Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 7574877 times)

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #19150 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
This is the same guy from a few pages back who won't bother with the effort to save the $500 on his insurance premiums.

Background: At work we get quarterly bonuses. These are based on location performance as a whole on certain goals. We score 0-5 and then you get that percent of your salary for the quarter as your bonus. There's also a flat amount for being safe each quarter. We have two safety focus meetings each month. To be eligible for this bonus, you have to attend two meetings during the quarter and also fill out two safety cards a month, which takes about 60 seconds.

I mentioned that I needed to do my safety cards today, since it's the last day of the first month of the new quarter. Coworker: I haven't done mine. I don't need that money, why should I care about that?

We haven't had a great year so we've only gotten 1% or 2% bonuses, but I'm still going to get $1600 for the year, maybe a couple hundred more once I find out how we scored for the third quarter. I just don't get it. You even get paid an hour of overtime to go to the meetings.

Why are they working if they don't need the money?? *head explodes*
I think he needs the paycheck, he just can't be bothered to make an extra $2k! He also works more than me and works the night shift, so gets an extra $0.30 an hour for that. So that would makes his over $2k.

Oh, and if you go to at least 14 of the meetings in person, and do a make up sheet for the ones you miss, you get two extra days off. Guess what, he can't be bothered to do that either. I'm already going to at least 8 a year, so you can bet I'm attending a few extra for more time off.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19151 on: November 01, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
This is the same guy from a few pages back who won't bother with the effort to save the $500 on his insurance premiums.

Background: At work we get quarterly bonuses. These are based on location performance as a whole on certain goals. We score 0-5 and then you get that percent of your salary for the quarter as your bonus. There's also a flat amount for being safe each quarter. We have two safety focus meetings each month. To be eligible for this bonus, you have to attend two meetings during the quarter and also fill out two safety cards a month, which takes about 60 seconds.

I mentioned that I needed to do my safety cards today, since it's the last day of the first month of the new quarter. Coworker: I haven't done mine. I don't need that money, why should I care about that?

We haven't had a great year so we've only gotten 1% or 2% bonuses, but I'm still going to get $1600 for the year, maybe a couple hundred more once I find out how we scored for the third quarter. I just don't get it. You even get paid an hour of overtime to go to the meetings.

Why are they working if they don't need the money?? *head explodes*
I think he needs the paycheck, he just can't be bothered to make an extra $2k! He also works more than me and works the night shift, so gets an extra $0.30 an hour for that. So that would makes his over $2k.

Oh, and if you go to at least 14 of the meetings in person, and do a make up sheet for the ones you miss, you get two extra days off. Guess what, he can't be bothered to do that either. I'm already going to at least 8 a year, so you can bet I'm attending a few extra for more time off.
Offer to do his cards for him for a 50% cut.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19152 on: November 01, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »

Offer to do his cards for him for a 50% cut.

This is genius! Do ittttt. Tell him you'll complete the "make-up sheets" for the meetings he doesn't attend too, that way you can just fill out a couple of forms and earn an extra buck.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

fuzzy math

• Bristles
« Reply #19153 on: November 01, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »

My job has one of those health incentives where you earn points by doing things like logging your miles / steps / biking (they reimburse for pedometers and fit bits), getting a flu shot, taking online courses in meditation stress management etc. Takes about 2 hours of total work (outside of the walking you'd normally be doing in your day if you're not completely sedentary) and you get $450. Only a small fraction of people do it. I mentioned it to my team and they all seemed unaware, or that it was too hard to complete. DERP
I like free stuff, you like free stuff, we both get free stuff
Get a free stock just by signing up at Robin hood

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19154 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
My favorite work story, from a few years ago...

CW bought a new house in the suburbs and commuted via the toll road (most of us did; our employer was located on the toll highway and Houston traffic is evil).

Six months later, she announced she was changing her start time to 30 minutes later, because she refused to take the toll road anymore, and it took 60 minutes to travel the 15 miles on the free roads.

You see, a lawyer had contacted her.  She owed >$10k to the toll authority.

