Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4919042 times)

mgarl10024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1900 on: February 27, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »
Sounds like you don't have a file server and home LAN.  ;-)

You're joking right?
Nope!

That's a great way to waste your time and electricity, speaking from personal experience.
I once had a coworker who had a network of ~10 computers set up at his house with special setups for his kids to use. He was even running his own Windows small business server with Exchange. I was working in IT at the time and couldn't imagine why someone would want to do my job at home and not get paid for it...
I once had a coworker (coming back to the topic a little) who had a similar set up - 10+ computers.  Because he had scavenged them from various places they were all quite old - which was good that waste wasn't produced making new ones, but terrible from an electricity point of view.  It was so bad that he had an enormous fan on a timer to circulate the heat building up in his house every few hours, and a summer heatwave usually meant a harddisk failure and replacement.

Instead, I have a small microserver, though I'm guessing that I have different requirements to my colleague.  I build it to have a low power consumption (about 40 watts) and it runs 24*7.  As I work in IT, setting it up and learning about something new was an excellent way to keep skills sharp, and for those 40watts I get a safe storage for important photos/documents/music/videos etc. that the family can all access, backups, virus scanning, etc.  While it is not the pinnacle of Mustachionism, compared with the alternatives, I wouldn't be without it.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #1901 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
I once rescued ~15 computers from a skip at my school. Learned a lot about how computers work, how to fix them, how to work out which parts are OK. I ended up with about 6 or 7 computers made out of the working parts from each, then installed operating systems on them, learned how to set them up on a network, &c. They were tremendously outdated even at the time, but they could run Quake 1 and Command and Conquer with no problems. Good times.
I am a mathematician who teaches computer science, makes music and plays Go.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #1902 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
...but they could run Quake 1 and Command and Conquer with no problems. Good times.

Baller.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1903 on: February 27, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
Yesterday a co-worker was talking to his new hire about loan products at our bank and he said "A cool trick not many people know about is that you can just use a CD to secure a loan and the interest rate on the loan is only 2.5% above what the CD pays.  My mom (also works at this bank) let me use her CD to secure the loan when I bought my fiancé's wedding ring last fall"

So much derp.  I was just all like:

mgreczyn

« Reply #1904 on: February 27, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
Best hangover cure is beer for breakfast.
I respectfully disagree.  The best cure for hangovers is to attempt to complete a triathlon while hungover.  It's sort of a permanent cure, though it is painful and embarrassing.  Rather, it IS a permanent cure BECAUSE it's painful and embarrassing. 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1905 on: February 27, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Best hangover cure is beer for breakfast.
I respectfully disagree.  The best cure for hangovers is to attempt to complete a triathlon while hungover.  It's sort of a permanent cure, though it is painful and embarrassing.  Rather, it IS a permanent cure BECAUSE it's painful and embarrassing.
I thought we were talking about curing a hangover not a drinking disorder... I do admire anybody who has completed a triathlon (especially on a hangover) though. I would love to attempt one some day I like running and biking well enough but swimming for distance/speed is just not fun to me. I prefer to swim for one of two reasons:
not to drown
have a good relaxing cool float around the pool/lake possibly with an alcoholic beverage
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #1906 on: February 27, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
This isn't an extreme example by any means, but today at work we were talking about beans, canned vs. dry. One coworker said sarcastically, "Who takes the time to prepare dried beans?" I said, "I do, why not?" She said, "It's a lot of work." I said, "No, you just stick your beans in abowl to soak overnight and cook them the next day." She said, "Who thinks ahead that far?" The answer: probably people who are thinking about FIRE.
I talk to folks about biking and write about it at: www.bikinginmpls.com

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #1907 on: February 27, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
This isn't an extreme example by any means, but today at work we were talking about beans, canned vs. dry. One coworker said sarcastically, "Who takes the time to prepare dried beans?" I said, "I do, why not?" She said, "It's a lot of work." I said, "No, you just stick your beans in abowl to soak overnight and cook them the next day." She said, "Who thinks ahead that far?" The answer: probably people who are thinking about FIRE.

