Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6071024 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18400 on: August 13, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
A 70-year-old man still works at my plant even though he could have retired years ago. Has a pension and a 401k but won't quit because his ex-wife will get half his pension. Half of his pension is WAY more than anyone on this forum needs to FIRE -- not to mention the 401k, a paid off mortgage etc. I thought how sad that someone is so bitter that they'd rather work until they die than retire. Seems absolutely insane to me.
Maybe he's hoping that his ex will die first...

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #18401 on: August 13, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
A 70-year-old man still works at my plant even though he could have retired years ago. Has a pension and a 401k but won't quit because his ex-wife will get half his pension. Half of his pension is WAY more than anyone on this forum needs to FIRE -- not to mention the 401k, a paid off mortgage etc. I thought how sad that someone is so bitter that they'd rather work until they die than retire. Seems absolutely insane to me.

Never underestimate the stupidity caused by revenge (actual or perceived).  BIL and exSIL situation, 3? years after the divorce finalized .

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18402 on: August 13, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »

In the USA, generally are divorce settlements like this terminated when the ex spouse remarries or dies?

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #18403 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »

Which is maybe why judges in this country grant the ex spouse a portion of the pension from a certain age, not when the other one eventually decides to retire.

My dad is one of those bitter guys that otherwise would be capable of doing something like that. My mum always worked and earned more than he did, but legally back in the days married women didn't pay into company pension schemes and private pension schemes were almost unheard of. She married at 20 and didn't start paying into a pension scheme again until she was 40. ( and no matter how much my dad complains about my mum 'stealing' his pension, you won't hear him complain about how she paid their mortgage all those years when he was un- or underemployed)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18404 on: August 14, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »

Which is maybe why judges in this country grant the ex spouse a portion of the pension from a certain age, not when the other one eventually decides to retire.

My dad is one of those bitter guys that otherwise would be capable of doing something like that. My mum always worked and earned more than he did, but legally back in the days married women didn't pay into company pension schemes and private pension schemes were almost unheard of. She married at 20 and didn't start paying into a pension scheme again until she was 40. ( and no matter how much my dad complains about my mum 'stealing' his pension, you won't hear him complain about how she paid their mortgage all those years when he was un- or underemployed)

:o

Are your parents still together?

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #18405 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:41 AM »

:o

Are your parents still together?

No, they divorced some years ago, after being unhappily married for 30 years. Dividing the marital home, the pension and the furniture cost them 5 years and 50k. The kids were grown up and they didn't have real assets to divide.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18406 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »

In the USA, generally are divorce settlements like this terminated when the ex spouse remarries or dies?

Typically around here, the spouse would get half of the pension for the timeframe of the marriage

Lets say I have 10 years of marriage while earning my pension, which pays out at 2.3% per year of service. Then I divorce, and continue working another 20 years.

30 years of pension @ 2.3% per year = 69% of base salary as pension.

But the ex gets her "half" which is 10 years of pension @ 1.15% = 11.5%

Therefore, when taking the pension I would get 57.5% of base salary, ex would get 11.5% of base salary.

Which is notionally fair. Gains during the marriage are split upon divorce.

However, a lot of guys are so bitter, they will basically lie about the "half" the ex will be getting, and keep working out of spite.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18407 on: August 14, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »
This just happened today. I need to rant.

I'm currently working and living at an offshore financial centre where individual tax is extremely low but cost of living is somewhat high. We had a lunch and learn today where I met 3 people from a different department. We started chatting about island life, travel, vacation and etc. One guy mentioned a former colleague called Bob who quitted the job last year and has been travelling the world since then. He currently stays in India since March become it costs close to nothing to live in that country. Another guy quickly jumped in and added that Bob was able to save $50k during his 2-year contract here. All 3 guys were saying what a miserable life he must be living in and it was impossible to save that much!  I just said sure he can, $50k is definitely doable. They all stared at me as if I'm an alien. One guy said no way, you need to live a life here. Another guy said that life is short, why would you want to save that much after all. And no matter how much you save, you still can't buy a property here or a place in London (where he comes from). The 3rd guy added that sure you can save a lot of money and may get hit by a bus as soon as you move back to London, so why save.