The credit card on file with the toll authority had expired.
.but she didn't see the MULTITUDE of notices they mailed
..because the address on file with the toll authority was her sister's house (where she had stayed temporarily years before)
...And she never picked up her mail from her sister's house (despite her sister's nagging)
....Because if it was really important, someone would call her (so sister threw it all away unopened at the end of the month)
.....AND she never checked her credit card statement, so she didn't notice that she wasn't being charged for tolls every month. 

There was a $25 fine for every time she went through a toll booth without a way to pay for it...and she went through 4 toll booths a day, 4-5 days a week, for months.

I had never seen her that angry.  At the TOLL AUTHORITY.  Because, obviously, they should have tried harder to let her know that her credit card had expired/she was racking up fines. Or, at the very least, they should have waived the fines when she said she was sorry and fixed the problem.

We talked her out of calling one of the local television station.  She thought they've be as outraged as she was and help her get a deal.

I have a little sympathy.  If they are fining her for tolls, they should send letters to the address her license plates are registered to, not the address the toll tag is registered to.  If her car was registered to the wrong address, well thatís a much bigger problem, since itís actually the law to notify dmv but not so much the toll authority.

This is probably colored by my personal experience being that toll authorities have the crappiest service and systems on earth.  Iíve had my tag disabled because my credit card was expiredó but I still had plenty of cash value on the tag. 

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #19155 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »
My 60 yr old coworker claims she has to work forever because she "didn't know our job offered a 401k" and couldn't save up money therefore. She says it wasn't available 10+ yrs ago when she started. This is a very large company and I can guarantee there was a plan back then. Its on the website, its in the next years benefits guide that gets distributed all over, and all the retirement seminars center about how to manage your pension and your 401k etc. From the way this claim was made, I am assuming she still wasn't enrolled when she was saying it.

See this drives me nuts for two reasons
1. The intentional ignorance
2. The fact that you are allowed to save money NOT in a 401k. Like in a Roth. Or -gasp- a bank account.
I'd say those 2 items are really the same thing.
A Roth and a bank account? Explain.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #19156 on: November 02, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »
That's a good point about the license plate registration. 

In Texas, we renew our registration once a year, and I don't think I've ever notified the county when I moved; I waited until I got the annual notice forwarded to me.  It always had a section for changing your address.  I did change my driver's license address, but that's not connected to my license plates.

If she was doing the same thing, it's possible her registration wasn't due yet (since she'd only moved 6 months before), and the fine letters were going to her old apartment and being thrown away by the new resident.

If you have a toll tag, it tries to read that first, and the toll tags aren't always paid by the car owner.  I bought my then-fiance a toll tag for Christmas while we were dating and paid all the tolls for him to come visit me before we moved in together.  If there was an issue with the tag, it really should have been my problem, not his.
Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19157 on: November 02, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
My 60 yr old coworker claims she has to work forever because she "didn't know our job offered a 401k" and couldn't save up money therefore. She says it wasn't available 10+ yrs ago when she started. This is a very large company and I can guarantee there was a plan back then. Its on the website, its in the next years benefits guide that gets distributed all over, and all the retirement seminars center about how to manage your pension and your 401k etc. From the way this claim was made, I am assuming she still wasn't enrolled when she was saying it.

2. The fact that you are allowed to save money NOT in a 401k. Like in a Roth. Or -gasp- a bank account.
1 and 2.  Not being "aware" that you can save elsewhere is intentional ignorance.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #19158 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »

1 and 2.  Not being "aware" that you can save elsewhere is intentional ignorance.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19159 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
My job has one of those health incentives where you earn points by doing things like logging your miles / steps / biking (they reimburse for pedometers and fit bits), getting a flu shot, taking online courses in meditation stress management etc. Takes about 2 hours of total work (outside of the walking you'd normally be doing in your day if you're not completely sedentary) and you get $450. Only a small fraction of people do it. I mentioned it to my team and they all seemed unaware, or that it was too hard to complete. DERP

Not quite the same, but I was always shocked when I worked in higher ed by how few of my peers took advantage of the tuition waivers that employees received. A full time employee, and that employee's spouse, could take two classes for free every semester. Including summers, that's six classes a year, or eighteen credit hours, at a school that costs more than $1,000 per credit hour.

