Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 5873595 times)

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #18000 on: June 24, 2017, 07:42:07 AM »
Reminds me of when PT Cruisers were first coming out and the people who pre-ordered were getting offered 2x the sticker price.  And not selling.

I have some hope to do this with a Tesla Model 3 I have reserved*. If I can flip it for 50% over sticker, that's happening. Below that I would have to run numbers due to the expiring tax credits, and paying taxes on the profit. I've got a good shot at the full $7,500 credit.

*Yes, I know. It's unmustachian. It's going to cost double what my wife and I have ever paid for a car, and will be more than the sum total we have paid for all cars in our lifetimes (married well over 20 years) So that's my confession for this thread. ;)
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #18001 on: June 25, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
I mentioned to two coworkers that we just switched to SlingTV to save $60 a month. Coworker 1 is pretty frugal and was asking questions. Coworker 2 stated that as soon as he started making decent money, he stopped worrying about how much things cost and that it took too much energy to be cheap. The kickers? We are all government employees so none of us make huge salaries. Same coworker also just moved house and now has three hour daily commute because he wanted a big house and couldn't afford one closer. That takes way more energy than being cheap!

I just smiled and nodded knowing that I will be mortgage free in a few months while having a 15 minute commute.  I guess being cheap does pay...

Acastus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18002 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:32 PM »
coworker can't catch a break:

- Inherited house free and clear. Now owes 3 years back taxes and is in constant fear of being foreclosed.
- No savings, no emergency account, no IRA, no 401k contributions. Emptied 401k earlier when previously laid off.
- Bought fancy truck for ~ annual salary. Traded it for different fancy truck 3 months later. Beater truck still worked.
- Needs fancy truck to tow cabin cruiser to and from lake, once per year each way.
- Owns several undriveable cars as nostalgia. Pays to garage them.
- Within 5 years of retirement. Life is unfair.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:02:54 AM by Acastus »

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18003 on: June 25, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
coworker can't catch a break:

- Inherited house free and clear. Owes 3 years back taxes and is in constant fear of being foreclosed.
- No savings, no emergency account, no IRA, no 401k contributions. Emptied 401k earlier when previously laid off.
- Bought fancy truck for ~ annual salary. Traded it for different fancy truck 3 months later. Beater truck still worked.
- Needs fancy truck to tow cabin cruiser to and from lake, once per year each way.
- Owns several undriveable cars as nostalgia. Pays to garage them.
- Within 5 years of retirement. Life is unfair.

Poor guy. Seems luck just isn't on his side.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #18004 on: June 26, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »

I know a friend who bought a car from her uncle.  She didn't pay in cash but made "payments" for several years.  The family was upset that the uncle would be greedy enough to charge INTEREST.  So, he sells her a car and the terms of the deal are made before it happens, yet this is greedy? 

It is incredible how totally ignorant the average person is about finance. So this uncle, unless he charged her at least a 3% interest rate, he would be losing money thanks to inflation. HOW GREEDY OF HIM TO WANT TO NOT LOSE MONEY. He's probably offering her a rate lower than she could get anywhere else and a lower rate than he could yield on his money elsewhere, but he's so greedy!
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18005 on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
This actually just happened.  I walked in while CW1 was showing CW2 how to use the iPhone app for our supplementary health insurance.  Apparently, until this new app became available, neither of them ever bothered submitting their health expenses for reimbursement.  They've both worked here for 10 years.  I know I claim about $3,500 per year for various things.  I can't imagine literally throwing away that much because filing some paperwork is too difficult.
This is so therapeutic!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #18006 on: June 26, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
This actually just happened.  I walked in while CW1 was showing CW2 how to use the iPhone app for our supplementary health insurance.  Apparently, until this new app became available, neither of them ever bothered submitting their health expenses for reimbursement.  They've both worked here for 10 years.  I know I claim about $3,500 per year for various things.  I can't imagine literally throwing away that much because filing some paperwork is too difficult.