I was speechless. I know saving $50k in 2 years is doable and I can even show them the math but I just kept my mouth shut. According to them, Bob earned $74k per year. Based on my calc, he gets around $66k net, which is $5500 per month. 1bd rent+utility would cost him around $2000 per month. If he had a roommate, it would be even less. Another $500 for home cooked food, $200 for internet and cell. That leaves him $2800. Fun money and etc for another $300. He can save $2500 a month easily which is $60k for 2 years. Bob only saved $50k so the math certainly works out. By the way, I spent less in every category myself.

I earn a bit more than Bob did and my goal is to save $50k a year. I'm on my way to my goal as I was sitting at the lunch table with those guys. Like I said, I kept my mouth shut.
Your co-workers are idiots. Bob was definitely the smarter one. Are you on one of the British channel islands? Perhaps I should have a look at the jo postings for Guernsey or Jersey, two years in a job like that and I would be done in stead of the 5 years left in Belgium ...

Offshore islands are definitely places to go if you want to accelerate FI. I've spent $0 on entertainment and shopping so far cuz there is just nothing to buy. You would feel trapped and that's why lots of people fly out every once a while to breath.  Since I've already had a taste of this life, I want to try something different. Belgium sounds great. Maybe we can swap jobs? LOL
At a previous job, some foreign assignments could be particularly lucrative--up to a 65% uplift in salary for the duration, plus tax assistance (employer pays the tax on the uplift), plus the company provides housing, transportation, etc for the duration.  IOW, you could be banking >100% of your (normal) salary without too much trouble.  I wanted one of those assignments, but sadly the scheduling didn't work out.

I dream about taking some of those jobs. Because of what I do, I see a lot of these situations all the time (clients). I also see how wasteful these people are. BTW, we as accountants get paid the lowest on islands and we get to see how ridiculous some people in Insurance and banks can earn. Free car, housing allowance, taxes paid for, and etc. Yet, there is this one gal who just upgraded her apartment from $5000 a month to $8000 a month. One gal, one bedroom! What can I say......

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18408 on: August 14, 2017, 05:42:58 AM »
This just happened today. I need to rant.

I'm currently working and living at an offshore financial centre where individual tax is extremely low but cost of living is somewhat high. We had a lunch and learn today where I met 3 people from a different department. We started chatting about island life, travel, vacation and etc. One guy mentioned a former colleague called Bob who quitted the job last year and has been travelling the world since then. He currently stays in India since March become it costs close to nothing to live in that country. Another guy quickly jumped in and added that Bob was able to save $50k during his 2-year contract here. All 3 guys were saying what a miserable life he must be living in and it was impossible to save that much!  I just said sure he can, $50k is definitely doable. They all stared at me as if I'm an alien. One guy said no way, you need to live a life here. Another guy said that life is short, why would you want to save that much after all. And no matter how much you save, you still can't buy a property here or a place in London (where he comes from). The 3rd guy added that sure you can save a lot of money and may get hit by a bus as soon as you move back to London, so why save.

I was speechless. I know saving $50k in 2 years is doable and I can even show them the math but I just kept my mouth shut. According to them, Bob earned $74k per year. Based on my calc, he gets around $66k net, which is $5500 per month. 1bd rent+utility would cost him around $2000 per month. If he had a roommate, it would be even less. Another $500 for home cooked food, $200 for internet and cell. That leaves him $2800. Fun money and etc for another $300. He can save $2500 a month easily which is $60k for 2 years. Bob only saved $50k so the math certainly works out. By the way, I spent less in every category myself.

I earn a bit more than Bob did and my goal is to save $50k a year. I'm on my way to my goal as I was sitting at the lunch table with those guys. Like I said, I kept my mouth shut.
Your co-workers are idiots. Bob was definitely the smarter one. Are you on one of the British channel islands? Perhaps I should have a look at the jo postings for Guernsey or Jersey, two years in a job like that and I would be done in stead of the 5 years left in Belgium ...

Offshore islands are definitely places to go if you want to accelerate FI. I've spent $0 on entertainment and shopping so far cuz there is just nothing to buy. You would feel trapped and that's why lots of people fly out every once a while to breath.  Since I've already had a taste of this life, I want to try something different. Belgium sounds great. Maybe we can swap jobs? LOL
You would not want that! My current job is boring as hell. I worked 8 years back office for the financial markets and I guess I am one of those weird guys who actually find Currency options or swations really interesting and downright fun. But Brussels as a finance centre is dead so now out of the sector completely and well, if you are used to working on the ritme of the market floor everything else is soooo boring ...
Working on the islands currently doesn't make logistical sense .There is the wife and the pet pigs (and the fact the wife can not lift the feedbags for the pet pigs ...)

