Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 7629681 times)

londonstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18450 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »
I have a coworker who's very close to retirement.    Tthe other day, I overheard her ask "Wait, what's the difference between a defined benefit pension and a defined contribution pension?   And which one do we have?"

Siiiigh.   I could almost understand it if she were a youngster just starting out, but this is important stuff that is going to affect her REALLY soon!

I will see your uniformed coworkers and I'll raise you....

I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

Wow, just wow. Insane.

I work in HR and the level of illiteracy surrounding pensions is astonishing. Our firm makes a (very) generous 10% non-contributory provision towards our UK pension, which is higher than equivalent firms and much better than the norm. However we need to give employees the option to opt out. An employee recently did this and I came back to question, "You do know this is free money?" He explained he didn't know what it meant so he chose to opt out anyway, but would like to opt back in.

I also see the payroll deductions that employees make towards their own pensions and have done in a number of other companies - I reckon that only ~5% of employees are contributing towards their own retirement. Genuinely terrifying.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18451 on: August 23, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
I work in HR and the level of illiteracy surrounding pensions is astonishing. Our firm makes a (very) generous 10% non-contributory provision towards our UK pension, which is higher than equivalent firms and much better than the norm. However we need to give employees the option to opt out. An employee recently did this and I came back to question, "You do know this is free money?" He explained he didn't know what it meant so he chose to opt out anyway, but would like to opt back in.

I also see the payroll deductions that employees make towards their own pensions and have done in a number of other companies - I reckon that only ~5% of employees are contributing towards their own retirement. Genuinely terrifying.

Every additional day I'm alive on this plant, my faith in humanity diminishes just a little. How some people are able to even wipe their own ass with their limited mental horsepower is incredible to me.
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #18452 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

Every additional day I'm alive on this plant, my faith in humanity diminishes just a little. How some people are able to even wipe their own ass with their limited mental horsepower is incredible to me.
How long have you lived in Texas that you haven't encountered plenty? Or been to other parts of this country?

I'm tellin' you, pardner, that stupidity is spontaneous, contagious, hazardous, and disastrous. The day it is eradicated will be joyous, momentous and miraculous. For that to happen requires tremendous effort by adventurous persons in the pursuit of acquiring knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:14:47 AM by jinga nation »
Signature worthless. I'm worth more dead than alive. Wife and kids will collect. Or Uncle Sam will, you can rely on Him.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18453 on: August 23, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
CW -  I spent 45 minutes waiting for KFC last night
Me - what? why would you wait that long?
CW - So it took us 35 mins to get through drive through and then when we went to get the food they were like its another 10min wait for original chicken. So had to park up and wait.
Me - Why would you even wait 35 minutes for drive through, I would have seen the line and gone elsewhere or walked in
CW - The line wasn’t that long when we got there. Plus near home there’s only kfc and maccas and we didn’t feel like that. No idea why the line took so long. Then one of the cars in front of us didn’t get his whole order so that took time and obviously our chicken. KFC is always so slow

This coworker eats out almost every night and for lunch as well, cause it's easier and quicker than cooking....

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18454 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
Reading comment, reading comment, reading comment...

CW - So it took us 35 mins to get through drive through and then when we went to get the food they were like its another 10min wait for original chicken. So had to park up and wait.
Me - Why would you even wait 35 minutes for drive through, I would have seen the line and gone elsewhere or walked in
CW - The line wasn’t that long when we got there. Plus near home there’s only kfc and maccas and we didn’t feel like that. No idea why the line took so long. Then one of the cars in front of us didn’t get his whole order so that took time and obviously our chicken. KFC is always so slow

This coworker eats out almost every night and for lunch as well, cause it's easier and quicker than cooking....

Oh, Australian. *look left to confirm*

One of my colleagues just said, "We've had Uber Eats for dinner the past three nights." So, paying for food and paying for someone to deliver it.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #18455 on: August 24, 2017, 05:27:35 AM »
I have a coworker who's very close to retirement.    Tthe other day, I overheard her ask "Wait, what's the difference between a defined benefit pension and a defined contribution pension?   And which one do we have?"

Siiiigh.   I could almost understand it if she were a youngster just starting out, but this is important stuff that is going to affect her REALLY soon!

I will see your uniformed coworkers and I'll raise you....