My brother does this too. Blows my mind!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18007 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »

My parents used to do this. Once it was available online I sat them down and showed them how to do it and that seemed to help. Though that happened at the same time as a few other money conversations that led my parents to believe (accurately) that I've got a better grip on money and financial matters than they do, so they ask for advice and actually listen. It seems to be helping their finances, and watching them move farther from a state of "gonna need to support them in their old age" is definitely helping my nerves.

Oh, and then there's the conversation I have with colleagues.... "oh, new glasses! You look great! You know our insurance will cover 200$ of those if you submit the receipt, right?" No. they didn't know. Because apparently I'm the only person in the place who actually reads the benefits booklet. (Which also explains that they'll reimburse 80% of the cost of a massage, and you guys, I'm totally willing to fork out 15$ for a good massage).

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18008 on: June 26, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
Our old GM got married this past Saturday. One of my coworkers is still really good friends with him and was at the wedding. My coworkers' girlfriend was speaking to the new wife and she boasted how much everything cost, apparently the wedding was almost $150k.

The prices he remembered were these-
Wedding planner - $20k
Dress - $18k
Jewelry - $7k
Shoes - $1k
Flowers - $14k
Dinner/drinks for 250 - $45k

She's a nurse and he is now a new car manager at a dealership(He was a GM for about 9yrs with our company). He absolutely hated working the dealership hours and was always complaining about not having any free time. I wonder how much he's going to have to work to pay off the wedding.

Mind blown!
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.

- Eres Un Esclavo Financiero
https://youtu.be/GO1Fsp4cUTQ

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18009 on: June 26, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »

My parents used to do this. Once it was available online I sat them down and showed them how to do it and that seemed to help. Though that happened at the same time as a few other money conversations that led my parents to believe (accurately) that I've got a better grip on money and financial matters than they do, so they ask for advice and actually listen. It seems to be helping their finances, and watching them move farther from a state of "gonna need to support them in their old age" is definitely helping my nerves.

Oh, and then there's the conversation I have with colleagues.... "oh, new glasses! You look great! You know our insurance will cover 200$ of those if you submit the receipt, right?" No. they didn't know. Because apparently I'm the only person in the place who actually reads the benefits booklet. (Which also explains that they'll reimburse 80% of the cost of a massage, and you guys, I'm totally willing to fork out 15$ for a good massage).
That reminds me. We get 5 free health care-related visits per year on our employee assistance program. I've been meaning to find out if massages count.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #18010 on: June 27, 2017, 06:36:30 AM »
Our old GM got married this past Saturday. One of my coworkers is still really good friends with him and was at the wedding. My coworkers' girlfriend was speaking to the new wife and she boasted how much everything cost, apparently the wedding was almost $150k.

The prices he remembered were these-
Wedding planner - $20k
Dress - $18k
Jewelry - $7k
Shoes - $1k
Flowers - $14k
Dinner/drinks for 250 - $45k

She's a nurse and he is now a new car manager at a dealership(He was a GM for about 9yrs with our company). He absolutely hated working the dealership hours and was always complaining about not having any free time. I wonder how much he's going to have to work to pay off the wedding.

Mind blown!

I don't get it, this is beyond absurd...
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

MoMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18011 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »
My coworkers' girlfriend was speaking to the new wife and she boasted how much everything cost, apparently the wedding was almost $150k.

I too like to boast about the cost of our wedding. We spent a few hundred dollars!!

Officiator: Rent-a-preacher from Craigslist
Venue: lake house we were already renting (we didn't tell fellow vacationers we were getting married until 1 hour before preacher arrived)
Catering: fajitas from our fave TexMex restaurant.
Music: boombox.
Alcohol: BYOB
Photographer: Sis-in-law w/ point and shoot (GREAT pix)
Guest list: 6 (we threw a much larger reception party a week later in our back yard--maybe another $200)

It was fantastic! Our friends brought a giant box of fireworks (mid-July wedding) and got us a bottle of Dom P. Yum.
"He is richest who is contented, for content is the wealth of nature."