I hear ya. It's hard to move once you have a family. That's why I wanna move as much as I can when I'm free and mobile. I turned down an offer in Luxembourg a while ago because I signed up my current job first. Maybe it's time to reconnect with them.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18409 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
I hear ya. It's hard to move once you have a family. That's why I wanna move as much as I can when I'm free and mobile. I turned down an offer in Luxembourg a while ago because I signed up my current job first. Maybe it's time to reconnect with them.
You didn't miss on much. Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

Source: close relatives who are actively plotting their escape.

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #18410 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
You didn't miss on much. Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

I am surprised by all the negative stories about Luxembourg and the Channel Islands. They are popular tourist destinations, you'd expect they would at least offer something in the way of entertainment.

If I had the opportunity, I'd certainly try Luxembourg. The city of Luxembourg is similar in size to my own city and I certainly enjoy it over here. And as Luxembourg is right in the heart of Europe, you can easily travel to other cities for the weekend if you're really bored.  But honestly, outside of work I don't really do much. I'm an introvert. I clean my house, cook nice meals, cycle around on a sunny day, when it's rainy I'll read a book or watch Netflix. Maybe I should seriously look for an expat job ... 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18411 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

I am surprised by all the negative stories about Luxembourg and the Channel Islands. They are popular tourist destinations, you'd expect they would at least offer something in the way of entertainment.

If I had the opportunity, I'd certainly try Luxembourg. The city of Luxembourg is similar in size to my own city and I certainly enjoy it over here. And as Luxembourg is right in the heart of Europe, you can easily travel to other cities for the weekend if you're really bored.  But honestly, outside of work I don't really do much. I'm an introvert. I clean my house, cook nice meals, cycle around on a sunny day, when it's rainy I'll read a book or watch Netflix. Maybe I should seriously look for an expat job ...

Chiming in here, and I'll add that Luxembourg sucks! Was dating someone that was working there and went there to visit her and tried to enjoy my time there but after a day we left and got a hotel room in Paris to actually enjoy ourselves.

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #18412 on: August 14, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »

Chiming in here, and I'll add that Luxembourg sucks! Was dating someone that was working there and went there to visit her and tried to enjoy my time there but after a day we left and got a hotel room in Paris to actually enjoy ourselves.

I very nearly went there a few years back when I was staying in Trier. I wanted to cycle to Luxembourg but it never happened. Sounds like I didn't miss out on much? Trier is lovely though.

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18413 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »

I very nearly went there a few years back when I was staying in Trier. I wanted to cycle to Luxembourg but it never happened. Sounds like I didn't miss out on much? Trier is lovely though.

Well, No place would be worse off than an offshore island in terms of being bored. Besides, I will get paid well and have easy access to other parts of the Europe. I don't party, drink, or go clubbing so no need to be in the heart of NYC. High salary and easy access to other places in Europe is a win-win to me. I know cost of living will be high but I'm used to it now. Believe me, I'm living in the most expensive city on earth right now so every other place would be considered "cheaper".

There was another offer in Frankfurt but I would get paid much less though. i.e. hurt my FI

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18414 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

Well, No place would be worse off than an offshore island in terms of being bored. Besides, I will get paid well and have easy access to other parts of the Europe. I don't party, drink, or go clubbing so no need to be in the heart of NYC. High salary and easy access to other places in Europe is a win-win to me. I know cost of living will be high but I'm used to it now. Believe me, I'm living in the most expensive city on earth right now so every other place would be considered "cheaper".
What is the "most expensive city on earth"?  I googled it and clicked on the top three links.  I found three different answers--Singapore, Hong Kong, and Zurich. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #18415 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Quote from: Paul der Krake link=topic=2540.msg1659596#msg1659596
Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish - all of his great-grandparents emigrated from Luxembourg to the US in the mid-19th century. I've never been there, so I can't comment on how exciting it is.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18416 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
Luxembourg is incredibly boring and superficial. Nobody has ever moved to Luxembourg for any reason other than work or lowering their tax liability.

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish...

Is that really the descriptor? Not Luxembourgers?

rockstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18417 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Mgosam what was so bad about Luxembourg? Just curious.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #18418 on: August 14, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

You have close relatives in Luxembourg? Cool. My dad was actually 100% Luxembourgish...