I had a coworker ask me recently if I thought it would be worthwhile for them to enroll in the company offered 401k.  This coworker is in their mid 40s and has been at the company for 15 years.

Another coworker overheard us and asked, completely sincerely, "wait, do we have to sign up for it?  I never did and they take money out of my paycheck for it every month."   Apparently this coworker was under the impression that the 'benefits' category in their paystub referred to their 401K.  I had to break the news that it was money they were paying for their health insurance.  That coworker has been at the company for over 7 years. 

I have been at this company for a significantly shorter time than both of them and enrolled in the 401K the day my paperwork went through.

Wow, just wow. Insane.

My employer offers a weird split 401k "match" where you can get up to a certain percent matched directly out of every paycheck, then the rest of their contribution is deposited as a lump sum once a year. There is no minimum amount to contribute to get the lump sum, you only have to have a company 401k established. The match stays the same, but the lump sum increases over time (at 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 years). Since you have to have worked the entire previous calendar year to be eligible for the lump sum (a shitty way to rip off new employees' retirement contributions), I was eligible for the first time at the end of 2016. A couple months into 2017, I hadn't seen the money in my account so I started to ask around.

Not a SINGLE person in the office knew what I was talking about. Not. One.
I'm like, "this is XX% of your salary in FREE MONEY deposited to your 401k annually. What do you mean you didn't even know it existed?"

The responses I got ranged from the set-it-and-forget-it mindset of "I just never check my 401k balance," all the way to "I don't have a 401k set up through work. It seemed like too much of a hassle, so I just never did it."

It absolutely baffles me that people can just not care about their money like that. The good news is that our newest hire, straight out of university, seems really interested in saving (and not spending) and we have had some pretty good talks on the subject.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18456 on: August 24, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
Reading comment, reading comment, reading comment...

Oh, Australian. *look left to confirm*

One of my colleagues just said, "We've had Uber Eats for dinner the past three nights." So, paying for food and paying for someone to deliver it.

It's crazy how much it can cost. A buddy of mine mentioned spending $50 for $22 worth of Chinese takeout that "wasn't all that good," that does include a tip for the driver.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #18457 on: August 24, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
CW & spouse are empty nesters. Spouse has 15 min. commute. CW has 1 hr. commute. Solution: Sell house and move closer to CW’s job, so commutes are semi-equal 30-minute commutes.

So, they put the house on the market, paid movers to move belongings into storage, scrubbed it clean.

Spouse then announces, “Awww, but I LOVE this house!”

House is taken off market. New solution: CW will buy a Tesla, which will drive itself while he gets work done during commute.

Sometimes I wish I had that kind of logic.
"He is richest who is contented, for content is the wealth of nature."

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18458 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
New solution: CW will buy a Tesla, which will drive itself while he gets work done during commute.

Please tell your coworker that Telsa's are not autonomous before he kills someone.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18459 on: August 25, 2017, 01:20:50 AM »

That is horrifying. The Tesla idea is genuinely scary. But what gets me is that Spouse knew their feelings on the house before the plan to move, there was no new information provided to cause this change of heart. What an expensive waste of time.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18460 on: August 25, 2017, 05:40:24 AM »

That is horrifying. The Tesla idea is genuinely scary. But what gets me is that Spouse knew their feelings on the house before the plan to move, there was no new information provided to cause this change of heart. What an expensive waste of time.

My guess is that after it was staged to sell it became a peaceful uncluttered space. Wanna bet that stuff never comes out of storage and the house fills up with new stuff? 

Fortunately they didn't fall in love with a new house then decide to keep the old as well.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18461 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Fortunately they didn't fall in love with a new house then decide to keep the old as well.

A guy at work did that with cars.

He buys a Mercedes, wife buys an Infiniti. After a couple of months she decides she likes his better so what do they do? Buy another Mercedes. Kept the Infiniti.... 3 luxury cars, 2 drivers.

The best part? He does financial analysis for a living.
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18462 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

A guy at work did that with cars.

He buys a Mercedes, wife buys an Infiniti. After a couple of months she decides she likes his better so what do they do? Buy another Mercedes. Kept the Infiniti.... 3 luxury cars, 2 drivers.

The best part? He does financial analysis POORLY for a living.

*FTFY
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18463 on: August 25, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
A girl (29 years old) at work wants to get a Camaro as a weekend car. I'm pretty sure she makes $12 an hour, no more than $13 if there was a recent raise.

