
Yeah, saw the movie. I wanted to see it before someone posts spoilers on Facebook and thought I was going to need to pay for it but found myself able to use my MoviePass card to buy a ticket an hour before a showing.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19267 on: December 17, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
CW post on FB:  <picture of a cookbook at costco>  hope this is here when I get my next paycheck.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19268 on: December 17, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »
Me: How was your vacation [to your second home a 4 hour plane ride from here that you do not rent out]?
Coworker's spouse: Yep my Audi model *something* had too many miles, so I got a model *something else.*
Another coworker: Oh that's great, because you get a great deal on 2018 cars at the end of the year!
Me: [Speechless that anyone would buy a brand new car.] Um, so how did you get it back here?
Me: Oh, what are you doing with the old car? [Imagining a luxury car would have some resale value.]

---
I make the same amount of money as Coworker, and Audis cost like 50-75% of an annual salary.

Wait, so they bought a new car to replace the "old" one but kept the "old" car too? And then left both cars at their second home? So two fancy cars at a house they don't even live in?

Wtf, what do they have at their actual house?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19269 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »
Coworker was showing off her iPhone X today. I live in China. The iPhone X comes with a 20% import tax since it is considered a foreign good. The 256GB model is ¥9700 which is approx. $1500 USD.

Here's the kicker. My coworker earns approx. ¥4000 per month. She basically bought a new phone that cost more than two months salary. Her last phone was also an iPhone -- not sure which model because I don't pay much attention to phones in general but definitely newer than my 5s.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #19270 on: December 18, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
I live in China. The iPhone X comes with a 20% import tax since it is considered a foreign good.
That´s kind of hilarious.

She basically bought a new phone that cost more than two months salary.
That´s quite sad...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19271 on: December 19, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Yeah, saw the movie. I wanted to see it before someone posts spoilers on Facebook and thought I was going to need to pay for it but found myself able to use my MoviePass card to buy a ticket an hour before a showing.

I got MoviePass specifically for Star Wars. I've seen it twice, will see it again this weekend and probably Christmas Day and probably other days. It's very possible for me to see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings 7-10 times in theaters. I love MoviePass. Will cancel it in a month or so.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19272 on: December 19, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
Sibley yeah I've seen multiple people post that they've used MoviePass to see it multiple times. I'm planning on seeing it a second if not third time in theaters (once will be at the second run theater which has a MASSIVE SCREEN).

You're free to cancel your MoviePass but keep in mind that they may not necessary let you back if you decide you want it in the summer.

Going to AMC costs more than $10 a ticket so the way I see it, if I see more than 1 movie a month on average I'm ahead. I was looking at 2018's movie schedule and there are at least a dozen movies that I would pay  for full price to see (Avengers, Red Sparrow, Black Panthers to name a few), so I will be keeping my membership. In addition, there are other movies that I'm lukewarm about but as I won't be out of pocket I may see (or if I'm with friends and they want to go, I can be a good sport and not complain about their film selection).

There may be a month or 2 where I don't see a movie but oh well, I like paying $10/month a movie and I don't want to bleed MoviePass to death.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #19273 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »
Backstory: we would normally be paid on Dec 28th but due to end of year accounting issues, our payroll will be delayed until January 2nd.

I was joking with a coworker about ways to benefit from the tax bill (try to make a million dollars next year or buy a private jet for sweet deductions). Then I mentioned that I was going to make an early mortgage payment for January at the end of December since I likely will not itemize for 2018 with the larger standard deduction. She looked at me a little weird and said she was actually not going to be able to make her mortgage payment on time on January 1 because of the delayed payroll, since she "lives hand to mouth." She makes over $100k. Oops - good reminder why I should never discuss personal finances at work, it just gets awkward.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19274 on: December 19, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »

I got MoviePass specifically for Star Wars. I've seen it twice, will see it again this weekend and probably Christmas Day and probably other days. It's very possible for me to see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings 7-10 times in theaters. I love MoviePass. Will cancel it in a month or so.

Saw SW last night with my teen. Was unexpectedly really good. Alot more story to connect with than in previous episodes. Got our money's worth so to speak.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19275 on: December 20, 2017, 01:12:02 AM »

Saw SW last night with my teen. Was unexpectedly really good. Alot more story to connect with than in previous episodes. Got our money's worth so to speak.

We will probably buy the DVD when it is on sale in a year or two...
If not someone gets the idea to go to a cinema during the Christmas period.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19276 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
That's what I usually do - just wait until it is ~$10 on DVD and own it. We were a bit impulsive.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #19277 on: December 20, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »
Sibley yeah I've seen multiple people post that they've used MoviePass to see it multiple times. I'm planning on seeing it a second if not third time in theaters (once will be at the second run theater which has a MASSIVE SCREEN).

You're free to cancel your MoviePass but keep in mind that they may not necessary let you back if you decide you want it in the summer.

Going to AMC costs more than $10 a ticket so the way I see it, if I see more than 1 movie a month on average I'm ahead. I was looking at 2018's movie schedule and there are at least a dozen movies that I would pay  for full price to see (Avengers, Red Sparrow, Black Panthers to name a few), so I will be keeping my membership. In addition, there are other movies that I'm lukewarm about but as I won't be out of pocket I may see (or if I'm with friends and they want to go, I can be a good sport and not complain about their film selection).