I do a large batch, soaking through cooking, in the crockpot and then pop them in the freezer so they are just as convenient as canned beans.  :)

I find that talking food with coworkers brings the biggest anti mustachian behaviors to light.  Like one of my former bosses who buys plastic silverware and paper plates because she just doesn't have the time to mess with dishes.  I kind of cringe to think about what other things she doesn't have time for and admit to making assumptions about the probable cleanliness of her home.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1908 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

I do a large batch, soaking through cooking, in the crockpot and then pop them in the freezer so they are just as convenient as canned beans.  :)

I find that talking food with coworkers brings the biggest anti mustachian behaviors to light.  Like one of my former bosses who buys plastic silverware and paper plates because she just doesn't have the time to mess with dishes.  I kind of cringe to think about what other things she doesn't have time for and admit to making assumptions about the probable cleanliness of her home.

I sometimes forget to think that far ahead, so on those days, I cook lentils.  Or I soak them before I leave for work and then set them to cook while I prep the other components of dinner.

The paper plates thing - my in laws do that.  They buy a 25 count package of Chinet every week, and they have these straw plate holders to help keep the integrity of the plates, which is overloaded w/food.  They also refuse to buy generic, and now that they abandoned their car when it needed repairs they could not afford, they are stuck at home all the time, and they hate each other.  My MIL has replaced her store-shopping habit w/QVC, and my FIL has proudly informed me that they do take-out all the time (delivery), b/c it's the same $ as cooking at home!  I could go on and on, but you get the idea....

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1909 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »

I dunno if those are truly connected. I'm pretty responsible long-term, but have the hardest time remembering to take chicken out to thaw. And then not having something come up that prevents me from cooking it like staying late at work to finish running experiments...

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: February 27, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
Heck, if it were not for auto-pay on the mortgage my credit score would be 100 points lower! :-)

Years ago I missed a months rent payment-just got distracted and forgot then the landlord did not catch it (how I have no idea-he was not a great guy to rent from) for about six months.  I think I was half moved out by then too.  Paid it after checking with the bank to ensure I did owe the money.

So I dont think I will be doing that well with beans any time soon.  Is all about knowing your limits and working around them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:56:01 PM by AlanStache »
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1911 on: February 27, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »
my FIL has proudly informed me that they do take-out all the time (delivery), b/c it's the same $ as cooking at home!  I could go on and on, but you get the idea....

Well, takeout comes with containers and utensils so you save all that money on the Chinet...

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1912 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
I have a co-worker who shares all sorts of nonsense:
 - says she does laundry three times a week, using the coin-op machines in the basement of her apartment building.  Mind you, she is single, has no pets, and wears a uniform at work (which gets laundered at work for her).  I cannot imagine what she might be washing, except maybe she washes her sheets and bath towels frequently, and does very small loads each time.  She says it saves her a lot of time so that she doesn't have to spend her days off "doing such a big pile of laundry".     
 - She buys little tubs of pre-cut, usually out of season fruit, plus those silly bottled-smoothie drinks.   I've seen her eat PB&J sandwiches bought in the freezer section with the crusts cut off.  I've also seen her eating an apple that was bought pre-cut at the store, all sealed up in plastic and called "Dippers"
 - She was complaining that she misses her car (which she left home in Michigan when she came to Utah to work a 4-month season at a ski resort), but when asked why she didn't bring it with her, she said "Because it would've cost $1,500 to ship it here here" (on top of her plane ticket to ship herself here.  Doh!)
 - One day the battery on her phone permanently died, just a few hours before she was supposed to be at work.  So she took a taxi to the nearest verizon store ($20 each way) because she needed to buy a new phone that very same day "just in case her family needed to get in touch with her".  Mind you, if she had waited until the next day, she could've taken public transportation to the same store very conveniently, although it may have taken a half hour more out of her day. 
 - Oh yeah, and she likes to buy expensive scented candles.  (If I were to share the link on how to make scented candles for 1/4 the price, she would absolutely wrinkle her nose in disgust.  Ewww, saving money is gross!)

She makes $11-$12 an hour, and is 35 years old.   