She has two older cars and wants to trade one of them in for the Camaro plus get a loan. She's not looking for brand new but something very lightly used, only a few years old. So still $10-15k or more. I've tried to hint a couple things like saying I only buy cars cheap enough that I can pay in cash cause I wouldn't be able to make the payment if I lost my job, etc... I've also suggested a 90s Camaro but she's set on the new styling, leather seats, and a very specific trim. She also has bad credit so she needs to get her dad to cosign. On the bright side, since she's so picky she hasn't found the exact perfect one for months now.

This is the same girl who is currently living with her 6 yo at her mom's house because she lost all of her possessions in a fire (including $20k in sneakers supposedly).

It makes me feel a little less ridiculous for wanting a second cheap car but then I think of this forum and all the facepunches I'd get for having two cars even if both are worth under $5000 total.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18464 on: August 25, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
This is the same girl who is currently living with her 6 yo at her mom's house because she lost all of her possessions in a fire (including $20k in sneakers supposedly).

$20k in sneakers!?! Does she have a special pair that drop $100 bills out the back as you walk or something?
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

Alternatepriorities

• Stubble
  • Engineer, explorer, investor, blogger
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #18465 on: August 25, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »
I work for myself now and don't overhear things things at work unless I'm talking to myself... Those conversations are always very mustachian!

This morning I stopped for a doughnut and I overhead one of the cashiers tell her coworker that it's always really busy on Fridays because it's payday. This was met with agreement from several other customers and and expansion to include the first of the month and that it's ever busier if the Friday falls on the 1st of the month! These are just regular old doughnuts selling for a buck. We clearly still have a lot of people to reach.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18466 on: August 25, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »

$20k in sneakers!?! Does she have a special pair that drop $100 bills out the back as you walk or something?

I know professional guys who collect sneakers. A couple have 150-200 pairs, most worn only worn once, stored in their original boxes.

They rationalise it by saying they're making up for not getting the Air Jordans, etc, they wanted as kids.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18467 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »
My boss told us that her new bathroom turned out to cost less than she had expected. So she had money left in the extra mortgage that she had taken up for the bathroom. She was wondering whether she should use the money to pay off on the loan or whether she would use it to buy a new sofa. I got the impression that the sofa was by far the most attractive option.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18468 on: August 26, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

I know professional guys who collect sneakers. A couple have 150-200 pairs, most worn only worn once, stored in their original boxes.

They rationalise it by saying they're making up for not getting the Air Jordans, etc, they wanted as kids.

You know, I rationalize that I have 3 pairs is because I have clumb(?) feet and always make a hole on the right foot shoe sole before they are out-used (if they aren't cheap one-season shoes) so I need to be prepared.

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18469 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
Chatting with a coworker yesterday about our commuting distances. I have an 8 km, 45 minute bus ride to work, while DH has a 1.5 hour subway ride each morning. I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD. My coworker's response? "But it would be such a waste for you not to work!"

Maybe I should have mentioned that I have two sidegigs in progress, that DH's workplace would likely hire me on, and/or that I have one more sidegig that is currently non-operational because I don't have enough time to do it. But I was so flabbergasted that I simply nodded and smiled like a moron. I still haven't figured out what I would be wasting by taking advantage of free housing (worth approx. $USD12,000 per year) and free education (USD$50,000) as well as saving current rent (USD$18,000). Not to mention the non-financial benefits of shorter travel time to work, larger apartment, quieter neighbourhood, etc.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18470 on: August 28, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
... I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD.

This sounds amazing. Have you run the numbers on doing it now, before the mortgage is paid off?

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18471 on: August 28, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
... I mentioned that I may quit my job in two years (after mortgage is paid off), retire early, and move near DH's work. DH's work provides free housing and free private school education for DD, whereas we currently have to pay for our own housing to be closer to my work and pay for private school for DD.

This sounds amazing. Have you run the numbers on doing it now, before the mortgage is paid off?

Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't make sense now because there are no good preschools near DH's work. Since we have to be in a more central part of the city while DD is in preschool, I might as well work.

wannabe-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18472 on: August 28, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
Anyone else hear the craziest things while at work?