There may be a month or 2 where I don't see a movie but oh well, I like paying $10/month a movie and I don't want to bleed MoviePass to death.

Is it the second-run theater in hopkins? I haven't been there, and figured the second-run theaters all had smaller screens and older tech

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19278 on: December 20, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »

Is it the second-run theater in hopkins? I haven't been there, and figured the second-run theaters all had smaller screens and older tech

No, this one is in Longfellow. It's called Riverview Theater. It's designed to be like the 1950s ambiance. They serve popcorn with real butter and tickets are like $3, though you should be aware that the place is cash only.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19279 on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »

I typically only see 1 movie a year in the theater. So unless there's another Star Wars movie coming out this year, I'll be done for a while.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19280 on: December 20, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Told my 11 yo that he and daddy should wait until it's out on DVD to watch it.

Got a really quick "look", and it honestly took him about 15 seconds before he said "ha ha".

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19281 on: December 20, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »

---

Wait, so they bought a new car to replace the "old" one but kept the "old" car too? And then left both cars at their second home? So two fancy cars at a house they don't even live in?

Wtf, what do they have at their actual house?

I think i may have posted this on here after i heard it, but this reminded me of earlier in the year i was working on a job site running some equipment near a (not busy) road with lots of empty parallel parking spaces nearby when a truck pulled up and parked right next to where i was working.  The guy got out and I gave him a heads up that his truck may get some dust/debris on it parking so close to where we were working.  He said "no worries, this is my bush truck".  His "Bush Truck" was an almost brand new F350 with chrome wheels, 4 doors and like every option.  Can't imagine how much his idea of a "Show Truck" would cost...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19282 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
Friend mentioned that he bought a 15 year old convertible from someone here that had 5800 miles on it. Good for him, the previous owner prob not as much.

This made me think of the book 'Matilda.' Wonder if the guy selling it said that it was owned by an old lady 'who only drove it to the grocery store once a week.'

Jordie64

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19283 on: December 22, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
I have a few from just today!

1. I know we have heard this one a lot but I will mention it anyway. Two of my coworkers were going to go buy coffee (even though we have TWO free pots of it already made in the kitchen) and they asked if I wanted any tea (they know I usually don't drink coffee). I said no as I JUST had made myself a FREE cup of tea from the kitchen. And they do this every single day. Why?? It's free ten feet from your cubicle and free. Why would I ever go buy tea when I can get it free from the kitchen?

2. Another one of my coworkers has a few plants on her desk. Apparently the plant guy who comes and waters the plants in the lobby (yes, they pay someone to water their plants) told her that her plants should not have tap water and ONLY BOTTLED WATER. So, today she went across the street and bought a large bottle of WATER for her plants. SMH..... not to mention that we also have a cooler that dispenses FREE filtered water. And she wonders why she never has any money. Note that I also have two plants on my desk that only get the free filtered water from the cooler and they are doing just fine.

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19284 on: December 22, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
I have a few from just today!

2. Another one of my coworkers has a few plants on her desk. Apparently the plant guy who comes and waters the plants in the lobby (yes, they pay someone to water their plants) told her that her plants should not have tap water and ONLY BOTTLED WATER. So, today she went across the street and bought a large bottle of WATER for her plants. SMH..... not to mention that we also have a cooler that dispenses FREE filtered water. And she wonders why she never has any money. Note that I also have two plants on my desk that only get the free filtered water from the cooler and they are doing just fine.

Clearly they are dying on the inside...

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19285 on: December 23, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »

My co-worker has a tree in our office. He said it was just a small plant when he got it, over ten years ago. Now, it's five feet tall and doing well. As far as I can tell, the only liquids it gets are leftover tea and coffee dregs that people pour into the pot.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19286 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
That plant will reach out and accost someone one of these days. Old coffee? Yep surely the route to plant genetic alterations and the beginning of a Marvel Superhero movie.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19287 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
That plant will reach out and accost someone one of these days. Old coffee? Yep surely the route to plant genetic alterations and the beginning of a Marvel Superhero movie.

as goodguy/girl or villan?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19288 on: December 24, 2017, 01:36:24 AM »
I had a plant once that was watered like that and liked coffee but didn't like tea. Honestly. You could see it perk up on coffee days and not on tea days.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19289 on: December 24, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Work trees - there was a tree in the hallway where I last worked - it started going downhill when a co-worker got sick, apparently she was the only one who watered it.  So I started watering it and it was fine the whole time I was there.  I haven't thought of it since I retired, but I wonder who is watering it now?

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #19290 on: December 24, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
This has certainly been mentioned before, but I'm not gonna read all 390 pages, haha.  Coworkers are all big into hunting.  But I think they're actually bigger into the 9 months of off season when they all buy new rifles and scopes and trail cameras.  All that cost more than my freakin' car.  And then some of them have the gall to claim it's cheaper to feed their family that way.  I'm sure it would be, but not when you're buying the latest and greatest $3000 scope and whatnot. 