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #1913 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
I have a co-worker who shares all sorts of nonsense:
 - says she does laundry three times a week, using the coin-op machines in the basement of her apartment building.  Mind you, she is single, has no pets, and wears a uniform at work (which gets laundered at work for her).  I cannot imagine what she might be washing, except maybe she washes her sheets and bath towels frequently, and does very small loads each time.  She says it saves her a lot of time so that she doesn't have to spend her days off "doing such a big pile of laundry".     
 - She buys little tubs of pre-cut, usually out of season fruit, plus those silly bottled-smoothie drinks.   I've seen her eat PB&J sandwiches bought in the freezer section with the crusts cut off.  I've also seen her eating an apple that was bought pre-cut at the store, all sealed up in plastic and called "Dippers"
 - She was complaining that she misses her car (which she left home in Michigan when she came to Utah to work a 4-month season at a ski resort), but when asked why she didn't bring it with her, she said "Because it would've cost $1,500 to ship it here here" (on top of her plane ticket to ship herself here.  Doh!)
 - One day the battery on her phone permanently died, just a few hours before she was supposed to be at work.  So she took a taxi to the nearest verizon store ($20 each way) because she needed to buy a new phone that very same day "just in case her family needed to get in touch with her".  Mind you, if she had waited until the next day, she could've taken public transportation to the same store very conveniently, although it may have taken a half hour more out of her day. 
 - Oh yeah, and she likes to buy expensive scented candles.  (If I were to share the link on how to make scented candles for 1/4 the price, she would absolutely wrinkle her nose in disgust.  Ewww, saving money is gross!)

She makes $11-$12 an hour, and is 35 years old.   

The pre-cut fruit anythings make me shake my head. It would be fine if you really didn't want to buy something like a watermelon and know you won't finish it all. It is another thing to buy pre cut watermelon at 5-7$ for a couple ounces multiple time a week. Or mixed grapes and melon for the same price. I had coworkers who did both. Sheesh, I have a hard time buying watermelons at out of seaon prices, let alone buying a couple ounces for the same price all year long.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1914 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »
Another person here who is unlikely to thaw, soak, or marinate anything the night before.  If I did, it would probably end up being one of those days where I need to stay late at work and eat free food.

Russ

• Global Moderator
  • Handlebar Stache
    • AROUSE OSU
« Reply #1915 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
I always soak my beans in hot/warm water for an hour, then dump that and actually cook them. works just fine

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #1916 on: February 28, 2014, 03:08:15 AM »
Ugh, Laundry. That sucking sound in my budget- at least until May when we finally see the sun again.  Roughly 2 loads a weeks here  because I have 3 pairs of pants that fit until I find some new ones I like at the thrift  shop.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #1917 on: February 28, 2014, 05:46:04 AM »
I get it that some people aren't into prepping ahead of time. I was just awed by the idea that soaking is way too much work. I just make a big batch of beans on Sunday to have throughout the week and freeze part for later. I wonder what she'd say about me baking my own bread!

Ugh, Laundry. That sucking sound in my budget- at least until May when we finally see the sun again.  Roughly 2 loads a weeks here  because I have 3 pairs of pants that fit until I find some new ones I like at the thrift  shop.

I only have 3 pairs of pants (2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of cords for work) and only do laundry once every two weeks. Even when I do laundry I usually only wash one pair of pants. I do tend to wear skirts or dresses (with leggings or tights) about 4-5 days out of the week, though.
I talk to folks about biking and write about it at: www.bikinginmpls.com

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1918 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
my FIL has proudly informed me that they do take-out all the time (delivery), b/c it's the same $ as cooking at home!  I could go on and on, but you get the idea....

Well, takeout comes with containers and utensils so you save all that money on the Chinet...

If only!  No, the food gets scooped out of containers and dumped onto Chinet, then nuked b/c it got cold (warm?) while they were delivering it.  Hubby still does this - he can't eat leftovers out of a tupperware, he puts his food on a plate (we use Corelle).  When he's away on business, I eat straight out of the pot!  :)

I feel bad for the delivery guy, b/c my in-laws will place the two orders on the same call, but separate billing.  When the doorbell rings, one will go up first, pay for his/her food, and once they re-enter the apartment, the other one goes to the door and handles the remaining transaction.  I'm surprised they haven't labeled the leftovers in the fridge yet...

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1919 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
I get it that some people aren't into prepping ahead of time. I was just awed by the idea that soaking is way too much work.
Maybe my standards are low, but it seems to me that when you see your bag of dried beans, you put them in the crock pot and forget about them until sometime the next day.  (I'm sure there are people with really high standards, who like their beans fully cooked, but still very firm, and would throw the whole batch away if it were mushy -- I am not one of those people.)

Then, you put them in the fridge (or freezer) until you decide to use them. 

It must just be a mental block with some people -- something that sounds so alien and foreign that they can't imagine how they'd do it.  When you think about it, it's no work at all.  Less active time than opening 4 cans of store-bought beans. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1920 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
I get it that some people aren't into prepping ahead of time. I was just awed by the idea that soaking is way too much work.
Maybe my standards are low, but it seems to me that when you see your bag of dried beans, you put them in the crock pot and forget about them until sometime the next day.  (I'm sure there are people with really high standards, who like their beans fully cooked, but still very firm, and would throw the whole batch away if it were mushy -- I am not one of those people.)