Today it was, "Well the commutes gonna be a lot longer, but it was only $100 more per month for a 3 bedroom"

I was chatting with my co-worker Friday.  He and I are both "car guys" but once i found MMM a few months ago, i sold my BMW and got a used honda.  i didn't mention my lifestyle changes to co-workers but he asked about my car and i told him i didn't want to have a 400hp car that was $$$ to maintain and insure, got 10mpg and was absolutely useless in rush hour traffic.

he looked at me like my head was on backwards.  keep in mind he just leased his 3rd luxury car in 7 years (he's had two BMWs and just leased a $70K Audi SUV).  it's also interesting to point out that i know for a fact he makes about 60% less than i do.  oh, and he's single so i am not sure what he's carrying around in that SUV.

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #18473 on: August 28, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
oh, and he's single so i am not sure what he's carrying around in that SUV.

Dead bodies, for sure

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18474 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Coworker apparently just bought a new puppy.  Not sure what, as I try to avoid asking her personal questions, but she got a 'screaming deal' on it.

Same woman who NEVER has any money.  As in, claims she can't afford to eat.  Her lunch most days is a spoonful or two of peanut butter because that's all she can afford.  I know that between she and her boyfriend, they're pulling around $70,000 in a LCOL area. 

Her story last fall was that her boyfriend's dad is a terrible person because he won't let them stay rent free in his rental property. (Seriously, good on dad for kicking them out...)  They now live in an RV in a KOA for $400/month.  And somehow there's STILL no money left over.

She donated $1000 to the Trump campaign while eating peanut butter for lunch.  Because... priorities?

Bought a new vehicle and traded up twice (to a giant clown truck) while complaining about starving.

Started Primerica and tried to convince me to sign up with them.  Um... we get free life insurance through work.  And a pension.  And access to a 457/401k/IRA... you name it.  She's been to two of their conferences in Atlanta, and keeps throwing more money at it.  Thank dog the boss made her stop wearing her Primerica shirts to work and trying to sign up employees... (She's throwing money at Primerica shirts.  I don't think she's even made enough to pay for those, let alone the conference fees.)

She's also upset that her mom won't let her keep horses on her property and/or kick in some cash now and then.  This woman is in her fucking 40s.

I used to just let her talk, but now I have to avoid her.  Everything she says makes me want to punch her.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18475 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
A "screaming deal" on a puppy is free, IMO. I'm guessing she over-paid.

How the fuck are they going to pay to feed a puppy if she is existing on a scoop of peanut butter?

Ditto for horses.

Thanks for sharing!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18476 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »

How the fuck are they going to pay to feed a puppy if she is existing on a scoop of peanut butter?

Ditto for horses.

Thanks for sharing!

Buddy of mine, on the phone,  "Hey Paddedhat, you interested in a free horse?"

Me:  I'm not sure if I should be more upset that you clearly think that I'm an Idiot, since you even asked, or that you might be dumb enough to believe that there really is such a thing as a free horse?

Waco neighbor lady had two horses, and no place for them on her small rural lot.  By the time she paid for boarding (just a roof over their heads, nothing more)  food, vet bills, and shoeing, she had over a grand a month spent just so they could stand in somebody else's field, eat and shit. She also had to spend hours a day, before and after work, driving a few miles away to care for the things.  "Great deal" and "free" are not part of the world of horses.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #18477 on: August 29, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »

Ditto for horses.

Thanks for sharing!

Pets are expensive if you take care of them properly.

I kept the free puppy my daughter got and abandoned, because the Venomous Spaz Beast is an incredibly intelligent animal who like all Chihuahuas is probably from outer space. The pup realized my daughter wasn't going to care for her, noticed I was the one who kept giving her kibble, and snuggled me up with a nose in my ear as though to say: "I will be your doggie." Since my daughter wasn't feeding her (as in, would walk right by the crate with the crying puppy to feed herself and then walk right back) and was crating her 24x7 while she went out to gallivant with friends, I stole the pup and introduced her to the world outside the crate.

Between the vet care, the food, the various leashes, flea medicine, collars, beds, and toys that are necessary to keep my shoes from getting chewed, and the obedience school necessary to train the dog to not be a spaz beast, I'm out an average of USD$100 a month. However I adore this little creature. We spend hours a day together walking, interacting, learning tricks, or adventuring. I just took her on a road trip of about 1600 miles and once she got over the car sickness she was the best little travel buddy ever. Unlike my daughter, the little dog woke up cheerfully in the morning, went willingly to whatever activity we had planned, and was either napping quietly by herself or fully engaged in the activities of the day. She wasn't a burden, she didn't whine and complain, and she didn't constantly wander off by herself or pepper me with can-I-have, can-we-buy, and why-can't-I. The little wawa turned out to be a fantastic adventure dog and I'm going to take her with me from now on. Instead of my daughter.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #18478 on: August 29, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »
Coworker apparently just bought a new puppy.  Not sure what, as I try to avoid asking her personal questions, but she got a 'screaming deal' on it.