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18012 on: June 27, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
Heard at work that a software developer at one of our suppliers has applied to receive a money package to quit his job. And therefore, American rules, would be resigning in 2 weeks time. One of my colleagues said he was going to "retire". I wondered if the supplier was a Mustachian.
But today I heard that they managed to convince him to stay. Good for use, who need him really hard. But what about his retirement plans?

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18013 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
Heard at work that a software developer at one of our suppliers has applied to receive a money package to quit his job. And therefore, American rules, would be resigning in 2 weeks time. One of my colleagues said he was going to "retire". I wondered if the supplier was a Mustachian.
But today I heard that they managed to convince him to stay. Good for use, who need him really hard. But what about his retirement plans?
I wonder if they offered him a bigger money package to stay :)  Maybe this qualifies for the "FU money" thread!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18014 on: June 27, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »

Once you go to FI, you often find stupid lucrative money thrown at you to stay a bit longer. Many people take it (examples just from popular FI bloggers include RootofGood's wife and MadFIentist's wife).  Who knows how much they offered, and how long he'll decide to take it.  Another 3 months? 6? 1 year?  It's up to him.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18015 on: June 27, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »

That reminds me. We get 5 free health care-related visits per year on our employee assistance program. I've been meaning to find out if massages count.

I find my policy amusing on this one.  RMT is covered, but you have to get a doctor's note once per year to use the benefits.  The doctor's note costs anywhere from $20-$40 depending on which secretary is working that day.  That would bother me, except that I can actually submit and be reimbursed for the cost of the doctor's note.  So the control they put in place to stop perceived abuse of the system actually costs them more!
This is so therapeutic!

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #18016 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
Not necessarily overheard, but I witnessed my first pair of Apple AirPods in the wild! https://www.apple.com/airpods/
If it was possible, they look even dumber in person.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18017 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

I find my policy amusing on this one.  RMT is covered, but you have to get a doctor's note once per year to use the benefits.  The doctor's note costs anywhere from $20-$40 depending on which secretary is working that day.  That would bother me, except that I can actually submit and be reimbursed for the cost of the doctor's note.  So the control they put in place to stop perceived abuse of the system actually costs them more!

Which is doubly ridiculous because there are a lot of reasons to go to a massage therapist or physio instead of a doctor - like, post-pregnancy, my hip really hurt and the pain was radiating down my leg and into my knee, it SUCKED (turns out the bottom of my spine got a bit twisted and messed with the nerves, which messed with the muscles, which made the entire thing problematic). A doctor can say "there's a problem here", can prescribe painkillers, can order X-rays.... none of which actually fix the problem, all of which cost $$$$$. A massage therapist dealt with the muscle pain so the physio could show me exercises and movements that got everything back to where it was and now, 3 months later, no pain. Physio+massage together have cost my insurance less than 600$ total. Wanna guess how much a few doctors apts and X-rays and painkillers would have cost them?

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18018 on: June 27, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
OMG someone at work just emailed the company wide email (which people often use to sell things) that they are selling a shirt.

"I bought a shirt and didn't try it on because I'm lazy.  Turns out, it doesn't fit, so I'm hoping it may fit one of you!"

[Picture of very boring white peasant style shirt from Bergdorf's.]

Original price: $250 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Sale price: $80

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18019 on: June 27, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
OMG someone at work just emailed the company wide email (which people often use to sell things) that they are selling a shirt.

"I bought a shirt and didn't try it on because I'm lazy.  Turns out, it doesn't fit, so I'm hoping it may fit one of you!"

They paid $250 and now want $80?  Or the regular price was $250, and they paid $80 on sale?

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18020 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »

Well, I guess if they're too lazy to try it on before buying it then they're also too lazy to return it.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #18021 on: June 27, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
It's the end of the school year and several teachers are moving on to a new country to teach. I arrived in Shanghai with 2 suitcases and, my bike aside, intend to leave with 2 suitcases. I've become accustomed to other teachers taking much, much more when they move. Some I understand, as if they intend to stay here long term, perhaps they buy more furniture and treat their life here as a home. Others never plan to stay more than a few years and yet accumulate mountains of 'stuff' which they then ship onto their new country.