Luxembourger is the noun, so saying "my dad was 100% Luxembourger" seems ungrammatical. Luxembourgish is the adjective that describes stuff from Luxembourg (including the language), so that seemed like a better choice. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18419 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:08 AM »

I used a have a Dutch colleague who wanted to emigrate to Luxembourg, because it was his favorite country to be in. People are different.
I experienced the city as chaotic with traffic when I was there for a week some years ago.

MsSnowBlack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18420 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:07 AM »

What is the "most expensive city on earth"?  I googled it and clicked on the top three links.  I found three different answers--Singapore, Hong Kong, and Zurich.

Guess there are different reports on this topic. My source is from The crazy tourist & Numbeo. By the way, most surveys don't even include the city where I currently live. Here is a nice comparison by me:

1. Singapore

Average price of a loaf of bread: $3.55

Average price of a bottle of wine: $23.68

Average price of a liter of gas: $1.44

My city

Average price of a loaf of bread: $6.50

Average price of a bottle of wine: $25

Average price of a liter of gas: $2.10

It is VERY expensive if not the most expensive. If I move to Luxembourg, I can go to Germany for shopping, geographic arbitrage is the key.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18421 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »

Guess there are different reports on this topic. My source is from The crazy tourist & Numbeo.

So... Zurich?

DarkandStormy

• Bristles
« Reply #18422 on: August 15, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »

Luxembourger is the noun, so saying "my dad was 100% Luxembourger" seems ungrammatical. Luxembourgish is the adjective that describes stuff from Luxembourg (including the language), so that seemed like a better choice. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Legally, all citizens of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg are considered to be Luxembourgers per Luxembourgish law, although a distinct ethnic identification is espoused and promoted. The corresponding adjective is "Luxembourgish"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourgers
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 40k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18423 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
Two colleagues spent quite a while yesterday discussing how much they will need to cut back in retirement, listing all the things that they won't be able to afford to do.

One said will have to give up her expensive shampoo.

I googled the brand. $115/litre! For shampoo. Then another $115 for conditioner.

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair.

She is over 60 now and needs to dye it to cover up the greys, which is fair enough. But then she said she's had her hair dyed every six weeks since she was 20, changing from brown to blonde to red, etc.

Retiring one day was obviously the last thing on her mind when she was forking out that money, but colouring it unnecessarily for all those years only to reluctantly acknowledge you won't be able to maintain it in retirement? What a waste.

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #18424 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
Two colleagues spent quite a while yesterday discussing how much they will need to cut back in retirement, listing all the things that they won't be able to afford to do.

I googled the brand. $115/litre! For shampoo. Then another $115 for conditioner.

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair getting her hair coloured.

She is over 60 now and needs to dye it to cover up the greys, which is fair enough. But then she said she's had her hair dyed every six weeks since she was 20, changing from brown to blonde to red, etc.

Retiring one day was obviously the last thing on her mind when she was forking out that money, but colouring it unnecessarily for all those years only to reluctantly acknowledge you won't be able to maintain it in retirement? What a waste.

I have trouble believing she can't afford the cost of dye, it's like what 10 bucks a box?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18425 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »

She also said she won't be able to afford to keep colouring her hair getting her hair coloured.

I have trouble believing she can't afford the cost of dye, it's like what 10 bucks a box?

It is, but she didn't mention any plan to do that. Then again, when she inherited some money she had a face-lift rather than put the money towards her mortgage so, vanity at all costs.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18426 on: August 16, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »

I was about to come to her defense and say that nice shampoo is a cheap luxury--but holy cow, that ain't cheap. I was thinking my wife's approx. 2 liter bottle of nice shampoo that costs about $12.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18427 on: August 16, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »

I was about to come to her defense and say that nice shampoo is a cheap luxury--but holy cow, that ain't cheap. I was thinking my wife's approx. 2 liter bottle of nice shampoo that costs about $12.
Wow, holy shit.  Though my own perspective of shampoo/conditioner is warped due to being a 26 year old dude with a receding hairline.  Even $115/liter shampoo would probably still cost me less than $100/year.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18428 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »

I swear this pricing of ridiculous crap, is an intelligence test for people with too much money. Back in the 80-90s, I had a distant relative that was a member of the yacht owners and private island crowd. She made skin care products that were only marketed in very high end locations around the globe. She had a high volume cosmetics manufacturer produce drums of the crap, at a cost of a few bucks a gallon, and had it packaged into fancy bottles. These were marketed in a well produced displays explaining that they were ONLY available to very exclusive people, and only at the finest of locations. The implication being that, it was NEVER available in any place the commoners would have access. So, back then, you could go to any discount store and grab an eight ounce squeeze tube of the same stuff (labeled as generic, or house brand, skin moisturizer) for $3, or buy one OZ. while staying on some Greek island, for $30. We used to get the crap for free, and at that price, it was so unforgettable that it typically ended up in the trash, since nobody in the house bothered to use it.  It was nothing but a very profitable operation, based on the PT Barnum school of marketing.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #18429 on: August 16, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
Two coworkers forking out dinero $$...but its a GREAT DEAL!!! for new great big trucks with bells and whistles....LEASING, 18000kms/yr... $260/month... Nope not construction workers, not lawn care guys ... office workers...SO of one of the guys was worried about the parking garage and how to make the turns  ... sigh... though I suppose my not really mustachian mini van isn't any better ... but I do walk to work or ride my bike when I can! 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:17:44 PM by SweetLife »
Typos will happen, corrections appreciated, or just ignore ;)

CrabbitDutchie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18430 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
Not really overheard, but conversation with my old boss (an avid cyclist who on the whole seems pretty sensible with money) about the new job I'm taking which is a lot closer to where I live (12 miles each way instead of 27).

Me - I was thinking it might actually be possible to do that commute by bike. I could get a nice wee hybrid with a decent amount of gears and some road tyres. What do you think?

Him - Well road tyres make a big difference, but you know you could buy a car for maybe 150 a month

Me - ???

I think he maybe actually recognises that I'd be doing it mainly to save money and was trying to help by making me aware that I could drive a nice new safe car for just one low, easily affordable, monthly payment.
I already have use of a car (my boyfriend and I share 1 car and I currently use it to commute at least 90% of the time), why on earth would I want a new one?
Facepalm.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #18431 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

I swear this pricing of ridiculous crap, is an intelligence test for people with too much money. Back in the 80-90s, I had a distant relative that was a member of the yacht owners and private island crowd. She made skin care products that were only marketed in very high end locations around the globe. She had a high volume cosmetics manufacturer produce drums of the crap, at a cost of a few bucks a gallon, and had it packaged into fancy bottles. These were marketed in a well produced displays explaining that they were ONLY available to very exclusive people, and only at the finest of locations. The implication being that, it was NEVER available in any place the commoners would have access. So, back then, you could go to any discount store and grab an eight ounce squeeze tube of the same stuff (labeled as generic, or house brand, skin moisturizer) for $3, or buy one OZ. while staying on some Greek island, for $30. We used to get the crap for free, and at that price, it was so unforgettable that it typically ended up in the trash, since nobody in the house bothered to use it.  It was nothing but a very profitable operation, based on the PT Barnum school of marketing.

On the same note a few years back a well known label came out with "the best face cream ever!" made from .... drum roll please... snail slime  priced at over 40euros for a little tiny jar ...

You couldn't pay ME any amount to put snail slime on my face blech.... my hubby and I had a laugh about it though.
Typos will happen, corrections appreciated, or just ignore ;)

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #18432 on: August 16, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »

I remember a story similar. The details are fuzzy though. I can't remember the brand or where I saw/read it. A certain makeup brand was trying to break into the market at an affordable but still expensive range (like Revlon or loreal compared to the $2 brands). Couldn't make a mark so they repackaged the exact same product into fancy packaging, rebranded and launched in department stores for premium prices. Sales increased dramatically. People are strange.

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18433 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
Guy at my last job had a deal go sideways for a severance package around 2008.  He stayed at the company into his 70s to "get what he was owed."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18434 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »

Bingo. Mine is about $12/litre but I only buy it when it's half price.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18435 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
Guy at my last job had a deal go sideways for a severance package around 2008.  He stayed at the company into his 70s to "get what he was owed."

Wow, he sure showed them.

ಠ_ಠ

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18436 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
This is technically a "seen just after I left work" post but it's close enough, and I had to share...