It must just be a mental block with some people -- something that sounds so alien and foreign that they can't imagine how they'd do it.  When you think about it, it's no work at all.  Less active time than opening 4 cans of store-bought beans.

It's just their excuse to be lazy.
Mustachians are not the sort of people who sit around moaning about how the government is keeping them down.  We’re the people who look at what we got, figure out what we don’t like, and fix it.
~Mr. Frugal Toque

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1921 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »

It's just their excuse to be lazy.

Hey!  I don't need an excuse to be lazy!

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #1922 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
I feel bad for the delivery guy, b/c my in-laws will place the two orders on the same call, but separate billing.  When the doorbell rings, one will go up first, pay for his/her food, and once they re-enter the apartment, the other one goes to the door and handles the remaining transaction.  I'm surprised they haven't labeled the leftovers in the fridge yet...
This seems like a whole new level of separate finances...
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dr-and-mr-and-jr

'I can't complain, but sometimes I still do/Life's been good to me so far.' Joe Walsh

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1923 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »

I will admit that we bought canned beans until very recently. It's totally a mental block. Sometimes you just do something, without even thinking, because that's just always how you've done it.

I talked about dry vs. canned with a friend recently and he asked "is it cheaper?"  - so some people just don't even realize how much cheaper it can be (including me a month ago). I think some of it is visuals - with something like chick peas, a cup of dried beans is two and a half cups cooked.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1924 on: February 28, 2014, 12:45:38 PM »

I will admit that we bought canned beans until very recently. It's totally a mental block. Sometimes you just do something, without even thinking, because that's just always how you've done it.

I talked about dry vs. canned with a friend recently and he asked "is it cheaper?"  - so some people just don't even realize how much cheaper it can be (including me a month ago). I think some of it is visuals - with something like chick peas, a cup of dried beans is two and a half cups cooked.

So... is it cheaper?

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1925 on: February 28, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »

So... is it cheaper?

http://www.wisebread.com/canned-vs-dried-beans-which-are-cheaper  --prices quoted there are about what I see in local stores.

Dried is about half the price to 2/3 the price of canned.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1926 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Meh. I'm not that worried.

Frankies Girl

• Handlebar Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #1927 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that cooking dried beans in the crockpot was dangerous because the beans contain a toxin that needs higher temperatures to get rid of it?

I had no idea about this, but apparently it is sort of true for kidney and lima beans:
http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/causesofillnessbadbugbook/ucm071092.htm

Most "dried beans" (there are dozens out there) are perfectly fine cooked in a crockpot. And even kidney/limas beans are safe if you make sure to soak them long enough and/or boil them first.

I've done dried beans the way I was taught by my dad - soak them overnight with water and a few pinches of baking soda (he said it helped remove the "gassy" quality), drain and rinse, then cook for X number of hours (depends on method of cooking). I'm pretty sure I've cooked most common types of beans this way (Great Northern, pinto, blackeye, lima...etc) but I'm sure in some of the 10 bean mixes I've picked up, there have been kidney beans in there and I've had no ill effects but I also do see them boiling or simmering in the crockpot or stovetop.
I frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. Like now.

FIREd as of: March 6th, 2015!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life Off Route
« Reply #1928 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Pretty much all legumes contain some level of toxins in their raw form. This is why beans need to be soaked; exposure to moisture in an anaerobic environment breaks down a lot of it, plus the water also leaches some stuff out. I'm not eating beans any more but I stupidly always bought canned, if I ever reintroduce them I will buy dry and soak them myself. I suspect there may be a difference in how much stuff gets leached out in the canning process versus doing it yourself.

BTW, I've also read (here http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2) that it's probably best to discard the soak water. When I used to cook with beans I would often include the liquid from the can; probably not a good idea in retrospect.
A Mustachian climber and part-time vandweller: http://lifeoffroute.com

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1929 on: February 28, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
"My friends and I are having a girl's night. We're going to Peter Luger. It won't be that bad, though, because we don't eat that much, so the five of us will split steak for three."

http://www.peterluger.com/menu-bklyn.cfm

No prices on the menu, but it's a $$$$ restaurant on Yelp.