This week I had one which shocked me. They are shipping 74 large boxes and are paying... $6000. This included a life size cut out of their favourite footballer.

They came with suitcases and they've accumulated all that stuff in about 4 years. As I said, for a family moving long term, fine. But for a couple who never planned to stay long, I couldn't grasp buying so much crap in so little time and paying a small fortune to cart it on.
British guy in Shanghai.My Shanghai Journal

GrumpyPenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #18022 on: June 28, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
Not necessarily overheard, but I witnessed my first pair of Apple AirPods in the wild! https://www.apple.com/airpods/

Huh, I've seen at least a dozen people wear them in my day to day life.  I use a pair of ~$25 bluetooth headphones for jogging/commuting, but I can appreciate not having an extra strap between them and the much longer battery life.  The premium is steep and not worth it to me, but if someone is FI and gets good use out of them, I don't have such a negative view on them.  And I don't give a s**t about how I look when wearing my headphones, whether someone thinks I look dumb or not.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #18023 on: June 28, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »

Huh, I've seen at least a dozen people wear them in my day to day life.  I use a pair of ~$25 bluetooth headphones for jogging/commuting, but I can appreciate not having an extra strap between them and the much longer battery life.  The premium is steep and not worth it to me, but if someone is FI and gets good use out of them, I don't have such a negative view on them.  And I don't give a s**t about how I look when wearing my headphones, whether someone thinks I look dumb or not.
Same here- I'd LOVE a pair of small, independent wireless earbuds like the AirPods to wear under my gunmuffs when mowing the lawn. Am I going to spend the $160 on them? Oh, heck no- but eventually they should come down to being a reasonable price (like 'normal' Bluetooth headphones), and I can wait.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18024 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:26 AM »
At this very moment I am sitting on a coach in front of a truly horrendous person.

"I need to get my nails done but I need to find someone else to pay for it."
"Now I've got a job again my parents are really chill so I'll just ring up my dad and be like, 'Dad, this guy on the bus made me pay for another ticket even though I said I'd just, like, not printed my other one out.' He'll totally pay me back, like, it's only 25."
"For, like, five weeks I was just chilling out and going to festivals and stuff and my parents were just like 'What are you doing with your life?' And I was totally broke and they literally wouldn't give me any money, but now I've got this job and they're totally chill and I'm like, why couldn't you have been like this when I needed money before, you know?'"
"I've stopped smoking. But I just don't seem to have any more money. It's like I just spend it on more expensive food or something. I don't even know."

Plus the fact that she let this guy who likes her but she rejected move in with her (apparently they are sleeping in the same double bed?! But wearing pyjamas so it's, like, fine) and she said she might just have to start sleeping with him so doesn't move out because she needs a roommate (in what seems like a one bedroom flat?!)

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #18025 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:06 AM »
At this very moment I am sitting on a coach in front of a truly horrendous person.

"Now I've got a job again my parents are really chill so I'll just ring up my dad and be like, 'Dad, this guy on the bus made me pay for another ticket even though I said I'd just, like, not printed my other one out.' He'll totally pay me back, like, it's only £25."
"For, like, five weeks I was just chilling out and going to festivals and stuff and my parents were just like 'What are you doing with your life?' And I was totally broke and they literally wouldn't give me any money, but now I've got this job and they're totally chill and I'm like, why couldn't you have been like this when I needed money before, you know?'"
"I've stopped smoking. But I just don't seem to have any more money. It's like I just spend it on more expensive food or something. I don't even know."

Plus the fact that she let this guy who likes her but she rejected move in with her (apparently they are sleeping in the same double bed?! But wearing pyjamas so it's, like, fine) and she said she might just have to start sleeping with him so doesn't move out because she needs a roommate (in what seems like a one bedroom flat?!)
Let's hope for her that she looks hot.