Also, the boss took a day off from work a few weeks ago to drive a state over to buy a third... THIRD... trailer.  Don't ask me why he needed another. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19291 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
So you guys are saying I need to buy Starbucks for my plants?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19292 on: December 24, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

Yes. Ask for the Plantaccino. It is their special drink for plants.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19293 on: December 24, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

Yes. Ask for the Plantaccino. It is their special drink for plants.
+1. Can confirm. At my local *$ locations it is usually kept bagged and ready by the side door to-go. It's free at some stores, and a $1/bag at others. Way better than that Pike's Place Pitiful Plonk por Pissants.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19294 on: December 24, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
This has certainly been mentioned before, but I'm not gonna read all 390 pages, haha.  Coworkers are all big into hunting.  But I think they're actually bigger into the 9 months of off season when they all buy new rifles and scopes and trail cameras.  All that cost more than my freakin' car.  And then some of them have the gall to claim it's cheaper to feed their family that way.  I'm sure it would be, but not when you're buying the latest and greatest $3000 scope and whatnot. 

Also, the boss took a day off from work a few weeks ago to drive a state over to buy a third... THIRD... trailer.  Don't ask me why he needed another.

Hunting is definitely one of those activities that is usually either an inexpensive badass activity that saves money on groceries, or an astronomically expensive lifestyle-hobby that consumes vast amounts of time and money and produces some meat in the freezer as a microscopic side-note.  Fishing can be the same. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19295 on: December 26, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »

This made me think of the book 'Matilda.' Wonder if the guy selling it said that it was owned by an old lady 'who only drove it to the grocery store once a week.'

HA! Me too! Maybe it was sawdust in the engine.

Man, it's really a shame how racist Roald Dahl was. I still love his books and have been reading them to my kids but there's always a nagging feeling that I shouldn't be enjoying the Oompa Loompas and stuff.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19296 on: December 27, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

HA! Me too! Maybe it was sawdust in the engine.

Man, it's really a shame how racist Roald Dahl was. I still love his books and have been reading them to my kids but there's always a nagging feeling that I shouldn't be enjoying the Oompa Loompas and stuff.

Not to sidetrack the overheard at work discussion, but I've never perceived Dahl to be racist (at least, not in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). I made a thread here, so we can talk about this without hijacking.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #19297 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I didn't see any accounting for snow, which would affect the mobility of both the zombies and the humans.

I'm going to continue to believe that dead frozen corpses would be unable to re-animate, thus allowing the winter months to give us some sort of reprieve from the virus.

I was reading the paper- I think his timelines are *very* short. Like, within 140 minutes short in some infection scenarios- That's literally how fast he expects it all to go to hell. It's not an optimistic paper (which he points out), but he mentioned he aimed for it to be truthful. Also, his diffusion equations already take into a count a slow, wandering shuffle of I believe 60-90ft/minute or so (was skimming), so snow might not affect as much. Can a tireless person crawl more than a foot and a half per second over snow?

The theoretical effects of cold were explored well in the sourcebooks the pencil and paper RPG "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" explores a rather academic breakdown of the various zombie tropes- virus, radiation, cosmic rays (?) etc., along with a variety of powers that zombies can get. I mean, they pointed it out in Walking Dead- At some point, muscles decay so much; how the hell is the thing still moving? That's where you get into 'Magic' zombie territory, dungeons and dragons and the like- They move 'Just 'cause'. So the frozen argument works well with the 'Viral zombie' and the 'viral, still living, rage human speed zombie', but not well for 'magic' or 'alien goo' or 'robot sci-fi' zombies...

But back to work shenanigans- Watching one of our co-op students go to lunch and spend $8-$12 every day after confessing to me that his total life spending is around $15K per year right now. He then stated that other than restaurants, he essentially spends money on nothing. Arguably, he's chosen his vice.

Which is sort of mustachian, except saving/paying down debt isn't part of the plan.

If you like a Halligan you are going to love adrians undead diary!
http://www.thechrisphilbrook.com/projects/adrians-undead-diary/

I'll check that out, thanks!
oops, it is actually The clock runs down (https://midnightscorner.wordpress.com/2017/12/26/the-clock-book-one-is-available/) which takes place in the same universe as Adrian's undead journal that features a halligan ..

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19298 on: December 27, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
Boss:  You know, you can get much more house if you were willing to drive another 30 minutes
Me:  Do you even know me?

LuciusCaecilius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19299 on: December 27, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »

Hunting is definitely one of those activities that is usually either an inexpensive badass activity that saves money on groceries, or an astronomically expensive lifestyle-hobby that consumes vast amounts of time and money and produces some meat in the freezer as a microscopic side-note.  Fishing can be the same.

My outlay for hunting this year was the $20 license.  Then I've splurged a little and it'll be about $100 for processing (getting wieners, sausage, bologna, steaks, etc).  In years past, I did all the skinning/cutting and paid $.10 / lb to have the none steak/roast cuts ground into hamburger (nothing added).

Contrast this to my friend who probably spends half my salary (not kidding) on gear, excursions, guides, etc. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!