Menu pages says $149.25 (could be a bit old).  $30 isn't really outrageous for a night out.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1930 on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

That's for your slab 'o cow, which IIRC, runs $99 for 2

You know a suspicious amount about how much the steak for two costs...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1931 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
If you don't have time to soak dried beans, use a pressure cooker.

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1932 on: March 01, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »
Interesting/kinda sad conversation the other day at work:

CW:  I only have 15 years left, then I'll get to retire. (he was saying this in response to not dealing w/a certain other cw)
Me:  Is that when you should have enough money saved up to live off of?  That'll be great!
CW:  That's when I'll get Social Security benefits.  It's hard to save w/ kids, you know?  We have a little saved, but not that much.

We are a small business and I work in the office-I know he makes $40,000 to $48,000 a year.  He lives in a house owned by the business and does not pay rent, but does cover his own utilities.  At retirement, he will no longer be able to live there (the housing is reserved for employees only).  They do drive really old cars and wear thrift shop clothing, but I'm still concerned his timeline won't actually work.  And I'm only 23 so I'm certainly not counting on SS for my retirement income.  It was actually weird to me that he's planning on SS benefits as a way to determine at what age he can retire.  (And I don't think he's aware you get higher/lower benefits at different ages.  He just knows 65 is "retirement age".)

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #1933 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
Well its not overheard at work, it was at the store, but it was about work so. Person that immigrated from Portugal (a country which is not doing good economically at all), used to make 2k net, at which he was very proud.( As a comparison, average monthly pay inhere is about 1,5K.) He used to complain about having to watch his tv and computer et cetera because the weather was not good, so I doubt he saved a big deal and spent a lot on the toys. The guy quit and is now unhappy because the unemployment office is not giving him money. Which is just part of the law, I was even surprised you could apply for unemployment when you quit yourself. People aren't hiring him because he is unhappy, more probable because his Dutch is pretty bad and he quit a couple of jobs already. And now he has money problems... I am so not feeling sorry for him, honestly.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1934 on: March 01, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
$1,700 monthly electric bill - Yes , you read that correctly. I didn't hear it, I saw it in the checkbook register of a client of mine. In all fairness, their winter electric bill dropped to only $450 so I guess they were conserving (WTF?). I've been to their house (ehem, castle) which is about 6,000 sqft, and they have a pool, and a poolhouse, but how is this even possible? This is for an elderly (70 ish) couple with no one else living in the house.
Indecision may or may not be my problem.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1935 on: March 01, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
$1,700 monthly electric bill -

that would take effort, buddy has 4k sqft, pool, pool house, always has 2-3 tvs on (not being watched) old school light bulbs, hot tub, waterfall, but gas heat in the house and his is around 400$/mon.  you would have to be keeping the pool warm-maybe they like to swim laps year round?
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1936 on: March 01, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
I think they must be running the AC at 60 degrees in the summer in a HUGE house, likely without ideal insulation or high efficiency blower. I still don't know how this is possible though.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #1937 on: March 03, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
A co-worker recently complained about her teenage son.  See, he just recently got a car (used, Dodge I think, on mom and dad's dime), and he wanted to change the oil himself.  She specifically gave him $40 to go get the oil changed because she didn't want him to change it himself.  Even though he took some sort of auto machine class in high school, and he was dying to do it.  Her reasons:  He just doesn't understand how expensive it will be.  He will need to buy the oil and filter.  He will need to buy special tools, and then he will need to pay to dispose of it!

She got mad, though, because he changed it himself anyway!  I say, good for him!
There are two ways to get enough.  One is to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.-  G.K. Chesterton

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1938 on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »
A co-worker recently complained about her teenage son.  See, he just recently got a car (used, Dodge I think, on mom and dad's dime), and he wanted to change the oil himself.  She specifically gave him $40 to go get the oil changed because she didn't want him to change it himself.  Even though he took some sort of auto machine class in high school, and he was dying to do it.  Her reasons:  He just doesn't understand how expensive it will be.  He will need to buy the oil and filter.  He will need to buy special tools, and then he will need to pay to dispose of it!

She got mad, though, because he changed it himself anyway!  I say, good for him!
Wow, that's terrible parenting. Things that promote self-reliance and understanding of everyday objects like this should be encouraged, even if it costs a little more. Not that that's even the case here... aside from maybe $20 one time upfront fee for jack stands.