MostlyBearded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18026 on: June 29, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »

"Now I've got a job again my parents are really chill so I'll just ring up my dad and be like, 'Dad, this guy on the bus made me pay for another ticket even though I said I'd just, like, not printed my other one out.' He'll totally pay me back, like, it's only 25."

Found this one hilarious SLTD!

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #18027 on: June 29, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »

Well, hilarious isn't my first pick. She'll end up leading the guy on unless she says exactly why she's sleeping with him... If the roles were reversed everyone would shame the guy but because it's a girl it's okay?
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #18028 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

"Now I've got a job again my parents are really chill so I'll just ring up my dad and be like, 'Dad, this guy on the bus made me pay for another ticket even though I said I'd just, like, not printed my other one out.' He'll totally pay me back, like, it's only £25."

Well, hilarious isn't my first pick. She'll end up leading the guy on unless she says exactly why she's sleeping with him... If the roles were reversed everyone would shame the guy but because it's a girl it's okay?
If the roles were reversed, I would high five the guy if just the sex would keep the girl from moving.

The other way around: probably not a big accomplishment, at least in the medium term.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #18029 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »

If the roles were reversed, I would high five the guy if just the sex would keep the girl from moving.

The other way around: probably not a big accomplishment, at least in the medium term.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18030 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
One of my colleagues was during the lunch break telling us about her weekend. It was her friend's birthday. The friend had been asking her for a long time to join her in an obstacle race (running 6km with obstacles like climbing a wall and wading through mud and such. She gave the friend for her birthday a night in a hotel for both of them, a party and two tickets for such an obstacle race. Afterwards there was also a lot of party and a lot of alcohol in a country where alcohol is the most expensive in the world. My colleagues was also telling us about all the races she was planning to do. Obviously a lot of her money is going to that sort of events. She is not a big spendypants in general, but obviously prioritizes her spending in this sort of stuff.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18031 on: June 29, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
CW: Going to the Thai place with us today?
Me: Nah.  Too expensive for me.
CW: Well, I have stopped going to the casino, so I have all of this extra money that needs to be spent on something!
Me: You could invest it.
CW: I have some investments*.

*He mentioned about a year ago that he has $80k in his retirement.  Could be $100k+ by now with growth.  Not bad, better than me, but he's in his late 50's, and has been at this company for 26 years.

This CW is also the same one that said I should do financial advising, but when I offered to help him for free, he refused.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18032 on: June 29, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »

SMH at how the other half lives.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #18033 on: June 29, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »

If it wasn't for the ocean I'd swear you'd met my 17-year-old daughter. I've been completely unable to teach her anything resembling a work ethic. She thinks she'll inherit money from my parents, or from me, simply because my parents are very well off and she's the only grandchild.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18034 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »
One of my colleagues was during the lunch break telling us about her weekend. It was her friend's birthday. The friend had been asking her for a long time to join her in an obstacle race (running 6km with obstacles like climbing a wall and wading through mud and such. She gave the friend for her birthday a night in a hotel for both of them, a party and two tickets for such an obstacle race. Afterwards there was also a lot of party and a lot of alcohol in a country where alcohol is the most expensive in the world. My colleagues was also telling us about all the races she was planning to do. Obviously a lot of her money is going to that sort of events. She is not a big spendypants in general, but obviously prioritizes her spending in this sort of stuff.

I don't like mud runs but I do spend a lot of my 'hobby' money on race fees! I honestly think that is an awesome present from a good friend and an experience they can share. 

I did a girl's race weekend away for my 40th and I will never forget it for the rest of my life, and it was worth every cent. :)  I can totally appreciate her spending though I know it's some people's worst nightmare.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18035 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »

Did she have a posh-ish yet Yorkshire accent? If so, her name is Charlie but her friends call her Queenie, and she doesn't get the joke.

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #18036 on: June 29, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
She thinks she'll inherit money from my parents, or from me, simply because my parents are very well off.

Sounds like my step sister. She's convinced of this despite both her parent and my parent informing all the children of their intention to "go out broke".
"There cannot be two skies"

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18037 on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:07 AM »

*He mentioned about a year ago that he has $80k in his retirement.  Could be $100k+ by now with growth. Not bad, better than me, but he's in his late 50's, and has been at this company for 26 years.