Between my wife and I we completed three degrees for free before I took my shiny new credentials to a better job.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19160 on: November 02, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

Not quite the same, but I was always shocked when I worked in higher ed by how few of my peers took advantage of the tuition waivers that employees received. A full time employee, and that employee's spouse, could take two classes for free every semester. Including summers, that's six classes a year, or eighteen credit hours, at a school that costs more than $1,000 per credit hour.

Between my wife and I we completed three degrees for free before I took my shiny new credentials to a better job.

My current employer has a great tuition reimbursement (of course, it is taxed). (Of course, when I got my master's I didn't have access to one.)
I thought about going and getting another master's degree just as something to do if I didn't get pregnant.

But to work full-time, take care of a newborn, and do classes just wasn't going to be possible!

Now I need to stay here until she is through with college, because their dependent reimbursement is even better than their staff!

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19161 on: November 02, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
"I'm going to drive an hour round-trip to save 10 cents a gallon on gas!"

:/

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19162 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »

Wow... Assuming 60 miles round trip, 30 miles per gallon, and gas at $2.466/gallon... they would have to fill up at least 50 gallons to make the trip worth it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19163 on: November 02, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Wow... Assuming 60 miles round trip, 30 miles per gallon, and gas at $2.466/gallon... they would have to fill up at least 50 gallons to make the trip worth it.
Well, that's easy, just take four cars. /s

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19164 on: November 02, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »

*slow clap*
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19165 on: November 02, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »

*slow clap*

When I get a nice grocery gas reward saved up (eg 50 cents off per gallon) you know I have my wife meet me at the pump and fill both cars in one transaction!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19166 on: November 02, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »

*slow clap*

When I get a nice grocery gas reward saved up (eg 50 cents off per gallon) you know I have my wife meet me at the pump and fill both cars in one transaction!
Aha, now I know how to take advantage of that "buy 100 gallons of diesel, get a free large pizza" deal I saw at a gas station once (true story, somewhere just off I-55 in IL).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19167 on: November 02, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »

*slow clap*

Aha, now I know how to take advantage of that "buy 100 gallons of diesel, get a free large pizza" deal I saw at a gas station once (true story, somewhere just off I-55 in IL).

Cool.  My bulldozer has a 500 gal tank, so that's five pizzas

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19168 on: November 03, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »

*slow clap*

Bargain! You should drive it around more. Get more free pizza. Save yourself some money.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19169 on: November 03, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »

*slow clap*

Bargain! You should drive it around more. Get more free pizza. Save yourself some money.

This whole exchange is gold!

Bayou Dweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19170 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
My favorite work story, from a few years ago...

CW bought a new house in the suburbs and commuted via the toll road (most of us did; our employer was located on the toll highway and Houston traffic is evil).

As a native Houstonian and have lived here my entire life, I've actively avoided toll roads the whole time. I feel as if they are mostly a scam. I feel sorry for the people who live and/or work off of them.

What part of Houston are you located in? I've yet to meet any Mustachians in my area, although I am sure there are quite a few inner loopers.

To keep my post on the topic:

Yesterday, we had a little meeting at work to announce stuff like birthdays, babies, anniversaries, and promotions. One of my bosses announced that he was moving into a new home. Someone proceeded to ask a typical Houston question, "How far is the commute now?" Insinuating that it was going to be longer, as most people move farther and farther away as they make more money (kind of backward, right?)

Anyways, his reply was, "Oh you know, the same terrible commute down xx highway. It'll still be the regular 45 minutes or so, so not too bad really."

I was facepalming hard in my head, thinking about how he made a conscious decision to move slightly farther from work for a bigger, more luxurious house, in another bland suburban neighborhood. The prices of homes in that neighborhood, in case anyone was wondering, average 425k and 3,000 square feet. That's mansion status in my mind.