Same woman who NEVER has any money.  As in, claims she can't afford to eat.  Her lunch most days is a spoonful or two of peanut butter because that's all she can afford.  I know that between she and her boyfriend, they're pulling around $70,000 in a LCOL area. 

Her story last fall was that her boyfriend's dad is a terrible person because he won't let them stay rent free in his rental property. (Seriously, good on dad for kicking them out...)  They now live in an RV in a KOA for $400/month.  And somehow there's STILL no money left over.

She donated $1000 to the Trump campaign while eating peanut butter for lunch.  Because... priorities?

Bought a new vehicle and traded up twice (to a giant clown truck) while complaining about starving.

Started Primerica and tried to convince me to sign up with them.  Um... we get free life insurance through work.  And a pension.  And access to a 457/401k/IRA... you name it.  She's been to two of their conferences in Atlanta, and keeps throwing more money at it.  Thank dog the boss made her stop wearing her Primerica shirts to work and trying to sign up employees... (She's throwing money at Primerica shirts.  I don't think she's even made enough to pay for those, let alone the conference fees.)

She's also upset that her mom won't let her keep horses on her property and/or kick in some cash now and then.  This woman is in her fucking 40s.

I used to just let her talk, but now I have to avoid her.  Everything she says makes me want to punch her.
If she doesn't have money for food she sure as hell shouldn't spend money on a new pet. If you can't take care of yourself, how do you expect to care for your pet?

And I googled the Primarica a bit, dealing with MLM is bad but insuring through an MLM seems even worse or is that me being the sceptic?
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18479 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »

Ditto for horses.

Thanks for sharing!

I may have been unclear, I was talking solely about sourcing said puppy (free / abandoned / nominal cost puppies are available, like yours), not feeding and caring for them, which can be expensive, and which this individual seems entirely unsuited for. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18480 on: August 29, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »

A NORMAL deal is free.  A screaming deal would someone that paid you to take it away, or a puppy that comes with a 10-year repair and maintenance warranty.

Buddy of mine, on the phone,  "Hey Paddedhat, you interested in a free horse?"

Much like a sailboat (one of which I own), and I tell all my friends who start talking about getting one and sending me links to cheap boats asking for opinions, the price of the boat is the cheapest part of ownership.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #18481 on: August 29, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

Ditto for horses.

Thanks for sharing!

I may have been unclear, I was talking solely about sourcing said puppy (free / abandoned / nominal cost puppies are available, like yours), not feeding and caring for them, which can be expensive, and which this individual seems entirely unsuited for.

Indeed. The individual in question sounds like she's unable to feed herself, much less an innocent animal.

ETA: In the old days, kittens and puppies used to roam around the neighborhood and pick a free-range kid or adult to follow home. There seem to be fewer such situations now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:24:49 AM by TheGrimSqueaker »
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18482 on: August 29, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
A NORMAL deal is free.  A screaming deal would someone that paid you to take it away, or a puppy that comes with a 10-year repair and maintenance warranty.

Yes, a puppy warranty!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18483 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
We have a water cooler in the office so everyone can have hot and cold spring water for free.

There is an empty Poland Springs water bottle in the recycle bin.

So I guess someone decided it was worth spending money and disposing of a plastic bottle because they... wanted a different brand of spring water? Or... ?? I can't quite figure out the mindset here.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
    • How To Retire Early?
« Reply #18484 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
One of my colleagues strongly believes that it is less expensive to run his A/C the whole day while he's at work, than to turn it off when he leaves, then back on again.

Because, he says, it uses more energy to start the cooling process over again and cool the room, than to maintain a given (cold) room temperature. I'm pretty sure that's ignoring very basic principles of thermodynamics. Appreciate if any of you have a concise, yet authoritative site on the topic.

ereamrod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18485 on: August 30, 2017, 02:48:05 AM »
I'd just like to personally register my disdain for the term "adulting." I don't understand how being a semi-responsible adult (when one is you know, of adult age) became this thing you have to call attention to and be congratulated for. I'm not "adulting" when I go to the dentist or call customer service about my bill, I'm just an adult. I blame helicopter parents who have never let their kids do anything on their own.