No, that's not bad... That is horrendous. I have about that much in retirement, and I've never made that much and am only 28.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18038 on: June 29, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »

Really?? I feel like everyone would shame the girl but if it were a guy they'd be congratulating him for getting some while also getting a cheap rent.

There was further horrendosity about the girl and this guy (Dan). She thinks she might be about to start dating someone else and was bemoaning the fact that Dan would be really awkward about it. No shit, you told him you weren't interested then suggested he move in and sleep in your bed? And you might start sleeping with him? Of course he's going to be funny about it. You couldn't be giving more conflicting signals if you were plugged in to both sides of a malfunctioning Morse machine.

And THEN she had the gall to say, and I quote, "I just don't want Dan to come to this party because I know he'll fancy my friend Rosie and I'm just not having that."

I really genuinely try in life not to be Judgey McJudgeypants and to think the best of people but I got two hours of this girl's monologue to her poor friend/colleague (I think the latter - they were on their way to a teaching conference) and not one thing she said made me the slightest bit sympathetic.

"It's just, like, I've been getting up at like twelve so it's like my whole day is switched round so even though I've only been up for like two hours it's like my body thinks I'm asleep. I know we're a bit late but when we get there I really need to get like another coffee and a sandwich or something." And there's me thinking "NO, COLLEAGUE. Do not be late because this stupid person wants to trail round looking for a nice cafe. ASSERT YOURSELF. Say you will go straight to the conference and meet her there."

"Why would you even get a salad from Subway, you know? If you don't want the bread, why don't you just, like, go somewhere nice? I literally don't get it."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18039 on: June 29, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
A colleague of mine is being hassled by someone she worked with at her previous job.

He has been made redundant at 55 after 25 years with the company, and received a payout of more than $250,000.

A lot of people expected him to retire, but apparently he can't afford to as he's been living beyond his means for years, including renting a house in an expensive part of Sydney for $1500 a week.

Now he's making a pest of himself with former colleagues, trying to scare up work.

doublethinkmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18040 on: June 29, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
A colleague of mine is being hassled by someone she worked with at her previous job.

He has been made redundant at 55 after 25 years with the company, and received a payout of more than $250,000.

A lot of people expected him to retire, but apparently he can't afford to as he's been living beyond his means for years, including renting a house in an expensive part of Sydney for $1500 a week.

Now he's making a pest of himself with former colleagues, trying to scare up work.
I would take that payout while skipping out the door!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18041 on: June 29, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »

If it wasn't for the ocean I'd swear you'd met my 17-year-old daughter. I've been completely unable to teach her anything resembling a work ethic. She thinks she'll inherit money from my parents, or from me, simply because my parents are very well off and she's the only grandchild.

LOL,  I honestly thought it was you writing at first, and that the punchline was that it is your daughter (or her friend) across from you ... until the pound notes started to pop in, and I registered shelivesthedream's name instead of yours...!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:27:39 PM by Goldielocks »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #18042 on: June 30, 2017, 01:54:46 AM »

*He mentioned about a year ago that he has $80k in his retirement.  Could be $100k+ by now with growth. Not bad, better than me, but he's in his late 50's, and has been at this company for 26 years.

No, that's not bad... That is horrendous. I have about that much in retirement, and I've never made that much and am only 28.

Maybe at 28 you haven't faced what this guy has. You sit there in judgement but for all you know he's supporting elderly parents, or a disabled sibling, or has even had monumental medical bills himself. What you see is just a hear-say snap shot of someone's life, and life is complicated, my young friend. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow. I know a dozen people in my city that have lost everything, who WERE insured and WERE saving hard, because the city was destroyed by a quake. I know a man who lost his house, his restaurant and his son in the space of 3 minutes. Sure, there are a lot of stupid people making stupid decisions around but I don't think you can claim superiority based on how much someone supposedly has in their retirement account!