For that price, he could live within 2 miles of his job, still be in an amazing community, and have 1.5+ hours of his life back per day (or: 7.5h a week, 30h a month, 360h a year). I subscribe to the "day within a day" philosophy from the book "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" by Arnold Bennett, so that extra 1.5 hours would be a LOT of hobby/family time!

Then the worst part was, everyone else seemed to be envying his decision and home purchase. Another co-worker said after he gets married next year, he's planning on moving to the 'burbs for the "community" aspect. As having lived in 2 major suburbs of Houston and lived in the city, there is no community in EITHER unless you make a ton of effort. But in the 'burbs it's even more difficult because everyone is too tired to meet up from commuting all day and we still live so far apart! Insanity. Rant over.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #19171 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
Bayou Dweller, there's a FB group for Houston Area Mustachians.

I live just south of the Beltway....in an area that seems to "require" a 45-60 minute commute, but at least house prices are half what you listed.  (The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)
Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19172 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
God, the commute in Houston is horrific. I lived both in Montrose (near downtown) and in the 'burbs, and living in the burbs was soul-sucking.

I always felt like at least in Houston the houses in the burbs were cheaper. I lived in a house backing up to a golf course with a pool and a ton of space and it was half the price of my 2 bedroom townhouse w no yard or amenities.

To move to the burbs and pay MORE seems completely crazy to me.

Bayou Dweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19173 on: November 03, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
God, the commute in Houston is horrific. I lived both in Montrose (near downtown) and in the 'burbs, and living in the burbs was soul-sucking.

I always felt like at least in Houston the houses in the burbs were cheaper. I lived in a house backing up to a golf course with a pool and a ton of space and it was half the price of my 2 bedroom townhouse w no yard or amenities.

To move to the burbs and pay MORE seems completely crazy to me.

Are you currently in Montrose? That's where I am now!

Yes, usually it is slightly cheaper to have more space in the 'burbs in Houston, but I think he's getting into the mega-houses it seems. To each their own, but I would never go for that.

Bayou Dweller, there's a FB group for Houston Area Mustachians.

I live just south of the Beltway....in an area that seems to "require" a 45-60 minute commute, but at least house prices are half what you listed.  (The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)

Yes! I'm part of the group, however I try not to use FB too much and from what I've seen all of the meet-ups are in the 'burbs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19174 on: November 03, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »
(The idea of paying $450k for a house makes my skin crawl.)

The idea of paying $450k for a house sounds amazing.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19175 on: November 03, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
Location, location, location, right?  I have a coworker moving from IL (suburbs) to UT.  His new house is 50% more expensive, but is also 50% larger and comes on four times as much land (1/4 acre -> 1 acre).  And yet, because property taxes are so much lower in UT, his mortgage payment will go down.

rws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19176 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
Turd Co-worker #1: "This company doesn't pay us enough and the cost of living here is too high" >>  goes out to breakfast AND lunch EVERY.SINGLE.DAY day, comes in with a new gadget every week and talks about buying a $60k car (they already have 2 cars that work just fine). Oh and he's really into 'designer' sneakers (Never understood that one).

Turd Co-worker #2: Agrees with co-worker #1 >> buys $5k worth of new guns and related gadgets, and two brand new $30k vehicles in the past 6 months.

That's more pace punches than i have the strength for...

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19177 on: November 03, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Designer sneakers? I thought sneakers were to use and abuse and wear out? Its the shiny leather shoes worn to show off. (Maybe I do fashion wrong?)

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #19178 on: November 03, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
Designer sneakers? I thought sneakers were to use and abuse and wear out? Its the shiny leather shoes worn to show off. (Maybe I do fashion wrong?)

Sheesh this guy doesn't what yeezy's are? 

Neither do I, but I've heard the term thrown around, and I am aware of sneaker collectors/snobs

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19179 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »

Sheesh this guy doesn't what yeezy's are? 