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1939 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty awful.  $40 gets you the fancy synthetic oil too.  And it makes a teenager feel like a badass.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #1940 on: March 03, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
$1,700 monthly electric bill -

that would take effort, buddy has 4k sqft, pool, pool house, always has 2-3 tvs on (not being watched) old school light bulbs, hot tub, waterfall, but gas heat in the house and his is around 400$/mon.  you would have to be keeping the pool warm-maybe they like to swim laps year round?

Just heard from the financial train wreck in-laws last night.  They live in the basement of a triplex in a borough of NYC.  This place could be a gold mine if managed correctly.  Furnace is 30+ years old, but family is too cheap to replace it, even though it's beyond borrowed time.  It's so old, it doesn't even work w/a hot water heater!  Well, the family is freaking out b/c the main floor hasn't been getting heat this winter, and the heating bills have shot up to $700/mo.  Too scared to repair/replace it.  Grandpa lives upstairs alone in a 3 BR unit, and can't handle stairs.  Pays no rent, it's his house, lives off Social Security & side hustle.  Main floor is 1 BR unit, rented for about $1K, but no one wants to raise the rent on this unit b/c the tenant often drives grandpa to doctor appointments and for errands.  Basement unit is a 2 BR unit, my in-laws pay $500/mo.  They are now being asked to pay more rent or to pay the utility bill every month.  Freaking out over how they'll survive.  Refuses to change their lifestyle.  If that property were renovated a bit and managed properly, it could easily gross $4,500/mo.  A few minor changes, and they could pay all the house bills and live well!  I so want to facepunch them, over and over and over...

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1941 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
$1,700 monthly electric bill - Yes , you read that correctly. I didn't hear it, I saw it in the checkbook register of a client of mine. In all fairness, their winter electric bill dropped to only $450 so I guess they were conserving (WTF?). I've been to their house (ehem, castle) which is about 6,000 sqft, and they have a pool, and a poolhouse, but how is this even possible? This is for an elderly (70 ish) couple with no one else living in the house.

That is a ginormous bill, our home is also 6k Sq Ft but no pool and our biggest bill was $400, and I want to punch myself for that one.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1942 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »

Wow, that's terrible parenting. Things that promote self-reliance and understanding of everyday objects like this should be encouraged, even if it costs a little more. Not that that's even the case here... aside from maybe $20 one time upfront fee for jack stands.

We know it's not necessary to let the experts change the oil, but this parent doesn't. Fine. No human is omniscient.

There are plenty of ways the kid could have respectfully educated his parents, including having the instructor -an expert- from that auto class talk to his mom to reassure her that it's perfectly fine for a non-professional to change fluids in the car.

Although learning self-reliance is great, the kid can also learn to get his way, with the approval of his parents, without leaping straight to disobedience and defiance (which should be reserved for extreme cases like abuse or neglect).

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1943 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

We know it's not necessary to let the experts change the oil, but this parent doesn't. Fine. No human is omniscient.

There are plenty of ways the kid could have respectfully educated his parents, including having the instructor -an expert- from that auto class talk to his mom to reassure her that it's perfectly fine for a non-professional to change fluids in the car.

Although learning self-reliance is great, the kid can also learn to get his way, with the approval of his parents, without leaping straight to disobedience and defiance (which should be reserved for extreme cases like abuse or neglect).

It's the kid's car, the kid has a driver's license, if the kid breaks it is his issue to deal with at that point. 

That's how my parents dealt with it every time I went against their "order" and broke something.  It wasn't about defiance, it was about seeing what I could do.  And I had to replace a few computer components as a result of it ;)

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1944 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
Glad I'm not your kid.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #1945 on: March 03, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »

That is a ginormous bill, our home is also 6k Sq Ft but no pool and our biggest bill was $400, and I want to punch myself for that one.

Maybe they hadn't paid their electric bill for a few months? 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1946 on: March 03, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

My parents were like that. I grew up to be an engineer in spite of it, but I wonder how much better off I would have been if they'd let me do more tinkering as a kid...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1947 on: March 03, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

Maybe they hadn't paid their electric bill for a few months?

That would make some sense right, but nope, this was every month for 4-5 months in a row during the summer, then it slowly dwindled down to a measily $450 for the winter while their gas bill went through the roof.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1948 on: March 03, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »
"I save 42% of my income" - one of my colleagues. She was (understandably) very proud, and asked me how I save 85%. Totally ripe for conversion to MMM.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1949 on: March 03, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
"I save 42% of my income" - one of my colleagues. She was (understandably) very proud, and asked me how I save 85%. Totally ripe for conversion to MMM.

Conversion?  That's about the average rate around here.