I was on the subway and I noticed a guy next to me had this crazy-looking leather dog-shaped ... manbag? Briefcase? Bag. It looked well-worn and made of solid black leather, but it was shaped (in a very detailed way) like a little dachshund. So funny. And he was the last guy you would ever think to carry something so funny/silly, dressed in plain black pants, black T-shirt, black All-Stars, and had a slightly 'tough guy' look to him. Anyway, I sneaked a pic for a friend of mine who is crazy about dachshunds and we were joking about how I should have offered him $50 for it or something, because she wants it so bad. So I googled to see if you could buy them somewhere and HOLY SHIT THEY COST $2600. It's some crazy high-end designer thing. WTAF!
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #18437 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
This is technically a "seen just after I left work" post but it's close enough, and I had to share...

I was on the subway and I noticed a guy next to me had this crazy-looking leather dog-shaped ... manbag? Briefcase? Bag. It looked well-worn and made of solid black leather, but it was shaped (in a very detailed way) like a little dachshund. So funny. And he was the last guy you would ever think to carry something so funny/silly, dressed in plain black pants, black T-shirt, black All-Stars, and had a slightly 'tough guy' look to him. Anyway, I sneaked a pic for a friend of mine who is crazy about dachshunds and we were joking about how I should have offered him $50 for it or something, because she wants it so bad. So I googled to see if you could buy them somewhere and HOLY SHIT THEY COST $2600. It's some crazy high-end designer thing. WTAF!

I had to Google and click too, so now guess what ads I get?
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #18438 on: August 17, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »

I had to google this nonsense too (used incognito mode - thanks for the tip).  Oh holy fuck!  I have never seen anything so ridiculous as the advertisement for that bag at Barney's.  It looks like the dude is carrying around a little dog doll. New level of weird.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #18439 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »

I had to google this nonsense too (used incognito mode - thanks for the tip).  Oh holy fuck!  I have never seen anything so ridiculous as the advertisement for that bag at Barney's.  It looks like the dude is carrying around a little dog doll. New level of weird.
TIL tough guys and their money are easily parted.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #18440 on: August 17, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »

http://Https://www.adguard.com
And I think that would be a manpurse :D
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18441 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:42 AM »

Lookatmeism at its finest.

If it had been a female carrying a dog shaped bag it wouldn't have been as unusual. If it had been a flamboyant gay guy it would also not be unusual. No, this was someone looking for attention and basing his happiness on people's reactions to his bag. He saw you take that picture, oh yes he did.
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.

- Eres Un Esclavo Financiero
https://youtu.be/GO1Fsp4cUTQ

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #18442 on: August 17, 2017, 07:26:36 AM »

If it had been a female carrying a dog shaped bag it wouldn't have been as unusual. If it had been a flamboyant gay guy it would also not be unusual. No, this was someone looking for attention and basing his happiness on people's reactions to his bag. He saw you take that picture, oh yes he did.

Or he just really liked the bag and using it brought him joy?

Jouer

• Stubble
« Reply #18443 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:04 AM »

Maybe. But $2600 for a bag? Facepunch!

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #18444 on: August 17, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »

Maybe. But $2600 for a bag? Facepunch!
Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's an absurd price for a bag or basically any other article of clothing. My SIL has been talking about wanting a certain designer bag for a while and recently purchased it. I looked it up, it cost $7,500! Definitely facepunch worthy!

I was just pointing out that it seemed some were reading way more into this than it warranted.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18445 on: August 17, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »

I hope so :-) It looked very well-worn so it is either a much-beloved frequently-used item, or he got it used. I was just astonished that someone in the world at some point in time had paid that much for a leather dog.

This being NYC, you would have to be way weirder than that for people to actively pay attention to you on the subway.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Spiffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18446 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

I saw dog shaped leather bags all over Rome this summer. They were cute, but for a 10 year old girl, not a grown man. And they were cheap. Less than 20 euros.

Ann

• Stubble
« Reply #18447 on: August 17, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »

Isn't is a little vain to assume that total stranger is doing something just to get YOUR attention?  Maybe it's true, but that bag is totally cute.  Maybe he likes it.  I'm not saying it's Mustachian to buy a $2,600 bag!

Christof

• Bristles
« Reply #18448 on: August 17, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I found a bug on their web site...  There is a "." missing between $26 and 00.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18449 on: August 17, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
In the lift at work this morning...

Girl A: Cute bag! Is it new?

Girl B: Thanks! I wanted it for so long and kept waiting for it to come here but it didn't, so I gave up and imported it. It only cost me an extra $600!

Girl A:That's so good!