Neither do I, but I've heard the term thrown around, and I am aware of sneaker collectors/snobs

Dont' watch this video (https://youtu.be/GxJRu5BzQyM?t=11s): it may make your head explode. :-D
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #19180 on: November 03, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Truer words were never spoken. We have slightly outgrown our two-bedroom condo, it is currently worth $340K (likely more since we completely remodeled it, doing most work ourselves)
Mainly, I'm now getting remote work opportunities and could really use a home office (an extra bedroom) in addition to our current two.
3bd condos are $4-500K, houses 5-600K, this is a 45 min commute from work.
Within 15 minutes of work, houses start at $1 million for a 1960's fixer upper with the same livable area as my condo. That's southern California for you!

I guess I'll put in a desk in the master bedroom and make that my office.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:31:13 PM by russianswinga »

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #19181 on: November 03, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
My coworker (early 20s) told me today that's she's going on a road trip with some friends for the next few days. I asked her where she was going/ where she's staying etc. They are planning to tour small towns in the southwest US but haven't booked hotels. I asked why since you can often get deals online expecting her to tell me that they were going to decide based on when they were tired of driving. Turns out she hasn't booked anything because she only stays in hotels that cost >$100/night and sometimes it's hard to find one.

It's like she's afraid of getting a deal. Small towns are going to be cheaper, right?
See my journal

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19182 on: November 03, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
Colleagues started complaining yesterday about how much they're spending on food.

One got Uber Eats six out of seven nights this week.

The other beat that - Uber Eats seven out of seven, and said it's $60-$70 a night for her family of four. :o

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19183 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
The other beat that - Uber Eats seven out of seven, and said it's $60-$70 a night for her family of four. :o
So $420-490/week just on dinners!?  Holy smokes, we feed our family of eight three meals a day for half that!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19184 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
So $420-490/week just on dinners!?  Holy smokes, we feed our family of eight three meals a day for half that!

Her head would explode if I told her that.

My colleague also buys lunch and coffee every day.

The one who "only" had Uber Eats for dinner six nights in a week buys breakfast and lunch every day, and recently said she's looking forward to Christmas holidays because she spends less money when she doesn't have to come to work.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19185 on: November 04, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
My coworker (early 20s) told me today that's she's going on a road trip with some friends for the next few days. I asked her where she was going/ where she's staying etc. They are planning to tour small towns in the southwest US but haven't booked hotels. I asked why since you can often get deals online expecting her to tell me that they were going to decide based on when they were tired of driving. Turns out she hasn't booked anything because she only stays in hotels that cost >$100/night and sometimes it's hard to find one.

It's like she's afraid of getting a deal. Small towns are going to be cheaper, right?

It also sounds like your coworker is intentionally paying the last minute rate for the same room and believing it is a better product. While confining yourself to the rooms that no-one else has wanted to book yet.  A Veblen hotel room.

CW on Monday: Hotel ABC's most expensive room is $80, must be shit.
CW on Tuesday: Hotel ABC's most expensive room is now $120, must be great.

Could you suggest that there is an exchange rate for southwest small towns?

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19186 on: November 04, 2017, 12:47:04 AM »
I was chatting with a coworker today about retiring early. Her response: "But that's such a waste of your degree since you worked so hard for it! You should at least work twenty years for it to be worth it!"

In my mind, I was thinking, "But that would be such a waste of my life!"  Basically, her point was that because I worked so hard and so long to get the degree, I should work even harder and longer to make use of it. I don't know, something just doesn't compute here.

Actually, if you do the math, the sticker price of my degree(s) was $100,000 (before factoring in scholarships and assistantships). My first full-time job after graduation (which I got solely because of my degree) had an annual salary of ~$130,000. So really, I broke even after one year of work, which means I only had to work one year for my degree to be "worth it". My breakeven point is actually quite a bit lower because I had scholarships. Obviously, hers is not the metric by which I measure how long I should be working.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19187 on: November 04, 2017, 05:49:28 AM »

It also sounds like your coworker is intentionally paying the last minute rate for the same room and believing it is a better product. While confining yourself to the rooms that no-one else has wanted to book yet.  A Veblen hotel room.