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18043 on: June 30, 2017, 02:48:17 AM »

LOL,  I honestly thought it was you writing at first, and that the punchline was that it is your daughter (or her friend) across from you ... until the pound notes started to pop in, and I registered shelivesthedream's name instead of yours...!

I regard it as a curious but significant honour for my posts to be compared to TGS :)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18044 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »

Maybe at 28 you haven't faced what this guy has. You sit there in judgement but for all you know he's supporting elderly parents, or a disabled sibling, or has even had monumental medical bills himself. What you see is just a hear-say snap shot of someone's life, and life is complicated, my young friend. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow. I know a dozen people in my city that have lost everything, who WERE insured and WERE saving hard, because the city was destroyed by a quake. I know a man who lost his house, his restaurant and his son in the space of 3 minutes. Sure, there are a lot of stupid people making stupid decisions around but I don't think you can claim superiority based on how much someone supposedly has in their retirement account!

Based on the fact that this is a thread more or less specifically for that, why can't I? Besides, the rest of the post was this (emphasis mine):

CW: Going to the Thai place with us today?
Me: Nah.  Too expensive for me.
CW: Well, I have stopped going to the casino, so I have all of this extra money that needs to be spent on something!

Me: You could invest it.
CW: I have some investments*.

*He mentioned about a year ago that he has $80k in his retirement.  Could be $100k+ by now with growth.  Not bad, better than me, but he's in his late 50's, and has been at this company for 26 years.

This CW is also the same one that said I should do financial advising, but when I offered to help him for free, he refused.

cavewoman

• Bristles
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #18045 on: June 30, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
I know this isn't original by any means, but...

The other day we were at lunch and the topic of cable came up.  I said something about "good thing cable isn't really necessary anymore" (or probably it sounded judgier.. I'm working on that). And a work friend said "It is for us!"

Same work friend complains about money all the time.  They rent a house from her sister, and have such an inefficient a/c unit that they pay outrageous bills to keep the house at like 80-85!! (and I prioritize a/c here - last week it was over 110 for 5 days in a row)  I would hate hate hate paying 400-500 to still be hot and miserable.

She also isn't that great about bringing her lunch, or will bring a weeks worth of supplies for sandwiches or salads and then decide to go out on a whim. 

And joins the crew who does afternoon Starbucks runs pretty often.

And this one got me - her cat recently had to go to the vet because of a blocked urinary tract (something like that, I'm not sure on the details) and she was talking about the pricing - first they brought out the 2,000 bill with overnight stays and surgery, then the 1,000 bill which would solve the problem for good but they'd have to do the monitoring post op themselves, then the 400 bill which was a temporary solution and poor kitty will probably have reoccurring problems :(

I know that what people are willing to pay for their pets is a very personal thing, but it's just sad for poor kitty.  And with the a/c, I feel like getting their sister to put in a new a/c unit is the best option, but barring that, if they bought a new unit themselves they'd probably earn back their money in one summer of savings!  And with the cable thing, I'm proud that I successfully held my tongue and didn't say that if they cut cable (they have netflix, hulu, prime and a kodi stick) they could at least be able to afford the vet, or the a/c, or a million other things (not all at once, obviously) with the 200 they would not be spending each month.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #18046 on: June 30, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
And a work friend said ...

Two words that should not be next to each other, IMHO.

Co-workers are co-workers, and friends are friends, and the never the twain shall meet.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18047 on: June 30, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »

Co-workers are co-workers, and friends are friends, and the never the twain shall meet.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but some of the best people I know I met through work. There are different boundaries when we're actively working together, but I would've missed out on some great friendships if I had rejected all of the people I spend 40+ hours a week with.

rockstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18048 on: June 30, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

+1 times about a million

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18049 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »
  And with the a/c, I feel like getting their sister to put in a new a/c unit is the best option, but barring that, if they bought a new unit themselves they'd probably earn back their money in one summer of savings!

Or at least buy a couple of window units for bedroom/family room--thats what we did in a pinch. Worked shockingly well.