That may be part of it. Many young adults (20s me included) are woefully unprepared for adult life. This could be from any number of factors. Helicoptering parents. Almost no life skills taught in schools. Having both parents working full time rather than having one stay at home to teach life skills--many of which are taken for granted by older generations. When you're in your 20s or even 30s and were never educated to do your taxes, find a physician, shop for insurance, etc., it feels like an accomplishment when you did it, because you also had to teach yourself how to do it.

this 100%.

I was a latchkey kid and had to figure a lot out on my own. My dad is an accountant and 66.  Despite trying again and again for help I taught myself how to do my taxes.  Nervous nelly will never retire because he doesn't think he has enough.  Mom owns a profitable company and they have 1mil+ in retirement accts.  Empty nesters too.  They just told me to avoid getting a credit card until after college and cosigned my 30k+ in student loans.  I feel like a productive member of society and therefore adult everytime I figure out how to do something on my own. It might be my favorite verb ATM.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18486 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »

this 100%.

I was a latchkey kid and had to figure a lot out on my own. My dad is an accountant and 66.  Despite trying again and again for help I taught myself how to do my taxes.  Nervous nelly will never retire because he doesn't think he has enough. Mom owns a profitable company and they have 1mil+ in retirement accts.  Empty nesters too.  They just told me to avoid getting a credit card until after college and cosigned my 30k+ in student loans.  I feel like a productive member of society and therefore adult everytime I figure out how to do something on my own. It might be my favorite verb ATM.

Damn, reading this makes my toes curl. The DW and I have had a really good friend, for many decades. She is the daughter of an accountant. Her dad is an uber control freak, who has a giant pile of coin, at least five million, or so, saved for his retirement.  Her little brother joined dad, in a partnership, right out of college, with the understanding that dad would retire, and walk away in a reasonable time frame. Four decades later,  more than twenty years past where most normal folks take a normal retirement, dad finally gives up control of the family firm.  He is still kicking, in his 90s.  Sadly, the son could of started with a big name firm, right out of school, done his time climbing the ladder, made partner, and retired, well before dad finally gave it up. On some level the son is more than a bit bitter about what could of been.  I hope your dad isn't another elderly accountant, sitting at a computer screen sixteen hours a day, during tax season, since he just "can't" retire yet.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18487 on: August 30, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »
A girl (29 years old) at work wants to get a Camaro as a weekend car. I'm pretty sure she makes $12 an hour, no more than $13 if there was a recent raise.

She has two older cars and wants to trade one of them in for the Camaro plus get a loan. She's not looking for brand new but something very lightly used, only a few years old. So still $10-15k or more. I've tried to hint a couple things like saying I only buy cars cheap enough that I can pay in cash cause I wouldn't be able to make the payment if I lost my job, etc... I've also suggested a 90s Camaro but she's set on the new styling, leather seats, and a very specific trim. She also has bad credit so she needs to get her dad to cosign. On the bright side, since she's so picky she hasn't found the exact perfect one for months now.

It makes me feel a little less ridiculous for wanting a second cheap car but then I think of this forum and all the facepunches I'd get for having two cars even if both are worth under $5000 total.

If she's still living at home, then her Dad should be the one to receive a facepunch for co-signing for her (if he does indeed do that).

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18488 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
One of my colleagues strongly believes that it is less expensive to run his A/C the whole day while he's at work, than to turn it off when he leaves, then back on again.

Because, he says, it uses more energy to start the cooling process over again and cool the room, than to maintain a given (cold) room temperature. I'm pretty sure that's ignoring very basic principles of thermodynamics. Appreciate if any of you have a concise, yet authoritative site on the topic.

"The EPA says it's better to shut off the air conditioner if you will be away for more than a few hours."
https://www.acdoctor.com/blog/turn-off-ac-or-leave-it-on/

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18489 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »

By that logic, you should just leave the oven on all day so it doesn't have to heat up from room temperature when it's time to make dinner.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18490 on: August 30, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »

By that logic, you should just leave the oven on all day so it doesn't have to heat up from room temperature when it's time to make dinner.