Agreed. I read that and thought that it's one thing to insist on only staying in hotels with certain features (pool, minibar, nice restaurant... whatever else it is that hotels have that makes them fancy), but quite another to insist on paying a certain amount. What if they got to a Premier Inn and paid $100 for a $25 room? Would that make it better? My minimum hotel standard is a private bathroom. That can be found in hotels across the entire price range. I'm not going to pay £100/night when I can find a hotel that's £50/night that fits my requirements.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19188 on: November 04, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

I don't think you will be able to find a "hotel" in a "western" country (or anywhere were death from starvations isn't normal) that hasn't got that.

What I find strange with all the "star" rating is that the TV size and type and number of chanels plays such a big role.
I mean yes, if I am there on business and all alone I might watch TV every evening to relax from work, but do I need 200 chanels on an XXL TV for that?

Agreed. I read that and thought that it's one thing to insist on only staying in hotels with certain features (pool, minibar, nice restaurant... whatever else it is that hotels have that makes them fancy), but quite another to insist on paying a certain amount. What if they got to a Premier Inn and paid $100 for a $25 room? Would that make it better? My minimum hotel standard is a private bathroom. That can be found in hotels across the entire price range. I'm not going to pay £100/night when I can find a hotel that's £50/night that fits my requirements.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #19189 on: November 04, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
Co-worker travels to Europe every year.  He has an impressive looking passport.  He constantly gives me crap about not being well traveled.  I've only been to a 3 foreign countries.  I do travel a ton, but it is camp style trips so I can bike. We have an older travel trailer. He also looks down his nose at me, as I am not highly educated.  My job is an office worker.  He has a Ph.D.

Recently, he overshared about his financial position. He is in debt up to his eyeballs with student debt, home debt, and credit card debt.  Over the years, I have tried to gently mention that spending less is a way to less stress and a shorter working life. He said his student loans are at high interest, his loan is a 30 yr, and that he may be losing his job soon.  .

Meanwhile, after his admission, he still shows to work with a Grande Starbucks cup in his hand, and food from fast food places. His wife doesn't work, doesn't make him lunch, and isn't looking for gainful employment to improve their situation.  His eldest is in college, and his youngest is a teen. 

Can't help but see flaws in his planning and problem solving.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19190 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Meanwhile, after his admission, he still shows to work with a Grande Starbucks cup in his hand, and food from fast food places. His wife doesn't work, doesn't make him lunch, and isn't looking for gainful employment to improve their situation.  His eldest is in college, and his youngest is a teen. 

Can't help but see flaws in his planning and problem solving.

Seems like the least she could do. I WOH FT and it takes me about 30-40 minutes on a Sunday to make a bunch of freezer sandwiches for the week for husband and daughter. Just grab one out of the freezer and throw in the lunch box with some mostly prepackaged side items and fruit. I'll play devil's advocate a second and wonder if she didn't do it at one point or make the suggestion and he just either didn't eat them in favor of getting something out at work or ignored her about it. Regardless, she should have some awareness of their financial situation and how much risk it is to live on one income with lots of debt and no budget. Does she just sit on the couch all day with her fingers in her ears about it or what? Seems pretty ridiculous. I am all for SAH if you can afford it and/or there is some serious reason why you should (lack of (affordable) childcare, disability, etc). Neither seems to be the case here.

I can't imagine having a kid in college and still trying to pay off my own student debt. Let me guess, he is paying for his kid's college too?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19191 on: November 04, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

The one who "only" had Uber Eats for dinner six nights in a week buys breakfast and lunch every day, and recently said she's looking forward to Christmas holidays because she spends less money when she doesn't have to come to work.

Hmm... wonder what happens when the delivery drivers screw up the orders...? Colleague of mine and I were working back late, we are entitled to order dinner after a certain time and he wanted to demonstrate how the delivery works through the app.

The guy couldn't find our office, and when we ran down the the street to the next block to find him (following his GPS location on the app), he handed over 2 burger and fries orders...without the burgers!

Needless to say I was not impressed

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19192 on: November 04, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

Hmm... wonder what happens when the delivery drivers screw up the orders...? Colleague of mine and I were working back late, we are entitled to order dinner after a certain time and he wanted to demonstrate how the delivery works through the app.