Yeah, but then the air conditioner you left on all day has to work harder because of all the extra heat... ;-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Board Member
« Reply #18491 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
I never turn my car off, that way it is at optimal operating temperature from the moment I drive away, saving gas.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18492 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »

Not quite the same logic, actually.

When our AC was out for a couple of days, it took about 3 days to get the house back cool. Why? Because everything in the house was hot. The couches, walls, floors, beds, tables, everything was over 90*. So the air was cooled, but the things were not.

It doesn't take very long to heat 5 cubic feet of air. It takes a LONG time to cool/heat a lot of things, and air.

I'm not saying he's right--but he has a valid, though mis-led point.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #18493 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »
Carpooled with a few co-workers to lunch last week (there were 6 of us) and one woman suddenly realized her Ford Explorer had six seats and offered to drive. She didn't know how to access the back row of seats because she had never used it. Single lady with a small dog driving a giant SUV with a third row that she had so little use for that she's literally never had anyone seated there.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #18494 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »

"The EPA says it's better to shut off the air conditioner if you will be away for more than a few hours."

* Assuming you live in a non-ridiculously hot area. I live in the desert and if I turn off the a/c while I'm at work then my fridge has to work overtime because of the heat. I end up with a ridiculously high bill because of the fridge and any food in the door goes bad (I hide dairy in the back corner to this day). For me, just cooling the place is cheaper although I do have different temps for when I'm home vs not home.
See my journal

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18495 on: August 30, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »

* Assuming you live in a non-ridiculously hot area. I live in the desert and if I turn off the a/c while I'm at work then my fridge has to work overtime because of the heat. I end up with a ridiculously high bill because of the fridge and any food in the door goes bad (I hide dairy in the back corner to this day). For me, just cooling the place is cheaper although I do have different temps for when I'm home vs not home.

Agreed. Even in non-ridiculous areas it's probably good practice to set a maximum reasonable temperature than to turn it off entirely.

The point though is that if it's more efficient to turn it off entirely then it's also going to be more efficient to raise the temperature threshold while you're out rather than leave it flat.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18496 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »

Agreed. Even in non-ridiculous areas it's probably good practice to set a maximum reasonable temperature than to turn it off entirely.

The point though is that if it's more efficient to turn it off entirely then it's also going to be more efficient to raise the temperature threshold while you're out rather than leave it flat.

Good point. There is an optimum temperature threshold, just gotta find it.

bender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18497 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »

What kind of temps are we talking?  90+?  Is the fridge in direct sunlight?  The argument that it takes less electricity to keep an entire home cooler does not make sense unless you're leaving the fridge door open.  I think it may be time for a new fridge.

Also the argument about keeping maintaining a consistent indoor air temp all summer is a myth.  It's much better to only run it when you're at home.  Modern AC units can efficiently cooling a place down very quickly.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #18498 on: August 30, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »

What kind of temps are we talking?  90+?  Is the fridge in direct sunlight?  The argument that it takes less electricity to keep an entire home cooler does not make sense unless you're leaving the fridge door open.  I think it may be time for a new fridge.

Also the argument about keeping maintaining a consistent indoor air temp all summer is a myth.  It's much better to only run it when you're at home.  Modern AC units can efficiently cooling a place down very quickly.

I admit, mine was an extreme case, but the point stands I think. I was living in a really, really crappy apartment where the only a/c was a wall unit about 8 feet away from the fridge. Downstairs temps averaged the mid-80s w/ a/c. Upstairs temps were typically 90-100 range (no a/c). It's amazing what you'll live with when you teeter on the poverty line. I have since moved.

But, that's extreme. In the real world, central air is at maximum efficiency when working on high. But central air also turns on and off as required so depending on your location, home insulation, and energy costs your results may vary.
See my journal

M5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18499 on: August 30, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

HA! I've had the exact same argument with people I work with. As long as your house is pretty well insulated, you should have no problem leaving your a/c or heat off while you aren't home (unless you will be gone for several days). I have found that even in 100 degree weather my house never climbs above 80. When I get home, I turn the a/c on for a couple hours and it's cool enough to last another 24hrs before repeating. Of course, if the outside temperature will be cool enough overnight, I open windows and let mother nature do the work for me.

Just for kicks, I left my a/c set at 72 for a couple days.. energy cost was more than double for those days!
My Journal

"All it takes is... Time, Money, and Beer"