The guy couldn't find our office, and when we ran down the the street to the next block to find him (following his GPS location on the app), he handed over 2 burger and fries orders...without the burgers!

Needless to say I was not impressed

:o

What happened? Is it a battle to get a refund?

And poor you. Fries aren't much of a dinner.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #19193 on: November 06, 2017, 04:57:10 AM »

Actually, if you do the math, the sticker price of my degree(s) was $100,000 (before factoring in scholarships and assistantships). My first full-time job after graduation (which I got solely because of my degree) had an annual salary of ~$130,000. So really, I broke even after one year of work, which means I only had to work one year for my degree to be "worth it". My breakeven point is actually quite a bit lower because I had scholarships. Obviously, hers is not the metric by which I measure how long I should be working.

Two questions.

1) $130,000 straight out of university?! Holy crap. I just think that doesn't happen in the UK. Nice work!

2) What are you doing in China if you don't mind me asking?
British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

Comar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19194 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
I have a samsung s4 phone that doesn't charge the battery anymore. Phone is old but works fine aside from the battery problem. Luckily my sister gave me her own s4 when she upgraded hers but the screen on that one is broken. So I use that phone as a charger and just switch the batteries when the one on my s4 is depleted. A little strange I know but really not a problem.

I'm switching batteries at work today and my coworker asks what I'm doing. I explain and jokingly add I'm also a cheap bastard. She looks at me sad and says "no I know you just don't have any money. People don't do this to save money they do it because they don't have any. Young people today just don't have any money (I'm 32 she is 67) everything is so expensive especially with kids (I have two boys). I bet you don't have a single isk saved. Not one." She seemed really worried about me. I just said "oh really?" and changed the subject.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19195 on: November 06, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
I have a samsung s4 phone that doesn't charge the battery anymore. Phone is old but works fine aside from the battery problem. Luckily my sister gave me her own s4 when she upgraded hers but the screen on that one is broken. So I use that phone as a charger and just switch the batteries when the one on my s4 is depleted. A little strange I know but really not a problem.

I'm switching batteries at work today and my coworker asks what I'm doing. I explain and jokingly add I'm also a cheap bastard. She looks at me sad and says "no I know you just don't have any money. People don't do this to save money they do it because they don't have any. Young people today just don't have any money (I'm 32 she is 67) everything is so expensive especially with kids (I have two boys). I bet you don't have a single isk saved. Not one." She seemed really worried about me. I just said "oh really?" and changed the subject.
Yeesh.  Rude much?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19196 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »

Yeesh.  Rude much?

In a way I wish that your coworker was right. I've seen things that people do to save money when they are flat out broke and sadly I don't see many people in my age group doing them. If you clean to be broke you shouldn't be going out for drinks each weekend, nor should you be going out to eat multiple times a week and many more things.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19197 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

Yeesh.  Rude much?

In a way I wish that your coworker was right. I've seen things that people do to save money when they are flat out broke and sadly I don't see many people in my age group doing them. If you clean to be broke you shouldn't be going out for drinks each weekend, nor should you be going out to eat multiple times a week and many more things.
I think part of the problem there is that People These Days(tm) conflate "dealing with a crappy old smartphone" to "eating out of a dumpster" in terms of broke-ness.  As our society overall becomes richer, the perceptions of standards become higher.  Remember when a "big" (36"+) TV was considered impressive?

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19198 on: November 06, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »

Are you currently in Montrose? That's where I am now!

Not any more. But I lived there for 5 years. Wish I had held on to that townhouse.....

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19199 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
I think part of the problem there is that People These Days(tm) conflate "dealing with a crappy old smartphone" to "eating out of a dumpster" in terms of broke-ness.

Heh. I was out Saturday night with some friends, and I took a photo which my friend complimented... "what kind of phone is that? Is that a Samsung??"  No, it's a Motorola circa 2014... :-P  And it still has better battery life than your iPhone. (I didn't say that part out loud)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)